Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Packers are "set to sign" free agent TE Jared Cook.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Packers are "set to sign" free agent TE Jared Cook.

per rotoworld...

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Packers are "set to sign" free agent TE Jared Cook.

USA Today's Tom Pelissero reports the deal has been done since last week. Cook will take his
    physical and sign the contract Monday. Coach Mike McCarthy spoke at the Owners Meetings about the need for a "big man" to run down the middle of the field in the passing game. Cook has both the size and athletic ability to be that player for the Packers, but he has never been able to take advantage of his physical gifts on a consistent basis. He has also never played with Aaron Rodgers. Cook will be an interesting late-round name in drafts this summer.

Well, we'll see if AR cures what ails him. Mainly his inconsistent hands.

...though Finley had that issue too at times.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    This thread must be wrong. TT doesn't sign players like this. RonWolfGOAT told me so.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

In order for balance to be restored in the universe, one of our players will soon die. The Packers were never meant to sign free agents...

THEY WERE WARNED!!

Clearly this means Ted has been kidnapped and replaced by a replicant. Someone get a Voight-Kampff machine over to Lombardi Avenue.

Though it is an even-numbered year ...

Bretsky should be back the right-side up turtle avatar.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Still not a UFA!

SOUND?

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
    For Jared Cook & #Packers, it's a 1-year deal worth $3.6M, source said. Hope is, as with FAs this time of year, to kill it & sign long-term

RENTAL!

Tom Pelissero ‏@TomPelissero 8m8 minutes ago
    #Packers offered Jared Cook a 2-year deal. They settled on a 1-year pact that maxes out at $3.65 million with incentives, source said.

SELF CONFIDENT!
    Last edited by pbmax; 03-28-2016 at 09:43 AM.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Clearly this means Ted has been kidnapped and replaced by a replicant. Someone get a Voight-Kampff machine over to Lombardi Avenue.
    Why bother? He only has a year or two left. His inception date was 2014 after all (Peppers signing).

RonWolfGoat: What's it like to live in fear?
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    In order for balance to be restored in the universe, one of our players will soon die. The Packers were never meant to sign free agents...

This does not count as a "real" free agent signing, as Cook was cut...

C'mon, you know the drill by now.

I do hope this guy can help. Maybe now MM can keep that TE screen in the arsenal, if this guy has any shake and bake at all, or can at least get past that first 190 lb defensive back...

I wonder how fast he is.

Since the draft looked awful for a middle-of-the-field-stretching tight end, this looks like a good signing particularly this year.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Why bother? He only has a year or two left. His inception date was 2014 after all (Peppers signing).

RonWolfGoat: What's it like to live in fear?
    What if he is the Sean Young model Rachael?

Mark Murphy: I didn't know how long we had together... Who does?

This is pretty good. We get an athletic TE on a one year prove it deal. If he gets his act together and plays anywhere near his potential he could be the missing link this offense hasn't had since Finley. If he doesn't he's gone in 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    This is pretty good. We get an athletic TE on a one year prove it deal. If he gets his act together and plays anywhere near his potential he could be the missing link this offense hasn't had since Finley. If he doesn't he's gone in 2017.
    I would say this also pretty much guarantees that Quarless is not coming back. We use his remaining salary towards Cook

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 28m28 minutes ago
    Apparently he talked to Rodgers late last week. Cook’s goal was to land with best team and QB. Mission accomplished.

If he really was a leader, he would have talked KC into taking the Packers pick for Tony Gonzalez.

I would say so. Now, between the rookie pool and the injury-replacement pool, that's about it for signings. Plus, they might want to carry some over now in case they want to sign some of their many free agents-to-be next offseason.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

So I'm confused, does this count as a Free Agent signing or not?

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 28m28 minutes ago
    Apparently he talked to Rodgers late last week. Cook’s goal was to land with best team and QB. Mission accomplished.

If he really was a leader, he would have talked KC into taking the Packers pick for Tony Gonzalez.
    Aaron could talk that GM from KC trade Tony to us?

Freebie from gnb.Scout.com

Playing with Rodgers was the major reason why Cook chose the Packers after receiving strong interest from several teams — with the Bears, Panthers and Texans among the suitors. With the deal in place last week, Cook struck up a phone conversation with his new quarterback.
    http://www.scout.com/nfl/packers/sto...tight-end-cook

JSO: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/373716471.html

With Rodgers and Cook likely to fill the top two spots on the depth chart, the Packers are likely to move on from tight end Andrew Quarless, an unrestricted free agent. At 27 years old Quarless is younger than Cook, who turns 29 in April, but he is coming off the least productive year of his career.

Quarless spent the majority of the season on injured reserve/designated to return and appeared in only five games for the Packers. The former fifth-round draft pick of the Packers caught four passes for 31 yards and did not reach the end zone.

If Quarless does not return, the Packers still enter the spring with five tight ends on the roster. Behind Rodgers and Cook will be former sixth-round pick Kennard Backman, Justin Perillo and Mitchell Henry.

What if he is the Sean Young model Rachael?

Mark Murphy: I didn't know how long we had together... Who does?
    TT is not sexy. At least not sexy picks and FAs. And he looks a lot more like Rutger Hauer.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

With the deal in place last week, Cook struck up a phone conversation with his new quarterback.
    top questions:

1) Will you throw to me when covered?
    2) Will you throw to me in the flat only when I can be immediately tackled?
    3) How erratic do you expect to be this year?
    4) Why don't you get along well with Stubby*

*Cook will actually say 'Stubby'