Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: NFL OFFICIATING: Another SeaChickens Crybaby, Or Does Sherman Have A Point?

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    I don't mind instant replay when it doesn't take forever. Don't we want it called right? If we had instant replay back in 1999 SF wouldn't have won (Jerry Rice did fumble) and we would have gone on to the divisional round that season.
    maybe, maybe not. Did he have control? Under review, maybe it wasn't even a catch ( ) and it's just a loss of down?
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    I don't mind instant replay when it doesn't take forever. Don't we want it called right? If we had instant replay back in 1999 SF wouldn't have won (Jerry Rice did fumble) and we would have gone on to the divisional round that season.
    In a lot of cases there is no objective standard of what "right" means. For example, when is a catch really a catch? When does a receiver truly have possession? Take the famous Dez Bryant non-catch for instance. Even in super slow motion it's virtually impossible to tell. Instant replay didn't end that controversy but magnified it.

Instant replay is barely tolerable now. I surely wouldn't expand it.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out View Post
    Get rid of instant replay.
    With all due respect, I wholeheartedly disagree to the fuck. Watching sports with instant replays is a lot cooler than without, in person or on TV.

As a young stud, I once attended a UW-TheOSU game at Camp Randell. That was the early 2000's, or maybe 1999. Whatever the year, the tech existed, yet UW was too cheap to make instant replays available on the jumbo screen.

After the soon-to-be-Viking-great Mike Bennett dashed loose for a long TD, I looked up at the jumbo screen hoping to see a replay of that home run. All I saw was an annoying animation, you know, like that low-tech animation in Tecmo Bowl after you score a TD.

Came away wishing I had stayed home. Watching the game on ESPN woulda been more enjoyable, as the network pretty much shows instant replays after every play.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    i don't have a problem with it. if a player commits a penalty...call it! sherman crying about pass int and illegal contact is hilarious. the sea backfield has been the most notorious outfit in the league over the past several years for the over the top coverage. their philosophy is hold, grab, whatever it takes to keep teams from completing passes and to give their front 7 time to get to the qb. if they get the occasional penalty so be it. they know the refs won't call it on every play so it's to their advantage. that crap never used to be happen. i think the refs should go ahead and call it every play and see how they react.
    Doubt General Sherman cried about the officiating on this play (Reminder: Shields was blatantly interfered by Tate prior to all hell breaking loose).

I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Sherman half full of shit. Illegal contact can make it impossible for that receiver to get open so the ball goes elsewhere. In Sherman's mind that does not deserve a call, but really it does. Do we really want to go back to rules of the 50's?

On the other hand, he has a case for calling offensive illegal contact for receiver initiating contact. Many times it is a form of OPI.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    My first reaction was to kinda agree with Sherman, but this post rings true too.

My big gripe is with all the stupid shit about safety. If they can do things with equipment, fine, but so much disruptive regulatory crap messes up the game IMO. Bottom line is that for the extreme millions these guys are paid, they can assume the risk - or not if they want to go all Chris Borland. Do away with the concussion protocol and similar shit.

The pass interference thing is just fine tuning. The players can and should adjust to the rules. The worse thing there is the inconsistency of how different officials interpret those rules. One of Sherman's gripes, the automatic first down, seems valid though. Make PI a spot foul with a minimum of 15 yards of penalty, and if it's still not a first down - like in his 4th and 55 example, so be it.
    Getting rid of the concussion protocol would be the death knell of football. Its one of the few things they have partially got right.

Get rid of all the other targeting rules and simply ban hitting or leading with the head. You dive like a missile with no arms, 15 yards and a first down. Stick your noggin in to force a fumble, 15 yards and a first down. Only player allowed to do it is the running back in the tackle box.

Football did not used to be played with head hunting, the gear wasn't good enough. Time to go back to it.

Steve Atwater and the Cleveland safety were pilloried for being terrible form tacklers by going for the kill shot. Bring back the form tackle.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    Sherman half full of shit. Illegal contact can make it impossible for that receiver to get open so the ball goes elsewhere. In Sherman's mind that does not deserve a call, but really it does. Do we really want to go back to rules of the 50's?

On the other hand, he has a case for calling offensive illegal contact for receiver initiating contact. Many times it is a form of OPI.
    Can you imagine Michael Irvin's stats if he had been flagged for OPI every time he pushed off????
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/mike_zankle/icebowltickets.png

dp

Sherman is exactly right.

Way too over regulated, way too complicated rule book.

No surprise at all ratings down

I'll be giving up my Packer season tickets within 5 years. Because too many rules and getting worse every year.

#thanksforkillingagreatgameyouoverregulatingfuckfa ces

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Getting rid of the concussion protocol would be the death knell of football. Its one of the few things they have partially got right.

Get rid of all the other targeting rules and simply ban hitting or leading with the head. You dive like a missile with no arms, 15 yards and a first down. Stick your noggin in to force a fumble, 15 yards and a first down. Only player allowed to do it is the running back in the tackle box.

Football did not used to be played with head hunting, the gear wasn't good enough. Time to go back to it.

Steve Atwater and the Cleveland safety were pilloried for being terrible form tacklers by going for the kill shot. Bring back the form tackle.
    Coaching them up that way is fine - head hunting is as dangerous or more so for the tackler. However, there shouldn't be a rule. The only penalty for unnecessary roughness should be late hits or out of bounds. They should design oversize soft helmets that protect and can't be used as weapons. They might look like space helmets, but who cares about that.

As for the "death knell" of football, only all out idiots of a particular variety better discussed in FYI would be that sensitive or caring about lame shit like that. Real people - dare I say Good Normal people - want to get back to Nitschke and Butkis type stuff, and if somebody is scared of getting injured, let 'em pass on the extreme millions they are making. That includes QBs.

esoxx's post immediately before this one proves my point - assuming it isn't sarcasm.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Ah, no. Not sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by esoxx View Post
    Sherman is exactly right.

Way too over regulated, way too complicated rule book.

No surprise at all ratings down

I'll be giving up my Packer season tickets within 5 years. Because too many rules and getting worse every year.

#thanksforkillingagreatgameyouoverregulatingfuckfa ces
    as soon as the election is over the rating will be fine. they're only really down for primetime games. Sundays are about the same as last year...which was a record year. the only place they could really go was down.

"Football did not used to be played with head hunting, the gear wasn't good enough. Time to go back to it."

To me, this is the key. In trying to protect players by making the equipment safer and more protective, it has allowed players to play more dangerously. Go back to leather helmets and smaller pads and we'll see how many guys are leading with their heads.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    "Football did not used to be played with head hunting, the gear wasn't good enough. Time to go back to it."

To me, this is the key. In trying to protect players by making the equipment safer and more protective, it has allowed players to play more dangerously. Go back to leather helmets and smaller pads and we'll see how many guys are leading with their heads.
    Now you're talking.

One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post

The law of unintended consequences. The same law applies to rules like pass interference. The players eventually learn how to get around the rules. The guys who actually follow the rules are the ones hurt by them, cause guys like Sherman and company are abusing them play after play.