Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Question about lifting weights

Question about lifting weights

My son wants to start lifting weights and has been asking me to buy some. Is 10 yrs. old too young to lift weights?

If not, any suggestions on what to buy? I don't want to walk into a store and end up buying way more than what he would need/use at this age.
    Anyone know anything about this?

Blog Entries

Re: Question about lifting weights

Quote Originally Posted by GrnBay007
    My son wants to start lifting weights and has been asking me to buy some. Is 10 yrs. old too young to lift weights?

If not, any suggestions on what to buy? I don't want to walk into a store and end up buying way more than what he would need/use at this age.
    Anyone know anything about this?
    I don't know if there is a "too young" for weight lifting. Don't think it can hurt him and he can learn to lift weights correctly and learn values of staying fit. That being said, and I'm remembering long ago when I was in school, I've been told weight training really won't have a positive effect in terms of building strength til middle school years.

At this stage, a cheap set of weights would be suffice. Bench for the bench press, one bar for the bench press, and something for the arm curls would be suffice. Truth be told at age 10 I'd probably try to find a nice set at rummage sales; in our area that would be fairly easy. Not sure about your surroundings though.

Re: Question about lifting weights

From what i've heard, weight lifting for boys is not recommended if they are under 13 years old. I would assume that each situation is different though, depending upon their size.

I would get him a YMCA Membership, go that route. From my own personal experience, I knew nothing about weights, what machines to use, etc. They have a trainer that will work with you about proper size weights to use, how to use them, etc. You won't get that kind of training/education from a sales rep trying to sell you equipment somewhere IMO.

I asked the high school weight trainer about this when my twelve year old son wanted to start. He said that most people are overly cautious about this. So, I don't believe that ten is too young to begin lifting weights. It may, however, be a little early to invest in a lot of the hardware since his physical size won't match a lot of the equipment. Equipment questions are better answered by someone besides me. I'd check in two or three different stores that specialize in this area to see what kind of set-ups they'd suggest for young lifters.

(After you know what to get, I like Bretsky's suggestion about used equipment)

Your son should limit himself to lifting weights that he can move 10-15 repetitions in one set. With rests in between, he can do three sets working the same muscle groups. He should Keep track of what he is doing and give an equal amount of work to the push muscles and the pull muscles.

Free weights are thought to be better than resistance machines because your muscles are forced to keep weights in balance and distribute the load equally from left to right.

Workouts really REALLY should include core muscle training. For every time he hauls out the iron and works on his guns he should also hit the floor and do his crunches and leg lifts. Stomach and back muscles are essential to athletic movement. That is what Brett Favre worked on with his personal trainer the off-season before.
    [QUOTE=George Cumby] ...every draft (Ted) would pick a solid, dependable, smart, athletically limited linebacker...the guy who isn't doing drugs, going to strip bars, knocking around his girlfriend or making any plays of game changing significance.

Blog Entries
    I agree that free weights are better, and the goal of your son at that age should be toning with sets of 10-15 rather than figuring out his max with each exercise. Late Middle School and HS is when you start worrying about increasing strenght. Maybe he just wants to look a little better for the chicks ?

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    I wouldn't strap a 10 year old down with a bunch of free weights. That could be a little dangerous with out trained supervision.

At 10 I would get him some dumbells that weigh between 10 and 15 pounds. He can do arm curls, and shoulder presses. If he has a bench he could even do bench presses. That is pretty much all I would let my kid do at the age of ten, unless you want to buy one of those complicated 16-1 machines with cables and stuff.

Take him to a sporting good store and let him lift a couple of dumbells to see which ones will work. If he can curl a dumbell more than ten times, he should keep moving up in weight, otherwise they will be to light for him in a couple of months. Really I wouldn't let him go any higher than 15 pounds though.

Weight lifting isn't going to stunt his growth or make him too stiff, those are just myths, but realize that his muscles are just beginning to develop and he will need to take it easy. Lots of reps not too much weight.

I think you're probably right, Nutz. A typical bar weighs 45-55 pounds and that's already a lot of weight for a little guy.

Dumbells will make him feel like he's pushing iron.

Do work on the core muscle training though. Any safe floor exercises that increase abdominal and back muscles and increase flexibility in the legs and hips are useful to developing an athlete.
    [QUOTE=George Cumby] ...every draft (Ted) would pick a solid, dependable, smart, athletically limited linebacker...the guy who isn't doing drugs, going to strip bars, knocking around his girlfriend or making any plays of game changing significance.

Before moving forward with any of this advice, the real question that must be answered is why does he want to lift? What is it he expects to gain from it.

While i am not against lifting weights at his age, though I personally think it is bit young, I can think of other things that would be much more beneficial. For example, if he plays basketball, working on dribbling with his off hand or making a layup with his weak hand.

You can always gain strength and put on weight, but as you get older learning a sport is tougher.

At 10 he probably has some sports he likes, and he should be working on mastering the fundamentals of them. Fielding grounders, hitting the strike zone, proper shooting form, good follow through in tennis, etc.

Redneck Rat HOFer Little Whiskey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Bigguns
    ...., proper shooting form,....

I agree with Nutz here. You can do pretty much anything you want with some 10-15 lbs dumbells. I still work out with dumbells myself, they're cheap too so if he isn't challenged by the weight you can easily buy the next heavier set for like 15 bucks.
    "For a fan base that so gratefully took to success, it bothers me how easily some fans are resigned to failure."

No Mo Moss 9.14.06

If he starts lifting, even only toning excerises...DO NOT FORGET

TEACH HIM HOW TO STRETCH!!! If he lifts too much and does not work on keeping his flexiblity it will do him no good except to look good in a tank.

There are a ton of guys who are bulked up and look stronger than an ox, but they have so little flexibilty they can't swing a baseball bat, or a golf club or even draw a compound bow.

Flexibilty is so important, I dare so even more important than brute strength. A good balance of the two is best. Remember toom, that at that age, bone structure and tendon structure is changing and not fully developed. A friend I know lifted like crazy in 7th grade. Got pretty big, then grew like 7 inches in two years and he had tons of problems cause he lost his felxibilty cause he muscles were too tight. Ruptered a knee tendon just jogging the bleachers.

Yes, an extreme example, but at that age caution is important.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkey
    If he starts lifting, even only toning excerises...DO NOT FORGET

TEACH HIM HOW TO STRETCH!!! If he lifts too much and does not work on keeping his flexiblity it will do him no good except to look good in a tank.

There are a ton of guys who are bulked up and look stronger than an ox, but they have so little flexibilty they can't swing a baseball bat, or a golf club or even draw a compound bow.

Flexibilty is so important, I dare so even more important than brute strength. A good balance of the two is best. Remember toom, that at that age, bone structure and tendon structure is changing and not fully developed. A friend I know lifted like crazy in 7th grade. Got pretty big, then grew like 7 inches in two years and he had tons of problems cause he lost his felxibilty cause he muscles were too tight. Ruptered a knee tendon just jogging the bleachers.

Yes, an extreme example, but at that age caution is important.
    Great, point. That is what I was alluding to, in regards to what is his goal. Let's say he wants to lift because he watches WWF (or whatever it is called) and dreams of becoming a wrestler. I would say it is more important learning how to wrestle, fall, balance, act, etc. then it is to work on getting big at his age.

When I was a kid, it was bigger, faster, stronger. But, we all know now how important flexibility is for almost all sports. And, studies have shown that stretching is key to building muscles.

Thinking about it, i would have him do pushes, pullups, crunches, etc. You can certainly get tone doing that, but more importantly it would show me the discipline needed before purchasing weights.

Wow, thanks for all the great information and suggestions.

I asked him why he wants to lift weights and he says because he wants to be stonger. He doesn't watch any of those wrestling shows so I'm sure it's not that he's fascinated with them. This was the first year he tried wrestling and he told me 1/2 way through the only reason he wanted to wrestle was because he thought it would make him stronger.

Baseball, football and track are his favorites. I had him read through the responses here with me .....and let him know you guys are all almost professionals....so he should pay attention.

He says he wants to start with dumbells and it sounds like that's a good place to start. I guess I was just worried if 10 is too young and could cause any damage.

Oh yeah...B, he thought your comment on looking good for the chicks was gross! (whewww )

Blog Entries
    dumbells are a good idea to start; just work on good form and repititions. Honesly he's not going to really get stronger lifting weights at age 10 and the focus needs to stay on toning. But if he develops good lifting habits he'll be primed to get bigger a bit later when his body is ready for it.

Never let your boy lift weights before he becomes a teenager, and never let your boy throw a curve ball before he can shave. Things to live by--no matter what the coach says. That's from friends of mine who played college sports. The worst thing that can happen to a young kid is for adults to treat him like he's some athlete with a mature body. Let him go out and be a kid. Instead of having him concentrate on lifting weights, push him to become a "gym rat." He'll end up liking the sport a lot more. Ideally, at a young age, your son will take an interest in several sports that he can fill the calendar year round with (e.g. football in the fall, basketball in the winter, baseball in the spring, tennis in the summer).

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers
    Never let your boy lift weights before he becomes a teenager, and never let your boy throw a curve ball before he can shave. Things to live by--no matter what the coach says.

Let him go out and be a kid. Instead of having him concentrate on lifting weights, push him to become a "gym rat."
    Now you have to expand on this Harv.....why no lifting before being a teenager?
    I'm not worried about the curve ball.....he plays 1st and shortstop.

I'm not worried about him being obsessed with this weight lifting.....he's well rounded.....bike riding, practicing sports in the yard, video games.....all the usual kid stuff. But if he's interested in it.......what's the harm in it?

I checked a few places online and found 2 main rules.

1. If it's something he wants to do and isn't being pushed into it 10 is not too young.
    2. Make sure he has supervision and that he isn't just trying to lift as much as he can. That's where injuries occur.
    Doughnuts, is there anything they can't do?

Formerly known as Pack4ever

Harv, I think I know what you mean by adults treating their kids like they have an adult body. The parent behavior once your kids get into organized sports is unbelievable. That's not me. The only thing I "push" my kids at is good grades. I might be right or wrong, but in our home the discussion of college has never been optional.

As far as sports go...or other outside school activities ....there are two main rules. If you want to try something, that's great.....but you won't quit 1/2 way through...you'll stick it out. Second, it can't affect your grades.

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers
    Never let your boy lift weights before he becomes a teenager, and never let your boy throw a curve ball before he can shave. Things to live by--no matter what the coach says. That's from friends of mine who played college sports. The worst thing that can happen to a young kid is for adults to treat him like he's some athlete with a mature body. Let him go out and be a kid. Instead of having him concentrate on lifting weights, push him to become a "gym rat." He'll end up liking the sport a lot more. Ideally, at a young age, your son will take an interest in several sports that he can fill the calendar year round with (e.g. football in the fall, basketball in the winter, baseball in the spring, tennis in the summer).
    I'm with you Harvey.

Quote Originally Posted by GrnBay007
    Wow, thanks for all the great information and suggestions.

Oh yeah...B, he thought your comment on looking good for the chicks was gross! (whewww )

Umm, so he wants to look good for the boys?