Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tory Humphrey broke his leg ... was Bubba in the area?

Senior Rat HOFer the_idle_threat's Avatar

Tory Humphrey broke his leg ... was Bubba in the area?

Notes: Humphrey injures left leg

Tight end suffers broken fibula

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=639355

By TOM SILVERSTEIN
    tsilverstein@journalsentinel.com
    Posted: July 28, 2007

Green Bay - The Green Bay Packers suffered a significant blow to their tight end position on the first day of training camp practice.

Tory Humphrey, whom coach Mike McCarthy singled out last week as having one of the better off-seasons on the team, suffered a significant left leg injury and will be sidelined for several weeks.

According to a source familiar with the injury, X-rays showed he suffered a broken fibula, the smaller of the two bones in the lower leg. There's a chance Humphrey will undergo further medical tests to determine whether he suffered any tissue damage in the ankle.

The 6-foot-2, 250-pound Humphrey was working behind starter Donald Lee and was considered a good candidate for playing time this year, possibly ahead of veteran Bubba Franks. Though the shortest of the legitimate contenders for the job, he has speed down the field and isn't afraid to block someone.

Losing Humphrey on the first day of practice wasn't exactly the way McCarthy wanted to start camp.

"Individually, you feel bad for Tory because of the type of spring he's had," said McCarthy, who was unaware of the severity of the injury when he spoke with reporters. "I feel bad for him, but once again, it's a part of our game. It's unfortunate, but it gives other guys opportunities.

"You hate to see something like that happen anytime, but more important, on the first day."

Humphrey was blocking on the left side of the line during a running play when he got hurt. McCarthy said Humphrey was not clustered with other players and appeared to be out in space when he went down.

The top three tight ends on the depth chart are Lee, Franks and Zac Alcorn. Lee continues to work ahead of Franks, who is going to need a great camp to regain his starting position. Lee took the majority of snaps on the first day and said he was trying to take advantage of every opportunity.

"I'm just trying to make the best of the reps that I get," Lee said.

Humphrey's injury could take four weeks or more to heal depending on the severity. That will limit his opportunity to show he belongs on the field, but the Packers also have a pretty good feel for what kind of player he is.

Humphrey joined the Packers late in the 2005 season and has played in eight games since. He has played mostly on special teams and has not caught a pass.

Senior Rat HOFer the_idle_threat's Avatar
    Tough break ... ... especially on the first day.

My conspiracy question is ... was anybody watching Bubba? Maybe he has a new strategy to keep his job ...

Block 'em low!

This is never good. I hate to say it at this time, but Humphrey is the guy among the TE corps that least excited me. It sounds like they may only carry 3 TEs this year. I'm hoping Lee shows he belongs, and I'm more intrigued by Alcorn and Harris. Then there's Bubba. I think he's close to being done, but at least he's a decent blocker. Humphrey just always seemed limite because he's so short.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers
    This is never good. I hate to say it at this time, but Humphrey is the guy among the TE corps that least excited me. It sounds like they may only carry 3 TEs this year. I'm hoping Lee shows he belongs, and I'm more intrigued by Alcorn and Harris. Then there's Bubba. I think he's close to being done, but at least he's a decent blocker. Humphrey just always seemed limite because he's so short.

Agree completely. Still a sad group IMO, but this is no big loss
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky

Agree completely. Still a sad group IMO, but this is no big loss

Hey I agree with both you guys, but if I'm Tory and I just broke my leg and maybe tore up my ankle ( I sympathize ) and I read "no big loss" I gotta be bummed!

Too bad TT didnt go after C. Anderson, he signed with Miami.

TE

Going into this season with what we have at TE is just mind-boggling. Failing to upgrade at this position is just plain ridiculous.

Senior Rat All-Pro Fred's Slacks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gbpackfan
    Too bad TT didnt go after C. Anderson, he signed with Miami.
    He might have. Anderson was claimed off waivers, and I'm pretty sure Miami had waiver priority over us. So TT may have tried to claim him but lost out. We'll never know.
    Fred's Slacks is a Winner!

Senior Rat All-Pro Fred's Slacks's Avatar

Re: TE

Quote Originally Posted by Packnut
    Going into this season with what we have at TE is just mind-boggling. Failing to upgrade at this position is just plain ridiculous.
    I'm a TT fan but this I agree with. With possibly the worst TE group in the league, all we add is a 7th round pick? Not good.
    Fred's Slacks is a Winner!

Eric Von Zipper Rat All-Pro CaliforniaCheez's Avatar
    I didn't see enough of Humphrey last year to form an opinion on him as a player. It happens this year also.

My opinion is that he would not be able to play until November 1. Even after healing he would have to get back into shape to get on the field. Too long to be kept on the roster.

I don't know if the Packers will give him an injury settlement and his release or place him on the IR.

What happend might be the best for him finacially.

They can't cut him now. He will get his salary the whole season or a nice injury settlement and try somewhere else. Better than to be cut on the final roster reduction and get nothing.

Blog Entries
    This is never good. I hate to say it at this time, but Humphrey is the guy among the TE corps that least excited me. It sounds like they may only carry 3 TEs this year.
    Well, we had 5 TE's on the roster briefly, last year. 3 might be an improvement. This position gives me trouble, too. The only improvement I've seen in 3 years is gettin' rid of Ben Steele.

The '05 draft was very rich in potential TE's and we basically sat that one out. Why?

I'm getting more and more nervous about the front office.

Are TE's suck. At least at strong safety there are a lot of good prospects, but this group is just bad, Detroit lions bad.

If one of the RB prospects doesn't make it, can we just switch him over to TE? I've heard they can all catch...
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Quote Originally Posted by PaCkFan_n_MD
    Are TE's suck. At least at strong safety there are a lot of good prospects, but this group is just bad, Detroit lions bad.

This group looks like it can be improved by picking up another teams castoff. Unless one of these guys really surprises us, I have a hard time believing that this is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Campbell
    Quote Originally Posted by PaCkFan_n_MD

This group looks like it can be improved by picking up another teams castoff. Unless one of these guys really surprises us, I have a hard time believing that this is it?
    I agree with Scott's post. The Packers may have to pick up another team's castoff come late August. The current TE position is a glaring Achilles Heel in the Packers' outlook.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    OK now TT has to make a move because this position is looking from questionable to bad.

Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker
    OK now TT has to make a move because this position is looking from questionable to bad.
    Don't worry MTP, the 2008 NFL draft is only about 200 days away! If the board falls correctly, he WILL fill the hole.

Quote Originally Posted by retailguy
    Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker
    Don't worry MTP, the 2008 NFL draft is only about 200 days away! If the board falls correctly, he WILL fill the hole.

heh heh, there is that desperate desire at the back of your mind that wants to ask "What about Free Agents?". Then you face reality, realize that we are talking about Ted Thompson here, and go back to dreams of next years draft.

What about trades though? (Maybe Ted could trade off Bubba and Lee for a 7th round pick in next years draft. HA!)

"Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings