By Tom Silverstein

Favre says decision isn't coming soon
Quarterback Brett Favre is still waiting to see what the Green Bay Packers do to improve their team this off-season and he said it's unlikely he'll make a decision by Saturday on whether to return for another season.

In perhaps his most forceful comments about his expectations for the Packers this off-season, Favre said in a television interview that appeared on ESPN Friday morning that if he doesn't like the direction the team is headed he will retire.

He said he has no doubts that he can still be an effective quarterback.

"I still feel like I can play at a high level and obviously the Packers do too or they wouldn't be concerned about my decision," Favre said. "But there are some things I have to sort out. There are some things I'm looking for in the team and what they're trying to do. I guess if those don't come together I guess I won't play. It's just kind of wait and see."

Favre is due a $3 million roster bonus on Saturday and the Packers were hoping that he would make a decision on his status by that time so they could make plans for the season. Favre said he wouldn't be rushed into a decision.

"Ted Thompson, the GM, and Mike McCarthy, the head coach, are good friends of mine," Favre said. "I've dealt with them before. I've been on good terms with them. I't's not like I'm delaying this on purpose. There are some reasons. We still have 160 days before the start of the regular season so I don't know if the decision will be made by Saturday."

The Packers have never said the Saturday deadline is non-negotiable especially since the roster bonus isn't paid until September and Favre doesn't receive it at all if he retires. So the Packers can let the deadline pass and not be on the hook for the money if he retires. Or they can push the deadline back as they have twice before.

Favre made it clear that the deadline didn't mean much to him and that reports that he must inform the Packers of his decision by Saturday are false.

"They would like to know something soon," Favre said. "Where those reports came from, it's just not true. If I don't tell them by Saturday, what are they going to do, cut me? I mean, I don't know."

Favre intimated that his decision on whether to return was less about his desire to play and more about the state of the Packers, who are coming off a 4-12 season and have done very little to improve their team on offense in free agency. Favre said he was monitoring what Thompson was doing to improve the team and wanted to continue to see how things unfolded going into the season.

"There are a lot of reasons why I haven't made a decision yet," Favre said. "I know I still love the game."