Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: More Banjo: Conference @ Atlanta

JS Comments ‏@JSComments 1h1 hour ago

I certainly hope the Packer organization reads this comments section
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Blog Entries
    The offense was below average the last 10 games of 2015 and the first 6 games of 2016, averaging 20 points a game. Perhaps it felt "horrid" or "brutal" but that would be inaccurate even during the lowest of their performance run - and it didn't last 21 games either. Before that Denver game in 2015 they averaged 27 pts/game and after the Cowboys game in 2016 they averaged 32 pts/game.

I'm sure there are games against good defenses and/or where they played more poorly than normal that can be hand-picked from the full list but if teams could figure out how to consistently "beat McCarthy in the pre-game scouting department" they'd have done it long ago. There was a formula there for awhile that kept them below average, but it's pretty clear that one doesn't work anymore.

If they don't block up the intermittent blind-side blitz (and the one delayed 0 gap blitz the line flat out missed), we've seen the last couple games that works too but that's not likely to be a sustainable strategy as beveaux said.
    Last edited by vince; 01-24-2017 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    The offense was below average the last 10 games of 2015 and the first 6 games of 2016, averaging 20 points a game. Perhaps it felt "horrid" or "brutal" but that would be inaccurate even during the lowest of their performance run - and it didn't last 21 games either. Before that Denver game in 2015 they averaged 27 pts/game and after the Cowboys game in 2016 they averaged 32 pts/game.

I'm sure there are games against good defenses and/or where they played more poorly than normal that can be hand-picked from the full list but if teams could figure out how to consistently "beat McCarthy in the pre-game scouting department" they'd have done it long ago. There was a formula there for awhile that kept them below average, but it's pretty clear that one doesn't work anymore.

If they don't block up the intermittent blind-side blitz (and the one delayed 0 gap blitz the line flat out missed), we've seen the last couple games that works too but that's not likely to be a sustainable strategy as beveaux said.
    The blitz thing is new and I expect they will get that fixed. Either Monty or Ripper figure it out or Lacy returns to do it. The route combo problem is just something McCarthy isn't willing to adjust long term (he did do some of this during the downturn). But since he has a strong preference to run long routes versus quick hitters versus man, they must block up the blitz or he is going to lose Rodgers. One of those hits I was half convinced wrecked his left shoulder.

The problem with ultimately not adjusting your routes is that it leave even more on the QB's plate and forces him to be otherworldly. Getting such long protection times against good defenses doesn't seem sustainable. Even if this is his preferred method of operating, I would love the see the alternative to give his QB a break.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    The blitz thing is new and I expect they will get that fixed. Either Monty or Ripper figure it out or Lacy returns to do it. The route combo problem is just something McCarthy isn't willing to adjust long term (he did do some of this during the downturn). But since he has a strong preference to run long routes versus quick hitters versus man, they must block up the blitz or he is going to lose Rodgers. One of those hits I was half convinced wrecked his left shoulder.

The problem with ultimately not adjusting your routes is that it leave even more on the QB's plate and forces him to be otherworldly. Getting such long protection times against good defenses doesn't seem sustainable. Even if this is his preferred method of operating, I would love the see the alternative to give his QB a break.
    That's very fair IMO. They definitely need to block up the blitz, or Rodgers needs to see it - and he's pretty good at eluding when he does - if they're going to beat man coverage downfield like they want to do - and are once again pretty darn good at normally. Most teams just don't have enough men to man up effectively for very long against GB.

It's not going to make any sense to put a lot of work into Monty as a RB. He can not handle the pounding of an every down back. Hell most real RB's have trouble going 16 games.

That's very fair IMO. They definitely need to block up the blitz, or Rodgers needs to see it - and he's pretty good at eluding when he does - if they're going to beat man coverage downfield like they want to do - and are once again pretty darn good at normally. Most teams just don't have enough men to man up effectively for very long against GB.
    Part of what I thought was unfair about McGinn's Rating the Game article this week is that he says a "flu bug" shouldn't affect a player in the game. But he doesn't mention Crosby's miss or Nelson's fading contribution. Its all on Rodgers and his poor reaction (theoretically) to being sick.

Well, when your best choice on offense is have the QB perform a quick escape (like he did when he was otherworldly against the Falcons in 2010) from an unblocked blitz and then find time to locate an open receiver and complete the pass, sickness is going to drain his energy. Wouldn't have been wonderful to have 8 plays where the receiver is open quick, can hit some YAC and Rodgers just needs to set and fire. Would very much help your QB and your offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    It's not going to make any sense to put a lot of work into Monty as a RB. He can not handle the pounding of an every down back. Hell most real RB's have trouble going 16 games.
    We'll see next camp, but they seem dedicated to him at RB. McCarthy has stated so explicitly.

We'll see next camp, but they seem dedicated to him at RB. McCarthy has stated so explicitly.
    That would figure. They should be able to figure it out since he can't go a whole game without coming out for at least a little bit for something. Then again stubby and TT seem to really like softer players.

Its been a while since he was a full time RB. As Patler has pointed out, he has the size. He needs to learn to pace himself and not take so many direct hits unless the payoff is worth it.

But the adjustment might happen while he spends some time unavailable. I am very much in favor of signing Lacy for what will likely be his below market value (if his market had been healthy, in-shape Lacy).

I almost forgot about this: how in the hell did they get beat so bad on those onside kick attempts? It's a blur and all I remember is Sanu getting the ball uncontested both times?
    C.H.U.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out View Post
    I almost forgot about this: how in the hell did they get beat so bad on those onside kick attempts? It's a blur and all I remember is Sanu getting the ball uncontested both times?
    What I read, the first one was short, the second one was long.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Yeah he second one was about 10 yards away from the recovering guys when it came down

No chance at all to recover that one

Its been a while since he was a full time RB. As Patler has pointed out, he has the size. He needs to learn to pace himself and not take so many direct hits unless the payoff is worth it.

But the adjustment might happen while he spends some time unavailable. I am very much in favor of signing Lacy for what will likely be his below market value (if his market had been healthy, in-shape Lacy).
    We need to see what he looks like first, he could be 325 for all we know

Blog Entries
    Part of what I thought was unfair about McGinn's Rating the Game article this week is that he says a "flu bug" shouldn't affect a player in the game. But he doesn't mention Crosby's miss or Nelson's fading contribution. Its all on Rodgers and his poor reaction (theoretically) to being sick.

Well, when your best choice on offense is have the QB perform a quick escape (like he did when he was otherworldly against the Falcons in 2010) from an unblocked blitz and then find time to locate an open receiver and complete the pass, sickness is going to drain his energy. Wouldn't have been wonderful to have 8 plays where the receiver is open quick, can hit some YAC and Rodgers just needs to set and fire. Would very much help your QB and your offense.
    I honestly don't think it would have mattered one iota, nor do I think the flu bug was an issue for Rodgers. He didn't run out of gas. He ran out of execution on a few key early plays and he ran out of defense.

I saw Jordy wincing in pain as the game progressed into the 2nd half. I'd say it was his ribs that took him out of the game and not the flu. Crosby missed a 41-yarder on the first series. It turned out to be a big miss. Who knows what it was attributable to but it's far from a slam dunk that it was due to the flu bug earlier in the week. It could have been but it's anything but certain. I'd even say it's unlikely to have been the flu from earlier in the week.
    Last edited by vince; 01-25-2017 at 01:08 AM.

Has MM had the season ending press conference yet? I haven't heard it if so. Seems like it's late this year. Gotta wonder if that means some changes are coming - though I would have thought that would have leaked by now.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    Has MM had the season ending press conference yet? I haven't heard it if so. Seems like it's late this year. Gotta wonder if that means some changes are coming - though I would have thought that would have leaked by now.
    I was wondering the same thing. Last year it was Jan. 18, 2 days after losing to Arizona. Either something's up, or he's just decided to do all his exit interviews before the PC.

My guess he's considering coaching changes, and doesn't want to have to answer questions about it until he's made a decision.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    You are kidding right ?

EVERY YEAR MM's end of the year presser is the same theme. We are evaluating and breaking the tape down and going through the process and have no news at this point.

Expect that tomorrow
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

I honestly don't think it would have mattered one iota, nor do I think the flu bug was an issue for Rodgers. He didn't run out of gas. He ran out of execution on a few key early plays and he ran out of defense.

I saw Jordy wincing in pain as the game progressed into the 2nd half. I'd say it was his ribs that took him out of the game and not the flu. Crosby missed a 41-yarder on the first series. It turned out to be a big miss. Who knows what it was attributable to but it's far from a slam dunk that it was due to the flu bug earlier in the week. It could have been but it's anything but certain. I'd even say it's unlikely to have been the flu from earlier in the week.
    I don't understand you two madly debating the offense when clearly the defense sucked so hard and so deeply for so many games.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I don't understand you two madly debating the offense when clearly the defense sucked so hard and so deeply for so many games.
    Simple. Of the two questions, sussing out problems on O is easier because failures of talent are fewer and father between.

I have no idea on defense. With many of the same parts, that defense played very well in 2014 and at the end of 2015 and at the beginning of 2016. Two of those streaks were without Raji. They also played some of the worst Defensive football I have ever seen during those times.

At this point I can't even begin to fathom how much injuries played a role.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Not sure how mad we are but that would be my point as well.