Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread: official 2014 nfl draft thread

Quote Originally Posted by packrulz View Post
    RA'SHEDE HAGEMAN, DT, Minnesota is possibly still going to be there at 21. Strong as an ox, he can bench press 465 lbs (wow), so he fits the mold of what TT likes in lineman. Could he be our pocket collapser? http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...rbust-prospect
    A number of people are projecting Hageman around the Packers pick.

If he's BPA, go for it, but a safety/linebacker should be the priority.

Quote Originally Posted by Striker View Post
    A number of people are projecting Hageman around the Packers pick.

If he's BPA, go for it, but a safety/linebacker should be the priority.
    With Raji likely gone and Jolly possibly unable to return and Pickett aging, I'd put DT over ILB. Safety is a high priority, unless they can find a Eugene Robinson on the street.

I worry about 'Boom or Bust' DL guys, we've had too many fall in the bust category.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

for me, with the scheme we run, i think its a massive waste to spend high draft picks on d-linemen

look at our high round picks

raji-bust
    neal-bust as a lineman who knows as a LB
    worthy- looking like a possible bust
    datone- not a good first year

now lets look at the guys who have played well

jolly- 6th round
    cj wilson- 7th round
    boyd- much better first year then jones- 5th
    mike daniels-4th

and the only other guy on our line was a free agent signing

see a pattern?

stick to the mid to late round fat ugly guys who didn't get all the glory in college. those are the guys we need

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Is there a point to being that big if you don't have the run defense results to show for it? Because in the end it splits you D line group, diminishes death and reduces the pass rush.
    Anything that diminishes death is probably a good thing. But, big lineman aren't necessarily good, especially if thy are on IR (Jolly), have a bad leg (Pickett), or are generally lazy/miscast (Raji).

Packers probably need to bring in an effective fatty run stopper in FA, and another from the draft. If the current group doesn't contain enough guys to generate pass rush on obvious passing downs, then they are out of luck, because they drafted enough of 'em.

I like the Hageman guy from MN. Guy can get some serious push, even against powerhouses like NDSU.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    for me, with the scheme we run, i think its a massive waste to spend high draft picks on d-linemen

raji-bust

jolly- 6th round
    cj wilson- 7th round
    mike daniels-4th

see a pattern?

stick to the mid to late round fat ugly guys who didn't get all the glory in college. those are the guys we need
    Yup Draft big guy OL ie @ Tackle in early rounds.

Otherwise go skill and Round 1-3 picks.

Dom Capers can ensure that any Big Man fits right in and on rotation in on our 2-4-5 Base Defense.

It's too bad that Dom can't simply march a sack of potatoes out there. Potatoes are still relatively cheap.

Don't get uptight ... It's ALL RIGHT ... Out of sight !?
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

The Senior Bowl is Jan. 25th on NFL network, which I don't get, but I hope some rats who do can check it out. Badger players like Aberderris, Boreland, and White will be there, and other big name players like C. J. Mosley, Ra'Shede Hageman, Jordan Matthews, Terrance Brooks, Aaron Donald, will be playing for scouts. http://www.seniorbowl.com/accepted-i...ence=&s_id=Any
    Thanks Ted!

I saw on ESPN that over 100 underclassmen will end up declaring for the draft, the largest number in years. That, coupled with the regular senior class, leaves a lot of options,

We should be able to draft an impact payer in each of the first three rounds.

raji-bust

jolly- 6th round
    cj wilson- 7th round
    mike daniels-4th

see a pattern?

We haven't seen enough of Worthy to declare him a possible bust just yet. I agree, Datone is like many D linemen and he just might show us why he was a #1 pick in 2014. Lord knows what happened to Raji. I find his plummeting play disturbing and disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    That is one of the interesting questions about Capers D. He goes Super Size on his lineman to stop the run and protect the LBs on early or obvious run downs. Forget McGinn's offseason non-sense, when healthy the packers base D line is one of the biggest in the League. But that has not made the team consistently more effective.

Is there a point to being that big if you don't have the run defense results to show for it? Because in the end it splits you D line group, diminishes death and reduces the pass rush.
    Now that's a typo!

EDIT: Should be depth
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Teamcheez1 View Post
    I saw on ESPN that over 100 underclassmen will end up declaring for the draft, the largest number in years. That, coupled with the regular senior class, leaves a lot of options,

We should be able to draft an impact payer in each of the first three rounds.
    You can really get some lower round gems with so many underclassmen. The risk is higher, but the reward can be even higher, since some of these guys just will not be ready in the fall, but might be outstanding in another year or so. The downside is that too many of these guys have topped out as juniors and will not progress. Finley comes to mind as an example of the former, even though he declared after his sophomore year (redshirt freshman) (and I guess that's no longer allowed, right?)

Will Ted pick a gem? probably
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    You can really get some lower round gems with so many underclassmen. The risk is higher, but the reward can be even higher, since some of these guys just will not be ready in the fall, but might be outstanding in another year or so. The downside is that too many of these guys have topped out as juniors and will not progress. Finley comes to mind as an example of the former, even though he declared after his sophomore year (redshirt freshman) (and I guess that's no longer allowed, right?)

Will Ted pick a gem? probably
    you have to be 3 years removed from high school. so if fin came out after his soph year and he was reshirted, then he would be 3 years out of high schools

manziel is in the exact same position

One guy that I find intriguing is Lamarcus Joyner, S, Florida State, he's small, 5'8", but is a very physical player, which the Packers soft D needs desperately, watch the tape, he hits like a truck: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg1Ug-aoXd4
    He's a good blitzer too: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...ed-versatility
    He's projected to be a 2nd round pick.
    Thanks Ted!

Quote Originally Posted by packrulz View Post
    One guy that I find intriguing is Lamarcus Joyner, S, Florida State, he's small, 5'8", but is a very physical player, which the Packers soft D needs desperately, watch the tape, he hits like a truck: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg1Ug-aoXd4
    He's a good blitzer too: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...ed-versatility
    He's projected to be a 2nd round pick.

he would be eaten alive by chicago and detroits WR's

theres talk that he might have to convert toCB because 5'8 is just too damn small for a safety

calvin pryor out of loisville is intriguing to me, the guy was never asked to cover anyone in college, but othr then that he has all the tools you'd want

he would be eaten alive by chicago and detroits WR's

theres talk that he might have to convert toCB because 5'8 is just too damn small for a safety

calvin pryor out of loisville is intriguing to me, the guy was never asked to cover anyone in college, but othr then that he has all the tools you'd want
    Plus he wouldn't be very useful with covering those big athletic TEs that are becoming more and more common today.

Quote Originally Posted by Striker View Post
    Plus he wouldn't be very useful with covering those big athletic TEs that are becoming more and more common today.
    yeah a 5'8 safety covering a 6'6 TE is a pretty big mismatch

on the other hand, pryor is 6'2ish

TT is at the Shrine game practices scoping out DBs:

Michael Schottey ‏@Schottey 28m
    Ted Thompson is here...alway see him at the Senior Bowl. Don't know if I've ever seen him here before. Positioned to was defensive backs
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Joyner is not only small, but he's a headhunter, exactly the kind of safety to avoid in the draft. The shit he does in college is illegal in the pros, so he'd not only have the disadvantage of being a midget, but also have to completely reinvent his style of play. No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post

Ted Thompson is here...alway see him at the Senior Bowl. Don't know if I've ever seen him here before. Positioned to was defensive backs
    ok then. lets take a look at who TT might be looking at

Code:
    EAST
    SAF 	10 	Tre 	Boston 	         6'1" 	        190 	North Carolina 
    SAF 	17 	A.J. 	Marshall 	         6'0" 	        190 	Wake Forest 	
    SAF 	29 	Hakeem 	Smith 	        6'2" 	        188 	Louisville 
    SAF 	12 	Dezmen 	Southward 	6'2" 	        214 	Wisconsin (INJ) 
    SAF 	14 	Jemea 	Thomas 	        5'10" 	195 	Georgia Tech

WEST
    SAF 	3 	Alden 	Darby 	5'11" 	195 	Arizona State 
    SAF 	8 	Daytawion 	Lowe 	5'11" 	205 	Oklahoma State 	
    SAF 	1 	Sean 	Parker 	5'10" 	195 	Washington 	
    SAF 	9 	Daniel 	Sorensen 	6'2" 	        208 	BYU 	
    SAF 	21 	Brock 	Vereen 	6'0" 	        202 	Minnesota

Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post

Hopefully his next draft pick at Safety works out better than McMillian. Anyone know anything about the guys red listed?

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    Hopefully his next draft pick at Safety works out better than McMillian. Anyone know anything about the guys red listed?
    according to one of my main sites for draft info, this doesn't look like its the cream of the crop

http://walterfootball.com/draft2014S.php

they have tre boston as the 5th best safety in the draft, hakeem smith as #13, alan darby as 15, sean parker at 19, and southward at 25

so, exactly the type of guys TT would draft in the later rounds to fill our biggest need