PDA

View Full Version : official 2014 nfl draft thread

Pages : 1 [2] 3

packrulz
02-08-2014, 12:52 PM
Stephon Tuitt is from notre dame, not FSU

and i will shoot myself in the fucking face is we piss away yet another high draft pick on another 3-4 d-lineman

we don't need linemen with pass rushing skills, we need block eaters
His name is Timmy Jernigan, DT, FSU. So I guess you think our pass rush is good then?

red
02-08-2014, 01:43 PM
His name is Timmy Jernigan, DT, FSU. So I guess you think our pass rush is good then?

and i was responding to your quote where you wrongly said

I would take Stephon Tuitt (Florida State)

no, our pass rush is not good, but i know that the pass rush in the 3-4 comes from the lb's, and its the job of the D-line in the 3-4 to keep the o-line of the line backers

if we keep drafting guys that try and go wide 1v1, then we're going to continue to fail on D

we need FAT, we need SLOW, and we need hard to move guys. not nimble agile, quick guys

tyson jackson is a perfect example of what we need in a 3-4 DE. widely considered a complete bust because he only has 9 career sacks, but he's the perfect 3-4 end. and we can sign him for cheap and quit pissing away high draft picks on linemen that can't play in our system

Guiness
02-08-2014, 03:34 PM
Haven't we been begging for years now for some players with an edge? What's edgier than a guy who's into animal sex? Well, unless he's on the receiving end...

And killing a dude didn't hurt Ray Lewis one bit.

Your objections have been overcome.

So we're down to 'body falling apart' as the only possible objection?

mraynrand
02-08-2014, 04:08 PM
So we're down to 'body falling apart' as the only possible objection?

or body parts falling off, depending on the diseases you pick up from fooling around with animals.

pbmax
03-05-2014, 11:26 AM
Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 34m
#Packers represented by college scouting director Brian Gutekunst at.#Badgers pro day in Madison.

Just a hunch but that has to mean Ted is drafting a Badger.

Unless he plans on drafting Manziel after he falls to 21 and is at the Texas A&M Pro Day today. Which, actually, according to Twitter, he was not.

pbmax
03-05-2014, 11:28 AM
Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 14m
Eliot Wolf at UW pro day for #Packers also. Plus one other representative I don't know.

Ted clearly in disguise then.

pbmax
03-05-2014, 11:30 AM
Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 8m
#Badgers S Dezman Southward cleared all the levers in the vertical jump. Don't know how high that is but there was applause at UW pro day.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 3m
#badgers RB James White, OG Ryan Groy and WR Jared Abbrederis are not taking part in testing. Sticking with combine numbers.

Fritz
03-05-2014, 02:06 PM
IF the Packers select Dezman Southward Bretsky will have a bigger boner than he would if he got to watch two Bikini girls getting it on in a motel room.

pbmax
03-05-2014, 02:44 PM
IF the Packers select Dezman Southward Bretsky will have a bigger boner than he would if he got to watch two Bikini girls getting it on in a motel room.

Closer to Ted's target area:

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 56m
Southward said combine officials thought he had a cracked vertebrae and didn't let him work. Said Dr Robert Watkins said he didn't & is fine

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 54m
Southward said Watkins told him it's a slight herniation but not significant. Said he should have been able to run at the combine.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 1h
#Badgers S Dezman Southward said he ran somewhere between 4.31 to 4.38 in the 40. 42 inches in vertical.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 4m
31-inch vertical, 8'8" broad jump, 30 bench. Ran only 10-yard sprint because of hamstring RT @PigskinPaul: Any numbers on BEAU yet?

red
03-05-2014, 03:56 PM
oh good, lets draft guys with pre existing disk problems

its not enough that we lead the nfl in careers ended due to slip disks already

smuggler
03-05-2014, 04:14 PM
He's not expected to be drafted, from what I've seen, so as an undrafted free agent, I'm all for it.

red
03-05-2014, 04:41 PM
He's not expected to be drafted, from what I've seen, so as an undrafted free agent, I'm all for it.

depends on who's opinion you take

one of my main sites for draft info projects him going in rounds 3-5. they actually have him ranked higher then tre boston

smuggler
03-05-2014, 09:26 PM
If someone takes Southward in the first five rounds, I really hope it's not us.

Joemailman
03-05-2014, 09:44 PM
Some of the sites differ quite a bit on Southward. GBNReport had him 144 on their big board. CBS had him 251. He might have helped himself at Wisconsin's Pro Day today. http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/248623341.html

run pMc
03-06-2014, 10:11 AM
The question I have re: Southward is...can he play safety? I haven't seen him play.
Sounds like he's super athletic, but if he can't tackle or cover is he worth drafting?

Also, with all the vertebrae injuries, his medical may cause a little hesitation. Probably shouldn't, but I'm just sayin'.

Freak Out
03-07-2014, 06:17 PM
Who in the hell is this guy?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/07/ryan-shazier-blazes-at-osu-pro-day/

Joemailman
03-07-2014, 06:29 PM

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/07/ryan-shazier-blazes-at-osu-pro-day/

He's a possible 1st round pick. Most see him as a Will in a 4-3. He'd be kind of small playing OLB in a 3-4.

Rob Rang at CBS has the Packers taking him:

(8-7-1) Ryan Shazier, OLB, Ohio State: For the second consecutive season the Packers were knocked out of the playoffs by Colin Kaepernick and the San Francisco 49ers and therefore improvements to the back end of this defense remains a top priority. Shazier, who possesses this draft's most compelling combination of instincts and explosiveness, would make an immediate impact on this defense.

3irty1
03-07-2014, 06:31 PM

Not surprised, he put on a show at the combine. Some guys on here were already groaning about the thought of another Ohio State LB with through the roof measureables.

You might notice he's got that can't grow hair disease. Makes him aerodynamic.
http://media.screened.com/uploads/0/3197/443249-4323025_std.jpg

Joemailman
03-07-2014, 06:35 PM
Not surprised, he put on a show at the combine. Some guys on here were already groaning about the thought of another Ohio State LB with through the roof measureables.

Plus he has a tweaked hamstring. Sounds like a good fit.

If the Packers drafted him, you think he plays inside or outside?

3irty1
03-07-2014, 06:40 PM
Plus he has a tweaked hamstring. Sounds like a good fit.

If the Packers drafted him, you think he plays inside or outside?

I'd think with that 42 inch vertical you've at least got to give him a chance to be Cam Wake and let him rush the passer. I love that there is a plan B with him where you could easily move him inside though. Super easy to get him on the field.

red
03-07-2014, 06:59 PM
here's an interesting idea that i haven't seen anywhere yet

shazier at safety?

he's obviously athletic and fast enough

he played around 230 this year, a bit lite for any LB, but big for a safety

what are his cover skills like? anyone know?

ok, he's pretty good in the passing game

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000331632/article/ohio-state-lb-ryan-shazier-reinjures-hamstring-at-pro-day

Mayock said Shazier is a great fit for today's NFL because "he's so good in the pass game."

run pMc
03-08-2014, 08:13 PM
Nah, you play him inside at Brad Jones' spot, and find a bigger athlete for Hawk's spot. If he can run like a deer you'd think he could play pass coverage...but you never know. IMO the ILBs lack speed and range.

smuggler
03-08-2014, 08:21 PM
Ryan Shazier is also named Aaron Maybin if you jump into a time machine and go back a few years. But seriously, he's too small, and most likely will never be effective because of it (as a pass rusher). As a traditional linebacker, he might not be bad.

Joemailman
03-08-2014, 08:33 PM
I'd think with that 42 inch vertical you've at least got to give him a chance to be Cam Wake and let him rush the passer. I love that there is a plan B with him where you could easily move him inside though. Super easy to get him on the field.

Wake outweighs him by about 20-25 pounds. My concern with Shazier at OLB would be whether he could set the edge on running plays. I wouldn't mind seeing him lining up next to Hawk though. Hawk is solid, but needs an explosive player to team with. He had it a couple of years with Bishop, but hasn't had it since.

PlantPage55
03-09-2014, 03:00 AM

http://media.screened.com/uploads/0/3197/443249-4323025_std.jpg

I hope he brings a replacement bowl of candy beans with him.

Wouldn't be opposed to Shazier, but I'm hoping for a more marquee guy to slip to #21, rather than a high-ceiling reach.

3irty1
03-09-2014, 07:45 AM
Wake outweighs him by about 20-25 pounds. My concern with Shazier at OLB would be whether he could set the edge on running plays. I wouldn't mind seeing him lining up next to Hawk though. Hawk is solid, but needs an explosive player to team with. He had it a couple of years with Bishop, but hasn't had it since.

Not when he came out he wasn't. Wake was weighed at 236 LBS at the combine, nearly identical to Shazier.

3irty1
03-09-2014, 07:54 AM
Ryan Shazier is also named Aaron Maybin if you jump into a time machine and go back a few years. But seriously, he's too small, and most likely will never be effective because of it (as a pass rusher). As a traditional linebacker, he might not be bad.

That comparison begins and ends with their ability to jump and have long arms. Shazier is a lot faster and changes directions much better. Even accounting for the size difference. Shazier does enough things well that a Von Miller comparison is better.

The Packers played Brad Jones at OLB in their first year as a 3-4 and he was lighter and thinner than Shazier.

Joemailman
03-09-2014, 08:13 AM
That comparison begins and ends with their ability to jump and have long arms. Shazier is a lot faster and changes directions much better. Even accounting for the size difference. Shazier does enough things well that a Von Miller comparison is better.

The Packers played Brad Jones at OLB in their first year as a 3-4 and he was lighter and thinner than Shazier.

And there's a reason Jones was moved inside. He was too small to play OLB. Unless Shazier could get up to about 250, I don't think he can play outside in a 3-4.

3irty1
03-09-2014, 01:09 PM
He's on the low end for sure but he wouldn't be the first to do it. James Harrison was about his size. I just think if you had an athlete like that you'd have to give them a shot to use that speed on the edge where it can do maximum damage. Is it likely he'll succeed at it? No it isn't, but then again the odds of any edge rusher hitting their potential outside of the top 10 are pretty slim. The beauty of Shazier though is that he's also a very safe choice to play inside as well where his all-around game could shine. If MM is serious about cross-training defenders in order to move them around then Shazier has a lot of value because of how easy he is to get on the field.

red
03-09-2014, 01:30 PM
at 247 pounds, hawk had a 40 inch verticle at the combine and at his pro day, some folks there clocked him running the 40 in 4.38, his official time at his pro day was still in the 4.4's

OSU, has historically run their pro days on a very, very fast track

mraynrand
03-09-2014, 05:43 PM
The beauty of Shazier though is that he's also a very safe choice to play inside as well where his all-around game could shine.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b1/Blackhawk_12.jpg

wist43
03-10-2014, 10:45 AM
here's an interesting idea that i haven't seen anywhere yet

shazier at safety?

he's obviously athletic and fast enough

he played around 230 this year, a bit lite for any LB, but big for a safety

what are his cover skills like? anyone know?

ok, he's pretty good in the passing game

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000331632/article/ohio-state-lb-ryan-shazier-reinjures-hamstring-at-pro-day

That what I thought of him too... would only want him as a safety.

The Packers don't like physical safeties though... they want their safeties to be corners. The Packers have never cared if their DB's could tackle or not. If they can? then great, but it certainly isn't a priority for them. They want all their DB's to be able to cover, and that's it.

wist43
03-10-2014, 10:47 AM
Nah, you play him inside at Brad Jones' spot, and find a bigger athlete for Hawk's spot. If he can run like a deer you'd think he could play pass coverage...but you never know. IMO the ILBs lack speed and range.

I'd like to see Mulumba on the field more... I'd prefer he start over either Jones or Hawk.

The Shadow
03-10-2014, 10:54 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b1/Blackhawk_12.jpg

Are you old enough to remember Blackhawk?
Andre, Stamislaus, Olaf, etc?

mraynrand
03-10-2014, 10:57 AM
A more likely TT pickup will be Denicos Allen from MSU. Guy played LB and hit like a hammer at 218. I was worried he was gonna bulk up to try for LB, but word is he is going the safety route. Got snubbed by the combine; will have to find pro day numbers, but his speed was around 4.5. (elsewhere listed as 4.6-8; if he's really that slow it's a no-go). Otherwise, a good SS prospect I think.

mraynrand
03-10-2014, 11:01 AM
Are you old enough to remember Blackhawk?
Andre, Stamislaus, Olaf, etc?

not really. Had a few in the comic book collection back in the day, so vaguely familiar.

mraynrand
03-10-2014, 11:02 AM
I'd like to see Mulumba on the field more... I'd prefer he start over either Jones or Hawk.

He's an OLB.

mraynrand
03-10-2014, 11:05 AM
The Packers have never cared if their DB's could tackle or not. If they can? then great, but it certainly isn't a priority for them. They want all their DB's to be able to cover, and that's it.

Pass coverage is a top priority in a passing league. Still, I seem to remember this guy, Woodson?, who could tackle. I think he was a defensive back. Maybe he was a LB; it's been a few years and my memory is hazy. Some people thought he was pretty good.

woodbuck27
03-10-2014, 07:55 PM

The Packers don't like physical safeties though... they want their safeties to be corners. The Packers have never cared if their DB's could tackle or not. If they can? then great, but it certainly isn't a priority for them. They want all their DB's to be able to cover, and that's it.

That's why they seem to draw straws before one attempts a tackle.

pbmax
03-13-2014, 12:50 PM
Less Likely to Take Top Rated Safety

Detroit Lions (No. 10)

The moves: Signed WR Golden Tate and (reportedly) S James Ihedigbo
What it means: Calvin Johnson has his sidekick in the passing game. Because of Tate’s versatility, the Lions still could target Sammy Watkins or Mike Evans and move Tate to the slot. The odds on that are dwindling, though, given how much Detroit already has invested in its top two receivers. This team also has ample needs elsewhere on the field and just re-signed wide receivers Kris Durham (No. 2 in targets behind Johnson last season) and Kevin Ogletree.

A reach for one of the top safety prospects — Ha Ha Clinton-Dix or Calvin Pryor — stood as a long-shot backup plan. Ihedigbo’s expected arrival crosses that idea off the list, too.

Chicago Bears (No. 15) and Pittsburgh Steelers (No. 16)

The moves: Chicago signed safeties M.D. Jennings and Ryan Mundy; Pittsburgh signed S Mike Mitchell
What it means: That two landing spots for Clinton-Dix, Pryor and other safeties might no longer be on the table. Either team conceivably could still take a safety — Jennings proved in Green Bay that he’s best-suited for a part-time role, and the Steelers kept their guaranteed-money commitment to Mitchell rather low because of worries that he was a flash in the pan with Carolina. The counter-argument is that both the Bears and Steelers have way too many needs all over the field to overload at one position.

Less Likely to trade up for remaining safety

Philadelphia Eagles (No. 22)

The move: Signed S Malcolm Jenkins
What it means: The Eagles absolutely had to improve at the safety position, where Pat Chung really faltered in 2013. Jenkins may not be a perfect defensive player, but he without question makes Philadelphia better there. This had been a prime mock-draft landing spot for a safety — Louisville’s Calvin Pryor, for example. If one of the Eagles’ next moves is to re-sign Nate Allen, the safety-to-Philadelphia gameplan will be in need of revision.

New Orleans Saints (No. 27)

The move: Signed S Jairus Byrd
What it means: A few of the free-agency dominoes fell early this week, including here where the Saints rather surprisingly landed Byrd shortly after Jenkins bolted for Philly. Many of the teams on this list could consider drafting positions at which they’ve already signed players this offseason. This is not one of those situations. With Byrd joining Kenny Vaccaro at safety, the Saints are in better shape there than any team this side of Seattle.

Denver Broncos (No. 31)

The move: Signed everyone
What it means: That Denver can hone in sharply on the best player available. By signing CB Aqib Talib, S T.J. Ward and DE DeMarcus Ware, the Broncos upgraded their defense to a ridiculous degree. (They’ll also have a healthy Von Miller back for 2014.) Talib replaced one of their expected free-agent losses: CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. What Denver has yet to do is find a fill-in for WR Eric Decker, who signed with the Jets on Wednesday. Solving that problem could be the plan at No. 31.

Safeties might be falling down the board. http://nfl.si.com/2014/03/13/2014-nfl-free-agency-impact-nfl-draft/

bobblehead
03-13-2014, 01:05 PM

Now you are entering Red territory with overstating your point.

call_me_ishmael
03-13-2014, 01:08 PM
I feel awful for Wist's wife. Sorry man.

smuggler
03-14-2014, 12:46 AM
Just got done looking through all the inside linebacker prospects in the draft. not a single one looks like a good coverage option to usurp Brad Jones (well, there is maybe one guy, but read below). THAT is probably why he got paid so damn much in free agency. And yet Buffalo has Kiko Alonso... Why can't we find a coverage linebacker?

Telvin Smith of FSU is only about 220#, maybe he could sneak up toward 230#, but he would actually be a pretty advertising nickel linebacker and I bet he'd kick ass on special teams. He almost looks like a WR out there on defense. He's 6'3. Sort of a hybrid SS-LB, but without actual safety experience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfuLAR2gDes

woodbuck27
03-14-2014, 01:12 AM

Ohh CANADA ! :???:

He'll be just fine afterall...he's in TT ad MM's Developmental Program. It's the envy of the entire NFL.

Smidgeon
03-14-2014, 10:37 AM
Obviously TT knows they need safety help this year. Cutting McMillian because of regression and letting Jennings walk in FA means he has one starting-caliber safety on the roster, one maybe, and one project. I think he knows he needs to pick up another and this time with relative certainty of success. Even if he grabs a bargain bin safety in the fading days of free agency, I think he's targeting one in the draft. BUT, being what our draft history always seems to be, the two teams in front of the Packers will select Clinton-Dix and Pryor, leaving us scrambling.

So what to do then? Trade down? BPA? The biggest hole on the team seems to be safety. It's like a field medic, patching up all sorts of hemorrhaging holes in front of them. If the Packers don't get Clinton-Dix or Pryor, I don't think I'll have a lot of faith in the pass defense again. Of course, this is barring the unlikely: that the seventh round safety plays like a first round pick...

mraynrand
03-14-2014, 10:58 AM
I feel pretty good about Richardson near the LOS. Hyde has shown some good stuff in the slot, but I'de prefer Hayward there. APRH, between Richardson, Hyde, Hayward, and Burnett, I think they can field an adequate safety rotation, but they have no depth.

3irty1
03-14-2014, 11:20 AM
I feel pretty good about Richardson near the LOS. Hyde has shown some good stuff in the slot, but I'de prefer Hayward there. APRH, between Richardson, Hyde, Hayward, and Burnett, I think they can field an adequate safety rotation, but they have no depth.

That's how I feel too.

The Shadow
03-14-2014, 12:23 PM
What think ye all of Max Bullough, LB?

mraynrand
03-14-2014, 12:33 PM

big and slower. 242lbs, 4.78 40 I think at pro day. Character problems! Good instincts, good tackler, good ILB. Would be adequate replacement for Hawk, but would be less agile.

3irty1
03-14-2014, 12:50 PM
big and slower. 242lbs, 4.78 40 I think at pro day. Character problems! Good instincts, good tackler, good ILB. Would be adequate replacement for Hawk, but would be less agile.

Not sure I agree with character problems. He violated team rules and was held out of the rosebowl but nobody knows his side of the story. We also know that he's a two-time team captain and a good student. He doesn't strike me as a troubled kid or anything. He's from snobby wine-country Michigan.

It wouldn't surprise me if he made the top 100. He's not as physical as he should be for a guy his size and strength but he's got a good all-around game and gives good effort. Very decisive player.

mraynrand
03-14-2014, 12:52 PM
^^^ I was kinda joking about the character problems. But as I said elsewhere, we really don't know about these guys. Cocktails, ladies?

red
03-18-2014, 04:27 PM
really? its draft season and we're gonna let the draft thread fall to the second page?

bump

Zool
03-18-2014, 05:47 PM
really? its draft season and we're gonna let the draft thread fall to the second page?

bump

We're still 7 weeks from the draft. It's going to be quite a while yet

HarveyWallbangers
03-18-2014, 05:53 PM
I think I'm hoping for Ebron or Mosley in round 1. Somebody tell me why I shouldn't like WR Jordan Matthews, S Terrence Brooks, S Jimmie Ward, or OT Billy Turner in the next couple of rounds? Those are some guys that are intriguing to me. Turner is a homer pick.

Bretsky
03-18-2014, 06:45 PM
I think I'm hoping for Ebron or Mosley in round 1. Somebody tell me why I shouldn't like WR Jordan Matthews, S Terrence Brooks, S Jimmie Ward, or OT Billy Turner in the next couple of rounds? Those are some guys that are intriguing to me. Turner is a homer pick.

I started pimping Ebron really early; I still doubt he falls but if he does tough to pass him

Mosely......be fine with...ditto for Prior.

I'd like to take a high end talent guy as opposed to a plugger in round one.

That's my wishlist....P.S. I assume the top safety is gone

run pMc
03-18-2014, 09:03 PM

I'm with you on Matthews and Brooks. I think there's a chance they could be there in R2 and 3, respectively. Of course, because I like them they will both likely be busts...

Also with you re: Ebron and Mosley.
Third choice is probably Nix.
I don't think HaHa will be there and I don't think Pryor is the BPA at 21.

smuggler
03-18-2014, 09:49 PM
Terrence Brooks has been dominating testing drills so he'll be overdrafted. He has no ball skills at all and cannot catch to save his life. If he did, though, he would be going in round 1 possibly as the first safety off the board.

We're in a good spot because one of Ebron, HaHa, or Mosley is probably going to fall to us.

red
03-18-2014, 10:19 PM
i just read that there's some concern about mosley's knee, and that some insider type folks are now expecting him to slide, maybe even out of the 1st

Joemailman
03-18-2014, 10:22 PM
i just read that there's some concern about mosley's knee, and that some insider type folks are now expecting him to slide, maybe even out of the 1st

Which could be someone wanting to draft Mosley and hoping he slides to them.

pbmax
03-18-2014, 11:02 PM
Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 17m
Rare day for #Packers. About 10 pro days on schedule but found them at only three. Sleeper WR Jeremy Butler, D-II All-American at UT-Martin.

red
03-19-2014, 08:31 AM
Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 17m
Rare day for #Packers. About 10 pro days on schedule but found them at only three. Sleeper WR Jeremy Butler, D-II All-American at UT-Martin.

interesting

he's from tennessee-martin. 6'2, 218, 4.55ish speed

in his 2 years at tenn-martin he had 141 catches for 1953 yards and 20 tds

the problem is, it sounds like a lot of teams are watching this kids

3irty1
03-19-2014, 09:11 AM

Jordan Matthews you should like. Pretty much a Jordy Nelson clone IMO.
Brooks I'm not a fan of. He's got the right mindset in that he's got a downhill attitude for a guy who can cover pretty well. As it stands today though he's a pretty awful tackler even by Packer standards.
Ward is an animal but I have a feeling other teams will have him rated higher than Ted because of his size. Ted has proven over and over that he has no hard and fast rules though.
Turner is possible I guess. He's mean and somewhat versatile. My guess is that he'd have to fall a little bit for Ted to go for it. I see a handfull of Ted's favorite mold in the late rounds so I think we'll nab our OL depth there.

gbgary
03-19-2014, 12:58 PM
just looked at few mocks...ebron, pryor, ward, and hageman names come up the most.

mraynrand
03-19-2014, 01:00 PM
just looked at few mocks...ebron, pryor, ward, and hageman names come up the most.

yup. meaning teddy will Darqueze the Charmin.

red
03-19-2014, 03:06 PM
no visits for ebron to the packers yet

Eric Ebron has four team visits scheduled

UNC TE Eric Ebron has team visits scheduled with the Bills, Lions, Ravens and Panthers.
Ebron listed these four as official team visits, which teams only have a finite amount of (30). The athletic tight end added he will not try to improve on his 4.60 forty from the Combine. Ebron will likely play a similar role to Vernon Davis in the NFL, but he needs to improve his inline presence to do so. The athleticism is there to rack up yards after the catch, however, Ebron can improve at the catch point, as he dropped over 11 percent of his catchable targets in 2013.

yikes, i noticed on the game films that he drops his fair share of balls

red
03-19-2014, 03:11 PM

you're seeing ward mocked in the first? or is that second round? i haven't seen him going in the first anywhere yet, but ward kinda is a big "unknown" right now. he had a great season for a mid major against a lot of NOT top tier talent, then had a really good senior bowl, then missed the combine and might miss his proday due to a foot injury

he's a wildcard imo, but first round might be a reach, i can see second round for him though

Fritz
03-19-2014, 04:51 PM

yikes, i noticed on the game films that he drops his fair share of balls

I think if your balls don't drop you become a woman.

pbmax
03-19-2014, 07:08 PM

I think the Packers do not have kids they like come to visit. They reserve the visits to UDFAs and later round guys.

gbgary
03-19-2014, 09:41 PM
you're seeing ward mocked in the first? or is that second round?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock-draft

saw dix and mosley on some others.

smuggler
03-20-2014, 02:02 AM
the first is too high for Jim Ward. If they fall in love with him, they can trade back and still probably get him.

mraynrand
03-20-2014, 08:21 AM
I think if your balls don't drop you become a woman.

No. Ruprecht the Monkey Boy

http://i.imgur.com/7ADMMgW.gif

pbmax
03-20-2014, 10:11 AM
Michael Tanier ‏@MikeTanier 2h
Rewatching the Poinsettia Bowl. My Jimmy Ward prospect crush has just been upgraded from "squicky" to "creepy"

red
03-20-2014, 10:25 AM
alright, you guys want jommy ward, you got him

this is the 2013 orange bowl against ej manual and florida state (last year,not this year)

some things you'll notice

1. he looks pretty small
2. he lines up all over the place (safety and CB) but plays a lot up near the line
3. he doesn't miss tackles
4. he makes just about every single play in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJCN2kOy4Uk

red
03-20-2014, 10:35 AM
heres the game from toledo this year. now he's playing deep most of the time.

there is no box before the snap to sho you which one he is, he's #15 and usually lined up off the screen at the snap.

a few days back i look at deone bucannon, and mention he looked very raw, but good size. (missed a lot of tackles, gambled a lot). ward looks to be the exact opposite, smaller, but a sure tackler and good defender

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltZz-MBZVpc

red
03-20-2014, 10:40 AM
and here is this years Poinsettia Bowl

kid can play, thats for sure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPuqNovStRs

mraynrand
03-20-2014, 01:26 PM
Matt Millen: "He hits him low (the QB) which is nice and safe" - What an idiot.

Ward looks tiny out there

Fritz
03-20-2014, 01:30 PM
Well, I don't know exactly what to look for, so I can't really say fer sure, but he looks like a willing tackler. I didn't see people trying to block him much. He just kinda wandered around free and ended up making a bunch of tackles.

I wonder how his cover skills are? And if he's pretty quick at picking up defenses?

gbgary
03-20-2014, 02:32 PM
i'll say it...chuckish!

Joemailman
03-20-2014, 02:41 PM
Well, I don't know exactly what to look for, so I can't really say fer sure, but he looks like a willing tackler. I didn't see people trying to block him much. He just kinda wandered around free and ended up making a bunch of tackles.

I wonder how his cover skills are? And if he's pretty quick at picking up defenses?

There were reports his coverage skills were pretty good at the Senior Bowl. His stock kind of went up after that.

red
03-20-2014, 03:18 PM
i'll say it...chuckish!

yeah, thats the name that came to my mind too watching those video

i didn't want to go on record as saying it though

pbmax
03-21-2014, 12:11 PM
Rob Demovsky ‏@RobDemovsky 28m
How many more draft picks will the #Packers get? They'll find out next week.
http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/8476/will-the-packers-get-more-draft-picks …

Someone at philly.com is guessing a 3rd (Jennings) and a 6th (Walden).

The guy (Craig Turner) guessing has a history of some success, but its not clear if he was the guy who invented this guesswork.

Twitter for CT: https://twitter.com/ct17draftnut

Last year's picks: http://bloggingthebeast.com/2013/03/18/grading-our-compensatory-pick-projections-2/

3irty1
03-21-2014, 12:18 PM
Can you get away with being both small and slow in the NFL? You put Ward's brain in Sean Richardson's body and you've got a hall of famer.

gbgary
03-21-2014, 06:45 PM
Can you get away with being both small and slow in the NFL? You put Ward's brain in Sean Richardson's body and you've got a hall of famer.

slow?

pbmax
03-26-2014, 11:35 AM
Sports On Earth, 3 man Mock Draft.

Packers get a WR, a CB and a Safety. Doesn't really break the Packers way. Mosley, Prior and Ebron gone.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/70102364/nfl-mock-draft-2014-free-agency-teddy-bridgewater-khalil-mack-blake-bortles

denverYooper
03-26-2014, 01:12 PM
Sports On Earth, 3 man Mock Draft.

Packers get a WR, a CB and a Safety. Doesn't really break the Packers way. Mosley, Prior and Ebron gone.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/70102364/nfl-mock-draft-2014-free-agency-teddy-bridgewater-khalil-mack-blake-bortles

Dark Eyes!

red
03-27-2014, 09:25 AM
heres a couple of game films of terrence brooks from this season, since joe and a couple others have brought him up lately

again, he does make some really nice plays, but to me, it looks like he doesn't "finish plays" all the time

he's #31 if the little boxes don't work for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RABIB7an9V0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43dO83lAxIY

Zool
03-27-2014, 11:26 AM
He hits around the shoulders like everyone else in the GB secondary. Played lower in the Pitt game.

mraynrand
03-27-2014, 03:10 PM
Brooks: plays deep, good range, pretty decent tackler, decent recognition. Better than Peprah.

gbgary
03-27-2014, 08:53 PM
J. Football had a fantastic pro day. hope jerry jones loses his head and drafts him. that'll help us out as they're projected to draft a safety in some mocks.

pbmax
03-27-2014, 09:46 PM
J. Football had a fantastic pro day. hope jerry jones loses his head and drafts him. that'll help us out as they're projected to draft a safety in some mocks.

I'm kinda rooting for the kid just so a bunch of pundits can eat some crow. There have been precious few great QB quotes since Ken Stabler said he studied the playbook by the light of the jukebox.

woodbuck27
03-28-2014, 04:34 AM
alright, you guys want jommy ward, you got him

this is the 2013 orange bowl against ej manual and florida state (last year,not this year)

some things you'll notice

1. he looks pretty small
2. he lines up all over the place (safety and CB) but plays a lot up near the line
3. he doesn't miss tackles
4. he makes just about every single play in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJCN2kOy4Uk

An impressive football player.

He looks small but plays courageously. He sneaks into position fast.

He tackles effectively and in this game he's a tackling machine. He had a great day.

red
03-28-2014, 07:54 PM
heres an interesting prospect

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/nfl-draft--canadian-college-offensive-tackle-could-be-picked-on-second-day-203607891.html

LT- Laurent (larry) Duvernay-Tardif

a dominate force up there north of the boarder

could be our midround LT-G-C prospect for this year

pbmax
04-02-2014, 08:42 PM
Here you go, all around knowledgeable ex-NFL player (and former Packer) Matt Bowen answers the question: what exactly is available at safety in the draft?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2014835-brs-matt-bowen-top-5-impact-safeties-in-the-2014-nfl-draft

Unfortunately, its just video.

run pMc
04-02-2014, 09:22 PM
Here you go, all around knowledgeable ex-NFL player (and former Packer) Matt Bowen answers the question: what exactly is available at safety in the draft?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2014835-brs-matt-bowen-top-5-impact-safeties-in-the-2014-nfl-draft

Unfortunately, its just video.

In case you don't want to watch/listen, Bowen lists his top 5 safeties:
HaHa
C.Pryor
J.Ward
D.Bucannon
T.Brooks

Seems about right to me. I think they'll all be gone within top 80 picks.

smuggler
04-03-2014, 12:32 AM
Yeah. That's the order they're going off the board. Brooks might jump Bucannon because of his 40 time. Maybe one of those guys is available with our comp pick in the third round. Maybe, but probably not.

Fritz
04-03-2014, 06:11 AM
In case you don't want to watch/listen, Bowen lists his top 5 safeties:
HaHa
C.Pryor
J.Ward
D.Bucannon
T.Brooks

Seems about right to me. I think they'll all be gone within top 80 picks.

Wouldn't you love to be able to see the Packer scouting reports and rankings on these guys? TT manages to surprise us often enough that it's possible one of these players isn't even on this list, and instead some cornerback-just-turned-safety from Middle Montana Tech is ranked third on his list.

run pMc
04-03-2014, 07:34 AM
Wouldn't you love to be able to see the Packer scouting reports and rankings on these guys? TT manages to surprise us often enough that it's possible one of these players isn't even on this list, and instead some cornerback-just-turned-safety from Middle Montana Tech is ranked third on his list.

I would. Those guys know 10x more about football and college scouting than I ever will. Given that I watch virtually no football on Saturday afternoons and TT and Co. watch several (if not dozens of) hours per prospect, I'd be curious to take a look at his board and how these guys rank. I don't think it will ever be leaked Jerrah Jones style though.

Wouldn't be surprised if there's somebody else like Tre Boston in the #4 or 5 safety ranking that TT likes better.

Pugger
04-03-2014, 10:24 AM
An impressive football player.

He looks small but plays courageously. He sneaks into position fast.

He tackles effectively and in this game he's a tackling machine. He had a great day.\

So that's what a tackling safety looks like? :whaa:

jklowan
04-03-2014, 10:38 AM
Trade down one spot with Philly
Round 1 Pick 22 (PHI): Calvin Pryor, FS, Louisville
Round 2 Pick 21: Troy Niklas, TE, Notre Dame
Round 3 Pick 21: Travis Swanson, C, Arkansas
Extra Pick from Philly
Round 3 Pick 22 (PHI): Anthony Johnson, DT, LSU
Round 3 Pick 34 (COMP): Chris Smith, DE, Arkansas
Round 4 Pick 21: Ahmad Dixon, SS, Baylor
Round 5 Pick 21: David Fales, QB, San Jose State
Round 5 Pick 36 (COMP): Cody Latimer, WR, Indiana
Round 6 Pick 21: Brock Croyle, ILB, Montana
Round 7 Pick 21: DeDe Lattimore, ILB, South Florida

run pMc
04-03-2014, 04:30 PM
Extra Pick from Philly

With this draft, you could have the law firm of Lattimore, Lattimore, and Latimer on your roster.
Kidding aside, good attempt, although I have a hard time picturing TT drafting a C in R3 with Nelson, Cobb and Boykin all free agents next season and Driver, Jennings, and Jones gone. TT tends to draft OT's and make Campen turn them into interior linemen.

The Prior/Dixon combo is a nice idea, and I'm coming around on Niklas apprenticing under Quarless and Bostick.

red
04-03-2014, 05:13 PM
Extra Pick from Philly

in this scenario, i don't think there's any way the eagles would trade with us, if pryor is there, and not take pryor

it seems to be the general consensus that the eagles will take pryor at #22 if available

Fritz
04-03-2014, 05:58 PM
Extra Pick from Philly

Why in God's name would Philly give up a third round pick to move up a single slot?

Brandon494
04-03-2014, 06:10 PM
in this scenario, i don't think there's any way the eagles would trade with us, if pryor is there, and not take pryor

it seems to be the general consensus that the eagles will take pryor at #22 if available

And the fact teams that trade to move up 1 spot in the draft, especially not for a 3rd rounder.

red
04-03-2014, 06:21 PM
#21= 700 points
#22= 680 points

pick 182 (22nd pick of 6th round)= 18.6 point

pbmax
04-12-2014, 08:38 AM
I am sure this rumor is airtight.

Birds 24/7 ‏@Birds247 33m
Per a report, the Eagles are "very high" on Texas A&M WR Mike Evans and "would consider trading up to grab him." http://goo.gl/qxldSL

pbmax
04-12-2014, 09:08 AM
From Mortenson at ESPN through Rotoworld

Even after struggling at his Pro Day, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported Friday that Louisville QB Teddy Bridgewater's private workouts with NFL clubs "have also gone very shakily."
Mort believes Bridgewater's forthcoming draft-day slide won't occur solely because of his Pro Day. He says Bridgewater's private passing sessions with teams have been underwhelming, too. Mortensen added that teams remain concerned with Bridgewater's smallish hands. Once considered the likely No. 1 overall pick, Bridgewater's fall could ultimately mimic Geno Smith's from last year.

pbmax
04-12-2014, 09:22 AM
Writeup on Shazier, a common pick for the Packers in the mocks. http://nfl.si.com/2014/04/11/2014-nfl-draft-top-64-timmy-jernigan/

Conclusion: One of the most obvious NFL trends over the last few years is the linebacker who can play at several positions, and is light and fast enough to have an impact in a 360-degree sense. More and more, teams are sacrificing the old model of the linebacker in favor of those athletes who can do everything from run support to flex tight end coverage. Shazier is a prime example of that paradigm, and this should put him at the precipice of the first round, if not higher. There are power and strength issues here, but unless you somehow happen to land the 2000 version of Ray Lewis, you’re generally going to have to sacrifice something in the equation. Shazier said at the combine that his style compares to that of Tampa Bay’s Lavonte David, but I’ll go with Bobby Wagner, as I believe Shazier has a bit more pop to his game.

Would not replace Hawk as the absorber of the Guard or FB block, but would close a lot of holes. Also could work as nickel and dime backer. Since he can pass rush, you could use him in multiple places in different formations.

mraynrand
04-12-2014, 10:57 AM
From Mortenson at ESPN through Rotoworld

Even after struggling at his Pro Day, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported Friday that Louisville QB Teddy Bridgewater's private workouts with NFL clubs "have also gone very shakily."
Mort believes Bridgewater's forthcoming draft-day slide won't occur solely because of his Pro Day. He says Bridgewater's private passing sessions with teams have been underwhelming, too. Mortensen added that teams remain concerned with Bridgewater's smallish hands. Once considered the likely No. 1 overall pick, Bridgewater's fall could ultimately mimic Geno Smith's from last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjNgn4r6SOA

Guiness
04-12-2014, 01:10 PM
Any thoughts on Jimmy Garappolo from Eastern Illinois? They're Div 1-AA. I happened to catch one of their games, and he looked good, and he's coming out this year. I did find this article on him
http://da.radio.cbssports.com/2014/04/09/dino-babers-jimmy-garoppolo-has-one-of-the-fastest-releases-ive-seen-since-dan-marino/

Interesting, I wonder where he ranks?

Joemailman
04-12-2014, 01:21 PM
He's seen as a 2nd round pick by CBS. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1760229/jimmy-garoppolo Things didn't work out so well the last time TT drafted a QB in the 2nd round. :doh::bang:

Guiness
04-12-2014, 03:08 PM
He's seen as a 2nd round pick by CBS. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1760229/jimmy-garoppolo Things didn't work out so well the last time TT drafted a QB in the 2nd round. :doh::bang:

lol, no. And that was a guy who was, at one point, projected as a possible #1!

Didn't know he was graded that high - 5th at his position, right after the big 4, Carr, Bridgewater, Manziel and Bortles that are all projected top half of the first. So ya, I would expect a team that wasn't looking to draft an opening day starter take him in the second or at latest, the third. I thought he might be hanging around in the 5th or later, and could be picked up as a Matt Flynn-like prospect.

He broke all of Romo's records, but seeing Romo went undrafted that's not a big deal.

bobblehead
04-13-2014, 10:25 AM
lol, no. And that was a guy who was, at one point, projected as a possible #1!

Didn't know he was graded that high - 5th at his position, right after the big 4, Carr, Bridgewater, Manziel and Bortles that are all projected top half of the first. So ya, I would expect a team that wasn't looking to draft an opening day starter take him in the second or at latest, the third. I thought he might be hanging around in the 5th or later, and could be picked up as a Matt Flynn-like prospect.

He broke all of Romo's records, but seeing Romo went undrafted that's not a big deal.

There are only going to be 2 QBs drafted top half of the first. I think Bortles and Manziel will go, but you won't see a 3rd QB go until AFTER we pick.

Guiness
04-13-2014, 11:06 AM
There are only going to be 2 QBs drafted top half of the first. I think Bortles and Manziel will go, but you won't see a 3rd QB go until AFTER we pick.

It certainly seems like Bridgewater has shit the bed, although SI still has him rated as the top QB in the draft.
http://nfl.si.com/2014/04/11/2014-nfl-draft-position-rankings-quarterbacks/?eref=sihp/
so who knows.

Manziel has become interesting. His combine 40 combined with his Wonderlific score, plus the athleticism we already knew he had makes me re-evaluate him. I've seen some say that his Wonderlific isn't that great because it doesn't even put him in the top 10 of QBs who started a game in 2013, but have those morons heard of grading on a curve? His score was the HIGHEST of the year. The sample size should be big enough to show that the low scores are because the test was slightly harder than usual.

QBs with higher Wonderlifics

Blaine Gabbert - 42
Alex Smith - 40
Eli Manning - 39
Matt Flynn - 38
Colin Kaepernick - 38
Matt Stafford - 38
Andrew Luck - 37
Tony Romo - 37
Sam Bradford - 36
Christian Ponder - 35
Aaron Rodgers - 35
Ryan Tannehill - 34
Tom Brady - 33

smuggler
04-13-2014, 02:56 PM
Pretty sure that the Vikings will draft Bridgewater now with all of this stuff pushing down his draft stock. All through last year, and until the start of the evaluation season, he was solidly considered the #1 QB in the draft. I swear to God... if they draft him and he becomes great I will never forgive the Browns.

Garoppolo will get drafted in the 2nd round by somebody. Teams are just too starved for competent QB play to let him slip out of the 2nd. He's pretty similar to Matt Ryan, a guy some people consider to be a top-10 or even top-5 QB in the league. If Garoppolo had gone to a higher profile college, he might even have snuck into the first round or supplanted Carr as the #4 QB.

HarveyWallbangers
04-13-2014, 03:25 PM
It certainly seems like Bridgewater has shit the bed, although SI still has him rated as the top QB in the draft.
http://nfl.si.com/2014/04/11/2014-nfl-draft-position-rankings-quarterbacks/?eref=sihp/
so who knows.

Manziel has become interesting. His combine 40 combined with his Wonderlific score, plus the athleticism we already knew he had makes me re-evaluate him. I've seen some say that his Wonderlific isn't that great because it doesn't even put him in the top 10 of QBs who started a game in 2013, but have those morons heard of grading on a curve? His score was the HIGHEST of the year. The sample size should be big enough to show that the low scores are because the test was slightly harder than usual.

Do you know that the test was harder or is this batch of QBs not as smart?

Guiness
04-13-2014, 04:33 PM
Do you know that the test was harder or is this batch of QBs not as smart?

My understanding is that his score was not just the highest QB but the highest of anyone who took it this year - I could be wrong. If his score was QBs only, then the sample size was not large enough to make any assumptions about the difficulty of the test.

Fritz
04-14-2014, 06:25 AM
I am sure this rumor is airtight.

Birds 24/7 ‏@Birds247 33m
Per a report, the Eagles are "very high" on Texas A&M WR Mike Evans and "would consider trading up to grab him." http://goo.gl/qxldSL

Here's the link to a Detroit News article in which the beat writer claims the Lions are seriously interested in Sammy Watkins, and are willing to trade up to get him:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140412/SPORTS0101/304120032

It appears that the Lions are "all in" for this year, so for those of you arguing that TT should act in the same aggressive manner, this may be a chance to see how that works.

Looks like the Lions might be willing to give up their #10, a third, and a first or second next year in order to secure Watkins at the #3 or 4 spot in the draft - much like Atlanta with Julio Jones.

As the Anti-Lions fan, I think I'd love to see them do this. Yes, they'd have automatically the best receiving corps in the league - Megatron, Golden (Shower) Tate, and Watkins, but in a deep draft, to give up a third rounder, then a first or second next year...that's a lot. And remember, the Lions' defense is suffering from a lack of depth and talent at the corner spot and linebacker. Oh, and the negotiations to re-negotiate Suh's contract (this would be the second time they've done it) are dragging on.

So this is a team that is rolling the dice for this year, it seems. They signed two free agents - oen big one (Tate), and one middlin' one (Idhegibo). They're using free agency to plug holes, like they did with Reggie Bush last year.

They're very tight against the cap, what with Suh being owed I don't know how many millions this year, plus Stafford and Bush and Calvin Johnson having big contracts.

So here's our lab experiment. Let's see if the Lions pull the trigger on this trade, and if so, how it works to try to win rightnow, future be damned.

texaspackerbacker
04-14-2014, 08:28 AM
Isn't this kinda Deja Vu from a decade or two ago when the Lions got a couple of high first round WRs in a short period of years and had the "best WR corps in the NFL"? Hopefully this will work out equally well for them hahahaha.

Joemailman
04-14-2014, 08:32 AM
Here's the link to a Detroit News article in which the beat writer claims the Lions are seriously interested in Sammy Watkins, and are willing to trade up to get him:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140412/SPORTS0101/304120032

It appears that the Lions are "all in" for this year, so for those of you arguing that TT should act in the same aggressive manner, this may be a chance to see how that works.

Looks like the Lions might be willing to give up their #10, a third, and a first or second next year in order to secure Watkins at the #3 or 4 spot in the draft - much like Atlanta with Julio Jones.

As the Anti-Lions fan, I think I'd love to see them do this. Yes, they'd have automatically the best receiving corps in the league - Megatron, Golden (Shower) Tate, and Watkins, but in a deep draft, to give up a third rounder, then a first or second next year...that's a lot. And remember, the Lions' defense is suffering from a lack of depth and talent at the corner spot and linebacker. Oh, and the negotiations to re-negotiate Suh's contract (this would be the second time they've done it) are dragging on.

So this is a team that is rolling the dice for this year, it seems. They signed two free agents - oen big one (Tate), and one middlin' one (Idhegibo). They're using free agency to plug holes, like they did with Reggie Bush last year.

They're very tight against the cap, what with Suh being owed I don't know how many millions this year, plus Stafford and Bush and Calvin Johnson having big contracts.

So here's our lab experiment. Let's see if the Lions pull the trigger on this trade, and if so, how it works to try to win rightnow, future be damned.

Do they think they don't need a defense to win right now? Let them do it. Atlanta found out how well it works.

Fritz
04-14-2014, 09:39 AM
The Suh thing is gumming up the works for them, though they say they're perfectly happy to go into the season without finishing the renegotiation.

All I know is that when you renegotiate to get more cap space, you've got to give the player something. And that something is usually more money down the road. The Lions are, in my estimation, heading to a cap hell if they renegotiate this contract with Suh. And I'm not buying that "boo hoo we got lots of high picks before the last CBA so we're screwed paying those rookies all this money." That may have been so for a while, but the same management team has extended Stafford before really needing to, and renegotiated Suh's and Johnson's contracts already, and signed FA's freely.

bobblehead
04-14-2014, 11:37 AM
I am going on record right now that Carr goes to NE with their 1st round pick. I am assuming he is the QB that gets to them, but if its one of the other "4" then I think they will draft whichever is available.

mraynrand
04-14-2014, 12:06 PM
I am going on record right now that Carr goes to NE with their 1st round pick. I am assuming he is the QB that gets to them, but if its one of the other "4" then I think they will draft whichever is available.

you think they don't like Mallett?

Guiness
04-14-2014, 01:03 PM
you think they don't like Mallett?

No reason to think they don't, and since he's still on the team I think they like him fine. If he's there, their phone rings and they move back to the top of the second.

I don't see that happening though. The scenario I envision is some of the teams at the top of the draft passing on a QB the first time around then trading back into the end of the first round once a QB goes off the board and they know a run is going to start. One of the teams I could see starting the run would be the Jets at #18 (they have to know Smith is a bomb), which would put the Pack in a good spot. It could start as late at Cleveland's second first round pick at #26, but I don't see that happening.

This would mean the players that go at the top of the first would be Watkins, Clowney, Mathews, Robinson, Mack...

MadtownPacker
04-14-2014, 01:33 PM
TT should draft a Fresno State player, Derek Carr.

mraynrand
04-14-2014, 02:40 PM
TT should draft a Fresno State player, Derek Carr.

Browns like him, and actually looked at him (unlike other QBs). Speculation they may take him/trade down (with whom??) and take him.

Joemailman
04-14-2014, 03:25 PM
Browns like him, and actually looked at him (unlike other QBs). Speculation they may take him/trade down (with whom??) and take him.

Maybe the Lions, if the Lions are serious about trading up to take Sammy Watkins.

pbmax
04-14-2014, 04:46 PM

I thought I read that despite initial reports, they had met with all the top QBs?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/03/browns-to-work-out-johnny-manziel-in-2-3-weeks/

mraynrand
04-14-2014, 09:29 PM
I thought I read that despite initial reports, they had met with all the top QBs?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/03/browns-to-work-out-johnny-manziel-in-2-3-weeks/

They didn't go to pro days for some.

woodbuck27
04-15-2014, 05:43 AM

"Needs to continue to improve his decision-making and not allow pressure to severely alter his process. Bad habit of forcing throws in small windows. Lower-than-ideal release point with an almost side-arm motion.

Needs to get his feet under control on a consistent basis and regularly step into his throws. Must continue and develop his pocket awareness and internal clock to feel pressure. Holds the ball too long at times and will take unnecessary hits.

Experience is in a FCS spread, shotgun attack; needs to become more acclimated with under-center snaps." LINK

The man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBoj4bQCaQs

Jimmy Garoppolo Eastern Illinois Highlights ᴴᴰ "The Man"

Fritz
04-15-2014, 05:55 AM
Maybe the Lions, if the Lions are serious about trading up to take Sammy Watkins.

They are. I posted a link elsewhere about this - t hey're being rather up front about it all. I could see this happening.

pbmax
04-17-2014, 08:43 AM
Data mining idea: go back through each year of PackerRats and find first 2000x (where x is the current season +1) Draft Thread and record the date it starts. See if it correlates with the Packers final regular season record.

pbmax
04-17-2014, 08:45 AM
SI_DougFarrar ‏@SI_DougFarrar 10h
New on SI: 2014 NFL draft position rankings: Calvin Pryor, Ha Ha Clinton-Dix lead deep safety class http://nfl.si.com/2014/04/16/2014-nfl-draft-position-rankings-safety-calvin-pryor/ …

http://t.co/KZLbCDXqdq

And for Harv, Farrar thinks Vereen could be a decent 3rd round pick, but likes him as slot CB more than just safety.

SI_DougFarrar ‏@SI_DougFarrar 17h
Would I take Brock Vereen in the third round and make him a stellar slot cornerback? You damn right I would.

mraynrand
04-17-2014, 09:29 AM
Would I take Brock Vereen in the third round and make him a stellar slot cornerback? You damn right I would.

Love the unswerving confidence of an armchair GM!

Brandon494
04-17-2014, 11:43 AM
I like Brock Vereen, his game reminds me a lot of Hyde even though they play different positions. I also like how they say he is too small but his 25 bench reps were among the best of all the DBs in the draft while Jimmie Ward could only do 9 reps. :sad:

smuggler
04-17-2014, 03:01 PM
Smaller players have it easier in the bench department, but are nonetheless inferior (in most cases) when it comes to actual practical strength.

run pMc
04-17-2014, 03:28 PM
SI_DougFarrar ‏@SI_DougFarrar 10h
New on SI: 2014 NFL draft position rankings: Calvin Pryor, Ha Ha Clinton-Dix lead deep safety class http://nfl.si.com/2014/04/16/2014-nfl-draft-position-rankings-safety-calvin-pryor/ …

http://t.co/KZLbCDXqdq

And for Harv, Farrar thinks Vereen could be a decent 3rd round pick, but likes him as slot CB more than just safety.

So the safety class is deep? Wasn't someone saying it was just Ha-Ha and also-rans until Prior declared to make it a two horse race? If that makes for a deep class they must be saying the QB class is the Mariana Trench.

run pMc
04-17-2014, 03:29 PM
Love the unswerving confidence of an armchair GM!

LOL so true and yet we're all guilty of it. What makes him so sure he'll be great as a slot CB?

The Shadow
04-17-2014, 10:40 PM

Ah.... I see the Packers are interested in him - unless it's just a smokescreen.

run pMc
04-18-2014, 08:01 AM
Ah.... I see the Packers are interested in him - unless it's just a smokescreen.

The story being floated by JSO is that TT loves Bullough because he's instinctive and made the defensive calls at MSU. Also the coaches supposedly raved about his ability to pick up and run the defense at whatever draft bowl game (East-West?) he was in.
Seems productive enough, worry about sudden weight gain after the mystery suspension. Maybe he's got a mental condition and his meds weren't right. Bullough isn't saying much about the Rose Bowl suspension, but he's not making it sound like a big deal either so I don't think it's a DUI, pot, or pulling a Darren Sharper.

The other thing is I'm not sure from an athletic standpoint he's an upgrade over what's there already. Maybe the instincts, etc., can make up for that, but I'd worry about his pass coverage skills. He might be ok as Hawk's replacement, but I think a Mosley/Shazier type would be better Jones' replacement.

(Bear in mind I base this from video clips and interwebz posts. I don't have time to watch football on Saturdays.)

I think a lot of teams probably like Bullough in the middle rounds, including GB. I'm guessing he goes in R4, give or take 8 picks. Would be surprised if he were there when the Walden comp pick comes up unless the suspension details are leaked and it's bad.

Guiness
04-18-2014, 11:54 AM
Kipper's dropped Bridgewater to the second round!
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/mock/?season=2014&version=4&source=Mel-Kiper-Mock-Draft

run pMc
04-18-2014, 12:32 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/mock/?season=2014&version=4&source=Mel-Kiper-Mock-Draft

Funny. Wasn't he supposed to be a Top 3 or Top 5 pick?
What if he falls to 21 and TT takes him? Compared to a lot of QBs he's not a big guy but he seemed to show leadership, a decent arm and mobility, and had good accuracy. M3 could probably do a lot with him but I think as with many QBs it would take a couple of years.

I honestly can't imagine Bridgewater falling out of R1. I'd be surprised if someone took McCarron or Carr over this guy.
I think Bortles is the 1st QB, Manziel is gone by mid-R1 and Bridgewater probably the same.

The rumor mill is grinding out misinformation at top speed right now, if you read every online story as if it were completely false the stories make more sense.

mraynrand
04-18-2014, 12:40 PM
The story being floated by JSO is that TT loves Bullough because he's instinctive and made the defensive calls at MSU.

he lines 'em up like the best of them! HAWK II - the sequel.

http://media.jrn.com/images/mjs-packers01-04ofx-wood-packers.jpg

Teamcheez1
04-18-2014, 03:03 PM

Anybody (with Insider) know who Kiper had the Packers picking in his new Mock Draft? I'm assuming whoever he has slotted will definitely not be the pick by TT.

Freak Out
04-18-2014, 05:58 PM
Pryor I believe.

pbmax
04-18-2014, 09:40 PM
http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2014/4/18/5624576/mel-kiper-2014-nfl-mock-draft-eagles-kelvin-benjamin

PICK TEAM PLAYER
1 Houston Texans Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina
2 St. Louis Rams Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn
3 Jacksonville Jaguars Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson
4 Cleveland Browns Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M
5 Oakland Raiders Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo
6 Atlanta Falcons Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan
7 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Mike Evans, WR, Texams A&M
8 Minnesota Vikings Blake Bortles, QB, UCF
9 Buffalo Bills Jake Matthews, OT, Texams A&M
10 Detroit Lions Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama
11 Tennessee Titans Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State
12 New York Giants Eric Ebron, TE, UNC
13 St. Louis Rams Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State
14 Chicago Bears Aarond Donald, DT, Pittsburgh
15 Pittsburgh Steelers Odell Beckham Jr., WR, LSU
16 Dallas Cowboys Zack Martin, OT, Notre Dame
17 Baltimore Ravens Calvin Pryor, S, Louisville
18 New York Jets Brandin Cooks, WR, Oregon St.
19 Miami Dolphins C.J. Mosley, LB, Alabama
20 Arizona Cardinals Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State
21 GREEN BAY PACKERS RYAN SHAZIER, OLB, Ohio State
22 Philadelphia Eagles Kelvin Benjamin, WR, FSU
23 Kansas City Chiefs Marqise Lee, WR, USC
24 Cincinnati Bengals Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State
25 San Diego Chargers Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA
26 Cleveland Browns Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech
27 New Orleans Saints Cody Latimer, WR, Indiana
28 Carolina Panthers Morgan Moses, OT, Virginia
29 New England Patriots Ra'Shede Hageman, DT, Minnesota
30 San Francisco 49ers Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt
31 Denver Broncos Jason Verrett, CB, TCU
32 Seattle Seahawks Stephon Tuitt, DE, Notre Dame

Guiness
04-18-2014, 10:55 PM
http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2014/4/18/5624576/mel-kiper-2014-nfl-mock-draft-eagles-kelvin-benjamin

How old is Rodgers? Ya, he's got a more than a few years left, but so did Favre when Rodgers was picked. I would not be upset at all if he was sitting there when the Packer's pick came up and they grabbed him.

HarveyWallbangers
04-18-2014, 11:39 PM
My boy, Brock Jensen. Been touting him for awhile to some buddies of mine from Minnesota. I think he'd be worth a late round flyer.

http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/9066/qb-prospect-jensen-could-fit-the-packers

red
04-19-2014, 08:06 AM
So the safety class is deep? Wasn't someone saying it was just Ha-Ha and also-rans until Prior declared to make it a two horse race? If that makes for a deep class they must be saying the QB class is the Mariana Trench.

that was me, when i started doing my research on the draft back in november, when it had become clear that we need to find a new safety, many of the experts were calling this one of the weakest and shallowest safety groups in recent memory

so i have no clue what's changed

heres a question and response that sum things up pretty well from "ask vic"

http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/ask-vic/article-1/Is-this-draft-class-as-good-as-advertised/518fb2c3-5ffc-4079-adf7-054235582610

Vic, now SI is running a story saying this is one of the deepest safety classes in years. Who do I believe?

I put my faith in Tony Pauline and he says it’s a weak safety class. The crazy thing about this draft class is that I hadn’t heard or read anybody praise it until Kevin Colbert exploded with his evaluation at the combine. I was stunned by what Colbert said, but he seemed to trigger an avalanche because since then everyone is saying this is an all-timer. Hey, I’m not a scout nor am I a draftnik, so take this with a large grain of salt: I thought the talent at the Senior Bowl was a definite step down from the previous year. I didn’t see a lot of first-round type of talent at the Senior Bowl. Is there any chance this draft class is being overrated? Is the long wait possibly causing that? Are we trying to entertain ourselves?

red
04-19-2014, 08:37 AM
heres my favorite mock draft site, this guy is one of the better ones in the business year after year. right before the draft he assigns a madden like rating to the prospects, he finally did that this week

http://www.draftace.com/

heres what he's got

free safeties

1. clinton dix- 93
2. pryor- 92
3. Terrence Brooks-82
4. ed reynolds- 75
5. Kenny Ladler- 66
6. Dion Bailey- 65
7. Marqueston Huff -61
8. Christian Bryant- 56
9. Avery Patterson- 50
10. Ty Zimmerman- 50
11. Tre Boston - 45
12. Lonnie Ballentine- 45

strong safety

1. Jimmie Ward- 87
2. Deone Bucannon- 83
3. Ahmad Dixon- 60
4. Isaiah Lewis- 59
5. Hakeem Smith- 58
6. Brock Vereen- 55
7. Sean Parker- 50
8. Vinnie Sunseri- 50
9. Craig Loston- 45
10. Alden Darby- 45
11. Brian Jackson- 45

HarveyWallbangers
04-19-2014, 08:54 AM
heres my favorite mock draft site, this guy is one of the better ones in the business year after year. right before the draft he assigns a madden like rating to the prospects, he finally did that this week

http://www.draftace.com/

heres what he's got

free safeties

1. clinton dix- 93
2. pryor- 92
3. Terrence Brooks-82
4. ed reynolds- 75
5. Kenny Ladler- 66
6. Dion Bailey- 65
7. Marqueston Huff -61
8. Christian Bryant- 56
9. Avery Patterson- 50
10. Ty Zimmerman- 50
11. Tre Boston - 45
12. Lonnie Ballentine- 45

strong safety

1. Jimmie Ward- 87
2. Deone Bucannon- 83
3. Ahmad Dixon- 60
4. Isaiah Lewis- 59
5. Hakeem Smith- 58
6. Brock Vereen- 55
7. Sean Parker- 50
8. Vinnie Sunseri- 50
9. Craig Loston- 45
10. Alden Darby- 45
11. Brian Jackson- 45

He has Tahj Boyd three spots ahead of Tom Savage at QB, so his board looks out of date. Most of the boards that stay up to date have Savage in going in the first 3 rounds and Boyd going in the mid to late rounds. He also has Jared Abbrederis as the 6th best WR--which I think is a big reach. Not sure I trust this board much.

red
04-19-2014, 09:43 AM
why? because his big board doesn't match all the others who are getting their info from the same sources?

i believe he just did his rantings for his big board in the last week, so its up to date based on his opinions

digitaldean
04-19-2014, 01:57 PM
Jensen would be a local story. He grew up and played in Waupaca, less than 50 miles from GB. He was a very good state champion HS qb before going to NDSU.

He played in a local conference vs. my kid's HS. Awesome talent compared to most of the local players. Didn't see him play in college, but he did take NDSU to 3 straight FCS titles, so that's saying a lot.

Decent size, 6-3, 225. Never know, if TT picks him and likes what he sees, he could edge out Tolzien as the 3rd string/developmental QB.

run pMc
04-19-2014, 04:14 PM
why? because his big board doesn't match all the others who are getting their info from the same sources?

i believe he just did his rantings for his big board in the last week, so its up to date based on his opinions

I'd be curious to see what his rankings of safeties from previous years look like -- it would be a decent gauge of whether he's accurate or not.
I thought last year was supposed to be a bad year for safety, and IIRC the year before wasn't touted as that great either. My sense is that it's a little better than last year, probably about how it was 2 years ago.

To tell you the truth, I'm not really sure what a good draft for safety does look like. Usually there are 2-3 that get taken in the top 50 picks, and that will be the case again this year IMO.

Pretty sure Tahj Boyd was the guy who a GB scout was quoted as calling more or less undraftable, but I think that was based on Senior Bowl practices and game where he struggled (7-16 31 yds 1 Int) and the fact that he's under 6'1". Had good WRs at Clemson (Watkins, Bryant, DeAndre Hopkins) who could beat most secondaries. I think Boyd is rated about a R5 or R6 pick and if you're looking for a backup with mobility and good character he's your guy. I don't think he's accurate enough to come in the middle of the 3Q of a game and rally a team to win in the pros. I'd rather spend a R5/6 pick on another player.

red
04-19-2014, 06:01 PM
I'd be curious to see what his rankings of safeties from previous years look like -- it would be a decent gauge of whether he's accurate or not.
I thought last year was supposed to be a bad year for safety, and IIRC the year before wasn't touted as that great either. My sense is that it's a little better than last year, probably about how it was 2 years ago.

To tell you the truth, I'm not really sure what a good draft for safety does look like. Usually there are 2-3 that get taken in the top 50 picks, and that will be the case again this year IMO.

Pretty sure Tahj Boyd was the guy who a GB scout was quoted as calling more or less undraftable, but I think that was based on Senior Bowl practices and game where he struggled (7-16 31 yds 1 Int) and the fact that he's under 6'1". Had good WRs at Clemson (Watkins, Bryant, DeAndre Hopkins) who could beat most secondaries. I think Boyd is rated about a R5 or R6 pick and if you're looking for a backup with mobility and good character he's your guy. I don't think he's accurate enough to come in the middle of the 3Q of a game and rally a team to win in the pros. I'd rather spend a R5/6 pick on another player.

http://www.draftace.com/player-rankings/2013-rankings-2/

elam- 87
cyprien- 86
Shamarko Thomas- 84
D.J. Swearinger- 87
Kenny Vaccaro- 84
Eric Reid- 84

so he has both clinton dix and pryor ranked higher then all the safeties last year and he has jimmy ward rated just as highly as anyone last year

the link for the 2012 ratings are broken or something, but the 2011 ratings work and he only had one guy with a rating above 80

HarveyWallbangers
04-19-2014, 07:34 PM

Mainly because he has Jared Abbrederis as the 6th best WR in the draft. If Jared Abbrederis is the 6th best WR in this draft, then the talent in this year's WR class has been vastly overrated.

HarveyWallbangers
04-19-2014, 07:38 PM
Jensen would be a local story. He grew up and played in Waupaca, less than 50 miles from GB. He was a very good state champion HS qb before going to NDSU.

He played in a local conference vs. my kid's HS. Awesome talent compared to most of the local players. Didn't see him play in college, but he did take NDSU to 3 straight FCS titles, so that's saying a lot.

Decent size, 6-3, 225. Never know, if TT picks him and likes what he sees, he could edge out Tolzien as the 3rd string/developmental QB.

Jensen is a pretty good athlete too. His measurables (4.70 40, 7.06 3 cone, 4.35 shuttle, 34" vertical) are almost identical Derek Carr. He ran for 35 TDs in his career.

RashanGary
04-19-2014, 09:56 PM
The player I want most, in our area of the draft, is Louis Nix III. The reason I like nix has a few parts.

1. He's an exceptional football player. Similar body type to BJ Raji, but a much more active, natural fighter on the inside. He's always fighting, always winning his battles. With the loss of Pickett and the disappointment of Raji, this guy looks like a 10 year fixture at NG. He's stout, active and impactful.

2. It's incredibly rare to find guys his size that can really move. There aren't very many high end NGs in the NFL. I think he's one of them.

3. He seems like an awesome guy and a hard worker. Good teammate, good guy.

At the end of the day, I think the first round of the draft, you want an impact player who plays for a long time. Of all the guys I see in our area of the draft, Nix is the one I feel is the best. Of course, I have very little knowledge or information about these guys compared to TT, so I'll be excited about whoever we pick.

pbmax
04-20-2014, 12:48 AM
The player I want most, in our area of the draft, is Louis Nix III. The reason I like nix has a few parts.

1. He's an exceptional football player. Similar body type to BJ Raji, but a much more active, natural fighter on the inside. He's always fighting, always winning his battles. With the loss of Pickett and the disappointment of Raji, this guy looks like a 10 year fixture at NG. He's stout, active and impactful.

2. It's incredibly rare to find guys his size that can really move. There aren't very many high end NGs in the NFL. I think he's one of them.

At the end of the day, I think the first round of the draft, you want an impact player who plays for a long time. Of all the guys I see in our area of the draft, Nix is the one I feel is the best. Of course, I have very little knowledge or information about these guys compared to TT, so I'll be excited about whoever we pick.

Why would he be available at 21 if he is that good? What is missing from his resume? Or what is scaring Bretsky about the guy?

RashanGary
04-20-2014, 01:27 AM
Why would he be available at 21 if he is that good? What is missing from his resume? Or what is scaring Bretsky about the guy?

Most drafts I see have him going in our range. Raji had knock your socks off explosion numbers and some highlight reels where he just pushed guys straight back. This guy doesn't have those wow factors that will get him over drafted, but he does look like more of a baller on the game tapes. Injury is a factor, of course. He could drop. He reminds me of Pickett when he was at the top of his game. I'd be happy with a 22 year old Ryan Pickett with the 21st pick. I don't think he's a super star, just a rare big guy, really consistent and a good player. Kind of like when we picked Bulaga.

pbmax
04-20-2014, 09:26 AM
DRAFT DISH: SEARCHING FOR TRUTH (http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/72548778/nfl-draft-stock-rumors-tom-savage-stephon-tuitt-louis-nix-scouting)

by Russ Lande

1. Truly believes Savage is rising because coaches have become involved and love his physical makeup and skills. Scouts pegged him 3rd to 5th round because of accuracy problems. If true, could be entirely dependent on how good his OC and QB coach are. Accuracy is hard to fix.

2. Nix and Tuitt are both considered in the same camp as Clowney in terms of questionable work ethic. Nix had the better season despite the concern and isn't expected to fall out of the 1st, but Tuitt could be in for a fall. Neither plays as well as they profile.

red
04-20-2014, 09:35 AM
Most drafts I see have him going in our range. Raji had knock your socks off explosion numbers and some highlight reels where he just pushed guys straight back. This guy doesn't have those wow factors that will get him over drafted, but he does look like more of a baller on the game tapes. Injury is a factor, of course. He could drop. He reminds me of Pickett when he was at the top of his game. I'd be happy with a 22 year old Ryan Pickett with the 21st pick. I don't think he's a super star, just a rare big guy, really consistent and a good player. Kind of like when we picked Bulaga.

idon't see anything special when i watch nix game tape. he does his job, he takes on double teams and doesn't give up ground, but thats about all he does. he makes no plays, he gets little penetration, he doesn't move piles, he doesn't get off blocks. he just stands there in the middle of the LOS, taking on his 2 guys

he's just there. nothing at all jumps out at me and makes me think "wow, he's special". like when you watch the game tape of jimmy ward, you go "WOW, he's everywhere, he is the team". you don't get that with nix

don't know if thats what you want out of a first rounder

RashanGary
04-20-2014, 10:18 AM
Red, it's completely different positions. Nix's job is to take on double teams and hold his ground. I also like Jimmie Ward. I don't like haha. He's slow and doesn't flash. I do like Pryor, but Ward looks like more of a pure FS and I think I'd rather see us with a legit center fielder.

HarveyWallbangers
04-20-2014, 10:49 AM
I'm with Harrell on the safeties. I'd rather have Ward than the other two. HaHa doesn't have the athletic ability that I want in a first round safety. Pryor reminds me of Brandon Merriweather. I see Ryan Pickett in Nix also. It wouldn't be a terrible pick late in the first round (Pickett went late 1st round also). #21 might be a tad high for Nix.

Bretsky
04-20-2014, 10:52 AM

I don't want Nix at 21. I'd take either safety, the TE, and Shazier over him. IF T traded down to the 30 area I'd be ok with it guess but not too excited.

red
04-20-2014, 10:55 AM
Red, it's completely different positions. Nix's job is to take on double teams and hold his ground. I also like Jimmie Ward. I don't like haha. He's slow and doesn't flash. I do like Pryor, but Ward looks like more of a pure FS and I think I'd rather see us with a legit center fielder.

the more i watch of ward, the more i think of a more physical woodson

his smaller size (only 192) and the fact that he might have some maturity issues concern me a bit, but based on pure talent, i agree he might be the best of the safeties

Bretsky
04-20-2014, 10:56 AM
I'm with Harrell on the safeties. I'd rather have Ward than the other two. HaHa doesn't have the athletic ability that I want in a first round safety. Pryor reminds me of Brandon Merriweather. I see Ryan Pickett in Nix also. It wouldn't be a terrible pick late in the first round (Pickett went late 1st round also). #21 might be a tad high for Nix.

Highly doubtful Ward lasts til our round 2 pick. Do you want him in 1 ? That might be too high but by the time our round 2 pick gets there a lot of the safeties are going to be gone

I'd take either safety over Ward w/o thinking about it though. Haha will be long gone by 15 IMO and I have a bad feeling Prior is headed to the Bears. I think it's unlikely he's there at 21. I'd be fine with Ward at 21 as well. I'd take him over Nix

red
04-20-2014, 11:00 AM
i think i would be fine with ward at 21

trading back 5 spots or so and grabbing ward would be nice, but trading down will be tough, and i'm starting to see more mocks with ward flying up boards into the mid to late 20's

Bretsky
04-20-2014, 11:06 AM
Lately the mocks fwiw have Ward rising and Nix falling.

Think about Free Agency.....SO many teams need a safety. they are going to get picked sooner than we think IMO

I'd like to see a safety in round one or two and then I'd like to see Ed Reynolds picked up later in the draft as well. Bringing in some competition sends the msg that the level of play last year was unacceptable

RashanGary
04-20-2014, 11:46 AM
I just watched a full game of Ryan Shazier (2013, Indiana.) Whoa, so friggin fast and explosive!!!

He's interesting.

pittstang5
04-20-2014, 11:53 AM
On the topic of safeties, what are some thoughts about Terrence Brooks. Seems everyone is high on the top three, Dix, Pryor and Ward. I think Dix is a pipe dream if TT stands pat at 21, Pryor, although a good player, doesn't fit what we need and Ward, I just don't know much about. We need that fast safety that can cover alot of ground.

Looks like Brooks is slated to go somewhere in the 2-3 round area. Just going off what I've read, he seems like he'd be a good fit for what the Packers need. He maybe a little unpolished, but so was Nick Collins.

pbmax
04-20-2014, 12:08 PM
Ward would be a target to trade back for, common for Ted.

Uncommon for Ted, the fact that we actually identify his target.

RashanGary
04-20-2014, 12:16 PM
Brandin Cooks, WR, would be a fun pick too. 4.33 40 yard dash, 1,700 yards in the PAC 12 in one season!!! His tape looks good. It would be fun to see a guy like that in Green Bay.

red
04-20-2014, 12:38 PM
On the topic of safeties, what are some thoughts about Terrence Brooks. Seems everyone is high on the top three, Dix, Pryor and Ward. I think Dix is a pipe dream if TT stands pat at 21, Pryor, although a good player, doesn't fit what we need and Ward, I just don't know much about. We need that fast safety that can cover alot of ground.

Looks like Brooks is slated to go somewhere in the 2-3 round area. Just going off what I've read, he seems like he'd be a good fit for what the Packers need. He maybe a little unpolished, but so was Nick Collins.

like bretsky said a bit ago, there could be a big run on safeties after what we saw in free agency. teams know that safety play is important

that said, i expect brooks to be gone by our second round pick. probably high to mid second round pick from what i've been seeing

after brooks who i put at the #4 safety, you have bucannon, who might be there at our second pick

then you have ed reynolds who is probably a third rounder. then the bottom completely falls out of the safety pool and IMHO there isn't much worth looking at

so theres 5 maybe 6 guys in the whole draft that are worth drafting IMO, all will probably be gone by our 3rd round pick

vince
04-20-2014, 04:10 PM
Ward would be a target to trade back for, common for Ted.

Uncommon for Ted, the fact that we actually identify his target.
I'd be all for that. Then go CB, WR and TE with the next picks... Teddy's about building depth and developing talent through the draft (Captain Obvious).

I don't know much about the ceiling for a guy like James Nixon at CB and haven't boned up on this year's draft prospects but a physical perimeter defender that can play the ball and run with guys like CJ and the beasts outside for the Bears would be huge, especially considering Tramon Williams is undersized, aging, an injury risk, overpaid, and possibly on his last run with team both physically and contractually. I think we've seen enough of House to be concerned about his ability to hold up outside as a full-time player.

The contract situation with Nelson and Cobb are also a cause for concern depth-wise and my bet is there's a tight end that can be picked up in the third round and inserted right into the top of the rotation at that position.

vince
04-20-2014, 04:11 PM
Brandin Cooks, WR, would be a fun pick too. 4.33 40 yard dash, 1,700 yards in the PAC 12 in one season!!! His tape looks good. It would be fun to see a guy like that in Green Bay.
Boom. a younger, cheaper, Desean Jackson without the baggage. What's his projected draft slot? Would he last deep into the 2nd?

RashanGary
04-20-2014, 04:21 PM
I think he's right around our area of the first round. He plays similar to Tavon Austin and Desean Jackson, but he's 190lbs, not 170. He put up outrageous production numbers and spectacular athletic numbers. He has some special qualities that make him talked about in the mid-late first round.

RashanGary
04-20-2014, 04:33 PM
Some options in our are I like:

Darqueze Dennard, CB
Ryan Shazier, LB
Louis Nix III, NG
Calvin Pryor, SS/FS
Brandin Cooks, WR

These are the guys I like that could last till pick 21.

run pMc
04-20-2014, 04:58 PM
http://www.draftace.com/player-rankings/2013-rankings-2/

elam- 87
cyprien- 86
Shamarko Thomas- 84
D.J. Swearinger- 87
Kenny Vaccaro- 84
Eric Reid- 84

so he has both clinton dix and pryor ranked higher then all the safeties last year and he has jimmy ward rated just as highly as anyone last year

the link for the 2012 ratings are broken or something, but the 2011 ratings work and he only had one guy with a rating above 80

2011:
Rk Player School Rating
1. Rahim Moore UCLA 87
2. Quinton Carter Oklahoma 78
3. DeAndre McDaniel Clemson 76
4. Tyler Sash Iowa 75
5. Deunta Williams North Carolina 72
6. Jaiquawn Jarrett Temple 69
7. Robert Sands West Virginia 68
8. Joe Lefeged Rutgers 67
9. Eugene Clifford Tennessee State 64
10. Chris Conte California 63

2012:
1. Mark Barron Alabama 93 –
2. Harrison Smith Notre Dame 85 –
3. Antonio Allen South Carolina 66 –
4. Trenton Robinson Michigan State 65 –
5. George Iloka Boise State 65 –
6. Brandon Taylor LSU 63 –
7. Janzen Jackson McNeese State 62 –
8. Christian Thompson South Carolina St 61 –
9. Markelle Martin Oklahoma State 60 –
10. Aaron Henry Wisconsin 57 –

Yuck. Yeah, maybe this class is better than the last few for safeties

Carolina_Packer
04-20-2014, 05:32 PM
I enjoy the articles about sleeper prospects. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1943658-the-biggest-sleeper-at-every-position-in-the-2014-nfl-draft

Bretsky
04-20-2014, 05:50 PM
I just watched a full game of Ryan Shazier (2013, Indiana.) Whoa, so friggin fast and explosive!!!

He's interesting.

The more you watch him the more you'll like him....and I detest Ohio State.

If we are going to jump up to the elite NFC tier..we need to contain guys like Vernon Davis and Kaperprick. He gives us speed and tenacity. He can blitz; he can cover; he can tackle. He's everything Nick Perry isn't...a perfect fit for our defense who probably ends up inside but who could be used as a OLB as well. He's a guy who has a shot against the Vernon Davis and Jimmy Grahams' of the world without having to redo your defensive plan to have a shot.

If the Eagles don't take him I think he's likely to fall into our laps at 21 and I'm on board with him as our pick.

I also like your list...except Nix. Of your list I don't think the MSU Cornerback makes it to us. I'm doubting Prior does either

vince
04-20-2014, 06:42 PM
I think he's right around our area of the first round. He plays similar to Tavon Austin and Desean Jackson, but he's 190lbs, not 170. He put up outrageous production numbers and spectacular athletic numbers. He has some special qualities that make him talked about in the mid-late first round.
Gotcha. It'd be exciting to add a guy like that to Rodgers' arsenal. Checked out his highlights and he looks like a crisp route runner for a deep threat, not the least bit afraid of contact and goes aggressive after the ball for a smallish receiver. Faster and probably more physical than Greg Jennings but kind of reminiscent of him too to me.

vince
04-20-2014, 06:50 PM
Can't say anything about Nix's ability but if he's not a potential stud I'd prefer to bring back Jolly or Pickett for this year and see how guys like Boyd, Worthy and Guion work in situational roles backing up along the D-Line then see if there's anything to worry about next offseason - especially if a big guy's being flagged for questionable work-ethic. Maybe it's undeserved but those guys can go downhill quickly if they even show up at all.

texaspackerbacker
04-20-2014, 08:14 PM
I haven't heard Shazier mentioned as a ILB except in here. If he can play there, I'm all for getting him - filling our second biggest need with an excellent athletic player. I'm still not convinced Clinton-Dix will be gone by #21, but that seems to be the consensus. From what I've heard, Brooks, as well as Ward, seem to be decent alternatives if Dix is gone. We don't need a big hitter nearly so much as we need a ball hawk and coverage guy. Farther down, I like Loston and maybe Ahmad Dixon - we definitely need two solutions to the Safety position. The one guy talked about in the first round I absolutely do NOT want is Nix - the whole position/body type I want no part of early in the draft. I also oppose getting a WR or TE early, but mainly because of the needs at Safety and ILB. Some of those WRs and TEs are tempting as potential targets for Rodgers, but basically, we can stand pat and be just fine with receivers.

Carolina_Packer
04-20-2014, 10:26 PM
I haven't heard Shazier mentioned as a ILB except in here. If he can play there, I'm all for getting him - filling our second biggest need with an excellent athletic player. I'm still not convinced Clinton-Dix will be gone by #21, but that seems to be the consensus. From what I've heard, Brooks, as well as Ward, seem to be decent alternatives if Dix is gone. We don't need a big hitter nearly so much as we need a ball hawk and coverage guy. Farther down, I like Loston and maybe Ahmad Dixon - we definitely need two solutions to the Safety position. The one guy talked about in the first round I absolutely do NOT want is Nix - the whole position/body type I want no part of early in the draft. I also oppose getting a WR or TE early, but mainly because of the needs at Safety and ILB. Some of those WRs and TEs are tempting as potential targets for Rodgers, but basically, we can stand pat and be just fine with receivers.

I don't discount anyone at this point. Whatever their draft board says is ultimate value at 21 is what they should take. Someohe brought up drafting someone like Manziel if he slipped to 21. I would think part of value would be probability of making an impact, and obviously Aaron being the QB would affect Maziel's value to the Packers. What if Mike Evans drops to 21, or Ebron? I think if it's too good to pass up, you either decide to 1) take the player that falls in your lap (ala Aaron Rodgers in 2005) 2) trade back (a little) and hopefully still get one of the guys being targeted, while picking up a pick to boot, or 3) you stand pat and draft the BAP at 21, whoever that might be. If it's Nix, so be it. If the Packers think he's Vince Wilfork, who here would complain? We can get a safety later if a more special or rare talent can be had at 21. If that happens to be a safety, let's get him. Drafting purely for need is risky.

smuggler
04-20-2014, 11:00 PM
Shazier would play on the outside on 4-3 teams, but the inside in Green Bay. That said, he's athletically gifted, and I'm sure we'd try to move him around as a bandit type player to create opportunities for him.

RashanGary
04-20-2014, 11:08 PM
Shazier would play on the outside on 4-3 teams, but the inside in Green Bay. That said, he's athletically gifted, and I'm sure we'd try to move him around as a bandit type player to create opportunities for him.

Shazier is fast and fluid. He might be the most physicslly gifted player in this draft under 240 lbs. He has the skillset to play any position from 3-4 olb to SS. Similar athlete to Patrick Willis. The 49ers can play a lot of base defense because Willis is like another DB. I think this guy couldmbring that kind of flexibility.

pbmax
04-20-2014, 11:22 PM
CBS NFL Draft Scout has five current mocks up (4 of 5 done in last week).

All have the Rams taking a safety. Kirwan has the Vikings grabbing Dix. One guy has the Bears grabbing the other top safety (Prior in that case). One has Ravens picking the second safety (Dix). One has Cardinals picking him (Pryor). Will Brinson has the most out of date one (4/10) and he has the Paclers taking Ward at 21 and Prior falling out of Round 1.

Guiness
04-21-2014, 05:06 AM
Going to be watching where Roosevelt Nix ends up and how he does. He will be switching from DT to ILB, having played DT at 5'11" 248lb.

from NFL.COM

Roosevelt Nix, DL (5-foot-11 1/4, 248) — Nix ran the 40 in 4.79 seconds on both attempts. He had a 28-inch vertical and 9-foot-2 broad jump. He did the short shuttle in 4.39 seconds and the three-cone drill in a remarkable time of 6.90 seconds. He performed 22 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press. Nix is a really good football player — he is the first player in Kent State history and fifth player in MAC history to earn first-team all-conference honors in four seasons — and a team will have to find a position for him. Some people think Nix might be a fullback, others think he might be a linebacker. At 248 pounds, he won’t be a defensive lineman in the NFL, but he has tremendous ability and a team will have to find a position for him to play. He is likely a priority free-agent pickup following the draft.

Guiness
04-21-2014, 05:22 AM
CBS NFL Draft Scout has five current mocks up (4 of 5 done in last week).

All have the Rams taking a safety. Kirwan has the Vikings grabbing Dix. One guy has the Bears grabbing the other top safety (Prior in that case). One has Ravens picking the second safety (Dix). One has Cardinals picking him (Pryor). Will Brinson has the most out of date one (4/10) and he has the Paclers taking Ward at 21 and Prior falling out of Round 1.

4 out of 5 of those drafts have Mosley available when the Pack is on the board...

Fritz
04-21-2014, 06:09 AM
I'd love to see some speed on this team, whether at ILB or safety or wide receiver or tight end.

vince
04-21-2014, 06:20 AM
Ebron
Mosely
Shazier
Pryor
Cooks
Dennard
Beckham Jr.
trade back

RashanGary
04-21-2014, 07:55 AM
I'd love to see some speed on this team, whether at ILB or safety or wide receiver or tight end.

Me too. Especially at safety and ilb. We have a good team. On defense we need a guy who can fly around and clean up.

RashanGary
04-21-2014, 07:58 AM
We have a whole team of good players, guys who are kind of natural football guys. We need one more star and I think we're over the top.

Patler
04-21-2014, 08:25 AM
Me too. Especially at safety and ilb. We have a good team. On defense we need a guy who can fly around and clean up.

We have a whole team of good players, guys who are kind of natural football guys. We need one more star and I think we're over the top.

I try to be practical in my feelings about where the team really is, or where it could be; but I am haunted by feelings of how 2011, 2012 and 2013 could have been if Collins had just gotten his head a little lower, or if Stewart had jumped an inch higher. Losing him in the back of the defense was worse than playing without Matthews has been, because losing him affected the defense from sideline to sideline and from the line of scrimmage to the goal line. They had a special player roaming in that territory, and the drop-off from him to those who replaced him has been huge.

..and he likely would still be at the top of his game in 2014-2015.

RashanGary
04-21-2014, 10:15 AM
I agree, Patler, he was so good at what he did (cover the whole back end by himself and the surest tackler I've seen in Green Bay in the last 10 years.) And safety play has become paramount in the new NFL. Just like the QB affects the whole passing game on offense, the free safety affects the whole passing game on defense because a great one can sort of be everywhere. In the last 10-15 years, just like nearly every Sb winning team has had a QB playing at the top of the league, so has every Sb winning team had a safety (usually free safety) doing the same.

I'm worried about the safety position, and we all want to desperately find the answer, but I don't know if this draft has it for us. I'm not in in love with any of them. Haha is a poor athlete who knows how to play, prior not much better. Solid players, probably, but they don't look like the difference makers Sb winning teams field at the position. I'll hope for the best though. We have such a good team, you just never know.

pittstang5
04-21-2014, 10:52 AM
......we all want to desperately find the answer, but I don't know if this draft has it for us......

I've been started to get that feeling. A couple months ago, I saw some tape and read about Pryor and thought - Wow, he's the answer. Then, you read a little more and then comes the combine. Now, I'm not sure he's what this defense needs.

call_me_ishmael
04-21-2014, 02:10 PM
I agree, Patler, he was so good at what he did (cover the whole back end by himself and the surest tackler I've seen in Green Bay in the last 10 years.) And safety play has become paramount in the new NFL. Just like the QB affects the whole passing game on offense, the free safety affects the whole passing game on defense because a great one can sort of be everywhere. In the last 10-15 years, just like nearly every Sb winning team has had a QB playing at the top of the league, so has every Sb winning team had a safety (usually free safety) doing the same.

I'm worried about the safety position, and we all want to desperately find the answer, but I don't know if this draft has it for us. I'm not in in love with any of them. Haha is a poor athlete who knows how to play, prior not much better. Solid players, probably, but they don't look like the difference makers Sb winning teams field at the position. I'll hope for the best though. We have such a good team, you just never know.

HaHa is known as a FREAK athlete. His 40 time was a little slow. He was a 5 star recruit out of high school. He was in the top 5 total players I believe... this is the same class as freaks like Jadeveon Clowney.

40 time isn't everything. I was dissapointed in his time, personally, but to say he's not an elite athlete is crazy. Safeties don't go in round 1 unless they have special skills.

Zool
04-21-2014, 02:39 PM
Collins combine results:
40 Yard Dash: 4.36 seconds
20 Yard Dash: 2.62 seconds
10 Yard Dash: 1.61 seconds
Bench Press: 11 reps (225 lb)
Wonderlic: (N/A) (0-50)
Vertical Leap: 40.0 inches
Broad Jump: 118 inches
20 Yd Shuttle: 4.16 seconds
Three Cone: 6.94 seconds
60 Yd Shuttle: (N/A) seconds

Clinton-Dix combine results
40 Yard Dash: *4.58 seconds
20 Yard Dash: (N/A) seconds
10 Yard Dash: (N/A) seconds
Vertical Leap: 33.0 inches
Broad Jump: 117 inches
Three Cone: 7.16 seconds

Clinton-Dix pro day numbers
Junior FS Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, who could be the first defensive back drafted in May, stood on his times from the NFL Combine, but did perform positional drills for scouts. He ran a 4.58 in Indianapolis with a 33-inch vertical jump, 4.16 short shuttle and 7.16 3-cone drill.

I miss Nick. Hope we get a guy with a brain and that top gear.

pbmax
04-22-2014, 09:59 AM
http://www.packersnews.com/article/20140422/PKR0101/140422016/Draft-analysis-Ranking-Ted-Thompson-s-safety-selections

Not for the faint of heart.

smuggler
04-22-2014, 10:02 AM
Safety is probably the single hardest position to evaluate, excepting possibly quarterback.

pbmax
04-22-2014, 10:03 AM
Safety is probably the single hardest position to evaluate, excepting possibly quarterback.

At this point Ted should just draft CBs (he can do that in his sleep) and hope for the best.

mraynrand
04-22-2014, 10:39 AM
http://www.packersnews.com/article/20140422/PKR0101/140422016/Draft-analysis-Ranking-Ted-Thompson-s-safety-selections

it's like Matt Millen and receivers

Smidgeon
04-22-2014, 10:44 AM

I know it's years past, but I still take issue with their characterization of Justin Harrell.

call_me_ishmael
04-22-2014, 01:44 PM
Collins combine results:
40 Yard Dash: 4.36 seconds
20 Yard Dash: 2.62 seconds
10 Yard Dash: 1.61 seconds
Vertical Leap: 40.0 inches
Broad Jump: 118 inches
Three Cone: 6.94 seconds

Clinton-Dix combine results
40 Yard Dash: *4.58 seconds
20 Yard Dash: (N/A) seconds
10 Yard Dash: (N/A) seconds
Vertical Leap: 33.0 inches
Broad Jump: 117 inches
Three Cone: 7.16 seconds

Clinton-Dix pro day numbers
Junior FS Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, who could be the first defensive back drafted in May, stood on his times from the NFL Combine, but did perform positional drills for scouts. He ran a 4.58 in Indianapolis with a 33-inch vertical jump, 4.16 short shuttle and 7.16 3-cone drill.

I miss Nick. Hope we get a guy with a brain and that top gear.

Nick is just a freak. Look at those numbers compared to a guy like Haha. Insane how much faster and quicker he is. He was shorter at 5'11", but so what? Dude was a ball of muscle and speed. HOF type guy I think.

Fritz
04-23-2014, 09:50 AM
I wonder how antsy Ted was waiting to see if Collins would be there with that second pick. He didn't trade up, I don't think.

Or am I just musing about this with the benefit of hindsight? Did Ted see him as another promising guy with no guarantees and enough downside to make it a crapshoot?

QBME
04-23-2014, 10:00 AM
I wonder how antsy Ted was waiting to see if Collins would be there with that second pick. He didn't trade up, I don't think.

Or am I just musing about this with the benefit of hindsight? Did Ted see him as another promising guy with no guarantees and enough downside to make it a crapshoot?

Collins was projected as a Round 3 or 4 pick. Lot's of folks thought he was a reach at the time at 51.

Joemailman
04-23-2014, 10:05 AM
Collins was projected as a Round 3 or 4 pick. Lot's of folks thought he was a reach at the time at 51.

There was some question about whether he would be a CB or Safety. I remember the draft position list I was using had him listed at a different position than what he was announced as when drafted. CB/S or S/CB, I don't remember which.

HarveyWallbangers
04-23-2014, 11:34 AM

Absolutely, most fans thought it was a reach because he was projected to go a round or two later by the "experts". I studied Collins and actually liked the pick. However, I didn't like the first round pick. Some Tedford QB out of Cal.
:)

pbmax
04-23-2014, 12:23 PM
The board thought Thompson was out of his mind. Same thing with Jennings and Jordy.

Brandon494
04-23-2014, 12:38 PM
The board thought Thompson was out of his mind. Same thing with Jennings and Jordy.

Shit not me, I loved the Jennings pick at the time while everyone else was freaking out we didn't take that Chad Jackson. :lol:

Fritz
04-23-2014, 06:28 PM
I was one of those guys, Brandon. Doh!

But I did trust TT when I found out that he'd traded out of the first round to take some white farm boy receiver from Kansas. I shuddered, thinking of whiny Billy Schroeder, but I kept the faith.

HarveyWallbangers
04-23-2014, 07:12 PM
My gut tells me that TT drafts Odell Beckham in the first round. He reminds me of Greg Jennings.

pbmax
04-23-2014, 07:18 PM
My gut tells me that TT drafts Odell Beckham in the first round. He reminds me of Greg Jennings.

More likely than my Manziel prediction from 3 weeks ago when he was the spawn of Satan and dropping.

wist43
04-23-2014, 08:10 PM
The knock on Collins was that he simply wasn't very bright, and he really wasn't. How he ended up though, erases all of the bonehead plays he made, or didn't make while in the midst of growing pains.

It took him a few seasons, but once he had enough reps and enough experience, his speed, athleticism, and physicality made him special.

It's convenient to forget the growing pains though... first few years, Collins was a mess out there.

smuggler
04-23-2014, 11:10 PM
I was happy with the Jennings pick, but a little dubious of the Jordy pick. It took him a while, but he proved more than worth that selection.

Brandon494
04-24-2014, 02:41 AM

If we draft a WR with our 1st pick I hope its Kelvin Benjamin.

run pMc
04-24-2014, 08:26 AM
The knock on Collins was that he simply wasn't very bright, and he really wasn't. How he ended up though, erases all of the bonehead plays he made, or didn't make while in the midst of growing pains.

It took him a few seasons, but once he had enough reps and enough experience, his speed, athleticism, and physicality made him special.

It's convenient to forget the growing pains though... first few years, Collins was a mess out there.

Yeah, I thought Collins took bad angles at times, especially early. By his 3rd season he was making more plays than mistakes and you could tell he was gonna turn out good.
This leads me to think that no matter who they draft at S -- and TT will draft at least one safety -- it's probably gonna take them some time to figure things out. All the "he's a bust" people need to chill and be patient. Rookies rarely start and succeed in the NFL.

I've been wondering if Beckham isn't TT's pick. I've heard comparisons to Jennings, he runs good routes and has good speed, and he would add juice to the return game while he pushes Miles White for the #4 spot and learns the offense. So the pick does make a lot of sense. Haven't seen Benjamin but I'm wary of guys who are one-season wonders, and he had 3 catches or less in half of his games last year. IMO the potential might be there but not the production.

pbmax
04-24-2014, 08:51 AM
The difference with Collins was that you could see the talent and he would more than occasionally execute on it. The fact that he broke up a significant number of passes and then dropped them, made it easier to wait for his hands to get better. It wasn't a pipe dream to see him apply his skills on the field like it was with McMillan or Jennings. Neither of them made enough plays that encouraged you to live with the mistakes.

Zool
04-24-2014, 09:05 AM
The difference with Collins was that you could see the talent and he would more than occasionally execute on it. The fact that he broke up a significant number of passes and then drop them, made it easier to wait for his hands to get better. It wasn't a pipe dream to see him apply his skills on the field like it was with McMillan or Jennings. Neither of them made enough plays that encouraged you to live with the mistakes.

Neither of them made any plays last year and it rubbed off on Burnett. Addition by subtraction I say.

HarveyWallbangers
04-24-2014, 01:32 PM
I've been researching Pryor, and I think I was completely wrong about him. Dude looks legit. My new safety rankings: Pryor, Ward, HaHa

cheesner
04-24-2014, 02:15 PM
Absolutely, most fans thought it was a reach because he was projected to go a round or two later by the "experts". I studied Collins and actually liked the pick. However, I didn't like the first round pick. Some Tedford QB out of Cal.
:)

A round or two? Kiper had him ranked in the 60's for CBs. My magazines - Lindy's and Street & Smith - one didn't list him and the other had him noted at the end as a possible FA pickup along with 20 other names.

To the best of my memory, at the time, most fans thought he would go undrafted.

smuggler
04-24-2014, 03:13 PM
If we draft a WR with our 1st pick I hope its Kelvin Benjamin.

No offense, but fuck this. The guy is athletic and big, but he can't judge a ball in the air nor catch. :/

Zool
04-24-2014, 03:38 PM
Benjamin vs Florida this year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4feKUNstdxI

Looks like a perennial all pro one minute and Turd Ferguson the next. He's enormous and can really run.

Zool
04-24-2014, 04:10 PM
What do we know about Shaw #81 other than he got rocked a couple years ago? 4.58 40 but a good KR/PR guy? Seems fluid in and out of cuts and has good hands per the few videos I can find.

red
04-24-2014, 05:23 PM
I've been researching Pryor, and I think I was completely wrong about him. Dude looks legit. My new safety rankings: Pryor, Ward, HaHa

with pryor, i'm worried about the 15 yard penalties. he's a hard hitter and leads with his shoulder/head a lot

if this was 5 years ago, i'd think he was amazing, in todays pussified NFL,he looks like a guy who could get flagged on every single play, unless he adjusts his game completely.

and if he did that, would he still look as good?

but i think its a moot point, i think pryor and clinton dix will both be gone in the top half of round 1. which leaves us with ward. either staying put at 21 to get him, or trade back 5 or 6 spots and pick up an extra 3rd, then pick ward.

ward i think, might be the best safety for capers system, like i've been saying for a couple weeks now, woodson Jr imo

Brandon494
04-24-2014, 05:58 PM
That was his worst game of his career as far as drops, shit even Jordy Nelson had three drops in the Super Bowl. What I do remember is him catching the game winning TD on 4th down for the BCS National Championship. Dude is a huge red zone target which is something we struggled with last season, I think Rodgers would turn him into a star. With that being said I still hope we go defense with our 1st pick but if we do pick a receiver I like Benjamin over another WR under 6 feet tall.

mraynrand
04-24-2014, 06:06 PM
That was his worst game of his career as far as drops, shit even Jordy Nelson had three drops in the Super Bowl. What I do remember is him catching the game winning TD on 4th down for the BCS National Championship. Dude is a huge red zone target which is something we struggled with last season, I think Rodgers would turn him into a star. With that being said I still hope we go defense with our 1st pick but if we do pick a receiver I like Benjamin over another WR under 6 feet tall.

I like the size/speed combo, but I don't like the route running. His hands are probably better than Finley's - and Scott Wells'

I think TT might draft offense first, but for certain first or second round.

Brandon494
04-24-2014, 06:12 PM
No offense, but fuck this. The guy is athletic and big, but he can't judge a ball in the air nor catch. :/

After watching that video Zool just posted I disagree, he seems like he can locate the ball just fine. I agree he drops some easy passes but I like how after every drop he came back with a big play. I could be wrong but with his combination of size, strength and speed, I'm willing to gamble he'll be a stud on the right team.

Joemailman
04-24-2014, 06:39 PM
I guess I like Jordan Matthews better. Not quite the physical specimen Benjamin is (6-3, 212 vs. 6-5, 235), but is a more polished receiver.

Teamcheez1
04-24-2014, 06:47 PM
Since TT has never drafted a receiver in the 1st round, maybe this is the year, but somehow I just don't see it.

Joemailman
04-24-2014, 06:53 PM
Since TT has never drafted a receiver in the 1st round, maybe this is the year, but somehow I just don't see it.

I don't either. Benjamin and Matthews are probably going to be there in the 2nd round. Did I mention that Jordan Matthews is Jerry Rice's cousin?

RashanGary
04-24-2014, 06:54 PM
I'm warming up to CJ Mosley after watching him play. It's a passing league and this guy brings special coverage skills to the table as well as being strong in the run game.

They say thisnis one of the deepest, most talented drafts ever, and I believe it. We're looking at some big-time players in our area of the draft. Im officially excited,to see what tt does in may.

red
04-24-2014, 07:10 PM
I'm warming up to CJ Mosley after watching him play. It's a passing league and this guy brings special coverage skills to the table as well as being strong in the run game.

They say thisnis one of the deepest, most talented drafts ever, and I believe it. We're looking at some big-time players in our area of the draft. Im officially excited,to see what tt does in may.

if mosely falls to us and we're forced to draft him, then we're gonna be forced to greatly improve our D with a hell of a player imo

as for benjamin, i remember watching him at the combine, it did not look like football came naturally to him. he just did not look natural doing anything. no way i would spend a first on him

HarveyWallbangers
04-24-2014, 08:25 PM
A round or two? Kiper had him ranked in the 60's for CBs. My magazines - Lindy's and Street & Smith - one didn't list him and the other had him noted at the end as a possible FA pickup along with 20 other names.

To the best of my memory, at the time, most fans thought he woud go undrafted.

The rankings that came out early barely had him listed, guys like Gosselin at the Dallas Morning News had him as a late riser going in the top 50. He and McGinn were the best. Too bad DMN took him of draft coverage.

HarveyWallbangers
04-24-2014, 08:31 PM
The history of 6'5"+ 230lbs+ who run 4.6 40s is not promising. There are a couple exceptions, but not many. Ideally, you want somebody who is 6'3" with freakish agility.

That being said, he's pretty impressive.

Brandon494
04-24-2014, 11:28 PM
The history of 6'5"+ 230lbs+ who run 4.6 40s is not promising. There are a couple exceptions, but not many. Ideally, you want somebody who is 6'3" with freakish agility.

That being said, he's pretty impressive.

You are right about that but his body control is unreal for someone his size. Also I hear some scouts are thinking about moving him to TE down the road. All I know is you need to score TDs to win football games and this kid would be an absolute monster inside the 20 for us with Rodgers throwing him the ball.

I also like Jordan Matthews game a lot and I would prefer if we picked a defensive player in the 1st and Matthews in the 2nd if he happen to fall to us. Benjamin is not falling outside of the 1st round though, I honestly think the Seahawks will draft him and he'll end up being a stud for them.

run pMc
04-25-2014, 08:42 AM
I stopped the video at the 3 minute mark, at which point he had 1 catch for negative yards and two drops, and when the QB scrambled or looked the other way he basically stopped his routes and gave up, which will get him screamed at by Edgar Bennett and Rodgers. The routes plus his run blocking (no surprise, it's college) can and will get fixed with coaching, but I didn't see anything to make me start a campaign for him to be the R1 pick. If that was his worst game of the season I guess that explains it. I actually was more impressed with FSU's QB and the RB. To be clear: I don't think Benjamin is terrible, I just wouldn't take him R1 with the other players likely still on the board. If TT thinks otherwise and takes him, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt since I'm no scout, and cheer for him since he'd be a Packer.

I think you can get a 6'5" TE to be your red zone monster if needed. There's likely to be one available in R2.

FWIW I'm in the group that would prefer Matthews over Benjamin. 6'3" is still pretty tall, plus his 40 and college career production are better than Benjamin's. I think TT likes WR's with a history of production and Matthews fits that mold more than Benjamin. Agree I'd rather not have another WR under 5'11" on the roster unless they are special.

Zool
04-25-2014, 08:54 AM

Agreed. He seems to set a bar for WRs and waits until one or two of them fall below the bar and swoops in.

mraynrand
04-25-2014, 10:17 AM
I don't either. Benjamin and Matthews are probably going to be there in the 2nd round. Did I mention that Jordan Matthews is Jerry Rice's cousin?

Did I mention that this is Clay Matthew's second cousin?

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/_kWKDovCkjg/maxresdefault.jpg

He played FS in high school

Smidgeon
04-25-2014, 11:30 AM
So I've been reading and forming opinions (I think it was KYPack who said that 95% of his "who to draft opinions" are formed based on comments from this board--I'm the same), and I still don't have anyone I'd love in the first round. I think I'd be okay with either of the two safeties in the first (but not sold on either), but it isn't like previous years where there was someone jumping off the board at me (although, to be fair, I was ambivalous the year Nick Perry was drafted too). It seems like there are too many split opinions on everyone.

run pMc
04-25-2014, 12:17 PM
It's Goodell's fault for moving the draft back a couple more weeks. Gives us all extra time to love/hate players, many of whom will wash out of the league in 3-4 years.

Maxie the Taxi
04-25-2014, 12:31 PM
It would not surprise me if TT drafted a WR and a TE in first two rounds! Benjamin at WR and Austin Seferian-Jenkins at TE would create a serious red zone nightmare. TT's got the rest of the draft to go defense. I like Brock Vereen at S, Keith McGill and Stanley Jean-Baptiste at CB/S, Telvin Smith at ILB/S and McCullers at DT. And why not Bryan Stork at C with the 7th round pick?

Brandon494
04-25-2014, 01:42 PM
I stopped the video at the 3 minute mark, at which point he had 1 catch for negative yards and two drops, and when the QB scrambled or looked the other way he basically stopped his routes and gave up, which will get him screamed at by Edgar Bennett and Rodgers.

So you didn't see any of his 3 TDs? :???:

Brandon494
04-25-2014, 01:47 PM
It would not surprise me if TT drafted a WR and a TE in first two rounds! Benjamin at WR and Austin Seferian-Jenkins at TE would create a serious red zone nightmare. TT's got the rest of the draft to go defense. I like Brock Vereen at S, Keith McGill and Stanley Jean-Baptiste at CB/S, Telvin Smith at ILB/S and McCullers at DT. And why not Bryan Stork at C with the 7th round pick?

That is a nice list of prospects there, I would be happy if we drafted any one of those guys.

smuggler
04-25-2014, 03:54 PM
Yes to McCullers. Lukewarm on the others unless we got Vereen in the 5th

red
04-25-2014, 05:04 PM
So I've been reading and forming opinions (I think it was KYPack who said that 95% of his "who to draft opinions" are formed based on comments from this board--I'm the same), and I still don't have anyone I'd love in the first round. I think I'd be okay with either of the two safeties in the first (but not sold on either), but it isn't like previous years where there was someone jumping off the board at me (although, to be fair, I was ambivalous the year Nick Perry was drafted too). It seems like there are too many split opinions on everyone.

i've found that the best way to do it is to get 5, 6 or 7 guys that you like and wouldn't mind TT taking in the first, and try not to rank them. you're chances are better that TT will take a guy you "like", and you'll be less disappointed in the end

benjamin is really just a TE that they call a WR, like jimmy graham. and in that case, ASJ is a better TE

the one thing benjamin has going for him is that he has freakish size for a WR and that makes him stand out. he's not a standout due to talent or production, just freakish size. his size, talent and production would put him as a pretty average TE imo. and in todays NFL where the line is blurred between WR and TE, is benjamin really all that impressive?

i say, fuck no

AS for benjamin being a redzone nightmare, i would say its no different that lining up another TE in the RZ

Joemailman
04-25-2014, 05:49 PM
Goodell considering making draft a 4 day event. https://twitter.com/JeffDarlington/status/459693373839138818 I suppose eventually it'll be Draft Week.

red
04-25-2014, 05:56 PM
Goodell considering making draft a 4 day event. https://twitter.com/JeffDarlington/status/459693373839138818 I suppose eventually it'll be Draft Week.

someone needs to hurry up and shoot that asshole

i should be getting ready to watch round 2 right now, NOT sitting here talking about prospects for the next 2 weeks with you jack-offs

no offense

Bretsky
04-25-2014, 06:52 PM
I'm passing on Benjamin after listening to NFL Network today; questionable work ethic. I'll take Matthews in a second. I don't think Matthews falls to round two.

I'd LOVE Nate Robinson or Jordan Matthews in round two...doubt either gets there so I'm happy to stock defense

pbmax
04-25-2014, 07:24 PM

He does that and I will personally take a PackerRats contingent to the Hall of Fame vote when his name inevitably comes up. We will pelt the voters with eggs anytime his name is uttered.