Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: The Meadow?

I came here to offer an example of conduct that I think needs to be stopped, since I don't wish to be accused of hiding in dark corners or being a pussy (non-gender specific variety spinelessness).

http://packerrats.com/showthread.php...048#post667048

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeLH2006 View Post
    I'd be even more surprised if you didn't threaten a Rat...or your hero Finley didn't impregnate/give another poor girl herpes who is not his wife this week.
    The list of transgressions this single line contains is impressive, its close to Skin's work. As the work of a troll, its impressive. But its also in the Packer's forum. And as such there is no reason for it to continue to display.

A lot of heat and debate has been created about how to encourage and expand PackerRats. I doubt there is much of an audience for this crap in a football forum.

The Packer Forum can continue to be an experiment in free speech and effective self-regulation. But if its going to grow it needs to be about football. Not drama or personal insults.

Someone needs the authority to just delete the comment. Clean, no drama about the comment. If someone wants to move it to RR, FYI or the Meadow to discuss it, fine. But it doesn't belong in the Packer Forum. There is no argument I am aware of that continuing to accept quality trolling will increase visitors or usage in that Forum. Ignoring Snake isn't a good alternative as much of his material is well worth the read. Banning someone (or suspending them) is unnecessary for a single mistake. Harlan's leave alone request is backwards for that Forum. There has to be a different standard for a post to stay.

That post needs to disappear. My 2 cents.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    You make an excellent point PB: if you make a clearly offensive post, away it goes. However, that requires the continuous presence of an owner and/or moderator(s) that care and that have common sense and discretion.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Isn't that what the "report post" pyramid thing below the poster's avatar is supposed to do? I've never reported a post myself, but I could imagine where it could be used to trigger some kind of executive review process and then, it it's deemed a personal attack, it goes away.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I have a child who refers to this place as PacerRats Facebook. I tell them its more like PackerRats Middle School.
    PackerRats discussion.

After lunch the players lounged about the hotel patio watching the surf fling white plumes high against the darkening sky. Clouds were piling up in the west… Vince Lombardi frowned.

That post needs to disappear. My 2 cents.
    So, essentially, now personal quips about players based on allegations shouldn't be tolerated? I'm not sure what's trolling about someone adding a little humor to their post. Unless there's some context to the first sentence that makes this all somehow more nefarious than it looks.

You're being a total pussy, BTW. Transgressions? Transgressing what? Finely's fine moral character?

It's not like snake graphically described how Finley face fucked some woman and gave her head herpies or talked about how terrible Finley looks in Brandon's avatars.
    Last edited by SkinBasket; 05-01-2012 at 02:58 PM.

I came here to offer an example of conduct that I think needs to be stopped, since I don't wish to be accused of hiding in dark corners or being a pussy (non-gender specific variety spinelessness).

I appreciate the open an honest communication. And the little dig. Nicely done!

Though I agree that Snake was out of line and offensive, I disagree with your call for censorship. I think the issue was adequately dealt with in the thread.

Even if it's the right thing to do in this case, it's too slippery of a slope. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    Isn't that what the "report post" pyramid thing below the poster's avatar is supposed to do? I've never reported a post myself, but I could imagine where it could be used to trigger some kind of executive review process and then, it it's deemed a personal attack, it goes away.
    I just reported your post to see if it is reviewed.
    After lunch the players lounged about the hotel patio watching the surf fling white plumes high against the darkening sky. Clouds were piling up in the west… Vince Lombardi frowned.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    You make an excellent point PB: if you make a clearly offensive post, away it goes. However, that requires the continuous presence of an owner and/or moderator(s) that care and that have common sense and discretion.

"The road to hell was paved with good intentions."
    Harlan Huckleby

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    If you have an issue with something say it. I'm alway here. Hard to take you serious after all the goodbye threads.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    That us exactly how it works and we could go that route. Of course then you will be called a pussy for not dealing with it yourself.

I've thought a little more about this. It's a pretty interesting topic. I think the "delete the post" option is the conventional method of dealing with Snake's post. There are 20 other Packer sites that would do exactly that.

Maybe the question should be - do we really want to be just like 20 other Packer sites?

I think our dysfunction might be the only truly differentiating characteristic of PackerRats. Too much dysfunction is clearly a bad thing, and will drive away posters. The right amount of dysfunction provides some much needed comic relief on the slow news days.

As usual there is no answer that will please everyone, and Madtown will get skewered no matter what he decides.

A lot of heat and debate has been created about how to encourage and expand PackerRats. I doubt there is much of an audience for this crap in a football forum.

I respectfully disagree with this. I think there are 2 draws to this place:

1) Characters.
    2) Content.

You view would seem to place a premium on the content over the characters. I would value them equally.

I think all the posts reminiscing about Partial and Ty are evidence as to the value of the characters.

Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker View Post
    If you have an issue with something say it. I'm alway here.
    I will.

The discussion was about what type of posts turn people off. PBmax told you. He's just one guy. That particular post by snake had him calling out another poster "I'd be even more surprised if you didn't threaten a Rat." Either you're going to allow that or not. It's up to you. But generally speaking, you have to have some consistent standards and consistent monitoring. It's your forum and your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker View Post
    Hard to take you serious after all the goodbye threads.
    True. one thread was obviously intended to be humorous. If you took it serious that's your problem. The other was ill advised, but honest. If people who I like reading keep leaving, I'm eventually going too.
    Last edited by mraynrand; 05-01-2012 at 04:39 PM.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Campbell View Post
    I've thought a little more about this. It's a pretty interesting topic. I think the "delete the post" option is the conventional method of dealing with Snake's post. There are 20 other Packer sites that would do exactly that.

Maybe the question should be - do we really want to be just like 20 other Packer sites?

I think our dysfunction might be the only truly differentiating characteristic of PackerRats. Too much dysfunction is clearly a bad thing, and will drive away posters. The right amount of dysfunction provides some much needed comic relief on the slow news days.

As usual there is no answer that will please everyone, and Madtown will get skewered no matter what he decides.
    Pretty much true. But you would think that it can't be terribly hard to have a relatively consistent policy. Either you allow certain things or not. Or, you could just say, Madtown will decide crap depending on what he thinks so deal with it. People are all over the map, so I guess I agree that there is no good solution that will satisfy everyone. I'd be happy with the rules as stated but with an addendum: "repetitive personal attacks (flame wars) will result in ------- by the administrator" - and as I've said before, the bar can be pretty high, that is, you probably don't have to do anything unless people really start complaining. It's a tough road to walk, because a number of people are really sensitive and may just leave without even telling you they've been offended.

OK, now I'm totally bored

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Campbell View Post
    I respectfully disagree with this. I think there are 2 draws to this place:

1) Characters.
    2) Content.

You view would seem to place a premium on the content over the characters. I would value them equally.

I think all the posts reminiscing about Partial and Ty are evidence as to the value of the characters.
    If you eliminate the crap PB is talking about, do you eliminate the characters?

If you eliminate the crap PB is talking about, do you eliminate the characters?

Good question.

I suspect that "characters" includes train wrecks, and if you eliminate posts like snake's then you're preempting wrecks.

There is no common sense and discretion. As we see, everybody has a different idea about what is good sense and discretion.

My preference would be to let Skinbasket's lax standards carry the day. Of course he has been found-out to be a blowhard who wouldn't seize the reigns even if they were offered. And I doubt anybody else is clammering to manage the site. So whatever Madtown says is OK will do.

Mad's limits and tastes are pretty well understood by now. When he doesn't like somebody's behavior, he whacks them on the peepee. Or if the bad boy is especially unpopular, a poll is conducted to trumpet the obvious and ease their exit.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    There is no common sense and discretion.
    I guess I should have expected something this inane from you. Seriously, I expect that people could agree on some basic standard. Yes people have different ideas about the extremes. But it's not about what WE agree on. It's about what the administrator wants to enforce. Have a simple standard and enforce it. My guess is that's just too much work. I have some sympathy, as it seems like a lot of work to supervise the whole thing, but with out a standard, and a willingness to oversee it, what you end up with is chaos.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    So whatever Madtown says is OK will do. Mad's limits and tastes are pretty well understood by now.
    I'm OK with it too - it's his site. So long as these standards are reasonably conveyed and reasonably enforced, what's to complain about?

I want PBMax and Snake to be sent to the meadow together to learn about each other and work out their differences.