Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Josh Sitton.

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post

1) Sitton's back is worse than previously thought. .
    I think this is probably the biggest factor.

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    The only way I can wrap my head around this is three things are true:

1) Sitton's back is worse than previously thought. We know it affected him on the field last year and that it dictated his offseason.

2) 6.85M is about fair market value for a solid starter, and cheap for a resume like Sitton's. This move must really help the beancounting of next years free agent exodus. If cap space alone were the reason, they would have cut him months ago.

3) When Ted said "best for the team and growth of the offensive line" he wasn't talking about youth for the sake of youth with turds like Lane Taylor or Barclay. For the team to grow in any meaningful sense this gets a guy with serious potential on the field. Put me in the Bak, Spriggs doubleswitch camp.
    I'm with you on #1 and #2. I think #2 is most likely. They want money freed up to sign extensions now to put less burden on the future cap. I wonder if he was offered to take a pay cut. I wish #3 was true, but why wait until the final day to do this?
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter
    Looks like former Packers' Pro Bowl G Josh Sitton's first visit will be to...division-rival Chicago Bears, per sources. Saints could follow
    9:01 AM - 4 Sep 2016
    I'd be okay with this. That team will be bad with or without Sitton. Better the Bears than Seattle. I don't see a need in Minnesota. Boone and Fusco are solid.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Everyone stop panicking. He is a Guard. Not a starting QB. If Daryn Colledge can get you to the NFCCG, then this is survivable.
    The dynamic duo of Klemm and his sidekick Whitticker couldn't get the Pack the NCCG.

Not saying we will go 4-12 this season without Sitton, but sometimes when you underestimate a position, as Thompson did at OG back in '05, it comes back to bite you in the ass. Favre would've been sacked perhaps 100 - plus times if not for his quick release. I like to joke at the local comedy club that Favre and Brady get rid of the football faster than I last during coition.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by George Cumby View Post
    I think this is probably the biggest factor.
    I think the biggest factor wrt the Packers final roster is always Ted's ego... he'd rather tinker around with prospects than keep a good solid vet on the team. Salary cap has nothing to do with it.

Our roster, top-bottom, is average... Rodgers is the only thing that makes us a contender.

Man for man, sans Rodgers, I'd take Minnesota's roster over ours in a heartbeat.
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    Is NE likely to fall apart without Brady??

They lost him for an entire season, and went 10-6 with what proved to be a below average QB.
    AFC East is what happened. How did the non-Bradys do in the playoffs?

They finished behind the Jets. The bleeping Jets. That's worse then finishing behind the Lions.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Last year the Packers fell apart with Rodgers, but without Nelson.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Polar Bear View Post
    The dynamic duo of Klemm and his sidekick Whitticker couldn't get the Pack the NCCG.

Not saying we will go 4-12 this season without Sitton, but sometimes when you underestimate a position, as Thompson did at OG back in '05, it comes back to bite you in the ass. Favre would've been sacked perhaps 100 - plus times if not for his quick release. I like to joke at the local comedy club that Favre and Brady get rid of the football faster than I last during coition.
    Rebuilding can take more than one year.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    I would be surprised if this happened because wouldn't he just go to FA and cash in at tackle rather than accept guard payment? I think it's clear they think he's the LT of the future, and they want to keep Tretter too.
    I doubt there is a team in the NFL that is going to give Bach more money to play LT poorly than he would earn playing guard very well.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Doesn't the veteran's salary become guaranteed when he is on the roster for the first game? In the past we have seen teams release a veteran on Saturday and resign him on Monday to get away from the guarantee if he is looked at as a backup, or otherwise not yet ready to play. Sitton may be on the street until a week from Monday.

The fact that GB intended to release Sitton didn't discourage teams from trading for him, his salary versus perceived value did. Trading for him ensures that you get him, and a low draft pick, or a conditional pick isn't much to pay for it. If you let the Packers cut him, you are competing against other teams to get him. The fact that no team was willing to trade for him shows that no team was willing to give up anything to ensure that they got him. Teams were willing to take their chances in not getting him.
    This is what I find so surprising! Even if these other teams knew we were gonna cut him if a GM really wanted him they would have made a deal to ensure they got him.

I was listening to a pod cast of Wilde on Chewy's radio show earlier and Wilde said when he asked Sitton point blank the question on everyone's lips - "Why?" - all Josh would say is "ask my agent".

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Polar Bear View Post

We won the SB in 2010 with Daryn freaking Colledge at LG.

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    This regime has always been behind the curve at certain positions - the OL in general is one of them.

They're just as retarded about ILB, and defense in general.

Take away Aaron Rodgers, and everyone would have been calling for Ted's head years ago. QB may be the most important position in the league, but the Packers completely fall apart - as in completely - without Rodgers. That doesn't speak well of Ted's drafting philosophy and chops.
    steve hutchinson
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

They finished behind the Jets. The bleeping Jets. That's worse then finishing behind the Lions.
    The whole thing is ignoring how stacked the team was, that, ya-know, was a Helmet catch away from being 19-0. Wist is crazy.

According to Ian Rapoport and Brad Biggs on Twitter, the Bears are signing Sitton to a 3-Year deal. Those are the only sources I've seen so far.

Biggs says that the deal could approach almost 7 mil. per yr.
    Last edited by SMBASS; 09-04-2016 at 09:52 PM.

Sounds like Sitton actually got a small raise. This whole situation is very strange. Why on earth would you cut an all-pro? Could have gotten a decent compensatory pick next year letting him walk.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    Sounds like Sitton actually got a small raise. This whole situation is very strange. Why on earth would you cut an all-pro? Could have gotten a decent compensatory pick next year letting him walk.
    I agree that it's all very weird the way it went down. I still think there's more to this story then we're probably ever going to hear. Well, whatever...it's a done deal now.

Adam Schefter
    ✔ ‎@AdamSchefter

Josh Sitton signing a 3-year, $21.75 million deal that includes $10M guaranteed with the Chicago Bears, per source.

9:51 PM - 4 Sep 2016

Thanks Ted!

You're such a homer, lol...
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by SMBASS View Post
    I agree that it's all very weird the way it went down. I still think there's more to this story then we're probably ever going to hear. Well, whatever...it's a done deal now.

Per Daugherty:

An NFL source with ties to the Packers told me that in the team’s eyes Sitton had become haughty and uncommunicative. That jibes with a report by the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel’s Tom Silverstein that the Packers were unwilling to talk contract extension with Sitton and instead placed left tackle David Bakhtiari and center JC Tretter ahead of him on their contract-extension priority list.

Clearly, Thompson thought a problem was festering in his locker room, and Sitton’s age and bad back left him expendable even coming off a second-team All-Pro season.