Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Super Bowl XLIX Thread

The other problem with running without a TO is that you cannot substitute AND you have to count on the refs pulling the Defense off the ball and getting it set in a timely fashion.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out View Post
    Hoody made the right call by NOT calling a TO. Seattle only had one left with 28 or so seconds left....so by not calling that TO he almost forced them to throw. I still would have ran Beast first and burned the TO if he didn't make it. That way you still have a couple of shots throwing the ball. Make sense..?
    That doesn't hold up FO...

By not calling a TO Belichick reduced his teams chances of winning by at least half. That is to say, he took away the possibility that his offense could get back down the field for a FG and try to tie it. That's the point - that's the only point.

As Brady himself said, when he saw that they weren't going to take a TO he said he knew his SB was over - and that it all came down to right then and there with the defense - that's the point - NE's chances were reduced by not taking the TO.

As for Seattle, they could have, and should have run it there b/c running it there stood a good chance of success and was low risk. They still had the TO, so they could stop the clock and pass on 3rd down. If the 3rd down pass is incomplete, the clock stops and it is 4th down - run or pass for all the marbles. Seattle absolutely was not forced to pass it on 2nd down.

Prisco wrote an article saying exactly what some of us are saying... that both coaches screwed it up at the end. BB just happened to get away with it b/c Carroll/Bevell bailed him out with a stupid playcall.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/...y-with-blunder
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641 View Post
    I don't have stats on this year specifically, but he is 5/12 in those situations over the past 3 years.

The really damning thing for Seattle is that NE was horrible in short yardage situations. Worst team in the league in "power-running situations" and fifth worst at "stuffing" power runs (no gain or a loss).

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/dl

On the flip side, Seattle was very good at converting power situations and rarely got stuffed.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol
    Why didn't Seattle take advantage of that information?

Amazing.

I just hope like us; that Mike McCarthy and Tom Clements are learning from all of this.
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 02-02-2015 at 11:32 PM.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Senior Rat All-Pro oldbutnotdeadyet's Avatar
    I missed this discussion as I was in Godknowswhere, NE waiting out winter storm linus. I had to listen to half in car and watched second half at some dive hotel, but the one thing I took away from it was the packers could have beat either one of them....

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    Why didn't Seattle take advantage of that information?

Amazing.

I just hope like us; that Mike McCarthy and Tom Clements are learning from all of this.
    You'd think with all those Microsoft Surface tablets on the sidelines they could go to that website. Or at least play Clash of Clans or Age of War while waiting to get back on the field.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Serious question: I think the Derp is getting waist deep on the pass call. Yesterday I read and today I heard on the radio that all you need to run a run play is 5 to 6 seconds.

How long, at the goalline, does it take Lynch or Wilson to run, get stuffed, get piled on (because the Patriots will do that), have the refs pull people out of the pile, set the football and allow a play to be run?

I say its a minimum of 10 seconds and if you count on that happening, half the time you will fail to get a play off.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Agree pb. There would be piling on for sure. I'd say 10 seconds is fast because the SEA players would be pulling and grabbing the NE players on the pile. Then there's the inevitable pushing and shoving that would happen.

I don't think this was a dumb move by Carroll as much as a brilliant and gutsy move by Belichick. He baited Carroll into throwing the ball by letting time run off the clock and by bringing in his run package. When Wilson threw the ball they knew what was coming because they had seen Seattle run it before. That's why Butler was able to get such a great break on the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    I don't think this was a dumb move by Carroll as much as a brilliant and gutsy move by Belichick. He baited Carroll into throwing the ball by letting time run off the clock and by bringing in his run package. When Wilson threw the ball they knew what was coming because they had seen Seattle run it before. That's why Butler was able to get such a great break on the ball.
    I am not sure Belichick's awareness extended to the play call. They have to have more than one pass option in short yardage.

But I am sure the goalline defense was out there for Lynch. I am just not too sure anyone else would do anything different. Even Capers has to expect Lynch even with 3 WRs, no?

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I am not sure Belichick's awareness extended to the play call. They have to have more than one pass option in short yardage.

But I am sure the goalline defense was out there for Lynch. I am just not too sure anyone else would do anything different. Even Capers has to expect Lynch even with 3 WRs, no?
    Capers would have run a 1-5-5 and vacated the middle of the field

I'm tired of Belichick getting credit for screwing up the last minute of the game. He played it horribly and would be getting a ton of blowback if Seattle had just run the ball like they should have. Go back to my stat that NE had allowed rushing TD on 5 of 6 attempts from the 1.
    Go PACK

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Belichick could have figured there was a chance they could get greedy and pass because of the time on the clock, so he waited to see their formation before calling TO. When they came out in shotgun he held out. An incomplete would have stopped the clock for him anyways.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar

Seems a lot more unlikely out of shotgun though.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    no, he has 32.7% chance of scoring.
    It was a joke about Peter Graves. Still, where's our resident statistician, Dyoop? I think you got this backwards Bobble. 5 chances at 20% gives you a 1-(.8)e5 = 0.672 chance of scoring.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    Belichick could have figured there was a chance they could get greedy and pass because of the time on the clock, so he waited to see their formation before calling TO. When they came out in shotgun he held out. An incomplete would have stopped the clock for him anyways.
    Isn't the 35-40 seconds more valuable than the timeout at that point? Unless Belichick is a cyborg who can see into the future.
    Go PACK

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641 View Post
    Capers would have run a 1-5-5 and vacated the middle of the field
    LOL. Unsound!
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Serious question: I think the Derp is getting waist deep on the pass call. Yesterday I read and today I heard on the radio that all you need to run a run play is 5 to 6 seconds.

How long, at the goalline, does it take Lynch or Wilson to run, get stuffed, get piled on (because the Patriots will do that), have the refs pull people out of the pile, set the football and allow a play to be run?

I say its a minimum of 10 seconds and if you count on that happening, half the time you will fail to get a play off.
    If Seattle runs on 2nd down and doesn't make it, they don't wait for the refs to unpile... they'd burn their last TO as soon as the whistle blew, so that time would run off the clock.

If that scenario had played out, then the next call would be a pass - it's either a TD or incomplete, in which case the clock stops again. Then you're down to 4th and all the marbles - run or pass.

That's the way Seattle should have played it.

As for Belichick - he completely screwed up by not calling the TO. In that situation, it is his responsibility to give his team as many options as possible to win, by not calling the TO he gave his team 1 chance, and 1 chance only; if he had called the TO, he gives his team 2 chances. Pure and simple, it is just playing the odds - he screwed it up, but got away with it.
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    If Seattle runs on 2nd down and doesn't make it, they don't wait for the refs to unpile... they'd burn their last TO as soon as the whistle blew, so that time would run off the clock.

If that scenario had played out, then the next call would be a pass - it's either a TD or incomplete, in which case the clock stops again. Then you're down to 4th and all the marbles - run or pass.

That's the way Seattle should have played it.

As for Belichick - he completely screwed up by not calling the TO. In that situation, it is his responsibility to give his team as many options as possible to win, by not calling the TO he gave his team 1 chance, and 1 chance only; if he had called the TO, he gives his team 2 chances. Pure and simple, it is just playing the odds - he screwed it up, but got away with it.
    ....or intercepted.
    C.H.U.D.

It does, but you can't send out a personnel group and know whether its shotgun or not, even in no huddle that can change. The matchup is predicated on personnel only.

Senior Rat All-Pro oldbutnotdeadyet's Avatar
    I must have listened to 30 different radio shows on 18 hr drive from Denver, all 30 blamed the seachicken offensive coordinator, no one blamed carrol. Doesn't head coach always review and agree/disagree with plays?