Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: More Banjo- Packers vs. Seahawks.

Bill Huber
    @BillHuberSI

No "major damage" on Gary's elbow, source says. As Schefter just reported, he'll try to play with a brace.
    Adam Schefter
    @AdamSchefter

Packers’ OLB Rashan Gary plans to brace his hyperextended elbow to see if he can try to play Sunday vs. the Vikings, per source. But Gary also has an MRI on his elbow scheduled for Tuesday to see if anything gets in the way of his plans.
    Another guy who hopefully will be ready to go after the bye.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    If I had to pick between Jones and Gary, although both are indispensable players, I'd rather have Gary playing sooner.

Without him, we only have P. Smith and Clark as pass rushers.

I've got a rules question for Joe or anybody else who might know. I thought a difference between college and pro was that linemen were allowed downfield on a pass behind the line in college but not in the NFL. Yet several times on those quick screens we ran, we had linemen a few yards downfield ahead of the receiver and nothing was called. Is that legal or not?
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Guy gets points in my book. He's gonna tape it up and rub some dirt on it and try and go play.

You don't see that too much anymore

Stokes not getting much press nationally. Understandably, he's being overshadowed by what Diggs and Parsons are doing in Dallas as rookies. But really he's probably been better than Alexander was as a rookie.

Edit: Diggs not a rookie. 2nd year guy.
    I've become less impressed with Diggs because it seems like part of his success is gambling too much in coverage.

As good as Stokes is doing, he should have plenty of upside to with that speed. Grabbiness seems to be coached on some teams college and pro. Good that he has seemingly gotten over it.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    I've got a rules question for Joe or anybody else who might know. I thought a difference between college and pro was that linemen were allowed downfield on a pass behind the line in college but not in the NFL. Yet several times on those quick screens we ran, we had linemen a few yards downfield ahead of the receiver and nothing was called. Is that legal or not?
    Linemen cannot be more than 1 yard downfield when the ball is thrown. I don't think it matters where they are in relation to the receiver.

Check out the game if you get the chance. It seemed like at least Runyon and maybe others were maybe 4 or 5 yards downfield on those quick screens to Jones.

Linemen cannot be more than 1 yard downfield when the ball is thrown. I don't think it matters where they are in relation to the receiver.
    Correct. Also in college they are allowed 5 yards past the LOS.

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    Now the Zadarius time table looks more pressing. Gary was holding it down but now we’re gonna need Z to come back if we really want to make a push
    I'm ready to declare Mike Smith the greatest OLB coach ever. Not just for the job he has done with Gary, but look at the guys he developed in KC. They weren't top picks either, but every one of those guys became really good at pressuring the passer and Gary has done the one thing I doubted he could. He can honor the run and still get to the QB.

Also time to just stop the Gutes hate and acknowledge something I said after the AZ win. Gutes/MiLF/Arod is a three headed monster that simply wins football games, injuries be damned. Hell, they damn near over came losing Rodgers IN KC.

I really hope we can have a mostly healthy roster by playoff time. They are beating quality opponents without as many as 4 all pros at a time.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    Stokes is so good for a rookie CB. He's like a fly strip. The two safeties are playing really well also. King has put together back-to-back good games.
    I think King is up to 3 good games in a row. And the eraser move by Savage was elite. I can't really find a single fault in this defense right now even though I still question the DL depth. but ffs when the Cardinal Castoffs are playing the way they are, the sky is the limit....and its a testament to great coaching.

Stokes not getting much press nationally. Understandably, he's being overshadowed by what Diggs and Parsons are doing in Dallas as rookies. But really he's probably been better than Alexander was as a rookie.

Edit: Diggs not a rookie. 2nd year guy.
    The reason I, and several others, were high on stokes was the competition he handled in college. When I saw the numbers he put up vs. Jeudy, Smith, Chase and others in the SEC I was sold. You shut down one elite prospect with luck....you face Georgia and Alabama and LSU and hold your own week in and week out, then run a sub 4.4? Well, I gotta believe there is something there.

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    I think he's a really good #2 already. I'm not ready to give him legit #1 yet.
    Cuz that is reserved for Kevin King the last 3 stellar defensive perfomances??

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    I'm ready to declare Mike Smith the greatest OLB coach ever. Not just for the job he has done with Gary, but look at the guys he developed in KC. They weren't top picks either, but every one of those guys became really good at pressuring the passer and Gary has done the one thing I doubted he could. He can honor the run and still get to the QB.
    Not only Gary, but Garvin is also playing at a serviceable level. He lacks Gary's speed, burst and power, but he gets some push nor does he get washed out of plays.

The reason I, and several others, were high on stokes was the competition he handled in college. When I saw the numbers he put up vs. Jeudy, Smith, Chase and others in the SEC I was sold. You shut down one elite prospect with luck....you face Georgia and Alabama and LSU and hold your own week in and week out, then run a sub 4.4? Well, I gotta believe there is something there.
    He played for Georgia.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

I was hopeful he'd take to coaching and continue to develop into a contributor by mid-season. He's exceeded my expectations this year. The grabbiness was a concern -- some CBs panic and get grabby -- but by all accounts he's been a hard worker and fast learner. The mentality he has to go with his talent makes his future bright. All that said, he's NOT a legit #1 yet. If you had a Lions-y defense maybe you have him as your #1, but I'd say he's a decent #2 right now with more room to improve. Jaire and he could form a lockdown secondary.

Next years secondary is going to be special. Amos is still in his prime. Savage is entering his prime. Jaire is in his prime. And stokes will be in his second year. Whoever plays nickel will be with a really good group. Maybe Shemar plays his way into that spot next year. Regardless, the top 4 should be an elite group.

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    Next years secondary is going to be special. Amos is still in his prime. Savage is entering his prime. Jaire is in his prime. And stokes will be in his second year. Whoever plays nickel will be with a really good group. Maybe Shemar plays his way into that spot next year. Regardless, the top 4 should be an elite group.
    Damnit RG, your Jinxing everything!

One knock on him was he tended to get grabby at top of routes. He's probably fortunate to have Jerry Gray as his position coach.
    Did he make him wear boxing gloves? I remember another rookie CB who had that problem, seems to be working out better this time!
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Here's a shocker: Pete Carroll complaining about the refs after a loss. https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...en-bay-packers

Here's a shocker: Pete Carroll complaining about the refs after a loss. https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...en-bay-packers
    Hahahahahahaha.

The lack of insight is, well, actually, not surprising at all.