Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: McCarthy = Sherman?

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    is that M3 though getting the most out of those players?

m3 runs the offense, its lost 3 guys (grant, finley, and tauscher) the # 1 draft pick filled in for mark and has done fine for a rookie. but the running game has sucked since we lost grant, and the te's are a far cry from finley and lee.

on the other side of the ball, the defense has lost a ton of guys, and yet new guys continue to step up and play well

to me it looks more like capers getting the most out of his players and m3 not getting so much out of his
    True. But as has been pointed out, teams responded to Finley being out by playing Cover 2 on run downs, seven in the box and daring the Packers to run while they defended the pass. The run game has not been able to take full advantage. So Grant being gone hurts both phases. Same with Finley. If the Defense played Cover 2 against him most downs, he would be in the Pro Bowl by mid-season. Teams were committing two players to him early. Not only does his absence hurt the pass game, but it also uncomplicates formations like 2 TEs, which reduces the run game options.

M3 has had to change the offense on the fly and that is the reason it looks more 2008 than 2009. Or even 2007, because before Grant really took off, the Big 5 personnel was the 3rd down package.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by rbaloha View Post
    How many close games have the Packers lost this season? Are these due to McCarthy?
    A lot went wrong in the Washington game and as a whole, there were a lot of contributing factors in that loss. The most obvious to us fans was the Crosby last second clank off the upright that would have been the game winner if it had just been another foot over. Does the result of that kick make McCarthy a better or worse coach? I don't think so.
    "My problems with him are his vision and tendency to dance instead of pounding a hole." - Harvey Wallbangers

I think MM's a better coach. Shermy's teams were often flat early on, it seemed to me. And I don't think he got the most he could from the talent he had - I'm thinking that Philly playoff game, for one example.

No, we don't really know who MM is "like" as a coach.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

McCarthy = Marty Mornhinweg
    Lombardi told Starr to "Run it, and let's get the hell out of here!" - 'Ice Bowl' December 31, 1967

Cheese & Beer Rat All-Pro MichiganPackerFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    A lot went wrong in the Washington game and as a whole, there were a lot of contributing factors in that loss. The most obvious to us fans was the Crosby last second clank off the upright that would have been the game winner if it had just been another foot over. Does the result of that kick make McCarthy a better or worse coach? I don't think so.
    That sucked because we shelled out a lot of cash to go to that one. Finley getting hurt right away didn't help. Clay getting hurt in the second half didn't help. Didn't Pickett get hurt too?

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    I could make a more convincing thread called McCarthy = Belichick?
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Witness Protection Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepshead View Post
    McCarthy = Marty Mornhinweg
    Harsh but true.

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    I could make a more convincing thread called McCarthy = Belichick?
    Just like Sterger = Mrs. Favre?

Cheese & Beer Rat All-Pro MichiganPackerFan's Avatar
    Just like Sterger = Mrs. Favre?
    Sterger = Mrs. Favre - Age

Harsh but true.
    You have got to be kidding me. He blew the coin toss to an overtime game. Beyond that, its hard to get a handle on how bad he was with Millen as GM.

I have some issues with M3s use of timeouts and his challenge record, but Marty couldn't demonstrate he could win in the NFL period.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganPackerFan View Post
    Sterger = Mrs. Favre - Age
    Good one. Okay

McCarthy - brains = Belichek

Good one. Okay

McCarthy - brains = Belichek
    So McCarthy = Belichek + brains? Sweet!

Green & Gold Shades Rat HOFer channtheman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    So McCarthy = Belichek + brains? Sweet!
    Yeah he did that wrong. The correct way to do it would be

McCarthy = Belichek - brains

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Wondering where all the fire MM threads were the last month.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by channtheman View Post
    Yeah he did that wrong. The correct way to do it would be

McCarthy = Belichek - brains
    Belichick was 36-44 in his first 5 years as HC of the Cleveland Browns and did a whole lotta losing before he became a winner. McCarthy is currently 45-30 partway thru his 5th year as HC of the Green Bay Packers and IMHO is learning the job pretty well.

The sheer talent drafted & acquired by TT is what keeps Stubby alive. Capers keep HC alive too!
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2019,
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2018,
    PackerRats Pick'Em 2016-17 Champ + Packers year Survival Football Champ 2017,
    Rats Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2013,
    Ratz Survival Football Champ 2012,
    PackerRats1 Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2006.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    Wondering where all the fire MM threads were the last month.
    I'm not sure he should be fired, but I have thought for a long long time that our general manager is much better at his job then our head coach is at his.
    Lombardi told Starr to "Run it, and let's get the hell out of here!" - 'Ice Bowl' December 31, 1967

You guys kill me. When we lose a close game to the top team in the conference at their place on a last second FG and we all want Mac's head on a platter declaring he is as bad as Shermy! But when the players actually execute these same plays and we win everything is rosy. To me ALL of the coaches - except Slocum - are doing a wonderous job with this shredded roster this year.

I think McCarthy is a lot more sharp than many give him credit for and generally does a very good job calling/planning games. There are indeed times when his game management leaves something to be desired but I think that he is improving in that area and feel he is actively trying to improve there.

The main thing that drives me bonkers about him is that he often sticks with his guys to a fault (ST staff...) That is not an issue Belichick has.

Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    I think McCarthy is a lot more sharp than many give him credit for and generally does a very good job calling/planning games. There are indeed times when his game management leaves something to be desired but I think that he is improving in that area and feel he is actively trying to improve there.

The main thing that drives me bonkers about him is that he often sticks with his guys to a fault (ST staff...) That is not an issue Belichick has.
    Mac saw the error of his ways by firing Sanders and hiring Caper so there is still hope for us yet!