View Poll Results: Is friction building between McCarthy and Thompson?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. 2 published reports, its officially a thing.

0 0%
  • Nope. Single report, one source, that could have been mere speculation.

17 100.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mike McCarthy Is On The Hot Seat

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    I consider Sitton a "great" pick... just not an elite player.

Get over it you guys, lol... you're such homers - if someone doesn't agree with every greatness green and gold utterance you guys make - it's blasphemy, and the sinner who uttered the offending words is a heretic!!!
    This discussion has lost focus and definition. You started out discussing "impact players". That changed to "elite players". I think they are different, with elite being a higher category. You see Sitton as neither, which I may disagree with, but can understand. The part I find astonishing is that you said Sitton does not even earn "very good" status, just "good". I think that is absurd.

I consider Sitton a "great" pick... just not an elite player.

Get over it you guys, lol... you're such homers - if someone doesn't agree with every greatness green and gold utterance you guys make - it's blasphemy, and the sinner who uttered the offending words is a heretic!!!
    If someone doesn't agree with you, they are homers.

*Yawn*

We need another shit stirrer in addition to Wist. I appreciate his contrarian view but we need a new set of opposing argument to spice this place up.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by George Cumby View Post
    *Yawn*

We need another shit stirrer in addition to Wist. I appreciate his contrarian view but we need a new set of opposing argument to spice this place up.

I HEAR MY NAME BEING CALLED.........lol.........I truly appreciate Wist as I come across as an optimist when he's around.

Up to this point TT has assembled a team that got hot at the right time and went on a run when the NFL was all about even. After that.....yup.........

a wise man once said

FART IN THE WIND
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

We are lucky to have McCarthy to turn this pile of nothing into a playoff caliber team I guess.

Its funny though, I never get the impression we are outclassed (when healthy) until M3 starts coaching close late game strategy. Must be my lying eyes.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    We are lucky to have McCarthy to turn this pile of nothing into a playoff caliber team I guess.

Its funny though, I never get the impression we are outclassed (when healthy) until M3 starts coaching close late game strategy. Must be my lying eyes.
    Has any coach had as many near-misses in the playoffs as MM? 2007, 2009, 2013-2015. 4 OT losses and 1 regulation game where SF won on the last play of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Has any coach had as many near-misses in the playoffs as MM? 2007, 2009, 2013-2015. 4 OT losses and 1 regulation game where SF won on the last play of the game.
    Its the Schottenheimer in him. For a long time I thought he had beaten it, but he hasn't worked through it yet.

Taking the ball out of the hands of your best player is such classic Martyball that it makes me want to weep.

He has improved on the original in so many ways that I thought this was a matter of time. But its still there.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I've liked a lot of the talent - but the overall finesse philosophy hurts the product on the field to whatever extent. The Packers have a soft reputation - enough so that commentators talk about it.

SF literally laughed at us for a few years running, as the kicked they shit out of us every time we played them. As a fan, I certainly didn't enjoy watching another team push us all over the field.

Something is wrong with the picture, if - as you guys say - Rodgers is the best player in the league, and we have half a roster of elite players, and the other have were ripped off by not being invited to the pro bowl.

It isn't just "late game" coaching meltdowns... although, I'm pretty sure McCarthy wears panties on game day, and when the pressure is on, his nuts are too shriveled to drive a stake into an opponents throat. No, there is something amiss - if it is true we have the best player in the NFL, and we can't win more than 1 championship in 11 years, and likely won't win another one anytime soon.
    wist

If you venture over to Footballs Future's Comparison forum there is a thread right now comparing Mike to John Harbaugh and JH is winning that pole by an overwhelming margin. I find that slightly ridiculous. Harbaugh is a good coach but he isn't light years better than MM.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB...c.php?t=579080

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    If you venture over to Footballs Future's Comparison forum there is a thread right now comparing Mike to John Harbaugh and JH is winning that pole by an overwhelming margin. I find that slightly ridiculous. Harbaugh is a good coach but he isn't light years better than MM.

I'd probably consider them to be pretty close as well. Homerism aside I still think I'd give MM a slight advantage
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    I'd probably consider them to be pretty close as well. Homerism aside I still think I'd give MM a slight advantage
    It will be interesting to look at this comparison in another 2 or 3 years. There are a lot of similarities in their careers. Each has won a SB in a somewhat improbably run as a wild card playoff team. Each has otherwise come up short in playoffs, including several Conference Championship Game losses. MM has a solid lead in regular season winning percentage, .653 to .602.

I say it will be interesting to look at this in a few years because, since winning the SB, Harbaugh has gone 8-8, 10-6 and 5-11. That's 23-25 in three seasons. This has begun to tarnish the stellar start he had in going 54-26 his first 5 seasons. Harbaugh's career could be defined by what happens in the next few years. So far, MM has not had any 3 year period without a winning record. He has had two 3 year periods in which he was 27-21, years 1-3 and 3-5.
    Last edited by Patler; 06-03-2016 at 06:38 AM.

Since we drifted off into how much TT sucks at drafting I think I will try taking us a little further off course. Schneider has done an amazing job in the late rounds but has been below average in the first two rounds. If this trend continues how long until he is called lucky?

assuming no injuries, I think perhaps Carolina might be better. I think on a neutral field vrs Seattle and Arizona we win 60% of the time. Patriots likely beat us because of Gronk (healthy he is arguably the best player in the league) . Pittsburgh and cincy are going to be 50/50.
    This is if everyone is healthy. And yes I think fully healthy Pitt and cincy are slightly better than Seattle and Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Upnorth View Post
    assuming no injuries, I think perhaps Carolina might be better. I think on a neutral field vrs Seattle and Arizona we win 60% of the time. Patriots likely beat us because of Gronk (healthy he is arguably the best player in the league) . Pittsburgh and cincy are going to be 50/50.
    This is if everyone is healthy. And yes I think fully healthy Pitt and cincy are slightly better than Seattle and Arizona
    The only people who think the Packers are better than Seattle and Arizona are Packer fans.

I might agree with being 50/50 with cincy and Pittsburgh, but both of those teams are much more physical than we are... that wins out more often than not, if all other things are equal.
    wist

The only people who think the Packers are better than Seattle and Arizona are Packer fans.
    Maybe not just Packer fans:

http://packerrats.com/showthread.php...st-Packers-2nd

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Obviously those guys at PFF are all homer Packer fans.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    McCarthy is not going any where unless he has two seasons in a row where he fails to win a playoff game and fails to win the division, and Ted Thompson retires.

The Packers have a solid roster. It is not an elite roster, but very few teams are stacked like the 49ers, Cowboys, and Packers of the 90s. You just don't see those kind of rosters anymore.

Thompson has built a roster each year with an ability to win a Division title, make it to the playoffs, and contend for one of the final 4 spots in the NFC. What he hasn't done is make high risk/high reward moves in free agency or in trades to bring in players that could possibly push the Packers into NFC Champions. Let's face it, Ted Thompson is not Ron Wolf. He will not sacrifice salary cap to make a push to the Super Bowl. His method is consistency and keeping fans content and hoping for a magic carpet ride to the Super Bowl. If the Packers stay relatively injury free which is unlikely under McCarthy they have a roster that can push for a Super Bowl.

Right now no part of the Packers is dynamic. The Passing game two years ago was dynamic, last year it was a little above average. The defense is decent but unspectacular, the running game was a flop last year, and special teams was better in 2015 but not dynamic. McCarthy will keep his job as long as Thompson is in charge, and he keeps his win total around 10 per year, but for the fans that want Super Bowls a change of how to build a roster might have to change.

Also this team has no swagger. You look at the 1996 team, that team had swagger.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Super bowl 51 odds to win as of 6/1:

• Patriots +700
    • Seahawks +800
    • Packers +1000
    • Steelers +1000
    • Panthers +1100
    • Cardinals +1200
    • Bengals +1800
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

That's a soft +1000. Those odds makers are clearly Packer homers.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    That's a soft +1000. Those odds makers are clearly Packer homers.
    Do you hit a soft 1000 or just double down?