Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Good-Bye Mr Green?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Good-Bye Mr Green?

This ain't good. Pack and Green are not even in the same state let alone same ball-park...

"Green is thought to be seeking a deal worth more than $5 million a year and the Packers appear to be offering much less."

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=571947

I'll back TT here. I don't think Green is worth $5mil per season.
    Pass Jessica's Law and keep the predators behind bars for 25 years minimum. Vote out liberal, SP judges. Enforce all immigrant laws!

Green

Quote Originally Posted by b bulldog
    I'll back TT here. I don't think Green is worth $5mil per season.

We agree on this one. I love Green but I was thinking a 3 yr deal at 2 million per with a mill signing bonus. I wonder if some team out there is gonna give him what he wants?

It's a tough call. I guess if he's looking for $5 mil a year, letting him test his value in FA is probably the best thing. He's not an every down back, so I think that hurts his marketibility quite a bit.

I sure hate to see him go, though.

5 mil a year? Are you FREAKING kidding me?! Let him walk.

With all the talk about Moss and his issues, they are warranted, doesn't Green have a few issues of his own?? I could never respect a man that likes to batter his women
    Pass Jessica's Law and keep the predators behind bars for 25 years minimum. Vote out liberal, SP judges. Enforce all immigrant laws!

I think Green is worth 2 years 7 mil with 3 up-front and incentives to earn another mil per year if he makes the probowl. If he made the probowl he'd be worth it but I doubt he would so 3.5 per year is about fair.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Quote Originally Posted by GregJennings
    I think Green is worth 2 years 7 mil with 3 up-front and incentives to earn another mil per year if he makes the probowl. If he made the probowl he'd be worth it but I doubt he would so 3.5 per year is about fair.
    That seems to be more of a realistic set of numbers than what Ahman wants.
    -digital dean

No "TROLLS" allowed!

? HOFer
    I think the Giants will throw a lot of money his way for a year or two until they can find another lightning to compliment brandon jacobs.

Kickass Rat All-Pro CaptainKickass's Avatar

Pay him

Pay the man a deal just like - or similar to the Jenkins deal. That shows you he's worth at least as much as someone they consider a rising star, and it also locks him out of free agency for what would likely be the rest of his career. This also gives one advantage, one very intangible advantage and that advantage is quite simply - the comfort level of of Brett Favre.

If you want Favre to have 1 last shot - he has to feel more than comfortable with his supporting cast. He more than trusts Green to block for him, and he also trusts that he can catch, particularily out of the backfield, or on the - lately very occasional - screen pass.

That trust alone is worth giving Ahman green 5 mil per year.

Regards,

The Captain
    "Everyone's born anarchist and atheist until people start lying to them" ~ wise philosopher

I agree Nick but I wouldn't give him more than two years.

3 year deal at 10 mill. Structure so they can cut him after two and not take a huge cap hit. There, it's done.

Eric Von Zipper Rat All-Pro CaliforniaCheez's Avatar
    Green made over 3 million last year. 2.5 million was his base and he did make some extra incentives. I know 500K was earned for surpassing 950 yards rushing.

I suspect the dispute is over the length of the contract and not the financial terms.

It'll be interesting in the next couple days to see what other teams will offer Green. Maybe Green is thinking the Pack is low balling him and he wants to see what other teams will offer. I just don't see any team giving him 5 mil a year. But if someone does - congrats to Green. I'd hate to see him go, but I personally don't think 5 mil a year is worth it.

On the other hand, losing Green is going to hurt. You lose a decent starting back who knows the system and really have no one on the current roster to step up and fill in. (Maybe Green knows this and is using it against TT) Having Favre come back is huge, but without a decent running game, Favre is going to struggle again. IMO, Green is an important cog in this year's offense to establish a good running game. Granted Green didn't have a monster year last year, but I figured he'd be better this year - one year after the surgery. The leg will be stronger and he could push it a little more than he did last year.

What a sticky situation. I really thought they'd have this hammered out before FA. I hope they can come to terms.

My number for Green is somewhere around $4 mil/yr for 2 years...

He's an every down back, but does need to spelled every third series...

At $4mil and healthy, he's worth every penny... still a damn good back.
    wist

Wharf Rat Starter VermontPackFan's Avatar
    TT would be crazy to let Green test the open market, if he does, he is as good as gone. Someone will pay him big dollars...
    TT is not crazy, a last minute deal will be signed sometime tonight.

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    7 mil contract 3 up front 2 years with bonuses for 16 games played in, 10 total TDs, Probowl, 50 catches and over 1000 yards. Every time he hits one he gets a milion bonus. If he hits those he is productive and worth the extra cash, if not then he is worth the base 7 million. JMO
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

i'd hate to see him go, not just because it would completely screw up our RB situation, but because he's been a good packer

but i can completely see why he wants to test the market. this is a guy who's been one of the top rb's in the nfl. yet he has never once gotten that blockbuster deal that many lesser rb's have gotten. so if green bay only offered up another one or 2 year deal worth 3 million or so a year, i could see why he would try and find more, a lot more

We do not want to lose Green right now. With Green this team is close...more so than some folks think. If TT lets him go who does he replace him with? Not with a rookie.

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    worked for the colts this year

If we get a stud Rookie well heck ya let him go but man its AG!!! He is Green and Gold all the way through!
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.