Thread: More Banjo: Coronavirus And Sports

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Valuable time was lost when China lied to the world. Now the money they invested in the WHO is paying off as the world pretends that's not the case. Show me all the experts who were demanding we test more vigorously earlier than we did. You are repeating a talking point that has been debunked already. Resources are limited and I don't mean just money. And again, testing symptomatic people can only be done if those people come in to be tested. People didn't take it seriously early, they called the president racist and accused him of being xenophobic....then those same people whined that he didn't act fast enough.
    I voted for a President of the United States, not the Premier of China.

Everyone knew not having testing ready was a mistake. The first thing Pence's task force went out to do was to see if they could unscramble the 3M attempt and then promise 1,000,000 kits by the end of the week. C'mon, be serious. Testing is step 1 and they fucked it up. Perhaps it was too late by then. But they paid zero attention to it until coverage started to hurt.

And someone turned down the WHO testing kit in favor of the one CDC was developing. A CDC that was underfunded and had no backup plan.

Every infectious disease expert said the same thing early: a travel ban buys you time with these viruses. They did not use that time effectively.

When your media strategy is to say verifiably false things very loudly to dominate headlines, you are exacerbating, not downplaying your coverage. Its not an unintended consequence, its the intended consequence.

This is the same thing that happens each time. The details are different but the patterns and weak points are the same. The virus is novel, the slow reaction to a known problem isn't. Put it into business friendly terms. The failure to have testing be prioritized and ready to go has meant that closing down society is the one preventative step left that we have to slow progression of serious illness. Its a colossal failure.
    Last edited by pbmax; 03-23-2020 at 01:01 PM.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.