View Full Version : Official 2008 NFL Draft thread Day 2

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

GrnBay007
04-27-2008, 10:35 AM
When do the Packers pick next?

HEY, ESPN talking to TT now!!!!!!!!!

we have 3 picks in the 4th

Thanks.

Wow, that was kinda weird......TT was smiling!!!!

Rastak
Champs on the clock......

ND72
4 picks have all been from "big" schools.....where is our random Western New Mexico State School of Engineering guy?

red
04-27-2008, 10:36 AM
finely's going to be unstoppable in a couple years i think

Rastak
Giants take Manningham!

Strengths: A true playmaker at the wide receiver position. He has been one of the most productive pass catchers in college football the past three seasons. A homerun hitter both as a vertical route runner and after-the-catch. Has a knack for producing in the clutch. Is deceptively fast. It almost seems as if he lulls defenders to sleep at times. A defender will be running step-for-step with him before he turns on an extra gear as the ball begins its descent  it's a closing burst seen on film that can't be measured in a 40-yard dash time. He is able to consistently generate separation from man-coverage. Gets in and out of breaks quickly and does not need to gear down much at all. He is a savvy route runner who consistently gets DB's to bite on his smooth double-moves. Possesses a rare ability to adjust to the ball thrown over his shoulder, as well as concentration when competing for jump balls in traffic and/or near the sideline. Displays very good leaping ability and wins more jump balls than most receivers his height. He can pluck the ball naturally on the run. Gets upfield in a hurry with very little wasted motion. Is a shifty and quick runner after the catch. Displays good vision as an open-field runner, as well.

Weaknesses: Is lean with only adequate height. Needs to improve his strength and become more physical. Generally gets away with using quicks and savvy to beat the press but he will run into trouble versus bigger and stronger cover corners with good press-man technique. He would much rather work the perimeter than go over the middle. He occasionally will lose focus and will disappear from games. He is a bit of a prima-donna. He knows how talented he is so he doesn't always work at the game as passionately as he should. He has had some off-the-field issues, so monitoring his character will be important for team that drafts him. He is clearly disinterested when it comes to stalk blocking in the running game. Has almost no experience in the return game/special teams, either. He missed some time in 2006 with a knee injury and his slender build adds to the concerns for his long-term durability in the NFL.

Overall: Manningham played 12 games and made three starts as a true freshman, finishing the 2005 season with 27 receptions, 433 yards and six touchdowns. As a sophomore, he had 38 catches for 703 yards (18.5-yard receiving average) and nine TDs. Manningham played in 12 games in 2007 (he served a one-gap team-issued suspension against Eastern Michigan), logging 72 receptions for 1,174 yards and 12 TDs. His 97.8 receiving yards per game ranked first in the Big Ten and 10th in the nation. In three seasons, he also had 31 carries for 181 rushing yards. Manningham made a name for himself in college as one of the nation's most dangerous vertical threats. But there's a lot more to his game than simply catching the deep ball, which is important considering his lack of elite size and top-end speed. He is a skilled route runner with a knack for using subtle moves to separate from coverage. He also possesses good hands and run-after-catch ability. Unlike many former Michigan receivers that failed to live up to the hype in the NFL (David Terrell, Marquise Walker and Jason Avant), Manningham has the quick-twitch athleticism to translate his college production to the next level. So long as he remains motivated and stays out of trouble off the field, Manningham has the tools to emerge as a Tory Holt type weapon for the team that drafts him in the mid-to-late portion of the first round.

red
manningham to the champs

Scott Campbell
04-27-2008, 10:37 AM

Almost 20 picks. Probably an hour.

Rastak
04-27-2008, 10:38 AM
Skins take OG Rinehart:

Strengths: Has above-average initial quickness for a guard and can get into position when technique is sound. Plays with a mean streak, delivers a violent punch and can jar defenders at the point of contact. Works from the snap until the whistle and can sustain blocks once locked on. Has adequate lower body strength and flashes the ability to drive defenders. Takes sound angles to downfield blocks and can get into position at the second level. Keeps head up and generally does a good job of sliding off combo blocks to pick up linebackers. Shows good awareness in pass protection and can adjust to line stunts and blitzes. Though bends at the waist rather than the knees, has good size and can hold ground against bull rushers. Lined up at tackle in college and is somewhat versatile. While missed three games after undergoing an appendectomy in 2004 started the last 39 games of his collegiate career and is durable.

Weaknesses: Doesn't always get hands inside the defender's frame and slides off too many blocks. Takes too many false steps and has some problems preventing penetration despite quickness as a result. Plays too high and is going to have problems driving two-gap defensive tackles off the ball. Quicker than fast and while can effectively trap is going to have problems turning the corner when asked to pull. Takes to long to get set, can struggle to slide with defenders and would likely struggle if left on an island at tackle in the NFL so should move to guard. Played at a small school and there is some concern about ability to adjust to the speed at the NFL game level.

Overall: Rinehart redshirted his first season at Northern Iowa (2003). He started the first five games of his freshman season (2004) and played as a reserve in the Panthers' final three. He played a total of 47 games (44 starts) at left tackle in his four seasons ('04-'07), starting in a consecutive 39 games to close out his career. He was named a first-team All-America selection in 2007. Rinehart missed three games in '04 after undergoing laparoscopic appendectomy. Rinehart is a small-school prospect that dominated at the Division I-AA level and has the skill set to develop into an effective starting NFL guard. However, there are still concerns about his ability to make the substantial jump to the NFL and he needs to improve his footwork as well as his hand placement so he projects as a late fourth round pick or early fifth round pick.

texaspackerbacker
04-27-2008, 10:39 AM
I will never complain about a Thompson pick, but for once, he took exactly the position/exactly the guy I was hoping for.

The Leaper

I hope so.

You whined to holy hell about Nelson, red...but his average production per GAME this year compares to Finley's seasons to this point.

76 total receptions in college, 947 yards, 5 TDs.

He certainly did not dominate consistently in college. He's got a long way to go to become an unstoppable NFL TE...although he does have some excellent physical attributes.

Fritz
Giants like those Michigan receivers, I guess.

The Lions' draft seems to be getting better now. Avril seems a good pick. Two defensive linemen in this round.

My guess is that Ted will now start drafting offensive and defensive linemen in round 4.

He's got all skill positions so far. Weird. Un-Tedly.

Scott Campbell
I will never complain about a Thompson pick, but for once, he took exactly the position/exactly the guy I was hoping for.

So what do you think of PackerRats draft coverage Tex?

Rastak

I hope so.

You whined to holy hell about Nelson, red...but his average production per GAME this year compares to Finley's seasons to this point.

He certainly did not dominate consistently in college. He's got a long way to go to become an unstoppable NFL TE...although he does have some excellent physical attributes.

Nelson pick reminds me of the Vikings Burleson pick but a bit earlier.

Packnut

From your key-board to the NFL god's ears!

Yep, he's going to be a good one................

Fritz
04-27-2008, 10:41 AM

I hope so.

I think this pick's a minor gamble - you want the atheleticism and potential he has, and you hope he grows up and that McCarthy can "coach 'em up."

Bretsky
04-27-2008, 10:41 AM
Wow a pick for need. Who would have thunk it? Now nobody has anything to complain about.

Well he sure isn't a blocker.

When is the last time you can think of when we had a great athlete at TE ?
I'm not sure I can think of any

red
04-27-2008, 10:42 AM

I hope so.

He certainly did not dominate consistently in college. He's got a long way to go to become an unstoppable NFL TE...although he does have some excellent physical attributes.te is a need, wr is far from a need

and i only "whinned" about nelsons production becuase some said he was a proven player. i commented that one big year doesn't make a proven player

Rastak
Nice pick by the Bengals......Caldwell WR:

Strengths: Possesses adequate size potential and very good toughness. Displays good initial quickness. Can drive defenders off the line of scrimmage and shows the consistent ability to get open quickly. Does a solid job of finding soft spots in zone coverage. He possesses soft hands. Does a great job of adjusting to poorly thrown ball. Is able to pluck on the run and get upfield without losing much in transition. Runs hard after the catch and isn't afraid to lower his shoulder to initiate contact. He's extremely competitive and will compete for the ball in traffic. He is an aggressive receiver and stalk blocker. Gives a good effort when blocking and works to sustain. He shows good overall versatility as a receiver, including experience in the slot and split out wide, as well as on reverses. He also has experience returning kicks.

Weaknesses: Durability is a big concern due to season-ending leg injury in 2005, as well as knee and hamstring injuries in 2007. Top-end speed is good but not elite. He's quick and athletic but doesn't show good elusiveness in space. Fails to consistently make the first defender miss and doesn't shake enough tackles in the open field. He doesn't show enough creativity or explosiveness as an open-field runner. Has experience in the return game but doesn't project as an impact contributor in that facet of the NFL game.

Overall: Caldwell moved from wide receiver to quarterback as a senior in high school and led his team to a state championship. In his first four seasons at Florida (2003-'06), Caldwell appeared in 42 games (24 starts) and had 129 receptions for 1,588 yards (12.3 average) and nine touchdowns. In 2007, he had 56 catches for 761 yards (13.6 average) and seven touchdowns in 11 games (all starts). For his career, Caldwell also had 41 rushing attempts for 293 yards (7.1 average) and four TDs; two pass completions for 30 yards and a score; and 37 kickoff returns for 752 yards (20.3 average). Caldwell suffered a season-ending leg fracture in the Gators' third game of 2005 and was granted a medical redshirt. Last season he sat out two games because of a medial collateral ligament sprain in his right knee and missed much of another game because of right hamstring strain. Caldwell's brother, Reche, is a former Gator and was San Diego's second-round pick in 2002. Caldwell does not possess elite speed as a vertical route runner and he lacks ideal elusiveness as an open-field runner, which is why he's unlikely to make a huge impact in the return game. He also comes with some durability baggage. However, he knows how to get open quickly and he possesses the size, agility, hands and toughness to emerge as a very solid No. 2 or No. 3 receiver in the NFL. He projects as a second-round pick in 2008.

GrnBay007

He's probably wishing PR had political threads similar to this. :wink: :D

Fritz
Wow a pick for need. Who would have thunk it? Now nobody has anything to complain about.

David Martin?

Rastak
04-27-2008, 10:45 AM
Falcons take S Decoud:

Strengths: Possesses adequate-to-good height, bulk and straight-line speed. He's a fluid athlete for the safety position. Changes directions quickly. Shows enough quickness and athleticism to cover the deep-half when he makes the proper reads. Does a good job of matching up versus taller WR's and H-back types one-on-one. Recognition skills continue to improve with experience. Fills hard versus the run and is learning to take better angles in pursuit. Displays good power as a tackler. Blocked six kicks in first two seasons at Cal (2004-'05). Also is a big hitter on special teams both as a cover guy and blocker (see: block that sprung PR DeSean Jackson for 72-yard TD vs. UCLA in 2006).

Weaknesses: Is a smooth athlete but does not possess elite initial burst or top-end speed. Will struggle to recover from mistakes in coverage. Not able to match up one-on-one versus smaller, quicker slot receivers. Occasionally he will lead with shoulder and try to deliver the knockout blow rather than wrap up, which leads to some missed tackles. Ball skills are still very much in question. The type of DB that will get in position but won't make the big play. Knocks down some passes he should intercept. Does not always time his jumps well. He did not collect an interception in first three seasons (2004-'06) and only notched one pick in 13 games as a senior. Durability is a concern as well.

Overall: DeCoud arrived at Cal in 2003 and redshirted the year. In his first three seasons (2004-06), he played every position in the secondary and starred on special teams over 32 games (four starts), compiling 82 tackles (two for losses), three pass breakups and six blocked kicks. As a senior in 2007, he appeared in all 13 games (12 starts) and had 116 tackles (three for losses), one sack, two forced fumbles, one interception and four pass breakups. In 2006, DeCoud missed two games after suffering an MCL sprain in his right knee. In September 2005, he underwent surgery to repair a left thumb injury but missed no games. In '04, a right ankle sprain sidelined him for the season opener. DeCoud had his best season as a senior and his best football may be ahead of him. While not an elite talent, he does possess many of the physical qualities typically seen in a versatile starting safety in the NFL. DeCoud verified his athleticism by turning in a very good all-around combine performance, including a 4.50-second 40-yard dash, a 35.5 vertical jump, a 4.27-second short shuttle and a 6.85-second three cone. DeCoud may never be more than a reserve safety in the NFL but at least he has some versatility at the position. He also projects as a potential special team's standout, which gives him value early on Day 2.

red

David Martin?

this guy makes martin like like gimley the dwarf

hopefully finley can use some of that athletic talent, and learn oh to play

i still get a kick out of martin being a key loss last year

Scott Campbell
Finley's highlight reel didn't look that impressive to me. And he doesn't look 6-4 and 1/2 either.

Bretsky
04-27-2008, 10:46 AM

David Martin?

nope

Lurker64
04-27-2008, 10:46 AM
Interestingly, Finley and Nelson are close to the same size, and neither is a particularly accomplished blocker. Yet one fills a need and the other does not.

Rastak
04-27-2008, 10:47 AM
Ravens take OG Cousins - not a bad pick.....:

Strengths: Has adequate size and frame is big enough to bulk up. Has a quick first step and flashes the ability to get into position quickly. High-effort player and flashes the ability to sustain blocks. Moves well laterally and can reach defenders lined up over outside shoulder. Plays under control in space and can adjust to the moving target at the second level. Shows above-average range and can get around the corner when asked to pull. Slides well and flashes the ability to mirror defenders in pass protection. Has progressed over the past three season and all indications are will continue to improve with added experience.

Weaknesses: Moved from defensive tackle to offensive tackle in 2005 and is still somewhat raw. Takes too many false steps and has some problems getting into sound position. Plays too high and hasn't shown great lower body strength. Sets up too far inside, can lose balance when forced to change directions quickly and is vulnerable to effective double moves. Doesn't always extend once in position and arms are on the shorter side so he is going to have problems preventing edge rushers from turning the corner when lined up at tackle. Bends at the waist rather than the knees and can get driven back by bull rushers.

Overall: Cousins arrived at UTEP in 2003 and redshirted the year. He played two games at defensive tackle as a freshman (2004), then appeared in eight games as a reserve offensive tackle in 2005. He started at left tackle in the first eight games of 2005 and played in all 12. As a senior in 2007, he started all 12 games at right tackle. Cousins is a developmental prospect that is inconsistent and still learning the nuances of the position so he projects as a fifth-round pick. However, he has the tools of an NFL starter making him a sound investment for a team that's willing work with him.

Rastak
04-27-2008, 10:47 AM
Round four!

Bretsky
04-27-2008, 10:48 AM
Hate to say it, but the Cowyboys pickups look pretty awesome

pack4to84
04-27-2008, 10:48 AM
this is our round to rule.

Rastak
04-27-2008, 10:49 AM

Yea, I agree....maybe not awesome but pretty good.

MateoInMex
04-27-2008, 10:50 AM

lol.. Oh God, please no! PR is "liberal scum" reference free!

Rastak
Raiders trade up to Cowboys pick!

Raiders on the clock.

Gunakor
Interestingly, Finley and Nelson are close to the same size, and neither is a particularly accomplished blocker. Yet one fills a need and the other does not.

Nelson isn't going to block linebackers, but he will be a good downfield blocker at the WR position.

Guiness
Nice pick by the Bengals......Caldwell WR:

ESPN just announced he's demanded a trade :P :violin:

BlueBrewer
04-27-2008, 10:51 AM

what did he say

Rastak
04-27-2008, 10:51 AM
Raiders take CB Branch - Davis isn't completely senile......:

Strengths: Smooth opening hips when forced to turn and run, generally reacts well to double moves and fast enough to run with NFL receivers. Changes directions well and shows adequate short-area man-to-man cover skills. Reads quarterback's eyes and isn't afraid to come off assignment to make a play on the ball. Shows excellent range in zone coverage and can cover a deep half of the field. Plays pass to start every down and can be step slow reacting to the run but fills hard when does read run. Has experience lining up at safety and is somewhat versatile. Is a dangerous kickoff return-man, experienced at returning punts and should make immediate contributions on special teams. Started the final 30 games of collegiate career and appears to be durable.

Weaknesses: Isn't physical and gets pushed around too much for a player his size. Doesn't have great upper body strength and takes too long to shed blocks. While has excellent range doesn't take sound pursuit angles and could get to he ball more often. Doesn't deliver many big hits and is an inconsistent open field tackler that dives at the feet of ball carriers' too much. Appears to either lack ideal confidence or put too much faith in quickness because gives receivers too much of cushion before and after the snap. Lacks ideal instincts, can be too quick to bite on underneath routes and gets caught out of position at times. Can flips hips too early and has problems defending comeback routes. Doesn't attack the ball while it's in the air and isn't a playmaker in coverage. Isn't big enough to line up in the box when lined up at safety and doesn't have the frame to add considerably more bulk without sacrificing some burst.

Overall: Branch arrived at Connecticut in 2004 and contributed as a true freshman. In his first three seasons ('04-'06), he appeared in 35 games (18 starts) and had 141 tackles (4.5 for losses), three interceptions and eight pass breakups. As a senior in 2007, he started in all 13 games and had 89 tackles (three for losses), one forced fumble and 10 pass breakups. Branch was a versatile contributor who even made the Huskies' secondary calls from his cornerback position. For his career, he had 37 kickoff returns for 980 yards (26.5 average) and two touchdowns. Branch is quick enough to mirror receivers underneath, fast enough to run with receivers downfield and versatile enough to line up at safety in certain situations. In addition, he's an explosive return man. However, his adequate-at-best instincts raise a red flag, especially considering his ample experience, and he is a marginal run defender who needs to improve as a tackler. With that in mind, Branch projects as a fourth round pick.

Rastak
04-27-2008, 10:52 AM
Rams take CB King:

Strengths: Possesses adequate height, good bulk and outstanding straight-line speed. He shows a second gear when tracking the ball downfield. Has quick feet, explodes out of backpedal when coming forward and breaks on the ball well. Flashes the ability to make plays in coverage and is a dangerous open field runner. Fills hard in run support and is an adequate open field tackler. Has experience returning punts as well as kickoffs, has lined up on both sides of the ball and is versatile.

Weaknesses: Shows some stiffness in his hips and struggles to turn and run with faster receivers. Appears to lose focus at times, struggled in key matchups during senior season (see: James Hardy, Indiana) and gets beaten far too much for a player with his talent. Appears to dwell on mistakes and lose confidence at times. Lacks a great sense of timing and doesn't do a great job of getting head turned around when running with receivers downfield. Lacks elite ball skills, doesn't always fight for the ball and should make more big plays than does. Doesn't have great bulk for frame, isn't physical in coverage and has had problems matching up with bigger receivers. Lacks ideal instincts and doesn't appear to read routes well. While he has good recovery speed, he can be overaggressive and is vulnerable to double moves. Fails to deliver a powerful initial punch and doesn't do a great job of jamming receivers at the line. Takes too long to shed blocks and can get driven back.

Overall: King played in every game of his true freshman season and he started five games at wide receiver in 2005. He played on defense as well as offense and returned three kickoffs that year. King started every game of the 2006 season at cornerback finishing with 30 tackles including 22 unassisted tackles. He also recorded an interception and six pass breakups that year. King started 12 of the 13 games he appeared in during the 2007 season finishing with 49 total tackles including 36 unassisted tackles. He also recorded two interceptions and 15 pass breakups, one recovered fumble and two punt returns last year. King possesses adequate size and exceptional straight-line speed. He has flashed playmaking ability in coverage but his inconsistency is concerning. King has some tightness in his hips, which limits his NFL upside as a man-to-man cover corner. He also needs to become a more physical all-around player. With all that in mind, King projects as a second-round pick.

imscott72
04-27-2008, 10:53 AM

Yea, I agree....maybe not awesome but pretty good.

Yep on a team that was already solid. Throw in Pacman and they're the obvious favorites on paper to win the NFC..

CaliforniaCheez
Finley's highlight reel didn't look that impressive to me. And he doesn't look 6-4 and 1/2 either.

He's out early. He needs a couple of years of learning but has some potential.

He will be getting great coaching in Green Bay.

Bretsky
Good Pick by the Rams; watch out of those Rams pretty soon :lol:

imscott72

Is this a bad spot to insert, "Obama in 08!" ??? :lol:

texaspackerbacker
04-27-2008, 10:54 AM
How did the Packers get a 3rd fourth round pick?

Rastak

Compensatory pick.

K-town
Jets trade.

Okay, their own, the Ahman compensatory, and the pick from the Jets.

Rastak
04-27-2008, 10:55 AM
Packer move up!

What is this?

ND72
did we just trade up? :shock:

imscott72
Packers trade up?? NO WAY

GrnBay007

what did he say

He was asked about Brohm's injury (tissue) problem. TT said it's common in college and he's not concerned. their medical staff cleared him

He was asked about speculation Brett is having 2nd thoughts about retirement. He said Brett would have to answer that question. But talked about Brett being able to leave on his own terms.

He was asked if, in case of an emergency they would call in Brett. He said he doesn't like to comment on "what if's"

anyone? .........was there anything else?

MateoInMex

Is this a bad spot to insert, "Obama in 08!" ??? :lol:

lol

Gunakor

Trade with the New York Jets in the first round, They recieved the early second round pick they used on Jordy Nelson and this extra 4th

Lurker64
HOLY SHIT WE TRADED UP!

imscott72
Ugh NFL.com goes to commercial!!

CaliforniaCheez
04-27-2008, 10:56 AM
A trade up????

Scott Campbell

Compensatory pick.

Yeah, it was our compensation for letting Sherman overpay Ahman Green.

texaspackerbacker

Nelson isn't going to block linebackers, but he will be a good downfield blocker at the WR position.

6'2 1/2, 217 and 6'4 1/2, 253, that's close?

Fosco33
I didn't know TT knew how to trade up - he must have felt he'd lose 'his guy' at this pick - or that he has enough possible starters/returning starters and is looking for quality?

K-town
One of the signs of the Apocalypse.

sepporepi
The end is near !! :shock: :shock: :shock:

TT trades up, the sky must be falling :shock: :shock: :shock:

CaliforniaCheez
For a DE???

Rastak
Packers take Jeremy Thompson DE:

Strengths: Plays with a wide base, is stouter than size indicates and can hold ground at the point of contact when plays with sound technique. Keeps head, shows good lateral mobility when scraping down the line of scrimmage and string plays out. Takes sound pursuit angles and closes down cutback lanes. Stays disciplined and generally does a good job of sniffing out misdirection. Has quick feet and flashes an effective swim move when rushing the passer. Gets good depth and reads the quarterback's eyes when asked to drop into zone coverage. Blocked a field goal attempt in 2004 and can contribute on special teams.

Weaknesses: Stands up too much coming out of stance, lacks elite size and can get driven back at this point. Lacks ideal lower body strength, gets engulfed by double teams and struggles when teams run right at him. Takes too long to shed blocks and can avoid blockers rather than stacking them up. Takes too long to locate the ball and occasionally gets caught out of position as a result. Shows good range as a run defender but appears to gear down when sees other defenders getting to the ball carrier and effort is somewhat inconsistent. Doesn't do a great job of anticipating the snap and is step slow getting off the ball at times as a result. Lacks ideal top-end speed and is going to have problems turning the corner at the NFL level. Doesn't always drive legs once in position and isn't a powerful bull rusher. Sustained a season-ending knee injury in 2005, slowed by a shoulder injury in 2006 and durability is a concern.

Overall: Thompson was an instant contributor when he arrived at Wake Forest, collecting 66 tackles (9.5 for losses) and two sacks in 33 games (19 starts) through his first three seasons (2004-'06). In 2005, he suffered an ACL tear in his left knee and missed the Demon Deacons' final three games, and in 2006 he was slowed by a shoulder injury in the team's last four games. As a senior in 2007, he had 46 tackles (11 for losses) and 6.5 sacks. For his career, Thompson also recorded two interceptions, seven pass breakups, two forced fumbles and two blocked kicks. Thompson projects as a fourth round pick because he doesn't have prototypical speed or explosiveness and he has had some problems staying healthy. However, he moves well for his size, he has the frame to bulk up and he doesn't make many mistakes so he could develop into an adequate starter or valuable backup.

MateoInMex

They gave their #30 to the Jets in turn for the #36 and another 4th rounder.

Lurker64
Jeremy Thompson DE Wake Forest. Don't know anything about him.

Scott Campbell
04-27-2008, 10:57 AM

6'2 1/2, 217 and 6'4 1/2, 253, that's close?

I don't think Nelson will be playing TE. Thus, he won't be doing much of that kind of blocking.

texaspackerbacker

Compensatory pick.

That explains having two, but they have 113, 128, and 135.

MateoInMex
And another pinche commercial!!!!

ESPN is the fukking devil!!!!!

CaliforniaCheez
Actually Thompson was #96 on my board but what is the cost??

imscott72
04-27-2008, 10:58 AM
OT Levi Jones wants out of Cincy..Would love him on our team.

Jones asks Bengals for a trade out of Cincinnati
By Adam Schefter | NFL Network

Levi Jones, OT
Cincinnati Bengals

Career Statistics
GMs/GS: 84/79
Turns out Chad Johnson is not the only Bengal that has asked to be traded.

Former first-round pick Levi Jones recently asked the Bengals to trade him, though his issues have nothing to do with money. The offensive tackle has disagreements with Cincinnati's coaching staff.

As they did with Johnson, the Bengals told Jones they wouldn't trade him.

If Jones remains in Cincinnati, as the Bengals insist, he is not expected to attend the team's voluntary workouts. He will attend their mandatory functions, but he would like to be traded, a feeling he has voiced to the organization.

Fosco33
I'm glad they picked up a DE. I'd still like to see an OLB, RB or Safety.

Lurker64

Compensatory pick.

That explains having two, but they have 113, 128, and 135.

The other we got for trading 30 to the Jets. I wonder what we gave up for this trade to get this new guy.

Tarlam!

Compensatory pick.

Wrong. A normal draft pick.

Gunakor
04-27-2008, 10:59 AM
For a DE???

KGB isn't going to be around much longer. I'm not completely sold on Cullen Jenkins at DE either. At the very least, it provides depth on the line so they can rotate players and keep fresh bodies in the game. Think of all of the 4th quarter sacks our defense got last season due to the rotation of players on the line. I like the pick.

texaspackerbacker

Trade with the New York Jets in the first round, They recieved the early second round pick they used on Jordy Nelson and this extra 4th

Thanks, I forgot that.

Rastak

Compensatory pick.

at 36? Compensatory picks go last...how's that work out?

We are talking their last pick in 4, right?

red
04-27-2008, 11:00 AM
what the hell?

how did we get that pick?

we sure as hell didn't trade up. did we trade a player?

Rastak
04-27-2008, 11:00 AM
Titans take DE Hayes, no Bio available.....

GoPackGo
04-27-2008, 11:01 AM
Jeremy Thompson
Selected by: Green Bay Packers
Round: 4
Pick (Overall): 3(102)
DE | (6'4", 264, 4.75) | WAKE FOREST

Overall: Thompson was an instant contributor when he arrived at Wake Forest, collecting 66 tackles (9.5 for losses) and two sacks in 33 games (19 starts) through his first three seasons (2004-'06). In 2005, he suffered an ACL tear in his left knee and missed the Demon Deacons' final three games, and in 2006 he was slowed by a shoulder injury in the team's last four games. As a senior in 2007, he had 46 tackles (11 for losses) and 6.5 sacks. For his career, Thompson also recorded two interceptions, seven pass breakups, two forced fumbles and two blocked kicks. Thompson projects as a fourth round pick because he doesn't have prototypical speed or explosiveness and he has had some problems staying healthy. However, he moves well for his size, he has the frame to bulk up and he doesn't make many mistakes so he could develop into an adequate ..

Gunakor
04-27-2008, 11:01 AM
what the hell?

No we traded up. Odd eh?

Rastak
04-27-2008, 11:02 AM
Cowboys trade again.......Browns on the clock.

cap360
what di we give up to move up?

Scott Campbell
What did we give up in this trade?

Scott Campbell
04-27-2008, 11:03 AM

Good question.

Rastak
Browns take LB Bell:

Strengths: Reads keys, locates the ball carrier quickly and rarely gets caught out of position. Aggressive, has good initial quickness and makes plays behind the line of scrimmage. Tough, shows a strong punch, uses hands well and can shed blocks quickly. Works from whistle to snap, takes sound angles to the ball and makes big plays in pursuit. Shows good awareness and reads quarterback's eyes when asked to drop into zone coverage. Showed improved ball skills during senior season and can make the occasional big play in coverage. Uses an effective swim move to get past blockers quickly, shows good closing speed and is a relentless pass rusher. Protects legs and can get over cut blocks. Wraps up upon contact and is a reliable open field tackler that flashes the ability to knock the ball loose.

Weaknesses: Occasionally allows blockers to get under pads, hasn't shown elite lower body strength and can get driven back when teams run right at him. Fast enough to run with most tight ends or backs but appears stiff in coverage, takes too long to open hips and is vulnerable to getting beat deep when put on an island. Slowed by a groin injury in 2005, missed four games with a sprained ankle in 2006 and sustained a knee injury during Senior Bowl practice so durability is a concern.

Overall: Bell appeared in 29 games in his first three seasons at UNLV (2004-'06), registering 194 tackles (17.5 for losses) and 7.5 sacks. As a senior, Bell started all 12 games at weak-side linebacker and finished the season with 126 tackles (9.5 for losses), three sacks, five forced fumbles, three pass breakups and four interceptions (one of which he returned for a touchdown). He was hindered by a groin injury early in the 2005 season and missed five games in 2006 because of an ankle sprain. Bell's lack of prototypical athletic ability and problems staying healthy can't be ignored. However, he's an instinctive run defender who tackles reliably, can get to the quarterback when asked to blitz and can hold his own in zone coverage so he projects as a fourth round pick.

imscott72

It appears we swapped 4th rounders with the Jets..

Scott Campbell
04-27-2008, 11:04 AM
what the hell?

No we traded up. Odd eh?

I think it's odd that people presumed Ted would never do this. I figured he might, when the right deal came along.

GoPackGo
04-27-2008, 11:04 AM
it might have been part of the deal that moved us out of the 1st round?

texaspackerbacker
04-27-2008, 11:05 AM
We still have the other 3 fourth rounders after the trade.

I don't really like the pick, though. I don't really think we need a DE, and this guy doesn't sound very good--not much speed/sacks, an old ACL problem.

imscott72
traded our 113 for their 102

Fosco33

Packers.com is not updated yet. ESPN shows us still owning the 113, 128 and 135 picks.

Rastak
04-27-2008, 11:06 AM
KC takes Franklin, WR:

Strengths: Possesses good size and excellent top-end speed. A vertical threat with the acceleration to get over the top of man-to-man coverage. Shows good closing burst when the ball is in the air and also does a fine job of locating the deep ball over his shoulder. Flashes the ability to pluck the ball on the run and is a homerun threat when he finds a crease after the catch. Is tough and does not appear to be afraid of going over the middle. Shows the ability to take a big hit and hold onto the ball. He gives a good effort as a run blocker and has the size/strength to outmuscle most DB's once locked on.

Weaknesses: Needs to improve his intermediate route-running skills. Not a crisp route runner and takes too long getting in and out of breaks. Needs to be more consistent using his hands as a receiver rather than allowing it to get into his pads. He's very fast but not overly elusive in space. Durability is a concern after tearing his labrum in his shoulder against Iowa in 2006. He missed the final two games of the season recovering from surgery.

Overall: In his first three seasons at Missouri (2004-'06), Franklin played in 34 games (22 starts) and had 94 receptions for 1,416 yards (15.1 average) and nine touchdowns. He tore the labrum in his right shoulder in 2006 and underwent surgery that kept him out for the Tigers' final two games. He started all 14 games as a senior, posting 49 receptions for 709 yards (14.5 average) and four touchdowns. Franklin is an underrated deep-threat with good size, excellent speed and improving hands. While his numbers dipped last year he showed no ill effects from the shoulder injury and stayed healthy during the 2007 season, so he projects as a fourth-to-fifth round pick

imscott72

Packers.com is not updated yet. ESPN shows us still owning the 113, 128 and 135 picks.

nfl.com was scrolling the Jets in our 113 slot now..

SkinBasket

And our 5th.

Gunakor

I don't really like the pick, though. I don't really think we need a DE, and this guy doesn't sound very good--not much speed/sacks, an old ACL problem.

I think he was added for depth. You'd be happy to grab a starting caliber player at this point in the draft, but mostly you are looking for depth. He'll be fine spelling Kampy once and a while.

Fosco33
04-27-2008, 11:07 AM

why would they just swap? has to be a later pick, a guy or cash...

Bretsky

Compensatory pick.

They have 3 fourths because

One is their normal 4th
One was added when they traded out of found one
One was a compensatory pick from last year's free agency

Tarlam!

Compensatory pick.

at 36? Compensatory picks go last...how's that work out?

We are talking their last pick in 4, right?

Sorry, I misread the question. I missed 3rd "fourth". I just saw 3rd.

Fuck it, Johnnie is taking over again.... :roll:

imscott72

Yep our 5th was thrown in..

ND72
We also gave Jets our 5th round pick

Swapped 4ths & gave them a 5th

red
it might have been part of the deal that moved us out of the 1st round?

no, i think we would have known about that

Lurker64
04-27-2008, 11:08 AM

We presumably traded our 113 and something else for 102. The question is "what is that something else". Teams don't usually give up draft position because you ask nicely.

Rastak

Compensatory pick.

They have 3 fourths because

One is their normal 4th
One was added when they traded out of found one
One was a compensatory pick from last year's free agency

Right I though he was asking about their last pick which can't e traded.

ND72

Yep our 5th was thrown in..

Which means our next 4th rounder will be traded down to the 5th for a 5th & 6th since we don't have a pick in either round :lol: 8-)

Lurker64
04-27-2008, 11:09 AM

Ah, okay. So we have two more fourths, and a seventh, and that's it. Ted's not going to make double digits this year.

red
i bet you we get a 5th back soon

Scott Campbell

But we had to give up more than that. We moved up 11 spots. I'm wondering what it cost us.

Rastak
Ravens take WR Marcus Smith:

trengths: Has adequate top-end seed and can stretch the field. Shows excellent body control, uses frame to shield defenders from the ball and flashes the ability to make the spectacular catch. Flashes the ability to make the first defender miss, is a strong open field runner that can pick up yards after contact and can produce after the catch. Is a competitor and has a knack for making plays at critical points in the game. Plays with a mean streak and is a willing blocker that can sustain when gets into sound position. Has experience returning kickoffs, is an adequate open field tackler that has experience covering kicks, has a knack for downing punts inside the opponent's ten-yard line and can contribute on special teams. Moved from tailback to receiver during red-shirt year, made steady progress at receiver over the course of the next four years and should continue to get better with added experience.

Weaknesses: Hands are inconsistent, appears to lose focus at times and drops too many passes that should catch. Rounds cuts off and doesn't run crisp short-to-intermediate routes at this point. Doesn't explode out of cuts and is going to have a harder time separating from man coverage at the NFL level. Is too late getting head turned around at times and lacks elite awareness. Isn't fast enough to outrun NFL defenses when gets a seam, lacks elite elusiveness and isn't much of a big-play threat after the catch.

Overall: Smith moved from running back to wide receiver during his 2003 redshirt season. He appeared in 13 games in his first two seasons (2004-'05), contributing a combined nine receptions for 89 yards (9.9 average). He cracked the starting lineup as a junior, appearing in 13 games (12 starts) and finishing the season with 53 catches for 859 yards (16.2 average) and nine touchdowns. Smith had a breakout senior year, turning in 7.0 receptions per game (15th in the country) and 86.5 receiving yards per game (24th) in 13 games (all starts). He finished the season with totals of 91 receptions for 1,125 yards (12.4 average) and four TDs. For his career, he also had 54 rushing attempts for 323 yards (6.0 average) and another five scores, plus 68 kickoff returns for 1,353 yards (19.9 average). Smith is a raw route-runner who lacks elite explosiveness and can struggle to make what should be routine catches but he does have some upside because of his top-end speed, body control and toughness. In addition, he has a chance to develop into an excellent special teams' player so he projects as an early fifth round or possibly fourth round pick.

Bretsky
9. JEREMY THOMPSON
Wake Forest 6-4½ 267 4.76

Underwent reconstructive knee surgery in '05. "He's just now starting to round into form," Beddingfield said. "His best football is ahead of him. His workout was great. Looks the part of a D-end in the NFL." Registered 8½ sacks and 110 tackles in 46 games (32 starts). "Hard worker, sculpted, no fat," Gruden said. "He's not a real athletic guy but he is a hard player. He'll start at left end. Probably like Kampman, that kind of guy." Older brother Orrin is backup tackle for Green Bay.

CaliforniaCheez
Hunter and Montgomery can start to sweat.

Harlan Huckleby
04-27-2008, 11:10 AM

I think he was added for depth. You'd be happy to grab a starting caliber player at this point in the draft, but mostly you are looking for depth. He'll be fine spelling Kampy once and a while.

nah, you don't draft players unless you think they can become starters.

I agree with Tex, this guy sounds unpromising. I guess with positions like DE and CB, it's hard to get excited by picks after the third round. KGB was a bizarre exception, usually those positions require such athletic ability that the good ones are gone early.

Scott Campbell

So we gave them a 5th to move up 11 spots in the 4th. I'm guessing that one wouldn't work out on the draft pick value chart.

Rastak
49ers take C Wallace:

Strengths: Gets adequate hand placement, locks onto defender's frame and can sustain once in position. Plays with good leverage for a player as tall as him and does an adequate job of getting under defender's pads. Has a mean streak and never stops working. Plays with a wide base, has active feet and flashes the ability to redirect in pass protection. Gets adequate knee bend in pass set and can hold ground against bull rushers despite size. Keeps head on a swivel and looks to help guards when no one comes to him. Puts good zip on the ball and rarely makes quarterback adjust to it when shotgun snapping. Though lacks ideal bulk for an NFL guard has the frame to comfortably add weight and could eventually provide depth there.

Weaknesses: Hasn't shown great lower body strength and is going to have problems driving two-gap defenders off the ball. Doesn't deliver a violent initial punch and isn't going to knock many defenders back. Takes some false steps, isn't quick enough to get into position when footwork is sloppy and can have problems preventing penetration. Doesn't extend arms and frequently bails too early when combo blocking up to the second level. Doesn't take sound angles to blocks, lacks the quick feet to adjust to moving targets in space and struggles to get into position at the second level. Lunges and loses balance at times. Can recognize blitz but gets caught flatfooted when isn't engaged with a defender and has some problems adjusting.

Overall: Wallace was redshirted in 2003 and appeared in four games as a freshman in 2004. He went on to play in 36 consecutive games (all starts) over the next three seasons (2005-'07) to close out his career. Wallace was a backup guard in '04 before moving to center in '05. Wallace is a little too light and his footwork is still inconsistent at this point but he has the strong upper body, frame, tenacity and smarts to develop into an excellent backup or capable starter in time. He projects as a fourth or fifth round pick.

sepporepi
Let's get rid of the 7th rounder too :lol:

I bet TT wants to jump start talking to the undrafted guys :lol:

Deputy Nutz
04-27-2008, 11:11 AM
Thompson is another so called "need" pick. At least I call it a need pick. I wasn't happy with the overall play at defensive end last year, especially after week 12. They got nothing on the left side with Jenkins and KGB after the Dallas game.

imscott72

Ah, okay. So we have two more fourths, and a seventh, and that's it. Ted's not going to make double digits this year.

I don't think we really need double digits this year. Find a good OL and maybe a RB and I think we're set.

red

We presumably traded our 113 and something else for 102. The question is "what is that something else". Teams don't usually give up draft position because you ask nicely.

by the trade value chart i would think its our 128 pick and our 5th

we keep 113

Rastak
04-27-2008, 11:12 AM

by the trade value chart i would think its our 128 pick and our 5th

we keep 113

Nope.

texaspackerbacker
If he gave up the 5th rounder to move up 11 places, I don't like that--especially since he did it to pick a guy/position I don't like.

red
well, maybe it was 113 and the 5th

CaliforniaCheez
I bet one of the fourth rounders is traded down for a 6th rounder.

Harlan Huckleby
04-27-2008, 11:13 AM
Thompson is another so called "need" pick. At least I call it a need pick. I wasn't happy with the overall play at defensive end last year, especially after week 12. They got nothing on the left side with Jenkins and KGB after the Dallas game.

Sounds like a long shot that he will better than Jenkins.

I think its more of a flyer pick than a need pick.

BlueBrewer
04-27-2008, 11:13 AM
when is our next pick

red
04-27-2008, 11:14 AM

i agree this was a need pick

kgb could be cut any year now, and if this guy pans out it could be this year

Rastak
Denver takes C Lichtensteiger - say that 5 times fast:

Strengths: Delivers a violent punch, gets adequate hand placement and locks on once in position. Gets under defenders pads, drives legs and shows decent lower body strength as a run blocker. Has a mean streak, works from snap until whistle and can put defenders on their backs. Shows adequate footwork as a run blocker and flashes the ability to reach defenders lined over outside shoulder. Takes sound angles to blocks and can get into position at the second level. Shows decent range, is always looking to hit someone downfield and flashes the ability to pull effectively. Gets adequate not great zip on shotgun snaps and is fairly accurate when asked to shotgun snap. Reads defenses well, makes sound line calls and is a leader. Played with a torn labrun during the 2006 season and is a team player with great toughness.

Weaknesses: Doesn't have an explosive first step and is going to have problems keeping upper echelon one-gap defenders out of the backfield. Bends at the waist rather than the knees, plays too high when pass blocking and can get pushed back into the quarterback. Can slide with defenders and ride them down the line but doesn't maintain a wide base, struggles to change directions quickly and is vulnerable to double moves. Over commits at times and lacks the foot speed to recover so has some problems picking up line stunts and blitzes. Tore labrum in left shoulder in 2006 and underwent shoulder surgery during the 2007 off-season.

Overall: Lichtensteiger was redshirted in 2003, but he was in the Falcons' lineup for the season opener a year later and went on to play and start in every game over the next four seasons (2004-'07). He began his college career as a left guard, eventually moving to center as a junior (2006). That season Lichensteiger tore the labrum in his left shoulder but played through the injury, which required offseason surgery. Lichensteiger's lack of burst prevents him from being an elite center prospect but he has the tenacity, power and smart to develop into a quality starter so he projects as a fifth-round pick.

Rastak
when is our next pick

Scott Campbell

I think Ted saw something here. He seems to have given up an awful lot to move up 11 spots this late in the draft.

GoPackGo
Its interesting that Tennessee took William Hayes (DE) from Win Salem with the next pick. We moved up because TT thought Tennessee was going to take Thompson

Deputy Nutz
04-27-2008, 11:15 AM
That white kid from Gardner-Webb is still available at defensive end. Brian Johnson, 6-5 275 4.66

Scott Campbell
04-27-2008, 11:15 AM
Has anyone done the point comparisons on our two trades?

Rastak
04-27-2008, 11:16 AM

Using which chart though, this year there are two floating around.

Scott Campbell
04-27-2008, 11:16 AM
Either would be fine I'm guessing.

Rastak
04-27-2008, 11:17 AM
Eagles take OG McGlynn:

Strengths: Plays with good balance and leverage. Is technically sound and does a great job with hand placement. Very consistent with his first step and angles. Shows adequate-to-good overall strength. Drives his legs as a run blocker and works hard to sustain once he has locked on. He can generate a push as a drive blocker versus most DE's. Shows the base to anchor versus powerful bull rushers. Experienced, durable and reliable; enters 2007 season with a streak of 31 consecutive starts. High motor player with passion for the game. Has versatility because of experience as a long-snapper on PATs and FGs.

Weaknesses: Limited athletically. Lacks good quickness and struggles versus top speed rushers. Does not set quickly enough to prevent elite pass rushers from turning the corner. Size is adequate but not good. Is tough and has adequate overall strength, but he lacks explosive power to jar defenders with hand punch. Lacks ideal wingspan. Might be better suited to play guard in the NFL.

Overall: McGlynn arrived at Pittsburgh in 2003 and was redshirted. In his first three seasons (2004-'06), he played in 35 games (including 31 consecutive starts) at right tackle. He moved to right guard as a senior, but was shifted back to tackle after the Panthers' first three games. He played all 12 games (11 starts) in 2007, but he didn't start the opener because he was hampered by the affects of offseason surgery to repair the labrum in his left shoulder. McGlynn played through the injury during the second half of the 2006 season. McGlynn has just decent size and he's not a great athlete, which is why his best fit in the NFL should be inside at guard where he's better protected. However, he is a durable, technically sound, tough and experienced prospect that loves playing the game of football. His versatility as a long-snapper also adds to his draft value. McGlynn may wind up becoming a good value in the middle of Day 2 as a reserve that could back up right tackle and both guard spots in the NFL.

Scott Campbell
04-27-2008, 11:18 AM
46 picks in 2 hours and 15 minutes.

texaspackerbacker
Danny Woodhead? the guy they are talking about now? I'd take him --sounds like another Travis Jervey to me.

Fosco33

But we had to give up more than that. We moved up 11 spots. I'm wondering what it cost us.

So we traded our #30 for the Jets #36 and #113. (So Jets used a 4th rounder to move up 6 spots to late 1st Round).

Then the Pack trades the newly acquired 113 (from the Jets) for the Jets 102 for a 162. (So Pack used a 5th to move up 11 spots in 4th Round).

Pack gave #30 and #162 for #36 and #102. 620+26.6 for 540+92 - losing out a little bit on this trade (value of a high 7th rounder).

CaliforniaCheez
04-27-2008, 11:19 AM

The Packers always lose out a little.

Trading down with Jets in the 2nd round was 80 points but they got 62 back.

It costs by the chart but that's how to entice the trade.

Scott Campbell
04-27-2008, 11:20 AM

So we traded our #30 for the Jets #36 and #113. (So Jets used a 4th rounder to move up 6 spots to late 1st Round).

Then the Pack trades the newly acquired 113 (from the Jets) for the Jets 102 for a 162. (So Pack used a 5th to move up 11 spots in 4th Round).

Pack gave #30 and #162 for #36 and #102. 620+26.6 for 540+92 - losing out a little bit on this trade (value of a high 7th rounder).

Interesting. Thanks for doing the math!

Rastak
Bears trade down.....

Deputy Nutz

I didn't comment that he was going to be better or worse. That is stupid, I don't know the guy from Adam. I didn't comment that Jordy Nelson was going to be better than any wide outs on the roster currently, I didn't comment if Brohm would be better than Rodgers, same goes for Lee. I don't think these picks are made to replace anyone in particular. At least not in 2008. Nelson could and probably will take the place of either Robinson or Martin, most likely Robinson, but that is just because of the overall numbers already at the position.

Rastak
04-27-2008, 11:21 AM
Phins take OG Murphy:

Strengths: Is tall with good bulk for his frame. Displays quick feet. Gets set quickly in pass pro and shows the ability to mirror and slide versus quicker pass rushers. Has a quick first step and can consistently get in position as a run blocker. Displays good range and can hit the moving target on the second level.

Weaknesses: Is too much of a finesse player. Is not physical or tough enough for our liking. Lacks explosive power and does not show the ability to jar defenders with his hand punch. Does not get enough of a push in the run game. Needs to improve his footwork and hand placement. Awareness in pass pro is inconsistent. Plays with a narrow base and struggles to anchor versus more powerful bull rushers.

Overall: Murphy went on a religious mission in Brazil from 2003-04. He enrolled and played one season at Dixie State CC in 2005. He transferred to Utah State in 2006 and went on to start in all 24 games for the Aggies as a junior and senior. A high school defensive end, Murphy played at left tackle in '06 before being moved to left guard in '07. He is the son of former Atlanta Braves outfielder Dale Murphy. Murphy played tackle at Utah State but projects as a guard in the NFL. He is a position-and-wall-off type blocker with good size and agility but marginal strength and toughness. Murphy has late-round value as a developmental project for teams willing to sacrifice power for agility.

Chubbyhubby
04-27-2008, 11:22 AM
Finely Bio :

Compares To: RANDY McMICHAEL-St. Louis … Some compare him to Browns' tight end Kellen Winslow, but Finley lacks the burst and explosion off the snap that Winslow displays when eating up the defender's cushion. Finley will bring instant value in a double-tight end package, as he can line up in the slot, wide or in motion. He lacks the bulk and strength to be a punishing blocker, but has the frame to eventually develop. He might have the best hands of any tight end in this draft.

GrnBay007
04-27-2008, 11:22 AM
jeez you guys, can't even take a potty break here and you guys got 2-3 pages ahead. :P

Rastak
04-27-2008, 11:23 AM
Cowboys trade down yet again....Browns on the clock.

ND72
04-27-2008, 11:24 AM
Browns trading next years draft for 4th rounders today? :lol:

Side note, Campbell, Safety from Army....I wouldn't mind grabbing him. 6'1" 238, 4.38 speed at Safety.

GoPackGo
04-27-2008, 11:24 AM
we have 2 more 4th round picks and one 7th round pick.
my guess is TT goes OL next

Rastak
04-27-2008, 11:25 AM
Browns take TE Rucker:

Strengths: An H-back prospect with adequate-to-good height and the frame to add some bulk. He is a smooth athlete for the position. Can occasionally stretch the seam as a receiver and will create some mismatches versus slower LB's. Shows the ability to catch over his head. He displays mostly reliable hands. He's a fluid route runner with a good feel for setting up man-to-man defenders and for finding soft spots in zone. Will pick up more yards-after-catch than most TE's. Shows good initial quickness and also will carry defenders for extra yards at the end of runs. He's a position and wall-off type of blocker. Takes solid angles and generally gets in good position. Has long arms and uses them to keep separation once locked on. At his best in space as a blocker. Extremely durable athlete.

Weaknesses: Is undersized and must add bulk to his frame. Not very physical. Gets overmatched by bigger, stronger DE's when working as an in-line blocker. Not used in-line very often in spread scheme. Has a narrow base and struggles to anchor at the point of attack. Also doesn't have much experience working against the jam from the in-line position. Doesn't play to timed speed. Is fluid and athletic but lacks the type of burst that elite pass-catching TE's in the NFL possess. Will occasionally drop passes he should catch  focus is a bit inconsistent, especially if he's being lined up for a big hit by a defender.

Overall: Rucker was redshirted in 2003. In his first three seasons (2004-'06), he started every game (36) and notched 119 receptions for 1,341 yards (11.3 average) and 10 touchdowns. Rucker underwent arthroscopic surgery on the labrum in his right shoulder in 2004 but did not miss any playing time. As a senior, he was a focal point of the Tigers' offense, racking up 84 receptions for 834 yards (9.9 average) and eight touchdowns in 14 games. He led the nation's tight ends in receptions per game (6.0) in 2007, broke the school mark for catches in a season and finished his career having started in all 50 games, another Missouri record. For his career, he also had 16 rushing attempts for 56 yards and showed special teams value, with nine tackles. He is the younger brother of Carolina Panthers defensive end Mike Rucker. Rucker has tremendous experience and there's no questioning his production at the highest collegiate level. He has room on his frame to add bulk but he is essentially an overgrown wide receiver that spent most of his time flexed out in Missouri's spread offense. Until he gets bigger, stronger and more physical as a blocker, he can only be considered an H-back by NFL standards. Plus, while he improved his feet over the course of the last year, Rucker still comes up short in terms of explosiveness and doesn't play as fast as his 40-time might indicate. As such, Rucker has value for teams in search of a No. 2 pass-catching type, but not before the third round.

Scott Campbell
jeez you guys, can't even take a potty break here and you guys got 2-3 pages ahead. :P

In the 2nd and 4th rounds, you better keep a bed pan in your draft room.

CaliforniaCheez

Fill your empties at the computer.

Just drink from the cold ones not the warm ones.

imscott72
Cowboys trade down yet again....Browns on the clock.

I hate to say it, but do the Cowboys have any needs left?

oregonpackfan
04-27-2008, 11:26 AM

I suspect some of those guys keep an empty milk jug by their recliners so they won't miss draft action for a "potty break." :)

GrnBay007
04-27-2008, 11:27 AM

Ewww!!!

:P

Bretsky
04-27-2008, 11:27 AM

Gotta stay away from the toys everytime you head in there; bills for batteries get too high :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rastak
04-27-2008, 11:28 AM
Wow, Brwons gave up a 3 next year to get Rucker...Cowboys kinda fleeced them.

GrnBay007

I suspect some of those guys keep an empty milk jug by their recliners so they won't miss draft action for a "potty break." :)

LOL I guess I'm a "rookie" ....and a milk jug wouldn't work so well. :wink:

Bretsky

He's probably looking for trade down partners

Draft IKE in round 7 !!

Lurker64
04-27-2008, 11:29 AM
Browns trading next years draft for 4th rounders today? :lol:

Side note, Campbell, Safety from Army....I wouldn't mind grabbing him. 6'1" 238, 4.38 speed at Safety.

Plus, if you draft him then he doesn't have to go to Iraq. I imagine Green Bay is, in almost every way, preferable to Iraq.

Rastak
Benglas take OT Collins - finally off the board:

Strengths: Possesses an outstanding frame and has added bulk. Is tall with long arms (35 inches) and big hands (10.2 inches). Can get set quickly in pass pro. Has long arms to ride pass rushers wide. When set properly, he will do a good job of anchoring versus the bull rush. Displays adequate initial quickness. Stays under control in space and will do a good job of hitting the moving target so long as he's in position in time. Struggles to reach second-level in time and winds up lunging too frequently. Has some upside if he's willing to work at getting stronger and more technically sound at the next level.

Weaknesses: Not a natural knee bender. Comes out of his stance too high. Does not show the lateral agility to consistently mirror-and-slide versus double move in pass pro. Plays too high and needs to learn to use more consistent leverage. His footwork is sloppy. Not aggressive enough in pass pro and absorbs too much. Very inconsistent.

Overall: Collins redshirted in 2004 before playing eight games and making one start as a freshman in 2005. He started 12 games at right tackle as a sophomore, before moving to left tackle as a junior. In 2007, he made 11 starts, missing one game (and coming off the bench in another) because of a minor ankle injury. Collins was selected as an Associated Press first-team All-American and Outland Trophy finalist in his final season. Collins will likely need at least a year of polishing before he's ready to contribute in the NFL. His footwork is spotty, he must improve his explosive power and  most importantly  he needs to play with more consistent leverage. However, Collins is still worth considering in the late-second to third round range simply because his combination of frame and feet cannot be taught. If developed properly, Collins can emerge as a solid starting tackle (probably better suited at ROT in the NFL) a year or two from now.

Bretsky
Wow, Brwons gave up a 3 next year to get Rucker...Cowboys kinda fleeced them.

Yup; ditto on the Brady Quinn deal last year as well

Gunakor
04-27-2008, 11:30 AM

Draft IKE in round 7 !!

I'd take a chance on him in round 7. He certainly can't be any worse than around 25 or so other 7th round picks who won't even make thier team.

Tarlam!

Ewww!!!

Seven, you are such a girl. I sent Carin home at 9:30 this morning so I wouldn't be pestered by girly questions, like "What is a WR?"

GrnBay007
piggy (B)---> :butt: <---007

GoPackGo
04-27-2008, 11:31 AM

Draft IKE in round 7 !!

is Ike ever going to play again?

CaliforniaCheez
04-27-2008, 11:31 AM

Ewww!!!

Seven, you are such a girl. I sent Carin home at 9:30 this morning so I wouldn't be pestered by girly questions, like "What is a WR?"

Wedding Ring

Rastak
04-27-2008, 11:32 AM
Jets take CB Lowrey:

Strengths: Changes directions fairly well, shows adequate burst coming out of cuts and has decent short-area man-to-man cover skills. Shows good awareness in space and can hold up well when in zone or man-cushion coverage. Reads quarterbacks' eyes well and will get a consistently good jump on the ball. Displays exceptional instincts, has great ball skills and a playmaker. Closes quickly on the ball in front of him and aggressively attacks the ball in the air. Uses good leverage and shows good burst out of back pedal. Has above-average leaping ability, does a good job of timing his jumps and competes for jump balls.

Weaknesses: Only two full seasons at DI-A level prior, doesn't match up against top wide receiver talent in the WAC and there is some concern about ability to adjust to the speed of the game at the NFL level. Doesn't have prototypical top-end speed and is going to have a much harder time turning and running with receivers at the NFL level. Upper body strength is marginal, doesn't deliver a powerful punch and doesn't reroute receivers at the line. Bulk is adequate but can get pushed around and could stand to get a bit bigger. Effort in run support is only decent. Struggles to get off of blocks and is a drag-down tackler that can have problems bringing stronger runners to the ground. Missed five games with a hand injury in 2005, fractured jaw during 207 spring practices and durability is a concern.

Overall: Lowery attended Cabrillo CC (Aptos, Calif.) in 2004 and 2005, appearing in 15 games (all starts) and collecting 95 tackles, 13 interceptions (two of which he returned for touchdowns), seven pass breakups and two blocked kicks. He also averaged 30.0 yards and had a score on 10 kickoff returns, and ran back his only punt return 18 yards for a TD during that period. Lowery transferred to San Jose State in 2006 and started all 13 games for the Spartans in his first season, recording 48 tackles, nine interceptions and seven pass breakups. As a senior in 2007, he started all 12 games and had 44 tackles, four interceptions and seven pass breakups. He also had 24 punt returns for 315 yards (13.1 average) and a touchdown in two years at San Jose State. In '05, Lowery missed the Seahawks' last five games because of a hand injury. In '07 he suffered a fractured jaw in the spring and had his mouth wired shut for seven weeks. Lowery is a proven playmaker with the size, instincts and ball skills to develop into a starting cornerback for a team that plays primarily in zone coverage. However, he doesn't have great top-end speed and he has against premiere collegiate receivers on a weekly basis so transitioning to the NFL could prove difficult.

GrnBay007

give me a little credit T :shock:

Bretsky

Draft IKE in round 7 !!

He will not play in 08; but he'll be back in 09. IMO he's a second round pick when healthy. But he had a nasty nasty tear. Worth a shot in round 7. Pay for his surgery, and monitor his entire rehab process.

red
04-27-2008, 11:33 AM
interview with millen

hot blonde chick- tell as about your draft mat

millen-aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, duh?

GoPackGo
04-27-2008, 11:34 AM

Draft IKE in round 7 !!

He will not play in 08; but he'll be back in 09. IMO he's a second round pick when healthy. But he had a nasty nasty tear. Worth a shot in round 7. Pay for his surgery, and monitor his entire rehab process.

isn't it likely that he won't get drafted and we could sign him without using a 7th on him?

GrnBay007
I missed that last part about how the Packers got that last pick. Did anyone figure it out....did he trade up?

cpk1994

Draft IKE in round 7 !!

isn't it likely that he won't get drafted and we could sign him without using a 7th on him?Yes.

SkinBasket
isn't it likely that he won't get drafted and we could sign him without using a 7th on him?

Well, so could any other team then.

Rastak
04-27-2008, 11:35 AM

Draft IKE in round 7 !!

Then anyone can sign him, if you want him, take him. That those 7th rounders are for.

MateoInMex

That's why I bring my laptop with me.

red
I missed that last part about how the Packers got that last pick. Did anyone figure it out....did he trade up?

yes, traded 113 and our 5th rounder to move up

wpony
I just poped in and noticed that Dennis Dixon is still on the board do you think if he is still on the board with one of our 4th rd picks we should pick him up give us more training camp material and if he is back where he was he might even beat Brohm out and we could trade either one of them maybe for a 2nd next YR if we kept them till someone need a QB in a pinch this YR.

GoPackGo

Well, so could any other team then.

good point

Lurker64
04-27-2008, 11:36 AM

Yes. Ted Traded his highest fourth round pick (that he initially got from the Jets via the first trade), and his fifth round pick to move up 11 spots in the fourth.

Tarlam!
interview with millen

hot blonde chick- tell as about your draft mat

millen-aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, duh?

He did OK, Red. You're bein' a homer.

Rastak
Bills take a corner named Reggie Corner - No Bio.

Lurker64
04-27-2008, 11:37 AM
I just poped in and noticed that Dennis Dixon is still on the board do you think if he is still on the board with one of our 4th rd picks we should pick him up give us more training camp material and if he is back where he was he might even beat Brohm out and we could trade either one of them maybe for a 2nd next YR if we kept them till someone need a QB in a pinch this YR.

I can't see is grabbing more than one Rookie QB. We pick up a vet off the scrap-heap and let Brohm start the season as the #3.

GrnBay007
yesterday motife was posting the top 40 draft picks remaining. what site has this listed for today?

Gunakor

Na, I think they might want to keep that 3rd QB spot open to try to get a veteran QB in on a 1 yr deal while Brohm learns the offense. If they do draft another one, I'd expect it would come very late - Kyle Wright of Miami in round 7 would be okay. Dixon is a good QB but I'd only have taken him if I hadn't gotten Brohm.

pack4to84
04-27-2008, 11:38 AM
packers.com draft cam TT looks relaxed now

Tarlam!
Wedding Ring

She's been proposed to, she said yes and she's wearing a 1 carat blue as we speak. She's also gonna make the Rats game against Atlanta!

Nuff said, Cheez, huh?

Gunakor

I'd be relaxed too if the draft had fallen to me like this one has for TT

Rastak
04-27-2008, 11:40 AM
Bucs take DT Moore:

Strengths: Though still needs to improve ability to shed blocks quickly, plays with a mean streak, has above-average upper body strength and made progress in this area during senior season. Takes adequate angles to the ball, has adequate range and makes the occasional play in pursuit. Doesn't do a great job of anticipating the snap but is quick and can disrupt the occasional play in the backfield. Did a better job of using hands to protect legs and improved ability to fight over cut blocks during senior season though is still somewhat inconsistent in this area. Keeps head up and flashes the ability to sniff out screens. Has some experience lining up over tackles and is versatile enough to move to end in a 3-4 two-gap scheme. Played just one season of high school football and is still a little raw but has made strides and should only continue to get better with added experience.

Weaknesses: Plays too high, hasn't shown great lower body strength and can get driven back. Lacks elite size though has the frame to bulk up, plays with a narrow base and can't anchor against double teams at this point. Appears to gear down when sees other defenders get to the ball carrier and effort is inconsistent. Takes too long to read keys when teams run at him and gets caught out of position at times. Appears stiff in space and is an inconsistent open field tackler. Lacks ideal lateral mobility and doesn't set blockers up to the outside before redirecting inside. Lacks ideal closing speed and can be step slow getting to the quarterback. While intercepted a pass last year, frequently fails to get hands up when isn't going to the quarterback and doesn't always time jumps well.

Overall: Moore arrived at Maryland in 2003 and redshirted the year. In his first three seasons (2004-'06), he appeared in 31 games (13 starts) and recorded 77 tackles (nine for losses) and 4.5 sacks. As a senior in 2007, he started all 13 games and finished the season with 63 tackles (8.5 for losses), six sacks, two forced fumbles and an interception. Moore is a developmental prospect who lacks ideal athletic ability, is inconsistent and needs to work on his technique as well as his instincts but he steadily improved at Maryland and he has the size and burst that NFL teams covet at the defensive tackle position. He projects as a late first-day pick consequently.

SkinBasket
04-27-2008, 11:40 AM

Here's his info via Akron's page:
Reggie Corner DB 5-9 175 Sr. Canton, OH

Very mysterious.

MateoInMex
04-27-2008, 11:41 AM

I can't see is grabbing more than one Rookie QB. We pick up a vet off the scrap-heap and let Brohm start the season as the #3.

ESPN Analysts say that Brian Brohm is probably the most "NFL ready" QB because of his savvy. I would think that Brian Brohm would start the year as ARogers' backup, unless the Packers continue to court Culpepper.

Rastak
04-27-2008, 11:42 AM

Here's his info via Akron's page:
Reggie Corner DB 5-9 175 Sr. Canton, OH

Very mysterious.

Ineed. I wonder if Reggie Corner is an android or something.

CaliforniaCheez
04-27-2008, 11:43 AM
yesterday motife was posting the top 40 draft picks remaining. what site has this listed for today?

It's too difficult for later picks. After 110 or 120 nobody really knows.

Rastak
Cards take DE Iwebema:

Strengths: Is an athletic wide-end prospect with adequate-to-good quickness. He shows a relentless motor as a pass rusher. Displays some upper-body power as a pass rusher and can be effective using swim and rip techniques. Gives a great effort versus the run and occasionally will display a mean streak. Will fire off the line quickly and with good leverage. Does a fine job with hand placement and fights hard to hold his ground when teams run at him. Pursues hard from the backside and plays to the whistle. Solid open-field tackler for his position and shows some short-area power. Blocked two field goal attempts in Syracuse game last year, blocked two field goal attempts in 2005 Illinois game and can contribute on special teams.

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal bulk. Plays with a narrow base and needs to improve his lower-body strength. Struggles to match up in a phone booth versus bigger offensive tackles. Not very effective on inside stunts and really struggles to hold up physically when he's stuck inside when the tight end shifts over to his side. He's a smooth athlete with adequate speed, but he's a notch below the elite level in terms of initial quickness and change-of-direction skills. Durability is an issue. In 2006, he missed all of three games and part of others due to shoulder injury that required surgery (returned for Alamo Bowl game vs. Texas). In 2004, he sustained an ankle injury in bowl game (vs. LSU). In 2007, he missed the Michigan State game after sustaining a concussion the previous week.

Overall: Iwebema arrived at Iowa in 2003 and redshirted the year. In his first three seasons (2004-'06), he appeared in 32 games (19 starts) and compiled 78 tackles (15 for losses) and 11 sacks. As a senior, he played in 11 games (all starts) and finished the season with 28 tackles (five for losses), 3.5 sacks, a forced fumble, two blocked kicks and two pass breakups. Iwebema had shoulder surgery during the 2006 season, but was able to return for the Alamo Bowl against Texas. He missed one game in 2007 because of an injury. He also was suspended one game in 2006 for a violation of team rules. Iwebema is a traditional weak-side defensive end prospect who is at his best rushing the passer and making plays in pursuit. However, he's not in the elite category in terms of first-step quickness and closing burst so he must improve his bulk and lower-body strength to become a more complete player. Iwebema projects as a sixth round pick as a result.

Rastak
Raiders trade Fabian Washington for a 4.

Deputy Nutz
Wedding Ring

She's been proposed to, she said yes and she's wearing a 1 carat blue as we speak. She's also gonna make the Rats game against Atlanta!

This is disappointing.

Speaking of diamonds, I will never buy another ever again and neither will my wife. The fact that one diamond company has a banks and banks of diamonds and just controls the release of them to keep supply and demand in balance for them to make ridiculous cash. Besides lab stones are getting to the point that even the best eye is having trouble telling the difference between real diamonds and lab created diamonds

SkinBasket
04-27-2008, 11:44 AM

It's too difficult for later picks. After 110 or 120 nobody really knows.

ESPNs draft tracker has the top 10 still available according to Scouts. Also top 10 in each position.

http://sports-ak.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draftCast/index

Gunakor
04-27-2008, 11:44 AM

ESPN Analysts say that Brian Brohm is probably the most "NFL ready" QB because of his savvy. I would think that Brian Brohm would start the year as ARogers' backup, unless the Packers continue to court Culpepper.

A-Rod was supposedly NFL ready coming out too but he looked like crap for 2 years before he finally "got it". I don't expect Brohm to be the immediate #2. TT got away with it with A-Rod because he was backing up the most durable QB in NFL history. Brohm would be backing up perhaps one of the most injury prone. I'd hope they could get a vet who doesn't need a whole lot of reps in practice to understand what he's seeing and doing. Don't forget, this is Rodgers first year as a starter. Brohm isn't going to be seeing very many reps in practice.

RashanGary
04-27-2008, 11:45 AM
Jordy Nelson - Hard nosed, tough, talented player. Does everything well.

Brian Brohm - Extremely productive. McCarthy said he does everything well. They wanted to trade up to get him, but sat tight and got him anyway.

Patrick Lee - Great guy, top tier athlete. Not very experienced or productive, but showed flashes. Fits the scheme. Looks like a high potential/high bust rate guy to me.

Jermichael Finley - Fast, good body control and hands, very good athlete. Not as productive as you like, but left early and is a high upside guy for this point in the draft. Similar to Patrick Lee in that he's a good athlete but unproven.

Jeremy Thompson - Another upper tier athlete. Injuries have slowed him through is career. He's a high potential guy for this point in the draft, but not a particularly proven one. If two of the mid 3 (Lee, Finley and Thompson) pan out, I think this draft is going to look pretty good.

Scott Campbell
04-27-2008, 11:45 AM
Packers give up picks 113 (68 points) and 162 (26.6) = 94.6 points.

for Jets pick 102 (92) = 92 points. So we lost 2.6 points on this transaction - if you believe in the charts.

It's not that big of a point difference. Though I suspect Ted must have really, really liked the guy or he would have taken his chances letting Thompson fall to him at 113.

Rastak
04-27-2008, 11:46 AM
Eagles take S Demps:

Strengths: Shows adequate range, tracks the ball well and is experienced playing a centerfielder-type role. Disciplined and rarely gets caught out of position. Explodes out of backpedal and shows good closing speed coming forward. Opens hips quickly, flashes the ability to change directions quickly and has the potential to develop quality man-to-man cover skills. Reads quarterback's eyes, baits quarterbacks and jump routes. Catches the ball very well and is a playmaker in coverage. Flashes the ability to time hits well and occasionally will separate ball from body. Does a decent job of staying low and undercutting bigger ball carriers. Reaches top speed quickly and flashes the ability to get to the quarterback when asked to blitz. Plays with emotion and is a leader on the field. Has experience returning kickoffs, flashes big-play ability in that role and can contribute on special teams.

Weaknesses: Lacks elite size, takes too long to shed blocks and can get engulfed when lines up in the box. Avoids blockers rather than stacking them up and creates running lanes in the process. Doesn't always square up to the ball carrier, doesn't always wrap upon contact and is an inconsistent open field tackler. Footwork is inconsistent and gets spun around at times. Plays pass before run on every snap and can be a step late filling.

Overall: Demps arrived at UTEP in 2003 and redshirted the year. In his first three seasons (2004-'06), he appeared in 35 games (all starts) and amassed 203 tackles (one for a loss), 12 interceptions and 15 pass breakups. As a senior in 2007, he played in all 12 games (11 starts) and had 72 tackles (4.5 for losses), two fumble recoveries, a blocked kick, nine pass breakups and five interceptions (including a pair of 100-yard returns for touchdowns). Demps missed one game in 2004 because of a hamstring injury. Demps is far more effective dropping into coverage than he is filling against the run. However, he is a very good natural athlete, which was confirmed during his outstanding combine workout. He also has a nose for the ball, displaying the ability to make momentum-shifting plays in coverage and on special teams. Demps projects as a versatile reserve DB in the NFL and should come off the board in the middle rounds.

Bretsky
04-27-2008, 11:46 AM

I think TT would be in heaven if only Flowers would have fallen one more pick

Rastak
04-27-2008, 11:47 AM
Texans take Adibi LB:

Strengths: Is a fine athlete with very good initial quickness and agility. Has a quick first step, aggressive and can make plays behind the line of scrimmage. Takes sound angles to the ball and shows sideline-to-sideline range. Is relentless in pursuit and always seems to be around the ball at the end of the play. Change directions well, shows good burst coming out of cuts and can stay with most backs in man coverage. Gets good depth, shows adequate awareness and covers a lot of ground when asked to drop into zone coverage. Catches the ball well, shows good body control when adjusting to tipped passes and is a playmaker in coverage. Has a mean streak and flashes the ability to deliver the big hit. Times blitzes fairly well and has excellent closing speed. Does an adequate job of getting hands up when isn't going to get to the quarterback and has excellent leaping ability. Hard worker. Passionate about the game and wants to get better.

Weaknesses: Undersized, doesn't anchor well and can get driven back when teams run at him. Though he flashes a strong upper body, he doesn't always use hands well and can take too long to shed blocks. Doesn't shy away from contact but doesn't go looking for it either. Is quicker than fast and lacks elite top-end speed for a smaller WLB type. Still has room to improve in terms of his footwork in coverage. Better in zone coverage than in man-to-man. Tore a tendon in right biceps in 2004, slowed by shoulder stingers in 2006 and durability is somewhat of a concern.

Overall: Adibi arrived at Virginia Tech in 2003 and was redshirted. In his first three seasons (2004-'06), he appeared in 32 games and recorded 176 tackles (18 for losses), eight sacks, six interceptions and four forced fumbles. As a senior, he started all 14 games at right inside linebacker and turned in 115 tackles (12 for losses), three sacks, a forced fumble, two interceptions and five pass breakups. He also had three career touchdowns with the Hokies (two interception returns, one fumble return). Adibi missed four games in 2004 because of a torn biceps muscle, which required surgery. He also missed much of one game in 2006 because of a shoulder stinger. Adibi isn't stout against the run and his recognition skills are adequate at best. However, he is a fluid and sudden athlete that excels in pursuit and continues to add bulk to his frame. He can make plays in coverage and can get to the quarterback. He is capable of developing into a quality starter  we think best suited at the WLB position in a 4-3 scheme  and he also should make valuable contributions on special teams.

MateoInMex

A-Rod was supposedly NFL ready coming out too but he looked like crap for 2 years before he finally "got it". I don't expect Brohm to be the immediate #2. TT got away with it with A-Rod because he was backing up the most durable QB in NFL history. Brohm would be backing up perhaps one of the most injury prone. I'd hope they could get a vet who doesn't need a whole lot of reps in practice to understand what he's seeing and doing. Don't forget, this is Rodgers first year as a starter. Brohm isn't going to be seeing very many reps in practice.

So I assume they are still going to go after Daunte Culpepper?

GrnBay007
Speaking of diamonds, I will never buy another ever again and neither will my wife.

diamonds are overrated. a family heirloom means far more....imo

Scott Campbell
04-27-2008, 11:48 AM
If two of the mid 3 (Lee, Finley and Thompson) pan out, I think this draft is going to look pretty good.

I think this draft has to yield 4 good players for it to be successful. 3 from the draft, and 1 extra from having to give up a good player in Williams to get the extra 2nd round pick.

Rastak
04-27-2008, 11:49 AM
Broncos take CB Jack Williams:

Strengths: Reads quarterback's eyes, shows good awareness and can cover a lot of ground when asked to drop into zone coverage. Changes directions very well and can mirror most receivers underneath. Aggressive and jumps routes. Has adequate ball skills, can make plays in coverage and is dangerous after the catch. Times blitzes well and shows great closing speed. Tough for his size and fills hard when reads run. Has active hands, plays with a motor and flashes the ability to shed blocks despite size. Plays with a mean streak, flashes the ability to deliver the big hit and forces fumbles. Has some problems bringing bigger backs to the ground but generally wraps up upon contact and is a reliable open field tackler. Has experience returning kickoffs as well as punts, blocked a punt in 2004 and was named Kent State's Special teams Player of the Year in 2006.

Weaknesses: Shows adequate upper body strength and delivers a solid punch when jamming receivers but lacks ideal size and gets pushed around by bigger receivers. Shows good burst coming out of backpedal but can give receivers too big a cushion and step late getting to the ball at times. Isn't going to win many jump balls and is going to have a hard time matching up in the red zone. Doesn't show a variety of pass rush moves and isn't strong enough to run over blockers in the backfield when blitzing. Slowed by ankle as well as shoulder injuries during 2007 season and durability is a concern.

Overall: Williams arrived at Kent State in 2003 and redshirted the year. In his first three seasons (2004-'06), he appeared in 33 games (26 starts) and amassed 152 tackles (eight for losses), three sacks, six forced fumbles and 10 interceptions (two of which he returned for touchdowns) and 17 pass breakups. As a senior in 2007, Williams played in 11 games (all starts) and had 93 tackles (6.5 for losses), one forced fumble, three interceptions and eight pass breakups. He also had 12 career kickoff returns for 252 yards (21.0 average). He missed one game last season because of a shoulder injury. Williams' size and inability to match up with bigger receivers one-on-one are reasons for concern. However, he was never at full strength as a senior and is very much an underrated prospect as a result. Williams, when healthy, possesses the speed and quickness of a NFL starting corner. He also shows good instincts and toughness both in coverage and versus the run. Williams could emerge as a No. 2 corner a year or two down the road. Meanwhile, he can contribute in the sub-package early in his career and provide excellent special teams' production. With that in mind, Williams projects as a third round pick.

red
04-27-2008, 11:49 AM
interesting, in a magazine i'm reading it says that jeremy thompson is orrin thompson's brother

looks like we might have had some inside info

Tarlam!
04-27-2008, 11:50 AM
[
This is disappointing.

You know me, I am a traditionalist - or are you suggesting that meeting Carin will be disappointing??

red
04-27-2008, 11:50 AM

i would be too

SkinBasket
04-27-2008, 11:51 AM
or are you suggesting that meeting Carin will be disappointing??

Does she speak english?

Tarlam!
Speaking of diamonds, I will never buy another ever again and neither will my wife.

diamonds are overrated. a family heirloom means far more....imo

Sorry i brought it up...

red
If two of the mid 3 (Lee, Finley and Thompson) pan out, I think this draft is going to look pretty good.

I think this draft has to yield 4 good players for it to be successful. 3 from the draft, and 1 extra from having to give up a good player in Williams to get the extra 2nd round pick.

well, don't forget we already got a good one in grant for the 6th

Tarlam!
04-27-2008, 11:52 AM

Does she speak english?

Yes, with this sexy little accent...

RashanGary
This draft is a little discomforting. 1st we dont' have 11 picks, so the odds of getting a bunch of good is going to go way down.

Nelson is incredibly safe. After Nelson, you never know with QB's, but we're in a position where we have to start sifting through them until one sticks and that can be a costly endeavor. The last three all have high potenial. They're the "sexy" picks that Ted never makes but they all have high bust potential too. They remind me of the Colledge, BJack and Clowney picks. Good athletes that havn't done much. Ted hasn't been particularly lucky with those types of players.

Rastak
Bears take S Steltz:

Strengths: Reads quarterbacks' eyes, takes sound angles to the ball and shows better range than timed speed suggests. Generally stays as deep as the deepest receiver and does a good job of protecting himself when drops into zone coverage. Times hits well, plays with a mean streak and flashes the ability to separate the receiver from the ball. Stays disciplined and rarely bites on play action. Aggressive in coverage, jumps routes and breaks on the ball well. Shows excellent ball skills and is a natural playmaker. Times jumps well and is tall enough to compete for jump balls. Big enough to line up in the box and is tall enough to add bulk to frame. Made steady progress at the collegiate level, shows excellent work ethic on as well as off the field and should only continue to get better with added experience. Has extensive special teams' experience and can make immediate contributions in that area.

Weaknesses: Does an adequate job of flipping hips when forced to turn and run but isn't fast enough to stay with NFL receivers and can get beat deep when left on an island. Isn't explosive coming out of cuts and is going to have problems matching up with slot receivers in man coverage. Takes too long to react to the run and doesn't always fill hard in run support. Plays too high and can get engulfed when lines up in the box. Doesn't use hands well and takes too long to shed blocks between the tackles. Doesn't show great body control in space, over runs the ball carrier at times and misses some open field tackles. Appears to catch ball carriers rather than exploding into them and isn't a powerful open field tackler. Broke thumb in 2004, slowed by a hamstring injury in 2007 and missed the Senior Bowl after sustaining a shoulder injury in the BCS Championship game so durability is a concern.

Overall: Steltz arrived at LSU in 2004 and appeared in four games as a true freshman, recording one tackle. In his next two seasons (2005 and 2006), he played in 26 games (six starts) and combined for 82 tackles (two for losses), one sack, seven pass breakups and four interceptions. He also blocked and recovered a punt, returning it 29 yards for a touchdown. As a senior in 2007, he started all 14 games at strong safety and had 101 tackles (five for losses), one sack, three forced fumbles, seven pass breakups and six interceptions. Steltz was bothered by a hamstring pull in 2007, and he wasn't able to accept an invitation to play in the Senior Bowl after suffering a right shoulder stinger in the 2008 BCS title game. His brother, Kevin, was a three-year starter at fullback and an LSU teammate. Steltz doesn't have great top-end speed and he isn't as physical a run defender as his size suggests but he uses positioning to mask his lack of range in coverage and he's big enough to develop in an effective run stopper. In addition, he should make early contributions on special teams so he projects as a late fourth or early fifth round pick.

Scott Campbell
04-27-2008, 11:53 AM

well, don't forget we already got a good one in grant for the 6th

Point taken. Scratch my original post of 4 players, and make it 3.

SkinBasket

Does she speak english?

German? Aussie? French? Is it as sexy as yours?

red

Does she speak english?

i'll give you 20 bucks for her

thats american money, very valuable

Gunakor
04-27-2008, 11:54 AM

Agreed, but I think Lee will do just fine. He'll have at least a year or two to learn the nuances of the league from Harris and Woodson. He already plays the same style of football. I love that pick.

Tarlam!

Does she speak english?

Er, my future wife you're joking about.

GrnBay007

I heard females that attended last year said they could listen to your accent all day. :oops:

:D

Scott Campbell
[
This is disappointing.

You know me, I am a traditionalist - or are you suggesting that meeting Carin will be disappointing??

Is she still going to want you after meeting this cast of characters?

SkinBasket
04-27-2008, 11:55 AM

I heard females that attended last year said they could listen to your accent all day. :oops:

It weresn't just the gals.

Tarlam!

Does she speak english?

German? Aussie? French? Is it as sexy as yours?

German, better than mine...

Rastak

Does she speak english?

Umm, American money ain't worth shit right now.

Scott Campbell

Does she speak english?

Damn, you drive a hard bargain. :lol:

Rastak
04-27-2008, 11:56 AM
Seahawks take DT Bryant:

Strengths: Shows good initial quickness for size, aggressive and makes the occasional play in the backfield. Has excellent bulk, though inconsistent in this area can stay low to the ground and is stout at the point of attack. Plays with a mean streak, shows good upper body strength and can shed blocks quickly though a little inconsistent in this area. Has excellent size and can anchor when teams run at him. Flashes an effective rip move and shows a good not great motor when rushing the passer. Gets hands up when isn't going to get to the quarterback, times jumps well and excels at tipping passes. Blocked an extra-point attempt in 2006, blocked a kick in 2004 and can contribute on special teams. Voted permanent team captain in 2006, is a leader of the field and shows a knack for making plays in key situations.

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal closing speed and doesn't always get there when gets a clear path to the quarterback. Takes too long to change directions, doesn't show a wide variety of pass rush moves and doesn't force offensive linemen to redirect in pass protection. Though flashes the ability to collapse the pocket and has the potential to develop into a powerful bull rusher, doesn't always get under blocker's pads or drive legs once in position. Doesn't always use hands to protect legs and struggles to fight over cut blocks. Lacks ideal range and isn't going to make many plays in pursuit. Gets too caught up in individual battles, takes too long to locate the ball carrier and gets caught out of position at times. While started 12 games and appeared in all 13 games in 2007, sustained a season-ending knee injury in 2006 and durability is a concern. Has some problems controlling emotions, lacks ideal discipline and is vulnerable to getting flagged.

Overall: Bryant arrived at Texas A&M in 2003 and redshirted that year. In his first three seasons (2004-'06), he appeared in 32 games (30 starts) at nose guard and right defensive tackle, registering 81 tackles (13.5 for losses) and 5.5 sacks. In 2006, Bryant tore the ACL in his right knee, returned for one game after sitting out a week, and then missed the Aggies' final three games after deciding to undergo season-ending surgery. As a senior he played in all 13 games (and started the first 12), finishing with 46 tackles (six for losses), one sack, two pass breakups, a forced fumble, a blocked kick and a safety. Bryant doesn't have ideal closing speed or athletic ability but he has the quickness, size and toughness to develop into an excellent run stuffer and adequate interior pass rusher if he can stay healthy and sharpen his technique. He projects as a late first-day pick as a result.

Tarlam!

It weresn't just the gals.

I am relieved, cause I never shut up!

red

Does she speak english?

alright, i'll give you 20 bucks for a cd of her just talking with the accent

doesn't even have to be dirty

i'll give you another 2, american money again, if its dirty

Lurker64
This draft is a little discomforting. 1st we dont' have 11 picks, so the odds of getting a bunch of good is going to go way down.

At the same time, when you have 11 picks and a pretty good roster already, you end up cutting a bunch of guys who are pretty good themselves. The Patriots last year drafted 8 guys and ended up cutting 6 of them. I would consider that a failed draft.

cpk1994
Well, at least the conversation has taken a step up from potty breaks.

Scott Campbell
Which picks did we get in the 2nd and 4th rounds for our 30th pick in the first?

SkinBasket
04-27-2008, 11:58 AM
I am relieved, cause I never shut up!

For all the drinks you bought, you could talk as long as you damned well pleased.

GrnBay007

LOL!!!!

Tarlam!

Does she speak english?

Have you been drinking? I kinda asked you nicely not to be rude, but you seem not to have taken the hint. Maybe it's just us stupid non-Americans, but we don't think of our spouses as salable objects.

Gunakor
Which picks did we get in the 2nd and 4th rounds for our 30th pick in the first?

#36 in the second (Jordy Nelson)
#113 in the fourth - traded back to the Jets with a 5th round pick for #102

GrnBay007
Well, at least the conversation has taken a step up from potty breaks.

sorry :oops:

MateoInMex
04-27-2008, 11:59 AM
I guess the Cowboys want to run the ball.

red
04-27-2008, 12:00 PM
Have you been drinking? I kinda asked you nicely not to be rude, but you seem not to have taken the hint. Maybe it's just us stupid non-Americans, but we don't think of our spouses as salable objects.

alright, alright, i'm sorry

Scott Campbell

#36 in the second (Jordy Nelson)
#113 in the fourth - traded back to the Jets with a 5th round pick for #102

Thanks!!!

Rastak
Cowboys actually use the pick on the first choice....yuk yuk yuk - RB Tashard Choice:

Strengths: A workhorse back with natural running skills and excellent competitiveness. Reads blocks well, doesn't waste motion and gets through holes quicker than people seem to think. Patient, does a nice job of locating cutback lanes and makes sharp cuts behind the line if scrimmage. Displays great stop-and-start skills. Runs hard, bounces off arm tackles and picks up many yards after contact. Consistently makes the first defender miss. Shows effective use of stiff arm. Runs adequate routes and has the burst to separate from man coverage. Catches the ball with hands away from frame and doesn't drop many passes should catch. Is smooth turning upfield and shows good vision setting up blocks in space. Does an excellent job of selling playfakes.

Weaknesses: Lacks any elite physical qualities. Is quicker than fast. Lacks breakaway speed and isn't much of a threat to go the distance when gets a seam. Gets tracked down from behind too often. Lacks ideal size for his tough running style. Keeps ball tight to frame most of the time but doesn't always cover up when gets into traffic and can put the ball on the ground. Though he flashes a mean streak and a powerful punch when asked to help out in pass protection, he also takes poor angles to assignments and dives at defenders' feet as a last ditch effort. Lacks ideal lower body strength and struggles to anchor when picking up blitz.

Overall: Choice spent the 2004 season backing up Adrian Peterson at Oklahoma. He enrolled at Georgia Tech in 2005 and was immediately eligible to play after the NCAA granted a waiver of the residency requirement. During his next two seasons with the Yellow Jackets, Choice appeared in 26 games (15 starts) and ran for 1,986 yards and 18 touchdowns on 414 carries (4.8 average). In 12 games (all starts) in 2007, Choice turned in 1,412 yards and 10 touchdowns on 261 carries (5.3 average); 14 receptions for 107 yards (7.6 average); and even an 11-yard touchdown pass. He had midseason knee surgery and also was bothered by a hamstring injury, but Choice missed just one game last year. Choice was tremendously productive at the collegiate level when healthy. He is a proven workhorse with very good vision, toughness and power for his size. He displays good patience setting up blocks and he also is quicker to and through the hole than some think. Unfortunately, Choice doesn't have the frame to match his hard-charging running style, which has led to several injuries throughout his career. In addition to concerns regarding his durability, Choice lacks ideal top-end speed and will never be a homerun threat as a runner, pass-catcher or kick returner in the NFL. With all that in mind, Choice projects as a solid backup in the NFL and should come off the board in the mid-round range of the 2008 draft.

GrnBay007
04-27-2008, 12:01 PM

Does she speak english?

me thinks he was just admitting he's a perv (in a joking way). :wink:

SkinBasket
Cowboys actually use the pick on the first choice....yuk yuk yuk - RB Tashard Choice:

Terrible name...

Tarlam!

alright, alright, i'm sorry

Fine. I just happen to love the girl.

Tarlam!
04-27-2008, 12:02 PM
me thinks he was just admitting he's a perv (in a joking way). :wink:

I am the biggest perve on here - as you prolly know best!

3irty1
I was really hoping we'd land dwight lowery.

Rastak
Giants take LB Kehl:

Strengths: Quick and makes plays in the backfield. Has good size and tall enough to add bulk to frame. Keeps head up, flows well and does a nice of scraping down the line of scrimmage. Displays adequate upper body strength, locks out arms and makes it difficult for offensive lineman to grab on. Takes good pursuit angles and closes down cutback lanes. Has above-average range, plays with a good motor and is a sideline-to-sideline run defender. Frequently walks up to the line of scrimmage, explosive enough to turn the corner and shows decent closing speed coming off the edge. Gets adequate depth, reads quarterback's eyes and covers a lot of ground when asked to drop into zone coverage. Showed improved ball skills last year and flashes the ability to make the big play in coverage. Blocked a punt in 2005 and can contribute on special teams.

Weaknesses: Plays far too upright and gets driven back at times. Hands aren't active enough and he takes too long to shed blocks once reached. Moves well laterally but takes too long to open hips when forced to turn and run, lacks the second gear to recover once caught out of position and is going to have a difficult time matching up with NFL tight ends in man coverage. Shows good balance and jumps over cut blockers but needs to do a better job of using his hands to protect legs. Doesn't show great body control in space, fails to wrap up at times and is an inconsistent open field tackler. Missed the 2003 and 2004 seasons while on a church mission and age is a concern.

Overall: Kehl arrived at BYU in 2002 and appeared in 11 games at linebacker, finishing the season with 14 tackles. In 2005 and 2006, he played in 24 games (13 starts, all in '06) and combined for 100 tackles (nine for losses), three sacks, one forced fumble and seven pass breakups. As a senior in 2007, he played all 13 games and had 91 tackles (11.5 for losses), four sacks, one forced fumble, three interceptions and four pass breakups. Kehl served a two-year church mission from 2003-'04. His older brothers Ed and Brandon both played football for the Cougars. Kehl has to improve his ability to shed blockers and he has his limitations in coverage but he's an active run defender and relentless pass rusher capable of disrupting plays in the backfield. He should also contribute on special teams, which helps his value as a mid-to-late round pick.

Scott Campbell
04-27-2008, 12:04 PM
Packers give up the 30th pick - 620 points,

and get the 36th pick (540 points) and 113th pick (68 points) = 608 points.

So we lost 12 points on this one too.

texaspackerbacker
04-27-2008, 12:05 PM
128 and 135: one of those two should be an RB IMO.

Rastak
04-27-2008, 12:06 PM
Skins take CB Tryon:

Strengths: Tough and plays more physical than size would suggest. Appears comfortable playing close to the line of scrimmage despite size, can get hands inside receiver's frame and shows serviceable upper body strength. Quick, changes directions well and blankets receivers underneath. Fluid hips, is fast enough to turn and run with most NFL receivers and does a good not great job of turning head back in time to locate the ball. Drops some passes that should catch but can make plays in coverage and is a dangerous open field runner after the catch. Plays with a mean streak and fills hard when reads run. Can get engulfed by blockers but has active hands and flashes the ability to slip bocks in space. Has experience returning kickoffs, has experience covering kicks and can contribute on special teams. Started all 26 games of only two seasons at Arizona State and appears to be durable.

Weaknesses: Never backs away from a challenge but undersized, gets pushed around at times and is going to have some problems matching up with bigger receivers. Short, doesn't have elite leaping ability and isn't going to win many jump balls. Can cover a lot of ground in zone coverage but doesn't show ideal awareness and gets caught out of position at times. Plays too upright, doesn't always explode out of backpedal as a result and can be step slow getting to the ball when plays off the line. While generally wraps up upon contact doesn't break down into a sound tackling position and has some problems bringing bigger ball carriers to the ground. Doesn't explode into tackles and isn't going to deliver many big hits. Character doesn't appear to be a substantial issue but flagged for taunting during 2007 Washington State game an needs to do a better job of controlling emotions on the field at times.

Overall: Tryon attended College of the Canyons (Santa Clarita, Calif.) in 2004 and 2005, earning second-team All-America honors in '05 and helping lead the school to a national championship in '04. He transferred to Arizona State in 2006, starting all 13 games as a junior and finishing the season with 47 tackles (2.5 for losses), one sack, one interception and seven pass breakups. As a senior in 2007, he had 56 tackles (one for a loss), a forced fumble, 16 pass breakups and three interceptions (one of which he returned for a touchdown). In his two years with the Sun Devils, Tryon also had 12 kickoff returns for 372 yards (31.0 average). Tryon is undersized so he is going to have problems matching up with receivers and making plays in run support but he has the quickness, speed, toughness and agility to emerge as an excellent Nickel back who can also return kickoffs. With that in mind, he projects as a fifth round pick.

Tarlam!
Packers give up the 30th pick - 620 points,

and get the 36th pick (540 points) and 113th pick (68 points) = 608 points.

So we lost 12 points on this one too.

I think TT has his own board and points. Every time he's traded sofar, we lost out on points with these boards...

Lurker64
128 and 135: one of those two should be an RB IMO.

I'd be unhappy if one of them wasn't an OL.

Scott Campbell
......................... but we don't think of our spouses as salable objects.

Try being married to 7 at the same time and see if your still singing the same tune.

red
04-27-2008, 12:07 PM
we could use a real fullback, not a LB filling in at FB

peyton hills from arkansas

he can run block and catch