Page 38 of 40 FirstFirst ... 28 36 37 38 39 40 LastLast

Thread: Official 2024 NFL Draft Thread

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    In 2016, Platte said that Size (height and weight) made up 20% of the score. Bench is another 10% of score.
    https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2016/...-why-they-work

I think it's fair to look at size outliers and be wary.
    Even with his size, bench and explosion numbers IDK how AJ Dillon was a 9.15 RAS. His 10 yard and agility numbers were not great. It's certainly possible there's some adjustments being made for size to those (41" vert is impressive no matter what, but especially at his weight) and it does feel a little distorted.

GB doesn't use RAS, but they have some similar measurement they use - I suspect it is tailored by position and puts higher importance on agility and explosion measurements.

All of that aside, I'll be captain obvious and say you have to go off film. Game tape and GPS tracking data from games (and practice) can reveal a lot about a player. Training for weeks to master combine drills can mask things tape can't. Tape tells you if you're a good player, drills tell if you're a good athlete. I also like the adage that you don't double-count combine drill performance in your grading - it should be evident on tape already. If it's not, go back and rewatch, and question why there's a difference.
    My wife also put great emphasis on agility and explosion.

That's why she chose me.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    In 2016, Platte said that Size (height and weight) made up 20% of the score. Bench is another 10% of score.
    https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2016/...-why-they-work

I think it's fair to look at size outliers and be wary.
    Even with his size, bench and explosion numbers IDK how AJ Dillon was a 9.15 RAS. His 10 yard and agility numbers were not great. It's certainly possible there's some adjustments being made for size to those (41" vert is impressive no matter what, but especially at his weight) and it does feel a little distorted.

GB doesn't use RAS, but they have some similar measurement they use - I suspect it is tailored by position and puts higher importance on agility and explosion measurements.

All of that aside, I'll be captain obvious and say you have to go off film. Game tape and GPS tracking data from games (and practice) can reveal a lot about a player. Training for weeks to master combine drills can mask things tape can't. Tape tells you if you're a good player, drills tell if you're a good athlete. I also like the adage that you don't double-count combine drill performance in your grading - it should be evident on tape already. If it's not, go back and rewatch, and question why there's a difference.
    Different scores matter more for different positions. 3 cone is important for WR but not so much for a LB. 10 yard means a lot more for a RB than the raw 40.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    My wife also put great emphasis on agility and explosion.

That's why she chose me.
    My wife said its all about the girth. I put on 40 pounds and she had to tell me that wasn't what she meant. I feel shame.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/202...ial-at-center/

"I was told by a couple of people within the organization, they think Zach Tom is a Pro Bowl right tackle, an All-Pro guard and a potential Hall of Fame center,” Demovsky said.

Sounds like me. I'm the insider. Now draft the tackle at 25.

Tom at RT is also currently the best lineman on the team, so we'd need a pretty damn compelling reason to move him.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    https://packerswire.usatoday.com/202...ial-at-center/

"I was told by a couple of people within the organization, they think Zach Tom is a Pro Bowl right tackle, an All-Pro guard and a potential Hall of Fame center,” Demovsky said.

Sounds like me. I'm the insider. Now draft the tackle at 25.

Didn't they say the same thing about Elgton Jenkins three years ago? He had played LT, LG, C and RT. Could be Pro-Bowl caliber anywhere, including LT, possibly All-Pro inside; but his best position would be Center.

I doubt they will weaken RT to improve at center. Tom's "HoF" career at center probably depends on the Packers drafting at least a Tauscher-level right tackle.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Didn't they say the same thing about Elgton Jenkins three years ago? He had played LT, LG, C and RT. Could be Pro-Bowl caliber anywhere, including LT, possibly All-Pro inside; but his best position would be Center.

I doubt they will weaken RT to improve at center. Tom's "HoF" career at center probably depends on the Packers drafting at least a Tauscher-level right tackle.
    It would take one hell of a player to replace Tom in his rookie year, so if they do plan to slide him inside, they're probably thinking 2025. Chances of replacing Tom this year at #25 are pretty remote. Every year he stays at RT, the better he's likely to get at it, and by 2025 he may be too good at tackle to risk replacing with a rookie or rotational player.

And by 2025, there may be other players on the roster who are ready to replace Myers. Tom wouldn't be the first offensive lineman to have a terrific career playing a position of need, even though he was more naturally suited for a diffferent spot on the line.

If I had to guess, I'd say that if they stand pat at #25, there's better than a 50-50 chance they'll go O-line. The value at offensive line in general (and especially tackle) is just too high this year, because the position is so heavily over-represented in this draft.

In 2020, the first round saw 5 tackles and 6 OL total. In 21, 4 tackles and 5 offensive linemen overall. 2022 - 5 OT out of 8 linemen total. In 2023, 5 offensive linemen, all tackles.

Last 5 years, anywhere from 5-8 offensive lineman going in Round 1 - 4 or 5 drafted as tackles each year.

This year, most projections see anywhere from 7-8 to as many as 10 offensive linemen likely going 1st round, almost all of them tackles (or at least, drafted as tackles).

It's really rare that any position group has such an abundance of talent clustered in the first couple dozen picks of the draft, and for a team that is drafting in the bottom of the round (and expecting to keep drafting in the bottom 15% or so for years to come), it's a rare opportunity to get a player at a crucial position who would probably go in the top half of the draft most seasons. At #25, we could quite possibly get a player who would have been gone by #12 or 15 in almost any other draft.

This is a luxury that most teams can not afford - the ability to prioritize hunting for bargains to bolster your roster, instead of filling immediate holes.... but a well-balanced team can. And the last couple of Gutenkunst's drafts have put us in a position where we can afford to manage our drafts that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post

They said similar things about Jenkins in so far as he could play anywhere, but Jenkins is much larger than Tom and I don't think he is "better" inside than out. He is good all the way across. Tom is built and moves more like a guard/center than a tackle. Jenkins did play LT successfully before his injury, and then wasn't quite up to playing RT so soon after it. Personally I think Tom is a really good tackle, but as I've said, he could be a top 3 guard in the entire league and he isn't even close to that as a tackle.

I listened to a speculative podcast the other day about the Packers trading up. If they did, the after was of the opinion that the most likely position in which to do so was corner, and he focused on Arnold and Mitchell. Imagines one might still be there at 16.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Peter Bukowski
    @Peter_Bukowski

In today’s
    @TheLeapGB
    we put together a roadmap for the Packers draft. Who are their types? Where are they projected? What does history tell us about where certain positions are best drafted? A clear path emerges.

https://www.theleap.football/p/putti...ft-roadmap-for

Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

wow, they don't even think the guy the bears are gonna take at #1 is draftable

Thats kinda funny. Must have been an oversight...or assuming the bears will ruin him before camp starts.

I've come full circle on DeJean. If you look at him as a slot safety he's everything they wanted Savage to be. I have seen a lot of trade up scenarios and Gutes probably will after the run last year. Every GM and fan thinks they are one player away. Best move is stay put, take the BPA and move forward.

I’ve come around to being on board with an offensive tackle in the first round for a couple of reasons.

Tom would very likely be an elite guard. If we somehow landed an elite tackle, our offensive line is much improved for two years.

The other reason is that I think Walker is criminally underrated by Packer fans. He very well could and probably will command a larger contract than Zach Tom. We really aren’t going to be able to pay both in two years so having 3 additional rookie contract years on an upper tier starting tackle will be huge a couple years from now on top of improving the line immediately.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    I’ve come around to being on board with an offensive tackle in the first round for a couple of reasons.

Tom would very likely be an elite guard. If we somehow landed an elite tackle, our offensive line is much improved for two years.

The other reason is that I think Walker is criminally underrated by Packer fans. He very well could and probably will command a larger contract than Zach Tom. We really aren’t going to be able to pay both in two years so having 3 additional rookie contract years on an upper tier starting tackle will be huge a couple years from now on top of improving the line immediately.
    They have never shied away from paying good players on the OL. It's hard to pay them all at the same time, though, but they paid good money for Sitton and Lang, Linsley, Bulaga, etc. My guess is they would pay their tackles and and one interior OL. You obviously can't pay them all top dollar.

Offensive line, corner, safety (if they have one rated that high; I suppose that's DeJean), edge, linebacker (if they have one rated that high) - I could see any of these in the first round.

Picking a running back in the first round would be a head-scratcher just because none seem that highly rated.

Picking a wide receiver or a tight end in the first round would be a real head-scratcher, though you'd have to think "Geez, they must really, really like this guy."

Picking one of the Nix boys (Michael Pe or Bo Peep) would be a real head-scratcher, too. It's not a draft-and-trade scenario when you're drafting one in the first round, so that'd be just weird.

Picking a nose-tackle type would signal to me that they're not going to extend Kenny Clark. Or maybe they think they can do way better than TJ Slaton. But it'd be a weird pick.

Seems like the closest match between need and BPA would be offensive line.

KYPack

Over/under on where some guys will be picked. Barton could be our guy!

Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

It is never wrong to take an OL you like at the spot you are in; unless it is the later rounds and you have already drafted 2 or 3 in earlier rounds. Even then, a high risk/high reward guy might be worth it; or if the returning roster is very short of players you want to keep.

You need five OL just to play, usually at least 7 to get through the season. Generally, the starters play every snap on offense, unless injured or being challenged for the position.

Someone is always worthy of being replaced due to injury, age or performance.

About 15% of your 53 man roster is committed to OL; 22+% of your starters.

I always welcome another OL pick.

I don't know if they will take an OL in R1, but it will not shock me if they do. Either way, I think they will spend at least 2 if not 3 picks on OL with the 11 picks they have, and the OL depth they don't.

CB is the only other area I could see, I'm struggling to picture a S or LB they like enough to take Day 1. I don't think they need to trade up, and it's unlikely there will be a pass rusher they want at 25.

I definitely don't have a high opinion of Caleb Williams, and I hope the Bears take him after stupidly getting rid of Fields. It's kinda strange, though, that Williams doesn't even show up on those lists.

I absolutely do NOT want the Packers to take an O Lineman in the first or probably even second round.

Chop Robinson or KoolAid McKinstry or maybe DeJean would be ok there.

I definitely want a RB - Braelon Allen by far my first choice in the 2nd or 3rd. I also want a ILB about 2nd, 3rd, or 4th - maybe take a chance on Payton Wilson, as our need isn't that extreme in case he is a failure. And since we haven't signed a second FA safety, get one or two of those between the 3rd and 6th.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Doesn't matter to me if they take an OL in R1 or not. It's more important that they bring in competition and depth. Even if Sean Rhyan takes the next step and is an average NFL starting RG, they are one injury away from playing Royce Newman.

Go back and watch how the OL blocked in the LV game. They had some bad early season performances, including when Dillon basically ran into the back of Jenkins and got him hurt. They can and should absolutely get better with drafting and coaching.

I think it's highly likely they do spend a R1 on OL. It's a virtual lock that they will pick an OL before Round 4, possibly more. 5 top 100 picks in a draft with good OL depth? You know Gute is shopping there. (I think they will take a flier on one or two on Day 3)

If they sign Love to a $50M/year deal and have Josh Jacobs signed to all that money, you darn better invest in an OL to block. Your star QB gets hit and injured, your season is sunk.