Page 31 of 45 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31 32 33 41 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2018 nfl draft thread

Is this really the Guy you want behind Center?

C R U N C H !
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post

Is this really the Guy you want behind Center?

C R U N C H !
    http://www.nfl.com/videos/move-the-s...Josh-Rosen-360

Reports are indicating that QB Prospect Josh Rosen is now falling on Draft Boards.
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

How's this for a 3 round mock...

Rd 1) Ward
    Rd 2) Chark
    Rd 3) Turay

I hate that...

If Edmunds is gone, I want this I think - CB, Oliver (after a trade down with the PATS to 23)/WR, Chark & Edge, Key (with the extra 2nd for the trade down, who I think will be the best edge rusher in this class)/T, Oneil

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    If the Packers went and drafted Isaiah Oliver with the 14th pick I would be ok with it. I know the guy is listed as a late first or second round guy, but I think he is talented enough to plug and play.
    I'm with you. Oliver is probably my #2 CB behind Ward. The rankings would say it's a reach, but I think he'll go higher than most expect. There were a few CBs that stood out to me. A few of them were nickel CBs who were too short for Thompson. We'll see what Gute's requirements are. Ward is the clear #1 for me, but Oliver stood out. I also like the Wisconsin kid, Nick Nelson. Michael Joseph and Brandon Facyson are later round picks that I like.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

I like Oliver too... Okoronkwo seems to be dropping, would okay with him too.

Don't like any Wr's in the 1st.

So far I'd be okay with Ward, Fitz, James, Oliver, Landry, Okoronkwo, Smith (like him as a player, but think he offers least bang for the buck based on his position), DJ Moore
    wist

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    I like Oliver too... Okoronkwo seems to be dropping, would okay with him too.

Don't like any Wr's in the 1st.

So far I'd be okay with Ward, Fitz, James, Oliver, Landry, Okoronkwo, Smith (like him as a player, but think he offers least bang for the buck based on his position), DJ Moore

I think you are crazy for not adding Edmunds to the list.

I think if they were within reach I'd trade up for Edmunds, Smith, or Ward
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post

If Ward or Edmunds fell to #10 or #11, I'd look to trade up, but I don't think they'll get past #8. I wouldn't trade up for Smith.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

I was assuming he'd be long gone... I like Moore if we trade back.

Smith would necessarily replace Ryan in the middle... won't offer pass rush or versatility. Love him as a player, but don't think he does enough to make us better at more than 1 spot.

Suppose you draft Landry or Edmunds. You improve 2 spots, rush end, and the middle b/c you can move Matthews there in a 4-2 alignment.
    Last edited by wist43; 04-18-2018 at 03:12 AM.
    wist

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    Please stop talking about moving Matthews to the middle. If that is the case cut him because he makes too much money for what he will offer the Packers.

Smith will be able to cover, which the Packers haven't had a linebacker capable of covering anyone in a decade. He will offer pass rush from all over the field, no he would play OLB for the packers but he can line up in the slot and blitz off the edge, he can blitz from the middle.

IF IF IF..... its the draft and all but he will make the defense much better from day one.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...cker-position/

2018 NFL Draft: This class will provide wave of the future at the linebacker position

Tremaine Edmunds and Leighton Vander Esch don't look or play like other top linebacker prospects

Chris Trapasso mugshot by Chris Trapasso @ChrisTrapasso

CBSSports.com Feb 14, 2018 • 5 min read

" ... Roquan Smith is the consensus top linebacker in the 2018 NFL Draft class. But will he be the first linebacker taken? Will he have the best career of his contemporaries?

Now, playing in the 220-230 pound range is the new norm. Coverage ability has never been more vital at LBer and prospects lacking sideline-to-sideline speed typically fall to the middle or late rounds of the draft. The smaller but quicker speedsters go early.

Alabama's Rashaan Evans is an old-school linebacker with some new-age flair. He's not a plodder by any stretch but is likely to measure in around 6-foot-2 and 235-240 pounds. His film is loaded with devastating hits between the tackles, textbook block-shedding, and quick run-play recognition.

Roquan Smith is a supercharged version of Rashaan Evans, with more explosive athleticism and the comparable ability to avoid blocks and beat blocks to excel against the run. He's also a fluid mover in coverage, which is vital. He had 137 tackles, 14 tackles for loss and two pass breakups in his final year at Georgia. To me -- and many others -- Smith's the owner of finest linebacker film in the class. The Butkus Award winner is fast to sink into his zone and can run with backs down the field.

Virginia Tech's Tremaine Edmunds and Boise State's Leighton Vander Esch represent the next wave, the latest "creation" at the linebacker spot at the professional level.

Both are around 6-4 and 250 pounds and move like they're at least two inches shorter and 20 pounds lighter. Their strides are almost unfathomably long, which leads to tremendous range toward the perimeter and when running in coverage.

While neither possess the refined block-shedding ability or lightning-fast play diagnosing skills of Smith or Evans, in college, it didn't matter. They devoured ball-carriers and held up in coverage simply because of their outrageous athletic gifts at their mammoth size. At times in the NFL, their lack of polish will likely hurt them. However, how often will that be with the league appearing more and more like a 7-on-7 passing camp each season? .."

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I want to be baffled by two players I had not even heard of in the first three rounds. I don't even want to recognize the school.

Unless its the Colorado School of Mines.

Then watch the board self-immolate.

Harvey have one kid on his spreadsheet as ridiculously athletic.

SPARQ have the other kid in Top 3 at position.

Watch reports trickle out that teams actually rated these guys higher (Belichick comment, picture of Jerry Jones draft board, Shefter Tweet, King MMQB tidbit).

Two players develop into Pro Bowlers in three years time.
    Those days are gone my friend. We will see how much of Ted is in Guts.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I want to be baffled by two players I had not even heard of in the first three rounds. I don't even want to recognize the school.

Unless its the Colorado School of Mines.

Then watch the board self-immolate.

Harvey have one kid on his spreadsheet as ridiculously athletic.

SPARQ have the other kid in Top 3 at position.

Watch reports trickle out that teams actually rated these guys higher (Belichick comment, picture of Jerry Jones draft board, Shefter Tweet, King MMQB tidbit).

Two players develop into Pro Bowlers in three years time.
    I thought I saw TT having a beer at the Golden City Brewery.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Daniel Jeremiah's TOP 50 has:

RANK NO.3 - [B]Tremaine Edmunds, OLB, Virginia Tech - 6' 4" and 253 lbs

" ...Edmunds has a unique blend of size, length and athleticism. He primarily lines up off the line of scrimmage, but does get some work rushing off the edge. Against the run, he is quick to key, fill and finish as a tackler.

He has rare lateral range and collects tackles from sideline to sideline. The former Hokie flashes the ability to shoot his hands and play off blocks, but this is one area where he can improve.

Against the pass, he easily mirrors running backs and tight ends; there are even examples of him matching up and redirecting vs. slot receivers.

He offers tremendous upside as an edge rusher, where he can dip/rip and bend around the edge. Overall, Edmunds has All-Pro ability. His upside is outrageous. ..."

Comment woodbuck27:

I have him at least, as 'a long shot' possibility to be available at Pick NO. 14.

I'd give better odds of Safety's Minkah Fitzpatrick - Alabama and Derwin James - Florida State being available at NO. 14.

If the Packers don't trade down or use their NO. 14 Pick:

It looks like a solid bet that they choose their favourite CB.
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 04-18-2018 at 05:11 PM.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...oking-to-trade

2018 NFL Draft: Josh Rosen could slide; Colts looking to trade

By Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks NFL.com

Published: April 16, 2018 at 12:27 p.m. Updated: April 16, 2018 at 02:59 p.m.

Comment woodbuck27:

Some interesting commentary here and also, the Cowboys options to replace Dez Bryant at WR. Why?

The Packers have a serious need and finding a WR or CB (BPA) at Pick NO. 45 and especially so, if they elect to address Pass Rush at Pick NO. 14 in Round 1.

Today on the NFL Network they actually came up with a scenario where the Packers trade all the way up to Tampa Bay at NO.7 to pick EDGE Marcus Davenport. These Guys enjoy playing around.

I highlight the best possible picks as I'm seeing it today and the Packers options and WR at Pick NO. 45. You may be 'in love' with others.

Route runners

Calvin Ridley, Alabama
    Christian Kirk, Texas A&M

DaeSean Hamilton, Penn State
    Deontay Burnett, USC
    Jordan Lasley, UCLA

Big receivers/red-zone threats

Courtland Sutton, SMU
    Equanimeous St. Brown, Notre Dame
    Auden Tate, Florida State
    Allen Lazard, Iowa State
    Marcell Ateman, Oklahoma State

Chain movers

D.J. Moore, Maryland
    Michael Gallup, Colorado State
    Dante Pettis, Washington
    Cedrick Wilson, Boise State
    Tre'Quan Smith, UCF

Big-play threats

James Washington, Oklahoma State
    Deon Cain, Clemson
    D.J. Chark, LSU

Antonio Callaway, Florida
    Anthony Miller, Memphis

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    Please stop talking about moving Matthews to the middle. If that is the case cut him because he makes too much money for what he will offer the Packers.

Smith will be able to cover, which the Packers haven't had a linebacker capable of covering anyone in a decade. He will offer pass rush from all over the field, no he would play OLB for the packers but he can line up in the slot and blitz off the edge, he can blitz from the middle.

IF IF IF..... its the draft and all but he will make the defense much better from day one.
    I don't want to move Matthews to the middle as in make him an ILB.

But assuming Pettine runs a 4-2 nickel base as his primary "sub"-package... in the middle with Martinez is where Matthews belongs. Just b/c he's initially lined up in the middle, doesn't mean you can't move him around and blitz him from just about anywhere.

You're not goi my to have him put his hand in the dirt.

This alignment is why an edge rusher like Landry makes sense.

If Pettine goes with a 3-3, then you can move guys all over the place.
    wist

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...-firstrounders

Isaiah Oliver, CB, Colorado

He probably has gotten the least attention among the clump of borderline late-first/early-second round cornerbacks behind top prospect Denzel Ward. Oliver isn't a particularly "sudden" athlete, but the former high school track star's length and long speed (4.50-second 40-dash dash) are intriguing to press-man teams.

"He's tall (6-1) and he's got long arms (33 1/2 inches), he's got good range," one scout said. "He kind of plays like Rod Woodson did back in the day, where he's tough and he'll hit. He's a young kid. He's only 21. He's got a bunch of opportunity to grow and get better, too."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    a genius just draft him in the PR draft

Now go make your dam pick to end round one ))
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me if Oliver were a first rounder... the other 3 mentioned in the article would though.
    wist

Blog Entries
    I could see Hurst and Oliver....