Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Sherry era ends

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    If one of the OT's gets hurt, Lang probably moves there. Not ideal, but he's played both positions in the past.
    He seemed more suited as a younger player. As I recall, when Bulaga was hurt in 2012 Lang struggled out there until they went with Barclay when Lang, too, was dinged up late in the season. That's the real problem. If they lose a couple......

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    He seemed more suited as a younger player. As I recall, when Bulaga was hurt in 2012 Lang struggled out there until they went with Barclay when Lang, too, was dinged up late in the season. That's the real problem. If they lose a couple......
    Its a bit of odd timing both ways. Neither Lang (far removed from Tackle and currently injured) and Tretter (just coming off injury and maybe 2 weeks practice at Tackle since college) seem ready to jump in as backup.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Its a bit of odd timing both ways. Neither Lang (far removed from Tackle and currently injured) and Tretter (just coming off injury and maybe 2 weeks practice at Tackle since college) seem ready to jump in as backup.
    They have Vujnovich on PS. He had some shining moments in preseason, and some not so good moments. I could see them signing him and letting Gerhart go.

Their roster has 3 guards, 3 centers and two tackles. Gerhart is a wasted roster spot with Tretter and Linsley healthy.
    From my armchair, Gerhardt is a really bad player who hardly rates a practice squad spot, given his Fred Flintstone body. I agree that Packers will probably promote a tackle from somewhere.

It may be time to rate the Big Three. I go with:
    1) Marshall "Marshmallow" Newhouse
    2) Allen Barbre
    3) Derek "Fluffy" Sherrod

Newhouse was able to occasionally get through entire games without breakdowns. He is starter (by injury) for Cincinnati.
    Barbre could drive block, just couldn't handle speed rush. He's in 8th NFL season.
    Sherrod - stumblebum, soft. God bless him if he makes it somewhere.

My rankings are based on selective memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    I don't understand. Measurables?
    It was a good joke, especially by pbmax's standards.

It is quite surprising that Sherrod got released. But they have been giving him some spot duty the last several games, I thought he looked bad. Packers must have concluded thatt Sherry is unplayable, like a scratched CD, so throw away.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    It was a good joke, especially by pbmax's standards.

It is quite surprising that Sherrod got released. But they have been giving him some spot duty the last several games, I thought he looked bad. Packers must have concluded thatt Sherry is unplayable, like a scratched CD, so throw away.
    He must've really been hopeless, even in practice, for them to cut him when there's no real other backup tackle on the roster.

It's not like they had no other candidates to cut, Brandon Bostick.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

They have Vujnovich on PS. He had some shining moments in preseason, and some not so good moments. I could see them signing him and letting Gerhart go.
    From what I remember, I saw more promise from Vujnovich in preseason than I did from Sherrod. Maybe my expectations were higher for Sherrod and lower for Vujnovich. I'm interested to see how Vujnovich looks next year in camp.

Losing Barclay really hurt the online depth.

I vaguely remember criticisms of his heart and desire when he was drafted.

Is having no backup tackles better than having a bad backup tackle? Let's hope we never have to find out.
    Go PACK

Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641 View Post
    Is having no backup tackles better than having a bad backup tackle? Let's hope we never have to find out.
    I have always wanted to see the A-11 offense run in the pros.

Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Tretter played tackle in college, he is same size as Bachtiari. He has no game experience at center in pros or college, its not like he is set there.

From limited evidence, Tretter is much better than any of the three stooges - Sherrod, Taylor and Gerhardt

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    Tretter played tackle in college, he is same size as Bachtiari. He has no game experience at center in pros or college, its not like he is set there.

From limited evidence, Tretter is much better than any of the three stooges - Sherrod, Taylor and Gerhardt
    I have no doubt Tretter is better inside. it's outside that I'm concerned about. Seems like a lot to ask a guy to go through his first season and training camp prepping to be the starting center, and then shift him to tackle.
    Go PACK

I have no doubt Tretter is better inside. it's outside that I'm concerned about. Seems like a lot to ask a guy to go through his first season and training camp prepping to be the starting center, and then shift him to tackle.
    Flanagan did it. He also was a tall center.

You don't expect Tretter to be a stud, but I bet he is as good or better than Barclay at tackle, at least with pass blocking.

Last edited by Harlan Huckleby; 11-04-2014 at 01:10 PM.

The timing works out for Sherrod, this is the Vikings bye week and it will give him time to learn the playbook.

Rat Starter
    I have always wanted to see the A-11 offense run in the pros.

Didn't the Fins ran it in the Packers game this season? There was a flag on that play but I only saw the center and the two guards lining up "traditionally."

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrion Lannister View Post
    Didn't the Fins ran it in the Packers game this season? There was a flag on that play but I only saw 3 "OLmen" at the LOS.
    Yep, some version of it.

Rat Starter
    Yep, some version of it.
    Is it legal? I think Chip Kelly initially ran it with the Eagles last season, then one of his guy became OC with Fins and he ran it against the Pack. If memory serves me right, the Fins were called for illegal formation. Got the Pack D going heywire, though.

Is it legal? I think Chip Kelly initially ran it with the Eagles last season, then one of his guy became OC with Fins and he ran it against the Pack. If memory serves me right, the Fins were called for illegal formation. Got the Pack D going heywire, though.
    Nothing illegal, unless you screw up. Think of it as a normal 1-back formation with 2 recievers on each side. Now increase the spacing between the guards and tackles and make the QB even with the back.

However, since it is not a commonly run formation it is easier for one of the tackles to be back a little too far or the wideout that is supposed to be on the line to be off thinking that the tackle is a TE, giving an illegal formation.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

They didn't have enough players ON the line of scrimmage or a tackle wasn't covered up on one side or the other. It was a matter of distance from the LOS, not the formation arrangement itself that was illegal I believe.