Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Free Agency/Offseason Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Pretty amazing how Packers are approaching free agency. Packers have 5 WR's on their roster. 4 were rookies last year. The other has bounced around on practice squads. But their free agency signings have been to bolster DB/ST. I'm not worried they don't have a plan. Just curious as to what the plan is going to look like. Packers will have less than 10 million in cap space once the Rodgers trade goes through.
    This says a couple of things, maybe. It says we maybe draft a TE and probably a WR too fairly early - many have thought that about TE anyway, and it says that just maybe, they are expecting the Rodgers trade NOT to go through, which would leave that $10 million plus what they wouldn't have to absorb from the trade. I said "maybe" - I honestly don't believe that myself at this point, but it is a glimmer of hope.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Pretty amazing how Packers are approaching free agency. Packers have 5 WR's on their roster. 4 were rookies last year. The other has bounced around on practice squads. But their free agency signings have been to bolster DB/ST. I'm not worried they don't have a plan. Just curious as to what the plan is going to look like. Packers will have less than 10 million in cap space once the Rodgers trade goes through.
    It is a strange plan, whatever it is. Sort or a rebuild by trading Rodgers - they're not 'running it back' again with the same crew, as they were not interested in Cobb or Lewis and were not able to affort Lazard, and apparently didn't want Tonyan back, either.

Yet their cap situation is so messed up they've maxed out every contract they can, with void years on void years. So they're really in a position to have to pay the piper, starting this year, and into the next couple. So it's not the kind of rebuild where a team sucks and cuts people and puts out a semi-pro team so they can A. get the cap situation under control and B. get a high draft pick.

I think any young QB who has never been a starter in the NFL probably needs a year as a starter to really be able to see the whole field and understand in an instant what he sees. I think the seasoning helped Love, but I do think he'll be learning a lot now. Now, next year, he ought to be good, if he is going to be good.

There is also a weird dearth of defensive linemen at this point. So they either have to pick over the scraps or draft two defensive linemen to fill out the roster. Or both.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    It is a strange plan, whatever it is. Sort or a rebuild by trading Rodgers - they're not 'running it back' again with the same crew, as they were not interested in Cobb or Lewis and were not able to affort Lazard, and apparently didn't want Tonyan back, either.

Yet their cap situation is so messed up they've maxed out every contract they can, with void years on void years. So they're really in a position to have to pay the piper, starting this year, and into the next couple. So it's not the kind of rebuild where a team sucks and cuts people and puts out a semi-pro team so they can A. get the cap situation under control and B. get a high draft pick.

I think any young QB who has never been a starter in the NFL probably needs a year as a starter to really be able to see the whole field and understand in an instant what he sees. I think the seasoning helped Love, but I do think he'll be learning a lot now. Now, next year, he ought to be good, if he is going to be good.

There is also a weird dearth of defensive linemen at this point. So they either have to pick over the scraps or draft two defensive linemen to fill out the roster. Or both.
    (Going on the assumption the Rodgers trade goes thru, which it 99% will.)
    Jordan Love will certainly go thru his ups and downs next year. AR went 6-10 his first year, I think Jordan Love can do that if not better. 10-7 and a WC spot would be pretty good for first year starter. Once teams get more film on him they will try to make him uncomfortable and he'll have to adjust to that. They'll 5th year option him and unless he stinks on ice he'll be the QB next year. Even a mid-level starting QB making $20M is apparently a good deal these days. Next season I'll be looking for growth and improvement, and then consistency. If he can do all that, he'll be fine. Maybe not HOF good like Favre/Rodgers, but plenty of mediocre QBs have gotten pretty far into the playoffs and a few have won a SB (or in Eli Manning's case, two).

I'm curious at how they are filling out the roster and working thru FA; it's hard to tell how things will shake out until AR is dealt. Do they get any players back from the NYJ in the trade? They will want a veteran WR in the room for the young guys. I also think they will draft a WR, but I don't think it will be before R3.
    I do think they'll pick a TE before the end of Day2 and that will be to improve the passing game. That they signed a couple safeties and brought back Tyler Davis probably means they are nibbling around the edges and building some depth, and also tells me they think the FA safeties might be better than most of the safeties in the draft. I still think they'll pick a safety in the draft, but maybe now just one instead of two.
    DL might end up being their R1 pick if Breese is there.

As far as I can tell they need 2 more players each at TE, WR, and DL. To fill some of these spots they'll see if anyone gets cut or wait until wave 3 of FA to pick up someone halfway competent on the cheap.
    They don't have much cap space after the AR trade, but next year they will be in better shape to absorb some of this cap mess. Next off season they should try to get out from any remaining bad contracts and void years to free up the cap space tied up by them.

Dean Lowry signed by Vikings.
    Addition by subtraction.

Lions signed Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, Cameron Sutton, and Emmanuel Mosley. Their secondary gets a big makeover. Oh, and they have something like 5 picks inside the top 100 in the draft.
    Lots of people have them favored to win the NFCN.

Quote Originally Posted by Teamcheez1 View Post
    Dean Lowry signed by Vikings.
    Addition by subtraction.
    Mostly agree. I didn't think he was very good against the run - got moved out of his gap too often. Didn't play as well as the year before either.
    Lowry was probably a nice depth piece forced into a starting role. All in all, not a bad draft pick (he got a 2nd contract with GB) but not someone I'd go out of my way to sign to a THIRD contract. Good for him for getting paid and having a pretty long NFL career for a Day 3 pick. I'm not sad that GB didn't drop 4M a year on him though.

GB will need to find players who can take up all of Lowry/Reed's snaps. Wyatt and Slaton can certainly do that, but they need at least one more GOOD DL in case of injury, etc. I have no faith the highlight-less Johnathon Ford or journeyman Chris Slayton will make a jump. The departed Jack Heflin was probably better than either.

What a weird year. The Loins will be favored to win the division for the first time since probably Wayne Fontes was the coach back in the 90's. Crazy world.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Media pukes reporting that Aaron Jones, Christian Watson, and Romeo Doubs are traveling to California to train with Jordan Love.
    Imagine: a QB who wants to build chemistry with other skill players before camp!

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    What a weird year. The Loins will be favored to win the division for the first time since probably Wayne Fontes was the coach back in the 90's. Crazy world.
    They have a really good OL, and some young cheap talent with Jameson Williams and Amon St. Brown. I think they'll miss Jamaal Williams, but DeAndre Swift isn't a bad player and David Montgomery is fine.
    Their defense was abysmal to start but improved over the season to at least mediocre.

Weird thing is what is their long term plan at QB? Goff? The Tim Boyle Laser Show? They haven't been known for fine QB play or for developing a good one, but he has two years left on his deal.

I wonder if they will fall a bit back to Earth because of tougher schedule, high expectations, nobody overlooking them, etc. but the NFC more or less stinks -- Philly, SF, Dallas, and Detroit are probably the top 4 at this point, for what little that's worth.

I do think trading Stafford for picks and taking Goff's contract and getting good production from him was a smart and very gutsy move. Will be interesting to see what else Brad Holmes has up his sleeve.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    They have a really good OL, and some young cheap talent with Jameson Williams and Amon St. Brown. I think they'll miss Jamaal Williams, but DeAndre Swift isn't a bad player and David Montgomery is fine.
    Their defense was abysmal to start but improved over the season to at least mediocre.

Weird thing is what is their long term plan at QB? Goff? The Tim Boyle Laser Show? They haven't been known for fine QB play or for developing a good one, but he has two years left on his deal.

I wonder if they will fall a bit back to Earth because of tougher schedule, high expectations, nobody overlooking them, etc. but the NFC more or less stinks -- Philly, SF, Dallas, and Detroit are probably the top 4 at this point, for what little that's worth.

I do think trading Stafford for picks and taking Goff's contract and getting good production from him was a smart and very gutsy move. Will be interesting to see what else Brad Holmes has up his sleeve.
    This is what's concerning. You could always count on the Loins to have a GM who didn't know jack about GM-ing. That goes all the way back to Russ Thomas, who was the GM in the 60's into the 80's or so, and was purportedly Bill Ford Sr.'s bag man, keeping Ford under wraps as he drank and drank his way through his often-sad life. He was intensely personally loyal to Bill Ford and the Ford family, so Russ's GM-ing skills were not as important to the family as they might be to a different kind of owner.

So it went, except for the blip of the 90's when I think Chuck Schmidt was GM. But even that fell apart.

But now this Brad Holmes guy actually seems to know what he's doing. Damn.

KYPack

Ari Meirov
    @MySportsUpdate

The #Packers are re-signing LB Justin Hollins to a 1-year, $1.2M deal, per source.

Hollins recently took a visit with the Giants and is coming off a 3.5 sack season.
    Hollins provided pretty good pass rush at times last year. Believe he was not so good against the run. He'll be needed though until Gary comes back.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Hollins is a good athlete, showed some of that as well as giving "paycheck chasing" effort. He's not good against the run.
    Still, he's a good pickup for a 4th Edge rusher... he's better than what they've had there with Garvin and Hamilton IMO.

For sure. How many times did we see those guys flailing away ineffectually, like a poster trying to convince Tex of something reasonable and obvious?

KYPack

The Rodgers hating crowd in here wouldn't know "reasonable and obvious" if it bit them in the ass.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news...e08e324e&ei=53

This could go in about 3 places, but this seemed like a reasonable place.

"Safety Adrian Amos is the ultimate case-in-point. Through multiple restructures by the team, which included the insertion of void years to cut down on his annual cap numbers, Amos counts $7.95 million on this year’s salary cap.

Amos, of course, is a free agent who spent his Thursday being wined and dined by his hometown Baltimore Ravens. And yet, he has the seventh-highest cap charge on the team.

To be sure, Amos is the extreme example, but he provides the ultimate argument to the salary-cap-isn’t-real crowd. The salary cap is real, and Amos, defensive tackle Dean Lowry ($3.01 million), defensive tackle Jarran Reed ($1.49 million), receiver Randall Cobb ($1.39 million), tight end Marcedes Lewis ($1.05 million), kicker Mason Crosby ($1.05 million) and tight end Robert Tonyan ($500,000) provide more than $16 million worth of examples. That’s two or three good players the Packers can’t afford."
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Also contained within the article:

-Bakhtiari’s cap charge in 2024 is set to explode to $40.58 million, the most expensive at the position by more than $12 million.

- Clark’s cap charge in 2024 will rise to $27.49 million, second only to future Hall of Famer Aaron Donald.

- Jaire Alexander’s cap charge in 2024 will increase to $24.36 million, fourth-most among corners.

- Running back Aaron Jones’ cap charge in 2024 will rise to $17.17 million, second-most among running backs.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post

-Bakhtiari’s cap charge in 2024 is set to explode to $40.58 million, the most expensive at the position by more than $12 million.

- Clark’s cap charge in 2024 will rise to $27.49 million, second only to future Hall of Famer Aaron Donald.

- Jaire Alexander’s cap charge in 2024 will increase to $24.36 million, fourth-most among corners.

- Running back Aaron Jones’ cap charge in 2024 will rise to $17.17 million, second-most among running backs.
    Sounds like the team will have to be very, very different in 2024.

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news...e08e324e&ei=53

This could go in about 3 places, but this seemed like a reasonable place.

"Safety Adrian Amos is the ultimate case-in-point. Through multiple restructures by the team, which included the insertion of void years to cut down on his annual cap numbers, Amos counts $7.95 million on this year’s salary cap.

Amos, of course, is a free agent who spent his Thursday being wined and dined by his hometown Baltimore Ravens. And yet, he has the seventh-highest cap charge on the team.

To be sure, Amos is the extreme example, but he provides the ultimate argument to the salary-cap-isn’t-real crowd. The salary cap is real, and Amos, defensive tackle Dean Lowry ($3.01 million), defensive tackle Jarran Reed ($1.49 million), receiver Randall Cobb ($1.39 million), tight end Marcedes Lewis ($1.05 million), kicker Mason Crosby ($1.05 million) and tight end Robert Tonyan ($500,000) provide more than $16 million worth of examples. That’s two or three good players the Packers can’t afford."

100% agree with this, and is a reason I don't like void years. Even if a player reaches end of contract and isn't on your team, you're still paying for them.

I think Bakh could be gone next offseason, they'd gain 21.5M in cap savings by cutting him or trading him.

Jaire might see another restructure, which worries me pushing all that out. The other thing that worries me is that most great corners aren't great for long, and he's undersized to boot. He should still be good and if used properly is a shutdown-half-the-field type of player. He could also be used as trade bait, but I think they try to let his contract ride and rework it if his performance slips (it shouldn't until 2025).

Kenny Clark is remarkably young and could actually get an extension to potentially move some money around. Compared to what DaRon Payne and other DL are getting his contract is a lot but not terrible. His cap number might not look as bad in a year, but I agree it's too high. Good in the locker room and in general, and he's been their best DL for the last ? years, playing next to underperforming or bad players.

Aaron Jones... I think they are drafting a RB in the draft, and might be completely rebooting their backfield in 2024. I don't see them extending Jones at age 30, I don't know if they'll keep Dillon either. I have a feeling they were hoping Kylin Hill would push Dillon and maybe even Jones. Jones was without a doubt their most consistent playmaker last year and they need him but you can't pay a 30y/o RB that kind of money when you have cap issues.

Every team has some highly comped players, are these bad contracts? Do you think they are bad players, or badly coached? I'm not sure myself...if I had to guess, I'd lean towards GB handing out too much guaranteed money -- maybe they have to bc it's GB -- and that bites them.

One I forgot to mention - Devondre Campbell. Cutting him or in 2024 would gain you a little cap room (2.7M) so it might not happen, especially if Quay flops, but Campbell had a rough start to last season. Not sure he's worth that contract. This year will be important for him.
    Rasul could also be a target for a cut or redo, depending on this season. He'd save them 6M in 2024 if they cut. I think they keep him though... he's kind of a fun player when he's not messing around with DET FGs.

I've pretty much laid off this topic because if Rodgers is gone, the season and beyond is in the toilet regardless of anything else. Just the same, getting rid of quality players who are not way over the hill is just stupid. That applies to Campbell, obviously Aaron Jones, Clark, Jaire, probably Rasul, and a lot of others. I would extend and do what's needed to keep all of them. This does not apply to Preston Smith, who IMO is pretty far over the hill. And I wouldn't overpay to keep Bakhtiari either - although for those who still do worship that sacred cow, he too could be retain without the horrible cap hit if it was handled right.