View Full Version : Unofficial World Cup Thread de 2014

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

wootah
06-17-2014, 12:36 PM
Of which 1 on target: the penalty.

Belgium is playing terrible, though. Nice counter this one :)

hoosier
06-17-2014, 12:40 PM
My inclination is to root for the underdog but it's hard when the underdog seems content with a tie, and poetic justice when they don't get it.

wootah
06-17-2014, 12:46 PM
My inclination is to root for the underdog but it's hard when the underdog seems content with a tie, and poetic justice when they don't get it.

It seems like they couldn't do much better. Pretty poor team... Belgium's substitutes made the difference today.

hoosier
06-17-2014, 12:51 PM
That's what I meant about friendly seeding :-)

wootah
06-17-2014, 12:53 PM
I can't disagree. Russia will be much different... Our youngsters were nervous as hell! Didn't expect that since they have quite some international experience for their age. It seems a world cup is still something else.

hoosier
06-17-2014, 01:11 PM
The tournament would be better if all second place teams in groups were not guaranteed a slot in the second round. Make teams like Algeria that are in a weak group play for the win.

wootah
06-17-2014, 01:13 PM
2nd place in this group will probably play against Germany which is 80% chance of elimination IMO.

hoosier
06-17-2014, 02:06 PM
I guess some teams are just happy to make it to the sweet 16. From a player's perspective, it must be pretty shitty to know that you have nothing to lose and yet your coach still makes you play for the draw.

wootah
06-17-2014, 02:40 PM
Jozy out for the remainder of the tournament, it seems.

Freak Out
06-17-2014, 03:18 PM
Jozy out for the remainder of the tournament, it seems.

Not good news really.

pbmax
06-17-2014, 03:46 PM
Not good news really.

Bring back Donovan!

Can they actually modify rosters at this point?

wootah
06-17-2014, 04:09 PM
No.

Guiness
06-17-2014, 06:30 PM
Bring back Donovan!

Can they actually modify rosters at this point?

Ya, the decision to exclude him in favour of Davis, and bring Greene along to get exposure on the world stage was controversial to start with, and now with Jozy out for the tourney, it could come back to haunt them.

But, nothing succeeds like success, and their 1-0. Story is it was a personality conflict, and Klinsmann couldn't tolerate him.

pbmax
06-18-2014, 10:35 AM
OK, after reading a bunch of stuff, from fan blowhards (surprisingly led by Jason LaConfora who at CBS must lead a double life as a soccer hooligan) to Greg Howard at Deadspin (who saw, in the Ghana win, everything that will lead to the fall of the USMNT and Western Civilization) I take away the following things.

1. Beasley is a catastrophe of a left back only likely to stay in place because no one else is fit to take his spot. I have never seen a defender in soccer just fall down while alone trying to track an opponent. Beasley did this at least twice. Don't take my word for it though, I have watched a grand total of less than 15 total matches.

2. Center backs Geoff Cameron and Matt Besler saved Beasley numerous times while having very good matches

3. Bradley is an analytical mystery
. . . Jersey Al, Packer blogger and soccer expert, says Bradley was troubled by Ghana's speed and ball pressure, rendering the passing in the middle terrible
. . . Howard says Bradley was generally terrible and was man-marked throughout the match and never found a way to counteract it
. . . LaConfora, in his woodbuckian post, claims Bradley is terrible and is possibly, currently, possessed by enemy spirits (but expects this to clear up by next game)
. . . pbmax claims the US midfield looked like the Packer D backfield in communication skills. Every pass looked like it could be either for Bradley or the player outside of him because it was exactly halfway. As such, no one took it and it was inevitably intercepted. I'd buy the ball skills argument more if those passes actually looked like they were challenged. Mostly it looked like Bradley (or other guy) was not where they were supposed to be.

4. Jermaine Jones had a very nice game and was everywhere.

5. Beckerman, by two accounts, was the only thing other than Jones holding the midfield together.

http://screamer.deadspin.com/the-u-s-stole-three-points-now-the-hard-work-begins-1591901674

http://www.cbssports.com/world-cup/eye-on-world-cup/24590437/klinsmanns-influence-on-us-apparent-in-opening-win-over-ghana

wootah
06-18-2014, 11:22 AM
Great goal by Cahill!

Fritz
06-18-2014, 11:59 AM
Ya, the decision to exclude him in favour of Davis, and bring Greene along to get exposure on the world stage was controversial to start with, and now with Jozy out for the tourney, it could come back to haunt them.

But, nothing succeeds like success, and their 1-0. Story is it was a personality conflict, and Klinsmann couldn't tolerate him.

So is Donovan known for being a butthead, or is it Klinsman, or is it both?

Guiness
06-18-2014, 12:44 PM
OK, after reading a bunch of stuff, from fan blowhards (surprisingly led by Jason LaConfora who at CBS must lead a double life as a soccer hooligan) to Greg Howard at Deadspin (who saw, in the Ghana win, everything that will lead to the fall of the USMNT and Western Civilization) I take away the following things.

I read and was surprised by the LaConfora article as well. It was both harsh, and the style reminded me of the way English beat writers find a dark lining in a silver cloud after their squad wins. It might well explain his particularly shitty American Football writing, he's a futbol lover at heart forced to write about the bastardized sport we play in the colonies. From now on I'm going to read his articles with a Scottish accent and they'll make a lot more sense.

Guiness
06-18-2014, 12:58 PM
So is Donovan known for being a butthead, or is it Klinsman, or is it both?

Pretty hard to tell. There were reports of Donavan not being in great shape, and might not be able to play a full match at WC level. He opted out of some of the qualifying matches. He apparently hasn't played well recently in the MLS.

Having said that, there are obviously situation where he could've been useful to the team, so from a soccer perspective, it would've made sense to include him as one of the 23. Klinsman might've wanted to make this 'his' team, and Donavan stood in the way of that? Really not sure.

Here's a discussion of it
http://www.cbssports.com/world-cup/eye-on-world-cup/24570631/landon-donovan-us-soccer-star-is-not-going-to-brazil-an-faq

Guiness
06-18-2014, 12:59 PM
Great goal by Cahill!

Followed by proof that his first love is Aussie Rules! Yellow card means he's out for their final group play match.

edit: RVP got one as well, he's out for the final group match. Neither of these mean much, Australia is mathematically eliminated, and the Dutch are pretty much guaranteed to get through, baring a wack-a-doodle finish.

Guiness
06-18-2014, 01:59 PM
Reports coming out that Ronaldo's doctor is advising him not to play!!!

That would be an incredible happening, and would severely tilt the odds in the US's favour.

Fritz
06-18-2014, 03:01 PM
Good article on Donovan/Klinsman. Thanks.

pbmax
06-18-2014, 03:59 PM
The Associated Press ‏@AP 2m
BREAKING: Defending champion Spain eliminated from #WorldCup contention after losing to Chile 2-0. #Brazil2014

Joemailman
06-18-2014, 04:34 PM
Great goal by Cahill!

http://a.abcnews.go.com/images/Sports/HT_world_cup_australia_netherland_cahill_goal_jef_ 140618.gif

wootah
06-19-2014, 07:38 AM
Reports coming out that Ronaldo's doctor is advising him not to play!!!

That would be an incredible happening, and would severely tilt the odds in the US's favour.

Reports here are claiming he might be out for the rest of the WC. Doesn't surprise me: Real did everything they could to get him prepared for the CL final, but it was clear he wasn't fit and it showed. Same for the game against Germany...

Pepe suspended and CR7 & Coentrão injured. That's a serious downgrade for the Portugese team.

Guiness
06-19-2014, 08:25 AM
Reports here are claiming he might be out for the rest of the WC. Doesn't surprise me: Real did everything they could to get him prepared for the CL final, but it was clear he wasn't fit and it showed. Same for the game against Germany...

Pepe suspended and CR7 & Coentrão injured. That's a serious downgrade for the Portugese team.

It certainly is. Soccer is as much a team effort and system matters a lot, but I don't think the 'next man up' applies as much as it does for football.

woodbuck27
06-19-2014, 08:42 AM
http://a.abcnews.go.com/images/Sports/HT_world_cup_australia_netherland_cahill_goal_jef_ 140618.gif

The sad state the goalie is in for this spectacular volley goal.

There are more goals of that spectacular variety in this World Cup than we might normally expect.

ie ... In this one contest between the Netherlands Vs Australia:

http://metro.co.uk/2014/06/18/is-this-amazing-tim-cahill-volley-the-best-goal-of-the-world-cup-so-far-4766987/

There have been plenty of brilliant goals during the World Cup so far, but Holland and Australia decided to play a game ‘who can score the best goal’ in their clash.

woodbuck27
06-19-2014, 08:46 AM
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/06/world-cup-time-tv-schedule-live-stream-espn-uruguay-England

World Cup TV schedule: What and how to watch Thursday, June 19

By: Nate Scott 3 hours ago

Thursday, June 19

Noon ET

Colombia (1-0-0) vs. Ivory Coast (1-0-0)
ESPN, Univision, WatchESPN (app)
Stakes: Group C supremacy!

3 p.m. ET

Uruguay (0-1-0) vs. England (0-1-0)
Stakes: A loss spells doom for either of these Group D teams.

6 p.m. ET

Japan (0-1-0) vs. Greece (0-1-0)
Stakes: Avoid the Group C cellar.

At work with no TV? No problem. Stream all the games at WatchESPN.

hoosier
06-19-2014, 03:26 PM
Pereira (Uruguay) just got knocked cold, and after they revived him he bounced right back into the game. Does FIFA have no concussion protocol?

The bad thing about being an occasional soccer fan is you forget how annoying the flop-and-feign-injury culture can get. It's like watching a soap opera inside a sporting event.

HarveyWallbangers
06-19-2014, 03:48 PM
The Colombia game was ridiculous. Two players fake an injury for two minutes and then get let back in the game within seconds. Both looked phony. I was so rooting for Ivory Coast. At least, the Uruguay player looked like he might be legitimately concussed.

hoosier
06-19-2014, 03:55 PM
I thought it looked real, was shocked that he even had the option of returning.

Freak Out
06-19-2014, 05:31 PM
Looked like he got hammered.....Uruguay is good. I hate the English so it was good to see them lose. :)

wootah
06-20-2014, 01:16 AM
At least, the Uruguay player looked like he might be legitimately concussed.

"Might be"?

http://usatthebiglead.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/c3a1lvaro-pereira-knee-to-the-head-against-england.gif

He's lucky he didn't have to go to the hospital.

I thought it looked real, was shocked that he even had the option of returning.

I couldn't believe this either. The doctor signaled for the substitution but the player wouldn't want to hear any of that.

http://38.media.tumblr.com/e9c913ee2127452d9b163164c176258e/tumblr_n7fnie7kp51rog9m7o1_400.gif

Absolutely crazy.

wootah
06-20-2014, 01:20 AM
The side effect of all this flopping was that the English fans were actually booing the guy when he was laying unconscious on the field...

woodbuck27
06-20-2014, 06:48 AM
The side effect of all this flopping was that the English fans were actually booing the guy when he was laying unconscious on the field...

That was a solid blow to the RHS jaw of Uruguay's midfielder Alvaro Pereira. Many men suffering such would have had their bell rung.

https://s2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/kUcfvziCKroM_6o8gMwFaA--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Y2g9OTE5O2NyPTE7Y3c9MTM4ODtkeD0wO2 R5PTA7Zmk9dWxjcm9wO2g9NDE4O3E9ODU7dz02MzA-/http://media.zenfs.com/en_US/Sports/AP_Soccer/201406191527556768003-p5.jpg

The English fans boo'd that !?

Check this out:

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/soccer-dirty-tackle/alvaro-pereira-knocked-unconscious-in-uruguay-england-match--stays-in-against-medical-advice-210847553.html

It's alarming to me that Uruguay's Midfielder Alvaro Pereira was allowed to remain in the match.

Why the English fans boo'd him while he was on the ground is more alarming. That was plainly stupid to me. Did that have anything to do with the final outcome of the match....or England losing!? Karma is a bitch !

Bossman641
06-20-2014, 07:02 AM
All the flopping really bothers me. Nothing is more ridiculous than seeing multiple players down at the same time all rolling around like they just took a gunshot. Couldn't they put rules in place to curb this? If there's a stoppage of play for your injury, you are forced to sit out the next XX number of minutes. Is there anything like that in place in any of the Euro leagues?

wootah
06-20-2014, 07:32 AM
Why the English fans boo'd him while he was on the ground is more alarming.

It's because in 99,5% of the cases there is no problem and they have the right to boo.

All the flopping really bothers me. Nothing is more ridiculous than seeing multiple players down at the same time all rolling around like they just took a gunshot. Couldn't they put rules in place to curb this? If there's a stoppage of play for your injury, you are forced to sit out the next XX number of minutes. Is there anything like that in place in any of the Euro leagues?

Nope, so the same thing happens. A team that's winning tries to win time by faking injuries, slowly getting substitutions in, slowly getting the ball for a free kick or a throw-in... I'm a youth coach and in the upcoming season they are going to install the rule that if you have to go off for injury treatment, you cannot enter the game anymore for that half and you have to be substituted (we have unlimited substitutions). I'm not sure if this would solve the issue since now slightly injured players will do everything they can not to come off, which cannot be the goal either.

hoosier
06-20-2014, 07:33 AM
"Might be"?

http://usatthebiglead.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/c3a1lvaro-pereira-knee-to-the-head-against-england.gif

He's lucky he didn't have to go to the hospital.

I couldn't believe this either. The doctor signaled for the substitution but the player wouldn't want to hear any of that.

http://38.media.tumblr.com/e9c913ee2127452d9b163164c176258e/tumblr_n7fnie7kp51rog9m7o1_400.gif

Absolutely crazy.

They should have taken his helmet away :-) I guess the concussion debates haven't affected medical protocol in fútbol in the same way as football, and for obvious reasons.

hoosier
06-20-2014, 07:37 AM
A team that's winning tries to win time by faking injuries, slowly getting substitutions in, slowly getting the ball for a free kick or a throw-in... I'm a youth coach and in the upcoming season they are going to install the rule that if you have to go off for injury treatment, you cannot enter the game anymore for that half and you have to be substituted (we have unlimited substitutions). I'm not sure if this would solve the issue since now slightly injured players will do everything they can not to come off, which cannot be the goal either.

What about stopping the clock anytime someone is writing in pain and cannot get up? That would not affect the fake injuries designed to draw foul calls, but at least it takes away the time-killing incentive. Is there some reason why the clock cannot be stopped in a fútbol match?

wootah
06-20-2014, 07:43 AM
What about stopping the clock anytime someone is writing in pain and cannot get up? That would not affect the fake injuries designed to draw foul calls, but at least it takes away the time-killing incentive. Is there some reason why the clock cannot be stopped in a fútbol match?

They did an experiment with that in the 90's and that game still hasn't finished.

In all seriousness, it's just the FIFA's / UEFA's tendency to avoid 'modern' improvements, like the use of video. Sure it should be possible and it even should not be too difficult to install such a thing. Now you have these crazy rules like 30 seconds extra time per substitution & only extra time in case of long delay (serious injury treatment for example). But the real issue lies in the faking and being rewarded for it. If you fake an injury, it takes the tempo out of the game and your goal is succeeded. If you fake to being tackled incorrectly, you might get a penalty. If you fake being hit in the face, the opponent might get a red card.

Punish the fakers based on video images and make them & their team pay for this lack of fair play.

Bossman641
06-20-2014, 07:53 AM
They did an experiment with that in the 90's and that game still hasn't finished.

In all seriousness, it's just the FIFA's / UEFA's tendency to avoid 'modern' improvements, like the use of video. Sure it should be possible and it even should not be too difficult to install such a thing. Now you have these crazy rules like 30 seconds extra time per substitution & only extra time in case of long delay (serious injury treatment for example). But the real issue lies in the faking and being rewarded for it. If you fake an injury, it takes the tempo out of the game and your goal is succeeded. If you fake to being tackled incorrectly, you might get a penalty. If you fake being hit in the face, the opponent might get a red card.

Punish the fakers based on video images and make them & their team pay for this lack of fair play.

Didn't they talk about doing that a few years ago? The NBA was looking into doing the same thing for flopping, and actually instituted fines for it but they are miniscule.

wootah
06-20-2014, 08:26 AM
That would be a first to me...

Freak Out
06-20-2014, 12:56 PM
Costa Rica!

HarveyWallbangers
06-20-2014, 01:08 PM
Costa Rica has been fun to watch. Two deserved victories against top teams. Nothing fluky about them. And when they got the lead, they didn't resort to flopping around for a half and faking injuries. Go Ticos!

woodbuck27
06-20-2014, 02:01 PM
WOW!

Costa Rica defeats Italy 1 nil and that result makes it official. England has been knocked out of the World cup.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27935803

It's neighbors France Vs the Swiss up now. These countries have met some 35 times in the past so this is a great rivalry.

wootah
06-20-2014, 02:45 PM
I wouldn't call it a rivalry, since Switzerland has never been a European powerhouse. They have a talented generation at the moment, similar to Belgium, but they are currently having their behinds kicked by the French. 3-0 at half time and France even missed a penalty.

red
06-20-2014, 07:23 PM
amazing and hilarious that england is already out

the brits truly believe the football universe still revolves around them and they are getting a massive dose of reality

they may have invented the game, but the game has passed them by

HarveyWallbangers
06-20-2014, 11:09 PM
The Brits I've met are pretty realistic, and they realize that England is shite and have been for awhile. They are harder on their team than anybody.

Brandon494
06-20-2014, 11:21 PM
The Brits I've met are pretty realistic, and they realize that England is shite and have been for awhile. They are harder on their team than anybody.

Yea same, they are die hard about their futbol but I don't believe they thought they had much of a chance in this cup.

pbmax
06-20-2014, 11:49 PM
If its an injury in a game involving England I propose dropping the definite article and refer to the place of treatment as "going to hospital".

Cure flopping by saying if you go down and need help getting up, you must leave the pitch for 5 minutes. If you leave by stretcher and want to return, its 20 minutes.

France just toyed with the Swiss today. They were also sneakily physical, almost brutal. Kept shoving the Swiss off the ball. LeBron should make his Decision 2014 about switching sports and scare the hell out of everyone.

Bretsky
06-21-2014, 08:47 AM
Has the USA played the second match yet ? For gosh sakes it seems like forever since they played whoever they played last. Do they need a full week to recover like Football ?

pbmax
06-21-2014, 09:43 AM
Has the USA played the second match yet ? For gosh sakes it seems like forever since they played whoever they played last. Do they need a full week to recover like Football ?

64 games, 32 days, no more than 3 per day. That sounds like TV contracts.

US plays at 6 (not sure which time zone) on Sunday.

red
06-21-2014, 12:42 PM
boy, whats going on with argentina?

iran plays good D, a lot like the US. they can't dribble, can't pass, can't shoot, but they've shut out a damn good argentina offense

the possession in this game is like 90-10 in argentinas favor, and its 0-0 with less the 10 minutes left

wootah
06-21-2014, 12:49 PM
The best ever

red
06-21-2014, 12:50 PM
wow, messi in stoppage time saves them

Brandon494
06-21-2014, 01:43 PM
Iran got screwed on a couple of penalty kicks.

wootah
06-21-2014, 01:56 PM
Iran got screwed on a couple of penalty kicks.

On 1, yes. They had some other chances as well, too bad the match was 2min too long for them.

Ghana - Germany can be a nice game. 2 half brothers on opposing teams (the Boatengs), a team that's good in posession (GER) vs a team that's good on the counterattack (GHA).

red
06-21-2014, 03:13 PM
well well

this game has sure gotten interesting

red
06-21-2014, 03:20 PM
HOLY SHIT

red
06-21-2014, 03:29 PM
klose is fucking awesome

Joemailman
06-21-2014, 03:30 PM
Best match of the World Cup so far.

Brandon494
06-21-2014, 03:43 PM
Best match of the World Cup so far.

+1

Brandon494
06-21-2014, 03:45 PM
OMG both teams are missing some key opportunities

Joemailman
06-21-2014, 03:55 PM
Do they play with concussions in futbol?

Freak Out
06-21-2014, 04:34 PM
Un-fucking believable.......the USA can make it through after two games with a win against Portugal.

red
06-21-2014, 05:00 PM
OMG both teams are missing some key opportunities

i can't believe ghana screwed that break up so bad at the end. 3 on 2 with 2 or 3 more guys rushing forward and they don't even get a shot

red
06-21-2014, 05:02 PM
Un-fucking believable.......the USA can make it through after two games with a win against Portugal.

they could have made it through tomorrow with a win against portugal anyways, unless ghana won

red
06-21-2014, 05:22 PM
what a horrible offsides call to takeaway a great goal by B & H

guy was onside by almost a yard

pbmax
06-21-2014, 06:15 PM
i can't believe ghana screwed that break up so bad at the end. 3 on 2 with 2 or 3 more guys rushing forward and they don't even get a shot

Exactly. They could have been 5 on 3 if they are patient. I think they were gassed. They kept taking obvious shots from 30 yards out.

That match restores some faith that the US can hang with the Germans. Didn't expect Ghana to come back and also didn't expect them to hold on.

I have to figure out the group play tiebreaker because my quick, off the top of my head math said that the US should want Ghana to win narrowly and still have a shot when they play Portugal. But the TV guys said the US should want the Germans to win going away. Either way, tomorrow its win and in.

Brandon494
06-21-2014, 06:18 PM
I'm not a big futbol fan but would it have been better for the USA if Ghana had won?

pbmax
06-21-2014, 06:20 PM
I'm not a big futbol fan but would it have been better for the USA if Ghana had won?

With three games a lot of team end up tied on points, so goal differential is big. But I too thought that if Ghana wins, they would try to knock Portugal off next week and make the US's job easier.

The announcers kept talking like the US only wanted Ghana to be buried in the standings and in goal differential.

The bugger is the US game versus Germany. If both need to win, its tough. If German clinches, its a better bet.

red
06-21-2014, 06:33 PM

i don't think so, but i'm not 100% positive either

if ghana had lost then they would have had 0 points and even if they beat portugal next week, the us would own the head to head tie breaker, so they couldn't have passed us even if we lost out

portugal could still pass us if they beat us tomorrow and then beat ghana next week. if we tie portugal, then ghana can't pass us , but portugal could catch us with a win next week against ghana. however they aren't looking good on the second tie breaker which is goal differential

in my mind, it would have been better if germany had won today, then they are in and maybe they don't play so hard against us, in a game we may or may not have to win depending on tomorrows game

red
06-21-2014, 06:35 PM
its simple really, the goal should be to eliminate the other teams. if ghana had lost today, they would have been eliminated (or as close to eliminated as a team can be, then if the US wins tomorrow, portugal is eliminated

germany and the US go through

now that ghana has a point, and can win (not will, but can) next week, they can end up with 4 points. which means the US has to get at least a tie in one of their next 2 games, which might not happen (might, not will)

germany is going through, to me its better if the other teams start getting eliminated

red
06-21-2014, 06:50 PM
keeper for nigeria earned his bonus money in the last few minutes today

pbmax
06-21-2014, 06:56 PM
Nate Silver ‏@NateSilver538 33m
The Germany-Ghana draw increased the US chance of finishing 1st in the group -- but reduced its chances to advance. http://53eig.ht/T0k2uD

I guess this sums it up. Ghana is still in it but the US could win outright. Since they aren't likely to beat Germany (though after today that is probably closer than I thought), Ghana being out might help more.

Though I can't help but think that Ghana going balls out versus Portugal might help the US, the fact is that Portugal might be out of it in that 3rd game anyway.

pbmax
06-21-2014, 06:58 PM
from above

The reason is a bit technical. One of the likelier outcomes for the Americans is to finish with four points in the group by drawing Portugal or Germany but losing the other match. If Ghana had lost to Germany, it would have finished with three points at best. Now, however, Ghana could also finish with four points if its beats Portugal, potentially denying the U.S. advancement if the teams finish in a tie for second.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/germanys-draw-didnt-help-the-u-s/

red
06-21-2014, 07:37 PM
told you so

Freak Out
06-21-2014, 07:59 PM
Thats why I wanted a a German win.....the point I was making earlier Red is that its pretty unbelievable that the US would be in this position at all.

red
06-21-2014, 08:05 PM
Thats why I wanted a a German win.....the point I was making earlier Red is that its pretty unbelievable that the US would be in this position at all.

yeah, winning the group of death would be very impressive. but i just care around getting out of the group stage. thats all that really matters right now

HarveyWallbangers
06-21-2014, 09:20 PM
Definitely wanted Germany to win. If we tie Portugal and lose to Germany and Ghana beats Portugal, there's a good chance that we are out. Before this started, we all thought we'd need to scratch out 4 points and hope we win the tiebreaker to advance. If we tie Portugal, we'll need Portugal to get a result against Ghana. If we lose to Portugal, we are likely out because we'd need to beat Germany. On the plus side if we beat Portugal and somehow scratch out a tie against Germany, we'd likely get a beatable opponent in the Round of 16 (probably Russia or South Korea, or perhaps Algeria).

woodbuck27
06-22-2014, 07:54 AM
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/worldcup/usa-v-portugal-world-cup-2014-match-preview-9554020.html

USA vs Portugal World Cup 2014 match preview: Ronaldo's full fitness still in doubt ahead of key Group G clash

[B]
**** Checking my Satellite TV Schedule.... I have the game on at 6:00 PM EST.

The Schedule today ... Sunday 22 June, 2014:

Group H - Belgium Vs Russia @ 13:00 PM EST

Group H - Korea Vs Algeria @ 16:00 PM EST

Group G - USA Vs Portugal @ 16:00 EST

Note:

** Injury concerns affecting the status of Portugal.

** The USA will have to do without Sunderland striker Jozy Altidore who suffered a hamstring strain last week.

PAST THREE MEETINGS:

USA 3 (O’Brien, Costa og, McBride) Portugal 2 (Beto, Agoos og), World Cup, June 2002

USA 1 (Wegerle) Portugal 0, [SIZE=1][COLOR="#B22222"]International Friendly, June 1992

Portugal 1 (Domingos) USA 0, International Friendly, December 1990

Joemailman
06-22-2014, 11:45 AM
Didn't see Portugal's first game. Any good dives by Ronaldo?

red
06-22-2014, 12:45 PM
yeah, that eden hazard isn't too bad

Freak Out
06-22-2014, 12:56 PM
Yes Belgium!

wootah
06-22-2014, 12:57 PM
Here I am always telling we have a good team and they played like crap for consecutive games. Again a game at a too slow pace :/

Qualification is in the pocket, so I won't complain too much...

wootah
06-22-2014, 01:29 PM
BTW, if our coach has a brain, he'll let Januzaj play against Korea. Don't miss out on that show, guys!

pbmax
06-22-2014, 02:10 PM
Zonal Markings has found a German weakness: http://www.zonalmarking.net/2014/06/22/world-cup-2014-group-stage-day-10/

unfortunately, its on their Defense, which means the US would need to have possession to take advantage of it.

La Canfora has taken a deep breath and done an actual report about how Jurgen might adjust to being Altidore-less. Clint Mathis wants Wondo to go in and wants JK to keep a two striker attack. Eddie Johnson wants Dempsey as lone striker with the extra guy used for midfield defense.
http://www.cbssports.com/world-cup/eye-on-world-cup/24593992/what-should-klinsmann-do-without-altidore-we-ask-two-former-top-strikers

red
06-22-2014, 03:37 PM
the most radical thing to do would be to play julian green. he's young, he has no experience playing at the highest levels

but the kids got lots of talent, and can score at the lower levels

he's come up through the youth system of one of the best teams in the world (Bayern Munich), and scored 15 times in 23 games on their reserve team this year

like i said, the world cup might be too much for him right now, or he could be a spark we need on offense

and to me, he could very well be the future of the US squad

pbmax
06-22-2014, 03:56 PM
The US couldn't do squat with their passing versus Ghana. I am curious if they try again with that diamond and move everything through the middle or if they push out wider.

red
06-22-2014, 03:56 PM
awesome story about ghanas sulley muntari

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/soccer-dirty-tackle/ghana-s-sulley-muntari-hands-out-money-to-disadvantaged-locals-near-team-practice-area-152101414.html

long story short, he went off wondering around in the very poor area around where the team was staying, and he was handing out $160 to everyone he encountered

he also put his arm around a neo nazi that ran onto the pitch during the game yesterday and walked him off the field after the cops and officials failed to do anything about the guy

guys gained my respect

pbmax
06-22-2014, 04:02 PM
Gonna be a slugfest:

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 13m
Klinsi going with the 5-man midfield I was hoping for in my @CBSSports column yesterday. Dempsey alone up top; Zusi in w/Jozy out. I like

red
06-22-2014, 04:02 PM
The US couldn't do squat with their passing versus Ghana. I am curious if they try again with that diamond and move everything through the middle or if they push out wider.

my most accounts the big problem was bradly, and a lot of experts don't expect him to play that bad again.

it was the worst i've seen him play, but its not like he's some super stud to begin with

lets hope the build up is either better, or portugal is ready to lay down and die, because we got lucky to win last game, it might take more then luck to beat a fired up portugal side

pbmax
06-22-2014, 04:03 PM
U.S. Soccer ‏@ussoccer 20m
#USMNT lineup: Howard; Johnson, Cameron, Besler, Beasley; Beckerman, Jones; Bedoya, Bradley, Zusi; Dempsey (c)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BqwxFFMIUAAxbZ-.png:large

red
06-22-2014, 04:03 PM
Gonna be a slugfest:

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 13m
Klinsi going with the 5-man midfield I was hoping for in my @CBSSports column yesterday. Dempsey alone up top; Zusi in w/Jozy out. I like

zusi looked good last time when he came one, he was actually able to push the ball forward. nice move.

dempsey is really our only guy that can score with some regularity, its a no brainer that he's up front

pbmax
06-22-2014, 04:08 PM
zusi looked good last time when he came one, he was actually able to push the ball forward. nice move.

dempsey is really our only guy that can score with some regularity, its a no brainer that he's up front

I was kinda hoping that Beasley would get the boot. Other than Bradley, most of the condemnation was for his defensive play.

red
06-22-2014, 04:12 PM
I was kinda hoping that Beasley would get the boot. Other than Bradley, most of the condemnation was for his defensive play.

yeah, there wasn't a lot of love for those two on talk radio this week

pbmax
06-22-2014, 04:12 PM
Had to dig for the Portugal lineup in Tweet format.

beIN SPORTS ✔ @beINSPORTSUSA
Follow
Portugal XI v USA: Beto, Bruno Alves, Veloso, Ronaldo, Moutinho, Costa, Meireles, Nani, A. Almeida, Pereira, Postiga

Has a preview of the lineup Klinsman has selected: http://www.mlssoccer.com/worldcup/2014/news/article/2014/06/22/world-cup-usavpor-lineups-are-and-its-4-5-1-jurgen-klinsmann-rolls-dice-armc

pbmax
06-22-2014, 04:15 PM
On plan for a five person midfield with one striker, the guy writing the preview above said despite some predicting it, he thought it unlikely:

The reason why? Because the US were so lackluster and out of ideas the last time Clint Dempsey played as the main front-runner, in last autumn's dour 3-1 loss at Costa Rica. The US had a bear of a time creating space – let alone opportunities – and couldn't wrest control of the game away from the hosts on that day.

A few days later, against Mexico, Klinsmann returned to a two-forward lineup, and the US dominated El Tri thanks largely to the stellar play of Eddie Johnson in the target striker's role. The Yanks have played with two forwards ever since.

red
06-22-2014, 04:17 PM
On plan for a five person midfield with one striker, the guy writing the preview above said despite some predicting it, he thought it unlikely:

yeah, and i don't like the idea of just dropping back and playing prevent d the whole game like last time

ronaldo taking free kicks at you all game is not what you want, imo

pbmax
06-22-2014, 04:17 PM
Bedoya and Besler are both back despite leg problems last week. Its 88 degree in Manaus with a 62% humidity, feels like 95.

Gotta admit, sounds like a dry winter for the middle of the Amazon.

pbmax
06-22-2014, 04:18 PM
yeah, and i don't like the idea of just dropping back and playing prevent d the whole game like last time

ronaldo taking free kicks at you all game is not what you want, imo

I wonder if this is classic play it safe when it actually renders you objectively worse because you don't have midfielders who can control the ball. Might be better with another player who can take the pressure off and attack.

Brandon494
06-22-2014, 05:05 PM
What a fucking idiot...

pbmax
06-22-2014, 05:08 PM
The attempt to clear was a better pass than the pass.

red
06-22-2014, 05:10 PM
though to win games playing like this

red
06-22-2014, 05:17 PM
this is looking better

pbmax
06-22-2014, 05:20 PM
OK, US guy elbowed Birdman in the chops but why? Was he refusing to get up off of him?

red
06-22-2014, 05:26 PM
this is like an all out dog fight between two ugly retarded dogs

Brandon494
06-22-2014, 05:27 PM
Dempsey having a hell of a game so far.

red
06-22-2014, 05:29 PM
bradley playing much better too

red
06-22-2014, 05:29 PM
Dempsey having a hell of a game so far.

be nice if he could just get a couple of those in, but he's knocking right on the door

red
06-22-2014, 05:32 PM
we're getting lots of good shots, those have to start going in at some point

pbmax
06-22-2014, 05:41 PM
we're getting lots of good shots, those have to start going in at some point

Their keeper is new to the World Cup apparently. No idea if he is any good. Seems ok so far.

Brandon494
06-22-2014, 05:45 PM
Howard is the fucking man! whew that was close.

red
06-22-2014, 05:54 PM
Howard is the fucking man! whew that was close.

yeah, that was a hell of a sequence from him

pbmax
06-22-2014, 05:59 PM
Too many uncontested shots inside the bigger of the two boxes. Can't win on the goalie like in hockey.

red
06-22-2014, 06:13 PM
OMG, get it in

Teamcheez1
06-22-2014, 06:14 PM
Bradley blew the shot. Wide open goal and he kicks it right into the defender.

red
06-22-2014, 06:21 PM
WOW, finally

denverYooper
06-22-2014, 06:26 PM
These univision guys are excitable.

red
06-22-2014, 06:28 PM
These univision guys are excitable.

friend of mine is watching it on univision and said the same thing

red
06-22-2014, 06:30 PM
a tie puts us in pretty good shape

we would have the head to head vs ghana, and probably the goal diff against portugal, unless we get killed by germany

Brandon494
06-22-2014, 06:39 PM
USA USA USA!!!!

red
06-22-2014, 06:40 PM
WOW, there we go

red
06-22-2014, 06:41 PM
now hold on boys, there gonna be coming

red
06-22-2014, 06:49 PM
another 5 minutes of extra time, unreal

Brandon494
06-22-2014, 06:53 PM
Fucking knew it....

red
06-22-2014, 06:53 PM
FUCK

Brandon494
06-22-2014, 06:54 PM
Wow unfucking real.....

Brandon494
06-22-2014, 06:54 PM
Fucking sick...

red
06-22-2014, 06:55 PM
fucking 5 minutes of extra time was absolute horse shit for the second game in a row

Striker
06-22-2014, 06:55 PM
Wow.

red
06-22-2014, 06:56 PM
but, lets look at it.

we got 4 points

ghana has 1, portugal has 1. we own the tie breaker against ghana, and the second tie breaker by 5 goals over portugal

Brandon494
06-22-2014, 06:57 PM
Trust me that goal will cost us from advancing...unfucking real! I've gone a month without smoking but I gotta call up my dealer for a joint after that BS!

Teamcheez1
06-22-2014, 06:57 PM
We got "Favred" by Geoff Cameron.

He caused the first goal by Portugal. You should also note he was the defender on the last goal scored

pbmax
06-22-2014, 06:59 PM
another bad turnover and not enough people back AND they let someone get behind them. Almost same as first goal. Enough guys in the box but they a guy get free.

But other than the surprise game winners, that second goal was the nicest touch around they goal they have shown for a long time. Two nice passes plus a Bradley shot deflected.

Was Klinsman gesturing for the team to get back or pressure forward? Because the 3 players pressuring the ball in the Portugal zone would have looked nice coming back instead. Klinsman was waving, I thought, to get players back.

Brandon494
06-22-2014, 07:00 PM
We got "Favred" by Geoff Cameron.

He caused the first goal by Portugal. You should also note he was the defender on the last goal scored

Yup he cost us this game

red
06-22-2014, 07:00 PM
another bad turnover and not enough people back AND they let someone get behind them. Almost same as first goal. Enough guys in the box but they a guy get free.

But other than the surprise game winners, that second goal was the nicest touch around they goal they have shown for a long time. Two nice passes plus a Bradley shot deflected.

that bradley goal should have been a gimmie, he fucked that up bigtime. you gotta bury that shit

Brandon494
06-22-2014, 07:02 PM
that bradley goal should have been a gimmie, he fucked that up bigtime. you gotta bury that shit

True but that shouldn't have even mattered, we fucked up big time at the end.

pbmax
06-22-2014, 07:03 PM

Yeah, he seemed like he couldn't (or didn't) hit it cleanly. So maybe he tried to be sure to strike it for the sure score.

But thought the announcer said it had pace, it was kind of a softball.

pbmax
06-22-2014, 07:06 PM
Was the guy who scored a sub? Because Cameron looked like he was out of gas.

Teamcheez1
06-22-2014, 07:09 PM
Yeah, he seemed like he couldn't (or didn't) hit it cleanly. So maybe he tried to be sure to strike it for the sure score.

But thought the announcer said it had pace, it was kind of a softball.

Bradley also gave the ball away in the last 30 seconds.

pbmax
06-22-2014, 07:14 PM
Yeah he did. I think they were all blown. Playing catchup for more than 50 minutes probably was too much in that weather.

Well, fútbol got want it wanted, I have international levels of frustration right now.

woodbuck27
06-22-2014, 07:22 PM

Michael Bradley will wake up tonight thinking about not getting that one through. He won't get back to sleep easily.

It should have been 3-1 USA (on what appeared as a sure Bradley goal); all Portugal balloons busted.

On the whole the game was great to watch.

It was almost like in extra time I felt that Portugal would somehow tie it up. The Ronaldo cross for the Varela header looked like it was in slow motion. A terrific cross.

Shit ! That extra time just went on and on and ..... on.

The good news the USA point should prove big and they will go through with 4 points.

WTH...... The USA team needs to think ... defeat Germany.

mission
06-22-2014, 07:30 PM
Bradley cost us the game with the missed goal and giving up the ball with NO ONE AROUND HIM with 30 seconds left. He's a disgrace right now.

Brandon494
06-22-2014, 07:43 PM
Bradley cost us the game with the missed goal and giving up the ball with NO ONE AROUND HIM with 30 seconds left. He's a disgrace right now.

Unreal, all he had to do with keep the ball out of bounds and let the defense set back up. I'm not even a soccer fan but I'm still upset from this tie.

We have still yet to win a game after allowing a team to score first...

Joemailman
06-22-2014, 08:31 PM
but, lets look at it.

we got 4 points

ghana has 1, portugal has 1. we own the tie breaker against ghana, and the second tie breaker by 5 goals over portugal

Isn't goal differential the tie-breaker? If Ghana wins and the U.S. loses, wouldn't Ghana have the tiebreaker?

red
06-22-2014, 08:48 PM
Isn't goal differential the tie-breaker? If Ghana wins and the U.S. loses, wouldn't Ghana have the tiebreaker?http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2014/6/22/5832970/world-cup-tiebreaker-rules-usa-germany-group-g

yup, you're right, thats stupid. head to head should be the first tiebreaker, not the 3rd or 4th

Joemailman
06-22-2014, 09:02 PM
U.S. will be playing Germany at the same time Portugal will be playing Ghana. At least Portugal will have something to play for. They'll go in knowing they have to win, and hope Germany clobbers the U.S.

My sense watching this World Cup is that maybe the talent level is more even than people thought. I didn't get the sense today that the U.S. was going against a vastly more talented team, and we've seen Ghana tie Germany. I wouldn't be shocked if the U.S. beat Germany, but before this started, I don't think many people thought that could happen.

pbmax
06-22-2014, 09:14 PM
If Ghana win, they'd progress if they won by a couple of goals or more, or won by a single goal and the U.S. lost by more than one goal. If the United States and Ghana ended up level on goal differential, it would come down to who scored the most goals overall. If they were deadlocked still, the United States would progress as they've already beaten Ghana in the group stages.

US losing by one and Ghana winning by one takes you to second tie breaker which is overall number of goals. US has a one goal advantage now, but in this Ghana-win/US-lose scenario, that would at best be a tie.

I think head to head is then the third tiebreaker.

Joemailman
06-22-2014, 09:32 PM
US losing by one and Ghana winning by one takes you to second tie breaker which is overall number of goals. US has a one goal advantage now, but in this Ghana-win/US-lose scenario, that would at best be a tie.

I think head to head is then the third tiebreaker.

Not if the U.S. plays in a higher scoring game, or am I missing something? If Ghana wins 1-0 and the U.S. loses 2-1, doesn't the U.S. win the tie on goals scored?

red
06-22-2014, 09:38 PM
U.S. will be playing Germany at the same time Portugal will be playing Ghana. At least Portugal will have something to play for. They'll go in knowing they have to win, and hope Germany clobbers the U.S.

My sense watching this World Cup is that maybe the talent level is more even than people thought. I didn't get the sense today that the U.S. was going against a vastly more talented team, and we've seen Ghana tie Germany. I wouldn't be shocked if the U.S. beat Germany, but before this started, I don't think many people thought that could happen.

the attack we saw gives me hope against germany, our team looked much better today then they did on monday

i no longer feel that the game against germany is a sure fire loss

Joemailman
06-22-2014, 10:59 PM
Don't they follow Futbol at Samsung?

https://twitter.com/SamsungMobileME/status/480703219887525888/photo/1

Brandon494
06-22-2014, 11:04 PM
Don't they follow Futbol at Samsung?

https://twitter.com/SamsungMobileME/status/480703219887525888/photo/1

The ad will get more attention know though, actually a genius marketing strategy if that is what they were trying to do.

HarveyWallbangers
06-23-2014, 12:24 AM

Bradley had a very good game overall. He was an absolute beast for the first 60 minutes. The turnover hurt, but if Cameron covers the guy at the back end nobody notices. Beasley had a chance to wear off more clock a minute before that and gave the ball away too. The missed goal was mostly bad luck. Normally, that's a gimme, but the guy got his knee on the ball.

HarveyWallbangers
06-23-2014, 12:31 AM
Not if the U.S. plays in a higher scoring game, or am I missing something? If Ghana wins 1-0 and the U.S. loses 2-1, doesn't the U.S. win the tie on goals scored?

Correct. I have a bad feeling that Portugal is going to lay an egg. You could see that the USA was a much fitter team. Ghana is another fit team with an extra days rest. Portugal has to believe that they don't have a great chance--even if they win. They'd have to make up 5 goals on us.

Scenarios

USA wins. USA wins the group
USA draws. USA finishes second.
USA loses and Ghana-Portugal draw. USA finishes second.
USA loses and Portugal wins. USA will very likely advance. We could lose by 2 and Portugal could win by 2, and we'd still advance.
USA loses and Ghana wins. There's a good chance that the USA does not advance. I think it's likely that we either lose by 2+ goals or if Ghana wins, they'll win by 2+ goals. If Portugal is down one in the second half with little chance to advance, I think they'll collapse.

We'll likely need to at least stay close to Germany and hope that Portugal is even or up a goal in the second half.

HarveyWallbangers
06-23-2014, 01:32 AM
I love the comments in English newspapers. A bunch of Americans cursing Bradley with Brits saying that they don't know football very well. That he had a good game. I'm not saying he shouldn't have done better, but the guy played a good game up to that point. Now, the Ghana game was a different story. Probably the worst game I've seen him play for the USMNT. Here's what the Guardian had to say:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/worldcup2014/article-2665349/USA-2-2-Portugal-match-report-Cristiano-Ronaldo-sets-injury-time-equaliser-Eder-Paulo-Bentos-World-Cup-hopes-alive.html

But after USA midfielder Michael Bradley — who had played brilliantly — lost possession in the centre circle in the 95th minute, Ronaldo broke down the right to deliver a sensational cross that allowed substitute Silvestre Varela to head powerfully past Tim Howard at the far post.

To blame the loss on Bradley is a bit much. Beasley had the chance to wear off clock, but didn't. Beasley had a chance to close down on Ronaldo (tough task, I know, but the USA had done a good job most of the night on him), but didn't. Cameron (the real goat of the game) had a chance to mark Varela, but didn't.

Here's what Bradley had to say about it.

"I put my heart and soul into every game every time I step on the field," he said. "It's a cruel game sometimes, you know? So again, I'm proud of that and proud of what I'm about every time I play and there's certainly no regrets in my book. The ball popped up and I was able to make a few quick steps and get there. It was tight," Bradley explained. "Unfortunately, [I] wasn't able to make a good enough play and keep it for us or get a foul and obviously at that point then the ball turns over and it's up to us to deal with the situation. Certainly the way it ends you rack your mind thinking can you do this better? Can you do that better?"

Classic quote:

America needs a scape goat at this time. Thus, they have found poor Mr. Bradley.

wootah
06-23-2014, 02:31 AM
awesome story about ghanas sulley muntari

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/soccer-dirty-tackle/ghana-s-sulley-muntari-hands-out-money-to-disadvantaged-locals-near-team-practice-area-152101414.html

long story short, he went off wondering around in the very poor area around where the team was staying, and he was handing out $160 to everyone he encountered

he also put his arm around a neo nazi that ran onto the pitch during the game yesterday and walked him off the field after the cops and officials failed to do anything about the guy

guys gained my respect

Plus he played with almost the entire 2nd half against Germany with his pants on his ankles. Respect!

pbmax
06-23-2014, 08:18 AM

You are correct. I projected from just one possible score. It would be in the interest of the US to score as many goals as possible in this game, as strange as that strategy might sound.

pbmax
06-23-2014, 08:23 AM
Correct. I have a bad feeling that Portugal is going to lay an egg. You could see that the USA was a much fitter team.

Maybe. But at the end, the US was completely blown. Chasing down from behind really wore them out. On the last play that Portugal sub was the fastest guy in the box and Ronaldo still had his legs (probably because he doesn't play defense).

You could see how tired they were by how much better Wondo and the other forward sub (guy on the American right) were with possession. If there was fault in the end game strategy, not getting the ball to those two more would be one.

pbmax
06-23-2014, 08:31 AM
End of game errors:

Beasley - need better possession
- too much room to Ronaldo

Cameron - blown D on first goal
- blown D on second goal

Bradley - need better possession at end of game
- need to score from point blank
- need one less turnover at end of game

There is never a single reason why you lose a complicated game like soccer when evenly matched, but Bradley claimed his fair share. He was better than in the Ghana match, but still had way too many turnovers in midfield.

There is also this: on the go ahead score, Zusi and some other dude had fantastic passes into the box (the second one was inches away from a Portugal knee) that put the ball on Dempsey. Bradley's contribution was to shoot and get his shot deflected before it even got to the goal. That turned into a brilliant pass to the left, but through no plan of his own.

Joemailman
06-23-2014, 09:06 AM
Hard for me to blame Beasley for giving Ronaldo room. I would think his #1 responsibility in that situation is too make sure Ronaldo doesn't get past him with the ball.

Guiness
06-23-2014, 09:55 AM
Correct. I have a bad feeling that Portugal is going to lay an egg. You could see that the USA was a much fitter team. Ghana is another fit team with an extra days rest. Portugal has to believe that they don't have a great chance--even if they win. They'd have to make up 5 goals on us.

Scenarios

USA wins. USA wins the group
USA draws. USA finishes second.
USA loses and Ghana-Portugal draw. USA finishes second.
USA loses and Portugal wins. USA will very likely advance. We could lose by 2 and Portugal could win by 2, and we'd still advance.
USA loses and Ghana wins. There's a good chance that the USA does not advance. I think it's likely that we either lose by 2+ goals or if Ghana wins, they'll win by 2+ goals. If Portugal is down one in the second half with little chance to advance, I think they'll collapse.

We'll likely need to at least stay close to Germany and hope that Portugal is even or up a goal in the second half.

That about sums it up. For Ghana to advance they have to win (with the US losing) while swinging the goal differential by more than 2. Ghana could also advance if they were involved in a high scoring game, say winning 4-3 while the US lost 1-0. Unfortunately for The Stars and Stripes (is that really their nickname??) those sort of scores are quite possible. Scoring against Germany will be tough, and with Portugal, anything is possible.

Guiness
06-23-2014, 10:02 AM
Just saw some replays of the Jermaine Jones goal. HOW did that get through cleanly? Incredible.

pbmax
06-23-2014, 10:09 AM
From CBS:

United States (4 points, +1 GD) – vs. Germany

Will win the group with a win over Germany.
Will advance with a draw against Germany.
Will advance with a loss to Germany and a Ghana-Portugal draw.
Will advance with a loss to Germany and a Portugal win in which they don't pass the United States in goal differential.
Will advance with a loss to Germany and a one-goal Ghana win in which they don't score two more goals than the United States.

Joemailman
06-23-2014, 10:16 AM
My concern is that Portugal, figuring they need to win by 3 or more goals, will play a very wide open game, creating big openings for Ghana to counter-attack.

Maybe having Pepe back will help solidify their defense a bit.

pbmax
06-23-2014, 10:22 AM
Player rankings: http://www.cbssports.com/world-cup/eye-on-world-cup/24594847/fifa-world-cup-us-player-ratings-for-us-2-portugal-2

On a scale of 10 I believe:

DM Jermaine Jones, 8 (Man of the Match)
RB Fabian Johnson, 7 (Honorable Mention)
RM (SUB) DeAndre Yedlin, 7
F Clint Dempsey, 7
GK Tim Howard, 6
LB DaMarcus Beasley, 6
CB Matt Besler, 6
DM Kyle Beckerman, 6

LM Graham Zusi, 5
CM Michael Bradley, 5
CB Geoff Cameron, 4

SUBSTITUTES
F Chris Wondolowsk, N/Ai
CB Omar Gonzalez, N/A

pbmax
06-23-2014, 10:22 AM
My concern is that Portugal, figuring they need to win by 3 or more goals, will play a very wide open game, creating big openings for Ghana to counter-attack.

Or he injures a Ghanian player on his next headbutt.

Guiness
06-23-2014, 10:25 AM

And then being behind at the break, folding up shop and mailing in the second half - could definitely see that out of that mercurial team.

Guiness
06-23-2014, 01:30 PM
Today's Mexico-Croatia game could prove interesting.

I think Croatia wins, on paper it does not look like Mexico is capable of scoring, but I will admit I know little about the team. Mexico has not allowed a goal yet, impressively holding Brazil scoreless! Will that change?

If I was putting money on it, I might opt to plunk it down on a 0-0 draw.

Brandon494
06-23-2014, 02:10 PM
Hard for me to blame Beasley for giving Ronaldo room. I would think his #1 responsibility in that situation is too make sure Ronaldo doesn't get past him with the ball.

Exactly, Ronaldo just made an incredible pass.

Brandon494
06-23-2014, 02:11 PM
Just saw some replays of the Jermaine Jones goal. HOW did that get through cleanly? Incredible.

We need to get add more German players! :-)

Freak Out
06-23-2014, 02:12 PM
Well...that was a brutal finish.....but as Dempsey said "we just have to go out and beat Germany". :) You know Klinsmann is already working a deal for a tie without these guys killing each other on Thursday. :)

Brandon494
06-23-2014, 02:13 PM
Player rankings: http://www.cbssports.com/world-cup/eye-on-world-cup/24594847/fifa-world-cup-us-player-ratings-for-us-2-portugal-2

On a scale of 10 I believe:

DM Jermaine Jones, 8 (Man of the Match)
RB Fabian Johnson, 7 (Honorable Mention)
RM (SUB) DeAndre Yedlin, 7
F Clint Dempsey, 7
GK Tim Howard, 6
LB DaMarcus Beasley, 6
CB Matt Besler, 6
DM Kyle Beckerman, 6

LM Graham Zusi, 5
CM Michael Bradley, 5
CB Geoff Cameron, 4

SUBSTITUTES
F Chris Wondolowsk, N/Ai
CB Omar Gonzalez, N/A

Don't know how you give Tim Howard a 6, both goals that were scored were not his fault. He also made a outstanding play after miss judging a shot that almost went in.

Freak Out
06-23-2014, 02:14 PM
Exactly, Ronaldo just made an incredible pass.

That was a great play....we can talk all day about Beasley should have done this, and those guys should have done that....but it comes down to the Portuguese made a better play at the end.

hoosier
06-23-2014, 02:22 PM
Don't know how you give Tim Howard a 6, both goals that were scored were not his fault. He also made a outstanding play after miss judging a shot that almost went in.

Agreed that Howard wasn't bad but his spectacular save wouldn't have been necessary if he hadn't screwed up the first shot that hit the post.

Guiness
06-23-2014, 03:21 PM
Croatia with good pressure early, and Mexico looking expectedly incompetent on offense, but they come alive at the 16' mark with a couple of very good opportunities - one crossbar and a forward who got through but lost his footing and couldn't get the shot away.

Guiness
06-23-2014, 03:33 PM
And there's the first dive of the game, Mexican player rolling around on his back holding his calf after what was little more than incidental contract from the Croatian player. He looks at the referee, sees he's not interested, immediately rolls over onto his hands and knees and gets up.

pbmax
06-23-2014, 03:35 PM
We need to get add more German players! :-)

American Armed Forces personnel are doing all that they can to help.

pbmax
06-23-2014, 03:36 PM

He also misplayed a ball that hit the post and it looked like he pulled up to let it go over the goal line. Was before the Immaculate Redirection.

pbmax
06-23-2014, 03:39 PM
Blaming only Bradley or Cameron for the game is too simple, but so is the counter story that Bradley got himself straightened out. He was better than versus Ghana, but he was still a turnover machine.

Guiness
06-23-2014, 03:47 PM
Anyone else watching this?

Croatia gets a good boost from the referee. He missed a Croatian player repelling a corner kick with his forearm, and on the counter attack gives Mexico (a deserved) yellow card.

Brandon494
06-23-2014, 04:53 PM
He also misplayed a ball that hit the post and it looked like he pulled up to let it go over the goal line. Was before the Immaculate Redirection.

Haha I clearly mentioned that in my post guys.

Brandon494
06-23-2014, 04:54 PM
Anyone else watching this?

Croatia gets a good boost from the referee. He missed a Croatian player repelling a corner kick with his forearm, and on the counter attack gives Mexico (a deserved) yellow card.

Karma always takes care of things...Mexico went on to score 3 straight after that horrible call.

Joemailman
06-23-2014, 05:43 PM
Mexico's coach is pretty happy.

https://v.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/710B21BF491092973035096784896_2e092b3d078.0.4.5171 714452143494382.mp4?versionId=aqB2lAxR5M7wwufj7uSP KezRpFZurTh2

Brandon494
06-23-2014, 05:47 PM
Mexico's coach is pretty happy.

https://v.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/710B21BF491092973035096784896_2e092b3d078.0.4.5171 714452143494382.mp4?versionId=aqB2lAxR5M7wwufj7uSP KezRpFZurTh2

He made me laugh every time they scored goal.

wist43
06-23-2014, 08:01 PM
Well, my hope now is that the US loses by a big enough margin that they're booted...

Sports radio is unlistenable since this commie plot got underway. Can't believe you guys watch that crap... then again, most of you are good socialists, so I guess that explains it ;)

pbmax
06-23-2014, 08:13 PM
Communists are terrible at soccer. Socialists, Tories and the German Centre-Right will run you over.

Bretsky
06-23-2014, 08:24 PM
Well, my hope now is that the US loses by a big enough margin that they're booted...

DITTO

Bretsky
06-23-2014, 08:26 PM
Are we favored over whoever we play next ....Germany I think ?

I hate ESPN since this started

I just want it to end

Joemailman
06-23-2014, 08:47 PM
Are we favored over whoever we play next ....Germany I think ?

I hate ESPN since this started

I just want it to end

Come on. The timing is perfect. There's no football to talk about, so we might as well talk about futbol.

denverYooper
06-24-2014, 08:40 AM
Come on. The timing is perfect. There's no football to talk about, so we might as well talk about futbol.

No kidding.

Besides, ESPN is generally useless no matter what time of year it is.

pbmax
06-24-2014, 09:04 AM
Not favored.

The easy way. First, it could draw or beat Germany. That might not sound so challenging, but the Germans are the third-best team in the world, according to ESPN’s Soccer Power Index. Our forecast gives the U.S. a 14 percent chance of a win and a 22 percent chance of a draw — but a 64 percent chance of a loss. As a bonus, however, the U.S. will advance first from Group G if it beats Germany. That matters because the first-place team from Group G is likely to face Russia or Algeria in the Round of 16 — while the second-place team will face a stronger side in Belgium.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/how-the-portugal-draw-boosts-the-u-s-s-world-cup-advancement-odds/

wootah
06-24-2014, 01:05 PM
Suarez bites again... Nutcase.

hoosier
06-24-2014, 01:18 PM
Not favored.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/how-the-portugal-draw-boosts-the-u-s-s-world-cup-advancement-odds/

If they can't at least play to a draw against Germany then they probably would not have been anything more than a sacrificial lamb at the next level anyway. Unless of course one thinks the confidence/momentum factor is really significant in this kind of thing, in which case fending off that late Portugal comeback might have made them a tougher team to beat down the road. I can see it both ways. The tough ending against a Port team that they outplayed for most of the match might also have some benefit: at least they can't go into the Germany match thinking they're better than they really are.

hoosier
06-24-2014, 01:18 PM

I take it that wasn't the first time :-)

pbmax
06-24-2014, 01:20 PM
Its his third infraction apparently, though I don't know over what time period.

It would seem cynical and not at all related to tackling the ball. You would think it merits a yellow card. Or at least a free kick.

Guiness
06-24-2014, 01:39 PM

That was pretty weird, to be sure.

Of course, he follows up with the delayed falling down when he realizes the defender swung an elbow and he better ham it up. Looking at replays, I'm not even sure it made contact, and if it did it was a glancing blow at best. I'm loving the play in the WC, but HD TV along with animated gifs posted minutes after the event are really showcasing both how ridiculousness and widespread the diving is. I have to think FIFA will move on this, maybe adding a 2nd referee on the field (hockey did it) and/or instituting some sort of replay review, where a player can be suspended after the game, which is the way the NFL handles un-noticed infractions. A second referee seems to be something that would work, big field with lots of room.

https://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/858053577.gif?1403631412

Freak Out
06-24-2014, 01:54 PM
The guy is wack.

Brandon494
06-24-2014, 02:14 PM
He should be ban for sure but I like how the guy drops to the ground from being biten in the shoulder. :lol:

Guiness
06-24-2014, 02:29 PM
He should be ban for sure but I like how the guy drops to the ground from being biten in the shoulder. :lol:

The foot bone's connected to the leg bone.
The leg bone's connected to the knee bone.

Shoulder bone's gotta be in there somewhere!:idea:

pbmax
06-24-2014, 02:44 PM

That makes more sense than the delayed falling own from an elbow brush. When I can see your thought process like its a comic book dialogue bubble, you have failed acting 101.

wootah
06-24-2014, 02:44 PM
It's his third time.
https://i.imgur.com/WFExiLjh.jpg
Take that, Tyson!

http://puu.sh/9IjsP/ece95495e3.jpg

Last time he got a long suspension, so I'm curious what's next. In Futbol, you can get ounished for unnoticed foul play as well. It's only when the ref has judged it, no further investigation can take place. That's not the case here, so I guess that was his last game in some time...

pbmax
06-24-2014, 02:47 PM
I think they separated him from his mother too young for soccer academy.

Guiness
06-24-2014, 02:55 PM
Hadn't seen that close-up Wootah. Looks pretty damning, I wonder why the referee didn't do something? I guess if he didn't see it happen, he didn't see it, and that's the end of the discussion.

A red card to Suarez could've changed the outcome of that game.

Freak Out
06-24-2014, 04:43 PM
They can't call what they don't see. Now if it was witnessed it should have been red carded. It is going to be interesting to see what comes of it.....this shit is blowing up. Is there a three bites rule in FIFA?

Joemailman
06-24-2014, 05:06 PM
Well, they were playing Italy after all. Maybe Suarez thought Chiellini would taste like Fettucini.

Guiness
06-25-2014, 10:41 AM
Best prop bet ever: a Norwegian guy made a bet that Suarez would bite someone, and won about $1000 on a $5 wager! Odds were 174:1, which I'll say were a little long, considering he's done it twice already in a lot less than 350 games!
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bq6c76OCAAA6Tdi.jpg

MadScientist
06-25-2014, 01:01 PM
The guy who was bitten should have just kicked the fucker in the nuts then stomped on his mouth so hard he'd never leave teeth marks on someone again. Who cares if it's a red card, it would be worth it, and it might draw the interest of an American audience.

Freak Out
06-25-2014, 02:04 PM
That last free kick from Messi is un-fucking real.

mraynrand
06-25-2014, 04:35 PM
Fletch: he truly defines grace under pressure!

http://people.ku.edu/~kaf/fletch/fletch_files/image028.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7AUpGXLDdk

red
06-25-2014, 07:22 PM
American Armed Forces personnel are doing all that they can to help.

i heard a funny on the radio yesterday or monday, the guy asked if it was possible for the US to open up some bases in brazil or argentina

i got a good laugh

red
06-25-2014, 07:30 PM
so uraguay is claiming that the suarez bit and the picture of the bite mark were photo shopped and that the whole thing never really happened

they claim its a conspiracy brought on by the european teams and leagues to discredit suarez

they're conveniently forgetting about the hundreds of millions of people that saw it happen live, and leaving out the fact that the jackass has already done it twice before

Joemailman
06-25-2014, 09:06 PM
"God, I hate the Germans" - Dwight D. Eisenhower.

Go USA!!! :flag:

woodbuck27
06-25-2014, 09:32 PM
so uraguay is claiming that the suarez bit and the picture of the bite mark were photo shopped and that the whole thing never really happened

they claim its a conspiracy brought on by the european teams and leagues to discredit suarez

they're conveniently forgetting about the hundreds of millions of people that saw it happen live, and leaving out the fact that the jackass has already done it twice before

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_wmGrz65Nydw/TK0TirSp1WI/AAAAAAAABp4/vbJuJltKjLM/s400/snarling+dog.jpg

Put him down.

Guiness
06-25-2014, 11:51 PM

One of the Uruguay players said it wasn't a bit mark, it was a mole!

I don't care what punishment they levy him, but part of it should be to complete some counseling before they let him back on the field.

wootah
06-26-2014, 09:12 AM
4 months suspension. He has some time for therapy now.

wootah
06-26-2014, 09:14 AM
Ghana shooting themselves in the foot btw: players fighting on training with eachother & with the staff. 2 of their key players are sent home and obviously won't play tonight.

This is a gimme for the USA now.

hoosier
06-26-2014, 09:40 AM

I don' think that was Uruguay, it was Suárez's lawyer.

hoosier
06-26-2014, 09:41 AM
Ghana shooting themselves in the foot btw: players fighting on training with eachother & with the staff. 2 of their key players are sent home and obviously won't play tonight.

Watch them tank now and lose to Port 5-0.

Guiness
06-26-2014, 09:42 AM

Wow, when did all that happen?

Portugal should win the game handily, but the Stars and Stripes have to hope not too handily.

Will advance with a win over Ghana in which they pass the loser of Germany-United States in goal differential.
This is actually bad for the US, a blow-out win, which Portugal is capable of, coupled with a loss to Germany knocks them out.

Guiness
06-26-2014, 09:48 AM
4 months suspension. He has some time for therapy now.

9 international matches and 4 months of soccer related activity - the later applying to his club play, which amounts to another 9-12 matches. I assume he's suspended without pay from the club matches.

Yes, this is a big suspension, but I still think there should be a 'and complete psychological/anger management/reprogramming' sessions.

red
06-26-2014, 10:03 AM
9 international matches and 4 months of soccer related activity - the later applying to his club play, which amounts to another 9-12 matches. I assume he's suspended without pay from the club matches.

Yes, this is a big suspension, but I still think there should be a 'and complete psychological/anger management/reprogramming' sessions.

thats kind of lame if its 4 months starting now. liverpool won't start playing real games for another 2.5 months or so

seems really really tame to me

red
06-26-2014, 10:04 AM
tons of rain, slow pitch, looks like a 0-0 slopfest

Guiness
06-26-2014, 10:09 AM
thats kind of lame if its 4 months starting now. liverpool won't start playing real games for another 2.5 months or so

seems really really tame to me

According to the article, he will miss up to 9 Premier league matches, and can't practice with the team beforehand.

red
06-26-2014, 10:11 AM
According to the article, he will miss up to 9 Premier league matches, and can't practice with the team beforehand.

yeah, thats lame, and at the international level its even lamer

he'll be back in time to help the team qualify for the next WC, and play in it

Freak Out
06-26-2014, 10:42 AM
Flooding bad.....could really slow the game down.

MadScientist
06-26-2014, 10:48 AM
Flooding bad.....could really slow the game down.

Slowing down a soccer game!? Instead of super slo-mo the cameras will have to be put in time-lapse mode.

From some of the images of the town, the US should sub in the water polo team, or at the very least Gus the mule.

red
06-26-2014, 11:05 AM
not liking this start, we're playing with our tails between our legs

not good

red
06-26-2014, 11:09 AM
looks like the ghana game all over again, but without the early dempsy goal

red
06-26-2014, 11:14 AM
PASS THE FUCKING BALL FORWARD

all these fucking back passes

GO FORWARD

Freak Out
06-26-2014, 11:21 AM
Fucking Blitzkrieg!

red
06-26-2014, 11:22 AM
SHIT

almost suzi

Freak Out
06-26-2014, 11:41 AM
Here it is!

Freak Out
06-26-2014, 11:42 AM
Wasted corner....

red
06-26-2014, 11:45 AM
fucking bradley

get him out of there

Freak Out
06-26-2014, 11:48 AM
Turnover machine.....well, Howard and the D played a amazing half all things considered.

red
06-26-2014, 11:53 AM
Turnover machine.....well, Howard and the D played a amazing half all things considered.

thank god for those guys, we could be down 3-0 right now

red
06-26-2014, 11:56 AM
its like the US is playing the game for the tie where both teams advance, but germany didn't get the same memo

Teamcheez1
06-26-2014, 11:57 AM
fucking bradley

get him out of there

At least they were smart enough to bench Geoffrey Cameron.

red
06-26-2014, 12:10 PM
fucking klose

you might want to cover that guy

red
06-26-2014, 12:11 PM
bradley with the lead foot touch

red
06-26-2014, 12:12 PM
FUCKING A

Freak Out
06-26-2014, 12:16 PM
Why was the goal disallowed?

Freak Out
06-26-2014, 12:17 PM
It's up now....my bad.

red
06-26-2014, 12:18 PM
Why was the goal disallowed?

what goal?

Freak Out
06-26-2014, 12:22 PM
I am streaming and the goal didn't post for a bit....si I thought there was a foul or something. My bad.

red
06-26-2014, 12:23 PM
fucking bradley.i don't know if he's completed a single pass yet

red
06-26-2014, 12:32 PM
american players laying all over the field

red
06-26-2014, 12:33 PM
looks like jones broke his nose too

hoosier
06-26-2014, 12:33 PM
Well isn't that a nice image of the US team: knock yourself out!

Freak Out
06-26-2014, 12:51 PM
Germany showing what ball control and passing is.