Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: TE problem

Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641 View Post
    Quarless got 24 offensive snaps in week 1, 20 in week 2, and 14 in week 3 before he went down. That's not tag-worthy to me. I'd rather save it in case someone else gets injured. Especially the way this year is going when we are losing 2+ players a week.
    Do you propose just cutting him? If not, you might as well use the exception so he doesn't take up a roster spot.

In the years 1960, 1961 & 1962 Taylor actually outgained Brown 3,882 to 3,661. Brown was injured some in '62, but even so their performance were similar for those three years.

year -Taylor/Brown

1960 - 1101/1257
    1961 - 1307/1408
    1962 - 1474/996

Brown played three more seasons, gained nearly 5,000 yards and retired. Taylor gained just short of 3,000 yards those three season and about 1100 the two season safter that. At the starts of their careers, Brown gained nearly 4,000 yards, Taylor less than 1,000.

Brown was hands down better at the start and end of his career than Taylor was. But for a few years in the middle of their careers it was reasonable to ask who was the better back.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpe1027 View Post
    Do you propose just cutting him? If not, you might as well use the exception so he doesn't take up a roster spot.
    I think many are arguing they should stick him on regular IR for the balance of the season.
    I think the difference between Quarless and whomever they might sign to replace him is a bit more than people allow themselves to believe.

Quarless got 24 offensive snaps in week 1, 20 in week 2, and 14 in week 3 before he went down. That's not tag-worthy to me. I'd rather save it in case someone else gets injured. Especially the way this year is going when we are losing 2+ players a week.
    Quarless' value has generally been more late in the season than early in the season. When the Packers want to emphasize running more, I suspect Quarless will play more.

There is a wild card in all this. Quarless has a court date in October. He could also be facing a suspension. Add that to the mandatory 8 weeks of IR-DR and it might not make sense to use it on him.

But all "tag-worthy" means is a player you want on a roster, there truly is no advantage in saving for use on a better player. A better player likely is better off carried on inactive list. The IR-DR is most useful early in season, and will soon be irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I think many are arguing they should stick him on regular IR for the balance of the season.
    I think the difference between Quarless and whomever they might sign to replace him is a bit more than people allow themselves to believe.
    Quarless was not bad last season, his role is not to be a pass catching machine.

I think Q's offseason urban hunting accident has hardened attitudes against him among the hoi polloi (the restless savages.)

There is a wild card in all this. Quarless has a court date in October. He could also be facing a suspension. Add that to the mandatory 8 weeks of IR-DR and it might not make sense to use it on him.
    I forgot about that.

Can his ass!

Sorry, I equated full-IR to cutting in my head. They are not the same. Poor communication skills on my part. My point being, unless they expect to shelf him for the year, they might as well use it on him. I argue that it is better to use the designation on someone of mediocre value. A roster spot counts the same regardless of the quality of the player. Plus, on the off chance they make a quick comeback, it would suck to have superstar unavailable.

http://www.packers.com/news-and-even...6-f9fba5d1d663

The Green Bay Packers have placed TE Andrew Quarless on injured reserve – designated for return
    Go PACK

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    Quarless may be out 4-6 weeks with mcl sprain.
    http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/329993861.html

I don't think Kuhn or Backman can replace his skill set. Backman isn't ready.

What about letting Q sit for 8 weeks (IR designated to return) so they can find a replacement (can Perillo block?) without dropping another player from roster.
    Well, you called it. Well done.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Even a blind squirrel gathers no moss.

Unfortunately, patler convinced me to sell Q short moments before his stock soared.

Crap, now we are going to be anticipating the return of Andrew Quarless. I wonder if they can get their DR designation back if Q gets suspended while he's on it. Kind of like recovering a signing bonus or something.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    Crap, now we are going to be anticipating the return of Andrew Quarless.
    I'm not.

"Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

how shall we fuck off, oh Lord?
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

One of my favorite movie scenes of all time

Blog Entries
    There is very little out there for FA TE's.

The Falcons just signed Mickey Shuler JR, fer instance.

Maxie, keep that old school rollin'. This a great thread. In fact, start one.

Jim Brown is the greatest NFL player I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post
    Jim Brown is the greatest NFL player I've ever seen.
    A not too well known fact about Jim Brown is that he was only tackled three times.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    A not too well known fact about Jim Brown is that he was only tackled three times.
    Successfully tackled by an opponent, yes. The other times he stopped were cases of extreme sportsmanship.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    "Ron Kramer is murdering the Giants from his TE spot"

He's like a Ray Lewis out there!
    The post in another thread of David McCullough, I mean John Chancellor, reminded me that the voice in Rand's newsreel is Chris Schenkel, famous to me for being the ABC play by play guy for the Pro Bowlers tour. Nelson Burton Jr. was the expert commentator.

Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.