Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sam Shields...the Anti-Underwood?

Sam Shields...the Anti-Underwood?

http://packersnews.greenbaypressgaze...lds-rapid-rise

Joe Whitt's seeming constant focus on Shield's work ethic, desire, and professionalism suggest to me that there might be, uh, another young cornerback on the team, uh, maybe not drafted up high but, uh, physically talented, who, uh, isn't working hard, doesn't, uh, have the desire, and maybe, uh, lacks professionalism.

Hmmm...are Whitt's comments perhaps targeted in some way to Brandon Underwood?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

I take it more as a "guy who ha dno shot and did the best he could with the given opportunities, and never looked back".

Too many young players think they are entitled to a real shot, and Shields is the prime example of a guy who worked his ass off to earn that shot.

Jumbo Rat HOFer

Re: Sam Shields...the Anti-Underwood?

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz
    http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20101111/PKR01/101111146/Coaching-staff-impressed-br-with-CB-Shields-rapid-rise

Joe Whitt's seeming constant focus on Shield's work ethic, desire, and professionalism suggest to me that there might be, uh, another young cornerback on the team, uh, maybe not drafted up high but, uh, physically talented, who, uh, isn't working hard, doesn't, uh, have the desire, and maybe, uh, lacks professionalism.

Hmmm...are Whitt's comments perhaps targeted in some way to Brandon Underwood?
    I thought this was either about Sam soliciting 2 male prostitutes or he was going to church.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

2 of our top 3 CB's were undrafted free agents. Amazing.

I don't think it's a shot at Underwood and I don't think his success is everything to do with hard work. There is a knack to make plays, to understand the big picture of what is going on. . . . Some guys have it, others don't. I've seen physical specimens and hard workers flop bad. It happens. Then there are physical specimens who don't work hard but are great for 5 or 6 years just becuase they're physical nad they know how to play. . . There are not so physical specimens who work hard and know how to play and suceed that way. . . . What I don't see, or havn't noticed, are guys who don't know how to play that work hard and suddenly know how to play. There are raw people who don't know because they've never tried, but guys who play and show up not knowing what to do over and over. . . That doesn't tend to change. Underwood and Pat Lee seem like that kind of player. I have little to no hope in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Campbell
    Then throw in Atari Bigby who was also an undrafted free agent, and Charlie Peprah picked up on waivers as a rookie, and it seems among the top 6 DBs there are a lot of over-achiever types.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler
    Then throw in Atari Bigby who was also an undrafted free agent, and Charlie Peprah picked up on waivers as a rookie, and it seems among the top 6 DBs there are a lot of over-achiever types.
    Great, you had to go and name He Who Must Not Be Named. Now SKinbasket will be here post-haste to slam the Twig. (Not that I am an Atari fan but he is a little better than Skinbasket's assessment)
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan
    Great, you had to go and name He Who Must Not Be Named. Now SKinbasket will be here post-haste to slam the Twig. (Not that I am an Atari fan but he is a little better than Skinbasket's assessment)
    Atari Bigby
    Atari Bigby
    Atari Bigby

Seriously, I don't understand the hate some have for the guy. When he wasn't playing on a gimpy ankle, he was a decent safety. Certainly better than some they ran out there a few years before he took over. Not every player in the lineup will be an All-Pro. You can win games with a healthy Atari Bigby as one of your safeties.

Getting down on Bigby, Harrell, etc. for getting injured is a waste of emotion, in my opinion.

It wasn't a total waste. Like anything the Skinbasket is passionate about, I thought it was very entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell
    I don't think it's a shot at Underwood and I don't think his success is everything to do with hard work. There is a knack to make plays, to understand the big picture of what is going on. . . . Some guys have it, others don't. I've seen physical specimens and hard workers flop bad. It happens. Then there are physical specimens who don't work hard but are great for 5 or 6 years just becuase they're physical nad they know how to play. . . There are not so physical specimens who work hard and know how to play and suceed that way. . . . What I don't see, or havn't noticed, are guys who don't know how to play that work hard and suddenly know how to play. There are raw people who don't know because they've never tried, but guys who play and show up not knowing what to do over and over. . . That doesn't tend to change. Underwood and Pat Lee seem like that kind of player. I have little to no hope in them.
    Woody? Is that you?

jk - JH, but that was a heck of a brain dump. I followed it through though!

I think you're wrong though, for some guys it takes a while for the game to 'slow down'. On the Pack, I'd point to Bush. He seemed to not know what to do for a couple of years, but suddenly this year he's good enough to keep as the #4 CB over Al Harris? Something happened there.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan
    Atari Bigby
    Atari Bigby
    Atari Bigby

Seriously, I don't understand the hate some have for the guy. When he wasn't playing on a gimpy ankle, he was a decent safety. Certainly better than some they ran out there a few years before he took over. Not every player in the lineup will be an All-Pro. You can win games with a healthy Atari Bigby as one of your safeties.

Getting down on Bigby, Harrell, etc. for getting injured is a waste of emotion, in my opinion.
    I run hot and cold on the Bigby. It's hard to get exited about him back there in the secondary in charge of missile command, when he's out of action getting his tracking system repaired all the time. However, one hidden advantage to Bigby is that with his shoulder tackling technique, he is built for the new 'no helmet involved in any tackle in any way' NFL...
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

It is amazing, and you have to think we can trace a lot of the success on the team to this fact.

Not so much as safety, but most teams spend a high draft picks on the defensive backfield - especially CB. We have a total of one first day pick in our starting nickel package (Collins). Since got our CB's as an FA and 2 UFA's we can afford to, I don't know, use a pick to move up in the first round and get an OLB?
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Guiness
    It is amazing, and you have to think we can trace a lot of the success on the team to this fact.

Not so much as safety, but most teams spend a high draft picks on the defensive backfield - especially CB. We have a total of one first day pick in our starting nickel package (Collins). Since got our CB's as an FA and 2 UFA's we can afford to, I don't know, use a pick to move up in the first round and get an OLB?
    What a waste of a pick getting an OLB in the first round...THAT NEVER WORKS OUT!!!! FIRE TT...

*for you out there that rocks are a substitute for brains that was sarcasm*
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Better check your info. TT doesn't sign free agents. That's a fact!!

Sincerely,

Packnut

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman
    Better check your info. TT doesn't sign big name, besides Woodson and Pickett, free agents. That's a fact!!

Sincerely,

Packnut
    Fixed for Packnut
    Go PACK

Green & Gold Shades Rat HOFer channtheman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by packerbacker1234
    I take it more as a "guy who ha dno shot and did the best he could with the given opportunities, and never looked back".

Too many young players think they are entitled to a real shot, and Shields is the prime example of a guy who worked his ass off to earn that shot.
    I'm just glad we didn't cut him based on him not being able to catch a punt.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell
    Is "physical specimen" Mr. Rodgers word of the day?

THANKSTED!!! this just shows why you spend picks on DL and pass rush.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Oday
    *for you out there that rocks are a substitute for brains that was sarcasm*
    dude, that sentence, with that structure, ugh!!
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead
    THANKSTED!!! this just shows why you spend picks on DL and pass rush.

It can go both ways; had we not cut Daniel Wehr we might be able to say the same thing with Wehr an Cullen Jenkins as main starters/contributors

this is moe credit to TT for scouring the undraftd free agents
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?