Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Race Thread

Redneck Rat HOFer Little Whiskey's Avatar

The Official Race Thread

Okay, football season hasn't started, the draft is over, lets talk Nascar!!

Sunday's race has been rained out, so they are racing right now. Wisconsin's own Matt Kenseth, is now leading. Sounds like an early wreak has taken out some good cars. Newman, Martin, Kahne.

if you want to listen on the internet, here is a site to log on to: [/url]www.sportsradio910.comhttp://you have to register, but tha...akes a minute.

jr and stewart just involved in a spin. doesn't sound like it is too serious, for stewart. damn.....

kenseth finishes 6th, while Jimmie Johnson wins Talledaga. Jr. blows up with less than 50 laps to go. Kenseth will lose the points lead to Johnson.

thanks for talking nascar with me, Whiskey!!

no problem, maybe we can do it again next week, LW

sure thing, Whiskey

Kenseth took 6th, huh? That's a solid showing for him at Talledega. I smell a championship.

welcome to the party Harv, a little late though.

I agree he is doing very well. very similar to his championship season.

good news, gordon finishes 15!!!

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought Mobb had joined us.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Shutdown Rat All-Pro Charles Woodson's Avatar
    Nascar makes my head and tummy hurt. I mean how can u watch a car go for 50 mill. laps. anyways its 24 time

Quote Originally Posted by route25
    When I saw the title of this thread, I thought Mobb had joined us.
    LOL, either that or all the marches going on today about that immigrant law

I thought there was supposed to be a boycott today, but they sure weren't boycotting where I was shopping.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

ladies, this is a thread devoted to Nascar, not race baiting!!

nick, you ask the question, " how can youhow can u watch a car go for 50 mill laps?" well i ask you, how can you watch 22 guys playing keep away for 3 hrs?" same thing, once you understand the sport you will start to appreciate it.

ask a question i will try to explain.

this past weekend the cup cars traveled to Richmond to race under the lights. After having a car that looked like it could compete for the win, Kenseth rear rotor fell off and after he ran it over, it punched a hole in the oil pan. Needless to say he didn't finish very well. The 38th place finish dropped him a spot in the overall standings to third. Dale Jr. battled rookie Denny Hamlin for the win. I cannot say much more about the race, since after Kenseth's early exit i decided to watch something else. (actually the wife had been nagging me to watch a movie with her.

Next week the make a stop at the track too tough to tame. Darlington. This track is egg shapped and is as hard on the tires as it is on the drivers. by the conclusion of the race most cars will be wearing the famous "darlington stripe" since the tight racing causes many-a-driver to drift up and scrape the outside retaining wall. Should be a great race, be sure to tune in.

LW, when are you going to post your race update?

Sorry, whiskey i've been shirking my responsiblitly to all the race fans here at pack rats. so here is the short and sweet of sat. darlington race.

Greg biffle won the dodge charger 500 after leading the most laps. The final lap could have been more interesting if the lapped car of Ken Schrader hadn't have gotten in Jeff Gordon's way in the last turn. Wisconsin's own (and personal favorite) matt kenseth finished third. Kenseth had a good car most of the night and his quick pitstops kept him up front most of the night. He now trails tony stewart by 1 point in the overall point standings.

Next week is the All Star event a Lowes motor speedway. It is a race for a million bucks. The only place that counts is first, bring back the checkers or the wrecker!! Should be a great race.

Little Whiskey,

I have a question for you. Why doesn't Nascar rotate the 10 Cup races at the end of the year? It seems like if those 10 favor a race team, they will always favor a race team. I'd like to see them mix it up each year and throw some new races in there.

I guess i don't have to quote you harv, since you are the only other poster to EVER post on my race thread.

I think the reason nascar doesn't rotate the final ten is two fold. first they have a pretty good mix of tracks in the last ten races. shorttracks, superspeedway, and the 1.5 milers. so it already lends itself to the driver who is best at a variety of tracks. (the only type track excluded is the road course. however they only race at two of those per year. more of a novelty). the second reason is scheduling. every year the dates are pretty much the same. they run the same schedule. it causes alot of uproar when they decide to change a date. fans don't like it. Alot of scheduling has to do with climate. They don't race indoors, and remember they start the season in feb. can you imagine racing MI or ILL in Feb, or March??

LW, you'd be very proud of ol' FC. I spent the day yesterday at the Milwaukee Mile for Marlboro's Racing School.

After signing about a bazillion waivers, we got to ride shotgun with the drivers on three different tracks:

1) Took a couple of laps in the IROC around the oval
    2) Rode the Panoz GTS around the road course
    3) Went DRIFTING with the Mustangs

It was pretty freakin' awesome! And hot as hell in those racing suits. Now that I have a much better appreciating for racing, perhaps I will post here in the race thread again sometime...

wow, we are now up to 3!!!

I've always wanted to do that FC. sounds like it would be a blast. the problem is $$$$. can i ask what it cost for you to go?

now to task at hand. we need to find you a driver to root for. From what i know about you from the forums. i might suggest Jamie McMurray. He drive the #26. He is sponserd by Crown Royal/Sharpie/Rubbermaid. he is also one of the prettyboys of the racing. So i think he meets EC and Alcohol requirment for you. He is not doing extremely great right now, but give him another year under rousch and he will get better. so jump on his bandwagon now.

It *was* a blast, and extremely well-done. The best part...it didn't cost me anything! A friend of mine won the experience from Marlboro and brought me as a guest. I almost felt bad b/c I do not smoke, and Marlboro really went all out for its customers. It lasted about three hours - definitely an experience worth a couple hundred bucks. They let us keep the racing gloves, but not the $2,000 racing suits. But we got lots of pictures of us in the cars, wearing the full gear. Sweet.

I have always liked IRL, but haven't really followed NASCAR. I know a lot of the big names, of course, but don't root for any of them. Thus, I like your suggestion and the fact that I haven't heard of this Jamie McMurray fellow. I'll have to check him out....

FC, here is your driver.

Jamie McMurray broke into Cup Cars, back in 2002 when he sub for an injured Sterling Marlin. He won in just his second race. When Marlin returned Chip Gnassi (team owner) found room for him in the #42 Havoline Dodge. Since his big break in 2002, Jamie has had up and down seasons. He lured away from Genassi last year by Jack Rousch and was asked to take over for the then departing Mark Martin, however since Kurt Busch thought that Miller and Penske offered greener pastures the decided to ask Martin to drive one more year and put jamie in the 26. (at the time it was the 97 car). The recently switched crew cheifs between Jamie and Carl Edwards and i don't know yet if it was good or bad. I look for Mcmurray to finish this year on an up note and be settled by next year.

OK, we'll give it a try. Is there a race coming up soon that I'm supposed to be watching (besides the Indy 500)?

This week is the the all star event (used to be called the Winston). there is three ways to be able to race in this event. first is to win a race the previous year. or second is to win the qualifing race. or third is to be voted in by the fans. I don't think McMurray won a race last year, and i don't think he will be voted in by the fans. so in order for him to race this weekend he is going to have to win the qualifier. he might. but this weekend will be a good race to watch. if you don't finish first you don't win anything. so those last laps will be some beating and banging. next weekend is the cocacola 600. it is at the same racetrack but 600 miles!! it is the longest race of the season. and Lowes motorspeedway, usually lends itself to good racing. but i'll be honest the next good beginer race to watch will be daytona on 7/1. don't get me wrong you can practice watching up until then. Since you like IRL and you are going to watch the indy500, did you know that Nascar races at indy? 8-6, for the brickyard 400. Who do is your driver for IRL?? I'm not a huge fan, but i will watch the 500 and every now and then i will watch a race.

I think you should post some of the pic from your racing weekend!! do you have any action photos? how fast did they take the corners? please tell me you didn't scream and cry?!! every week the anouncers (ex-drivers) take some sort of celeb for a lap or two around the track. i don't remember who it was but they took this woman in the car for a lap around atlanta (fastest track) and after they came out of the corner he road up near the wall...i think she just about pissed herself!! screaming and carrying on, covering her eyes and holding her face. too damn funny. i hope this wasn't YOU.