Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2023 Bury Joe Barry Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    Ed Donatell went from Denvers secondary coach to a great DC in GB. It's not unusual.
    Ridiculous posts like the above is where I, the official Packerrats Packers historian, need to chime in.

Donatell succeeded Emmitt Thomas, the only 2nd Black DC in Packers history, and DCed the Packers from 2000-2003. While the Packer never missed the playoffs with Donatell DC-ing the D, he is best known for his playoffs infamies, most notably, allowing 45 points to the Greatest Show On Turf (although, in his defense, Bert Favor threw 6 picks in that game), allowing Mike Vick to slaughter the Pack defense as if it was a bunch of useless dogs, and 4th and 26.

Great my ass.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

I remember when a LOT of people in here (definitely not me) wanted Kevin Greene for DC. He was a rah rah guy, seemingly intense and good at firing up D players. I saw him as not very cerebral at all. That intensity may be important for position coaches, but the DC needs to be able to think - strategize, teach developing players, etc. Ideally we get somebody who is both. Barry seems to be neither.

I advocated Al Harris because of the apparent way he developed DBs and schemed their use in Dallas. It's a good point, though, that Joe Whitt is available. He of course, also has a Green Bay background, and who knows, maybe he, not Harris is primarily responsible for success of the DBs since McCarthy took over the Cowboys.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Gotta agree with APB. Donatell was doo doo.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Ed was better than Barry, but he wasn’t great.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Quote Originally Posted by King Friday View Post
    Ed was better than Barry, but he wasn’t great.
    But who is worse, Barry or Slowik?

Quote Originally Posted by George Cumby View Post
    Barry. He has better players. Slowik was also horrific in the performance category, but he didn’t have 8 first round picks playing for him.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Quote Originally Posted by King Friday View Post
    Barry. He has better players. Slowik was also horrific in the performance category, but he didn’t have 8 first round picks playing for him.
    I contend there's enough talent at every level of defense to be Top 10, if not higher. That's why the results are so horrifyingly perplexing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by George Cumby View Post
    and don't forget about Bob Sanders
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...c6a2b27e&ei=14

A decent read. The world sees the problem.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...c6a2b27e&ei=14

A decent read. The world sees the problem.
    I was saying that this offseason when he decided to keep him

Lefleurs job absolutely should be on the line for hiring the reject in the first place and then keeping him for this season

We should be on year one of a new d-cord during this rebuilding year

Instead, best case scenario, the offense is ready to go full speed next season, but the defense is learning a new system

Well, its Christmas morning and my wish list didn't get filled unless I missed the headline where Barry got canned.

Chris Hewitt, the Ravens Secondary/Passing Game Coordinator could be a DC candidate.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Todd Rundgren once had an album called Something/Anything.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Todd Rundgren once had an album called Something/Anything.
    Don't forget "Barely Human".......seems like there's a play on words there........ "Barry Human" or something.

How bad is Joe Barry's defense? Jordan Love has 13 TD passes and 1 INT in last 6 games and Packers are an underdog to a team on their 4th starting QB.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Damn that is bad. Even worse it’s probably correct after the panthers clawed thru the D.

That defense is a shitshow. It's beyond not playing well - now Jaire is kinda sorta throwing Barely under the bus while pretending not to, Devondre Campbell - previously seen as a good leader and good guy - has now blown up. That awesome "let it all out" defensive meeting The Flower talked about from before the Panthers game clearly didn't change the results the defense produces.

No, I'm pretty damn sure Joe Barely is gone after the season ends.

KYPack

That defense is a shitshow. It's beyond not playing well - now Jaire is kinda sorta throwing Barely under the bus while pretending not to, Devondre Campbell - previously seen as a good leader and good guy - has now blown up. That awesome "let it all out" defensive meeting The Flower talked about from before the Panthers game clearly didn't change the results the defense produces.

No, I'm pretty damn sure Joe Barely is gone after the season ends.
    I rewatched the game. On the first series we got 2 three and outs (because of a ST penalty). We had 3 down linemen. We rushed 5 and even 6 on passing downs. THE MEETING WAS WORKING!!

Then we went right back to what we had been doing previous weeks. I just think he is too old to change.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    I rewatched the game. On the first series we got 2 three and outs (because of a ST penalty). We had 3 down linemen. We rushed 5 and even 6 on passing downs. THE MEETING WAS WORKING!!

Then we went right back to what we had been doing previous weeks. I just think he is too old to change.
    Hmmm. Saw a headline saying the blitzing didn’t work. But frankly I believe you over a “content creator” trying to get clicks.

KYPack

Hmmm. Saw a headline saying the blitzing didn’t work. But frankly I believe you over a “content creator” trying to get clicks.
    I mean...he was sacked on a 5 man blitz and then forced to throw too fast and missed Thielen wide open on a 6 man to start the game. The rest of the first half I never saw more than 4 going after him. Maybe it failed in the 2nd half that I didn't watch yet.

Another note....DeGuerra threw some pretty nice blocks in the first half. He was central to the Jones outburst early.