Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best Rosters: Patriots 1st, Packers 2nd

Best Rosters: Patriots 1st, Packers 2nd

According to Pro Football Focus (via ESPN):
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/insider/story...6-depth-talent

2. Green Bay Packers

If Green Bay hits on its 2016 draft class, it could jump to No. 1. That would mean incoming draft picks replacing weak links sooner rather than later. Rodgers is still one of the best quarterbacks in the league, and with Nelson back he has a legitimate No. 1 receiver to throw to. The Packers' interior offensive line is among the best in the league, and if rookie Jason Spriggs can prove to be an upgrade over Bakhtiari at left tackle it could become one of the best units in the league, period.

On defense, the secondary is young and talented. They have been adding pieces to the front, but that remains a work in progress. The Packers are in danger of ruining Clay Matthews with position switches, and Daniels needs more help than they have given him so far on the line, but the talent is there to play better than they have.

Green Bay will be carried by its offense, and it should look significantly better than it did last season when injuries took a deep bite out of the roster.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

I don't know how that can be when there are only 2 or 3 difference makers on the team.

I mean my eyeballs tell me they are as good as anyone, but internet people obviously know better.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

That's a soft #2 roster.

TT and MM don't care about winning, just about getting into the playoffs. Time to send off some of our top-line talent before we accidentally win another SB.
    Go PACK

While we have a great roster, I don't think we are the #2 in depth. Oline, WR, RB, S and CB are solid. DL and LB not so much. Our secondary depth is some what limited in its effectiveness by our only mid quality pass rush.
    Don't get me wrong, I think our team can beat anyone else, but it helps having the QB we have.

Quote Originally Posted by Upnorth View Post
    While we have a great roster, I don't think we are the #2 in depth. Oline, WR, RB, S and CB are solid. DL and LB not so much. Our secondary depth is some what limited in its effectiveness by our only mid quality pass rush.
    Don't get me wrong, I think our team can beat anyone else, but it helps having the QB we have.
    We're pretty okay at QB, WR, Oline, OLB, S, and CB. ILB and DL could use some help, and maybe the rookies will show something, but that's a pretty significant portion of the roster to have in good shape at least from a 1's perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I don't know how that can be when there are only 2 or 3 difference makers on the team.

I mean my eyeballs tell me they are as good as anyone, but internet people obviously know better.
    This is just a sympathy ranking. The Packers could never compete with those powerhouse dynasties such as Seattle, Arizona, and Carolina. And the Vikings. They are the obvious new #1 dog in the NFC with their average QB and aging RB.

I'm not an Insider subscriber. Can someone list the others just to satisfy my curiosity? If you listen to most folks there must be some mistake here...

Carolina is #3, Pittsburgh is #4, Minnesota is #10, Detroit is #24, Chicago is #30.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

We have also included a list of the top five players on each roster, plus a look at starters who aren't up to par.
    Who did they list for the Packers' top 5 players, and which starters not up to par?

Top five players: QB Aaron Rodgers, OG T.J. Lang, OG Josh Sitton, DT Mike Daniels, WR Jordy Nelson

Starters who should be upgraded: LB Sam Barrington, OT David Bakhtiari, LB Jake Ryan, DE Letroy Guion, TE Jared Cook

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    Top five players: QB Aaron Rodgers, OG T.J. Lang, OG Josh Sitton, DT Mike Daniels, WR Jordy Nelson

Starters who should be upgraded: LB Sam Barrington, OT David Bakhtiari, LB Jake Ryan, DE Letroy Guion, TE Jared Cook
    Interesting that Cook is listed as a need for upgrade even though he has never played a down for the Packers. I'm hoping he will be an upgrade over what he has been so far in his career, playing with a decent QB for the first time in his career.

I am pretty sure this means either wist or red work at PFF!

I don't agree with Guion, though I am not sure he is the same kind of nose that Pickett and Raji were. Its kinda early for Cook as Patler said, but I can see being unimpressed if you look at his Rams production only.

Hard to not agree with the other three. If Bach is healthy, he doesn't scare me out there though.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Every team has starters that could be upgraded. Unfortunately there are 31 other teams in the league pulling from the same pool of players.

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    We're pretty okay at QB, WR, Oline, OLB, S, and CB.
    That's 15 of 22 starting positions that look to have solid starters and reliable backups. I would throw RB in there too, with a rejuvenated Lacy and Starks. I am hopeful TE might be just a notch below that, with Cook being a pleasant surprise as the starter, but backups being rather pedestrian. It has the potential of an offense without apparent weakness.

Defense being solid at CB, S and OLB is a very good start in the pass-happy NFL. Now it will be up to the three rookies and maybe Ringo to come in and make them better at DL and ILB, with hopeful upticks from Ryan and Barrington.

I think you also have to consider Crosby and the take-your-pick return men to be solid components of the roster. Masthay seemed to have a down year, yet demolished the Packer record for net punting average by a full yard (40.2/39.2), a record that was set in 1963 and never seriously challenged since then by anyone other than Masthay. (I hope Masthay bought nice gifts for Janis, Goodsen and the other members of the punt coverage team.)

Darn, this kool-aide is good!

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    I think if Peppers plays more as the 2nd defensive linemen during passing downs then as an OLB the Packers defense should be better for it. I would also like to see him as more of a 4 tech head up on the tackle in the base defense as well. He was a great athlete in his prime, he is still considered a great athlete for his age, but I think he could make a bigger impact on the defensive line. I think Perry should get a chance to start and moving Peppers around gives the defense a chance to get their best football players on the field at the same time.

I think the ILB position will clear up as training camp hits. I think Ryan will be a good player and a great value as a 4th round pick, and Martinez is already demonstrating his ability to pick up the defense in OTAs. Barrington needs to stay healthy so the Packers can truly evaluate his value to this defense. With his injury history I see Martinez and Ryan playing most of the year. Clay will stay outside for the most part because his value is as a pass rusher.

I thinking drafting Spriggs was a huge bonus to the offensive line that has been plagued with injuries. It will force guys to play hard through injuries and also to protect their bodies if they want to continue to start.

I like the roster. In fact, I think it's one of the more balanced rosters they've had in awhile. I think ILB will end up not being as weak as people think. I like Jake Ryan as a long-term starter. I'm hopeful that either Barrington will be healthy or Martinez will surprise. DL could be troublesome. Raji's retirement and Pennel's suspension hurt--even with the addition of Clark. I think CB could end up being a hidden sore spot. I like Shields, but he seems to get nicked up every year. Randall is solid. I'm not expecting a sophomore slump. I'm not quite as impressed with Rollins as others. Hyde is a good backup at both CB and S, but I don't want to see him playing a lot of snaps. Goodson has shown me very little. Gunter might get exposed with more playing time, covering better WRs. I'm intrigued by Robertson Daniel. I really have no issues with the rest of the roster--provided Jared Cook stays healthy and performs like I think he will.

I like the roster. In fact, I think it's one of the more balanced rosters they've had in awhile. I think ILB will end up not being as weak as people think. I like Jake Ryan as a long-term starter. I'm hopeful that either Barrington will be healthy or Martinez will surprise. DL could be troublesome. Raji's retirement and Pennel's suspension hurt--even with the addition of Clark. I think CB could end up being a hidden sore spot. I like Shields, but he seems to get nicked up every year. Randall is solid. I'm not expecting a sophomore slump. I'm not quite as impressed with Rollins as others. Hyde is a good backup at both CB and S, but I don't want to see him playing a lot of snaps. Goodson has shown me very little. Gunter might get exposed with more playing time, covering better WRs. I'm intrigued by Robertson Daniel. I really have no issues with the rest of the roster--provided Jared Cook stays healthy and performs like I think he will.
    I agree about the roster in general. They should have depth at every position, even the weaker ones of DL and ILB. While they may not have top end talent, injuries won't change things much and their backups won't be awful.

I'm not convinced Goodsen will make the roster after his suspension is up. Robertson Daniel could be this year's surprise. If Shields, Randall, Rollins, Daniel, Hyde and Gunter are all healthy, they might not have room for Goodsen, whose real value last year was ST only. If someone else steps up during Goodsen's four-week suspension, they might not need him. If the temporary practice squad modifications for 2014 & 2015 have been extended to 2016, Goodsen would be practice squad eligible, I think. If they haven't been, or aren't before the season, I don't think he is PS eligible.

Alright you bunch of nimrods... been too busy to rain on your parade, but here's the skinny.

How can anyone say we have the 2nd best roster when we finished 2nd in the division, were a hail mary away from being 9-7, 23rd in total offense, 26th in passing offense, 15th in total defense, and 21st in rushing defense?? And it's not like our 26th ranked passing attack was bolstered by the #1 rushing offense, we finished 12th in rushing. Amazingly, we finished 6th in passing defense.

We lost 1 of our studs - Jordy Nelson, and that is grounds for the entire team to falter?? Carolina lost their best WR (Benjamin) and went to SB, not to mention the fact that they whooped us pretty good (27-7 at the half) until they took their foot off the throttle and made the game closer than it really was.

Everyone says we have the #1 player, at the most important position, QB - if we had the 2nd best roster overall, that should add up to at least a SB appearance, no?? We didn't even win the division!!! Minnesota comes to Lambeau and stomps on our throats?? What's wrong with that picture??

You guys are drinking the green and gold kool-aid again.

We have an easy schedule - actually the easiest schedule in the league - so that will help our record some, but when we come up against the big boys, they know how to exploit our flaws. They're not going to be scared off by some pundits preseason take on best roster.
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    Alright you bunch of nimrods... been too busy to rain on your parade, but here's the skinny.

How can anyone say we have the 2nd best roster when we finished 2nd in the division, were a hail mary away from being 9-7, 23rd in total offense, 26th in passing offense, 15th in total defense, and 21st in rushing defense?? And it's not like our 26th ranked passing attack was bolstered by the #1 rushing offense, we finished 12th in rushing. Amazingly, we finished 6th in passing defense.

We lost 1 of our studs - Jordy Nelson, and that is grounds for the entire team to falter?? Carolina lost their best WR (Benjamin) and went to SB, not to mention the fact that they whooped us pretty good (27-7 at the half) until they took their foot off the throttle and made the game closer than it really was.

Everyone says we have the #1 player, at the most important position, QB - if we had the 2nd best roster overall, that should add up to at least a SB appearance, no?? We didn't even win the division!!! Minnesota comes to Lambeau and stomps on our throats?? What's wrong with that picture??

You guys are drinking the green and gold kool-aid again.

We have an easy schedule - actually the easiest schedule in the league - so that will help our record some, but when we come up against the big boys, they know how to exploit our flaws. They're not going to be scared off by some pundits preseason take on best roster.
    Well, you dolt (isn't it fun calling people names?) last season's results mean very little, not just for the Packers but for the NFL in general Stuff happens. No need to rehash all the WR and OL injuries in addition to Nelson, or Lacy's situation. You know all of that, but it doesn't support your troll-like objective in making this post.

Do you think the PFF people weren't aware of what happened last year? Do you think they have a Packer bias? I give much more credibility to their analysis than yours, since you are one of the least objective posters on here, in my opinion.

Strength of schedule for next year? Also very irrelevant in the off-season. Weak teams become strong teams and strong teams become weak teams, and when you play a team might be more important than who you play, both for yourself and the opponent.