View Poll Results: Proposition OT: Should OT threads be allowed on the main page?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. Freedom brings energy, life and diversity to the board

10 23.81%
  • No. I don't want to hear people discuss anything except Packer football

32 76.19%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Vote Yes to Proposition OT

OT: Vote Yes to Proposition OT

I started a thread in the Romper Room and Mad put a poll out but it only got hit a few times so I wanted to get the attention of the whole forum community.

I miss OT threads. I feel like they bring a unique freedom and energy to the board that cannot be found on most sensored online sites. It is a way for Packer fans who have become Packer friends to discuss the other issues that they care about with the people of which they have developed a rapport.

I don't think the Romper Room does that. I think the Romper Room discourages open topics by putting them out of sight. It is hit often by some. However, it is not seen by all. Some are going to argue that they don't want to see that crap and that this place should be football only. I loved it when we could respond by saying "don't read it then". I loved how even the most unique and unconventional posters could get an off the wall topic started that made you want to come back.

If the forum creators sit down and decide they want a forum just like Packer Chatters and every other football forum, that is fine. Push it to the AP or Romper Room as it's called. We all know what's going to happen. It will get hit 5 times in 3 weeks and it will die out.

This forum was created. It is a great place and I don't care what happens in regard to this issue, I'm still going to be here most often. With this forum's creation, came the control and power to sensor whatever content the private ownership chooses to be inappropriate. With that power you can either live and let live or you can moderate and control the content of the board. I love the open, free flowing nature of a forum left to the people. I think a part of every forum dies when discussion is limited and sensored. You can say "Go to the Romper Room then" Well, the Romper Room doesn't reach everyone.

It's a matter of basic concept. You can make strict guidelines for what is allowed. Example "Only Packer Talk". I think the forum is best served by saying "You cannot personally attack people or sabatoge the forum" Everythign else is just the natural flow of the forum.

I know this is privately run and is not a free place to speak. I ask that you, as moderators and owners, allow freedom not because you have to, but because you don't want to control the content posted by the people for the goodness of the board. I'm not asking for kaos. I am asking for freedom. You surely don't have to take my consideration but I really believe this forum would be a better place if everyone had a voice. Packer fans care about race, gayness and other issues. Mobb, H.H. and Tank were some of the most responded to and unique voices on JS. I miss those conversations. I don't think they hurt the board. Sure, now they are in the romper room but they might as well be in the graveyard. Please vote "Yes" to main page freedom.

Re: OT: Vote Yes to Proposition OT

I disagree with this one. The line needs to be drawn somewhere. You can't have one or two OT threads in the Packer forum, but keep the others in the RR. That makes a big judgement call for Mad and I think he has more important things to do than that.

I don't understand why the 2 mouse clicks to get to the Romper Room is such a big deal. In fact, i've seen more and more people contributing to the OT conversations in the RR than ever before. No, the RR isn't going to get the traffic that the Packer page does because this is a PACKER site! It's nice when I only have a few minutes to catch up on Packer news, not to have to filter though a bunch of OT posts. When I have more time, I always contribute to the RR.

I agree that Packer Chatters has TOO many different forums. This site is not even comparable to that. If you want a site where everything is on the main page, then stick with JSO.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    Instead of pimping off topic conversation on the Packer Forum, which really isn't the main page, just the Packer Forum, why not tell people about the Romper Room? Why not tell people to get over to the romper room to discuss shit?

Sorry brotha, but It's real easy to walk on over to the other side of Packer Rats and enjoy the romper room, and other threads. Start whatever threads you want. For some reason you seem to consider that area a whole different site alltogether when in fact, it's just a seperate category of topics. We happen to be in the GBP area now, but perhaps we can meet up in the homo erotic singles lounge thread in the Romper room later for drinks.
    "Litre is French, for give me some f*ckin cola!"

It took 5 minutes to get teh # of votes taht it took me 15 hours to get in the romper room....

Whatever the case, I think Mobb, H.H. and Tank made the main page fun. I think it's human nature to want to control and surpress people so your stance is not surprising at all. I kind of expected it acctually.

SO does that mean we are having drinks or not?

F-U.....

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Why make another thread NC? First, your still losing on this one too, second you are doing what you claim you want to avoid.

Mad...

I know you can get rid of this and shut me up. It's your forum, you have that right. I think this is in the spirit of the board that we all came to love.

What are you so pissed about? I just expressed my opinion. You can't handle that? Who are you J-Walk? Calm down, take some deep breaths, and remeber this is just a forum, and I'm just some moron typing my opinions on a 1979 Atari PC. If you are truly getting upset over this, than you better have my wife take you over to the feminine hygeine isle of Wahlgreens to get you some feminine itch cream. Good Day Sir.

I was kidding Murph.....YOu have that dry humor. I thought you'd appreciate it.

I do brotha, no harm done.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NickCollins
    Mad...

I know you can get rid of this and shut me up. It's your forum, you have that right. I think this is in the spirit of the board that we all came to love.
    I never get rid of any threads but I am going to move this like the others.

The "spirit" of this board has worked fine so far with the RR for OT.

Disappointing.

Blog Entries
    Disappointing.
    Yup, 3-10 sure is. Your original one was doing better in your favor.

You can protect the users without supressing people Mad. It's not one or the other. I understand you guys set out to do that with the Romper room but it's not working. It's something most posters avoid. The # of respnonses I got and the # of votes I got shows how much more used the main page is.

You're basically quieting the forum voices that you choose not to hear. I think it is a bad precident. I think you're ultimately hurting your forum. If I want a place where I can get all Packer all the time I will go to Packer chatters. I was just there and they have more users who talk about the same shit and get heavily moderated like the main page here. If your dead set on being just like them and competing directly with them you will lose. YOu have a chacne to be different. You have a chance to have something special. If you can overcome that urge to control the content of the board you can make this board the best packer board out there. I think you're ruining that chance. It's too bad really. I know you can see it if you open your mind for just a minute.

I believe in what I believe. Untill JS got hit by that one idiot, it was better than this place by far. Why? because people could speak.

Yeah this shit bothers me. I loved that other forum. I lvoed the lack of moderation. I loved how eveyrone had an equal voice.

Welcome to Packerchatters wanna be. That is what this is.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    If off topic was truly that important, then the Romper Room would be pretty damn successful.

Sorry Nick, if you don't like this product go back to where ever you came from. We all do our best here and letting off topic threads on the Packer forum, not the main page like you call it is not in the cards right now. I hope you stay because your contribution to Packer talk is pretty decent, But I won't sit here and keep defending the actions of PackerRats.

You can protect the users without supressing people Mad. It's not one or the other. I understand you guys set out to do that with the Romper room but it's not working. It's something most posters avoid.
    Which indicates that most people don't want to read the OT threads, which in turn means no one gives a shit if they aren't on the Packer page. Your ship is sinking fast enough without you shooting holes in the bottom yourself.

The Packer threads, from thread to thread, deviate into enough OT areas to keep them interesting, humorous, and "freedom fry inspiring" without the assistance of other OT threads.
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial

Welcome to Packerchatters wanna be. That is what this is.
    That's a bullshit low blow.

You've had your say, and it's been put to a vote twice now. Now take your beating like a man.