Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
Analytics in the Four Major Sports. Packers rank in the second group, get dinged for McCarthy's non-use in games and Thompson only beginning to dabble. But have respected researcher (Eayrs) and have adjusted their practice schedules to data on athletic performance.

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/stor...nkings#nfl-gnb
This is an interesting and rapidly evolving subject for the game of football.

I think the use of analytics has strong potential to differentiate and/or validate what people see - because so many people watch the exact same thing yet see things radically different. So many different variables impact outcomes that it's difficult (at best) to model and analyze.

And at the same time the game changes so rapidly and players develop so much that they sometimes outpace reliable sample sizes for how various teams and players are likely to respond in different situations. So you've got to be careful about what data you look at and how you use it all.

I think there's a national conference on cybermetrics in football if I'm not mistaken. Or perhaps it encompasses all sports. There's a lot to be learned yet in using analytics in football I'd say, but it's time to dive in, build up the data and start making some models at minimum. Practice situations, injury probabilities, officiating tendencies...those seem to be good places to start but I do think analytics can aid coaching and GMing decisions too. Again those get very complex very quickly though. Not including all the variables that impact an outcome can lead to bad conclusions.

For the time being, I'll take Ted's experience and gut over some Moneyballer all day long. He's analytical enough on his own. RoboTed can wait until the real deal is gone.