20 64.52%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: GOAT Packer QB

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    I see the CheeseheadTV GOAT poll is:
    Starr 36%
    Favre 35%
    Rodgers 26%

I imagine they have a large sample of Packer fans. What does this tell us about packerrats? Bunch of wankers still pissed off at Favre?
    My issue with Favre and why I don't think he is our GOAT is because of his tendency to throw picks. And some of these were self-inflicted and not because of pressure or getting hit.

I see the CheeseheadTV GOAT poll is:
    Starr 36%
    Favre 35%
    Rodgers 26%

I imagine they have a large sample of Packer fans. What does this tell us about packerrats? Bunch of wankers still pissed off at Favre?
    Maybe people with an ounce of common sense? In what universe is Favre better than Rodgers? Concussions gained? Concussions played with? Wrangler commercials? Cheating on his wife in a hot tub with high school girls?
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    Maybe people with an ounce of common sense? In what universe is Favre better than Rodgers? Concussions gained? Concussions played with? Wrangler commercials? Cheating on his wife in a hot tub with high school girls?
    People either don't know/believe/care about those things. They just like the Favre mystique. Rodgers ain't got it. But he's a tremendous player. Even though it's a poll of 'who's better' you can't control for the pure popularity aspect of it, nor the power the historical myths and success of the Lombardi era. It would be interesting to see how the poll changed if everyone could watch every game that each player played, in it's entirety. I'm not sure, but I suspect it would come out Rodgers>Favre>Starr.

Hard to compare these guys. I went with Favre because of the way he helped turn this franchise around when it was a butt of jokes. I think it's easy to forget how freaking awesome Favre was in 1995-96 with a pretty ordinary group of WR's.

Maybe people with an ounce of common sense? In what universe is Favre better than Rodgers?
    In the universe of Packer fan opinion Favre is the top dog. Common sense must say that this is right view: it's most common.

I agree with your opinion, though. I was just a little puzzled why Packerrats is so much more pro-Arod than rest of greater Wisconsin. Maybe we have uncommon good sense. Or we're a bunch of Favre grudge holding wankers.

In the universe of Packer fan opinion Favre is the top dog. Common sense must say that this is right view: it's most common.

I agree with your opinion, though. I was just a little puzzled why Packerrats is so much more pro-Arod than rest of greater Wisconsin. Maybe we have uncommon good sense. Or we're a bunch of Favre grudge holding wankers.
    Or both

But Cecil was like a kid out there.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Zool likes AR better than Favre. That's reason enough to be on the Favre train.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    People either don't know/believe/care about those things. They just like the Favre mystique. Rodgers ain't got it. But he's a tremendous player. Even though it's a poll of 'who's better' you can't control for the pure popularity aspect of it, nor the power the historical myths and success of the Lombardi era. It would be interesting to see how the poll changed if everyone could watch every game that each player played, in it's entirety. I'm not sure, but I suspect it would come out Rodgers>Favre>Starr.
    But those watching would have to understand how different the game was in each era and factor that in. Would Rodgers or Favre be better than Starr in his time? How would Starr do today with the rules as they are and the training methods?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

In 1996, Favre and Steve Young were the only 2 NFL QB's with a passer rating over 90. Last year there were 15. It's a much more pass-friendly game now.

dp

I voted for Rodgers. While it's tough to compare players between eras, Rodgers's meaningful stats (TD:INT and QB Rating) are superior to anyone in his own generation. I don't think you could say that about any other GB QB. The things Rodgers does well seem especially suited to the way the rules have tilted toward offense and the way offenses have evolved.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    I voted for Rodgers. While it's tough to compare players between eras, Rodgers's meaningful stats (TD:INT and QB Rating) are superior to anyone in his own generation. I don't think you could say that about any other GB QB.
    Ya, OK. But I seem to remember that Bart Starr held a record for the most consecutive passes without an interception. I couldn't find any stats about that, or career interception rates going back in time. Maybe it is a figment of my imagination, but Starr would have been highly efficient in any era.

In my fruitless google search, i hit on two interesting pages. This guy think Brett Favre is the all-time interception king among well known quarterbacks:
    https://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/ri...all-time.html/

Aaron Rodgers is the all time leader in interception percentage:
    https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-...age-119654315/

Quite a contrast.

Starr had a higher percentage of his passes intercepted than than Favre did. It's hard to compare players from different eras.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    Zool likes AR better than Favre. That's reason enough to be on the Favre train.
    Dont you have some kids to shout at in your yard?

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Starr had a higher percentage of his passes intercepted than than Favre did. It's hard to compare players from different eras.
    It’s a silly poll because there’s no definition to the question. What is the criteria for “best”. I take it to be physically and mentally superior because they are playing a sport. I didnt get to watch Starr live, and as you said in his era maybe they didn’t break down film like they do now. Rodgers is on the next plateau right now for how he reads a game. Farce (auto correct did this and I’m leaving it) was just slinging the ball and hoping for the best. Rodgers’ accuracy in my opinion can be compared to Steph Curry’s accuracy in shooting a basketball. They are both redefining what the current best is. Farve wasn’t the best QB of his generation. Rodgers is either 1 or 2, and I believe Starr would be considered in the top couple.

It’s a silly poll because there’s no definition to the question. What is the criteria for “best”. I take it to be physically and mentally superior because they are playing a sport. I didnt get to watch Starr live, and as you said in his era maybe they didn’t break down film like they do now. Rodgers is on the next plateau right now for how he reads a game. Farce (auto correct did this and I’m leaving it) was just slinging the ball and hoping for the best. Rodgers’ accuracy in my opinion can be compared to Steph Curry’s accuracy in shooting a basketball. They are both redefining what the current best is. Farve wasn’t the best QB of his generation. Rodgers is either 1 or 2, and I believe Starr would be considered in the top couple.

It’s a silly poll because there’s no definition to the question. What is the criteria for “best”.
    These GOAT polls are taken all the time and real men – manly men – manage to power through the difficulty without whining. Yes, we all know that Michael Jordan, Bill Russell and Lebron James played different positions in different eras, it is hard to compare. They were great in their own ways. To come up with a choice, you have to decide on the most important criteria, and you have to judge each within their era.

“But it’s so hard!” shriek the girly men. “I can’t do it. What is 'best'? I won’t do it! I won’t, I tell you!”

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    These GOAT polls are taken all the time and real men – manly men – manage to power through the difficulty without whining.
    lol

Yes, we all know that Michael Jordan, Bill Russell and Lebron James played different positions in different eras, it is hard to compare. They were great in their own ways. To come up with a choice, you have to decide on the most important criteria, and you have to judge each within their era.

“But it’s so hard!” shriek the girly men. “I can’t do it. What is 'best'? I won’t do it! I won’t, I tell you!”
    Wilt Chamberlain! Think about the obstacles he overcame - just competing, getting back on that horse(s) every night despite the pure exhaustion from the previous night!

Patler has made the case (and others have echoed it) that Starr often rescued the Packer offense with passing when the run game proved fruitless.

I suspect with a modern offense and training Starr would look like Montana or Brady and give any modern QB a run for their money.

Rodgers and Favre have athletic traits that are hard to match given their efficiency. I have no idea who comes out on top but Rodgers dominates in his era more than the other two except where Starr was a monster in playoff games (non era adjusted 100+ passer rating in the 1960s).