04/01

Are Packers taking a QB with first pick?

BY GERY WOELFEL

The Packers wouldn't pick a quarterback with the fifth overall selection in the upcoming NFL draft, would they?

Well, despite the fact that Brett Favre could still come back for another season and despite the fact the Packers invested a first-round pick in Aaron Rodgers last year, there is growing sentiment among some NFL officials and observers that Green Bay could wind up taking one of the Big Three QBs available in this year's draft: Matt Leinart of Southern Cal, Vince Young of Texas and Jay Cutler of Vanderbilt.

The scuttlebutt is both Packers GM Ted Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy passed on attending the individual workout of North Carolina defensive end Mario Williams, whom some have compared favorably to the late, great Reggie White and whom some draft gurus have predicted will be the Packers' first pick.

Instead of checking out Williams up close and personal, Thompson and McCarthy flew to Texas to watch Young's workout. Young, I'm told, has definitely piqued the interest of Thompson. I've also been told there are some Packers scouts who are equally enamored with Cutler, who wowed NFL personnel at the recent combine in Indianapolis.

Barring a trade, one of the Big Three WILL be on the board when the Packers make their selection. The temptation of picking one of them might be too hard to resist.

Comment by woodbuck27:

With recent developments regarding Brett Favre, saying that at most he plays one more Season. I am of the opinion that certainly Ted Thompson and M3 will be giving very serious consideration to taking a QB at #5.

Look at all the one year signings. This will be nothing more than an assessment year in Green Bay. Ted Thompson knows that Brett Favre is gone ,or at most will play only this Season. He in effect has but one QB in ARod. He would be most advised and prudent to draft a QB on April 29 as I see it.

My take on Brett Favre.

Brett Favre looks in awesome condition mentally as well as physically and his attitude looks well into complete repair, after for him, a shock in 2005. It hasn't come out fully, but does anyone really believe that things are just peachy between him and Ted Thompson? M3 is taking the role of damage control artist as I see it . How Favre can return to us with what Ted Thompson will present to him, after the draft and through the end of TC, is way beyond my ability to comprehend.

Ted Thompson has complete control and for people to speculate that Brett Favre wants control of anything - is malarchy. Brett Favre is an intelligent man. His disappointment as to how his career in Green Bay is ending has to be dreadfully painful. If he returns its not for the money and certainly not for any real hope of records. Instead he may feel some measure of loyality to the Packer Organization but moreso to his fan following?

I will be patient but I'm certainly prepared to never see him again wearing OUR jersey. I will not be at all surprized to see him play again in the NFL. He has unfinished business.

If I was Ted Thompson I would be giving very serious consideration to drafting a QB at #5 and not ever believing that Brett will 'in fact' come back. Is it in OUR best interests to see Favre declare before the draft? I don't see how it matters.

I don't believe that things are at all rosy between Favre and Thompson. Two very different people and who is more competitive and wants to win more than Brett Favre. That doesn't at all jive with Ted Thompsons idea of where the Team will go in 2006, as I see it.

I can't believe as a Packer Fan I am enduring this drama but what must it be like for Brett Favre? I know .The Packers come first. Yea right !

I believe there is always with proper resolve, a win-win situation beneath the fabric of the problem. I don't see this as an approach or option as it's playing out to date. That leaves a bad taste in my mouth.If there is hope I see it coming from Mike McCarthy not Ted Thompson.

I do think that Mike McCarthy has with his words, at least offered something to Favre. Ted Thompson has been inconsistent "in his Favre can take all the time he needs" statements. Is this due to lack of experience or the stress? From one published article to the next he's being painted as not anyone to trust, at least not yet. I just think he's terribly raw and somewhat challenged in the personality dept. He certainly doesn't have Favre's gift to talk.

We as yet havn't seen an all out war between these two people and it's not a war that Favre would win , if he blasted Ted Thompson. Thompson is the star now not Brett Favre. What in "H" does this say about OUR team ?

After Brett Favre it's Ted Thompson! It's Ted Thompson.

That is a sad state of affairs.