Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: So now what? - Solutions Thread

So now what? - Solutions Thread

With the draft over and the bulk of free agency finished, the question turns to what is left that the Packers could latch on to in order to improve?

June 1st cuts are still coming so there may be some veteran players released and there are still a few players available via trade, for the right price.

What avenues do you see for Thompson? What ideas or solutions do you have at this point in time?

PLEASE, save your griping about what has happened for some other thread. I can't make you do anything but I'm asking people to try and make this thread all about solutions and ideas. I'm interested in reading ideas, going forward, for what the team can do. According to the phone call with Bob Harlan thread, Harlan stated that more players would be added before all is said and done.

I'll start the ideas...

D.Mason is/was available from Baltimore. It's possible that he is a guy that could be had for a mid to lower round draft pick. I don't know if he really adds the dimension that the team needs right now (Mason is more of a possession guy) but he's a bonafide NFL WR that could certainly look good with Favre throwing to him. I'm not sold on this move but it's a valid idea.

Another possibility, though somewhat of a long-shot right now, is Larry Johnson. If Johnson and the Chiefs get locked into a contract battle than there is no reason to think that it couldn't potentially end with Johnson being traded. The Packers have the money to take on Johnson and meet his salary demands. It would be semi-fitting for the Packers to finally catch a break by picking up someone else's underpaid and disgruntled player.

So, that's the idea. What do you have to offer in the arena of ideas, Packer fans?
    Life is a puzzle. Every day you get up and pick up the pieces from the day before.
    and
    You can't keep idiots from being idiots. You can only hope to contain them.
    and
    Idiots DO exist. I've seen them.

How much $$$$ do we have below the CAP at this time?

Can we start there?

GO PACKERS !!
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

I think the greatest thing to do right now is trade for Larry Johnson. He'd help the offense out extremely well. Keyshawn Johnson would be an ok possibility. He'd help out alot in the red zone. The Michael Turner talks have died down, but he'd be awesome to trade for. Jerry Porter of the Raiders would be another WR we could look at. He's got some issues like Moss, but he's damn good.
    I don't see any of this happening, but any one of them would be good.

Senior Rat Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27
    How much $$$$ do we have below the CAP at this time?

Can we start there?

GO PACKERS !!
    They will have about 9 million after signing the rookies, unless something earth shattering happens next year they will have about 40 billion to spend I can't wait to see how cheapskate manages that money. Sorry million, same thing when it is monopoly money anyways. As far as help goes there are few options I for one would find out what kind of money faneca wants, maybe Dillon, I realize that won't help with the youth movement but, I think Clifton and Tauscher are still elite, Wells is average, putting another mean MFer in there might actually allow us not to use max protect, and Dillon is insurance.

The fact the team has so much cap room is why we're a team that could take on a Briggs or L.Johnson, should a trade occur. We're one of the few teams that can still take on a big salary. I think that cap room is one of the reasons why a nice acquisition via trade or June 1 cut is a possibility. What teams are closes to the cap or over right now? Anyone know? Maybe we can look at their rosters and make an educated guess on who may be cut?
    Life is a puzzle. Every day you get up and pick up the pieces from the day before.
    and
    You can't keep idiots from being idiots. You can only hope to contain them.
    and
    Idiots DO exist. I've seen them.

First they need to see what they have when the rookies mix with the vets at the minicamp. Usually the ones with real talent stand out right away (e.g. Jennings last year).

Quote Originally Posted by Brando19
    I think the greatest thing to do right now is trade for Larry Johnson. He'd help the offense out extremely well. Keyshawn Johnson would be an ok possibility. He'd help out alot in the red zone. The Michael Turner talks have died down, but he'd be awesome to trade for. Jerry Porter of the Raiders would be another WR we could look at. He's got some issues like Moss, but he's damn good.
    I don't see any of this happening, but any one of them would be good.
    I think you may be on to something here, well, at least with two of the guys you mentioned - Turner and Johnson. I love the idea, however, the draft is over and I would think that if TT was going to swing a trade for either of those guys, it would have happened then. Unless you're talking a trade involving players, I doubt TT is going to shell out any draft picks for next year.

You think KC would take Fergie, Barry, Cole and Herron for Johnson?

So now what?

Simple. Let the young guys play.

Anyone who could've made an impact is gone. Long gone. Yeah, a couple of guys will hit the market June 1. Lets just say for the purposes of argument it's a half-decent RB. We need one (many would argue), and Tennessee needs one. One could also claim that Buffalo could use one, if for nothing else for insurance on Lynch. Do you really believe that Thompson would win a bidding war? Didn't think so.

You name the player. You name the position. If they're quality, they'll be some demand. This offseason obtaining players who are in demand has been difficult. To date, I count ZERO. You could also make the case that last season it was largely the case as well.

Will we sign players? Sure. They'll be able to fill some spots with depth. That's good, I guess.

Ted has committed us to building around the "youth" movement. These guys need to play. That's the ONLY way we improve, and the ONLY way we know if the young guys can cut it.

It won't be pretty at times, (probably most of the first six weeks), but that's just the way it is. We just need to live with it, root for them, and adjust our expectations for it. That's what Brett is doing. He just got a late start over what some of us here have been doing for weeks. Favre believed Moss was coming here, I believed Ahman Green was staying. We both got disappointed. It happens.

Let the young guys PLAY.

Simple. Let the young guys play.

Exactly. These young guys were drafted for a reason. Let's let them compete for the jobs............let's see what they can do.

I agree. Let the young guys play. There just aren't as many guys being released these days due to salary cap concerns, because the cap has gone up so much in recent years. Cornerback is one area where TT might be looking for more depth, especially if Blackmon doesn't show much in the mini-camps.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Good thought for a thread but I don't see how TT would even entertain the idea of signing LJ or Turner now that he's spent a 2nd round pick on Jackson. The whole basis for the zone blocking scheme is the ability to have replaceable lineman and running backs. Linemen that are smaller and mobile that most teams deem a liability in the power running game and running backs that don't need to be talented, just quick and vision for that one cut.

Given we have a glut of wide receivers to evaulate (Martin, Holliday, and Brewster from last year and rookies Jones and Clowney from this year) why would TT pickup an aged veteran when it would prevent the growth of a young player and provide little in the way of overall improvement now that Moss and Jackson (really the only two WR FA's I'd have wanted) are already traded.

TE is the only position I could see snagging a veteran if available. Then again maybe TT and M3 see something in the youngsters we have given they they kept four on the roster last year and only Martin is gone.

Our O-line is already pretty much set and we have some depth if needed should Coston step up Barbe show something.

Full back and running back appear pretty set if Hall's conversion goes okay and Jackson and Morency split carries with Pope/Beach/Wynn hopefully beating out Herron.

Our D-line looks solid and deep and unless in the cuts a SAM becomes available to push Pops I don't see any signings here.

The only place I see a FA coming in would be cornerback as after Harris and Woodson, Walker and Blackmon are unknown qualities and Dendy has limited upside.

Sorry to be a buzz kill but TT likes the roster the way it is for good or bad. I don't see any new FA signings that will ignite interest. Might as well load up the fridge with beer and look to restock often for what will be a polarizing - no pun intended year.
    60% of the time it works every time.

I would let the team evolve and see where we are.
    A great deal of talented youth has been added; it's time to see
    how far they've come.
    Keshawn Johnson would add little. Better to see what the young receivers can do.
    A backfield load shared by Morency & Jackson just might be very good - who knows?
    I would certainly keep alert to future cuts, but I would not sign players simply to 'add players'. That would be counterproductive.
    The minicamps will give the coaches an idea of what they've got; future moves will be based on those evaluations.
    Who Knows? The Shadow knows!

Blog Entries
    With TT's history I highly doubt he's giving up any draft picks for players.

I too say let the bodies play; we had our chances and the scraps are left.
    We aren't winning a Super Bowl anytime soon so we might as well see if the young guys can get us to or past mediocre.
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

sHOULDN'T THAT INCLUDE THE qb POSITION?
    Pass Jessica's Law and keep the predators behind bars for 25 years minimum. Vote out liberal, SP judges. Enforce all immigrant laws!

This may sound crazy, but I'm fine with the RBs we have now. Jackson and Morency will do just fine. Morency looked promising last season and has supposedly retuned his body. Jackson could be this year's Joseph Addai.
    "I've got one word for you- Dallas, Texas, Super Bowl"- Jermichael Finley

Mason

Mason's not a bad idea if he becomes available. We need some kind of insurance policy on Driver should the law of averages catch up with him.

Quote Originally Posted by BallHawk
    This may sound crazy, but I'm fine with the RBs we have now. Jackson and Morency will do just fine. Morency looked promising last season and has supposedly retuned his body. Jackson could be this year's Joseph Addai.
    It's going ot be an exciting season. I'm really looking forward to seeing these young guys play.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Quote Originally Posted by BallHawk
    He could also be this years JJ Arrington.

Re: Mason

Quote Originally Posted by Packnut
    Mason's not a bad idea if he becomes available. We need some kind of insurance policy on Driver should the law of averages catch up with him.
    I always thought Mason was undrrated. He was, at one point anyway, a dynamic player. I don't know how he plays now but he is a lot like Driver IMO.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Quote Originally Posted by b bulldog
    sHOULDN'T THAT INCLUDE THE qb POSITION?
    Only if we trade for Tom Brady.