From PFT.

I just love this kind of talk - especially when it comes from a no-name Viking who posted a whopping 5 sacks last season...

EDWARDS TARGETS STRAHAN’S RECORD

Posted by Mike Florio on May 25, 2008, 12:16 p.m.

Ray Edwards says that he plans to breaking the single-season sack record, currently held by Giants defensive end Michael Strahan.

All together now: “Who in the hell is Ray Edwards?”

Edwards is a defensive end with the Vikings, the fourth member of a neo-Purple People Eaters line featuring Pro Bowlers Jared Allen, Pat Williams, and Kevin Williams.

After being suspended four games in 2007 for violation of the league’s policy against anabolic steroids and related substances, Edwards has dedicated himself to becoming the best he can be.

“I look up to Strahan,” Edwards recently told KSTP-TV in Minnesota. ”I learned a lot from him watching and studying his film.

“This year I definitely plan on going out here and breaking Strahan’s record of 22 and 1/2 sacks this year.”

On the surface, Edwards’ claim is ludicrous. But given that he’s certain to face favorable matchups as offensive lines obsess over stopping Allen and the Williamses, Edwards will have more than a fair opportunity to make an impact.

To get there, he has taken up boxing, and he worked out nearly every day during the offseason. He’ll move to the left side of the defensive line, where he’ll face right tackles — just as Strahan has done.

Hey, Edwards probably won’t reach his goal. But at least he’s aiming high.