Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Healthy Jennings, Newcomer Jones Should Boost Passing Game

Healthy Jennings, Newcomer Jones Should Boost Passing Game

www.packers.com/news/stories/2007/05/23/1/

Healthy Jennings, Newcomer Jones Should Boost Passing Game

by Mike Spofford, Packers.com
    posted 05/23/2007

While much has been said during the offseason about the wide receiver the Packers didn't acquire, last weekend's minicamp put significant focus on two offensive weapons that have been added to the passing game since the end of the 2006 season.

One is Greg Jennings, or a healthy Greg Jennings that is. That's a weapon the Packers didn't have for the final 10 1/2 games last season.

The other is James Jones, a third-round draft choice who was doing his best to impersonate the 2006 second-round pick, Jennings, at least as far as first impressions go.

Though he never used the ankle injury sustained in Miami in Week 7 as an excuse, Jennings clearly wasn't the same player from then on in his rookie season. Because of other injuries and youth at the position, his return to the field just two weeks later was a sign more of the team's need for his skills, even at less than 100 percent, than the fact that he was actually healthy.

But the bum ankle is long behind him now, and Jennings looked like his old self at this past weekend's minicamp, cutting and coming out of breaks smoothly and at full speed.

"He's back," Head Coach Mike McCarthy said after the first minicamp practice. "I think you're going to see an improved Greg Jennings. He's more mature, he's stronger. You can see that in his body."

Despite playing in eight straight games after missing just one (vs. Arizona, Oct. 29) with the ankle injury, Jennings wasn't really full strength until the final week of the season, according to McCarthy. And then he didn't even play in that final game, missing it to be with his wife for the birth of their child.

Should Jennings remain healthy this season, his offensive contributions are likely to increase from last year, when he was still named to Pro Football Weekly's All-Rookie team despite less production later in the year.

Through the first five games last season, Jennings had 20 catches for 364 yards and three touchdowns, including two 100-yard games. Beginning with the Miami game, when he was hurt late in the second quarter on a 14-yard catch over the middle and missed the rest of the contest, Jennings had 25 catches for 268 yards and no TDs over the final 11 games.

"Greg is a great receiver, he's a young guy that knows he can play this game," veteran Donald Driver said. "He stepped up last year. I think if he wouldn't have gotten hurt last year, he probably would have had 1,000 yards."

Projecting his healthy statistics over a full 16-game season, Driver is right - Jennings would have 64 catches for 1,165 yards with nine TDs and six 100-yard games. Pair that with another solid season from Driver, who has posted three consecutive 1,200-yard seasons, and the Packers should have a productive starting duo.

"We feel there's enough weapons, and I'm one of those weapons, hopefully," Jennings said. "I definitely think we're going to be a better offense than we were last year.

"We have a lot of young guys. Myself, I have a year of experience, so I have something to build off of, and I know what to expect, and so do some of the other guys."

One of those young guys still learning what to expect is Jones, who has made a favorable first impression similar to Jennings last season.

While it would be unfair to Jones to heap those kinds of expectations on him, he does exhibit a physical development to his body and a fluidity to his movements that suggest a maturity beyond his rookie status. Backup quarterback Aaron Rodgers noted he was impressed with Jones' hands and his body control, already reading his body language as far as how he runs his routes.

"He always catches the ball extended away from his body," McCarthy said. "That's what you're always trying to teach young guys, and he does it extremely natural. I think the young man has a bright future."

McCarthy said similar things about Jennings in the early going last year, but it's too early to take the comparisons any further. Jennings came to Green Bay as a three-year college starter with three 1,000-yard seasons, whereas Jones was a full-time starter only last year at San Jose State.

But he also comes in with no worries about competing for a starting job, which should help him maintain his confidence even if he drops a pass or two like he did in the final practice on Sunday.

"I definitely take pride in catching everything with my hands," Jones said. "I don't let too much hit my body.

"Since college I've believed I could be a good NFL receiver. To come up here and get coaching from these guys and see how everybody plays and see what it takes to be up here, I'm getting it."

Like Jennings, Jones also is certain to benefit from battling against veteran cornerbacks Al Harris and Charles Woodson regularly in practice. He said he was teased by Harris during one of Saturday's practices for pushing off and "using that college technique," but that's all part of the learning process, and he's already using Driver and Jennings as teachers in that respect as well.

"They've been giving me a couple tips and reminders, how to beat certain defenses and things like that from what they've seen," Jones said. "It's definitely a help because I'm still doing it the college way. It's definitely a help to get in here and play against the guys and see how fast this stuff is going to be."

I think Favre will have better numbers next year with an improved O-LINE, and a receiving core that is gaining more depth...

No more Taco Boy lining up to the left side of Favre

I think Jennings will be the player we will all be talking about this year as he has a true breakout season.
    Who Knows? The Shadow knows!

From everything I've read, Jones didn't exactly make a name for himself at either the rookie or regular mini-camps. Personally, I doubt very much that he is going to provide much of anything in 2007. Jennings clearly wore down during the year last year...and he proved himself over several years in college at a similar level of play to what Jones faced for more or less one season. Jennings also make a quick splash last year and looked good right away...leading the NFL in receiving during preseason.

Jones may become a solid #2 receiver down the road...but I just don't see him bringing much to the table short term.

Quote Originally Posted by The Leaper
    From everything I've read, Jones didn't exactly make a name for himself at either the rookie or regular mini-camps. Personally, I doubt very much that he is going to provide much of anything in 2007. Jennings clearly wore down during the year last year...and he proved himself over several years in college at a similar level of play to what Jones faced for more or less one season. Jennings also make a quick splash last year and looked good right away...leading the NFL in receiving during preseason.

Jones may become a solid #2 receiver down the road...but I just don't see him bringing much to the table short term.
    Come on! Try to spread just alittle sunshine?

I don't expect much from Jones... and while I like Jennings, and expect his production to be more consistent, I still don't expect the passing game to be very productive as a whole.

For the most part, I see them picking up right where they left off at the end of last season, i.e. no red zone offense, max protect, inconsistent running; and, given that they don't have a RB that can move the pile, I expect they'll struggle mightily in short yardage situations.
    wist

Thats true with Jennings having more experience in college and averaging 1,000 yards per season helped his rookie year. Lets not get ahead of ourselves here. Most rookie WR have trouble adjusting. Like several posters have said, 2007 might not be that productive for Jones but look out for 2008 and beyond.

Where the hell is Piglet when we need him??
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Quote Originally Posted by wist43
    I don't expect much from Jones... and while I like Jennings, and expect his production to be more consistent, I still don't expect the passing game to be very productive as a whole.

For the most part, I see them picking up right where they left off at the end of last season, i.e. no red zone offense, max protect, inconsistent running; and, given that they don't have a RB that can move the pile,I expect they'll struggle mightily in short yardage situations.
    ''I expect they'll struggle mightily in short yardage situations'' fr. above

Did Ted Thompson account for that possibility in our off season?

Did he provide us with that big bruising RB that can get the 3rd and shorts done?

Guessing now that wasn't in HIS PLAN.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27
    Did he provide us with that big bruising RB that can get the 3rd and shorts done?
    What the hell do you call Wynn? How about utilizing the FB more now that creaky Henderson is out of the picture?

There are 5 or 6 backs on the final roster...you don't need all of them to be 6'2" and 250.

Quote Originally Posted by The Leaper
    Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27
    What the hell do you call Wynn? How about utilizing the FB more now that creaky Henderson is out of the picture?

There are 5 or 6 backs on the final roster...you don't need all of them to be 6'2" and 250.
    Ohh geee really screwed myself there.

I was ' of course ' thinking FA, and that 'of course' isn't in TT's PLAN.

Yup . . .we've got the No. 228th 7th Rd. pick DeShawn Wynn as an option. Of course, that fits TT's budget constraints.

Some day will Ted Thompson be able to author a book entitled. . .

Being an NFL GM 'on the cheap' - 101 ???
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar

For the most part, I see them picking up right where they left off at the end of last season, i.e. no red zone offense, max protect, inconsistent running; and, given that they don't have a RB that can move the pile, I expect they'll struggle mightily in short yardage situations.
    Well, if the defense can pick it up from the end of last season, I can live with that.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

We're going to need decent passing game to win.

If the running game is as good as some here believe it will be. Then there is no reason that we can't be legitimate NFCN contenders.

I do trust that the OL will grow into it's second season with the ZBS.With that being a reality our running game will advance from what we saw in 2006.

That should reflect better Red Zone production.

I do trust that we will see a reduction in dropped pass's. Again lending towards better production in the RED.

I trust that our 'D' will pick up fast fr. where it was at the end of 2006; yet examine that portion of our schedule fr. last season before you get over confident with our 'D's 'status.

On the plus side last season we began to see some TO's for our side and our ability to sack the QB return.

There are alot of 'if's' but the final answers don't begin till September.

GO PACKERS !

I think the defense can be ok against the weak sisters of the NFC North, and other offensively challenged teams; but against better teams, they'll be exposed.
    wist

Big bruising RBs don't usually have good one-cut ability. That's why the Falcons got rid of Duckett, the Broncos haven't had big RBs, and Davenport and Gado were bad fits last year in the ZBS.

I suspect our running game isn't going to be as bad as people project. We did spend a 2nd round pick on a RB that I like. Also, Morency flashed some ability last year (over 200 yards in 2 starts). While I don't think he was as good as Ahman was last year (mainly because of who he got his carries against), he's a young guy that should get better.

I think the defense can be ok against the weak sisters of the NFC North, and other offensively challenged teams; but against better teams, they'll be exposed.
    Hey, what are you predicting for this season? I think you projected 4 victories last year, and we got 8. I projected 8 (maybe it was 7), and we got 8.

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers
    Hey, what are you predicting for this season? I think you projected 4 victories last year, and we got 8. I projected 8 (maybe it was 7), and we got 8.
    You as I did, projected 7 wins last season Harvey.

I believe that it's too soon to really project how we'll do in regards to number of wins.

Our SOS is alot harder than in 2006. We need to learn more on our teams real capability on 'O'.

It's still early... but I'll come in at about 7-9 at this point.

If Favre weren't there, I'd be looking at 3-13/4-12.

As for last year, they may have finished 8-8, but they were a 4-12 team IMO. Those last 4 games were deceiving... and I know you're familiar with the arguments against Detroit, Minnesota, and Chicago. SF is just one of those teams that GB has their number.

So I severely discount those last 4 games. When they played good teams, they got absolutely hammered.
    wist

Weak sisters,