PDA

View Full Version : Game Day: Pack vs Atlanta

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Packnut
08-19-2006, 09:55 PM
Let the Kool-Aid pouring begin!

Yes, it's still just a pre-season game. But also a shot in the arm after last week. WHEW.

Yep, we needed this one bad!

CyclonePackFan
Cyclone,

Manuel just started practicing this week. I don't think he's hurt. Hawkins has been in and out of practice with injuries.

Thank you. I was watching the Eau Claire news earlier this week and knew Manuel just started up and figured he wasn't game ready yet, but I just wanted to make sure he didn't reinjure himself. Bums me out to hear about Hawkins. I really want that kid to succeed.

woodbuck27
Whhhheeeuuuu !! WILD !! :mrgreen:

WAY TO GO PACKERS !!!

FavreChild
08-19-2006, 09:56 PM
Fasten your seatbelts - this season's gonna be a bumpy ride.

But at least we know there's gonna be some "ups" to outweigh the "downs."

woodbuck27
08-19-2006, 09:57 PM
Cyclone,

Manuel just started practicing this week. I don't think he's hurt. Hawkins has been in and out of practice with injuries.

Thank you. I was watching the Eau Claire news earlier this week and knew Manuel just started up and figured he wasn't game ready yet, but I just wanted to make sure he isn't hurt already. Bums me out to hear about Hawkins. I really want that kid to succeed.

What happened to Michael Hawkins ?

Rastak
08-19-2006, 09:57 PM
Didn't see the game but it sounds impressive.......

GBRulz
08-19-2006, 09:58 PM
great game!!! Loved how they really turned things around....

CHEERS :mrgreen:

gbgary
08-19-2006, 09:59 PM
improvement in all phases and a win...that's progress.

FavreChild
Well, I am *literally* drinking the Kool-Aid right now (mixed with what - that can be up to your imagination). But an extra special THANKS goes out to GBR for her help, and also to ALL the PackerRats for your commentary.

As ol' Tommy Thompson would say, "It's a great day to be a PACKER"

PaCkFan_n_MD
great game!!! Loved how they really turned things around....

CHEERS :mrgreen:

Thanks again GB, good night :smile:

pack4to84
08-19-2006, 10:00 PM
Rastak how is the vikings looking? I see there winning. :cry:

FavreChild
08-19-2006, 10:01 PM
Yes, Rastak, do you have a basic summary? How long did the starters play on each side, etc.?

Again, I am too lazy to look it up. I trust your insight, please.

GBRulz
M3's press conference will be on shortly....

I put down 3/4 bottle of wine... tastes like kool-aid to me

Scott Campbell
Nice game thread. Things are looking good for PR when the season gets rolling.

Joemailman
08-19-2006, 10:02 PM
Packerrats Game Thread: 510 Posts
JSO Game Thread: 51 Posts :lol: :lol: :lol:

GBRulz
08-19-2006, 10:02 PM
I heard a rumor that Longwell actually kicked a ball into the endzone tonight?

GBRulz
08-19-2006, 10:03 PM
Packerrats Game Thread: 510 Posts
JSO Game Thread: 51 Posts :lol: :lol: :lol:

that's awesome!!!! Plus, we had a dozen in live chat watching the game as well. Does that mean about 200 more posts? :wink:

GrnBay007
08-19-2006, 10:04 PM
M3's press conference will be on shortly....

I put down 3/4 bottle of wine... tastes like kool-aid to me

Drink up girl!! Open bottle 2 :razz:

gbgary
I heard a rumor that Longwell actually kicked a ball into the endzone tonight?

lol.....be nice.

FavreChild
AJ Hawk/Packers now the lead story on NFL.com....

FavreChild
08-19-2006, 10:07 PM
I see the following from NFL.com:

R.Longwell kicks 70 yards from MIN 30 to PIT 0. R.Colclough to PIT 16 for 16 yards (C.Griffin).[/b]

FavreChild
08-19-2006, 10:07 PM
And then:

R.Longwell kicks 65 yards from MIN 30 to PIT 5. S.Holmes to PIT 25 for 20 yards (C.Griffin; C.Fason).

vince
08-19-2006, 10:08 PM
Nice game thread. Things are looking good for PR when the season gets rolling.Yes they are. No question about it!

You guys rock!

I can't wait to read the analysis. I watched about every tenth frame of the game - thanks to GBRulz! - but it was hard to get a good feel for things...

Obviously, Favre, Driver, and Jennings all had the stats, but, for example, how did Jennings LOOK - especially on the long run? Was it there for anyone to take, or did he show a burst that is a sign of things to come?

Couldn't really tell much about the OL. Favre was effective, which says a lot, but who excelled?

FavreChild
08-19-2006, 10:08 PM
And then:

R.Longwell kicks 64 yards from MIN 30 to PIT 6. S.Holmes to PIT 25 for 19 yards (W.Hunter, J.Glenn).

And then:

R.Longwell kicks 67 yards from MIN 30 to PIT 3. W.Reid to PIT 25 for 22 yards (J.Glenn).

So ONCE he kicked into the end zone.

red
08-19-2006, 10:10 PM
WOW

of all the things i was expecting from this game a blowout by us wasn't one of them

great rebound from last week

this should get people thinking a little more positive around here.

how bout that brett favre guy?

and great to see jennings have a huge game after being destroyed on the first pass thrown to him

hawk continued to step it up

culver once again played well

hell most of the team played great accept for martin after they gave up that first TD

GBRulz
08-19-2006, 10:11 PM
M3 just said henderson hurt his knee. I guess I didn't see that... no further comment on it though until he talks to the medical staff

GBRulz
08-19-2006, 10:12 PM
hell most of the team played great accept for martin after they gave up that first TD

you forgot about Leach!!

but hell yeah..great turnaround from last week.

Iron Mike
Clifton had both knees iced up after he sat down..... :sad:

FavreChild
NO...Hendu can NOT be hurt.

Not only is Hendu one of our team leaders, but we just saw that Leach is not much of a back-up at FB.

pack4to84
08-19-2006, 10:13 PM
ESPN 2 to show highlights of packers next

red
08-19-2006, 10:13 PM

you forgot about Leach!!

true, he was doing a good job of blocking though. but he has to make those two catches, my god that one was perfect

GBRulz
08-19-2006, 10:15 PM
for the most part, M3 has nothing but good things to say about tonight's game, as he should. When asked about particular questions (moll), his response was always "I will have to look at the film"

Joemailman
08-19-2006, 10:15 PM

I think that will be a regular thing. At some point this season, we'll need to rely on a backup.

red
08-19-2006, 10:16 PM

old players do that a lot. it could just mean his knees are sore, or it could just be prevention so they don't start acting up. i was worried when i first saw them taping one, but as soon as i saw them tape the other i felt better.

plus he was standing up and walking around all game

its no injury

vince
just saw the highlights on SportsCenter. WEAK highlights! I wanted to see Jennings take it to the HOUSE!

GrnBay007
I just saw highlights on SC ...pretty funny that TD by Bubba.

GBRulz

you forgot about Leach!!

true, he was doing a good job of blocking though. but he has to make those two catches, my god that one was perfect

yeah his first drop, the announcers were more or less blaming Rodgers. B.S. Leach should have had it.

red
08-19-2006, 10:17 PM
for the most part, M3 has nothing but good things to say about tonight's game, as he should. When asked about particular questions (moll), his response was always "I will have to look at the film"

i'll tell you what, they kept brett off the ground for the most part and gave him a lot more time then he got last week

something worked

GrnBay007
08-19-2006, 10:17 PM
just saw the highlights on SportsCenter. WEAK highlights! I wanted to see Jennings take it to the HOUSE!

Yep, wanted to see Jennings too.

pack4to84
08-19-2006, 10:18 PM
Rastak i like vikings home jersys look better then the old ones. Just saw the replays on espn

Rastak
08-19-2006, 10:20 PM
Rastak i like vikings home jersys look better then the old ones

I like the road jersey's...home jersey's..... not so great.....

red
the jennings TD was nice. it was off a deflected pass. he just grabbed it and turned on the jets.

the one bad thing was that he let up a bit about 30 yards out and the db started to catch him. the db never got closer then 5 yards but it was a hold your breath type of run.

it was a nice play on a ball that wasn't intended for him

MadtownPacker
Rastak i like vikings home jersys look better then the old ones. Just saw the replays on espnI think you've had enough KoolAid for the night.

Rastak
08-19-2006, 10:22 PM
And then:

R.Longwell kicks 64 yards from MIN 30 to PIT 6. S.Holmes to PIT 25 for 19 yards (W.Hunter, J.Glenn).

And then:

R.Longwell kicks 67 yards from MIN 30 to PIT 3. W.Reid to PIT 25 for 22 yards (J.Glenn).

So ONCE he kicked into the end zone.

Did you also catch 17-10 on the road against the superbowl champs?

:wink:

Longwell has been just fine thus far....his kicks have been pretty deep but the coverage units need improvement for sure.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-19-2006, 10:22 PM
Did Donald Lee play in the game? I didn't see him.....

pack4to84
08-19-2006, 10:25 PM
i think they will grow on you

FavreChild
08-19-2006, 10:27 PM

:wink:

Yes, b/c unfortunately, I can see the whole game here in STILLER country.

I was not trying to burst your bubble - merely trying to answer the question from several Pack fans about Longwell's kickoffs. I don't think you have anything to worry about with your K.

esoxx
08-19-2006, 10:28 PM
I saw Lee play on kickoff return unit. Didn't see him much on offense.

Prediction: Marc Boerigter gets cut soon.

FavreChild
But I still don't like those (Viqueen) uni's....

GBRulz
i think they will grow on you

wish i could say the same about their fans.... j/k rastak and gary!

FavreChild
08-19-2006, 10:29 PM

Yeah, I think that's inevitable. Boe barely played, and although C. Rodg can't field a punt, it's not like Boe can, either...

OKC PackerFan
08-19-2006, 10:30 PM
Here the link to the live post game report. Packers Radio Network.

http://webclust1.liquidcompass.cc/sos4cust/JBG/audio_player.php?id=WTMJ

red
08-19-2006, 10:31 PM

i'd have to think that after tonight david martin will soon be on the way out too

GBRulz
I would like to see some of the other QB's play a series or two. I'm pulling for Wrobel...if for one reason, that he's from LaCrosse :wink:

Iron Mike
I've been waiting for an hour or so for someone to make a comment on the Leach/Beach backfield!!! :?

red
08-19-2006, 10:33 PM
I've been waiting for an hour or so for someone to make a comment on the Leach/Beach backfield!!! :?

boy, arliss looked damn good tonight. the guy just puts his head down and plows his way forward at full speed

esoxx
08-19-2006, 10:33 PM

Here's a comment: That would suck.

the_idle_threat
08-19-2006, 10:37 PM

Here's a comment: That would suck.

But it could happen. Beach looked a lot better than the mad dumper tonight, and could possibly win the #3 job. Leach is still our best blocking FB, even if he has hands of steele.

GBRulz
08-19-2006, 10:42 PM
Here is the official AP story of the game....

Favre finds punch, Packers beat Falcons 38-10

The Associated Press

Brett Favre and the Green Bay Packers’ offense found their punch in a preseason game against the Atlanta Falcons on Saturday night.

Favre led the Packers on their first two touchdown drives of the preseason in the first half, and Green Bay beat the Falcons 38-10 one week after being held to a field goal in San Diego.

“We drove the ball really well,” Favre said in quotes distributed by the Packers. “We had some good drives. That was a good feeling, compared to San Diego.”

Favre was 16-of-22 for 134 yards, throwing two touchdown passes to cap long drives and leading the Packers to a field goal after an interception by Falcons quarterback Michael Vick.

Vick played only the first two series for Atlanta, looking sharp on a seven-play, 80-yard drive on the first. Vick threw a 22-yard touchdown pass to tight end Dwayne Blakley to give the Falcons a 7-0 lead. The drive was set up by a 23-yard run by T.J. Duckett.

Favre then drove the Packers to the 3, where they had a first-and-goal. He threw a short pass that skipped off the hands of tight end David Martin and was caught by Bubba Franks to tie it at 7.

Vick was intercepted by Packers rookie Tyrone Culver on the Falcons’ second series, and left the game after completing 5 of 7 passes for 59 yards.

Atlanta backup Matt Schaub entered in the second quarter and had good field position after a 43-yard kickoff return by former Packer Allen Rossum.

Schaub got the Falcons into Packers territory, and Michael Koenen kicked a 51-yard field goal to tie the game at 10 — another step toward solidifying Koenen’s bid to handle both kicking and punting duties for the Falcons this season.

Favre threw his second touchdown pass to running back Najeh Davenport with 2:42 remaining in the half. Packers cornerback Jason Horton then intercepted Schaub’s pass just before halftime, running it back 44 yards for a touchdown that gave the Packers a 24-10 halftime lead.

Schaub was 5-of-9 for 61 yards and an interception before he was lifted for rookie D.J. Shockley to start the second half.

Rookie receiver Greg Jennings caught a tipped pass from backup Aaron Rodgers in the fourth quarter and ran 85 yards for a touchdown, allowing the Packers to take a 31-10 lead.

Packers rookie defensive lineman Johnny Jolly intercepted a tipped pass in the fourth quarter, setting up Rodgers’ touchdown pass to Zac Alcorn to make it 38-10.

The Packers got improved pass protection from a revamped offensive line, that includes two rookie starting guards, and struggled to protect Favre against the Chargers last Saturday.

But the Packers still didn’t get much going in the running game.

Davenport, who is returning after missing most of last season with a broken ankle, carried 10 times for 30 yards.

Falcons cornerback DeAngelo Hall was injured in the second quarter.

pack4to84
Leach is still our best blocking FB, even if he has hands of steele. He had a block where you could hear the pop

esoxx

i'd have to think that after tonight david martin will soon be on the way out too

I see Franks, Martin & Lee making final 53 man roster. More double TE sets will be used this year.

GBRulz
08-19-2006, 10:45 PM
I'd like to see Alcorn in there before Martin.

isn't it all about the EC anyways?

GBRulz
08-19-2006, 10:48 PM
wine is kicking my ass...finished the bottle and it's time to lay down, watch some sports highlights and sleep.

night e1 - great game!!!!!

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-19-2006, 10:48 PM
Remember people, don't fall in love or kill someone after a good or bad game.

GrnBay007
08-19-2006, 10:50 PM
I'd like to see Alcorn in there before Martin.

isn't it all about the EC anyways?

....and that shaved head too. :cool:

woodbuck27
08-19-2006, 10:53 PM

Seems to me that Rod Gardner wasn't effective, and you didn't like Boe.

Question: Did Ruvell Martin get any work tonight?

Only three WR's made receptions. DD, Jennings and Ferguson.

Question:How did Gardner look - anyone?

J-Rok
08-19-2006, 10:57 PM
I know he got penalized for illegal motion. He didn't do anything else. I'll go check the play-by-play for his name.

edit: Oh yeah, Favre threw that ball to him in the end of the endzone. It bounced off his hands, but he was getting roughed up. He drew that Illegal Use of Hands penalty before Davenport got the TD.

the_idle_threat
08-19-2006, 10:58 PM
I can't help you there, Woody! I didn't see him at all.

I think someone mentioned he was thrown to once in the end zone ... but didn't come up with the catch.

woodbuck27
08-19-2006, 10:58 PM
I know he got penalized for illegal motion. He didn't do anything else. I'll go check the play-by-play for his name.

Thanks. :mrgreen:

woodbuck27
08-19-2006, 11:02 PM
Wondering where Rod Gardner is ? Didn't he have a good shot at a TD reception zone and dropped it.

It's tough to get a feel of it all on Game Center, and especially back and forth here as well. NO time for Cheerleaders either.

It's a ton of fun though. WILD !! :mrgreen:

Packers ! Faith Fans in 2006 !!

woodbuck27
08-19-2006, 11:05 PM

I think someone mentioned he was thrown to once in the end zone ... but didn't come up with the catch.

Gardner or Ruvell Martin? I thought that David Martin missed one in the end?

the_idle_threat
08-19-2006, 11:06 PM

Gardner.

David Martin missed several catches and generally looked bad, but that's another story.

I didn't see or hear anything regarding Ruvell Martin.

red
08-19-2006, 11:09 PM

Gardner.

David Martin missed several catches and generally looked bad, but that's another story.

i heard the announcer towards the end mention ruvell was in the game, but i didn't see him do anything.

i remember seeing gardner in on exactly one play. and i have no idea what he did on that one play. i want to say he was on the ground

esoxx
08-19-2006, 11:34 PM

Woody, it's not that I don't "like" Boe. I wish him the best just like any other player. I feel he will be cut soon b/c from what I saw he wasn't even out on the field when Favre was in the game. If he was he didn't have any throws his way. My understading of Boe is he's lost a step on that nice speed he had to go along with that size. He's a poor route runner that very stiff in and out of cuts. I see him out of the league after this pre-season. JAG.

Gardner didn't stand out either, but has more skills than Boe at this point. We'll see what happens.

woodbuck27
08-20-2006, 12:43 AM

Gardner.

Got that. Thanks as always.

GO PACKERS ! FAITH IN 2006 !!

HarveyWallbangers
08-20-2006, 12:50 AM
I didn't see the game tonight, but this photo says it all for me.

http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/photographer/21/2109_large.jpg

FritzDontBlitz
08-20-2006, 12:51 AM
is anyone able to post the game for downloading and viewing?

woodbuck27
08-20-2006, 01:02 AM

Woody, it's not that I don't "like" Boe. I wish him the best just like any other player. I feel he will be cut soon b/c from what I saw he wasn't even out on the field when Favre was in the game. If he was he didn't have any throws his way. My understading of Boe is he's lost a step on that nice speed he had to go along with that size. He's a poor route runner that very stiff in and out of cuts. I see him out of the league after this pre-season. JAG.

Response:

Rod Gardner didn't stand out either, but has more skills than Boe at this point. We'll see what happens.

I'd believe both Rod Gardner and Marc Boerigter are disappointing the team. I hoped Rod Gardner would show alot more than he has.

I feel (see) that Ruvell Martin has the inside track on both, and they were given a chance to demonstrate something. They failed again tonight. The have been failing - they failed.

Ted feels that Ruvell Martin looks fine, and didn't need to play as much as DD and Jennings (First Team). It seems more obvious now they are #1 and #2 WR's on OUR team? Ruvell Matins right there behind them,

Marc Boerigter is nearly out the door.

I say cut both Rod Gardner and Marc Boerigter ASAP

Go with WR's DD and Greg Jennings and Ruvell Martin and Robert Ferguson (as both can contribute on ST's).

I don't like more than 5 WR's and we need that spot for an extra RB/FB. Arliss Beach deserves another REAL look.

Ahman Green is back next game.

I say start cutting the deadwood ASAP, to simplify things. If the milk is souring toss it out. :mrgreen:

GO PACKERS ! HOLD FAITH IN 2006 !!

HarveyWallbangers
08-20-2006, 01:05 AM

You are a Vikings homer. I don't think I've heard anything negative from you on them. Steelers aren't Super Bowl champs when it comes to preseason. Apparently, Cowher couldn't care less about preseason. Last year, his first team offense scored ZERO points in the preseason. Steelers got bitch slapped by Arizona last week. Steelers are the 49ers of the preseason.

KFAN made it sound like the Vikings weren't very impressive. Typical preseason fare. Big Ben and Fast Willie played one series, and we all know how dependent Pittsburgh is on him. Wiggins got a fluke from Bradley, they couldn't run the ball, and Smoot got burned again. Sounded like another ugly game. That's just my take from fan line. I didn't know the score, but I thought they had lost by what I heard on the radio.

What was your take... without the Purple goggles?

HarveyWallbangers
08-20-2006, 01:10 AM
Alright. I heard Vikings whine line, and I just got done reading through this thread. I can't wait for winners and losers. I'm getting up at 7AM to watch the rebroadcast of this game.

Partial
08-20-2006, 01:46 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the Bubba TD glanced off of DAVID MARTIN'S hands...not Jennings...?

I noticed a couple of balls bouncing off of David Martin tonight......that dude needs a plane ticket out of town. :evil:

amen. He looked like hands 'o steel tonight.

Tarlam!
08-20-2006, 01:55 AM
I'm just now listening to the game - HOW EXCITING!!!!

Guiness
08-20-2006, 07:16 AM
Posting 'bout the pagan plunderers - on a Pack game day thread. *sigh*

Longwell kicking to the end zone? What's up with that?

Don't get me wrong - I'm not dissing Longwell. He was an awesome kicker, and I think he'll serve the Vikings well. But how do you sudenly start kicking to the EZ at this point in his career? That's odd.

A change of scenery can help a player if he wasn't performing to his ability, but that wasn't Longwell's issue.

Patler
08-20-2006, 09:10 AM
Don't get me wrong - I'm not dissing Longwell. He was an awesome kicker, and I think he'll serve the Vikings well. But how do you sudenly start kicking to the EZ at this point in his career? That's odd.

A change of scenery can help a player if he wasn't performing to his ability, but that wasn't Longwell's issue.

Longwell said for years under Sherman that he was capable of reaching the endzone if he was allowed to kick away. Sherman's philosophy was to kick higher and toward one corner of the field. Nothing wrong with that approach. Distance isn't everything. Net distance is.

Rastak
08-20-2006, 09:13 AM

Longwell said for years under Sherman that he was capable of reaching the endzone if he was allowed to kick away. Sherman's philosophy was to kick higher and toward one corner of the field. Nothing wrong with that approach. Distance isn't everything. Net distance is.

That's interesting, I didn't know that. He's been kicking them pretty deep in the two games thus far.

pbmax
08-20-2006, 09:18 AM
Its hard to separate bad coverage from short high kicks, but way too many of Longwell's directional kickoffs landed on the 10 and were returned to the 32.

My guess is the truth is that Longwell can reach the endzone, but the hang time suffers greatly.

Patler
08-20-2006, 09:23 AM
Look at Longwell's average kickoff distances:

1997 - 65.7 (Last year before "K" ball and lower tees, I believe)
1998 - 61.8
1999 - 61.9
2000 - 61.3
2001 - 59.5
2002 - 61.0
2003 - 58.6
2004 - 58.6
2005 - 60.9

Sherman came in 2000, and Longwell's distances dropped. If you recall, most all of his kickoffs were directed toward the return team's left side, and he actually got fairly good at keeping the ball in bounds but close to the sidelines.

Patler
08-20-2006, 09:26 AM
Its hard to separate bad coverage from short high kicks, but way too many of Longwell's directional kickoffs landed on the 10 and were returned to the 32.

My guess is the truth is that Longwell can reach the endzone, but the hang time suffers greatly.

I've ran these stats many times. If you look at the opponents average starting position following a kickoff, the Packers usually ranked right about in the middle of the league. Nothing wrong with that.

Homer Jay
08-20-2006, 09:37 AM
There is still plenty of room for improvement, but, there appear to be play makers on both sides of the ball. The offense has the look of the mid 90's. I think the slant pass is my favorite play in football. Arliss Beach looks like the type of back MM and Jags talk about being right for this scheme. One cut and explode. I'd like to see him get some reps with the starters.

Bretsky
08-20-2006, 10:04 AM
[quote=Guiness]

LONGWELL WILL BE SOLID.

QUESTION TO RASTAK

Who is going to put up the best numbers for the MN Vikings at WR for fantasy purposes ????

I was in an auction the other day and all of the Vikings WR's were there. I ended up with Williamson but nobody bothers with M Robinson or T Taylor.

WHO SHOULD I TAKE ??

B

HarveyWallbangers
08-20-2006, 08:14 PM
Sherman came in 2000, and Longwell's distances dropped. If you recall, most all of his kickoffs were directed toward the return team's left side, and he actually got fairly good at keeping the ball in bounds but close to the sidelines.

Well, he dropped a little in some years and more in others. He's also older. I'd be surprised if he had the same leg strength now that he did 9 years ago. He's a good kicker. He'll be accurate and make the ones he should. He'll hit some 50 yarders indoors, likely not much over 50 outdoors. His kickoffs will be average.

FavreChild
08-20-2006, 09:52 PM
His yoga will help. :roll:

Longwell will be fine - good, in fact. But he only kicked into the EZ once; don't pretend like he's magically awesome at kickoffs just 'cause he wears purple now.

FavreChild
08-20-2006, 09:53 PM
Who is going to put up the best numbers for the MN Vikings at WR for fantasy purposes ????

Depends on whose fantasy...