Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
Not a lot of openly gay players, but the NHL and hockey generally have made a commitment to acceptance of gay players. Read about Brenden Burke, and the work of NHL executives including his father and brother backing the "You Can Play Project". Many top NHL players have gotten behind the project with videos and such.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...143441932.html

There is a strong effort in the NHL and both USA Hockey and Hockey Canada to change the culture on the ice and in the locker rooms to make it accepting of gay players, much of it being the work of the Burkes.

Interesting to contrast that with the inaction of the NFL, even though Paul Tagliabue has a son who has been openly gay since before his father became Commissioner. While Paul Tagliabue has been very active in gay rights after retiring from the NFL, he didn't push the issue while commissioner, as far as I know.
I don't track outed athletes but they are very few and far between in male team sports be it football, soccer, cricket, hockey, baseball, rugby, or whatever. any progress these institutions make is commendable and over due. I just don't see much happening for several years as these athletes keep quiet for whatever reason be it fear of personal, financial, or institutional backlash.