Page 36 of 39 FirstFirst ... 26 34 35 36 37 38 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2024 NFL Draft Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Gotta think that DeJean goes before 25 with the tape and the excellent pro day showing. Maybe we trade up, but probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    Gotta think that DeJean goes before 25 with the tape and the excellent pro day showing. Maybe we trade up, but probably not.
    Unlike the 8 times in 7 years, you can't explain how 30 guys will be off the board before we pick at 25. Maybe Cooper goes, but there will be some help available.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

DeJean's numbers would have been in the middle among CB's at the combine. But the fact he does it at 202 pounds makes his RAS elite. Almost all mocks I've seen has him going 20-25.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

No agility drills The lack of agility drills by players has been pretty frustrating - it's worse each year, and yet very important to measure. At least they do the jumps. Few players run in a straight line for 40 yards.

For some reason I don't think he's the top choice for GB at 25. He's a fine prospect but I feel like there are some who have fixated on him and... I don't get it.
    If you try to turn him into a safety there's no guarantee it will work right away, and as a safety prospect he's considered a better fit in the old Barry scheme.

If he's there and they take him, great. If he's there and they take an EDGE or OT or (gasp) a different CB, I can't wait to see the Packer Internet turn irrational and fiery on Gute.

Gonna need context on a crackpot comment like that.

Trey Taylor S Airforce, anyone like this dude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AuldhoMAGg

Quote Originally Posted by jklowan View Post
    Trey Taylor S Airforce, anyone like this dude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AuldhoMAGg
    Has the size and athleticism the Packers like despite average speed. Probably best suited for box safety. Likely late round pick.

Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

top 30 visits: GB bringing in Kool-Aid and Jermaine Burton , who is a steal if he's there in R3. Very good athlete with production in SEC to back it up.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/lis...ce=parsely-api

packerswire's list is a little different from acmepackingco's. If they did bring in Trevin Wallace that would be an interesting late round ILB.

Omar Brown and Chris Edmonds are sneaky interesting as safety prospects, and Kiran Oladipo would be a large box safety.
    I realize a lot of people like him, but Amarius Mims scares me. A lot of time as a backup or injured for such a highly touted prospect. Clearly a gifted athlete, but seems like dude gets hurt walking onto the field.

My hot take - RAS focused too much on weight. That guy seems like a good agile athlete, but not particularly fast. How are they scoring off the charts in RAS?

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    My hot take - RAS focused too much on weight. That guy seems like a good agile athlete, but not particularly fast. How are they scoring off the charts in RAS?
    So your hot take is size doesn't matter?? Ok, I know you are saying it focuses too much on weight not that it doesn't matter. Personally I think it should focus on body composition. A big fat guy can't gain quality size at all. He can gain athleticism while maintaining size possibly, but he can't gain size for sure. A lean fit guy can gain size without sacrificing athleticism. Its definitely a balance and perhaps RAS does focus on weight too much. RAS is after all like any model...you get out of it what you set the parameters for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    So your hot take is size doesn't matter??
    Interesting......my wife has the exact same hot take.

The thing that makes me not too too concerned about DeJean is that he breaks down and tackles so well. A lot of players with stiff hips, they can't really do that. Would we really cry with a possible Harrison Smith at 25?

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    The thing that makes me not too too concerned about DeJean is that he breaks down and tackles so well. A lot of players with stiff hips, they can't really do that. Would we really cry with a possible Harrison Smith at 25?
    Put another "Harry the Hitman" into the defensive backfield with Xavier McKinney, and I think we'd see a very different defense than we've seen in Green Bay in a hell of a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Tundra View Post
    Put another "Harry the Hitman" into the defensive backfield with Xavier McKinney, and I think we'd see a very different defense than we've seen in Green Bay in a hell of a long time.
    Harry the Hitman?

How about Harry "Son of Chuck" Cecil?

"The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

In 2016, Platte said that Size (height and weight) made up 20% of the score. Bench is another 10% of score.
    https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2016/...-why-they-work

I think it's fair to look at size outliers and be wary.
    Even with his size, bench and explosion numbers IDK how AJ Dillon was a 9.15 RAS. His 10 yard and agility numbers were not great. It's certainly possible there's some adjustments being made for size to those (41" vert is impressive no matter what, but especially at his weight) and it does feel a little distorted.

GB doesn't use RAS, but they have some similar measurement they use - I suspect it is tailored by position and puts higher importance on agility and explosion measurements.

All of that aside, I'll be captain obvious and say you have to go off film. Game tape and GPS tracking data from games (and practice) can reveal a lot about a player. Training for weeks to master combine drills can mask things tape can't. Tape tells you if you're a good player, drills tell if you're a good athlete. I also like the adage that you don't double-count combine drill performance in your grading - it should be evident on tape already. If it's not, go back and rewatch, and question why there's a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    In 2016, Platte said that Size (height and weight) made up 20% of the score. Bench is another 10% of score.

Even with his size, bench and explosion numbers IDK how AJ Dillon was a 9.15 RAS. His 10 yard and agility numbers were not great. It's certainly possible there's some adjustments being made for size to those (41" vert is impressive no matter what, but especially at his weight) and it does feel a little distorted.

GB doesn't use RAS, but they have some similar measurement they use - I suspect it is tailored by position and puts higher importance on agility and explosion measurements.

All of that aside, I'll be captain obvious and say you have to go off film. Game tape and GPS tracking data from games (and practice) can reveal a lot about a player. Training for weeks to master combine drills can mask things tape can't. Tape tells you if you're a good player, drills tell if you're a good athlete. I also like the adage that you don't double-count combine drill performance in your grading - it should be evident on tape already. If it's not, go back and rewatch, and question why there's a difference.
    My wife also put great emphasis on agility and explosion.

That's why she chose me.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    My wife also put great emphasis on agility and explosion.

That's why she chose me.
    My wife said its all about the girth. I put on 40 pounds and she had to tell me that wasn't what she meant. I feel shame.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post

Different scores matter more for different positions. 3 cone is important for WR but not so much for a LB. 10 yard means a lot more for a RB than the raw 40.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/202...ial-at-center/

"I was told by a couple of people within the organization, they think Zach Tom is a Pro Bowl right tackle, an All-Pro guard and a potential Hall of Fame center,” Demovsky said.

Sounds like me. I'm the insider. Now draft the tackle at 25.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    https://packerswire.usatoday.com/202...ial-at-center/

"I was told by a couple of people within the organization, they think Zach Tom is a Pro Bowl right tackle, an All-Pro guard and a potential Hall of Fame center,” Demovsky said.

Sounds like me. I'm the insider. Now draft the tackle at 25.

Didn't they say the same thing about Elgton Jenkins three years ago? He had played LT, LG, C and RT. Could be Pro-Bowl caliber anywhere, including LT, possibly All-Pro inside; but his best position would be Center.

I doubt they will weaken RT to improve at center. Tom's "HoF" career at center probably depends on the Packers drafting at least a Tauscher-level right tackle.