Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Packers 2024 OTA/Minicamp Thread

Quote Originally Posted by sharpe1027 View Post
    Yes. My point is not that injuries cannot create muscle imbalance, it's simply this. A muscle imbalance cannot be a contributing factor in an injury that occurred prior to the muscle imbalance AND experts in the field know this.
    But reinjury can. And the confidence in the recovery can also compound the problem. If muscle imbalance all by itself caused injury then every player in the game would have issues since muscle imbalance is pretty much a universal phenomenon.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    At the risk of beclowing myself I do believe there is an amount of truth to that theory. Years ago when someone had a knee operation it was a given the opposite hamstring would give them problems when they hit the field again. I think trainers are well aware of it now and build it into the rehab process. Confidence in the repair is paramount to success.

I'm not sure what theory you mean. The one theory is the UM of Madison experts thought muscle imbalance contributed to reinjury. That requires them to believe the imbalance existed prior to at least the last injury. The source of the imbalance could have been a prior injury.

But reinjury can. And the confidence in the recovery can also compound the problem. If muscle imbalance all by itself caused injury then every player in the game would have issues since muscle imbalance is pretty much a universal phenomenon.
    Who thinks muscle imbalance all by itself creates an injury? Nobody said that. All that was said is that the imbalance was likely a contributing factor.

Who thinks muscle imbalance all by itself creates an injury? Nobody said that. All that was said is that the imbalance was likely a contributing factor.
    I guess it seems like everyone is getting a little tribal on theories when the reality is exactly as you stated. Its a factor. Not the only one. And previous injury causes increased imbalance if not addressed. Hopefully Watson has it worked out because I haven't really seen game changing speed like his since james Lofton.

I made a joke about Internet experts, injecting some humor into it with a dated reference to a marketing campaign. RG gets upset that I was being smug to a poster that immediately calls me a dip shit while praising another poster saying exactly the same thing as me. Comedy gold, haha.

hahahahaha the fact is, you are a dipshit (actually I didn't call you that by name, I just said if the shoe fits ..... - and obviously it does). But WHO is that other guy saying the same thing - so I can call him a dipshit too hahahaha.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Player has repeat hamstring injuries. Top experts studying hamstring injuries assess the player and identity muscle imbalance they believe is contributing to the injuries. They develop a plan to reduce the chances of a future injury.

Someone on PRs forum explains why they don't believe the experts and it's more likely the hamstring injuries caused the imbalance. They aren't an expert, but they stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Never fails.
    I think this is the quote that RG got on you for?? Whether you meant it or not, it poo poos the idea that the original injury caused the imbalance. Maybe not the point you were trying to drive home, but you mocked Tex for saying as much so you come across as NOT believing the original injury CAUSED any imbalance, but could only be the REASON for it.

*editors note. Tex deserves and can take mockery so no big deal in my book. Also, with follow up I don't think you believe this, but it was the way I read the original post you made as well.

2024 the end of OTA's?

Tom Pelissero
    @TomPelissero

End of OTAs? The NFL Players Association is working to finalize a proposal to overhaul the offseason starting as soon as 2025, eliminating voluntary on-field work in the spring in favor of a longer training camp ramp-up, with players reporting in mid-June to early July, per sources.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

I think this is the quote that RG got on you for?? Whether you meant it or not, it poo poos the idea that the original injury caused the imbalance. Maybe not the point you were trying to drive home, but you mocked Tex for saying as much so you come across as NOT believing the original injury CAUSED any imbalance, but could only be the REASON for it.

*editors note. Tex deserves and can take mockery so no big deal in my book. Also, with follow up I don't think you believe this, but it was the way I read the original post you made as well.
    So sifting through things, Sharpe claimed it was the REASON but not the CAUSE ....... or was it the other way around? hahahahaha. Yeah, it's about his speed to think CAUSE and REASON are two different things.

Yeah, I saw that original post and also RG's criticism of it. I just thought at the time and still think, BFD in both cases.

The phrasing I used wasn't perfect. That being said, I clearly stated the issue I had was when someone disagrees with the findings of the experts that the imbalance was a contributing factor to the hamstring injury. Using their own judgement to conclude that the experts are likely wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    2024 the end of OTA's?
    Tom Pelissero
    @TomPelissero

End of OTAs? The NFL Players Association is working to finalize a proposal to overhaul the offseason starting as soon as 2025, eliminating voluntary on-field work in the spring in favor of a longer training camp ramp-up, with players reporting in mid-June to early July, per sources.
    Like the "good old days" when players reported two+ months before the season started, for 2-3 weeks of camp before 6 exhibition games.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Like the "good old days" when players reported two+ months before the season started, for 2-3 weeks of camp before 6 exhibition games.
    Except it will probably soon be 2 preseason games and 18 regular season games.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    2024 the end of OTA's?
    My guess is that this is in response to the season getting longer and longer, so the desire for a larger block of time off. It also has the advantage to have players continue working and developing without a break. And finally, it eliminates the situation where a marginal player follows a necessary workout regime during the OTA - camp break and gets injured, with the team calling it a non-football injury and cutting him without any settlement.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Years from now, kids will hear us talking about the good old days and the need to ask their parents to explain what an exhibition game is. I think it's only a matter of time before they go away completely.
    Last edited by sharpe1027; 05-28-2024 at 05:24 PM.

I do expect they will drop to 2 exhibition games, but doubt they will be eliminated completely. Too many rookies, first year players and inexperienced fringe players hanging around the league. They can play the games even without their starters and top reserves if they want.

I do expect they will drop to 2 exhibition games, but doubt they will be eliminated completely. Too many rookies, first year players and inexperienced fringe players hanging around the league. They can play the games even without their starters and top reserves if they want.
    The coaches an GMs won't like it, but they're not the ones making the decision. We'll see, I'm just seeing the trend and predicting one possible outcome. My crystal ball is far less than 50% accurate.

If I made the call I would have an offseason ramp up 3 weeks early for all rookies/undrafted/first contract guys. It would be very light on field work, mostly classroom/walkthrough. Then I would have a couple aggressive scrimmages with other teams. After that the rest of the team shows up as we do now.

Admittedly vets need less camp time. The smart ones are working with experts anyway (Kittles TE camp). The young guys have so much to learn I think a bootcamp type atmosphere would probably help the learning curve. You can work on a lot of things like hand tech for OL without any real risk of injury. Or a combo pass rush move for an edge just to build muscle memory. You can teach a lot of football to young guys without taxing their bodies.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    Preseason games are bullshit, especially for season ticket holders that have to pay full price for them. The league is going to expand it's regular season to 18 games very shortly. I could see the end to exhibition games and heading into the regular season with an expanded roster. Whether there would be a league mandated roster cut I couldn't speculate. I could also see them basically keeping 2 games on the preseason docket and have them for guys trying to keep or make the roster.

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    Preseason games are bullshit, especially for season ticket holders that have to pay full price for them. The league is going to expand it's regular season to 18 games very shortly. I could see the end to exhibition games and heading into the regular season with an expanded roster. Whether there would be a league mandated roster cut I couldn't speculate. I could also see them basically keeping 2 games on the preseason docket and have them for guys trying to keep or make the roster.
    Just to be clear, pre-season tix are 1/2 price of regular season games, not full price.

You almost have to have preseason games. It's not like college where you can warm up against some division 2 team or whatever, so having all the games count is feasible. In the NFL, however, there's close enough to parity that a team that ain't prepared from the first game could have their season ruined.

And from a fan perspective, there's a lot to be said for getting to see the back up QB and other scrubs play.