PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Free Agency Rumors and or Speculation

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Packers4Glory
03-11-2014, 09:35 PM
In concept that should be how it is. Just seems like it's been a long long time since the above has been the case. I can't think of recent examples.

I don't recall us ever being beat out for an offer because TT doesn't go after big free agents. We get the low hanging fruit. IIRC even the Woodson signing was late and it was up in the air between us and maybe TB? I don't recall us doing much in the early stages of the FA period.

What I fear is we will go into 2014 without a legit safety. I don't think we can afford a rookie back there blowing coverages and thinking too much. we need a guy who is experienced and somewhat of a difference maker. If we sit and wait we will pay the price again in the secondary.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-11-2014, 09:37 PM
we still may bring back the good players
Rather than find top free agents we'll probably absorb cap space this year with Cobb/Nelson deals and maybe another one or two

Seems to me with that cap supposed to go up a lot next year and the year after that Cobb and Nelson shouldn't be that big of a problem to sign. Rodgers and Clay are in the prime years, the strategy should probably change a little. A lot of decent deals being made for the first day of free agency. Ward and Verner are both solid players who signed decent contracts for example. Verner signed for a lot less than Sam and in all honest if I could have him at that contract and cut Tramon I would.

Bretsky
03-11-2014, 09:37 PM
Then it's his job to do whatever it takes to make them want to come to GB, why does TT constantly get a pass for not doing his job properly?

IMO...not our staff's strength to sell GB

Wolf and Holmgren massively recruited Reggie White to Green Bay; would anybody think our staff would be capable on doing that now..or try ? I know I know...different market with a cap versus no cap.

SMBASS
03-11-2014, 09:39 PM
we still may bring back the good players
Rather than find top free agents we'll probably absorb cap space this year with Cobb/Nelson deals and maybe another one or two

Only if you buy the Verner is as good as some of the talking heads projected. It's group think. I've been wondering why Shields was underrated by the talking heads, but I'm guessing he was more highly thought of among personnel people than talking heads.

Who knows Harvey? Verneer seems to be a good ascending young player similar to Shields so it's all a crap shoot. Lord knows personnel people have never been wrong about a player before so I don't consider them to be the end all, be all either. We all read comments from the infamous, "scouts" and "personnel" people around the league that end up being no more right or wrong than the talking heads or people on this board.

Bretsky
03-11-2014, 09:42 PM
I don't recall us ever being beat out for an offer because TT doesn't go after big free agents. We get the low hanging fruit. IIRC even the Woodson signing was late and it was up in the air between us and maybe TB? I don't recall us doing much in the early stages of the FA period.

What I fear is we will go into 2014 without a legit safety. I don't think we can afford a rookie back there blowing coverages and thinking too much. we need a guy who is experienced and somewhat of a difference maker. If we sit and wait we will pay the price again in the secondary.

I can't argue with any of your points and perhaps I read too much into this but here are my pondering thoughts
These deals get crazy day one; I think teams are spending time contacting agents, players and chatting money well before the period
Then visits are made and deals are closed.

So either we are not trying at all early on, or we are trying but can't get these guys to consider us at all....for some reason.

I know there have been a couple who visited and we lost...but since I can't even remember then there were not prominent.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-11-2014, 09:44 PM
Updating an earlier item, free agent DeMarcus Ware will visit the Broncos.
It will be Ware's first visit, and quite possibly his last. Players rarely get away from their first visit, while Denver can offer Ware a shot at a Super Bowl title after years of toiling in Dallas. As long as Ware has realistic monetary demands, a deal can likely be worked out.

Bretsky
03-11-2014, 09:46 PM
Seems to me with that cap supposed to go up a lot next year and the year after that Cobb and Nelson shouldn't be that big of a problem to sign. Rodgers and Clay are in the prime years, the strategy should probably change a little. A lot of decent deals being made for the first day of free agency. Ward and Verner are both solid players who signed decent contracts for example. Verner signed for a lot less than Sam and in all honest if I could have him at that contract and cut Tramon I would.

For what it's worth PackFan......I completely agree with you and IMO you are spot on.....while I throw out points to ponder...truth be told I wish we'd be more aggressive in free agency as well. There were playmakers to be had where we had serious weakensses. And poof.....nearly all of them are gone

Bretsky
03-11-2014, 09:47 PM
Updating an earlier item, free agent DeMarcus Ware will visit the Broncos.
It will be Ware's first visit, and quite possibly his last. Players rarely get away from their first visit, while Denver can offer Ware a shot at a Super Bowl title after years of toiling in Dallas. As long as Ware has realistic monetary demands, a deal can likely be worked out.

I had a feeling Denver would land Ware or Allen.
Denver and New Orleans...with the age of their QB's.....are taking measures to win now

red
03-11-2014, 09:49 PM
For what it's worth PackFan......I completely agree with you and IMO you are spot on.....while I throw out points to ponder...truth be told I wish we'd be more aggressive in free agency as well. There were playmakers to be had where we had serious weakensses. And poof.....nearly all of them are gone

and a lot of those guys didn't get insane crazy money like a lot of TT appologists say happens in free agency, which is a good reason not to partake in it

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-11-2014, 09:53 PM

Yeah ask me three ago years I would completely agree with staying out and re-signing your own. But I just don't get it now. So the plan is to sign Nelson and Cobb and maybe two or three of our other free agents back and try to fill all the other holes with the draft again. Idk but doesn't seem like a good idea this year with the NFC as stacked as it is and Rodgers and Matthews both getting older. We might wish we were more aggressive during this time if we look back in five years. Made sense say back in 2010 when we had a roster loaded with talent, our best players being really young, and the cap barely moving. But now?

red
03-11-2014, 09:59 PM
to make things more depressing

TJ ward. one of the better SS in the NFL

4 year 23 million, 14 million "guaranteed". 5.5 million average a year

Morgan Burnett. almost completely worthless piece of shit, who managed to look this year like he should not be an NFL starter

5 year, 26 million dollar deal 8.25 million dollar signing bonus, 1.5 million dollar roster bonus due in 4 days and another 2.4 million in workout bonuses over 4 years. 5.214 million per year average

ward- probowler- 5.5 per year
burnett-worthless POS- 5.214 per year

which is the better deal?

and it is a perfect example of overpaying and overvaluing our own players

packer4life
03-11-2014, 10:00 PM
Yeah ask me three ago years I would completely agree with staying out and re-signing your own. But I just don't get it now. So the plan is to sign Nelson and Cobb and maybe two or three of our other free agents back and try to fill all the other holes with the draft again. Idk but doesn't seem like a good idea this year with the NFC as stacked as it is and Rodgers and Matthews both getting older. We might wish we were more aggressive during this time if we look back in five years. Made sense say back in 2010 when we had a roster loaded with talent, our best players being really young, and the cap barely moving. But now?

At least I can sleep well tonight knowing that the big players in day 1 of FA still boast the likes of mike glennon and chad henne at the top of their 2014 QB depth chart.

red
03-11-2014, 10:03 PM
so, jarred allens price was too high for the broncos

but they are now the front runners for ware

just how the hell much is allen asking for?

pbmax
03-11-2014, 10:13 PM
to make things more depressing

TJ ward. one of the better SS in the NFL

4 year 23 million, 14 million "guaranteed". 5.5 million average a year

Morgan Burnett. almost completely worthless piece of shit, who managed to look this year like he should not be an NFL starter

5 year, 26 million dollar deal 8.25 million dollar signing bonus, 1.5 million dollar roster bonus due in 4 days and another 2.4 million in workout bonuses over 4 years. 5.214 million per year average

ward- probowler- 5.5 per year
burnett-worthless POS- 5.214 per year

which is the better deal?

and it is a perfect example of overpaying and overvaluing our own players

Ward is limited to SS (Burnett can do both) and signed for more money on average and more guaranteed money than Burnett (assuming no more than $5 mil of his "guarantee" is not actually guaranteed).

If as people suggest on the board, that Burnett is better suited to play near the LOS, then Ward was both more expensive and a duplicate skill set.

Could Burnett still stink for 3 years? Possibly, but it doesn't seem likely. Could Ward be overrated on the first day of FA? Absolutely.

No one wins who wins the Spring.

Packers4Glory
03-11-2014, 10:15 PM
I'm generally ok if we don't have many needs to try and address those in the draft. But currently our defense has boned ass for 2 straight years. We need answers on the line, inside LB, opposite Clay, and lastly but most importantly we need a safety. This is one of those times we can't do it all in the draft. Some of those answers could come from guys who were injured or in the draft but unless you really really believe Hyde can make the switch to safety I still dont think that's best for next yr. The window to win now is closing. Clay can't stay healthy. Rodgers showed his first crack in the armor last year. Fact is these guys are aging and our best chances at another title are diminishing each season.

The defense and specifically safety has been broken the past 2 years.

Free agency isn't always the answer but it has to be part of the answer at times.

Joemailman
03-11-2014, 10:16 PM
TT NEEDS TO SIGN STEVEN JACKSON NOW!!!!!!

Oh wait, that was last year.

SMBASS
03-11-2014, 10:18 PM
Ward is limited to SS (Burnett can do both) and signed for more money on average and more guaranteed money than Burnett (assuming no more than $5 mil of his "guarantee" is not actually guaranteed).

If as people suggest on the board, that Burnett is better suited to play near the LOS, then Ward was both more expensive and a duplicate skill set.

Could Burnett still stink for 3 years? Possibly, but it doesn't seem likely. Could Ward be overrated on the first day of FA? Absolutely.

Too bad we didn't sign Ward to play S.S. and then moved Burnett if F.S. if we think he's that interchangeable. Would have made for a pretty formidable defensive backfield with Shields re-signed, T. Will hopefully continuing to recover, Hyde, and Hayward. I honestly don't know if Burnett is all that well suited to play F.S. or not but it couldn't have been any worse than the dog shit we put on the field last year.

SMBASS
03-11-2014, 10:21 PM
I'm generally ok if we don't have many needs to try and address those in the draft. But currently our defense has boned ass for 2 straight years. We need answers on the line, inside LB, opposite Clay, and lastly but most importantly we need a safety. This is one of those times we can't do it all in the draft. Some of those answers could come from guys who were injured or in the draft but unless you really really believe Hyde can make the switch to safety I still dont think that's best for next yr. The window to win now is closing. Clay can't stay healthy. Rodgers showed his first crack in the armor last year. Fact is these guys are aging and our best chances at another title are diminishing each season.

The defense and specifically safety has been broken the past 2 years.

Free agency isn't always the answer but it has to be part of the answer at times.

Pretty much sums up my feelings about the state of things. I would however say that's it's boned ass for the past three years or basically ever since Collins got hurt. How many years is it ever going to take to find a consistent pass rush compliment to CMIII? Sometimes I just think you have to go with proven players instead of constantly rolling the dice and throwing snake eyes.

pbmax
03-11-2014, 10:25 PM
We have to have some other measure of Thompson versus every other GM than "overpaid" own guys, because the scale is tilted beyond useless.

Between them, Morgan Burentt, AJ Hawk and Brad Jones have less guaranteed money than CB Alterraun Verner. Yet the CB I have only heard of in the last 3 weeks is a "steal" and the three Packer defenders are "overpaid".

Those three helped a terrible Packer Defense stay in a playoff game that was completely winnable if the QB, who is apparently not overpaid, could solve a Cover 2 man without waiting for a sack.

Its the first day of FA, every team that signed a player is overpaying. Its a safety they need for Pete's sake. Not a damn Franchise QB. You could get a Pro Bowl safety in Round 3.

Relax.

pbmax
03-11-2014, 10:27 PM
Too bad we didn't sign Ward to play S.S. and then moved Burnett if F.S. if we think he's that interchangeable. Would have made for a pretty formidable defensive backfield with Shields re-signed, T. Will hopefully continuing to recover, Hyde, and Hayward. I honestly don't know if Burnett is all that well suited to play F.S. or not but it couldn't have been any worse than the dog shit we put on the field last year.

It might work. But counting this year, that's $34 million in guaranteed money/vested vet salary for a DB group with Ward. Not sure Ted has the budget to make that work.

pbmax
03-11-2014, 10:29 PM
byrd is a top 5 safety maybe top 3. and if its a six year deal, then its full of funny money. and theres no way that 28 million "gauranteed" is all signing bonus

The Saints are in a serious transition. I wonder how long that deal will actually keep him there.

run pMc
03-11-2014, 10:29 PM

Normally I'd agree with this, except SEA won last Spring and it didn't hurt them.

I agree re: Ward. It used to be you don't pay a lot for a safety or guard. Ward's a good player but I don't think you want to pair him with Burnett. He'd be an upgrade over M.D.Jennings.
TT will draft a safety and give Hyde, Richardson, et al., a shot.

Verner signed for a LOT less than Shields. WTH?

Saffold was a bad signing.
Houston is a decent player but dumping Peppers is curious. He really underperformed his contract this year, but he would have made nice bookends with Houston. Maybe he'll sign with MIN and stick it to the Bears.

I think the Griffin contract was pricey but he's a decent player...not sure how much more better he'll get, but he can give them 8 sacks and play standing up as an elephant/leo/whatever. Won't be better than Allen. Robison's a decent DE and with Kevin Williams and Guion gone they needed bodies. Linval Joseph is a good pickup, but don't know if he'll produce to the contract. MIN is making some ok moves; if they don't pan out they'll be stuck for a while.

How does Toby Gerhart get signed before MJD and Darren McFadden? James Starks might be happy, but there's not a lot of love for RBs looking for contract #2 or 3.

TT will send out feelers, wait out the big splashers, and sign a few lower-tier FAs. Less risk, preserves the cap for Nelson/Cobb.

pbmax
03-11-2014, 10:31 PM
PONDERING THOUGHT

Do players want to come to GB if they are from elsewhere ? If the answer is no....and TT would have to seriously overpay....maybe that's a reason we don't nibble into FA much

Andrew Brandt once said the biggest obstacle to getting players to visit the Packers first is that Thompson would not commit to certain contract parameters before the visit. If possible, the players' agent wants to go to the best offer first, create a reverse car dealership hotbox where the player is about to leave for his next favorite team (think Childress in Minneapolis not being allowed to leave for GB) and then drive a hard bargain to get the higher end of the agreed upon parameters.

red
03-11-2014, 10:32 PM
TT NEEDS TO SIGN STEVEN JACKSON NOW!!!!!!

Oh wait, that was last year.

yes and TT's system of only using draft and keeping us the youngest team in the nfl for about a decade now is just perfect

thats why all the other teams do it too

thats why we've one 8 or 9 super bowls in a row. because TT is the smartest man in the world and he's always right

and he walks on water. how dare we ever question the almighty?

Carolina_Packer
03-11-2014, 10:33 PM
I found this web site helpful in keeping track of all the free agent signings: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/transactions/free-agents/position

Joemailman
03-11-2014, 10:34 PM
yes and TT's system of only using draft and keeping us the youngest team in the nfl for about a decade now is just perfect

thats why all the other teams do it too

thats why we've one 8 or 9 super bowls in a row. because TT is the smartest man in the world and he's always right

and he walks on water. how dare we ever question the almighty?

Nobody's perfect. But I'll take TT's record over most of the teams that made a "big splash" in free agency today.

SMBASS
03-11-2014, 10:35 PM
We have to have some other measure of Thompson versus every other GM than "overpaid" own guys, because the scale is tilted beyond useless.

Between them, Morgan Burentt, AJ Hawk and Brad Jones have less guaranteed money than CB Alterraun Verner. Yet the CB I have only heard of in the last 3 weeks is a "steal" and the three Packer defenders are "overpaid".

Those three helped a terrible Packer Defense stay in a playoff game that was completely winnable if the QB, who is apparently not overpaid, could solve a Cover 2 man without waiting for a sack.

Its the first day of FA, every team that signed a player is overpaying. Its a safety they need for Pete's sake. Not a damn Franchise QB. You could get a Pro Bowl safety in Round 3.

Relax.

I'm not panicking nor am I going to lose any sleep over it PB. T.T. is going to do whatever he's going to do and the results on the field will speak for themselves. I just know that if I keep hitting myself in the head with a hammer and it hurts eventually I'll stop doing it. I don't think there's anything wrong with people having different opinions regarding how we go about trying to put a competent team on the field. I just look at the results of the D from the past three years and at least in my opinion it's not working and we need to start employing some different methodologies. Again, just my uninformed opinion.

Bossman641
03-11-2014, 10:35 PM
Wasn't expecting us to be players on day one but I'll be pissed if we don't sign a few dl. We need defensive depth.

red
03-11-2014, 10:36 PM
Houston is a decent player but dumping Peppers is curious. He really underperformed his contract this year, but he would have made nice bookends with Houston. Maybe he'll sign with MIN and stick it to the Bears.

peppers was going to count over 20 million against the cap this year. everyone and their mother knew he was going to be cut.. they knew he would be cut today the second he signed the contract a few years ago

it was a "funny money" deal

pbmax
03-11-2014, 10:37 PM
Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 5h
In 2006, the #Packers signed Marquand Manuel on March 13, Ryan Pickett on March 15, Charles Woodson on April 26. Free agency began March 3.

pbmax
03-11-2014, 10:38 PM
Talib signed.

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 10m
*Spits out tea, takes another sip, spits out again* MT @AdamSchefter Denver and CB Aqib Talib reach agreement on 6-yr, $57M deal ($26M gtd)

red
03-11-2014, 10:39 PM
Nobody's perfect. But I'll take TT's record over most of the teams that made a "big splash" in free agency today.

like the saints, 49ers, seahawks and broncos

teams we're trying to catch back up to?

red
03-11-2014, 10:40 PM
Talib signed.

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 10m
*Spits out tea, takes another sip, spits out again* MT @AdamSchefter Denver and CB Aqib Talib reach agreement on 6-yr, $57M deal ($26M gtd)

right there in that shields 9.75 million a year range. again 6 years = lots of funny money

denvers going all in to make another run

pbmax
03-11-2014, 10:40 PM
Brady Poppinga, who has played with Ware, says the Packers should consider signing him. Says playing OLB only will help and he was the second guy today to mention that.

https://twitter.com/BradyPoppinga

pbmax
03-11-2014, 10:41 PM
right there in that shields 9.75 million a year range. again 6 years = lots of funny money

denvers going all in to make another run

Much depends on the guaranteed money and the first two/three years depending on the signing bonus.

Joemailman
03-11-2014, 10:42 PM

Well, you mentioned 2 teams that haven't won a Super Bowl in years. And 2 who like the Packers, have won 1. What's your point?

pbmax
03-11-2014, 10:43 PM

Saints released half their offense, dropped one safety to pick up another. They seem more treading water.

49ers replaced one safety with another. Also got a possibly damaged OTackle.

red
03-11-2014, 10:44 PM
I found this web site helpful in keeping track of all the free agent signings: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/transactions/free-agents/position

yeah, that one of the better ones

they don't try and rape you for money like some of the other sites

SMBASS
03-11-2014, 10:45 PM
Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 5h
In 2006, the #Packers signed Marquand Manuel on March 13, Ryan Pickett on March 15, Charles Woodson on April 26. Free agency began March 3.

All my prayers will be answered if we can sign a safety who is half as good as the great and immortal Marquand Manual! Lol!!

pbmax
03-11-2014, 10:45 PM
Ben Volin ‏@BenVolin 5m
So the #Broncos added TJ Ward and Aqib Talib today and possibly DeMarcus Ware soon. The #Patriots brought in Phil Costa for a visit

red
03-11-2014, 10:47 PM
Well, you mentioned 2 teams that haven't won a Super Bowl in years. And 2 who like the Packers, have won 1. What's your point?

2 of those teams have neen kicking our ass in recent years and still working to get better, while we "stay the course"

red
03-11-2014, 10:49 PM
Saints released half their offense, dropped one safety to pick up another. They seem more treading water.

49ers replaced one safety with another. Also got a possibly damaged OTackle.

dropped one safety for a much better one, and released half their team, who just so happens didnt contribute much last year

pbmax
03-11-2014, 10:49 PM
Paul Imig ‏@Paulimig 20m
Safeties signed today:
Jairus Byrd (6 yrs/$56 mil/$28 mil gtd)
T.J. Ward (4 yrs/$23 mil/14)
Donte Whitner (4/28/?)
Mike Mitchell (5/25/?)

pbmax
03-11-2014, 10:51 PM
2 of those teams have neen kicking our ass in recent years and still working to get better, while we "stay the course"

49ers and who?

And the 49ers are getting reeled in.

red
03-11-2014, 10:52 PM
that seahawks team

SMBASS
03-11-2014, 10:54 PM
Paul Imig ‏@Paulimig 20m
Safeties signed today:
Jairus Byrd (6 yrs/$56 mil/$28 mil gtd)
T.J. Ward (4 yrs/$23 mil/14)
Donte Whitner (4/28/?)
Mike Mitchell (5/25/?)

Well, hopefully in T.T.'s opinion he thinks either Pryor or Clinton-Dix is all that and a slice of bread, we get a shot at drafting one of them, and everything works out for the better in that we get a young ascending safety for a lot cheaper price. (Or Hyde moves to safety and it works out.) Not much else we can do at this point.

pbmax
03-11-2014, 10:59 PM
that seahawks team

Not afraid of Seahawks. Not the same matchup problem as 49ers. Maybe more worrisome if Harvin is healthy.

Bretsky
03-11-2014, 10:59 PM
Much depends on the guaranteed money and the first two/three years depending on the signing bonus.

While Talib may be the better player....I might prefer Shields due to huge character risks with Talib

pbmax
03-11-2014, 11:00 PM
Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 11m
Everything I've heard is that Revis would love to be a Patriot, above any other option. Still ample time for that to happen

Bretsky
03-11-2014, 11:01 PM
Not afraid of Seahawks. Not the same matchup problem as 49ers. Maybe more tough if Harvin is healthy.

Not afraid of the Seahawks ? I think we would have been their bitch if we played them in the playoffs. IMO they were slightly better than San Fran and well better than the rest

Bretsky
03-11-2014, 11:02 PM
Everything I've heard is that Revis would love to be a Patriot, above any other option. Still ample time for that to happen

That would be interesting; but in the end Revis is only happy with whover pays him the most money in the NFL. That is Revis Island

Brandon494
03-11-2014, 11:04 PM
You guys know TT is a bargain hunter, hes not going to make moves on the first first day or even the first week for that matter. Also the 49ers and Seahawks are able to make more moves in FA then us because they don't have to pay their QBs top dollar yet.

red
03-11-2014, 11:05 PM
While Talib may be the better player....I might prefer Shields due to huge character risks with Talib

yeah, talib is a grade A pos that got run out of tampa. coach hoody kept him in check, but i don't know if anyone else can

red
03-11-2014, 11:06 PM
You guys know TT is a bargain hunter, hes not going to make moves on the first first day or even the first week for that matter. Also the 49ers and Seahawks are able to make more moves in FA then us because they don't have to pay their QBs top dollar yet.

thats the problem, there were a lot of really good bargains today for good talent imo

not just good bargains for average talent

pbmax
03-11-2014, 11:07 PM
Not afraid of the Seahawks ? I think we would have been their bitch if we played them in the playoffs. IMO they were slightly better than San Fran and well better than the rest

Their defense would still be a problem but Rodgers started to work it in the second half when M3 remembered the run game. One area of greater concern this year would have been leaky pass pro. Wasn't as solid as LT. Newhouse led 2012 Packer O line. That unit could be brutal, but only one guy gave up pass rushes at an alarming rate (Newhouse). Though Bulaga had a career worst game, so it might have been even steven on that front.

Seahawks O is very conventional and likes to go strength to strength with just a few counters, like the old Holmgren/Sherman/Bevell/McCarthy QB bootleg to TE and WR. Easier to matchup and prepare for. Packers D handled them on road fine in a horrible year for the D.

pbmax
03-11-2014, 11:08 PM
thats the problem, there were a lot of really good bargains today imo

Other than the CB whose average is less than Shields, who was cheap?

mraynrand
03-11-2014, 11:10 PM
Not afraid of Seahawks. Not the same matchup problem as 49ers. Maybe more worrisome if Harvin is healthy.

I agree. I like the matchup, especially with the muscle the Packers have been showing in the run game.

mraynrand
03-11-2014, 11:11 PM

Ya - Whitner looks pretty expensive - but I'm saying that before I know how much is guaranteed...

red
03-11-2014, 11:12 PM

tyson jackson, perfect fit for our 3-4, 5 million a year

almost all the safeties except byrd

arthur jones at 6 million per season, i was expecting 8-ish

SMBASS
03-11-2014, 11:14 PM

I agree with your assessment of T.T. Brandon but as of yesterday cap space was as follows:

Packers: $31,052,949
49ers: $9,978,737
Seahawks: $3,153,355

According to this even though those teams aren't paying big bucks for their Q.B.'s yet we have a hell of a lot more cap space to work with than they do.

pbmax
03-11-2014, 11:16 PM

almost all the safeties except byrd

I dunno. He'd be making more than Raji for a run stuffing, 2 down, 3-4 DE. Its perhaps not outlandish. Not sure about cheap.

Am curious why Packers didn't take a sniff. John Dorsey let him go as well.

Guiness
03-11-2014, 11:17 PM

That's laughable.

If Revis decides he wants to be there, he can make it happen, but at the expense of some of his take home. If he thinks he can haul in the same money as a starting QB AND be on a winning team, i.e. no big holes anywhere, he's delusional. Which he might be.

Joemailman
03-11-2014, 11:17 PM
All my prayers will be answered if we can sign a safety who is half as good as the great and immortal Marquand Manual! Lol!!

The Packers did not tender an offer to M.D. Jennings. That's a start.

pbmax
03-11-2014, 11:18 PM
The Packers did not tender an offer to M.D. Jennings. That's a start.

That's called delivering a message.

Message as follows: "We would rather start 10 players on D than pay you to play."

mraynrand
03-11-2014, 11:19 PM

I noted in another thread that he had received a Raji-like cut last year - from over ten million to 4 million. KC didn't like him enough for a 25 million contracts.

Tyson Jackson is a big defensive linemen out of LSU. The Chiefs drafted him very high in 2009 (third overall) so expectations were way too high to begin with. The truth is, he's a fine starter but certainly not a star. He can stop the run well, which is what he was asked to do as a defensive end in the Chiefs 3-4 defense, but he doesn't offer much of anything in the pass rush department. He rotated out in the Chiefs sub packages. I've wondered if he might be a better fit in a 4-3 defense but the Chiefs have been in a 3-4 since he's been in Kansas City.

That's a lot of beans for a run stopper. Have to see the contract; might be back loaded. Maybe TT just didn't like him.

Brandon494
03-11-2014, 11:20 PM
Where do the Broncos get all this money from?

Brandon494
03-11-2014, 11:21 PM
The Denver Broncos and cornerback Aqib Talib have reached agreement on a six-year, $57 million deal that includes $26 million guaranteed, according to sources.

red
03-11-2014, 11:22 PM
I dunno. He'd be making more than Raji for a run stuffing, 2 down, 3-4 DE. Its perhaps not outlandish. Not sure about cheap.

Am curious why Packers didn't take a sniff. John Dorsey let him go as well.

tyson tries hard, raji doesn't

plus jackson has 7sacks over the last 2 years, raji had none. hell i don't even know if the slug had a pressure this year

Bretsky
03-11-2014, 11:23 PM
I noted in another thread that he had received a Raji-like cut last year - from over ten million to 4 million. KC didn't like him enough for a 25 million contracts.

That's a lot of beans for a run stopper. Have to see the contract; might be back loaded. Maybe TT just didn't like him.

Listened to an interview with Tyson Jackson last week
KC was trying to keep him but he wanted to see what was out there
Dude had some pass rushing skills IMO
Take him over Raji

Joemailman
03-11-2014, 11:23 PM
Is Tyson Jackson a lot better than C.J. Wilson? Or Jolly if he can make it back?

red
03-11-2014, 11:24 PM
That's called delivering a message.

Message as follows: "We would rather start 10 players on D than pay you to play."

good message, and very accurate

also, KNOCK THE FUCKING BALL DOWN

red
03-11-2014, 11:25 PM
Is Tyson Jackson a lot better than C.J. Wilson? Or Jolly if he can make it back?

i would say no, maybe close to the same

but are we bringing those guys back, and at what price?

mraynrand
03-11-2014, 11:26 PM
good message, and very accurate

also, KNOCK THE FUCKING BALL DOWN

some wounds never heal.

Go for it on fourth and one, Sherman!

HarveyWallbangers
03-11-2014, 11:29 PM
Who knows Harvey? Verneer seems to be a good ascending young player similar to Shields so it's all a crap shoot. Lord knows personnel people have never been wrong about a player before so I don't consider them to be the end all, be all either. We all read comments from the infamous, "scouts" and "personnel" people around the league that end up being no more right or wrong than the talking heads or people on this board.

True, scouts make mistakes. However, I'm not sold on the idea that Verner is the consensus better player in the eyes of personnel people. I've seen enough quotes about "buyer beware" on him. Most of these FAs are talked about like the are studs and most turn out to be disappointments. We know what we have with Shields (which is good and hopefully gets better). Also, the deal that Shields signed is team friendly. I could careless about what the headline reads on the total years and salary. He got a backloaded deal with a relatively low amount of guaranteed money. He'll be on the team for two years. If he morphs into an elite player or the cap goes up a lot, then his salary won't be so bad. Otherwise, he can be cut with minimal damage.

Joemailman
03-11-2014, 11:30 PM
i would say no, maybe close to the same

but are we bringing those guys back, and at what price?

I don't think either one will cost 5 million per year.

mraynrand
03-11-2014, 11:31 PM

Jackson >> Wilson. But that's not saying much; Ignore Bobble - Wilson=JAG

mraynrand
03-11-2014, 11:32 PM
You could get Wilson for less than a roll of tape.

Joemailman
03-11-2014, 11:34 PM

Not any really huge contracts after Manning. And they're apparently letting Eric Decker go.

red
03-11-2014, 11:35 PM

jolly is damaged goods, and who knows if he can come back. he probably can, but he's also over 30 and i believe 1 slip up away for another banisment. s he should be cheaper. but similar players i think

cj wilson, who the hell knows what he is. we've hardly seen him play. and the staff didn't think enough of him last year to even make him a backup. i don't even know if the team would bring him back for the minimum. he got in someones dog house for something

mraynrand
03-11-2014, 11:54 PM
cj wilson, who the hell knows what he is. we've hardly seen him play. and the staff didn't think enough of him last year to even make him a backup. i don't even know if the team would bring him back for the minimum. he got in someones dog house for something

something = sucky play

SMBASS
03-12-2014, 12:05 AM
True, scouts make mistakes. However, I'm not sold on the idea that Verner is the consensus better player in the eyes of personnel people. I've seen enough quotes about "buyer beware" on him. Most of these FAs are talked about like the are studs and most turn out to be disappointments. We know what we have with Shields (which is good and hopefully gets better). Also, the deal that Shields signed is team friendly. I could careless about what the headline reads on the total years and salary. He got a backloaded deal with a relatively low amount of guaranteed money. He'll be on the team for two years. If he morphs into an elite player or the cap goes up a lot, then his salary won't be so bad. Otherwise, he can be cut with minimal damage.

I'm more than happy that we re-signed Shields Harvey. I felt all along that he was the most important free agent for us to retain and even if it cost a little more than what I thought it might I have no problem with that. It's a much better alternative then letting him walk. I agree that the deal is fairly team friendly and we know what we're getting with Sam. I really haven't seen Verner play very much so as far as whose better between he and Sam I don't have an informed opinion. I just kind of view them the same as they both seem to be young ascending players at a tough and important position. If Sam stays healthy I have no reason to doubt that his play will live up to the contract.

Bretsky
03-12-2014, 12:31 AM

COME ON MAN

Bretsky
03-12-2014, 12:33 AM

They won't cost the highest bidder in the NFL 5MIL per year...nor should they...for good reason

HarveyWallbangers
03-12-2014, 12:50 AM
I'm more than happy that we re-signed Shields Harvey. I felt all along that he was the most important free agent for us to retain and even if it cost a little more than what I thought it might I have no problem with that. It's a much better alternative then letting him walk. I agree that the deal is fairly team friendly and we know what we're getting with Sam. I really haven't seen Verner play very much so as far as whose better between he and Sam I don't have an informed opinion. I just kind of view them the same as they both seem to be young ascending players at a tough and important position. If Sam stays healthy I have no reason to doubt that his play will live up to the contract.

Yeah, I think we are in agreement. Now, I'm hoping TT goes bargain shopping a little earlier than usual.

Joemailman
03-12-2014, 01:44 AM
They won't cost the highest bidder in the NFL 5MIL per year...nor should they...for good reason

Neither should Jackson. He's been nothing special despite being a high pick.

Bretsky
03-12-2014, 06:37 AM
Neither should Jackson. He's been nothing special despite being a high pick.

He was considered a bust before last year and he developed and had a pretty good year last year. KC wanted to keep him. He's young with talent and upside
He signed in the range I figured he would sign for.

pbmax
03-12-2014, 08:03 AM

Saints loaned it to them.

run pMc
03-12-2014, 08:08 AM
Tyson Jackson is not worth $5M/yr IMO.

Talib's contract is pretty silly.
Wonder what John Schneider must be thinking about the S/CB contracts with Earl Thomas and Richard Sherman due next season.

M.D. Jennings not tendered, for which I agree, but that doesn't mean they won't bring him back. The tender was for $1.4M and they can get comparable performance for less than that. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't in GB's TC.

pbmax
03-12-2014, 08:17 AM
COME ON MAN

I think Joe is onto something though, B.

There has to be a reason each of the long, 300 LB DE possibilities were on the Packers radar (reportedly) and Jackson wasn't.

If Silverstein is not blowing smoke and the Packers are looking to get taller and leaner at DE to help with pass rush on base downs, then there has to be a reason they did not look at him. He signed for less than the other 2 first day names. Not sure how he compared to Bryant's contract.

pbmax
03-12-2014, 08:37 AM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 9h
Raiders reached agreement with former Jets OT Austin Howard on a five-year, $30 million deal, including $15M gtd, per source.

red
03-12-2014, 08:38 AM
I think Joe is onto something though, B.

There has to be a reason each of the long, 300 LB DE possibilities were on the Packers radar (reportedly) and Jackson wasn't.

If Silverstein is not blowing smoke and the Packers are looking to get taller and leaner at DE to help with pass rush on base downs, then there has to be a reason they did not look at him. He signed for less than the other 2 first day names. Not sure how he compared to Bryant's contract.

because TT is free agent adverse

red
03-12-2014, 08:40 AM
Tyson Jackson is not worth $5M/yr IMO.

yet he's way better then raji who most people on here would bring back for 4 million in a heartbeat

pbmax
03-12-2014, 08:40 AM
because TT is free agent adverse

But that doesn't stop rumors. More likely the reports were all off-base or erroneous in the first place.

Joemailman
03-12-2014, 08:50 AM
yet he's way better then raji who most people on here would bring back for 4 million in a heartbeat

Actually, I would argue that Raji at his best has been a more impactful player than Jackson. The question is whether you can get him to return to that level. Personally, I'd rather take a chance on Raji than take a chance on a guy who was considered pretty much a bust until his contract year. But it's not a slam dunk. I won't lose any sleep if Raji ends up elsewhere.

Tony Oday
03-12-2014, 08:57 AM
So since the G.I.ANTS signed Jennings is Starks destined to come back?

red
03-12-2014, 08:58 AM
Actually, I would argue that Raji at his best has been a more impactful player than Jackson.

you can't be serious? thats green and gold blinders right there

raji had 1 good year (2010) of of 5. he can't play in the 3-4, doesn't want to play in the 3-4, doesn't want to be in green bay, and hasn't done anything in 3 years

jackson is coming off his best year, is an ideal fit for the 3-4, and hasn't quit on a team

they aren't even close imo. if both players were 4 or 5 million a year and i had to pick one, the decision wouldn't be hard

red
03-12-2014, 09:01 AM
So since the G.I.ANTS signed Jennings is Starks destined to come back?

i would say theres a chance all our free agents come back, seems no one wants any of our guys. could it be we think to highly of them compared to what everyone else thinks of them?

a serious question

if our free agents are on the market, and no one wants them, we give then a deal near the minimum right? if a guy comes back with no offers, we don't throw 3 or 4 million a year at him like we did a couple years back (i forget who the player was)

that makes sense right?

3irty1
03-12-2014, 09:09 AM
you can't be serious? thats green and gold blinders right there

raji had 1 good year (2010) of of 5. he can't play in the 3-4, doesn't want to play in the 3-4, doesn't want to be in green bay, and hasn't done anything in 3 years

jackson is coming off his best year, is an ideal fit for the 3-4, and hasn't quit on a team

they aren't even close imo. if both players were 4 or 5 million a year and i had to pick one, the decision wouldn't be hard

Na that's some FA goggles. Raji has had the better body of work between the two for sure. I know how you feel about Raji but Jackson is a corn-studded turd.

Bossman641
03-12-2014, 09:16 AM
Actually, I would argue that Raji at his best has been a more impactful player than Jackson. The question is whether you can get him to return to that level. Personally, I'd rather take a chance on Raji than take a chance on a guy who was considered pretty much a bust until his contract year. But it's not a slam dunk. I won't lose any sleep if Raji ends up elsewhere.

I agree with this. I think Raji has bigger boom or bust potential. I'd rather have Raji for 1 year at 4M then Jackson for 5 yr/25M.

oldbutnotdeadyet
03-12-2014, 09:20 AM
Come on TT, let's do SOMETHING today...

Zool
03-12-2014, 09:20 AM
Na that's some FA goggles. Raji has had the better body of work between the two for sure. I know how you feel about Raji but Jackson is a corn-studded turd.

Well he just got a huge check. He can update from corn to diamonds.

red
03-12-2014, 09:22 AM
you guys are nuts to think a do nothing raji is better then anyone at this point

he was like our 4th or 5th best lineman that last 2 years

run pMc
03-12-2014, 09:23 AM
if our free agents are on the market, and no one wants them, we give then a deal near the minimum right? if a guy comes back with no offers, we don't throw 3 or 4 million a year at him like we did a couple years back (i forget who the player was)

that makes sense right?

I think, if for example James Jones gets no offers (unlikely, but still) you don't lowball him with the vet minimum but you pay him what you think he's worth. It's insulting to the player if they've been a performer, and there's no point bringing someone back into the locker room if they are going to gripe about their contract a week after they sign it.

I wouldn't throw crazy money at them, though.

Starks is a good backup, but with Harris and Franklin coming back he's not a high priority. His injury history also counts against him, as does the fact that everytime Rodgers dumps the ball off to him I hold my breath that he won't drop it. You'd have to be high on multiple drugs to pay him more than $1.5-2M/yr, especially with the other RBs still available.

You could spin it that what little interest there has been from other teams shows how good GB is at identifying and keeping its core players. We've gone thru most of the team's FAs in another thread, and I think most felt the majority were 'meh', so no surprise. There isn't going to be a big bidding war for Rob Francois. Pickett's getting old, Raji's hasn't produced, Wilson's JAG, Finley and Jolly might be done, Newhouse and M.D. Jennings are probably gone, etc.

Whether they the vet minimum depends on what their FA market value is. Contract demands play a role as well. I'd bet every team would sign Raji if they could get him at the vet minimum.

red
03-12-2014, 09:23 AM
Come on TT, let's do SOMETHING today...

don't hold your breath

wist43
03-12-2014, 09:24 AM
You guys really didn't think TT was going to sign anyone did you??

As for our pathetic defense - I'm serious when I say we should just forget about it, and quit throwing draft picks and money at it. All those high picks, and all that money... and we're one of the worst defenses in the league. We could get those results with street FA's across the board.

red
03-12-2014, 09:25 AM
I think, if for example James Jones gets no offers (unlikely, but still) you don't lowball him with the vet minimum but you pay him what you think he's worth. It's insulting to the player if they've been a performer, and there's no point bringing someone back into the locker room if they are going to gripe about their contract a week after they sign it.

I wouldn't throw crazy money at them, though.

Starks is a good backup, but with Harris and Franklin coming back he's not a high priority. His injury history also counts against him, as does the fact that everytime Rodgers dumps the ball off to him I hold my breath that he won't drop it. You'd have to be high on multiple drugs to pay him more than $1.5-2M/yr, especially with the other RBs still available.

You could spin it that what little interest there has been from other teams shows how good GB is at identifying and keeping its core players. We've gone thru most of the team's FAs in another thread, and I think most felt the majority were 'meh', so no surprise. There isn't going to be a big bidding war for Rob Francois. Pickett's getting old, Raji's hasn't produced, Wilson's JAG, Finley and Jolly might be done, Newhouse and M.D. Jennings are probably gone, etc.

Whether they the vet minimum depends on what their FA market value is. Contract demands play a role as well. I'd bet every team would sign Raji if they could get him at the vet minimum.

but if no one else wants them, then their market value is 0

run pMc
03-12-2014, 09:30 AM
you guys are nuts to think a do nothing raji is better then anyone at this point

I'm glad he didn't sign for $8M -- he's not worth that money.

I agree his production has not been good since the SB year. I think he'll get a short-term deal for more than his production justifies (even 1y/$4M seems high IMO) based on that one year, his "potential" and age. Mike Daniels has outplayed Raji, for example, but Raji's name will get him noticed and offers. I honestly wish they could find someone who can replace him, but 330# men who can move like he can (when he wants to) are hard to find.

Bossman641
03-12-2014, 09:31 AM

FA is the allure of the unknown. We obviously know our guys and can pick them apart a hell of a lot better than we can other teams' guys. Not sure how much you value what Polian says (I don't) but he grades Jackson a D, CJ Wilson a D, and Raji a C-.

pbmax
03-12-2014, 09:35 AM

Takes two to tango. Not signing doesn't mean has no value. Means they don't agree to value. If they are offering to play for minimum and getting no offers, then you point holds.

Don't think anyone is to that point in March.

run pMc
03-12-2014, 09:36 AM

True...sort of. In M.D. Jennings' case, I don't think he'll get any offers, and they can bring him back at the minimum to be a backup S/ST player.

Like I said, the contract demands also play into it.

In Raji's case, the reports of the rescinded $8Myr offer and the 1y/$4m offer on the table are out there, so he can shop around for that. If no other team bites, that doesn't mean TT will pull the $4M offer and give him the vet minimum.

Packers4Glory
03-12-2014, 09:46 AM

Relax.
doesn't help with the growing pains a rookie safety is going to have. It takes a couple years for safeties to get it. I don't want to rely on a rookie safety in the playoffs under the bright lights.

red
03-12-2014, 09:54 AM
cardinals, eagles and us are some of the teams interested in mike neal

according to Mike Garafolo

red
03-12-2014, 09:54 AM
doesn't help with the growing pains a rookie safety is going to have. It takes a couple years for safeties to get it. I don't want to rely on a rookie safety in the playoffs under the bright lights.

yeah, even collins wasn't very good his rookie year, it took him 2 or 3 years before it "clicked"

HarveyWallbangers
03-12-2014, 10:07 AM
I think the talk on Raji has reached hyperbole level. He hasn't been that bad. He was that bad the last half of this year after Jolly got injured, but he's been a solid player for many years. He played at Pro Bowl level in 2010. He was above average in 2011, average in 2012, and not good in 2013. I don't like the career projectory, but it seems the move to DE hasn't worked as well as they had hoped.

HarveyWallbangers
03-12-2014, 10:13 AM
http://jerseyal.com/GBP/2013/12/19/what-happened-to-packers-defensive-lineman-b-j-raji/

Through the season’s first eight games, Raji was a force. He was energetic and explosive and spent a good amount of time in the opposing team’s backfield. It looked like the Raji of 2010 had returned and he was finally establishing himself as one of those elite defensive lineman who doesn’t put up big stats, but makes a world of difference each and every week beyond the box score.

Then Raji fell off the face of the Earth. He didn’t just regress, he disappeared...

Rumor has it that Raji turned down an $8 million per season contract extension from the Packers earlier this season. At the time, the offer made sense. Raji is a big and athletic lineman who played well inside and was able to hold his own outside. He’s also durable, a rarity on the modern-day Packers. He wasn’t a superstar, but $8 million per year for the type of player that Raji was matched the market rate.

Now, after Raji’s disappearing act, $8 million per season seems like about $7.5 million too much.

HarveyWallbangers
03-12-2014, 10:15 AM
http://jerseyal.com/GBP/2014/02/04/bj-raji-green-bay-packers-2013-evaluation-and-report-card/

3) Expectations coming into the season: High. Raji was the 7th best 3-4 defensive end in 2012 according to ProFootballFocus and while Raji didn’t have outstanding statistics, most notably recording 0 sacks in 2012, Raji was still the best defensive linemen for the Packers, especially against the run. Many fans were expecting Raji to be a candidate for a mid-season extension in 2012, much like fellow 2009 1st round draft pick Clay Matthews but instead the Packers allowed Raji to finish out his contract with Raji trying to maximize his next contract with some great play. Again while impressive number probably were never in Raji’s cards, a couple dominating games with Raji splitting double teams and getting a couple sacks was not out of the question if Raji returned to 2010 form.

red
03-12-2014, 10:52 AM
is woodley worth going after? not that we would go after him even if he was worth it

guys got tons of experience in a system similar to ours

HarveyWallbangers
03-12-2014, 11:01 AM
is woodley worth going after? not that we would go after him even if he was worth it

I would normally say perhaps, but Woodley has been injury prone the last three years (missed 3-6 games each year), so I'm guessing no. We already have three OLBs (if you include Mike Neal) who can't stay healthy.

pittstang5
03-12-2014, 11:15 AM

I hope Neal stays. At this point, even with his injuries I'd take him over Perry. Perry just pisses me off - he's so hot and cold.

pbmax
03-12-2014, 11:24 AM
http://jerseyal.com/GBP/2013/12/19/what-happened-to-packers-defensive-lineman-b-j-raji/

http://jerseyal.com/GBP/2014/02/04/bj-raji-green-bay-packers-2013-evaluation-and-report-card/

This timeline seems problematic. At some point in the offseason Raji turned down $8 mil per year. The D starts out on fire. The D and Raji tank (wasn't Bears game when the run D collapsed, same game as Rodgers getting hurt) and the offer gets pulled.

Jolly was hurt later.

Between those two events, Raji was playing so poorly they pulled the offer. I tend to think the early season Raji they described was the 2012 version, not 2013. He was not in the backfield much and we all attributed it to more attention paid to occupying gaps and not letting runners get free.

I still think, though have no evidence, that the best explanation for Raji's late season disappearance was the pulling of the contract after his early season averageness.

pbmax
03-12-2014, 11:26 AM

Steelers are in cap trouble so you would think you could find help. But they reason they are in cap trouble is injury and age. Woodley has one of those problems and the Packers don't need more of it.

mraynrand
03-12-2014, 11:27 AM
Now, after Raji’s disappearing act, $8 million per season seems like about $7.5 million too much.

brutal

mraynrand
03-12-2014, 11:32 AM
Actually, I would argue that Raji at his best has been a more impactful player than Jackson.

Raji's best >> Jackson's best. No doubt in my mind. But right now?? Who can tell? Both have severely underperformed. If Raji is truly stuck where he was at the end of the season, Jackson is better. But Raji can play better. But he might not ever again. I'm not 'blindly trusting' TT, but have to acknowledge that he has a better idea where Raji's head is at. Raji as he is, is worthless, but if he returns close to top form, he's worth the 4 mil/ year.

Smidgeon
03-12-2014, 11:32 AM
you don't have to overpay to come to GB. We have perhaps the best QB in the league. A strong offense. In the playoff hunt every year. A super bowl contender nearly every season. Believe it or not some guys want to win and will go where the money and the best shot to win. If we offer Player A the same deal as Miami where is the dude going to sign? If he's worth a shit as a competitor it's here. If he's just a party guy then we don't want him anyway.

And that's why a lot of players skip over GB. It's only later in their years that players will sacrifice almost anything (even some money) for a chance at a championship. But TT doesn't seem to want aged players. So there isn't a lot of mutual interest.

Smidgeon
03-12-2014, 11:33 AM

True, but also remember that Woodson didn't want to be in GB. He chose GB because Tampa wanted him as a safety, and GB wanted him as a corner. He hated GB. He said it was only after being here a while that the place grew on him. So even though Woodson was late, he wasn't low-hanging fruit for GB. For him, GB was his only option.

Smidgeon
03-12-2014, 11:34 AM
Andrew Brandt once said the biggest obstacle to getting players to visit the Packers first is that Thompson would not commit to certain contract parameters before the visit. If possible, the players' agent wants to go to the best offer first, create a reverse car dealership hotbox where the player is about to leave for his next favorite team (think Childress in Minneapolis not being allowed to leave for GB) and then drive a hard bargain to get the higher end of the agreed upon parameters.

Forgot about this one too.

Smidgeon
03-12-2014, 11:35 AM
Not afraid of Seahawks. Not the same matchup problem as 49ers. Maybe more worrisome if the replacement refs are calling the game.

Fixed.

Smidgeon
03-12-2014, 11:35 AM

"Massaging" the cap. The same way they did in 1997.

Fritz
03-12-2014, 11:36 AM
And that's why a lot of players skip over GB. It's only later in their years that players will sacrifice almost anything (even some money) for a chance at a championship. But TT doesn't seem to want aged players. So there isn't a lot of mutual interest.

This is a good point.

So, after yesterday's flurry, no signings yet today?

Any Packers visiting anyone today, besides Finley and EDS (I don't know if Finley's visit is today, or if it's for later in the week)?

Any word on Neal visiting anyone, or James Jones, or Quarless?

ANd how's the BJ Raji World Tour going?

mraynrand
03-12-2014, 11:45 AM
You guys really didn't think TT was going to sign anyone did you??

As for our pathetic defense - I'm serious when I say we should just forget about it, and quit throwing draft picks and money at it. All those high picks, and all that money... and we're one of the worst defenses in the league. We could get those results with street FA's across the board.

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/9/96884/2189844-1832888244_1254111814_820632_525x700_mika_with_gun _in_mouth_answer_2_xlarge.jpeg

3irty1
03-12-2014, 11:50 AM
The Broncos are as all in as you can be. They are just going hog wild while on death row.

denverYooper
03-12-2014, 11:52 AM
The Broncos are as all in as you can be. They are just going hog wild while on death row.

They have no choice at this point. They're locked in to this thing until Manning craters.

mraynrand
03-12-2014, 11:56 AM
They have no choice at this point. They're locked in to this thing until Manning craters.

Win now! They are probably consulting with Mike Sherman. Look for them to trade up in the draft. If they draft a kicker, you know they got Shermy on the line

Joemailman
03-12-2014, 12:04 PM

Bears are also reportedly interested in Neal.

Randy Starks re-signs with Dolphins. http://nfl.si.com/2014/03/12/randy-starks-deal-miami-dolphins/

Smeefers
03-12-2014, 12:20 PM
I'm not going to lie, I'm kind of frustrated this offseason. I have never been one to want TT to go out and spend big money in free agency, but with almost 30 million in cap space and with the cap supposed to sky rocket the next few years, I would like us to be more active this year. It only makes sense. At the very least we should be bringing back most of our good players if not going out and trying to land a starter to fill a hole.

There's a difference between getting a starter and getting a pro bowler. There's still plenty of starters available.

Striker
03-12-2014, 12:24 PM
There's a difference between getting a starter and getting a pro bowler. There's still plenty of starters available.

^^^^ this.

Since the Pro Bowl is primarily a statistics/glamour contest, a lot of good players can slide by unnoticed for whatever reason (not in a flash position, bad team, etc).

QBME
03-12-2014, 12:36 PM

You're right - they are beginning to look like George Allen's Over The Hill Gang in Washington (if you're old enough to remember).

Striker
03-12-2014, 12:37 PM
Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 5m
And the Chicago Bears announce they've signed #Packers safety M.D. Jennings to a one-year contract.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 11m
Tight end news... RT @TomSilverstein Owen Daniels is making a visit to Green Bay to meet with the #Packers, according to an NFL source.

red
03-12-2014, 12:37 PM

plenty of starters went yesterday, remember, many folks on here feel "just starters" are worth 4-5 million per year (jones, burnett, lang, hawk, etc)

plenty of guys went in that range that were just starters yesterday

there were very few actual "crazy, insane" type of deals yesterday

red
03-12-2014, 12:39 PM
Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 5m
And the Chicago Bears announce they've signed #Packers safety M.D. Jennings to a one-year contract.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 11m
Tight end news... RT @TomSilverstein Owen Daniels is making a visit to Green Bay to meet with the #Packers, according to an NFL source.

thats is awesome news about jennings and the bears

and interesting news. daniels is older, but good. would be an upgrade over finley imo

SMBASS
03-12-2014, 12:41 PM
[QUOTE=Striker;777411]Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 5m

Great news. Now that Chicago has signed two stud safety's in Jennings and Ryan Mundy they won't be looking to take one in front of us during the draft! (Sarcasm alert.)

HarveyWallbangers
03-12-2014, 12:44 PM
Supposedly, Daniels failed his physical with Houston. If he failed his physical with another team, I'm guessing he won't pass his physical with our doctors.
:)

Not yet anyways.

mraynrand
03-12-2014, 12:44 PM
As impossible as it seems, M.D. Jennings is an upgrade for Chicago. But having him out of GB is an upgrade for us as well. If you follow this syllogism to it's proper conclusion you get the following hierarchy:

empty grass > M.D. Jennings > Chicago Safeties

red
03-12-2014, 12:48 PM
lol

Teamcheez1
03-12-2014, 12:51 PM
As impossible as it seems, M.D. Jennings is an upgrade for Chicago. But having him out of GB is an upgrade for us as well. If you follow this syllogism to it's proper conclusion you get the following hierarchy:

That is good news. Addition by subtraction. Any way we get them to trade for Newhouse or Brad Jones?

HarveyWallbangers
03-12-2014, 12:51 PM
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-perks-of-being-patient-in-nfl-free-agency/

In all, the whole thing was pretty damn fun. So much so, that by the time it all started to wind down, another yearly free-agent tradition began: beat writers for historically patient teams talking fans off the edge.

:)

mraynrand
03-12-2014, 12:57 PM
That is good news. Addition by subtraction. Any way we get them to trade for Newhouse

What a score it would be to be able to get Newhouse on an NFC north game day active roster. Actually having him play for a competitor is Manchurian Candidate kind of territory. As terrible as some of the other GMs out there are, I can't even fathom any of them being epically stupid enough to add Marshmallow Outhouse to their squad. I'm still shocked that the Packers allowed him on the team plane coming back from Detroit. If he makes the roster this year, that's a bigger black mark on TT than anything I can think of in the past that he's done or imagine he could do in the future.

Bossman641
03-12-2014, 01:00 PM
To put things in perspective, we were one of 12 teams to not sign a FA yesterday. 6 of the other teams were also playoff teams.

And Barnwell (an analyst I like) wasn't as convinced there were steals yesterday.

http://grantland.com/features/free-agent-frenzy/

Teams made clear statements of intent about their future and there were almost no bargains.

Vontae Davis returned to the Colts on a four-year, $39 million deal that echoed the total value given to Sam Shields, just with $20 million in guaranteed money to Shields’s $12.5 million. Is it too early for Shields to ask for a raise?

At safety, the other big deal went to former 49er Donte Whitner, who wrangled a four-year, $28 million deal from the Browns despite seemingly being at fault on every big pass play against the 49ers over the past two seasons. Whitner is a solid run defender and will be expected to fill in there, but it’s hard to imagine that the Browns wouldn’t have been better off giving Ward the same deal.

The players the Browns signed are certainly bigger names, and they cost more, but they’re also older and have their own question marks. Whitner is something close to a disaster in coverage, and the track record of 49ers defenders after leaving San Francisco leaves much to be desired.

red
03-12-2014, 01:03 PM
ware just signed with the elways

3 years 30 million

pretty steep price, but not unexpected

Bossman641
03-12-2014, 01:03 PM
He also thinks the Saints are all in this year with Byrd due to 1) Brees' age and 2)concern they won't be able to retain Graham past this year. Byrd also currently has the 3rd largest guarantee for a defensive player behind only Hali and Charles Johnson.

3irty1
03-12-2014, 01:07 PM
Here's hoping MD Jennings is a better double agent than he is a free safety. TT is a genius.

denverYooper
03-12-2014, 01:15 PM
thats is awesome news about jennings and the bears

and interesting news. daniels is older, but good. would be an upgrade over finley imo

He'll be a more credible blocker, that's for sure.

SMBASS
03-12-2014, 01:25 PM
More good news. The Bears just lost their best Q.B.. Josh McCown signed by Tampa Bay to a 2 yr./10 mil. deal

Brandon494
03-12-2014, 01:26 PM
He also thinks the Saints are all in this year with Byrd due to 1) Brees' age and 2)concern they won't be able to retain Graham past this year. Byrd also currently has the 3rd largest guarantee for a defensive player behind only Hali and Charles Johnson.

I think they are trying to match the Seahawks with great safety duo pairing him up with Kenny Vaccaro.

Joemailman
03-12-2014, 01:42 PM
More good news. The Bears just lost their best Q.B.. Josh McCown signed by Tampa Bay to a two year deal.

Yes, but now that he'll be running Lovie Smith's offense again, his career is probably over.

SMBASS
03-12-2014, 01:44 PM
Yes, but now that he'll be running Lovie Smith's offense again, his career is probably over.

Lovie Land....the place where good Q.B.'s go to die?

pbmax
03-12-2014, 01:51 PM

The trade term for empty grass is hole in zone, but your point is well made regardless. :lol:

red
03-12-2014, 01:53 PM
He'll be a more credible blocker, that's for sure.

and sure handed i believe. he's the kind of guy that if you need 5 yards on third down, he can get it for you

pbmax
03-12-2014, 01:53 PM

Its Tedford's O now and I am not sure that bodes better for McCown or not.

pbmax
03-12-2014, 01:54 PM
Will Daniel's be able to make it to the team facility without assistance? Are there ramps?

Is this just an attempt to bring down Garrett Graham's price?

Brandon494
03-12-2014, 01:54 PM
Say what you will about Lovie but I for one was glad when the Bears fired him. Matter of fact I'll go ahead and say it now that the Bucs will be a playoff team next season.

pbmax
03-12-2014, 01:57 PM
Say what you will about Lovie but I for one was glad when the Bears fired him. Matter of fact I'll go ahead and say it now that the Bucs will be a playoff team next season.

Seriously? You don't think Trestman stands a better chance with a rebuilt D?

pbmax
03-12-2014, 02:01 PM
Sources: Jets have expressed a real interest in Packers free-agent WR James Jones. #nyj Story: http://nydn.us/1gq8R37

Pros:

More Money

Cons:

Cost of Living
Geno Smith
Mark Sanchez
Rex Ryan
Marty Mornhinweg
Media
Joe Namath
Mike Vick rumors

pbmax
03-12-2014, 02:03 PM
Packer Rumor!

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 26m
In Tenn., @jwyattsports reports that #Steelers DL Al Woods is scheduled to meet with #Packers on Thursday. Had 16 tackles, two sacks in '13.

red
03-12-2014, 02:06 PM
Will Daniel's be able to make it to the team facility without assistance? Are there ramps?

Is this just an attempt to bring down Garrett Graham's price?

maybe they're gonna sign both?

we do need TE's

red
03-12-2014, 02:07 PM
Packer Rumor!

In Tenn., @jwyattsports reports that #Steelers DL Al Woods is scheduled to meet with #Packers on Thursday. Had 16 tackles, two sacks in '13.

hot damn, those are better numbers then raji, lets throw 8 million at him

pittstang5
03-12-2014, 02:14 PM
Owen Daniels only played 5 games last year. He get hurt? What happened?

red
03-12-2014, 02:16 PM

broke his leg

Brandon494
03-12-2014, 02:16 PM

And we know Trestman can "rebuilt" a defense how? Lovie's defense got them to the Super Bowl with Rex and he had a winning record against us. Only thing Lovie didn't know how to do was find a good offensive coordinator.

mraynrand
03-12-2014, 02:17 PM

I'm more worried about Chicago's GM than Trestman. But yeah, Lovie's a good coach. Played out the string in Chicago. Sometimes a coach just needs a new setting (Andy Reid), or sometimes they really are finished (Shanahan). I don't know which way Lovie will go...

Joemailman
03-12-2014, 02:18 PM

Over the last 5 years, Daniels has missed an average of 5 games a year.

Brandon494
03-12-2014, 02:18 PM
Packer Rumor!

Bye Bye Raji!

pittstang5
03-12-2014, 02:19 PM

OH..

Come On Down Mr. Daniels....you'll fit right in!

Joemailman
03-12-2014, 02:20 PM
Bye Bye Raji!

Or maybe it's "Make up your mind Raji". Woods is scheduled to meet with Tennessee today.

Brandon494
03-12-2014, 02:21 PM
I'm more worried about Chicago's GM than Trestman. But yeah, Lovie's a good coach. Played out the string in Chicago. Sometimes a coach just needs a new setting (Andy Reid), or sometimes they really are finished (Shanahan). I don't know which way Lovie will go...

Shanahan screwed up hiring his son and all his friends as coordinators.

Tony Oday
03-12-2014, 02:23 PM
If James Jones leaves do we sign a vet WR or is it just draft and rock out with Jordy, Cobb and Boykin?

mraynrand
03-12-2014, 02:24 PM
Shanahan screwed up hiring his son and all his friends as coordinators.

Sure, but Lovie could make similar mistakes too. Part of success can be to blind you to surrounding yourself with people who will appropriately critique your work. As examples, I give you George Mucus and Star Wars episodes I-III.

BTW, Kyle Shanahan landed on his feet in Cleveland as OC. Holy Smokes!

Brandon494
03-12-2014, 02:25 PM
If James Jones leaves do we sign a vet WR or is it just draft and rock out with Jordy, Cobb and Boykin?

Its TT, what do you think? ;-)

I hear Nicks would like to do a 1 year deal, maybe we'd have enough cap room to work something out but I highly doubt it. They liked what they saw from Boykin last season and drafting WR is TT strong point. I'd rather then sign a proven player at enough position and let him draft a WR then vise versa.

pittstang5
03-12-2014, 02:27 PM

If they don't sign Jones, they won't sign a vet. They need to save that money to extend Nelson and Cobb. Draft and develope. This year's draft is loaded with good WRs.

Bossman641
03-12-2014, 02:28 PM
No thanks to Daniels.

5 games missed/yr in Houston + Packer training staff = at least 8 games in GB

red
03-12-2014, 02:30 PM

so, the same as finley?

they both have 19 td's over those 5 years

daniels in the last 5 years has 2635 yards on 218 catches

finley in the last 5 years had 2711 yards on 217 catches

pbmax
03-12-2014, 02:32 PM
sir broosk ‏@celebrityhottub 1h
And the Bucs can now start making Glennonmccown, the world's most inaccurate scotch.

Brandon494
Sure, but Lovie could make similar mistakes too. Part of success can be to blind you to surrounding yourself with people who will appropriately critique your work. As examples, I give you George Mucus and Star Wars episodes I-III.

BTW, Kyle Shanahan landed on his feet in Cleveland as OC. Holy Smokes!

They want Johnny Football to have a similar year to what RGIII had his rookie year I guess, I didn't understand the hire.

As for Lovie he has hired Jeff Tedford at OC and Leslie Frazier at DC. Both guys have been around and both have head coaching experience. Lovie just reminds me so much of Tony Dungy, I don't think I ever saw the guy lose his cool on the sidelines or in an interview.

Tony Oday
No thanks to Daniels.

5 games missed/yr in Houston + Packer training staff = at least 8 games in GB

This is a load of crap...with our training staff it would have been career...

pbmax
03-12-2014, 02:33 PM
And we know Trestman can "rebuilt" a defense how? Lovie's defense got them to the Super Bowl with Rex and he had a winning record against us. Only thing Lovie didn't know how to do was find a good offensive coordinator.

Lovie never had a OC as good as Trestman's DC Mel Tucker, at least by my estimation. However, Rand has a better point that the GM might be the biggest difference.

Lovie may have corrected things for himself by getting Tedford to go with him to Tampa.

run pMc
03-12-2014, 02:47 PM
hot damn, those are better numbers then raji, lets throw 8 million at him

LOL good one red.

run pMc
03-12-2014, 02:50 PM

I think they'll draft a WR regardless. Cobb and Jordy will get extensions, but they'll need to stay low salary at the other WR spots, and I'm not sold on Myles White.

SMBASS
03-12-2014, 02:50 PM
Golden Taint signed by the Lions to a 5 yr. deal. No contract details yet.

SMBASS
03-12-2014, 02:52 PM
Revis has officially been cut by Tampa Bay and Cleveland has cut Brandon Weeden.

SMBASS
03-12-2014, 03:04 PM
Ravens re-sign Jacoby Jones to a new 4 yr./14 mil. deal. 4.5M guaranteed.

pbmax
03-12-2014, 03:07 PM

At long last, someone to dislike on the Lions besides Suh.

pittstang5
03-12-2014, 03:08 PM

Now, WE NEED to find a big hitter safety to knock that punk ass out.

pbmax
03-12-2014, 03:15 PM
Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 6m
@jasonjwilde At end of day, all I/we really care about is whether they can string together a few sentences in an interview. James is great.

A good testimonial for James the person. Not quite what you want about James the football player though.

pbmax
03-12-2014, 03:17 PM

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 9m
The #Lions deal for WR Golden Tate is five years for $31M with $13.25M guaranteed, per source.

SMBASS
03-12-2014, 03:18 PM
Golden Taint's contract with the Lions...5 yrs./31 mil./13.25 mil. guaranteed.

Whoops...you beat me to it. P.B.. Didn't see your post.

Guiness
03-12-2014, 03:21 PM
Revis has officially been cut by Tampa Bay and Cleveland has cut Brandon Weeden.

Hard to figure out just what happened there...with three teams 'talking' to the Bucs, you think someone would've made an offer, which the Bucs would take, because, well, it's better than nothing right? Even if it was a 7th rounder.

I guess one possibility is that they all asked Revis's agent if he'd take a pay cut, and the agent replied 'no' to all of them, so none of them actually made an offer.

pbmax
03-12-2014, 03:23 PM
Michael David Smith ‏@MichaelDavSmith 16m
Of the Top 22 players in the 2012 NFL draft, 20 remain with their original teams. The exceptions? Trent Richardson, Brandon Weeden. #Browns

SMBASS
03-12-2014, 03:24 PM
Hard to figure out just what happened there...with three teams 'talking' to the Bucs, you think someone would've made an offer, which the Bucs would take, because, well, it's better than nothing right? Even if it was a 7th rounder.

I guess one possibility is that they all asked Revis's agent if he'd take a pay cut, and the agent replied 'no' to all of them, so none of them actually made an offer.

You're right Guiness. The way I understand it Revis wouldn't agree to restructure or take a pay cut and Tampa Bay had a 4 p.m. est. deadline to do something so they had to cut him loose.

pbmax
03-12-2014, 03:24 PM
Ed Bouchette ‏@EdBouchette 2h
Hold on. Steelers DE Al Woods deal may not be done after all in Tennessee.

Bossman641
03-12-2014, 03:28 PM
You're right Guiness. The way I understand it Revis wouldn't agree to restructure or take a pay cut and Tampa Bay had a 4 p.m. est. deadline to do something so they had to cut him loose.

Will be interesting to see what happens with Revis. Will he chase the bigger bucks in Cleveland/Oakland or give a discount to a contender?

mraynrand
03-12-2014, 03:29 PM
Of the Top 22 players in the 2012 NFL draft, 20 remain with their original teams. The exceptions? Trent Richardson, Brandon Weeden. #Browns

#Thefutureisnow

red
03-12-2014, 03:31 PM

yeah revis kept saying he wouldn't take a cent less if traded

so, that was probably the end of the trade interest

SMBASS
03-12-2014, 03:32 PM
Will be interesting to see what happens with Revis. Will he chase the bigger bucks in Cleveland/Oakland or give a discount to a contender?

It sounds like the Browns and Raiders were the two teams T.B. was in trade negotiations with when Revis declined to restructure or take a cut so I don't know if he'll end up in either of those places now. Maybe he and his agent purposely balked so that he could become unrestricted and negotiate with any team. I really have no idea where he is going to end up for the money he seems to be asking.

pbmax
03-12-2014, 03:33 PM
Ed Bouchette ‏@EdBouchette 2h
Hold on. Steelers DE Al Woods deal may not be done after all in Tennessee.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 13s
Al Woods has indeed signed with @TennesseeTitans So, so much for Thursdays' visit with the #Packers - and so much for the story was writing

Guiness
03-12-2014, 03:35 PM

Yup, they'd owe him a roster bonus and the pick they were sending the Jets changed from a 4th to a 3rd rounder. Jets had the same situation the year before, bit the bullet and paid the roster bonus. It worked out for them, they were able to negotiate a trade, obviously the Bucs felt they wouldn't be able to.

SMBASS
03-12-2014, 03:36 PM
Al Woods has indeed signed with @TennesseeTitans So, so much for Thursdays' visit with the #Packers - and so much for the story was writing

Well that was anti-climatic. Heck, T.T. can't even get them to board a plane and visit G.B.! Lol... (sarcasm)

Bossman641
03-12-2014, 03:37 PM

Another one bites the dust

SMBASS
03-12-2014, 03:40 PM
Along with Weeden the Browns just cut Jason Campbell.

SMBASS
03-12-2014, 03:42 PM

Nice draft Holmy...ughh...

How in the Hell could Ron Wolf/Harlan/The Packers have been smart enough to let Holmgren walk instead of giving him control of both the coach and G.M. positions but then turn around and give both positions to Sherman?? Man, I'll never figure that one out unless it was done just to spite Holmgren and rub it in his face.

KYPack
03-12-2014, 03:55 PM

How in the Hell could Ron Wolf/Harlan/The Packers have been smart enough to let Holmgren walk instead of giving him control of both the coach and G.M. positions but then turn around and give both positions to Sherman?? Man, I'll never figure that one out unless it was done just to spite Holmgren and rub it in his face.

I've felt that way, too. Ron Wolf sat in the Raider offices for years at the right hand of Al Davis, he learned to be vindictive from the master. I've always felt that Wolf and Harlan wanted to show Holmy what he could have had if he stayed in GB. If anybody gives Holmgren a FO gig now, they are crazy.

Joemailman
03-12-2014, 03:58 PM
nm

SMBASS
03-12-2014, 04:01 PM
I've felt that way, too. Ron Wolf sat in the Raider offices for years at the right hand of Al Davis, he learned to be vindictive from the master. I've always felt that Wolf and Harlan wanted to show Holmy what he could have had if he stayed in GB. If anybody gives Holmgren a FO gig now, they are crazy.

Yeah KY...to say Holmgren's front office career has been a colossal failure is the understatement of the year!

red
03-12-2014, 04:18 PM

i don't know if you can completely come down on the browns for that draft. sure both players sucked

but as soon as they knew richarson sucked they traded him away and got a first round pick right back

SMBASS
03-12-2014, 04:25 PM
i don't know if you can completely come down on the browns for that draft. sure both players sucked

but as soon as they knew richarson sucked they traded him away and got a first round pick right back

True Red but Holmgren was already gone from the Browns when they dumped Richardson. I was primarily commenting about Holmgren's ineptness but then the Browns can't be let completely off the hook either since they hired him and gave him control in the first place.

pbmax
03-12-2014, 04:28 PM
Well that was anti-climatic. Heck, T.T. can't even get them to board a plane and visit G.B.! Lol... (sarcasm)

ITS BACK ON!!!!

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 2m
Just got message back from the office of Al Woods' agent after a mix-up. He IS coming to visit #Packers. He has NOT signed with Titans.

SMBASS
03-12-2014, 04:32 PM
ITS BACK ON!!!!

Just got message back from the office of Al Woods' agent after a mix-up. He IS coming to visit #Packers. He has NOT signed with Titans.

Praise the football Gods! Lol! Roll out the red carpet for him and shut down the airport after he arrives so he can't leave before he signs a contract! (Might as well get excited about a visit from someone since there's nothing else going on.)

pbmax
03-12-2014, 04:41 PM
Robert Klemko ‏@RobertKlemko 45s
lolmg RT @DawgsByNature: Someone on Reddit says #Browns leaked free agent board when Farmer came out for the presser. pic.twitter.com/vgSSTGX4mr

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bijo_yoCIAA8QTg.png:large

oldbutnotdeadyet
03-12-2014, 04:42 PM
Praise the football Gods! Lol! Roll out the red carpet for him and shut down the airport after he arrives so he can't leave before he signs a contract! (Might as well get excited about a visit from someone since there's nothing else going on.)

Agree, but Al fucking Woods?

pbmax
03-12-2014, 04:43 PM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 4m
Packers fought off #Cardinals RT @mneal96: Hi Green Bay!!! I'll enjoy your winters for two more years!!

red
03-12-2014, 04:44 PM
ITS BACK ON!!!!

this has been a confusing mess for hours now

he visited the titans, and word came out that he signed there earlier today. then they schedule the meeting with green bay, and the titans press assume the deals off. then they come back a little while ago and say the deal with the titans did go through before. now we're hear he's still coming to green bay tomorrow

what the fuck is going on?

red
03-12-2014, 04:46 PM
lolmg RT @DawgsByNature: Someone on Reddit says #Browns leaked free agent board when Farmer came out for the presser. pic.twitter.com/vgSSTGX4mr

that would have been funnier if there was like 10 guys on the list all crossed off, with the last guy on the list being the guy they were about to announce as their new addition

red
03-12-2014, 04:47 PM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 4m
Packers fought off #Cardinals RT @mneal96: Hi Green Bay!!! I'll enjoy your winters for two more years!!

sweet, good news

pbmax
03-12-2014, 04:47 PM
this has been a confusing mess for hours now

he visited the titans, and word came out that he signed there earlier today. then they schedule the meeting with green bay, and the titans press assume the deals off. then they come back a little while ago and say the deal with the titans did go through before. now we're hear he's still coming to green bay tomorrow

what the fuck is going on?

He was at Tenn first and schedule to go to GB and somewhere else. Then word leaked he was staying and signing. But that second report was, as Bill Huber at Packer Report put it, "a mix-up".

Bossman641
03-12-2014, 04:49 PM
Neal is back? Good news

red
03-12-2014, 04:50 PM
O'Brien Schofield is a guy both me and bretsky liked coming out of the draft, signed with the giants today for a pretty hefty 2 year 8 million dollar deal.

they then gave him a physical, which he failed. reports say he failed it because of his knee that he tore up in 2010

now the deal has been called off

Tony Oday
03-12-2014, 04:51 PM
Al Woods? JAG?

red
03-12-2014, 04:51 PM
He was at Tenn first and schedule to go to GB and somewhere else. Then word leaked he was staying and signing. But that second report was, as Bill Huber at Packer Report put it, "a mix-up".

there was another report in there too.

i looked him up when word came out that we were bringing him in for a visit, and i found a tweet or post about him already signing the deal with the tits

red
03-12-2014, 04:52 PM
Al Woods? JAG?

bj raji= jag but way more expensive

and woods can actually play in the 3-4

pittstang5
03-12-2014, 04:53 PM
Neal is back? Good news

ESPN free agent tracker is saying he is. This is good news indeed

pbmax
03-12-2014, 04:56 PM
Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty 34s
League source confirms @mneal96 has re-signed with Packers

SMBASS
03-12-2014, 04:57 PM
Agree, but Al fucking Woods?

Guess the sarcasm didn't come through. Gotta remember to keeping adding the, (sarcasm alert) after some of my posts.

red
03-12-2014, 04:59 PM
Guess the sarcasm didn't come through. Gotta remember to keeping adding the, (sarcasm alert) after some of my posts.

http://img.playground.ru/images/1/4/The_Sarcasm_Misunderstanding_by_ThePlotThinnens.jp g

pbmax
03-12-2014, 05:00 PM
bj raji= jag but way more expensive

and woods can actually play in the 3-4

Yeah, but Woods has already been with a bunch of teams. Pretty much definition of JAG unless he is psychotic.

Joemailman
03-12-2014, 05:02 PM
TT let the Bears have M.D. Jennings, but not Mike Neal. TT is a genius!

pbmax
03-12-2014, 05:07 PM
TT let the Bears have M.D. Jennings, but not Mike Neal. TT is a genius!

Addition through subtraction through (Bears') addition.

pbmax
03-12-2014, 05:10 PM
Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 37s
One #Packers player earlier this off-season pointed to Mike Neal as the guy TT needed to keep. Noted that Neal will play through pain.

red
03-12-2014, 05:13 PM
Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 37s
One #Packers player earlier this off-season pointed to Mike Neal as the guy TT needed to keep. Noted that Neal will play through pain.

doesn't sound like he fits in with the rest of the guys in the locker room

pittstang5
03-12-2014, 05:14 PM
Really interested to see what Neal got. Heard 2 years but no numbers yet

pbmax
03-12-2014, 05:16 PM

Well, here are SOME numbers:

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 22m
$100 million, all guaranteed. RT @MurrDawg52: @TomSilverstein 2 year deal for how much?

red
03-12-2014, 05:17 PM

i'm guessing 4 or 5 per year, all guaranteed

pittstang5
03-12-2014, 05:18 PM
Well, here are SOME numbers:

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 22m
$100 million, all guaranteed. RT @MurrDawg52: @TomSilverstein 2 year deal for how much?

That's a steal for a player that plays through pain

wist43
03-12-2014, 05:27 PM
Really surprised TT signed Neal - surprised he signed anyone, lol...

Thought Neal would attract interest on the open market.

I like how Neal transitioned to OLB - but of course it doesn't do anything to help us improve. We were junk with Neal and Shields - both players I like - we're still going to be junk. The defense is completely hopeless.

Bossman641
03-12-2014, 05:37 PM
2 years of Neal would have him and Perry hitting FA at the same time. Hopefully one distinguishes himself.

Joemailman
03-12-2014, 05:37 PM
Giants sign former Denver C J.D. Walton. Walton started 36 straight games for Denver before breaking/dislocating an ankle in 2012. He hasn't played since. http://www.sportsmedia101.com/newyorkgiants/2014/03/12/new-york-giants-sign-center-j-d-walton/

Looks like EDS may not be going to New York.

Guiness
03-12-2014, 05:38 PM

I like how Neal transitioned to OLB - but of course it doesn't do anything to help us improve. We were junk with Neal and Shields - both players I like - we're still going to be junk. The defense is completely hopeless.

I am looking forward to seeing Neale and Mathews on the field together. I think it happened early last year, but Neale was still getting his sea legs at that time.

pittstang5
03-12-2014, 05:48 PM
Giants sign former Denver C J.D. Walton. Walton started 36 straight games for Denver before breaking/dislocating an ankle in 2012. He hasn't played since. http://www.sportsmedia101.com/newyorkgiants/2014/03/12/new-york-giants-sign-center-j-d-walton/

Looks like EDS may not be going to New York.

With Neal signed, I'm betting TT now focuses on EDS (assuming TT even wants EDS back)

mraynrand
03-12-2014, 05:55 PM

HA HA HA !!! GROSSMAN!!!

http://www.packerpalace.com/blogold/kgb-rex-nye_priceless2.jpg

denverYooper
03-12-2014, 05:55 PM
Packer Rumor!

Now that's a TT-type signing. Not flashy, seems like a solid system fit.

mraynrand
03-12-2014, 05:58 PM

http://25.media.tumblr.com/23d4a3577c8e562ea49a806c7f5665f2/tumblr_mzmrycURBd1tqohp6o1_500.gif

mraynrand
03-12-2014, 06:15 PM

http://www.bestproducttesters.com/symptoms/img/body.jpg