Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: McCarthy and "Close Games"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries
    Why so negative on Jennings Bretsky? Sure he had that TD gift-wrapped and ended up giving the ball away, but he's had a pretty damn good year overall.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    Why so negative on Jennings Bretsky? Sure he had that TD gift-wrapped and ended up giving the ball away, but he's had a pretty damn good year overall.
    I'm not negative on Jennings; he's had a stellar year and proven to be very reliable after Finley went down. He's legit top 10 in the NFL
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Senior Rat HOFer
    You're looking at individual talent, I'm looking at team impact. MM has already said that over half of his playbook is reliant on a running game. We haven't had a running game since Grant went down. It's not Grant's individual talent that's the huge loss but rather the benefits of a consistent threat in the run game. Suffice it to say, half of MM's playbook has been useless all season. I doubt the loss of Finley had a similar impact. As I said, Finley is certainly the better playmaker. He's a mismatch wherever he lines up because he's a superior athelete and there's no argument he's a guy you have to gameplan around. But his being in the game doesn't improve our offense as a whole the way a consistent run game does, and his loss hasn't restricted the offense nearly as much as the loss of Grant has.
    Chuck Norris doesn't cut his grass, he just stares at it and dares it to grow

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunakor View Post
    You're looking at individual talent, I'm looking at team impact. MM has already said that over half of his playbook is reliant on a running game. We haven't had a running game since Grant went down. It's not Grant's individual talent that's the huge loss but rather the benefits of a consistent threat in the run game. Suffice it to say, half of MM's playbook has been useless all season. I doubt the loss of Finley had a similar impact. As I said, Finley is certainly the better playmaker. He's a mismatch wherever he lines up because he's a superior athelete and there's no argument he's a guy you have to gameplan around. But his being in the game doesn't improve our offense as a whole the way a consistent run game does, and his loss hasn't restricted the offense nearly as much as the loss of Grant has.
    They both hurt no doubt. I'm of the opinion that the loss of Finley hurts more. Although the pass attack has rebounded after a few games of adjustment quite nicely - better than I feared. Jennings has really stepped up. Losing Finley also hurts the running game though, as backers and safeties would have to pay a lot more attention to him when he's in there, which can be just enough to create seams when they are not as aggressive in run support.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    They both hurt no doubt. I'm of the opinion that the loss of Finley hurts more. Although the pass attack has rebounded after a few games of adjustment quite nicely - better than I feared. Jennings has really stepped up. Losing Finley also hurts the running game though, as backers and safeties would have to pay a lot more attention to him when he's in there, which can be just enough to create seams when they are not as aggressive in run support.
    I appreciate Gunakor's perspective (better play-action would certainly help the O) but I'm mostly on this side of the argument. Interesting 'chicken and egg' question with pass setting up run setting up pass controversy at the heart of it... To me though, the key will always be great players forcing other teams into situations they don't want. Having to game plan for Finley or Matthews will free up other to make plays...

I'd take Kampman in his prime over Allen. Allen was probably a little better as a pass rusher, but Kampman was much better run defender. I think AK74 was a tad underrated and Allen is a tad overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    I'd take Kampman in his prime over Allen. Allen was probably a little better as a pass rusher, but Kampman was much better run defender. I think AK74 was a tad underrated and Allen is a tad overrated.
    Perhaps, and given that AK played on the left and Allen plays on the right, their coaches might have thought the same thing. But I always thought Kampman was blockable in the run game. He did not get out of position, but he was often retreating to make the hit.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    And AK74u is my favorite gun on Black Ops

Serious thread drift

I'm thinking that when your other outside linebacker is Brad Jones - no, wait, Frank Zombo - no, wait, Erik Walden - no, wait, Robert Francois - well, you get my point. Kinda hard to move him all over when the guy on the other side is new every week.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Time to put this thread back on track:

MM should be ashamed. He STILL can't win close games. That fool is 0-6 this year in games decided by 4 or less. Doesn't he know that doubling up the #1 seed is the mark of a BAD COACH? He absolutely MUST start letting teams compete with us if he ever wants to be cosidered great.
    Last edited by bobblehead; 01-16-2011 at 07:02 AM.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Senior Rat HOFer
    Agreed. If I have to stomach another 27 point victory in the playoffs I'm gonna have to stop by McCarthy's house with a carton of eggs.
    Chuck Norris doesn't cut his grass, he just stares at it and dares it to grow

PS...after the horrendous situation Mike Smith put his team in with 10 seconds to go in the first half, does anyone wish to update their ranking of coaches?

As I said earlier, and in all seriousness. Players win games, not coaches. ARod was sick yesterday, and TWill deserves co-MVP for the game. Clay was disruptive, JJ was almost as good as he thinks he is, and Jennings picked his sack up after the fumble. And oh, don't forget the Jordy love either.

PPS...even though starks was unremarkable running it, anyone notice the fantastic blocking he did on ARod's TD run? Against a lineman no less.
    Last edited by bobblehead; 01-16-2011 at 07:06 AM.

Jim Caldwell, Mike Smith, I warned everyone but no one listened. Even Mike Tomlin tried to give that game away with poor challenge decisions in the first half. Coaching houses of straw I tell you.

They are giving coaches named Mike a bad name.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

This will be a great test of MM's game planning abilities. I believe his offensive line is not very good compared to the Bears' defensive line, and MM is going to have to figure out how to work around that problem.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    This will be a great test of MM's game planning abilities. I believe his offensive line is not very good compared to the Bears' defensive line, and MM is going to have to figure out how to work around that problem.
    Not to be a smartass, but won't he do that the same way as he did two weeks ago? I'm just sayin'
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Oh yea, I'm going there.

Fucking MM can't win ONE SINGLE close game in the playoffs. Fucker is likely to win the superbowl by 25 points just to prove he is incompetent.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Oh yea, I'm going there.

Fucking MM can't win ONE SINGLE close game in the playoffs. Fucker is likely to win the superbowl by 25 points just to prove he is incompetent.
    Why? McCarthy once again failed to win a close game. (Remember that a close game is arbitrarily defined as a game won by 4 points or fewer.)
    Last edited by HarveyWallbangers; 01-24-2011 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Oh yea, I'm going there.

Not sure what you're really saying but I add this: Packers, collectively, made it a close game versus Bears yesterday and nearly lost a sure win by fucking their own minds up. Almost happened in Philly twice this season as did the the totally pounding of Patriots and that game was lost. This worries the objective fan!
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2019,
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2018,
    PackerRats Pick'Em 2016-17 Champ + Packers year Survival Football Champ 2017,
    Rats Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2013,
    Ratz Survival Football Champ 2012,
    PackerRats1 Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2006.

I think the Pack made the game close yesterday by playing very vanilla all the way around the 2nd half! I think the ultra conservative approach was by design, as they didn't want to get beat by def. or ST play and didn't believe a 3rd stringer could beat them. The Bears just have a knack for muddling up games and it happened again. This is just their style and it works for them. Seems like they aren't doing a damn thing, an wala, there they are driving for a winning or tieing score. It all worked out in the end, but they sure made it alot scarier than it had to be!