Quote Originally Posted by SkinBasket View Post
Why did they "need" to come out? Can't they just be gay without being an activist about it or telling a world that shouldn't, and for the most part doesn't, care anymore?
Because it still carries a stigma whether people want to hear about it or not. The fact that some posters on this board say its fine and we don't need to hear anymore is not proof positive that acceptance has been achieved.

Patler just mentioned that the Hockey Associations are working toward making on out hockey player possible, if nothing else need be done, exactly what are they doing? There are folks inside and outside the NFL trying to make this possible, exactly what barriers are they working to take down if there are none?

I am pretty sure there is a cornerback for the 49ers (or was, the comment was last year) who recently informed us he wasn't down with the gays. He was asked about having a gay teammate. Now its possible he simply doesn't agree with the fashion trends, but its also possible he is really not happy about having a gay teammate. If its one guy, then there isn't much of a problem. But since no one wants to talk about it, how much support is there for his position on his team and in that org?

Could be very little, could be a lot. Hard to know if no one talks about it. These conversations need to happen.

If one athlete does come out, these conversations then have to happen. Teams will have meetings, reporters will have leverage to get statements from teams. Up to that point, it possible to imagine all is well for ANY position.

Is it ideal? Not really, because it will get confused with celebrity culture and coverage. Conclusions will be drawn about the whole from one part. But it still beats silence.

I think most gay players (most gay people probably) agree with you, that they would prefer just to be. But from the perspective of a gay player, I don't think that means all is well.