Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Derek Sherrod Health Speculation

Derek Sherrod Health Speculation

This description makes sense of how the Packers left the door open for Sherrod last year, PUP plus 3 weeks of practice off roster.

But has anyone read this elsewhere? Or does anyone know enough about this injury to confirm? Is it really just a matter of trust? Because I read that and immediately suspect we are in "fast healer" medical reportage territory.

The question with Sherrod is whether or not he can overcome the mental hurdle to trust a surgically repaired leg. In 2012 Sherrod was healthy physically, but unable to play because of his lack of ability to trust his legs to run, cut, and explode at full speed. This coming season will be different for Sherrod, as he will be more than a year removed from the injury and should be able to play as he did before the injury, giving the Packers a boost in pass blocking.
    from: http://packerstalk.com/2013/04/06/ke...medium=twitter
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

This is just like that episode of Happy Days when Fonzi tore up his knee and then was afraid to put weight on it during rehab. Sherrod needs to watch that episode for inspiration. That oughta do it.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    This description makes sense of how the Packers left the door open for Sherrod last year, PUP plus 3 weeks of practice off roster.

But has anyone read this elsewhere? Or does anyone know enough about this injury to confirm? Is it really just a matter of trust? Because I read that and immediately suspect we are in "fast healer" medical reportage territory.

I've suffered a similiar injury. A break to the fibula and tibia just below the patela. That complicated with damage to the foot bones. I was in casts for about 4 months. It takes about one year after the casts are gone to rehabilitate to the point any real strength is recovered. Any physical confidence returns. You have to work your tail off also to get there.

All that is moot considering where Derek Sherrod is now.

Let's wind it back.

How many games did Derek Sherrd start at LT in his Rookie campaign? How are the Green Bay Packers doing with their LT position? The Green Bay Packers are terrible at LT. The concern there is huge.

Do any of you truly believe that a man (Derek Sherrod) that couldn't beat out a guard (Marshall Newhouse) in 2011 for the LT position. Will be 'after this serious injury'; magically able to be our LT in 2013?

Forget about the question of any upside and Derek Sherrod. Forget about any Derek Sherrod being our strong LT. If you're confident in Derek Sherrod. Please inform me of how you arrived there? What inspires you to such confidence?

What's this season all about? Seeing about this and checking on that?

Does it have anything realistically to do with getting to this next Super Bowl? It doesn't appear so to me. There are too many check points being missed to arrive at any other conclusion. In this off season our Teams GM is basically on hold if not reverse.

Back to the question of any Derek Sherrod and the Packers OL.

I see it clearly this way. We're sucking wind with our OL period. That OL allowed an ugly 51 Sacks in 2012. If your into magical thinking and/or believe the same personnel plus a ready to go Derek Sherrod is going to keep Aaron Rodgers off his ass on the field.

The world has got to love you.

I believe we need on the OL...NOW! I believe that need starts at a very important position.... LT.

GO PACK GO !
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

my opinion of him just dropped even lower

so he's mentally weak?

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    my opinion of him just dropped even lower

so he's mentally weak?
    Who's mentally weak? I've no opinion and that RE: Derek Sherrod.

Derek Sherrod was an excellent student as well as a very good LT in college.

Derek Sherrod was named a National Football Foundation Scholar-Athlete and was a finalist for the William V. Campbell Trophy.

His injury was sadly disappointing and personally devastating.

I've gone through that windmill. It's a huge setback and really plays with your mind and confidence. I assume he's giving his best. I wish him so much good luck. He has had and has a montain to climb.

I simply believe that if Ted Thompson is real and has a shot at a decent LT as a value pick. He had better not hesitate making that pick.

Our need at LT is obvious/huge.

PACKERS !
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 04-06-2013 at 02:44 PM.
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Mentally tough? I don't think that is what the columnist is getting at. Plus its a second or third hand summation, so he likely has no definite info here. But McCarthy did start his comments about Sherrod with "we have to get him out of medical" which could mean he doesn't feel ready when the staff thinks he is.

I initially put this in the Mike Flanagan comeback bin for comparison. Flanny had a worse injury (did have nerve damage like DS) and it took two full seasons for him to comeback. One reporter said, or recalled when Flanagan first came back to practice, he looked so awkward running and moving around, even limping when walking, that he could not imagine him playing again. But play he did.

So I think its a matter of time and retraining that leg while moving naturally on grass, not working out in the gym with a Cybex machine or what-have-you.

But this is the reason I posted this writers summation. Was he fully cleared for contact in practices late last year?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

yeah, but the two years of NFL experience he's already lost is huge

as a team and a coach, m3 has to, not force, but maybe push a guy like that harder. if he's cleared medically, and there's no risk of further injury, then he has to be out there working on his game, not sitting in an ice bath or hot tub every day

where's the line drawn between being scarred of your injury which is healed, and just being lazy and sitting around collecting a big pay check for doing nothing?

hearing that he was fine and just not mentally ready has me a whole hell of a lot more worried then thinking he was just hurt for so long

I'd be surprised if we got anything out of Sherrod... even before he got hurt he looked much more like a bartender than a 1st rd pick. I've already written him off.

TT won't invest in another OT early if for no other reason than Sherrod still has to prove he's a no-hoper. That should happen this year... so OT will be at the top of our wishlist next year.
    wist

The way I look at it is, I trust Ted Thompson. At the time we drafted DS I was like WTH who is this guy in the first? Although that has happened on many occasions I.E. Nick Collins, Greg Jennings, Terrance Murphy (looked good before injury got him to) With all of that said for Thompson to have drafted him that high, he has to have talent, and with him not playing he will be CHEAP to resign when the time comes. I hope he turns it around because if he does we can get a discount at LT for a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    I'd be surprised if we got anything out of Sherrod... even before he got hurt he looked much more like a bartender than a 1st rd pick. I've already written him off.

TT won't invest in another OT early if for no other reason than Sherrod still has to prove he's a no-hoper. That should happen this year... so OT will be at the top of our wishlist next year.
    That and maybe he simply realizes that he hasn't exactly had terrific success picking on the OL.

This draft sucks at Center this year, in terms of depth. Maybe we're adding (along with OT) Center too for the 2014 draft. Maybe next season they'll really really want a running game with a really real RB. There's a very strong possibility we'll need at TE in the 2014 draft.

Round One:

The Green Bay Packers may have to tear up the go big on the DL and OL ...plus WR... plus DB blueprint in the early rounds. Instead opt for playmakers that put up points on the scoreboard. I know it sucks to go RB in round one but maybe the fact that an Eddie Lacy is there turns that around. If he has a solid Pro day (runs a 4.5-4.65 sec. 40) he could get gobbled up before pick#26. That might put TE Tyler Eifert in play. Certainly that in a BPA scenario based on some grades he's received. He must 'of course' really want to have an NFL career in Green Bay.

I've been thinking 'D' again for rounds 1 and 2. That #26 pick seems awkward to me this season, as I do my analysis. It always seems to get back to TE and Tyler Eifert @ # 26 and going big/wide/strong body DT @ pick #55. Again you have to look at offensive philosophy and look at RB and WR as well at #26.

Round Two:

Screw the grade and look for either John Jenkins or Brandon Williams at #55. Either one of these fellas do two things:

a) Give both Ryan Pickett and BJ Raji a rest before they burn out at seasons end.

b) Allow defensive sets that allow BJ Raji to make plays. That would make him happy.

Round Three:

It's seems to be getting around that the Steelers are interested in Montee Ball. There are loads of lies out there in April. Montee Ball generally grades out as a third round pick. He might very well go in round two.

If Pittsburg passes on him or goes in a different direction at RB. Would anyone here be really pissed if Ted Thompson took Montee ball at #88, assuming of course that he's still on the board?

After three picks then we would have:

Rd.1 Pick #26 *** RB Eddie Lacy or RB Tyler Eifert (and this option isn't really glorious). So many options at #26 have something wrong with them.

Rd. 2 Pick #55 *** DT John Jenkins or Brandon Williams.

Rd. 3 Pick # 88 *** RB Montee Ball. I'm also among other RB's. Assessing RB Le'Veon Bell, Michigan State. A certain member here might not like that choice.

PACKERS !

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    That and maybe he simply realizes that he hasn't exactly had terrific success picking on the OL.

This draft sucks at Center this year, in terms of depth. Maybe we're adding (along with OT) Center too for the 2014 draft. Maybe next season they'll really really want a running game with a really real RB. There's a very strong possibility we'll need at TE in the 2014 draft.

Round One:

The Green Bay Packers may have to tear up the go big on the DL and OL ...plus WR... plus DB blueprint in the early rounds. Instead opt for playmakers that put up points on the scoreboard. I know it sucks to go RB in round one but maybe the fact that an Eddie Lacy is there turns that around. If he has a solid Pro day (runs a 4.5-4.65 sec. 40) he could get gobbled up before pick#26. That might put TE Tyler Eifert in play. Certainly that in a BPA scenario based on some grades he's received. He must 'of course' really want to have an NFL career in Green Bay.

I've been thinking 'D' again for rounds 1 and 2. That #26 pick seems awkward to me this season, as I do my analysis. It always seems to get back to TE and Tyler Eifert @ # 26 and going big/wide/strong body DT @ pick #55. Again you have to look at offensive philosophy and look at RB and WR as well at #26.

Round Two:

Screw the grade and look for either John Jenkins or Brandon Williams at #55. Either one of these fellas do two things:

a) Give both Ryan Pickett and BJ Raji a rest before they burn out at seasons end.

b) Allow defensive sets that allow BJ Raji to make plays. That would make him happy.

Round Three:

It's seems to be getting around that the Steelers are interested in Montee Ball. There are loads of lies out there in April. Montee Ball generally grades out as a third round pick. He might very well go in round two.

If Pittsburg passes on him or goes in a different direction at RB. Would anyone here be really pissed if Ted Thompson took Montee ball at #88, assuming of course that he's still on the board?

After three picks then we would have:

Rd.1 Pick #26 *** RB Eddie Lacy or RB Tyler Eifert (and this option isn't really glorious). So many options at #26 have something wrong with them.

Rd. 2 Pick #55 *** DT John Jenkins or Brandon Williams.

Rd. 3 Pick # 88 *** RB Montee Ball. I'm also among other RB's. Assessing RB Le'Veon Bell, Michigan State. A certain member here might not like that choice.

PACKERS !

Bell might need to get a bit stronger to carry's Monte's Jock Strap
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post

Calling BS on this. The reports from the JSO and GBPG guys were that Sherrod was noticeably limping and laboring when he came off PUP last year. Certainly didn't sound like a guy who had it together physically but couldn't pass the mental barriers.
    Go PACK

Blog Entries
    I'll give him one more year before his name changes from Justine to Fruitcake

Roger Staffold.............that would be a dam nice LT for somebody and good chance he could be had for a 2nd rounder at this point........of course......the team would have to pay him
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post

Roger Staffold.............that would be a dam nice LT for somebody and good chance he could be had for a 2nd rounder at this point........of course......the team would have to pay him
    to me, spending a 2nd round pick on a proven LT is a no brainer. i would have to take your word though that he is a proven LT

you're gonna have to pay a decent LT no matter what, even if we draft one. hell even if we keep the one we have, eventually, we'll have to pay him like a starting LT

LT is something that TT has not been able to draft yet, thats why i'm all about a FA or a trade for one. its just too important, and you can't keep throwing first rounders trying to find one

It took Mike Flanagan over 2 years to return from a similar injury so I think it is rather premature to write him off just yet. This upcoming draft will tell us a lot if TT uses another high pick on a tackle. If he does then Sherrod's injury is worse than they are letting on.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    It took Mike Flanagan over 2 years to return from a similar injury so I think it is rather premature to write him off just yet. This upcoming draft will tell us a lot if TT uses another high pick on a tackle. If he does then Sherrod's injury is worse than they are letting on.
    yup, if he goes LT, OLB, or S, that should tell us all we need to know about just how much confidence the team has in sherrod, perry and Mcmillian

also, if we go ILB or TE, i think it tells us that this is probably hawk or finley's last year

I don't think they have a problem with Perry but I do hope we draft a safety. I'm not all that crazy about any of the guys we have back there right now. I doubt we'll draft a TE high unless one of the top ones falls but ILB wouldn't be a bad idea. Hawk is steady eddy but not much else.

Bell might need to get a bit stronger to carry's Monte's Jock Strap
    I'll take that as a NAY !!

Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641 View Post
    Calling BS on this. The reports from the JSO and GBPG guys were that Sherrod was noticeably limping and laboring when he came off PUP last year. Certainly didn't sound like a guy who had it together physically but couldn't pass the mental barriers.
    It's hard to say. MM was king of vague last November about what was holding Sherrod back.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...179764651.html

Sherrod, a first-round draft choice in 2011, moved gingerly through drills during the individual portion of practice. There were signs of a slight limp when he tried to run.

It has been 10 months since Sherrod underwent emergency surgery in Kansas City to repair the broken tibia and fibula in his right leg. The Packers described it as a "clean" break, but he doesn't appear even close to being able to participate in 11-on-11 drills.

"Well, I don't want to give up on Derek," coach Mike McCarthy said Friday. "We're taking baby steps. I think it's obvious if you've had a chance to watch him work."

"I will say this," McCarthy said. "Just watching him a couple weeks ago and watching him go through the individual (Friday), I think he's made some strides. He has that last hurdle he has to get over. This is the kind of drill work that he needs, to be in pads and go through the individual stuff."
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

and .... what are you talking about?

There's no $$$money$$$ for honey...honey.