Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: THE JSO take on Ted Thompson picking DT Kenny Clark in Rd. 1 Pick NO. 27.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Exactly. While I do wish Ted could have and would have made the trade with Denver that Seattle did, I will never know if he had the chance to do so, though the fact the Cowboys were in the game too, from what I understand, suggests that there was some competition for Lynch and the likelihood is then that Denver knew it would have to move ahead of the Cowboys and so went up to Seattle.

So it seems unlikely the Packers could've swapped #27 to Denver for #31 plus a third. I wish they could've made a swap, got an extra pick, and maybe still have gotten Clark.

But none of us know how good Clark will be. Not me, not you, not Patler nor Wist nor Ted (maybe especially Ted?).

I hope the guy is an anchor in the middle for the next ten years. I'm not jumping for joy, but I've learned not to get too disappointed, either. Last year I had no idea who Randall was and I was not too excited, but after a year it looks like the guy is a starting caliber NFL corner and maybe better than that.

We'll see.
    from what i've read, it sounds like we were on the phone with the cowboys, denver figured it out and knew they had to get ahead of us, and went to seattle

it was either get into a bidding war with the cowboys for our sport, or just leapfrog us

we lost out in the end. it sure sounds to me like we were planning on trading down, then the whole thing blew up and we just took the guy we got

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    I wonder how the Pack had Ragland (and Jack) ranked? Most expected them not to be on the board by the time their pick came around. How much did their medical conditions affect decisions about them?

Jack sounds like he needs microfracture surgery. What's the recovery time for that? Would he even play this year? How likely is he to lose a step after two surgeries on that knee?

Ragland - An enlarged aorta sounds scary as shit, although some teams say it isn't enough to prevent him from being drafted early. Maybe Ted leaked it in hope that he will fall to the Packers in round 2.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    Jack sounds like he needs microfracture surgery. What's the recovery time for that? Would he even play this year? How likely is he to lose a step after two surgeries on that knee?
    From what I read, it seems he will likely need the surgery sometime in future, but doesn't need it right now. I thik he alluded to three years, or something like that.

Seems to be one of those things that ends up being no big deal for some, but career changing for others. I think they said Rod Woodson, or someone like that, played most of his HOF career after having the surgery. Then they gave examples of some who basically ended their careers with the surgery.

Seems like an acceptable risk at some point, but clearly not the first round this year. I don't know who is the bigger risk, Jack or Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    from what i've read, it sounds like we were on the phone with the cowboys, denver figured it out and knew they had to get ahead of us, and went to seattle

it was either get into a bidding war with the cowboys for our sport, or just leapfrog us

we lost out in the end. it sure sounds to me like we were planning on trading down, then the whole thing blew up and we just took the guy we got
    As long as Clark was the guy they wanted and Ted was sure of it, then that's just the way the cookie crumbles as far as the trade.

But it adds a bit of evidence that it didn't have to be Clark if they were going back to Round 2.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

nm

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 2m2 minutes ago
    Gutekunst on Kenny Clark: "He has some dominant traits on tape sometimes. ... He is a playmaker on the inside, which is hard to find."

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 1m1 minute ago
    Gutekunst on finding big guys: "We're all looking for them at every level."
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.