Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: DID DONALD DRIVER SIGN AN EXTENSION? RUMOR

DID DONALD DRIVER SIGN AN EXTENSION? RUMOR

There are rumors floating all over the net, no real credible sites, that DD has signed a contract extension. Has anyone else heard anything like this? Again, I am not reporting this as fact just looking to find more about this reported extension. Thanks.

I can't find anything. Where did you see it?
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

forums at

Packerchatters.com

and

packerreport.com

Like I said, nothing credible!

Hope it's true. DD should get paid. It's unreal Fergy is making more money than Driver.

I'm with you on that one. I've been wanting Driver paid since the first Walker mess. He's the kind of guy you want to see win big.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

If this is true I think it is kinda humorous that Driver signed an extension after Walker was traded just as (I believe) Al Harris signed an extension just after Mike McKenzie was traded. Kinda like a slap in the face to the traded player.

We'll see if this is true.

Or more of an example to other players on the roster, that if you play as a team player, put up your numbers on the field, keep you mouth shut and your money will come.

I doubt it's true. Also, I hope it's not because paying guys before their deals are up is a horrible mistake.

I have a hard time believing this one. While the thought that Fergy makes more than DD is hard for me to stomach, the Packers were very firm on not redoing deals with more than a year left on them.

If the Packers do this now, they lose alot of credibility IMO. I'm sure we'll see an extension in the middle of the season, but not right now.

I wonder if the comment Driver's agent made that they were talking about it got blown out of proportion. He said it during the Walker drama when it was suggested that DD wanted out too.

Senior Rat Veteran Green Bud Packer's Avatar
    most info from packerchatters is bogus. DD is to high class of a guy to threaten the pack for more cash. like others have posted mid season or the end of season would be a good time to try and re-do DD's contract.

ok, so I was wrong. Driver DID get an extension.

Story from GB Press gazette....

Green Bay Packers receiver Donald Driver has signed a two-year contract extension that runs through 2009.

The general parameters of the contract were listed on the NFL Players Association Web site, and the deal was confirmed by an NFL source on Thursday afternoon. The source said the deal was completed last week.

For more on the story, go to www.PackersNews.com.

ok found more info here.....

Packers give Driver 2-year extension

By Rob Demovsky
    PackersNews.com

Green Bay Packers receiver Donald Driver has signed a two-year contract extension that runs through 2009.

The general parameters of the contract were listed on the NFL Players Association Web site, and the deal was confirmed by an NFL source on Thursday afternoon. The source said the deal was completed last week.

The contract actually lowers Driver’s base salary for this season from $1.36 million to $950,000 but almost certainly includes some bonus money to be paid this season. The exact bonus was not immediately available.

The extension also raised Driver’s 2007 base salary from $1.84 million to $2.7 million. His base salaries for the two additional years are $2.9 million in 2008 and $3.9 million in 2009. Driver’s original contract expired after the 2007 season.

The Packers haven’t typically extended contracts of players with more than one year remaining, so it’s unclear why they did so with Driver, 31, who caught a career-high 86 catches for 1,221 yards and five touchdowns.

Quote Originally Posted by GBMichele
    The Packers haven’t typically extended contracts of players with more than one year remaining, so it’s unclear why they did so with Driver, 31, who caught a career-high 86 catches for 1,221 yards and five touchdowns.
    Maybe it's because Driver caught a career-high 86 catches for 1,221 yards and five touchdowns? Either that or they just wanted to slap Javon upside the head and this was the easiest way to piss him off. Driver does completely deserve it thought and if TT's trying to send a message to the younger players that this is the type of player that gets rewarded, he couldn't have picked a better way to send that message.

Totally agree with you, Zig. I just hope that it doesn't cause problems with other players though.

Damn it...By doing this it sure makes you feel like Walker was a mistake. I thought it was a good move because it would prevent players from getting in line for extentions before they are up. Now guys are going to be getting in line and doing the same thing anyway and we lost the teams best player.

Thompson found a way to get the worste of both worlds.

If the other players start to gripe, TT can always refer to the fact that DD outplayed his contract for years without a word of complaint and that attitude along with his performance is what led to the reward. It would be pretty hard to whine as doing so would negate the main reason for the reward and disprove their own case.

I LOVE that DD got an extension. He deserved it so he got it. Good work TT.

NOTE: I got this rumor from a guy on packerchatters.com, so I cant take the credit on this one. He said he spoke to DD in texas a couple days ago.

Maybe Driver got an extension because he didn't threaten to hold out if he didn't get his way. He handled the situation the way a professional should. A lot of people rolled their eyes when McCarthy talked about wanting "Packer People". I think we're getting an idea of what he meant by "Packer People". Driver is. Walker Wasn't.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Driver got an extension and deserved it.

Some say he was rewarded for "doing things right."

It is more realistic to say that Harris and Driver benefited from McKenzie & Walker "doing things wrong." Thompson took prememptive action.