Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rumor I heard this morning

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Rumor I heard this morning

I heard that Detroit is negotiating with Oakland to send QB Josh McCown to Oakland for a 2nd day pick. Josh McCown would then be the starter in Oakland and would allow the Raiders to pass on Jamarcus Russel and pick Calvin Johnson #1 overall.
    To much of a good thing is an awesome thing

The Raiders and Lions are dumb!

Everything depends on whether or not they think Quinn or Russell has a chance to be a franchise QB.

If they trade for McCown - who obviously is not a franchise QB - and then go ahead and draft Johnson, then they've obviously concluded that Russell and Quinn aren't going to be franchise QB's.

If you have a shot at a franchise QB, you have to take it - don't know if Russell or Quinn is a franchise guys or not though.
    wist

Detroit and Oakland should quit competing with one another for the worst team in the league and just combine to have the suckiest team of all time!

Oakland generally doesnt take QB's high as far as my memory serves me. Walters was a 3rd and Tuiasosopo was a 2nd. Marinovich is the last QB I can think of them taking 1st round. I should research.

Edit:

Historically the Raiders draft a ton of lineman and DB's early and often. Going back through the 80's, Marinovich was the only 1st round QB.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

From what I've read about this rumor they are intertested in QB Trent Edwards from Stanford.

Eric Von Zipper Rat All-Pro CaliforniaCheez's Avatar
    I live in the Raider broadcast area and have seen a lot of games that weren't blacked out. Andrew Walter is a good QB and I think better than Alex Smith, Aaron Rodgers, Kyle Orton and the other QB's of that draft. All of them are still getting better.

With Randy Moss at the end of his career the Raiders likely will take Calvin Johnson, a sure thing, over a risky QB. There will be others available in the second and third who may be better than the top 2.

Bulger, Brady, and Hassleback were 6th round picks. I think Mike Martz would like to work on a project like that. The Lions have burned a lot of high picks though. McCown just doesn't have it and getting rid of him makes sense for the Lions. He would not be the starter in Oakland.

It is a relatively minor discussion between NFL teams. The Lions would like to have more picks even in the 6th and 7th rounds. Don't read too much into it.

Apparently the Raiders would make Josh McCown the starter because they like the fact he is mobile and he does not get hurt.
    To much of a good thing is an awesome thing

By pulling the trigger on this deal, Millen wouldn't be second guessed if he didn't draft another WR in round 1.
    "Every new beginning comes from some other beginnings end."

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Packface
    Apparently the Raiders would make Josh McCown the starter because they like the fact he is mobile and he does not get hurt.
    He also has a decent arm. Hard for me to hate on the dude cuz I always remember his great comeback in the desert against vikings. It was like he had been possesed by Favre on that last drive.

If trading Josh McCown to the Raiders increases the likelihood of the Raiders drafting Calvin Jonson, then in my estimation it's a bad move by the Lions. That guy seems to me to be the best athlete AND football player in the draft, and if he's there the Lions would be dumb not to take him.

It's a mess in Detroit right now. Shaun Rogers has not been attending workouts, nor have McCown or Williams. And it ain't like Woodson and Harris who work out on their own. Mike Williams is probably devouring a Tubby's Submarine as we speak.

The word is, from what i've heard, is that Tampa is pressuring Detroit not to trade McCown, and that if they don't then TB will then trade spots with Detroit so they can take Calvin Johnson, if Oakland still doesn't take him. Also, Al Davis told a reporter that even if they did trade for Josh McCown, they would still like to take Russell, and let him sit and learn a year.
    "I would love to have a guy that always gets the key hit, a pitcher that always makes his best pitch and a manager that can always make the right decision. The problem is getting him to put down his beer and come out of the stands and do those things." - Danny Murraugh

I seriously doubt that acquiring Josh McCown would preclude any team from altering their draft board.

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers
    I seriously doubt that acquiring Josh McCown would preclude any team from altering their draft board.
    Exactly.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

if this trade goes down, it might benefit us in two ways. first, det have no chance of drafting a stud WR that probably would torch us. second, having drafted CJ, al davis is more likely to trade randy moss.

Len Pasquarelli, of ESPN.com, reports there is a good chance the Oakland Raiders will draft Georgia Tech WR Calvin Johnson and not Louisiana State QB JaMarcus Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Brando19
    Len Pasquarelli, of ESPN.com, reports there is a good chance the Oakland Raiders will draft Georgia Tech WR Calvin Johnson and not Louisiana State QB JaMarcus Russell.

Well, considering even the janitors at all 32 NFL franchises think Calvin Johnson is the "consensus" top player in the draft, Len's really reaching out on that tree limb there....

Cripes, I could predict that. Len = Ms. Cleo.

? HOFer
    I think they still go with Russell. And Tampa Bay becomes potentially scary good w/ they trade down. Arizona will push to trade w/ Cleveland to guarantee themselves Joey T. Lions take Quinn at 4. Cleveland takes Peterson at 5.

Ihave had this hunch for a while now, but I really think Oakland is going to take Calvin Johnson. I'm willing to bet that they are going to enter Contract negotiations with both CJ & Russell, and CJ is going to come out looking better money wise to them than Russell, and they'll make that deal (like Houston did last year). After that, it could be a crap shoot. Does Detroit really want Russell? I don't think as much as they would like Defense or Joe Thomas. Plus "word" is that Marinelli has become in love with Gaines Adams. Cleveland LOVES Russell. Things could go so many different ways even IF Oak takes Russell, but things will go so many other directions if they take CJ.
    "I would love to have a guy that always gets the key hit, a pitcher that always makes his best pitch and a manager that can always make the right decision. The problem is getting him to put down his beer and come out of the stands and do those things." - Danny Murraugh

I'll make a prediction...if...IF...Arizona trades up...they'll go after Adrian Peterson. But I don't know that they'd have to trade up to get him.