Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: This man can hit ! LB Vontaze Burfict...The Meanest Man in College.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I don't need to read a Scott Campbell post. I can easily imagine it's lack of genuine wit and decency. It's 'low life' attempt at humour at another person's expense.

I always feel sad for Scott Campbell. He can never get his gun clear of his holster.

'Damn! Shot myself in the foot again' ...Scott Campbell.

Scott Campbell again demonstrates his sparse wisdom combined with a weakened state of constitution to demonstrate just what 'Public Relations' isn't.

Scott Campbell always reminding me of 'a lesser form of the pesky black fly' we often 'spit out' up here in Canada.

You cannot ignore em....when their around and they will always be around.

SO YOU 'just' IGNORE HIM.
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 04-11-2012 at 10:50 PM.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    I don't need to read a Scott Campbell post. I can easily imagine it's lack of genuine wit and decency. It's 'low life' attempt at humour at another person's expense.

I always feel sad for Scott Campbell. He can never get his gun clear of his holster.

'Damn! Shot myself in the foot again' ...Scott Campbell.

Scott Campbell again demonstrates his sparse wisdom combined with a weakened state of constitution to demonstrate just what 'Public Relations' isn't.

Scott Campbell always reminding me of 'a lesser form of the pesky black fly' we often 'spit out' up here in Canada.

You cannot ignore em....when their around and they will always be around.

SO YOU 'just' IGNORE HIM.

Nice job!

Hi Scott. Have a lovely day. (-:

Ohh...

My 'side of the street'. It's generally 'the sunny side'; often very nice over here.
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 04-12-2012 at 08:53 AM.
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...und-the-league

Report: Browns interested in LB Vontaze Burfict

• By Marc Sessler NFL.com
    • Writer
    • Published: April 11, 2012 at 11:46 a.m.
    • Updated: April 11, 2012 at 01:01 p.m.
    Comment woodbuck27: ** I'll follow up on this as it may change as sometimes what appears to be 'a TRUTH' is otherwise 'just' rumour.** 2 Updates on Thurs. 12 April 2012. woodbuck27

I noted this portion of the article:

Burfict generated negative press in 2011 for a locker-room scuffle with teammate Kevin Ozier, a wide receiver. I sat in on a conversation with Burfict at the combine where he said he learned from the incident. In the same conversation, Burfict cast blame on his college coaches for an "average" junior season.

"The coaches kind of messed me up, like, I didn’t know if I was going to start a game, I didn't know if I was going to be benched," Burfict said. "So, it hurt me at times, but I tried to fight through it." Fr. Article

woodbuck27:

It might be best for this man to 'just' hope he gets drafted. I believe that he once at least 'flashed' the certain skill and tools it might take to contribute positively to an NFL team willing to take a chance with him.It would more than likely come form a teaqm suchas 'the Browns' that has a lot of picks in this draft. They have one more than our twelve. The draft is serious business and no team should waste 'a pick'. Every pick has to be carefully considered as valuable to that teams future. IMO one of the most valid reasons for electing to pick any prospect is that man's attitude,charactern and possible ability to contribute overall to a team in and out of the locker rom. On and off the field.

Can that pick contribute to 'the leadership' of any team?

A team such as 'the BROWNS' may one day really decide he's worth 'a risk'; but IMO must examine that risk with due prudence. They should talk to that man. There's certain advantage in really meeting a person.

************************************************** ********************************************

** Update: **:

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...=231362&spln=1

************************************************** *********************************************

** Update: **

http://www.sbnation.com/2012-nfl-dra...ontaze-burfict

GO PACKERS !
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 04-12-2012 at 12:58 PM.

I get the bad-ass nature that you like about him. He definitely has that, and it is a good thing to have in a LB. Haven't seen it around here since Wayne Simmons. The problem is the red flags. Enough that it is a huge risk to take him early. His production was down considerably last year, in large part because his coaches couldn't trust him. Because of that the combine was very important for him. Had he prepped better and put up better numbers then his stock would not have dropped so much. Because his numbers were not good that will make some concerned that he is not as talented as the initial impressions were. The bad interviews suggest that the problem was more him than his coaches, so there is a real risk that the NFL coaches won't be enough to mold him correctly. If I were a GM I would start considering him in from the 5th round on. That's a good place to start with the hit and miss prospects. He could be the next Ray Lewis, but he could also easily be the next training camp cut.

Not that there is nothing to indicate that the Baltmore guy actually has a high or even mid-round grade on the guy, you can read his statement several ways.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    I get the bad-ass nature that you like about him. He definitely has that, and it is a good thing to have in a LB. Haven't seen it around here since Wayne Simmons. The problem is the red flags. Enough that it is a huge risk to take him early. His production was down considerably last year, in large part because his coaches couldn't trust him. Because of that the combine was very important for him. Had he prepped better and put up better numbers then his stock would not have dropped so much. Because his numbers were not good that will make some concerned that he is not as talented as the initial impressions were. The bad interviews suggest that the problem was more him than his coaches, so there is a real risk that the NFL coaches won't be enough to mold him correctly. If I were a GM I would start considering him in from the 5th round on. That's a good place to start with the hit and miss prospects. He could be the next Ray Lewis, but he could also easily be the next training camp cut.

Not that there is nothing to indicate that the Baltmore guy actually has a high or even mid-round grade on the guy, you can read his statement several ways.
    I would simply get that fella in for a workout. I want him to run faster than what 5.09 Seconds in the 40 yard sprint. This fella ..that position. I don't even spend a minute wondering about some slow timed speed wherever. he's in now for me to look at. I certainly believe by now or because he's in Green Bay that we both know he will motor. He'd better motor. If he doesn't then lunch will be simple.

After the workout and lunch maybe a stroll in a park with loads of pedestrian traffic. Don't forget the muzzle!?

Nope don't need that caution....unless I observe him filing his teeth.

Then....take Mr. Burfict out for some decent food and maybe a beer or two. Ask him if he had any preference for some later entertainment ie bowling/maybe shoot some stick? Get him to bed a tad late. Give him an alarm clock.

Inform him of the morning workout 'in pads'. Get him salivating that Mike Mccarthy will be in attendance and wants to belly bump with him. See if he has......a sense of humour.

Yup ! Vontaze....up at 9 AM. Hangover!?? Too bad ...so sad. Wanna be a PACKER?

Ask him how he enjoyed yesterday in Green Bay? Ask him all kinds of questions to see his cool.

Ask him about his family and Friends. Any 'Special relationships' questions are 'off limits'. Sorry Fritz.

Has he ever imagined being a Green Pay Packer? Does he know anything about Packer history and who was Vince Lombardi? Ask him to finish the sentence..."Show me a good loser and ...."

Get him some lunch ...some really spicy food. Tacos might get there if there's a half decent Mexican joint in The County....

Maybe a couple of hot dogs 'all dresed' as well. This boy looks like he can eat hahaaha.... ' DO NOT'.... SERVE HIM anything raw...like Sushi ....OK fish might be fine... but RARE Steak with lots of blood running all over his plate and drippin' off his chin...NOPE! We do NOT need to see that........ ever !

and .....well again.... feed him a couple of beers. Maybe a shooter or two something like...tee kill yaa. Then observe him...quietly and unassumedly ........observe him.

I would check this man out !!! If he checked out A..OK. Then I would inform him that 'the Green Bay Packers' have an interest in him and >>> 'just' demonstrated that TRUTH.

I would compare this man to many many others including those I might draft in rounds 1-3. Really it comes down to limiting RISK. It has sweet 'D' all to do with media driven hype 'positive or negative'. Ignore the bullshit.

It comes down to ...YOU the GM or Scout or Head of Player Personal or the Special Assistant 'to whatever' and >>> giving every prospect you might have a real interst in:

A FAIR SHAKE !

By the way I'm not high on this possible prospect. I'm 'only really interested' in Votaze Burfict 'the human being'...the person. I would show an interest in him if he was on my radar as a possible prospect.

Maybe I will keen up on Vontaze Burfict the LBer and 2012 Draft prospect if i could assess him more deservedly.
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 04-13-2012 at 06:05 AM.

I wouldn't mind taking him in the 5th or later. Just tell Greene to knock the shit out of him if he gets out of line. You never know if being surrounded by players with more stature than him might cause an attitude adjustment.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    I wouldn't mind taking him in the 5th or later. Just tell Greene to knock the shit out of him if he gets out of line. You never know if being surrounded by players with more stature than him might cause an attitude adjustment.
    Just walking into Lambeu Field will cause an attitude adjustment as long as he recently visited the mens room he shoud be OK for about 45 minutes before he gets the shits again.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Another story of a guy with a million dollar body but a 2 cent head. There's been loads of those throughout the years in every sport. Why they are that way who knows, but it's not like this guy is some anomily.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

But you can't assess him more deservedly, Wood. None of us can. You'd have to be an actual scout, watch hours and hours of film, talk to the guy's coaches, talk to friends and acquantances, and talk to the guy himself. You'd have to watch him at the combine or at his pro day, having also watched dozens and dozens of other guys playing the same position. You'd have to talk with other scouts from other regions and compare notes.

That's why Thompson - and the Ravens scout - are correct when they say most of us, including the so-called experts like Mike MayCock or SMell Pipejob, don't know a damn thing about how players are actually assessed.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    But you can't assess him more deservedly, Wood. None of us can. You'd have to be an actual scout, watch hours and hours of film, talk to the guy's coaches, talk to friends and acquantances, and talk to the guy himself. You'd have to watch him at the combine or at his pro day, having also watched dozens and dozens of other guys playing the same position. You'd have to talk with other scouts from other regions and compare notes.

That's why Thompson - and the Ravens scout - are correct when they say most of us, including the so-called experts like Mike MayCock or SMell Pipejob, don't know a damn thing about how players are actually assessed.

Exactly Fritz and in this thread like many others. When we focus on the key issue (s) We can arrive at a conclusion in concert here. It damn hard to do that when some clown offers no more than peanut shells.

I'm fun .... I'm also serious. I'm serious about the health of the Packers. I don't want to have to wait ** another 14 seasons before they get to another Super Bowl Championship. In 14 years my time in the 40 yard sprint will likely be in the 5.09 seconds range. Isn't that ridiculous ! I 'only' weigh in at about 182 lbs.

** I don't ever imagine that TT can accomplish enough to get that done this season but maybe? in three. I hope so. If TT takes longer than 3 seasons I still won't hate him. I promise.

Fritz:

I've been thinking about this post since I first read it. It took me to school. Thanks.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    LOL. Who is SMell Pipejob? I assume Mel Kiper...
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

" If you've ever talked to one, you will know that they can be ornery cusses, since "being opinionated" is a plus in this business (for example professional scout, who has worked for the Packers, Dave-Te Thomas hates Perry, Poe, Still, and doesn't like Upshaw.) No one who works at ESPN in a draft capacity will admit to disliking all four of those guys, at least not on camera. " Lurker64

There is the kind of reporting that IMO makes Packerrats awesome and backs up my feeling that we have some of the very BEST NFL fans of any internet site.

Let's make it better Packerrats. Let's GROW.

Few more tidbits. He did manage to improve his 40 times at a workout on March 30th to ~4.8, so he is not hideously slow, but not all that fast. He did not do the 3 cone or shuttle at the combine (which seem to be TT's preferred numbers). At the pro-day on March 16th he did about 16 reps on the press, and reportedly did poorly in the position drills.

I don't see anything else to be gained by bringing him in for a workout. There just isn't that much more to learn since they've had several chances to see him and interview him if they wanted to (I don't have any list of who the Packers interviewed at the combine). TT usually reserves the limited number of allowed private workouts for 7th round to UFA's that they haven't had a good chance to see in person. Given the Packers success with the UFA's, I wouldn't want that to change.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

</delurk>

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker64 View Post
    That video of him versus Wisconsin is a good example of why the highlight videos can be misleading.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    That video of him versus Wisconsin is a good example of why the highlight videos can be misleading.

pbmax...based on what you see in this video does Vontaze Burfict look like a terrible choice as an ILB prospect? I'm not putting you on 'the spot here'. I'm just interested in what your analysis is of him overall in this game?

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    pbmax...based on what you see in this video does Vontaze Burfict look like a terrible choice as an ILB prospect? I'm not putting you on 'the spot here'. I'm just interested in what your analysis is of him overall in this game?
    I have a history of being completely incorrect in trying to judge who will be able to make the leap to the pros. So take this with a grain of salt.

Play after play he is slow to get out of his stance (slower than other backers) and then waltzes into his gap. He does engage blockers, but only long enough to see where the RB is going. If the running back heads to a different gap, he stops and walks around. I did not see enough coverage to make any kind of guess. A middle linebacker who offers no assistance or pursuit is pretty useless. I don't remember enough about the game to know whether this tape is sequential or a lowlights package.

In terms more familiar to me, he looks like the kid who declares that he will be the free safety when you play a game of pickup football. 5 on 5 or 7 on 7, this guy decides he wants to free lance and leave a player uncovered. He is uninterested in actually playing to help the team win, he wants to deliver a kill shot somewhere, headed downhill, and is putting that agenda ahead of the team.

I have seen this kid twice, so nothing here can be taken as authoritative. But the terms uninterested and selfish do come to mind.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I have a history of being completely incorrect in trying to judge who will be able to make the leap to the pros. So take this with a grain of salt.

Play after play he is slow to get out of his stance (slower than other backers) and then waltzes into his gap. He does engage blockers, but only long enough to see where the RB is going. If the running back heads to a different gap, he stops and walks around. I did not see enough coverage to make any kind of guess. A middle linebacker who offers no assistance or pursuit is pretty useless. I don't remember enough about the game to know whether this tape is sequential or a lowlights package.

In terms more familiar to me, he looks like the kid who declares that he will be the free safety when you play a game of pickup football. 5 on 5 or 7 on 7, this guy decides he wants to free lance and leave a player uncovered. He is uninterested in actually playing to help the team win, he wants to deliver a kill shot somewhere, headed downhill, and is putting that agenda ahead of the team.

I have seen this kid twice, so nothing here can be taken as authoritative. But the terms uninterested and selfish do come to mind.
    Thanks. I'm cautious in making up my mind but I will be back on this. I did notice he seems a bit one tracked minded and that he can come in a bit late on some plays....tackles. I question his intelligence as his play translates to that.