06-26-2014, 12:55 PM
WOW

hell of an accomplishment getting out of the group of death

red
06-26-2014, 12:56 PM
no shame losing to that team 1-0

Freak Out
06-26-2014, 01:01 PM
Picked up a couple yellow cards though right? Who is it next...Belgium? They have a shot......

Teamcheez1
06-26-2014, 01:05 PM
They earned the right to advance to the knockout round. Nobody expected the US to have a chance, and they proved the doubters wrong.

Go USA!

red
06-26-2014, 01:12 PM
Picked up a couple yellow cards though right? Who is it next...Belgium? They have a shot......

either them or algeria i think, its yet to be decided who wins that group

they are the next games coming up

US can beat both imo

wootah
06-26-2014, 01:26 PM
Congratulations. The bad luck they had with the draw was somewhat compensated by some lucky bounces during the games itself, but neverteless a great result not many expected :bclap: It's impressive how the US always ignores the lack of faith and just goes for it every time. Great mentality.

Algeria is not better than you, but you'll only face them if they win & Belgium loses tonight. I see Belgium still as a couple of classes higher, but you guys are definately not without a chance. I just heard Januzaj will make his debut tonight btw. He was chosen biggest talent in Europe last year, so buckle up, this might be a thrilling ride.

pbmax
06-26-2014, 01:51 PM
Well that wasn't the most encouraging game. I think my original thought about Bradley stands, he is playing terribly. Each other midfielder has done more.

Here's the big question though: Altidore supposedly could play in the knockout round. Do you put him in and go two strikers? Or do you think the relative offensive explosion versus Portugal is reason enough to stay with a single striker?

According to LaCanfora, the single striker was looking to be Klinsman's choice leading up to the WC, but it went into a shell for a few games right before the WC and he went back to his diamond and 2 strikers.

hoosier
06-26-2014, 02:00 PM
The univisión commentators were pretty unanimous in their belief that the US team is better than it has been playing. Or more exactly, that the team isn't really maximizing its talent and that the way to do so would be to attack more. Not clear if that is an option at this point or if that would be a radical remake of the entire scheme.

pbmax
06-26-2014, 02:04 PM
The univisión commentators were pretty unanimous in their belief that the US team is better than it has been playing. Or more exactly, that the team isn't really maximizing its talent and that the way to do so would be to attack more. Not clear if that is an option at this point or if that would be a radical remake of the entire scheme.

I don't have anyway to know, but the attacks from the wings versus Portugal seemed far more threatening than anything from the middle in any of the 3 games. Whether it was the opponent or a US decision (tactical/player) would make all the difference. But very little in the middle of the field has looked good.

Guiness
06-26-2014, 02:19 PM
Agreed on Bradley, he seems to have been in a funk for most of the WC.

Solid outcome against a squad like Germany's. And somebody needs to send the Portuguese a case of whiskey for showing up for their game.

Freak Out
06-26-2014, 02:40 PM
The right side vs Portugal was open all day for the counter attack and the USA took advantage of it. Germany played a completely different game today and it showed.

pbmax
06-26-2014, 02:40 PM
Funny and more than slightly unsettling:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrFGg88CAAAreiQ.jpg

Looks like Brooks wiki page will have to be changed back now that Ronaldo has replaced Abraham Lincoln.

Freak Out
06-26-2014, 05:25 PM
LOL....well...he did help today.

gbgary
06-26-2014, 06:54 PM
he owed us that.

hoosier
06-26-2014, 08:42 PM
I don't have anyway to know, but the attacks from the wings versus Portugal seemed far more threatening than anything from the middle in any of the 3 games. Whether it was the opponent or a US decision (tactical/player) would make all the difference. But very little in the middle of the field has looked good.

But you could even see the difference within the game today. After Germany went up 1-0 the US began attacking a little more and were able to put some pressure on the Germans. They didn't score but if they had kept that up for 90 minutes they probably would have. They seem to go into these long spells, first against Ghana and today against Germany, of playing back and showing little interest in advancing the ball. I am sure that is not helped by the problems they have completing passes when they do try to advance. Better passing and a more aggressive approach is what this team needs. But then again, what do I know.

pbmax
06-27-2014, 08:18 AM
Now that I think about it, Ronaldo not existing would have helped just as much, if not more, in the US advancing. Put Brooks back up there.

Joemailman
06-27-2014, 10:30 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/world-cup/eye-on-world-cup/24599256/jermaine-jones-to-play-vs-belgium-despite-broken-nose

United States manager Jurgen Klinsmann sounded hopeful when speaking to the status of injured striker Jozy Altidore, who was able to run during the team's training session for the third consecutive day.

"We are very optimistic to have him to be a part of the Belgium game," Klinsmann said Friday, according to Yahoo! Sports. "Every day is a big step forward."

Freak Out
06-27-2014, 11:18 PM
Ok....if he can move and is not a liability fine. One thing I know is they need to keep Gonzalez the hell out of there.

Freak Out
06-27-2014, 11:20 PM
Oh wait....that means cameron is in then. :) Not sure if I like that either. Gonzalez has more upside if he plays smart. What is the yellow card count now?

red
06-27-2014, 11:56 PM
Oh wait....that means cameron is in then. :) Not sure if I like that either. Gonzalez has more upside if he plays smart. What is the yellow card count now?

not 100% positive, but i want to say the cards reset after the group stage

nvm, that rule got changed in 2010

bobblehead
06-27-2014, 11:59 PM
I'm going to be honest. I find soccer more offensive than most people find politics, and as such, I am requesting this thread be moved to not offend me.

Freak Out
06-28-2014, 12:10 AM
You and Bretsky can both fuck off. ☺

pbmax
06-28-2014, 09:37 AM

Gonzlalez got some run in the press as Man of the Match (is that a universal soccer thing?) versus Germany. But they all acknowledged he had looked terrible at points before the World Cup.

pbmax
06-28-2014, 09:38 AM
I'm going to be honest. I find soccer more offensive than most people find politics, and as such, I am requesting this thread be moved to not offend me.

What if we changed the name?

pbmax
06-28-2014, 09:39 AM
FiveThirtyEight ‏@FiveThirtyEight 9m
In our updated #WorldCup predictions, the #USA has a 41% chance of beating #BEL on Tuesday.

red
06-28-2014, 10:08 AM
Gonzlalez got some run in the press as Man of the Match (is that a universal soccer thing?) versus Germany. But they all acknowledged he had looked terrible at points before the World Cup.

he had a rough start against germany, but he played damn good near the end. imo, him and howard are the 2 reasons that we didn't get our asses handed to us

Guiness
06-28-2014, 10:51 AM
Did anybody else get the impression that the Germans had another gear they could go to during the US game? They seem like an inconsistent team, which is not like them, historically.

red
06-28-2014, 11:07 AM
this game could be a total spectacle

both sets of fans booing the other sides anthems, both sides giving hard fouls early

this is gonna be fun

red
06-28-2014, 11:39 AM
boy the brazilian fans and players are all acting like giant twats so far

made me change who i was rooting for from brazil to chilie. i hope brazil losses and they burn their own fucking country to the ground because of it

neymars just a little bitch, dude has skills, but i'm losing all respect for him

denverYooper
06-28-2014, 11:48 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrOzhUmCQAAbxff.jpg

Freak Out
06-28-2014, 12:43 PM
Brasil with a horrible 2nd half.

Freak Out
06-28-2014, 12:44 PM
Nice save.

Guiness
06-28-2014, 12:45 PM
great try by Hulk and a spectacular save!

Guiness
06-28-2014, 12:54 PM
how much extra time? They didn't announce it.

edit: ok, they're done. 3 minutes.

Guiness
06-28-2014, 01:06 PM
this is crazy! hand in the back, Brazil with a free kick. Followed up by a good opportunity by Brazil, but the Brazilian ends up with a yellow card after he had his cleat too high and the Chilean keeper hammed it up better than a WWF jobber.

red
06-28-2014, 01:12 PM
this is crazy! hand in the back, Brazil with a free kick. Followed up by a good opportunity by Brazil, but the Brazilian ends up with a yellow card after he had his cleat too high and the Chilean keeper hammed it up better than a WWF jobber.

don't even try and say that the ref is calling everything for chilie

Guiness
06-28-2014, 01:24 PM
don't even try and say that the ref is calling everything for chilie

Not at all - the hand in the back was well called, and overall I think it's been even. I'd say the ref seems to be buying a lot of the pratfalls though.

Wow - another bad call, I think. Brazil with another yellow card, defender seemed to be standing still, Chilean player running by does a backwards handspring. Brazilian might've stuck his foot out?

Another great defensive play by Chile. Their back 3 (4?) are playing spectacularly.

Guiness
06-28-2014, 01:28 PM
Holy! Brazil with two big breaks inside of 10 seconds. Just after the 110 minute mark the referee misses wto fouls, either one of which could have been a red card.

Guiness
06-28-2014, 01:40 PM
Packers training crew down there? No shortage of guys pulling up with hamstrings. Neymar now.

Seriously though, long game, hot, they must be absolutely beat. And here we go, penalty kicks

red
06-28-2014, 01:42 PM
i think brazil might have fucked themselves in the end by flopping all over the place out of the gates

the team who cried wolf

chilie damn near stole the game with a minute left, hell of a blast of the crossbar

welcome to the most nerve raking moments in sports. the penalty shootout, winner take all

red
06-28-2014, 01:44 PM
Packers training crew down there? No shortage of guys pulling up with hamstrings. Neymar now.

Seriously though, long game, hot, they must be absolutely beat. And here we go, penalty kicks

they showed a shot of hulk about 15 minutes into the game and he was already drenched in sweat. its gotta be brutal down there, i'm amazed any of these guys can still stand

Guiness
06-28-2014, 01:52 PM
Braziliean keeper going full on beast mode here, stopping two first Chilean penalty kicks!

Guiness
06-28-2014, 01:55 PM
i think brazil might have fucked themselves in the end by flopping all over the place out of the gates

Did you see the two Chilean players I mentioned earlier go down? One took a knee to the back, looked bad from what I saw. What did you think?

Guiness
06-28-2014, 01:56 PM
Holy...a post on the last penalty kick. Keeper wasn't cleanly beaten, but I think it was going in.

red
06-28-2014, 01:57 PM
fuck

that was some of the worst penalty shooting i've ever seen, except for the one guy that hit the beauty into the top right corner

Freak Out
06-28-2014, 02:01 PM
May have been some poor shooting but it was a hell of a finish. FIFA loves that shit.

red
06-28-2014, 02:08 PM
May have been some poor shooting but it was a hell of a finish. FIFA loves that shit.

oh hell yeah, awesome game

pbmax
06-28-2014, 03:13 PM
I think Chile's strategy of playing for the shootout was a poor decision. There was about 15 minutes that Brazil had the best of play on offense in the second half, but except for Hulk (whose one vulnerability appears to be a slap to his cheek), all their chances were on long passes to one forward covered by two Chilean defenders. Brazil is so talented they almost controlled them, but they weren't dominating.

pbmax
06-28-2014, 03:16 PM
Mad, is there a module for Vine or Twitpic video on this board?

I can't find Chilean Joker in GIF format.

pbmax
06-28-2014, 03:29 PM
I am up to 27% understanding. http://www.zonalmarking.net/2014/06/27/world-cup-2014-group-stage-day-15/

GERMANY 1-0 USA
Thomas Muller’s fine goal won the game, but both sides progress

USA narrow

The major tactical feature was the narrowness of the USA without possession, which is something we’ve become accustomed to. Before the tournament it seemed Jurgen Klinsmann was going to play a midfield diamond, and while they’ve switched to more of a 4-4-1-1 formation, they still focus upon defending the centre of the pitch and preventing the opposition playing through the middle, which made sense against a German side boasting multiple playmakers.

It also made sense considering the lack of proper full-backs on the German side. Jerome Boateng and Benedikt Howedes are both more accustomed to playing at centre-back, and therefore the USA were content for these players to have the ball.

http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee512/zonal_marking/fffUSA-germany_zps1da2cb93.jpg

Defending crosses

The problem, though, is that the USA haven’t defended crosses well throughout this tournament. Against Portugal, for example, a wild slash from Geoff Cameron when attempting to clear a cross resulted in Nani’s goal, while the late equaliser by Silvestre Varela also came from a cross, hit from the right by Cristiano Ronaldo.

In the opening game against Ghana, opposition right-back Daniel Opare was given space to cross the ball, and while his delivery was dreadful, on the few occasions he got it right, the USA looked nervous.

Boateng freedom

The problem here was about Jerome Boateng. On the opposite flank, Howedes is simply not a left-back. He’s not good at overlapping, he’s not comfortable taking the ball in his stride, he doesn’t have a trick with the ball, and he always wants to come back inside onto his right foot. For long periods of the first half, the USA were leaving him completely free, and Germany weren’t keen to pass to him.

On the opposite flank, however, Boateng was a real threat. And while Boateng might consider himself a centre-back, he’s comfortable playing on the right, charging forward to stretch the play. Mesut Ozil’s movement created space on the outside for him, and Boateng repeatedly had the chance to swing crosses in behind the USA defence. It was his ball that created the first chance of the game, for Thomas Muller, and later his low cross forced Omar Gonzalez into a wild slice.

http://tf-chalkboards.s3-website-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/images/04QppK.png

Part of the problem was the USA’s inability to ease the pressure by holding onto the ball, although they did launch a couple of good counter-attacks, at one point breaking 5 v 5 in a move that ended with a decent Graham Zusi shot. In open play, the USA’s best attacking strategy involved Jermaine Jones darting forward through the centre, the classic ‘third man running’ – although his attacking efforts were often foiled by Manuel Neuer, who positioned himself on the edge of his box, and darted out quickly.

Klose on

Germany’s threat from wide remained the most likely source of goals, however, and this became even more of a factor once Miroslav Klose replaced Lukas Podolski. He played upfront with Thomas Muller going out to the left, but drifting inside to become a second striker. Now the USA were under real pressure when Boateng collected the ball on the right – he had two great crossing targets.

Boateng crossed within two minutes, with Ozil (!) in a goalscoring position and heading over. Germany also had opportunities to cross from the other flank, with both Muller and Bastian Schweinsteiger turning inside before curling balls towards the far post, before Mats Hummels did the same, forcing the corner that resulted in Muller’s excellent goal.

USA were in a strange situation here – clearly they wanted to get back into the game, but circumstances in the other match meant qualification could have gone down to goal difference, which meant it was important they didn’t concede any further goals.

This, and the relative lack of attacking talent on the bench, meant the USA didn’t produce much of a comeback until the final stages – in fact, their only two second half shots were in stoppage time.

pbmax
06-28-2014, 03:39 PM
Belgium has injuries to their defense. Maybe the US will be able to score.

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/28/belgium-vincent-kompany-injuries/

Vincent Kompany and Thomas Vermaelen, two potential starters in defense for Belgium, continue to be troubled by injuries that could sideline the pair for the Red Devils’ round of 16 match-up against the United States, according to reports out of Brazil. With two other Belgian defenders already ruled out, choices along the back are becoming depleted for head coach Marc Wilmots, who has had to consider employing two of his midfielders at fullback on Tuesday in Salvador.

wootah
06-28-2014, 04:06 PM
What a goal from James Rodriguez. World class!

wootah
06-28-2014, 04:09 PM
Impressive display by Colombia :whaa:

wootah
06-28-2014, 04:09 PM
Belgium has injuries to their defense. Maybe the US will be able to score.

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/28/belgium-vincent-kompany-injuries/

Vermaelen was not a starter. Kompany will play unless his legs fall off; he's our captain.

Joemailman
06-28-2014, 04:55 PM
Crowds chanting > vuzuzelas.

Great having the World Cup atmosphere back.

Brandon494
06-28-2014, 05:05 PM
I am up to 27% understanding. http://www.zonalmarking.net/2014/06/27/world-cup-2014-group-stage-day-15/

GERMANY 1-0 USA
Thomas Muller’s fine goal won the game, but both sides progress

USA narrow

The major tactical feature was the narrowness of the USA without possession, which is something we’ve become accustomed to. Before the tournament it seemed Jurgen Klinsmann was going to play a midfield diamond, and while they’ve switched to more of a 4-4-1-1 formation, they still focus upon defending the centre of the pitch and preventing the opposition playing through the middle, which made sense against a German side boasting multiple playmakers.

It also made sense considering the lack of proper full-backs on the German side. Jerome Boateng and Benedikt Howedes are both more accustomed to playing at centre-back, and therefore the USA were content for these players to have the ball.

http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee512/zonal_marking/fffUSA-germany_zps1da2cb93.jpg

Defending crosses

The problem, though, is that the USA haven’t defended crosses well throughout this tournament. Against Portugal, for example, a wild slash from Geoff Cameron when attempting to clear a cross resulted in Nani’s goal, while the late equaliser by Silvestre Varela also came from a cross, hit from the right by Cristiano Ronaldo.

In the opening game against Ghana, opposition right-back Daniel Opare was given space to cross the ball, and while his delivery was dreadful, on the few occasions he got it right, the USA looked nervous.

Boateng freedom

The problem here was about Jerome Boateng. On the opposite flank, Howedes is simply not a left-back. He’s not good at overlapping, he’s not comfortable taking the ball in his stride, he doesn’t have a trick with the ball, and he always wants to come back inside onto his right foot. For long periods of the first half, the USA were leaving him completely free, and Germany weren’t keen to pass to him.

On the opposite flank, however, Boateng was a real threat. And while Boateng might consider himself a centre-back, he’s comfortable playing on the right, charging forward to stretch the play. Mesut Ozil’s movement created space on the outside for him, and Boateng repeatedly had the chance to swing crosses in behind the USA defence. It was his ball that created the first chance of the game, for Thomas Muller, and later his low cross forced Omar Gonzalez into a wild slice.

http://tf-chalkboards.s3-website-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/images/04QppK.png

Part of the problem was the USA’s inability to ease the pressure by holding onto the ball, although they did launch a couple of good counter-attacks, at one point breaking 5 v 5 in a move that ended with a decent Graham Zusi shot. In open play, the USA’s best attacking strategy involved Jermaine Jones darting forward through the centre, the classic ‘third man running’ – although his attacking efforts were often foiled by Manuel Neuer, who positioned himself on the edge of his box, and darted out quickly.

Klose on

Germany’s threat from wide remained the most likely source of goals, however, and this became even more of a factor once Miroslav Klose replaced Lukas Podolski. He played upfront with Thomas Muller going out to the left, but drifting inside to become a second striker. Now the USA were under real pressure when Boateng collected the ball on the right – he had two great crossing targets.

Boateng crossed within two minutes, with Ozil (!) in a goalscoring position and heading over. Germany also had opportunities to cross from the other flank, with both Muller and Bastian Schweinsteiger turning inside before curling balls towards the far post, before Mats Hummels did the same, forcing the corner that resulted in Muller’s excellent goal.

USA were in a strange situation here – clearly they wanted to get back into the game, but circumstances in the other match meant qualification could have gone down to goal difference, which meant it was important they didn’t concede any further goals.

This, and the relative lack of attacking talent on the bench, meant the USA didn’t produce much of a comeback until the final stages – in fact, their only two second half shots were in stoppage time.

I thought he looked familiar, his brother plays on the Ghana team...well he did play on the Ghana team until they kicked him off.

Guiness
06-28-2014, 05:12 PM

+1

Those things rank up there with portable air horns in arenas/stadiums.

HarveyWallbangers
06-28-2014, 05:59 PM
I read a stat today that everbody's favorite whipping boy, Bradley, has ran more than a mile more than any other player in the tournament. Three miles more than any other American player. The work he does on the defensive end is amazing and important.

Freak Out
06-28-2014, 06:10 PM
I read a stat today that everbody's favorite whipping boy, Bradley, has ran more than a mile more than any other player in the tournament. Three miles more than any other American player. The work he does on the defensive end is amazing and important.

Thanks for pointing that out Harv....he has done a god job on the D and minus a few brain farts the team has done pretty well. I have always understood that the American team was one of the better conditioned....that can pay off big time in tournaments like this.

Colombia is a dynamic team but I fucking hate the crying game they play.....it's just so damn annoying.

Cheesehead Craig
06-28-2014, 07:56 PM
Know this is a bit late, but I got to watch the Netherlands/Chile game on the 25th in the Netherlands. It was a great atmosphere. There was nobody out on the roads and it was like Green Bay on a Sunday afternoon. But when they scored, you could hear everybody yelling cheering from bars, apartments, and restaurants. The people in The Netherlands (I was in The Hague) were outstanding.

red
06-28-2014, 07:56 PM

abso-fucking-lutley

red
06-28-2014, 07:57 PM

thats just cause everyone else is making him go get all the balls he's kicking all over the fucking place

"nice one asshole, you can go get it"

pbmax
06-28-2014, 09:11 PM

Defending your own turnovers is exhausting, I'm sure.

Several places have mentioned his good defensive work. Now he just needs to do something positive going forward.

pbmax
06-28-2014, 09:13 PM
Colombia is a dynamic team but I fucking hate the crying game they play.....it's just so damn annoying.

Their first goal was fantastic.

pbmax
06-28-2014, 09:14 PM
Vermaelen was not a starter. Kompany will play unless his legs fall off; he's our captain.

He was mentioned as one possible replacements for two other injured defenders.

Joemailman
06-29-2014, 11:45 AM
Tons of empty seats where the sun is hitting the stands. Heat index of 97F. Is Netherlands just trying to preserve energy for the 2nd half with their strategy?

red
06-29-2014, 11:47 AM
that should have been a penalty folks

he was actually fouled twice in the box

red
06-29-2014, 11:49 AM
Tons of empty seats where the sun is hitting the stands. Heat index of 97F. Is Netherlands just trying to preserve energy for the 2nd half with their strategy?

they might be. mexico is the team making all the runs, and they are the ones starting to look a bit worn all ready

red
06-29-2014, 12:05 PM

right now it is just after 8 pm in doha, qatar. it is 91 degees with a heat index of 107

the high today was 111

Freak Out
06-29-2014, 12:08 PM
Have there been any heat related injuries so far?

red
06-29-2014, 12:09 PM
great shot

red
06-29-2014, 12:10 PM
Have there been any heat related injuries so far?

not that i've heard of

Freak Out
06-29-2014, 12:12 PM
Mexico's hard press paid off.

red
06-29-2014, 12:37 PM
RVP has to be subbed out in the 75th minute during a water break, wow

he looked exhausted coming off

the dutch can't get a shot on goal to save their lives

red
06-29-2014, 12:48 PM
ah shit

snyder finally kept a shot down. these poor bastards, we're going to be going into extra time again

red
06-29-2014, 12:55 PM
wow, right there in their hands and the let it slip away

pbmax
06-29-2014, 01:06 PM
That late penalty kick made up for the one that could have been called earlier. But Robben was barely touched on the one they called.

pbmax
06-29-2014, 01:08 PM
Ochoa should have earned a penalty kick of his own by stopping that shot with his face and bouncing it out off the goal post.

Best Tweet:

Bill Barnwell ‏@billbarnwell 20m
Ochoa only let that in because he finally decided to try and stop a shot with his mind

red
06-29-2014, 01:13 PM
That late penalty kick made up for the one that could have been called earlier. But Robben was barely touched on the one they called.

thats the way i look at it. it was a flop, but the one in the first half was a clear penalty that wasn't called

i hate refs making "make up calls" but it worked out in the end here

Joemailman
06-29-2014, 01:25 PM
thats the way i look at it. it was a flop, but the one in the first half was a clear penalty that wasn't called

i hate refs making "make up calls" but it worked out in the end here

Isn't the 4th minute of extra time a bad time for a make up call? That call didn't seem to me to be consistent with the way the match had been called up to that point.

Guiness
06-29-2014, 01:27 PM
Qatar is a stupid idea, plain and simple. 111degrees? You know a pile of money changed hands in that 'decision'. And not to make this too political and/or religious, but are women going to be allowed to attend the events? Without Burkas? Without male chaperons, and will they be allowed in the same part of the stadium as the men? It has the makings of a big damn mess.

pbmax
06-29-2014, 01:30 PM
Isn't the 4th minute of extra time a bad time for a make up call? That call didn't seem to me to be consistent with the way the match had been called up to that point.

I don't think it was a makeup call as much as Robben flailing every time he lost control of a contested ball. He isn't just some run of the mill flopper or drama queen, he is a professional at angling to get a call.

In a stunning display of formerly absent athleticism, he was able to JUMP over an outstretched leg in the box when he actually had control of the ball an take a shot on goal.

pbmax
06-29-2014, 01:31 PM
Qatar is a stupid idea, plain and simple. 111degrees? You know a pile of money changed hands in that 'decision'. And not to make this too political and/or religious, but are women going to be allowed to attend the events? Without Burkas? Without male chaperons, and will they be allowed in the same part of the stadium as the men? It has the makings of a big damn mess.

I think they are moving the dates for that World Cup.

Joemailman
06-29-2014, 01:33 PM

Not saying there won't be problems, but they claim to have plans to cool off the stadiums.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_and_2022_FIFA_World_Cup_bids

Some concerns with Qatar's bid deal with the extreme temperatures.[72] The World Cup is always held in the European off-season in June and July and during this period the average daytime high in most of Qatar is in excess of 40 °C (104 °F), with the average daily low temperatures not dropping below 30 °C (86 °F).[73] Sheikh Mohammed bin Hamad bin Khalifa al-Thani, the 2022 Qatar bid chairman, responded saying "the event has to be organised in June or July. We will have to take the help of technology to counter the harsh weather. We have already set in motion the process. A stadium with controlled temperature is the answer to the problem. We have other plans up our sleeves as well."[74] The first five proposed stadia are planned to employ cooling technology capable of reducing temperatures within the stadium by up to 20 degrees Celsius. Additionally, the upper tiers of the stadia will be dis-assembled after the World Cup and donated to countries with less developed sports infrastructure

Guiness
06-29-2014, 01:37 PM
Not saying there won't be problems, but they claim to have plans to cool off the stadiums.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_and_2022_FIFA_World_Cup_bids

I figured that was going to be part of the answer, some sort of A/C.

pbmax
06-29-2014, 01:40 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/10558242/Qatar-2022-World-Cup-will-not-be-held-in-summer-says-Fifa-chief-who-targets-dates-between-Nov-15-and-Jan-15.html

Jerome Valcke took to French radio to reveal football’s biggest event was likely to be held in Qatar “sometime between November 15 and January 15”, for the first time raising the prospect of it spanning two years.

Jim Boyce was clearly riled by the comments, declaring himself “completely shocked” by them and insisting he and his fellow Fifa executive committee members would decide at the end of this year or the beginning of next when the 2022 World Cup would be played.

Fifa attempted to minimise the impact of Valcke’s pronouncement, which was merely the latest either from him or president Sepp Blatter paving the way for the tournament to be moved to the end of 2022 to avoid Qatar’s extreme summer temperatures.

Joemailman
06-29-2014, 01:42 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qatar

In 2014, Qatar released dress code decree which particularly to remind tourists how to dress properly. Female tourists are not allowed to wear leggings, miniskirts, sleeveless dresses and short or tight clothing in public. Men are not allowed to wear only shorts and singlets.[59]

Guiness
06-29-2014, 01:42 PM
I don't think it was a makeup call as much as Robben flailing every time he lost control of a contested ball. He isn't just some run of the mill flopper or drama queen, he is a professional at angling to get a call.

In a stunning display of formerly absent athleticism, he was able to JUMP over an outstretched leg in the box when he actually had control of the ball an take a shot on goal.

Was that really 100% a flop by Robben's? I've looked at a couple of replay angles, and it looks like the defender stepped on his foot causing him to trip up. This article that talks about it being a dive but it looks pretty legit to me. They say minimal contact, but the defender's right foot is clearly on top of his. He was cutting and trying to accelerate, and had his foot stepped on. It's more than possible he legitimately went down

Looking at that angle, I think he might've embellished it a bit, but it does seem like the defender caused him to go down. (link fixed)
http://www.businessinsider.com/arjen-robben-dives-2014-6

denverYooper
06-29-2014, 01:46 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qatar
Damn. Singlets are just about the only thing I own.

pbmax
06-29-2014, 01:46 PM
Was Robben's flop that bad? I've looked at a couple of replay angles, and it looks like the defender stepped on his foot causing him to trip up. This article that talks about it being a dive but it looks pretty legit to me. They say minimal contact, but the defender's right foot is clearly on top of his. That's a trip.

Looking at that angle, I think he might've embellished it a bit, but it does seem like the defender caused him to go down.
https://v.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/B675579AB91095091585638723584_29e4966bade.0.4.1442 652084490161002.mp4?versionId=aseAYGvAvNpxUu.2tlVB acilLrfaYuEF

He was flailing and falling every time he lost control of the ball, it wasn't just on that play. Its possible that step on his foot caused him to stumble, but he threw his other leg into the air like it was the one that was hit and catapulted towards the beach.

Guiness
06-29-2014, 01:47 PM
In 2014, Qatar released dress code decree which particularly to remind tourists how to dress properly. Female tourists are not allowed to wear leggings, miniskirts, sleeveless dresses and short or tight clothing in public. Men are not allowed to wear only shorts and singlets.[59]

Ya, that's awesome.

IMO that isn't acceptable at all. FIFA's so bloody corrupt they can't see past the big pile of money they were given for this. They really should've gotten some concessions out of the government, but it looks like they didn't.

And it's a hardship on the rest of us who are just watching on TV too! Is it really a world cup without audience shots of Brazilian women?
http://news.xinhuanet.com/sports/2013-06/18/124865588_471n.jpg

Guiness
06-29-2014, 02:05 PM
He was flailing and falling every time he lost control of the ball, it wasn't just on that play. Its possible that step on his foot caused him to stumble, but he threw his other leg into the air like it was the one that was hit and catapulted towards the beach.

I don't know about the rest of the game, but taking that play in isolation, I'd say the step made him stumble or go down. I'm sure you've seen what happens when someone who's running gets a foot stepped on. Despite how little actual 'contact' there is, the person inevitably goes flying.

He might've been able to stay on his feet, but:
1. I wouldn't say for sure
2. There's no advantage to him doing so

I've posted a few times in this thread about how much the diving is pissing me off, just saying I don't think this is an example, although I seem to be in the minority. It would be a pretty major rule change, but I think it would be a good thing for FIFA to add an 'unsportsmanlike' or some other sort of penalty when referees see clear dives. As I mentioned earlier, wouldn't be a bad idea for them to add a second referee on the pitch, especially for games at this level. Would have the added bonus of them making conflicting calls and occasionally coming to fisticuffs while the players stand by deciding what to do!

pbmax
06-29-2014, 02:18 PM
Can't get the Vine link to work, but I watched this a few times:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Byf69GXoeAU

There is contact, but its not cynical and was an actual attempt to play the ball. Its his left foot, which was already planted, and he is stepping forward with his right. his right never comes down though, as after he realizes there is contact, he shoots his right leg out as he falls to the ground. While I can certainly envision someone tripping because their foot is stepped on, this looks at a minimum enhanced, and possibly just shy of imaginary.

If it were entirely natural, I would expect him to continue forward with his right leg to catch the fall. He doesn't and that is the other half of this that looks invented.

But its still not my main point. Whenever a situation like this presented itself (loss of control of ball) he went down, foul or no. If he kept possession and had an opportunity, he somehow stayed upright. I think he earned this not just as a make-up call, but because of all the other flopping made it look like Mexico was being more physical than they were.

Guiness
06-29-2014, 02:29 PM
Can't get the Vine link to work, but I watched this a few times:

Dead link. I fixed the one in my post above
http://www.businessinsider.com/arjen-robben-dives-2014-6

red
06-29-2014, 03:25 PM
there you go, a greek barely caught the foot of a costa rican (just like robben) at the edge of the box,the costa rican player flew to the ground just like robben. the english TV commentators called it a great call because there was contact

on the foul against robben, there was contact, no matter how small it was, you can't make contact. the mexican commentator or his companion, where the ones to bring up it being a flop

its all in the eye of the beholder

Teamcheez1
06-29-2014, 03:57 PM
I don't know about the rest of the game, but taking that play in isolation, I'd say the step made him stumble or go down. I'm sure you've seen what happens when someone who's running gets a foot stepped on. Despite how little actual 'contact' there is, the person inevitably goes flying.

He might've been able to stay on his feet, but:
1. I wouldn't say for sure
2. There's no advantage to him doing so

I've posted a few times in this thread about how much the diving is pissing me off, just saying I don't think this is an example, although I seem to be in the minority. It would be a pretty major rule change, but I think it would be a good thing for FIFA to add an 'unsportsmanlike' or some other sort of penalty when referees see clear dives. As I mentioned earlier, wouldn't be a bad idea for them to add a second referee on the pitch, especially for games at this level. Would have the added bonus of them making conflicting calls and occasionally coming to fisticuffs while the players stand by deciding what to do!

The FIFA rules allow the referee to give a yellow card on a clear dive.

red
06-29-2014, 04:17 PM
what the hell was that goal? guy barely got a hold of the ball, and the thing just trickled in from way the hell out there, and the greek defender and goalie just sit there and watch it go in

now a player on the bench just got a yellow card. lol

reminds me of my old high school basketball days when me and my fellow end of benchers figured out we could still get our names in the papers box scores for getting technical fouls. FYI, refs don't like being called fuckwads or dickheads. they also don't like you discussing how tight their daughters assholes may or may not be

pbmax
06-29-2014, 05:09 PM
Dear American Continent Fútbol Sides;

Stop playing with no offense with a 1 goal lead and 40 minutes left. It ain't working.

Thank you,

pbmax

cc: Costa Rica, Mexico

pbmax
06-29-2014, 05:10 PM
what the hell was that goal? guy barely got a hold of the ball, and the thing just trickled in from way the hell out there, and the greek defender and goalie just sit there and watch it go in

now a player on the bench just got a yellow card. lol

reminds me of my old high school basketball days when me and my fellow end of benchers figured out we could still get our names in the papers box scores for getting technical fouls. FYI, refs don't like being called fuckwads or dickheads. they also don't like you discussing how tight their daughters assholes may or may not be

I thought some contact is allowed as long as its an honest/successful tackle of the ball? They don't call all contact on other contested plays, or it different in the goal box?

red
06-29-2014, 05:20 PM
I thought some contact is allowed as long as its an honest/successful tackle of the ball? They don't call all contact on other contested plays, or it different in the goal box?

not at the feet, and you have to make contact with the ball first. if you get the ball first, then you can usually take out his legs or feet. but if you go for the ball, miss the ball and just get the feet, even if its an honest mistake, its a foul

of course its all dependent on the ref seeing it that way during play

red
06-29-2014, 05:21 PM
Dear American Continent Fútbol Sides;

Stop playing with no offense with a 1 goal lead and 40 minutes left. It ain't working.

Thank you,

pbmax

cc: Costa Rica, Mexico

just like the US, must be a concacaf thing

red
06-29-2014, 05:25 PM
LOL, the magic spray,thats the first time i remember seeing it this year

i can't believe anyone still uses that shit

snake oil in a can

red
06-29-2014, 05:38 PM
these 2 teams can't even stay on their feet anymore

red
06-29-2014, 05:52 PM
these two teams could give chile some tips on how to take penalty kicks

red
06-29-2014, 05:56 PM
keeper can't come off the line my ass, that guy was 5 yards off his line when he blocked that

anyways, costa rica stands up to the pressure and nails all 5 of their kicks, very clutch

pbmax
06-29-2014, 06:02 PM
these two teams could give chile some tips on how to take penalty kicks

No kidding. All 9 of them were better than yesterday.

Guiness
06-29-2014, 11:11 PM
The FIFA rules allow the referee to give a yellow card on a clear dive.

And how many of those have we seen this WC? Ya, thought so. Ignore that elephant in the corner, it's not really there.

Guiness
06-29-2014, 11:13 PM
not at the feet, and you have to make contact with the ball first. if you get the ball first, then you can usually take out his legs or feet. but if you go for the ball, miss the ball and just get the feet, even if its an honest mistake, its a foul

of course its all dependent on the ref seeing it that way during play

That's my understanding too. If you make contact with the ball FIRST whatever happens after is ok.

pbmax
06-30-2014, 09:23 AM
That's my understanding too. If you make contact with the ball FIRST whatever happens after is ok.

Well that at least makes some sense. But with one ref, do they get to see that kind of detail?

It took Super Slo Mo to make it obvious is wasn't a flop.

Guiness
06-30-2014, 11:06 AM
Well that at least makes some sense. But with one ref, do they get to see that kind of detail?

It took Super Slo Mo to make it obvious is wasn't a flop.

Yup, way too many judgement calls on a very fast moving game with 22 men on the field! No way to track that, resulting if far too many judgement call on the part of a ref, which is why I've said a couple of times they need to start using another referee.

Guiness
06-30-2014, 11:30 AM
France Nigeria is turning into a very good game. Nigeria just had a goal (correctly) called back due to an offside. A LOT of contact, hand fighting on all the throw-ins, a few elbows thrown. Players lying all over the field, one guy carried off already.

Joemailman
06-30-2014, 12:38 PM
Well, France was bound to score. They had done everything but score in the last few minutes.

Joemailman
06-30-2014, 12:49 PM
What a domination by France in the last 20 minutes.

Freak Out
06-30-2014, 04:38 PM
Algeria playing TOUGH! Germany with chances but man....so has Algeria.

Brandon494
06-30-2014, 04:58 PM
Just like that...

Guiness
06-30-2014, 04:59 PM
what is going on out there? 0-0 at the end of regulation for Germany and Algeria, wouldn't have called that. Well, in hindsight, maybe; if you ignore their 4-0 result against Portugal, Germany has had trouble finding the back of the net.

Freak Out
06-30-2014, 05:20 PM
Starting to get nervous about the game tomorrow.

Joemailman
06-30-2014, 05:52 PM
Battiston and Schumacher going to be at the Germany/France match on Friday?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3byTNRoxujo

pbmax
06-30-2014, 06:29 PM
The Mexican coach and I think Robben was faking. But he is admitting only to one flop.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/28082629

pbmax
06-30-2014, 06:30 PM
Can you get a retroactive yellow?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BraTosOCcAAFmw-.jpg:large

Freak Out
06-30-2014, 07:09 PM
It was bad at the time and worse there. :) Wasn't called at all right?

pbmax
06-30-2014, 07:12 PM
... Wasn't called at all right?

No idea.

Freak Out
06-30-2014, 07:12 PM
Robben is a pro at flopping....everyone knows it. There were a couple (?) non calls against him...but there always is. Just a bad way to end they game.....even if the guy did get a toe on him.

Teamcheez1
06-30-2014, 07:14 PM
No idea.

The German player was given a yellow card for deliberately grabbing the player's shorts and not playing the ball.

pbmax
06-30-2014, 07:30 PM
Shorter version: Bradley has not been good.

http://www.cbssports.com/world-cup/eye-on-world-cup/24601587/united-states-yet-to-play-best-game-needs-to-tweak-lineup-for-belgium

Of the seven gentlemen to start all three matches the US has played to this point, unquestionably, Michael Bradley has been the worst.

The United States' premier midfielder, a man that, pre-tournament, many would consider the most irreplaceable player on the roster and the most integral and important player our country has produced in quite some time, has been a wreck. An eager and hungry ball winner at his best -- the singular key to American possession -- Bradley has been disposed and turned the ball over more than any other field player. His decision-making in transition has been downright horrible at times, his finishing has been non-existent, his delivery on passes has been terribly heavy, lacking the deft touch and precision that defines his play. Usually the steel and heart and nerves of this side, Bradley has instead looked shockingly overwhelmed by role and circumstance.

Its vital the middle continue to play well AND be involved at both ends. So he wants to move Bradley back and move Jones forward.

But its also possible LaCanfora has just copied and pasted Bradley's name into an article about Joe Flacco or the Orioles.

Freak Out
06-30-2014, 07:33 PM
That first Kraut goal was a thing of beauty. The second not so much....everyone was just spent.

Guiness
06-30-2014, 09:48 PM
Can you get a retroactive yellow?

He got a yellow.

wootah
07-01-2014, 12:43 PM
http://rscaforum.be/images/smilies/omdathetkan.smilie.icon_belgievlag.gif

Joemailman
07-01-2014, 12:47 PM
http://www.animatedgif.net/flags/flagsusa/uspatriotic_e0.gif

Joemailman
07-01-2014, 01:40 PM
Gotta feel for the Swiss. Can't come much closer to that.

Freak Out
07-01-2014, 01:46 PM
What a finish! Wow....that's what it is all about. Messi is so damn good. Great game on both sides....Argentina had some chances though....it was bound to happen.

hoosier
07-01-2014, 02:22 PM
Swiss played good d but never threatened to score.

Out of the blue one of the univisión announcers informed his audience that in Wisconsin there is a little Switzerland close to Milwaukee. It had no rhyme or reason in the context of what they were talking about, except for the Swiss connection. Maybe he was confusing little switzerland with New Glarus under the secret influence of a Spotted Cow.

pbmax
07-01-2014, 02:46 PM
Spotted Cow is everywhere, I wouldn't doubt it.

Alexi Lalas just made Harv's point about Bradley having traveled the most kilometers of any player in Group play. He was in the middle of showing Bradley losing possession to Portugal, I think. He wanted to show that even though Bradley committed a terrible turnover at the Center Line, he immediately made his way to the back left from the front right to setup a defensive position.

He then remarked that possession is no good unless it puts you in a better position to be productive. He said the same thing about the number of kilometers run.

He never answered the question though: is asking Bradley to do both a productive strategy?

Is La Canfora right that since he has trouble going forward that they should keep him back?

hoosier
07-01-2014, 02:57 PM
"Only in Wisconsin!"TM

pbmax
07-01-2014, 03:00 PM
Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 1h
Klinsi with more ballsy moves in the lineup. Very surprised no Beckerman but 3 CBs provides lots of cover vs. Lukaku and Fellaini...

U.S. Soccer @ussoccer · 59m
The #USA lineup from @J_Klinsmann. It's a 4-3-3 v #BEL today. Tell us your thoughts! #AreYouReady

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrevwaYIgAAReuY.png:large

Brandon494
07-01-2014, 03:18 PM
Bradley has been so annoying this World Cup...horrible passing.

pbmax
07-01-2014, 03:30 PM
Brian Phillips ‏@runofplay 1m
Player ratings so far. Cameron: Soviet Union, Zusi: France, Beasley: Arpanet, Howard: John Wayne on a horse

pbmax
07-01-2014, 03:31 PM
Bradley has been so annoying this World Cup...horrible passing.

And oddly this has been his most effective game on offense. Two nice plays so far.

Brandon494
07-01-2014, 03:38 PM
I'm liking this Yedlin kid.

Joemailman
07-01-2014, 03:54 PM

Me too. I just hope he doesn't get matched up against Fellaini on a set play.

pbmax
07-01-2014, 04:00 PM

Good 40 and short shuttle I bet. Change of pace back.

pbmax
07-01-2014, 04:01 PM
Me too. I just hope he doesn't get matched up against Fellaini on a set play.

Elbows everywhere. No one will see them.

pbmax
07-01-2014, 04:10 PM
Bill Barnwell ‏@billbarnwell 20m
Halftime plan is simple: Clone Yedlin, lock Cameron in a soundproof closet, take Jozy out of hyperbaric chamber

Freak Out
07-01-2014, 04:27 PM
US with to many turnovers. Ugh.

Brandon494
07-01-2014, 04:35 PM
US with to many turnovers. Ugh.

Passing is horrible...Packer fans are not use to this. :-)

Freak Out
07-01-2014, 04:36 PM
Good D and Howard has been great.....but fuck me the O his horrible. Dempsey is frustrated now and just shooting whenever he gets close.

Joemailman
07-01-2014, 04:53 PM
Jones and Bradley just don't seem to be a factor at all.

pbmax
07-01-2014, 04:55 PM
Passing is horrible...Packer fans are not use to this. :-)

Its like being a Vikes fan. Good D and sputtering O.

pbmax
07-01-2014, 04:57 PM
Jones and Bradley just don't seem to be a factor at all.

Jones and the new guy Yedlin have had trouble combining. They obviously don't have much experience with each other.

Teamcheez1
07-01-2014, 05:00 PM
The USA has looked overmatched all game. It was just a matter of time before Belgium scored. We certainly don't deserve to win this game.

Brandon494
07-01-2014, 05:01 PM
The USA has looked overmatched all game. It was just a matter of time before Belgium scored. We certainly don't deserve to win this game.

Yup we had our chance at the end but we haven't scored in two full games now.

pbmax
07-01-2014, 05:02 PM
Too much possession deep in USA end. Someone was going to shake free.

Can it end after 15 or must it go 30?

pbmax
07-01-2014, 05:05 PM
Yedlin has beaten his defender on the wing several times but the US refuses to have a man near the near post. Might be a good idea since that seems to be where he crosses it.

Brandon494
07-01-2014, 05:11 PM
Too much possession deep in USA end. Someone was going to shake free.

Can it end after 15 or must it go 30?

two halfs of 15

pbmax
07-01-2014, 05:13 PM
And there we go.

Brandon494
07-01-2014, 05:14 PM
That's game, besides Howard our team is just not that good. Not having Altidore these last two games have really showed.

Brandon494
07-01-2014, 05:17 PM
These young players are showing up!!!

pbmax
07-01-2014, 05:18 PM
Hello Julian Green.

pbmax
07-01-2014, 05:22 PM
Eddie Hazard plays soccer?

Freak Out
07-01-2014, 05:23 PM
Insane.

Brandon494
07-01-2014, 05:25 PM
Are you kidding me!!!

Teamcheez1
07-01-2014, 05:29 PM
Where was the fire the first 110 minutes of the game?

Brandon494
07-01-2014, 05:31 PM
1 fucking minnute??? Unreal

Brandon494
07-01-2014, 05:32 PM
Good run US...we had our chances.

pbmax
07-01-2014, 05:33 PM

No kidding.

Teamcheez1
07-01-2014, 05:33 PM
If you asked me prior to the World Cup, this is about as far as I thought this team could go. Great effort, but not one of the best 8 teams in the world.

Freak Out
07-01-2014, 05:39 PM
If you asked me prior to the World Cup, this is about as far as I thought this team could go. Great effort, but not one of the best 8 teams in the world.

Yep. Despite all the bad play in they had a chance at the end....and missed.

Joemailman
07-01-2014, 05:42 PM

I think conditioning showed. I think Belgium was spent that last 10 minutes.

Joemailman
07-01-2014, 05:57 PM
Is the U.S. capable of more than this? They were in every game, but seemed to be better at effort and spirit than talent. Does the U.S. have too many of its top male athletes playing other team sports to compete with those countries where futbol is king?

Freak Out
07-01-2014, 06:19 PM
Is the U.S. capable of more than this? They were in every game, but seemed to be better at effort and spirit than talent. Does the U.S. have too many of its top male athletes playing other team sports to compete with those countries where futbol is king?

Yes.

Joemailman
07-01-2014, 06:22 PM
Yes to which question?

Brandon494
07-01-2014, 06:25 PM

Not if we keep recruiting Germans.. :lol:

Unfortunately baseball and soccer aren't too popular in the urban areas, I'm sure some of those guys who couldn't make it in the NBA or NFL would make good soccer players. Anyway I think we might have two future studs in Green and Yedlin but I don't really know shit about soccer so who knows.

Brandon494
07-01-2014, 06:25 PM
Yes to which question?

Both

wootah
07-01-2014, 06:30 PM
http://rscaforum.be/images/smilies/omdathetkan.smilie.icon_belgievlag.gifhttp://rscaforum.be/images/smilies/omdathetkan.smilie.icon_belgievlag.gifhttp://rscaforum.be/images/smilies/omdathetkan.smilie.icon_belgievlag.gifhttp://rscaforum.be/images/smilies/omdathetkan.smilie.icon_belgievlag.gifhttp://rscaforum.be/images/smilies/omdathetkan.smilie.icon_belgievlag.gif
http://rscaforum.be/images/smilies/omdathetkan.smilie.icon_belgievlag.gifhttp://rscaforum.be/images/smilies/omdathetkan.smilie.icon_belgievlag.gifhttp://rscaforum.be/images/smilies/omdathetkan.smilie.icon_belgievlag.gifhttp://rscaforum.be/images/smilies/omdathetkan.smilie.icon_belgievlag.gifhttp://rscaforum.be/images/smilies/omdathetkan.smilie.icon_belgievlag.gif

pbmax
07-01-2014, 06:30 PM
I think conditioning showed. I think Belgium was spent that last 10 minutes.

They did stop challenging possession.

I think Ballack said something smart at halftime. If the US wanted to maintain possession, it had to play further up the field. They did that in extra time.

wootah
07-01-2014, 06:31 PM
27 shots on goal, this never should have been this close.

Kudos on the US for showing a lot of heart those last 15mins, but the superior team won today.

Freak Out
07-01-2014, 06:44 PM
Yes to which question?

No to the first and yes to the second.

Freak Out
07-01-2014, 06:46 PM
27 shots on goal, this never should have been this close.

Kudos on the US for showing a lot of heart those last 15mins, but the superior team won today.

What did Howard have....like 16 or 17 saves? Fucking unreal....but its just like the old Irish announcer said..."ya gotta put it in the back of the net" same goes for the gimme that the USA missed.

You are right wootah...if that team really gels look out!

wootah
07-01-2014, 06:54 PM
You don't have the proper scouting and coaching from a young age. Internet tells me the US has over 2,5 registered male soccer players, that's 1/4 Belgiums total population. Players enough, while from your whole team only the goalie would be part of our selection of 23 and then as 3rd goalie.

wootah
07-01-2014, 06:55 PM
What did Howard have....like 16 or 17 saves? Fucking unreal....but its just like the old Irish announcer said..."ya gotta put it in the back of the net" same goes for the gimme that the USA missed.

You are right wootah...if that team really gels look out!

Howard was superb, hats off to him. All the Belgian players that were interviewed lauded him enormously as well.

Teamcheez1
07-01-2014, 07:06 PM
You don't have the proper scouting and coaching from a young age. Internet tells me the US has over 2,5 registered male soccer players, that's 1/4 Belgiums total population. Players enough, while from your whole team only the goalie would be part of our selection of 23 and then as 3rd goalie.

I would disagree. Soccer is continuing to grow a vibrant and passionate fan base. Youth soccer has really progressed over the past few decades from almost nothing. I see the talent and competitiveness only getting better.

Freak Out
07-01-2014, 07:09 PM
If MLS survives and the salaries are competitive parents and players will take notice and a big shift could occur. Color me skeptical though...even though I'd love to see it.

Joemailman
07-01-2014, 07:15 PM
Anybody agree with this? And where's Red?

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/07/united-states-belgium-world-cup-loss-tim-howard-julian-green-goal

1. The U.S. missed Kyle Beckerman.

In a match that demanded a physical presence with the ability to pass out of midfield, Klinsmann decided to bench the one player who had provided him just that for the entire World Cup. No other player in the U.S.’s match against Germany had a higher pass completion rate than Beckerman, who maintained possession more than 90% of the time. It was Beckerman who cancelled out Bastian Schweinsteiger in that match, and Cristiano Ronaldo before him.

Yet, Beckerman was nowhere to be found against Belgium, allowing the 6-5 Marouane Fellaini to bully the U.S. midfield for 90 minutes. Cameron failed to provide the passing in attack or support in defense that Beckerman had in games past, resulting in a constant threat when Belgium had the ball.

Teamcheez1
07-01-2014, 07:18 PM
Anybody agree with this? And where's Red?

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/07/united-states-belgium-world-cup-loss-tim-howard-julian-green-goal

I think you always analyze why you lose a game. Hind site is 20/20.

Would Beckerman have made a huge difference? Probably not much, and we still wouldn't have won.

hoosier
07-01-2014, 07:19 PM

You think Howard would be third string goalie on Belgium team?!?

Joemailman
07-01-2014, 07:20 PM

We save you guys from Germany in 2 World Wars and this is the thanks we get? :wink:

Joemailman
07-01-2014, 07:50 PM

Youth soccer is huge in the U.S. However, once the boys enter high school at age 14, a lot of families with a star athlete start thinking about which sport gives them the best chance at a college scholarship. For most, that is football or basketball. The key for the U.S. I think is getting more of the top boys soccer players to stick with the sport through high school. It's a tough sell.

Brandon494
07-01-2014, 07:56 PM
You think Howard would be third string goalie on Belgium team?!?

He wouldn't be third, but Thibault Courtois might be the best goal keeper in the world right now and only 22 years old.

Teamcheez1
07-01-2014, 08:00 PM
Youth soccer is huge in the U.S. However, once the boys enter high school at age 14, a lot of families with a star athlete start thinking about which sport gives them the best chance at a college scholarship. For most, that is football or basketball. The key for the U.S. I think is getting more of the top boys soccer players to stick with the sport through high school. It's a tough sell.

Why would basketball give you a better opportunity at a scholarship than soccer? Soccer teams carry 20+ players. Basketball is around 13.

After doing some research (I edited this post), you are correct on the scholarship availability being more for basketball and football. More players in soccer than basketball , but less scholarships and teams.

Brandon494
07-01-2014, 08:04 PM

I don't think it has anything to do with scouting or coaching, just the best athletes in the US favor other sports over soccer. Kids growing up don't see soccer games on the TV in the US, its all about football, baseball, and basketball.

Joemailman
07-01-2014, 09:01 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrfmvU0IUAEi4kZ.jpg

red
07-01-2014, 09:21 PM
I'm here. Out of town on one of those new fangled smart phones I just got yesterday.

I'm proud as shit about the way we played today, we left it all out there

And I do agree about beckerman, I heard was was being left out on the bar and I thought it was a pretty stupid move. Hes been one of our best players this WC

red
07-01-2014, 09:23 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrfmvU0IUAEi4kZ.jpg

In world wars

US. 2-0

Belgium 0-2

Freak Out
07-01-2014, 10:29 PM
I was was telling my Flemish friends that even though they won today it's only because we saved their ass a couple of times. :)

Freak Out
07-01-2014, 10:33 PM
He wouldn't be third, but Thibault Courtois might be the best goal keeper in the world right now and only 22 years old.

This. I agree with Brandon on Courtois but show me a ranking that has Howard as waterboy on that team. wootah the Walloon is just a bit cocky after the win. :)

wootah
07-02-2014, 02:24 AM
16 saves by Howard, the most in WC history since 1966. Don't get me wrong, guys: no disrespect to him or any of you, but we might have the best GK in the world on our team and behind him is Mignolet who was playing for the EPL title with Liverpool until the last day. Great game by Howard, but I value the other 2 a bit higher.

15 years ago, our soccer federation changed their your development program and now a very talented generation is stepping up. Adnan Januzaj, considered the biggest young talent in the world, didn't even come of the bench yesterday. Sure if soccer was your nr1 sport, and all public focus (money) and quality coaches (money) would be pointed towards it, you guys would dominate. But just seeing at the volume of players you currently have, you should have been able to develop some better players. It's not a coincidence that your best players have spend their youth/whole life in Europe. That's not because they are more talented than the Lebrons or Jadeveons, it's because they have better coaching there and can thus play on a higher level there.

2,5million male players is an ENORMOUS base to tap from. Uruguay has a little over 3 million total inhabitants and see what kind of team they can provide from such a little pool of available players.

I have to laugh a bit with the WW refences guys :D We also eliminated Russia in the first round, so it seems we're betraying all the allies ;-) I'm not a Walloon btw; I prefer to stay away from the Flemish/Walloon thing and I consider myself a true Belgian. So... Vive la Belgique / Leve België :)

wootah
07-02-2014, 03:04 AM
About the talent topic: soccer is a sport where almost you don't need extreme measurement numbers to excel: you can be small/frail/big/strong/somewhat slow/super quick and still use other qualities (vista, technique, smarts...) to get the upper hand.

Fritz
07-02-2014, 07:40 AM
Howard was superb, hats off to him. All the Belgian players that were interviewed lauded him enormously as well.

I'm not an expert by any means, but I enjoyed the game and am okay with the outcome, though disappointed. The US played hard but they just weren't as good as the Belgians.

I will be rooting for Belgium (until they play Germany; sorry Woot). They played with class - I liked this game because there wasn't all that stupid flopping all game long. I admit to my Euro-prejudice, too - I think the South and Central Americans are flashier but they are flopistas and I can't stand that.

Belgium looked like a stand-up bunch of guys with a tough goalie. I liked them.

Hats off to the US, though - a gutsy effort. They just lacked quite enough talent. But they played hard and I enjoyed it all.

hoosier
07-02-2014, 07:46 AM
I'm not an expert by any means, but I enjoyed the game and am okay with the outcome, though disappointed. The US played hard but they just weren't as good as the Belgians.

I will be rooting for Belgium (until they play Germany; sorry Woot). They played with class - I liked this game because there wasn't all that stupid flopping all game long. I admit to my Euro-prejudice, too - I think the South and Central Americans are flashier but they are flopistas and I can't stand that.

Belgium looked like a stand-up bunch of guys with a tough goalie. I liked them.

Hats off to the US, though - a gutsy effort. They just lacked quite enough talent. But they played hard and I enjoyed it all.

I don't know how you can call the South Americans flopistas after those gems from Robben. :-)

Joemailman
07-02-2014, 08:48 AM
Not World Cup, but an interesting moment for Tim Howard while playing for Everton:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omO1PQehOUc

wist43
07-02-2014, 09:02 AM
I thought now that the Collectivist States of Amerika lost in the Commie Cup, you ballarinas would go back to reading Marx and dying your hair pink...

Take heart girls, Amerika is becoming more like the rest of the world everyday - won't be long before anyone can afford to play any sport but soccer - like most of world.

pbmax
07-02-2014, 09:08 AM
We save you guys from Germany in 2 World Wars and this is the thanks we get? :wink:

NUTS! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Kinnard)

pbmax
07-02-2014, 09:26 AM
Joe: I agree about Beckerman as the announcers and Twitter denizens were curious before the match about why. The color analyst said it was about defending set pieces and crosses as Cameron is taller. That worked, but it cost them in possession.

Teamcheez1: I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I bet football, basketball and baseball/hockey have more full time scholarships available than the soccer team does, in terms of fielding a team with some backups. Non-revenue sports often have less than a starting lineup of full rides and then several partials available.

(nevermind, didn't read the second paragraph of your post)

Fritz: Agreed, Belgium played pretty straight up with fouls/collisions. I have to say one problem that the World Cup setup (maybe universal I don't know) is that with one ref who call stop play for an injury, you have to stay down to get attention or a sub. It makes diving and staying down attractive. Perhaps they could make the team of the injured player play with 10 for the time the player is down.

wootah
07-02-2014, 10:34 AM
I will be rooting for Belgium (until they play Germany; sorry Woot).

That can only happen in the finals. I can live with that :)

pbmax
07-02-2014, 10:44 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcsVz6jo5MM&feature=youtu.be

Joemailman
07-02-2014, 10:53 AM
Cameroon's football federation investigating allegations of match fixing by their team:

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2014/07/01/cameroon-world-cup-match-fixing

Fecafoot said in a statement late Monday it had instructed its own ethics committee to open an investigation, although it added it had not yet been contacted by FIFA, the sport's global governing body.

Cameroon was eliminated after losing all three of its group-stage matches at the World Cup: 1-0 to Mexico, 4-0 to Croatia and 4-1 to host Brazil.

''Recent allegations of fraud around Cameroon's three 2014 FIFA World Cup preliminary games, especially Cameroon vs. Croatia, as well as the `existence of seven bad apples (in our national team)' do not reflect the values and principles promotes by our administration in line with the FIFA Code of Conduct and the ethics of our nation,'' Fecafoot said in the statement.

The Croatia match was also marred by an argument between Cameroon teammates Benoit Assou-Ekotto and Benjamin Moukandjo that ended with Assou-Ekotto head-butting his teammate.

Joemailman
07-02-2014, 11:38 AM
Andrew Katz ✔ @katz

What an immense #BELvsUSA game. Congrats to Belgium. Expect drones.
5:33 PM - 1 Jul 2014

Guiness
07-02-2014, 12:48 PM
Andrew Katz ✔ @katz

What an immense #BELvsUSA game. Congrats to Belgium. Expect drones.
5:33 PM - 1 Jul 2014

lol. Delivering congratulatory pizza, right?

Guiness
07-02-2014, 01:06 PM
16 saves by Howard, the most in WC history since 1966. Don't get me wrong, guys: no disrespect to him or any of you, but we might have the best GK in the world on our team and behind him is Mignolet who was playing for the EPL title with Liverpool until the last day. Great game by Howard, but I value the other 2 a bit higher.

15 years ago, our soccer federation changed their your development program and now a very talented generation is stepping up. Adnan Januzaj, considered the biggest young talent in the world, didn't even come of the bench yesterday. Sure if soccer was your nr1 sport, and all public focus (money) and quality coaches (money) would be pointed towards it, you guys would dominate. But just seeing at the volume of players you currently have, you should have been able to develop some better players. It's not a coincidence that your best players have spend their youth/whole life in Europe. That's not because they are more talented than the Lebrons or Jadeveons, it's because they have better coaching there and can thus play on a higher level there.

2,5million male players is an ENORMOUS base to tap from. Uruguay has a little over 3 million total inhabitants and see what kind of team they can provide from such a little pool of available players.

I have to laugh a bit with the WW refences guys :D We also eliminated Russia in the first round, so it seems we're betraying all the allies ;-) I'm not a Walloon btw; I prefer to stay away from the Flemish/Walloon thing and I consider myself a true Belgian. So... Vive la Belgique / Leve België :)

Thanks for a very good post. The base of players to draw from obviously matters, but culture impacts it so much. China and India aren't making waves. Canada struggles despite youth soccer numbers steadily climbing, now higher than hockey, but, well, I just can't say it's taken seriously after a certain point.

I find the choice of athletes you bring up, Lebron and Jadeveon interesting though. Physique-wise, is it even possible for them to translate their talents to a soccer pitch at the highest level? There are some second and third tier players at 6'8" (James' height), I don't know that he would be able to last 90 minutes carrying that frame around. Clowney, maybe if he dropped 30 or so pounds.

Looking at the Packers, guys I look at and see playing soccer would be Driver, Nelson and Cobb, from the other side of the ball, maybe Hawk and Ha Ha? Shields has an interesting skill set as well.

hoosier
07-02-2014, 01:58 PM
I thought now that the Collectivist States of Amerika lost in the Commie Cup, you ballarinas would go back to reading Marx and dying your hair pink...

Take heart girls, Amerika is becoming more like the rest of the world everyday - won't be long before anyone can afford to play any sport but soccer - like most of world.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-6gapmIfnVn8/T6NIxvzINpI/AAAAAAAABYU/vS2YWCUpQ-4/s400/general_ripper_quote.jpg

Joemailman
07-02-2014, 03:28 PM
Patrick Osgood @PatrickOsgood
Follow
Difference between Tim Howard and Jesus - Jesus had 11 guys he could trust
5:05 PM - 1 Jul 2014

pbmax
07-02-2014, 04:03 PM
The Confederate States of America called and want their acronym back.

Freak Out
07-02-2014, 04:30 PM
Some greats posts in here guys. Just bustin your balls woot. I just find Flemish/Walloon nationalist type situations fascinating. The Belgian team is loaded for bear, that's for sure. I saw a story the other day about how France basically fielded three teams in the WC.

pbmax
07-02-2014, 04:40 PM
Flemish/Walloon complexities aren't the only European questions raised by the World Cup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-csGDoSSZyc

Joemailman
07-02-2014, 06:17 PM
http://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2014/07/02/tim-howard-save-meme

11 things Tim Howard could save.

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb449/route25/janet-jackson.jpg (http://s1206.photobucket.com/user/route25/media/janet-jackson.jpg.html)

KYPack
07-02-2014, 08:20 PM
To be in the top echelons of Soccer, you have to do a lot of boring stuff. Infrastructure things. Youth organizations with appropriate coching, select sides, more collge pgms, all that shit.

& I think it's starting to happen.

I really liked the current coach.

A thing that is happening is the development of MLS. That league is profitable and has a lucrative TV deal. that builds interest and leads young kids to the sport. When soccer gets it's full allotment from the pool of super US athletes, the sport will do better on the ol' international pitch.

pbmax
07-02-2014, 08:56 PM
Not going to lie. Wouldn't have minded soccer madness lasting about another 23 days...
(http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/264005581.html)

wootah
07-03-2014, 09:27 AM
I find the choice of athletes you bring up, Lebron and Jadeveon interesting though. Physique-wise, is it even possible for them to translate their talents to a soccer pitch at the highest level? There are some second and third tier players at 6'8" (James' height), I don't know that he would be able to last 90 minutes carrying that frame around. Clowney, maybe if he dropped 30 or so pounds.

Players of that size are rare in soccer; to dribble or to defend against dribblers agility is very important and with the ball on the ground instead of in the hands, these guys have a disadvantage. The really tall guys are mostly goalies (Courtois is 6'6). Peter Crouch is 6'7 but with a Manute Bol like body but I do remember Jan Koller, a very good Czech striker & dominant force in the air, making a nice international career at 6'8, but he definately didn't have the other physical traits of the top basketball players.

http://a.imdoc.fr/1/forme-et-sport/rsca/photo/9608433960/181743449eb/rsca-koller-radzinski-attaque-img.jpg

Naturally, the conditional aspect is very different in soccer with comparison to the NFL. In the game against the US Fellaini (6'4) ran over 10 miles in total (at different speeds, of course); you cannot carry too much weight/muscles for that.

hoosier
07-03-2014, 10:58 AM
Naturally, the conditional aspect is very different in soccer with comparison to the NFL. In the game against the US Fellaini (6'4) ran over 10 miles in total (at different speeds, of course); you cannot carry too much weight/muscles for that.

Meh, I'm not sure I am buying the argument about different conditioning. Running 8-10 miles is no major accomplishment, even for amateur runners who aren't elite athletes. Granted, an NFL lineman isn't going to be able to dart and weave the way Lionel Messi can, but anyone can run 15k if they work up to it.

Guiness
07-03-2014, 03:23 PM
Meh, I'm not sure I am buying the argument about different conditioning. Running 8-10 miles is no major accomplishment, even for amateur runners who aren't elite athletes. Granted, an NFL lineman isn't going to be able to dart and weave the way Lionel Messi can, but anyone can run 15k if they work up to it.

I think you're severely underestimating the fitness level required by the players. Yes, pretty much anyone can train up to running 10 miles in 90 minutes, a quick walk is 4.5mph, that's more than halfway there. It's more than just stamina, it's the ability to make those sprints after being out there for 88 minutes, push and shove, and as you said, dart and weave. It's far from 'meh'. You think all those guys pulling up with locked hamstrings were just out of shape??

Guiness
07-03-2014, 03:24 PM
7 players on the German team coming down with flu-like symptoms
http://www.cbssports.com/world-cup/eye-on-world-cup/24606452/report-seven-german-players-including-muller-ill-ahead-of-quarters

This is a pretty good rivalry, as well. The Germans and French are not each other's biggest fans by any means.

hoosier
07-03-2014, 03:42 PM
I think you're severely underestimating the fitness level required by the players. Yes, pretty much anyone can train up to running 10 miles in 90 minutes, a quick walk is 4.5mph, that's more than halfway there. It's more than just stamina, it's the ability to make those sprints after being out there for 88 minutes, push and shove, and as you said, dart and weave. It's far from 'meh'. You think all those guys pulling up with locked hamstrings were just out of shape??

No, I'm not comparing WC soccer players to your average runner, I am just saying that the "distance run" metric isn't a very good indicator of fitness--because even a 40-something slob like me can get up every morning and run 10k in 45 minutes with no problem. I have no doubt that world class soccer players are world class athletes, same or very similar to skill position players in football. I do doubt that there is a "conditioning" difference between the two sports. No doubt there are different skill sets involved but the underlying "conditioning" demands--which I'm assuming in this discussion means what it normally means, cardiovascular fitness--are approximately the same for players in either sport.*

* 375 lb. linemen not included

wootah
07-03-2014, 04:29 PM
For a midfielder in average 1/4 of the distance covered is walking, 1/2 is jogging, 1/8 running and 1/8 sprinting. There is a huge difference with football IMO, just alone in the type of muscles that are trained. Football is power and fast twitch muscles. Soccer is a combination of endurance and interval sprinting. No doubt the NFL players will be faster and stronger, but I think that they wouldn't be able to run anymore in the 2nd half.

Football players don’t have a lot of time to travel very far. According to the Wall Street Journal, the average NFL game includes only 11 minutes of actual playing time. Receivers and cornerbacks run the most at just over one mile a game.

http://www.runnersworld.com/fun/distance-run-per-game-in-various-sports

Guiness
07-03-2014, 05:49 PM
Football players don’t have a lot of time to travel very far. According to the Wall Street Journal, the average NFL game includes only 11 minutes of actual playing time. Receivers and cornerbacks run the most at just over one mile a game.

A mile a game...comprised of series of 20, 40 and 60 yards dashes spaced apart by a minute or so each.

I watched an NFL game with a rugby player who had recently arrived here from England, and he was astounded at a kick returner getting oxygen on the sidelines 5 minutes into the game (guy had just returned a kickoff for a TD). Couldn't wrap his head around that compared to other sports where substitutions are much more limited.

Cheesehead Craig
07-03-2014, 08:14 PM
because even a 40-something slob like me can get up every morning and run 10k in 45 minutes with no problem.

False. Running a 7 minute mile pace over that distance is not something anyone can just do. That takes a lot of work. I think you're selling this short by quite a bit.

red
07-03-2014, 08:16 PM
7 players on the German team coming down with flu-like symptoms
http://www.cbssports.com/world-cup/eye-on-world-cup/24606452/report-seven-german-players-including-muller-ill-ahead-of-quarters

This is a pretty good rivalry, as well. The Germans and French are not each other's biggest fans by any means.

the french have come up with a new way of defending the germans i heard. the french players will form an "Impenetrable line", comprised of all 11 players to the left of the goal, and hope the germans don't figure out that they can walk around the wall to the right and capture the goal with ease

KYPack
07-04-2014, 07:58 AM
the french have come up with a new way of defending the germans i heard. the french players will form an "Impenetrable line", comprised of all 11 players to the left of the goal, and hope the germans don't figure out that they can walk around the wall to the right and capture the goal with ease

Funny, Red.

Guiness
07-04-2014, 09:38 AM
Funny, Red.

Cringe worthy, really.

Freak Out
07-04-2014, 01:21 PM
Belgium wasn't there to help them. :)

wootah
07-04-2014, 03:31 PM
Great game going on at the moment!

Cheesehead Craig
07-04-2014, 03:38 PM
Go Germany!

Freak Out
07-04-2014, 04:59 PM
What kind of team will Brasil field on Tuesday? Wow...strange game. Way to much flopping. Germany is licking their chops right now.

wootah
07-04-2014, 05:03 PM
And then such a horrible 2nd half. 55 fouls in 1 game :/

pbmax
07-04-2014, 05:13 PM
Dear Brasil, you shouldn't have started to play defense only so early.

red
07-04-2014, 05:26 PM
What kind of team will Brasil field on Tuesday? Wow...strange game. Way to much flopping. Germany is licking their chops right now.

i hope the germans roll them up like the french and belgiums against the schlieffen plan

Guiness
07-04-2014, 07:08 PM
Reports are that Neymar has a fractured vertebra!

red
07-04-2014, 07:14 PM
Reports are that Neymar has a fractured vertebra!

yup, he's out of the cup

http://www.espnfc.us/fifa-world-cup/story/1932881/neymar-stretchered-off-in-brazil-win

that should just about end brazils chances

pbmax
07-04-2014, 07:35 PM
That free kick that David hit was unreal. Is a knuckleball the usually result of their kicks or is it something they are just using with the World Cup ball?

Freak Out
07-04-2014, 07:46 PM
That free kick that David hit was unreal. Is a knuckleball the usually result of their kicks or is it something they are just using with the World Cup ball?

That was a thing of beauty. He is known for his knucklers...but a few keepers are saying this ball is a real floater.

red
07-04-2014, 08:17 PM

great players can usually make the ball bend to their will

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdL7EDKr_rk

wootah
07-05-2014, 03:22 AM

Bad positioning of the goalie IMO: at the moment of the kick, he stands in the middle of the goal behind his wall, so he only sees the ball coming when it's too late.

Brasil simply kicking the ball upfield without even pretending they wanted to play after the 2-0 is sth I've never seen before. Just awful.

pbmax
07-05-2014, 09:37 AM
Bad positioning of the goalie IMO: at the moment of the kick, he stands in the middle of the goal behind his wall, so he only sees the ball coming when it's too late.

Brasil simply kicking the ball upfield without even pretending they wanted to play after the 2-0 is sth I've never seen before. Just awful.

Red's video of Carlo's kick displays the risk with taking a view of the kick from one side of the wall. He started out in the wrong place.

pbmax
07-05-2014, 09:41 AM
That was a thing of beauty. He is known for his knucklers...but a few keepers are saying this ball is a real floater.

It was and it also explains a lot of the kicks that go wayward, if they are all trying to knuckle the ball, then you are gong to get unexpected movement.

Red's video has the movement I would expect, normal spin and a curve. But there hasn't been much of that in this tournament, especially from free kicks in front of the goal.

wootah
07-05-2014, 10:34 AM
Red's vid is a miracle on grass. Such a curve has never been done since. A GK should defend the far corner and have a view on the ball.

It's easier to score in the open space next to the wall than to curve around or over it.

pbmax
07-05-2014, 10:50 AM
Zonal Marking blames the Beckerman move and the US insistence on gettings its midfield upfield for offense (due to Altidore's absence). A baffling combination of choices, apparently, given Cameron's inexperience as a holding mid-fielder. He has heard it was about the mobility of Cameron, but on Game Day and in coverage the next day, it was presumed to be about height and playing set pieces.

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2014/07/03/belgium-2-1-usa-belgium-dominate-but-takes-ages-to-make-the-breakthrough/

Belgium 2-1 USA: Belgium dominate but take ages to make the breakthrough
July 3, 2014

USA put up a brilliant fight in extra-time, but Belgium had been the superior side for the majority.

Marc Wilmots selected Divock Origi upfront, rather than the underwhelming Romelu Lukaku.

http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee512/zonal_marking/usa-belg_zpsaa3a5a88.jpg

Jurgen Klinsmann brought Alejandro Bedoya back into the side, and made the surprising decision to select Geoff Cameron rather than Kyle Beckerman in midfield, supposedly because of his greater mobility.

This was a tremendously entertaining game, but Belgium should have put it to bed much earlier – only a tremendous goalkeeping display from Tim Howard kept USA in it.

USA midfield very open

The key factor was a direct result of the most surprising selection decision. Beckerman and Jermaine Jones had worked excellently as a duo throughout this competition, and bringing in Cameron in a (relatively) unfamiliar position didn’t make much sense.

The game was played at great pace, with both teams attempting to play high up the pitch and dominate. Belgium were so much quicker on the counter-attack, however, and they continually found oceans of space in the centre of midfield, often both in front of, and behind, the USA midfield.

Cameron simply seemed unnatural in that zone, positioning himself too high up the pitch and getting drawn to Belgium’s midfielders, rather than sitting back and protecting his defence – as Beckerman does so well. Cameron’s booking, on 18 minutes, for a terribly cynical foul to break up a Dries Mertens counter-attack suggested that, frankly, he didn’t know how to play the holding position.

De Bruyne influence

The major beneficiary was Kevin De Bruyne, who constantly uses space so effectively, drifting laterally across the pitch to collect the ball on the run. His end product, was consistently extremely disappointing throughout the game, with too many wayward passes and blocked shots. But USA never really got to grips with De Bruyne, and he created a stream of half-chances and almost-chances.

The best example was after seven minutes, when Michael Bradley was on the left just inside the Belgium ‘third’, and played a lateral pass towards both Jones and Cameron making late runs to the edge of the box. The ball reached Jones, but his touch was poor and possession was conceded. Now, Jan Vertonghen led a counter-attack with USA’s three midfielders all in advance of the ball, and De Bruyne with 20 yards of space to himself, running into the opposition half. De Bruyne received the ball and overhit his pass to Origi, with Matt Besler closing in to put him off.

There were other examples – on 22 minutes Zusi was caught in possession and De Bruyne ended up with a counter-attacking goalscoring chance, cutting inside and pulling his shot just wide.

These moments epitomised the problems USA had throughout this contest – no-one was holding in midfield. It’s difficult to remember another side at this World Cup leaving their defence so open throughout the game, and there were so, so many examples of dangerous Belgium counter-attacks. They were incredibly wasteful once they got into the final third, although the USA defence deserves credit for a frantic last-ditch response.

Origi was partly responsible for the Belgiaun wastefulness, but he nevertheless contributed much more than Lukaku in Belgium’s previous games – his movement into the channels was better, and his link play with the attacking midfielders was also more effective.

Belgium’s dominance did produce a brilliant goalkeeping display from Howard, though – maybe the best of the tournament. Although a few of his saves looked comfortable, his positioning throughout the game was excellent, often moving forward into advanced positions to close down the angle of the shot.

This is something Howard has worked upon over the last couple of years and has been particularly obvious in this competition. It was particularly useful considering Belgium’s attacks often flowed very quickly and involved breaking directly towards Howard – he had plenty of time to move forward from his line and anticipate the shot.

It shouldn’t be inferred that USA were completely battered, and their bravery in midfield did put pressure upon Axel Witsel, who was sometimes overwhelmed in the holding role.

The major zones of strength for Klinsmann’s side were down the flanks, however, where both DaMarcus Beasley and DeAndre Yedlin (on for Fabian Johnson, who picked up an early injury) sprinted forward energetically to create overloads with USA’s wide midfielders. This pushed Eden Hazard and Mertens back into uncomfortable positions – neither are good defensively.

Belgium gave as good as they got in this respect, though, with Jan Vertonghen – who has overlapped well throughout this tournament – storming past Zusi a couple of times and getting in behind the defence. As ever, the final ball was lacking.

Pattern continues

The funny thing about this game was the lack of early changes from the bench, despite USA being so open and Belgium being so frustrating in the final third. Both managers seemed happy enough with the situation of the game. The tempo slowed after half-time and this probably suited Klinsmann’s side, but the broad pattern of the first half continued.

Substitutions played a key role, though, in the closing stages and extra-time. Klinsmann throwing on Chris Wondolowski in place of Zusi was a staggeringly bold move in such an open game, although the striker did get himself into a great goalscoring position shortly before the end of normal time. Still, it further opened up the pitch for Belgian counter-attacks, and through some high-profile replacements, Wilmots finally got his side ahead. Belgium have continually struck late throughout this World Cup.

Kevin Mirallas had already replaced Dries Mertens to introduce sheer speed, and in extra-time Lukaku added even more pace upfront, in place of Origi. Wilmots also switched De Bruyne and Hazard, which was probably just an attempt to try something different rather than a calculated tactical switch.

Either way, Belgium finally made the breakthrough with Lukaku teeing up De Bruyne on the break, before De Bruyne returned the favour for Lukaku ten minutes later. The opportunities hadn’t been any more presentable than in the first half, Belgium were simply more efficient in front of goal.

Then came an inspired USA fightback. Substitute Julian Green, on for Bedoya, scored a consolation goal and his side rallied. Those final 13 minutes were extremely impressive, with the goal seemingly giving the USA another gear and simultaneously making Belgium even more tired.

Bradley, Jones and Cameron, so frustrating in the first half because of their collective insistence on running high up the pitch and leaving space in behind, were now perfect for the situation – a desperate fightback. Witsel and Marouane Fellaini looked exhausted, and Wilmots’ refusal to bring on another midfielder, or even strengthen his defence, was remarkable. He left his side open to constant attacks, and few other sides have exited the competition with such an impressive late rally as this from the United States.

Conclusion

Belgium made hard work of this – USA afforded them so many counter-attacking opportunities, that it’s difficult to work out how they needed 120 minutes to win. It’s worrying that a side took so long to score against an opposition that completely played into their hands.

Perhaps the major lesson from today, with Di Maria and then De Bruyne making the breakthrough in their sides’ victories, is that teams are much better off with a heavily involved but constantly frustrating player, than someone struggling to get into the game. Both Di Maria and De Bruyne made some very poor decisions over the course of 120 minutes, but eventually got one right.

USA have shown some glimpses of real quality, and this game fits into the pattern from throughout the competition – they’re best when they need a goal.

However, they’re rather fortunate to exit this competition as battling, narrowly defeated heroes – they should have been at least 2-0 down by half-time, and Klinsmann’s tactics would have been much more heavily criticised. The decision to drop Beckerman seemed strange on paper, turned out to be counter-productive on the pitch, and there was no attempt to solve the problem. Howard was absolutely fantastic, but if your goalkeeper has to make a record-breaking number of saves, something has gone wrong higher up the pitch.

wist43
07-05-2014, 01:07 PM
Max, why don't you just admit it - you're going Eurogay, and American Football is too brutish for you anymore!!!

My 2 year old boy cut his knee and elbow pretty good yesterday chasing after candy at the 4th of July parade... pretty good cuts, decent amount of blood. Never missed a beat, just kept after the candy, lol...

My 13 year old nephew, whose mommy won't let him play any sports but soccer b/c the other sports are "too rough" - piped up, and showed us his major wound from playing soccer - a little scratch on his elbow, lol...

My 2 year old is tougher than that kid, lol...

Guiness
07-05-2014, 01:39 PM

I'm sure Bebeto, Romario and the rest of the disciples of Brazil's fabulous 'one touch soccer' era are not at all happy with the way their national side's play has changed. How much time do these guys get to play together? Maybe it's not possible to have the sort of cohesion necessary for that style of play, so they rely simply on raw skill.

Guiness
07-05-2014, 01:56 PM
Some sour grapes out of Donavan

http://www.cbssports.com/world-cup/eye-on-world-cup/24606043/donovan-on-us-team-i-dont-think-we-were-set-up-to-succeed

It's pretty obvious that he was left off the team for reasons other than simple skill. He would've added depth that ended up being necessary, at the expense of building for the future by bringing young guys and getting them international exposure.

This most reminds me of was Bob Clarke leaving Mark Messier off the Canadian Olympic hockey team for the Nagano Olympics. It was because Messier is too strong a leader and presence, and would've overshadowed his boy, Eric Lindros, whom he made captain of the team. Result: a dismal performance, with Canada not bringing home any medal at all.

The difference of course, is that Klinsman got a good result, and Green proved worth it even with his limited minutes, and he might well be the future of the US side. Would they have fared better with Donavan available when Altidore went down. I know, different position and not a direct replacement, but would've given the US side more latitude to rejig things.

pbmax
07-05-2014, 02:20 PM
A former player is in a tough spot if they want to saying anything revealing or useful. He isn't a coach and I am sure his opinion is the same now as a player. I am sure he favors doing what he would have favored as a player in the match. He muted the criticism by acknowledging that it was easy to second guess after the match.

He also has never seemed at ease with media, even on the Dan Patrick show, where they love to have him, its always an awkward interview. He was terrible on ESPN/ABC.

It is interesting to note that unlike Zonal Markings and other who are dinging Klinsman for substituting Cameron for Beckerman, Donovan wanted MORE of an attack.

As for the usefulness of Donovan on the field, he would have made it easier for Bradley not to have to join the offense so often which might have helped his game and the defense.