Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Finley getting 57th opinion on his neck today

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    That article reads like nothing is resolved. Nothing at all. I am rooting for the kid, but I am not optimistic. Sports haven't saved him yet. Sports plus money might be worse.
    Just because someone stumbles and loses their way, it doesn't mean they're lost forever.

Not sure if someone should start a thread about Finley's 58th medical opinion, but it looks like he got what he didn't get the prior 57 times.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Regarding cap space, money wasted is money wasted; and since it now rolls forward it can always benefit you in the future, maybe even years later, just like a personal rainy day fund. Any player who underperforms what he is paid hurts the salary cap situation to some extent.

Had they not paid Finley, or not paid him so much, maybe they would have felt more comfortable paying Wells that same year (we can wonder if that would have been any better). The even more space now might have made them comfortable retaining EDS this year, and/or Jones; or extending both Nelson and Cobb (we don't know how those will turn out). Could they have done at least some those anyway? Sure, but the current group seems unlikely to push cap limits if they can help it.
    So by resigning Finley we missed out on two average centers who got overpaid. Sorry bro but TT was not spending that much money on those guys even if we didn't sign Finley. TT is one of the best in the league at handling cap space and we have more than enough room to resign Nelson and Cobb. Finley's contract did not set this team back in anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon494 View Post
    So by resigning Finley we missed out on two average centers who got overpaid. Sorry bro but TT was not spending that much money on those guys even if we didn't sign Finley. TT is one of the best in the league at handling cap space and we have more than enough room to resign Nelson and Cobb. Finley's contract did not set this team back in anyway.
    I agree that cap management is a complete non issue as it has never, in the history of the NFL, ever caused the league to impose sanctions for exceeding it but...

Wells > Saturday
    Wells > EDS
    Wells > all other centers that have never taken a snap in the NFL.
    Wells > Average

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    I agree that cap management is a complete non issue as it has never, in the history of the NFL, ever caused the league to impose sanctions for exceeding it but...

Wells > Saturday
    Wells > EDS
    Wells > Average
    Wells was a good center but I'm not paying him to be one of the highest centers in the NFL like the Rams did. Hes 33 now and has been injured each season since leaving the Packers.

Wells was a good center but I'm not paying him to be one of the highest centers in the NFL like the Rams did. Hes 33 now and has been injured each season since leaving the Packers.
    Who is talking about signing him now? When he was on the Packers he was good. Since he left the team, the position has been not good. Since he left, we have the #1 QB in terms of time on his ass. I'd have kept Wells.

Good > not good.

Our centers have struggled in the run game not in pass protection, smart GMs don't pay centers past their prime nearly 6M a year. There is a reason the #1 rated center didn't go until the 3rd round in this years draft.

That has to be making the Rams crazy, I'm surprised they haven't accused the Packers of spiking the dude's drink on his way out the door! Wells missed more time due to injury in 2 seasons in St-Louis than he did all the time he was in Green Bay.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

so finley's quack doctor who sprinkeled some moon dust on him and made him walk counter clockwise for a full day, instead of doing the normal procedure, has now deemed him cured

i'm shocked

still doesn't mean a team will come anywhere near touching him. i think collins has been deemed "fixed" by his doctor too

and like PFT brought up, and most of us know already, he has 10 million reasons to not ever play again. no team is gonna give his broken drop happy ass a huge contract right now, at best he'll get a few million dollar one year "prove you can do it" deal

if its me, i take the 10 million and go plop down on a beach somewhere next to a bar. or buy a bar on a beach

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    if its me, i take the 10 million and go plop down on a beach somewhere next to a bar. or buy a bar on a beach
    You mean you wouldn't want to leave in Green Bay?

You mean you wouldn't want to leave in Green Bay?
    fuck off, i hate snow

Who is talking about signing him now? When he was on the Packers he was good. Since he left the team, the position has been not good. Since he left, we have the #1 QB in terms of time on his ass. I'd have kept Wells.

Good > not good.
    You nailed it.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Not sure if someone should start a thread about Finley's 58th medical opinion, but it looks like he got what he didn't get the prior 57 times.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...om-his-doctor/

Agent: Jermichael Finley has received clearance from his doctor

Posted by Mike Florio on May 29, 2014, 12:55 PM EDT

" Packers tight end Jermichael Finley finally has gotten some good news. But it doesn’t mean he’ll soon be joining a new team. Or rejoining his former team, the Packers."

PACKERS !
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Those were just examples of what maybe could have been done. Perhaps more importantly, with a bunch more cap space, Tt might have felt comfortable signing a F A. Sure, he COULD have anyway, but I really believe TT has a comfort level of space which he is willing to spend up to, but not over except when absolutely necessary. With Finley's dollars he might have signed that years version of Peppers or Woodson.

Wasted cap dollars is always wasted, and matters long term.

Wells > Saturday
    Wells > EDS
    Wells > Average
    13 missed games makes it a dicey signing. EDS as backup isn't as good as EDS with starting experience.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Just because someone stumbles and loses their way, it doesn't mean they're lost forever.

I agree. But the idea in the article that a change of location will solve issues seems very naive. Football hasn't fixed him yet. He needs something else.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I agree. But the idea in the article that a change of location will solve issues seems very naive. Football hasn't fixed him yet. He needs something else.
    I agree. I think he's probably okay for now because he's involved with football. The real test will be next Jan/Feb when everybody goes their separate ways for 2-3 months.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Good > not good.
    I won't argue this one with you.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    I agree Finley does not deserve big money this year; he's been hurt too much and has produced too little.

With that being said, he's still one of the most talented TE's in the NFL and I'll take him back for a year.

But if we do take him back.....can we do a round 3 repick ?

This of our glut. Ryan Taylor is a perfect last TE because he's an ok blocker who excels at special teams. Quarless is a fine backup who IMO can play. Bostik I think has some talent and then we've got out 3rd round draft pick Rodgers who IMO TT really reached for. Seems to be a high character guy who lacks speed and upside. We already have those. I really think TT was going with the ND Tight End in round two but he got nabbed right in front of us.
    If he falls to us than we probably end up with Moncrief in round 3 and Wist would be in heaven
    At this point we don't know whether Lyerla or Finley will be available and we knew even less on draft day in terms of whether Lyerla would be offered a UDFA contract by another team. What we did know at that point was that the top 5 TE's went quickly and Rodgers was likely TT's last value TE - the next one wasn't drafted until the 7th round so there was very likely a big drop on TT's board right at that spot. You say he's a reach but it's pretty clear the guy who makes all the money projecting football talent and has all the first-hand info likes the coach's son who has great hands and big YAC production.

So with all that we knew and didn't know, combined with what we still don't know, the selection of the TE at that point would appear to have been a prudent move. Now we'll have to see if Rodgers can play as TT projects or if the high-risk and reward gambles pay off (or are even signable yet) which then might make the Rodgers selection a prudent move for the team that ends up being mitigated by even greater talent coming to the fore. No matter how it turns out TT has made significant attempts to strengthen the TE position. We'll know a little bit more about if he's succeeded in a few months.

If he's successful, what does it matter if it's Finley, Leyerla, Rodgers or some combination. I sure am glad he didn't put all his eggs in either the Finley or Lyerla basket at this point. What a duo they could make but I'd applaud a draft-day buffer to help mitigate those pretty significant availability risks all day long even if the best case scenario were to come to fruition.
    Last edited by vince; 05-30-2014 at 12:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Wasted cap dollars is always wasted, and matters long term.
    You keep saying that so I guess every player in the NFL who gets injured is wasted cap dollars. Guess Rodgers missing 7 games last season was wasted cap space too, we could have used that money to resign Crabtree.