Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
The error they are making is waiting until they are FAs to come out. A starter who recently signed a moderate extension should be the first to do it, and without great fanfare. Teams are full of those kinds of players, and I suspect some are gay.
There is certainly logic to that approach from a financial aspect in the immediate term. But I doubt the player sees it that way. I think they view coming out as a risk, to both the current and future contracts. To them it would also be a risk with teammates and coaches to drop that after signing. I suspect some teams in the article passed on the entire possibility just to avoid the issue. To have it dropped in their lap after a signing likely will not go over well. Some will see the logic, others will see duplicity.

I think the likeliest candidates will be older and wanting to start afresh, on honest terms, with a new deal (probably what they view as the last deal) so there is no surprise and some announced support from within the organization.