PDA

View Full Version : Official 2015 Free Agency/Contract Extension Thread

Pages : [1] 2

Joemailman
02-11-2015, 11:09 AM
Might be a good idea to again have a thread like this so we don't end up with 50 different threads about Free Agency.

Key Dates:

Feb. 10 Beginning at Noon ET, NFL clubs may begin to sign players whose 2014 CFL contracts have expired. Players under contract to a CFL club for the 2015 season or who have an option for the 2015 season are not eligible to be signed

Feb. 16 First day for clubs to designate Franchise or Transition Players

March 2 Prior to 4 p.m. ET, deadline for clubs to designate Franchise or Transition Players

March 7-10 Clubs are permitted to contact, and enter into contract negotiations with the certified agents of players who will become Unrestricted Free Agents upon the expiration of their 2014 contracts at 4 p.m. ET on March 10. However, a contract cannot be executed with a new club until 4 p.m. ET on March 10
March 10 Prior to 4 p.m. ET, clubs must exercise options for 2015 on all players who have option clauses in their 2014 contracts

Prior to 4 p.m. ET, clubs must submit qualifying offers to their Restricted Free Agents with expiring contracts and to whom they desire to retain a Right of First Refusal/Compensation

Prior to 4 p.m. ET, clubs must submit a Minimum Salary Tender to retain exclusive negotiating rights to their players with expiring 2014 contracts and who have fewer than three accrued seasons of free agency credit

Top-51 Begins. All clubs must be under the 2015 salary cap prior to 4 p.m. ET

Joemailman
02-11-2015, 11:14 AM
Broncos may franchise Demaryius Thomas if necessary. That would be about 13 million. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000469882/article/demaryius-thomas-broncos-headed-for-franchise-tag

Seahawks waiting to see if Marshawn Lynch wants to keep playing or retire. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000469777/article/seahawks-waiting-on-lynch-to-decide-his-future

The Seattle Seahawks know Marshawn Lynch is the heartbeat of their offense, however they don't know if the running back has decided he's done beating for them.

In a radio interview Tuesday on KIRO-AM, general manager John Schneider said that the team is waiting for Lynch to decide on whether he will retire or return.

"Whether or not he wants to play next year, I can't answer that," Schneider said. "I don't know if he knows at this juncture."

Schneider added Lynch's decision "might not happen overnight," but if he returns the team plans to re-do the running back's contract.

"Obviously we think he's a hell of a player," Schneider said. "We want to have him back, he knows that, his representatives know that. He knows that if he's back he's not going to be playing at the same number he's scheduled to make."

Lynch is entering the final year of a four-year, $31 million deal and was slated to make $5 million in 2015. NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported prior to the Super Bowl that the Seahawks have offered Lynch a "huge contract extension," believed to include more than $10 million in 2015.

However, before any deal gets done, Schneider is waiting to hear if Beast Mode wants to take on another grind.

"It's hard for these guys, it's a long season," Schneider said. "We've played a lot of football these last two years. Especially the way this guy runs the ball, it's taxing on his body."

Cheesehead Craig
02-11-2015, 03:00 PM
Lynch retires that's a big help from the cap perspective, but that's a big dropoff in talent at RB there. Given that team's success is based on how well they run the ball then they better hope he sticks around another year otherwise that window will close awful quickly.

Joemailman
02-11-2015, 04:06 PM
Interesting move by Schneider here. He's talking to the press about the Lynch situation, probably figuring based on the past that Lynch won't. He gets his side of the story out without a response from the other side.

Joemailman
02-11-2015, 04:12 PM
Colts release safety LaRon Landry, offensive tackle Xavier Nixon and linebacker Andrew Jackson. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/11/colts-release-laron-landry-waive-andrew-jackson-xavier-nixon/

While the release of Landry could well be tied to finances, the departures of Nixon and Jackson could be not-so-subtle messages to the rest of the roster.

A reserve offensive lineman, Nixon missed the team flight to New England for the AFC title game in January. The 24-year-old Nixon played four games for Indianapolis in 2014, starting one.

Jackson, meanwhile, pled guilty to a driving under the influence charge in January, according to the Indianapolis Star. It was his second DUI charge in less than a year’s span, per the Star.

MadScientist
02-11-2015, 04:17 PM
When will the 2015 cap number be announced?

Joemailman
02-11-2015, 05:24 PM
When will the 2015 cap number be announced?

Don't know. What we have for now is this:

Jason La Canfora ✔ @JasonLaCanfora
Follow

NFL Management Council informed teams at league meeting today '15 cap projects b/n $138.6M-$141.8M. I bet it ends up higher. Often does
10:13 PM - 9 Dec 2014.

Using the higher figure, the Packers have about 24 million in cap space. That's before they cut Hawk and Jones.

woodbuck27
02-12-2015, 05:11 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25061883/report-ndamukong-suh-wants-to-sign-with-seahawkscraigslist

Report: Ndamukong Suh wants to sign with Seahawks

By: Jared Dubin | CBSSports.com staff

February 7, 2015 1:45 pm ET

Comment woodbuck27:

Yet here's the reality check:

http://mynorthwest.com/292/2705636/Suh-interested-in-Seahawks-but-logistics-are-in-the-way

Suh interested in Seahawks, but logistics are in the way

By: Brady Henderson, 710 ESPN Seattle | February 6, 2015 @ 5:42 pm

woodbuck27
02-12-2015, 05:23 AM
Comment[/B] woodbuck27:

Yet here's the reality check:

Suh interested in Seahawks, but logistics are in the way

Then there's this article which I discovered was interesting and comprehensibly revealing as to just how Seattle may blueprint this off season and that accounts for certain risk:

http://seahawksdraftblog.com/ndamukong-suh-seattles-full-on-aggressive-off-season

Ndamukong Suh: Seattle’s full-on aggressive off-season

February 10th, 2015 | Written by Rob Staton

"...according to Davis Hsu — it’s not the pipe dream we perhaps first imagined. You’d have to make cuts elsewhere. But Hsu has calculated you would be able to keep Brandon Mebane in 2015. Presumably it would mean cutting ties with Zach Miller and Tony McDaniel to raise an additional $6m. That seems like an acceptable trade-off. ..."

Comment woodbuck27:

The fan (other) comments attached to this article may be of interest also.

denverYooper
02-12-2015, 08:18 AM
Colts release safety LaRon Landry, offensive tackle Xavier Nixon and linebacker Andrew Jackson. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/11/colts-release-laron-landry-waive-andrew-jackson-xavier-nixon/

Andrew Jackson's worth about 20 bucks.

denverYooper
02-12-2015, 08:28 AM
Then there's this article which I discovered was interesting and comprehensibly revealing as to just how Seattle may blueprint this off season and that accounts for certain risk:

http://seahawksdraftblog.com/ndamukong-suh-seattles-full-on-aggressive-off-season

Ndamukong Suh: Seattle’s full-on aggressive off-season

February 10th, 2015 | Written by Rob Staton

"...according to Davis Hsu — it’s not the pipe dream we perhaps first imagined. You’d have to make cuts elsewhere. But Hsu has calculated you would be able to keep Brandon Mebane in 2015. Presumably it would mean cutting ties with Zach Miller and Tony McDaniel to raise an additional $6m. That seems like an acceptable trade-off. ..."

Comment woodbuck27:

The fan (other) comments attached to this article may be of interest also.

Day after the superbowl, there was a Seattle blogger on our local drivetime show speculating that Wilson and Lynch would probably do some kind of team friendly deal because they "knew they had the chance to do something special" in the next few years.

Yeah.

The point is that this is the second time I've come across some Seattle blogger pitching the kind of pie-in-the sky idea that you might otherwise see on a fan forum.

denverYooper
02-12-2015, 08:30 AM
I've seen a lot of mentions of the Seahawks probably not being able to re-sign Byron Maxwell. Tom Brady showed you what that dropoff looks like against a competent offense.

smuggler
02-12-2015, 09:32 AM
Life sucks in free agency when you actually have to pay for your quarterback. Haha!

pbmax
02-12-2015, 10:35 AM
Day after the superbowl, there was a Seattle blogger on our local drivetime show speculating that Wilson and Lynch would probably do some kind of team friendly deal because they "knew they had the chance to do something special" in the next few years.

Yeah.

The point is that this is the second time I've come across some Seattle blogger pitching the kind of pie-in-the sky idea that you might otherwise see on a fan forum.

I could see Wilson doing it, maybe Paul Allen gets him a summer internship with Microsoft.

But Lynch is already mad at the team. Unless he has no choice, and even as a RB he would seem to have a choice, I can't see him swallowing his pride again for a below market deal.

woodbuck27
02-14-2015, 01:05 PM
I could see Wilson doing it, maybe Paul Allen gets him a summer internship with Microsoft.

But Lynch is already mad at the team. Unless he has no choice, and even as a RB he would seem to have a choice, I can't see him swallowing his pride again for a below market deal.

Marshawn Lynch is so mad at the Seattle Seahawks that he runs like crazy...scores TD like crazy rushing and via the pass?

He's so crazy mad at his team that he's clearly the top or a top two RB in the NFL He's really mad !

What can the Packers do to really piss of Eddie Lacy? Maybe that inverse psychology won't act the same.

Maybe Marshawn Lynch plays as incredibly good as he does? Because he does love his teammates and that's why he informs us that he does.

Seattle needs to understand their RB's commitment and the offer upgrade his salary for next season has been recognized as generous. Presently he'll make a salary of $5 M$ and receive bonus's of $3.5 M$ for a CAP hit of $8.5 M$. Add the offered increase of $5 M$ for next season and a contract extension is a strong incentive.

I believe this 28 year old RB will swallow (any pride issue?) to return for a real shot again at Super Bowl L.

There might be an issue with this. Marshawn Lynch is possibly over utilized where his body takes a lot of punishment. There's a life to think of after the NFL. It piss's off a lot of people that the NFL is dogging this man when he's one of the best things available to market the NFL. Why all the harsh attention? The NFL sickens me in regards to this mans rights to simply be himself. The NFL doesn't look good as the bully.

That aside...An extra $5 Million plus endorsements that's he's already worked hard for and at a cost to the NFL will pay for a lot of goodwill towards the underprivileged youth in Oakland (anywhere).

woodbuck27
02-14-2015, 01:46 PM
The Packers issue and the ILB Position

Here are some of the better ILB's possibly available in Free Agency:

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2015ILB.php

There isn't much here that looks like a perfect fit yet I do think a look at Buffsalo's Brandon Spikes may be warranted. Buffalo may offer him another 1 year contract and sign him?

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/brandon-spikes/

Do you recall the way he played as a New England Patriot?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd2bZxm8cJY

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5762/brandon-spikes

Pugger
02-14-2015, 02:54 PM
Life sucks in free agency when you actually have to pay for your quarterback. Haha!

Yup, both Seattle and Indy are going find out quick. :grin:

Joemailman
02-15-2015, 07:50 AM
A bunch of other wide receivers could be joining the free agent list. These are guys who could be released due to big cap numbers in 2015:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000470287/article/cap-cuts-could-infuse-receiver-market-with-star-power

1. Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals: $23.6 million

2. Percy Harvin, Jets: $10.5 million.

3. Brandon Marshall, Bears: Marshall's $7.5 million salary becomes fully guaranteed if he's on the roster by the third day of the league year -- March 12.

4. Vincent Jackson, Buccaneers: $12.2 cap number for 2015.

5. Mike Wallace, Dolphins: $9.85 million.

6. Dwayne Bowe, Chiefs: $10.75 million.

7. Greg Jennings, Vikings: $11 million .

8. Marques Colston, Saints: $10 million.

Joemailman
02-15-2015, 08:02 AM
According to http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/, the Saints are 23 million over the cap. No wonder Ryan Pace left to become the Bears GM. A bunch of Saints are about to go marching out.

KYPack
02-15-2015, 09:23 AM
A bunch of other wide receivers could be joining the free agent list. These are guys who could be released due to big cap numbers in 2015:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000470287/article/cap-cuts-could-infuse-receiver-market-with-star-power

3. Brandon Marshall, Bears: Marshall's $7.5 million salary becomes fully guaranteed if he's on the roster by the third day of the league year -- March 12.

During the season, somebody posted the WR FA list. it looked like gold. Now, this list looks like shit.

Bowe and Marshall will probably get re-signed, the rest are gone.

Joemailman
02-15-2015, 09:57 AM
During the season, somebody posted the WR FA list. it looked like gold. Now, this list looks like shit.

Bowe and Marshall will probably get re-signed, the rest are gone.

I doubt Bowe. Classic underachiever. No TD's and no 100 yard games in 2014. Bunch of 40-60 yard games. I think Fitz can still play pretty well for somebody. His numbers fell off this year when they got down to 3rd string at QB.

KYPack
02-15-2015, 10:04 AM
I doubt Bowe. Classic underachiever. No TD's and no 100 yard games in 2014. Bunch of 40-60 yard games. I think Fitz can still play pretty well for somebody. His numbers fell off this year when they got down to 3rd string at QB.

You are probably right on Bowe.

Fitz can play, but not at that $ level.

Wallace and Harvin may have played their way out of the league.

digitaldean
02-15-2015, 10:09 AM
The only one on that entire list that I would take is Fitz, but it'd have to be at a WAY lower salary. Jennings was outplayed by Charles Johnson in MN, Colston made too many mistakes last year and Bowe flat out stole his paychecks. NO TDs for an entire season???

woodbuck27
02-15-2015, 10:09 AM

With a $14.4 M$ Dead Cap number... Larry Fitzerald remains a Cardinal.

Also...he's still considered the face of that organization.

woodbuck27
02-15-2015, 10:19 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/14/jets-wont-pick-up-chris-johnsons-option-making-him-a-free-agent/

Jets won’t pick up Chris Johnson’s option, making him a free agent

Posted by Darin Gantt on February 14, 2015, 2:30 PM EST

woodbuck27
02-15-2015, 10:38 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/14/davon-house-i-think-my-film-shows-im-a-starter/

Davon House: “I think my film shows I’m a starter”

Posted by Mike Wilkening on February 14, 2015, 7:36 PM EST

"...In a story published Saturday by the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, House said he is seeking a starting job.

“I don’t like the role just playing special teams, especially when I know I can contribute,” House told the Journal Sentinel‘s Tom Silverstein. ... "

Comment woodbuck27:

I wonder where he'll land? He's got decent measurements and isn't at the 'aging' stage.

Joemailman
02-15-2015, 11:20 AM

They can save 9.2 million though by cutting him before March 14 and they are currently 8.6 million over the cap. They are trying to work on a restructure with him. Maybe convert the 8 million roster bonus due March 14 to something to be paid down the road.

Teamcheez1
02-15-2015, 01:18 PM
I think the one dimension (besides TE) missing from this offense is a 3rd down back in the mold of Darren Sproles or Reggie Bush. We just don't have anybody who is a threat coming out of the backfield for quick passes and flair outs. We can brawl with Lacy and Starks, but we don't have a change of pace back. I'm assuming Harris is all but gone since he received little or no playing time last season.

pbmax
02-15-2015, 01:55 PM
I think the one dimension (besides TE) missing from this offense is a 3rd down back in the mold of Darren Sproles or Reggie Bush. We just don't have anybody who is a threat coming out of the backfield for quick passes and flair outs. We can brawl with Lacy and Starks, but we don't have a change of pace back. I'm assuming Harris is all but gone since he received little or no playing time last season.

I think Lacy has shown he can do this and somehow, even Starks appeared to improve. However, Rodgers almost never seems at ease throwing to a back, esp. Starks.

Not sure if that is lack of confidence, or something the RBs do or don't do, but its something that needs more work.

Guiness
02-15-2015, 02:49 PM

The Fitz situation is a weird one, I don't understand how it got to that point. Somehow, I think they make it work in Arizona.

Marshall seems to think he's out. If cutting him frees up the whole $7.5M, I think he's gone, Jeffries and Wilson are a good 1-2 there.

I actually think Wallace stays with the Dolphins, maybe restructuring a little. They've got just no one else at WR there at all. Could they be a team that chases Cobb?

Colston is at the end of his (pretty good) career. With their cap trouble, I don't see how he stays.

Don't know about the others. Most intriguing player from the list is Jackson. He still played pretty well last season, he would get some attention if let go.

pittstang5
02-15-2015, 07:04 PM

I thought Harris would have been perfect for the "Sproles" role, but he was never let on the field.

woodbuck27
02-15-2015, 07:38 PM
They can save 9.2 million though by cutting him before March 14 and they are currently 8.6 million over the cap. They are trying to work on a restructure with him. Maybe convert the 8 million roster bonus due March 14 to something to be paid down the road.

They will restructure his contract because he's solid in Arizona with the coaches and players. The fans would be in shock if he was traded. He an specially recognized player in the NFL because of his ethical behaviour, mentoring skills and overall leadership qualities.

Seeing the $mad money$ the WR's listed here are scheduled to get in 2015 is a real head shaker.

Brandon Marshal and Mike Wallace are head cases. Dwayne Bowe is paid so much for what reason? Greg Jennings should be restructured. Percy Harvin at $10 M$ plus....seems ridiculous. Marques Colston seemed out of the picture in New Orleans last season but the whole team was out of synch.

Percy Harvin is like an amusement park ride. In and out and up and down and over here and over there. His psychiatrist has a raw chin from scrathin' it.

Randall Cobb's agent must see all that and be smackin' his lips.

woodbuck27
02-15-2015, 07:54 PM

http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-2/On-Larry-Fitzgerald-Well-Hope-Hes-Back/a3543356-e53d-45c7-bb02-71b1c39977f5

Check out the comments after this article. Larry Fitzgerald is loved.

woodbuck27
02-15-2015, 08:07 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/15/team-by-team-look-at-who-could-be-tagged-2/

Team-by-team look at who could be tagged

Posted by Mike Florio on February 15, 2015, 7:07 PM EST

woodbuck27
02-16-2015, 06:21 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2335521-nfl-free-agency-100-offensive-linemen/page/9

FR. TOP Offensive Lineman in 2015 Free Agency

2. Bryan Bulaga, Green Bay Packers

" Bryan Bulaga consistently grades out as one of the best right tackles in football when healthy. In 2014, he allowed just four sacks in the regular season and was a major boost for the Green Bay run game. If Bulaga hits the open market, he’ll be one of the best tackles available in the past several years."

Comment woodbuck27:

Between Bryan Bulaga,Randall Cobb and Tramon Williams. Ted Thompson has his work cut out.

I'm wondering when The $Big Guys$ ie Aaron Rodgers and Clay Matthews are going to want to help out by restructuring their contracts to help Ted Thompson manage the talent he already has on the Packers?

Joemailman
02-16-2015, 07:07 AM
I'm wondering when The $Big Guys$ ie Aaron Rodgers and Clay Matthews are going to want to help out by restructuring their contracts to help Ted Thompson manage the talent he already has on the Packers?

I don't think that will be necessary. TT will have the necessary cap room if he feels these players (Cobb, Bulaga, Williams) are worth the money it would take to sign them. There is a danger in restructuring contracts just to give you some temporary salary cap relief. See Arizona and Larry Fitzgerald. TT only asks players to restructure if they are not living up to their contract, as he did with A.J. Hawk a couple of years ago. In that case, Hawk took a pay cut.

woodbuck27
02-16-2015, 07:25 AM
I don't think that will be necessary. TT will have the necessary cap room if he feels these players (Cobb, Bulaga, Williams) are worth the money it would take to sign them. There is a danger in restructuring contracts just to give you some temporary salary cap relief. See Arizona and Larry Fitzgerald. TT only asks players to restructure if they are not living up to their contract, as he did with A.J. Hawk a couple of years ago. In that case, Hawk took a pay cut.

What about Tom Brady helping out in that respect for the Patriots!?

Brett Favre restructured voluntarily as well.

Whatever it took (Favre) and takes (Tom Brady) to get to the best chance to win the Super Bowl !?

I look at Peyton Manning and how I'd handle him if I was his GM. Peyton Manning would 'only' return at a substantially reduced contract. I cannot imagine that the Broncos will cough up close to $20 million$ next season for a man that just overall hasn't cut it in the payoffs. Manning has only proven what has been there al along. He's a great regular season QB with max protection and he match's his ego with statistical results. Manning is desperate to play in 2015...I wouldn't be surprized to see the same desperation in 2016.....beyond. He doesn't recognize that his best legacy was cemented in the 2014 season and from here on out it'll likely be tarnish.

Then I look at the cost of Alex Smith to Kansas City and I recognize the comparative madness. How can Alex Smith personally justify being paid what? ($18 M$) next season. Where is his upside? Nowhere ! Kansa City needs another QB.

pbmax
02-16-2015, 11:50 AM
Brett Favre restructured voluntarily as well.

Whatever it took (Favre) and takes (Tom Brady) to get to the best chance to win the Super Bowl !?

Favre never restructured to take less money overall. Certainly not with the Packers and I don't think so with the Jets or Vikings.

Brady has been advertised as accepting less thank market value, but the top line numbers that people quote are misleading. For instance, I believe Brady's numbers for the rest of his current deal are fully guaranteed.

Guiness
02-16-2015, 12:24 PM
PFT reporting Cullen Jenkins has accepted a pay cut to stay with the Giants. I seriously didn't know this guy was still in the league, which is kind of surprising because he was one of my favorite players when with the Packers.

Sure are seeing a lot more of teams asking players to take pay cuts, or at least it's a lot more publicized than it used to be. I don't ever want to hear someone else complain about a player holding out for more money while they're under contract.

Joemailman
02-16-2015, 12:48 PM
Favre never restructured to take less money overall. Certainly not with the Packers and I don't think so with the Jets or Vikings.

Brady has been advertised as accepting less thank market value, but the top line numbers that people quote are misleading. For instance, I believe Brady's numbers for the rest of his current deal are fully guaranteed.

I wonder if this could become a trend, at least at the QB position. There has been some speculation that Seattle might try to do this to some extent with Russell Wilson. Guaranteed contracts can be risky for the team, but QB's are probably less prone to career-altering injuries than players at other positions.

Joemailman
02-17-2015, 11:11 PM
Saints are 23 million over the cap. Really incredible some of the cap hits they have coming this year. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-orleans-saints/cap/

smuggler
02-17-2015, 11:25 PM
Yeah, Saints are doubly screwed because they aren't that good. They'll be rebuilding for a few years is my guess.

woodbuck27
02-18-2015, 08:31 AM

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/18/report-cardinals-larry-fitzgerald-closing-in-on-multi-year-deal/

Report: Cardinals, Larry Fitzgerald closing in on multi-year deal

" No further details are offered, but it seems certain that the deal will significantly lower the cap hit from the $26.3 million figure that Fitzgerald carries under his current deal. "

Smidgeon
02-18-2015, 08:34 AM
Yeah, Saints are doubly screwed because they aren't that good. They'll be rebuilding for a few years is my guess.

This will be the Bears in five years.

woodbuck27
02-18-2015, 08:36 AM
Comment woodbuck27:

FA QB Josh McCown has been busy. last week he was in Buffalo for a cup of coffee and out.Now....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/18/mccown-fox-get-together/

McCown, Fox (Bears) get together

Posted by Mike Florio on February 18, 2015, 9:06 AM EST

The Cleveland Browns are also reported interested in Josh McCown.

smuggler
02-18-2015, 06:43 PM
This will be the Bears in five years.

Well, yes, but when isn't this the case with Da Bears?

Smidgeon
02-19-2015, 11:22 AM
Well, yes, but when isn't this the case with Da Bears?

Lately they had been managing their cap decently. Peppers was a cut because they didn't think his production matched his salary. If the Saints guy who is now the Bears GM comes in with that same mentality, the Bears have an even smaller window than they did with Emery and Lovie.

Guiness
02-19-2015, 12:15 PM
Lately they had been managing their cap decently. Peppers was a cut because they didn't think his production matched his salary. If the Saints guy who is now the Bears GM comes in with that same mentality, the Bears have an even smaller window than they did with Emery and Lovie.

They have a window? A window to what?

Smidgeon
02-19-2015, 12:41 PM
They have a window? A window to what?

Realistically compete to get into the playoffs.

Joemailman
02-19-2015, 04:34 PM
Does TT read Twitter?

Tweets & replies
Photos & videos

TJ Lang @TJLang70 · 4h 4 hours ago

“@HeadHuntr01: @TJLang70 @jsitton71 Hey guys. Let's keep one of the best "O" lines together for 2015....Sign Brian B now."I'll get on it

denverYooper
02-19-2015, 05:21 PM
Does TT read Twitter?

All the time.

M3 mentioned in his combine presser that he really wants Bulaga back and Bulaga wants to be back, but they are in "business season".

Joemailman
02-19-2015, 05:29 PM
Florio just said he doesn't think Cobb will be back with the Packers. Cited the ability of rookie WR's to make an impact, and Rodgers' ability to get the most out of his receivers. I think he's wrong, but we'll see.

King Friday
02-19-2015, 08:32 PM
Florio just said he doesn't think Cobb will be back with the Packers. Cited the ability of rookie WR's to make an impact, and Rodgers' ability to get the most out of his receivers. I think he's wrong, but we'll see.

How often has Thompson let one of his draft picks, who happens to be a bona-fide Pro Bowl caliber player, just leave town?

The cap has been relatively flat over the past 3-4 years...but it is poised to rise going forward. That makes the market a little harder to predict, which is why you see so few deals getting done before we hit the deadline. Players are content to let the market determine their fair value this year, because it is likely to be higher than what teams were willing to part with prior to the deadline.

Carolina_Packer
02-19-2015, 10:16 PM

I don't recall who posted it, but someone mentioned how young Cobb is even compared with guys drafted two and three years after him. He is one of our ascending players, and I don't think you just let him get away like that. It's a game of replacement, but not at this stage of the game for Cobb or the Packers. If Florio is right on, then I'll question the purpose of "draft and develop" if you don't end up giving a second contract to one of your very best players.

smuggler
02-19-2015, 11:04 PM
Florio is just doing what we all are capable of doing - engaging in pure conjecture. The fact that he gets paid for it is what we should really all be concerned about.

Joemailman
02-19-2015, 11:24 PM
I don't recall who posted it, but someone mentioned how young Cobb is even compared with guys drafted two and three years after him. He is one of our ascending players, and I don't think you just let him get away like that. It's a game of replacement, but not at this stage of the game for Cobb or the Packers. If Florio is right on, then I'll question the purpose of "draft and develop" if you don't end up giving a second contract to one of your very best players.

I agree. I think Florio is wrong. Players TT drafts who turn out to be very good players always seem to get a second contract. They may not get a third. I think Cobb and Bulaga will be back. I'll be surprised if Tramon Williams is back.

Carolina_Packer
02-20-2015, 06:21 AM
Joe, I would totally sign up for that scenario. House might be ready for a step up, so then they would just need to find a young buck to take House's spot, and perhaps a higher round guy who would be good enough to play nickel corner right away, ala Hayward vs. drafting/signing a pure project like the 7th round kid who was a basketball player previously.

MadScientist
02-20-2015, 09:07 AM
TT will make every attempt to sign Cobb and Bulaga, but nothing will happen until after the legal tampering period. They'll both want to see how much they are worth to other teams before signing, so we just have to wait. The only way Cobb or Bulaga aren't re-signed is if they really want to play somewhere else.

House wants to start, so the only way they bring him back is if Williams is gone.

smuggler
02-20-2015, 12:00 PM
Would you rather have House and TWill or Shields and House? Just curious. I guess I, too, prefer Shields, but I definitely feel we overpaid for him. Oh well...

Patler
02-20-2015, 03:32 PM
Shields worries me. He has missed 13 regular season games in 5 years, and hasn't played a full season of games yet. Not that House has been any better, but they have a lot of money tied up in Shields.

Williams always seems to answer the bell, even when he has been beaten up. But, then there is that age thing..........

denverYooper
02-20-2015, 08:13 PM
I have a feeling they'll re-sign TWill after he tests the market. Unless the Raiders sign him.

pbmax
02-21-2015, 08:08 AM
I have a feeling they'll re-sign TWill after he tests the market. Unless the Raiders sign him.

That's the problem with the Wolf/Thompson tree having so many branches, lots of poachers for your more marginal contract cases.

Patler
02-21-2015, 08:19 AM
Lots of good tid bits of information in this article:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-cornerback-davon-house-could-be-expensive-to-re-sign-b99448509z1-293110391.html

- House is highly regarded and could get $7M/year.
- Packers have apparently opened discussions with House and Tolzien.
- House would like to stay in GB, as would Flynn

....and for you Badger fans, Rob Havenstein did very poorly in all of the drills.

pbmax
02-21-2015, 10:33 AM
Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 36m36 minutes ago
Boykin is restricted free agent. RT @blakebaratz: I want to welcome #Packers WR Jarrett Boykin @BoyKinHeCatch to the @TeamIFA Family.

Boykin is doomed to join the Vikings.

pbmax
02-26-2015, 02:32 PM
Packers have spent a lot of cash in the last year. Will have no trouble hitting the minimum cash spent in the CBA.

Jimmy /J.I./ Halsell ‏@SalaryCap101 1h1 hour ago
Approx total cash to be spent over the next two seasons (2015 & 2016) for clubs to be compliant w 89% spending rule.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B-yzsdAUEAAAQ92.jpg:large

gbgary
02-26-2015, 06:47 PM
Stephen Jackson released by atl.

Zool
02-27-2015, 08:37 AM
Stephen Jackson released by atl.

Remember when our GM was a moron for not signing him as a FA? 1250 yards and $7million later it seems he might have been right all along.

pbmax
03-02-2015, 08:53 AM
Justin Houston tagged by the Chiefs.

Suh is NOT tagged by Lions.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 12m12 minutes ago
Broncos will place their franchise tag of WR Demaryius Thomas before today's 4 ET deadline.

Patler
03-02-2015, 10:30 AM
A tag on Suh wouldn't have worked at all anyway. They would have had to pay him $27M. He likely wouldn't even consider a long term deal when he would have had $27M fully guaranteed for just a one year commitment. No reason to.

pbmax
03-02-2015, 10:32 AM
A tag on Suh wouldn't have worked at all anyway. They would have had to pay him $27M. He likely wouldn't even consider a long term deal when he would have had $27M fully guaranteed for just a one year commitment. No reason to.

The guarantee alone on the next long term deal would have been over $40 mil. They had to bail. PFT said they should have communicated this when negotiations broke down during the season. It does seem obvious now.

pbmax
03-02-2015, 10:40 AM
Do these numbers differ from earlier estimates?

Albert Breer via Wilde:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B_Gyo2XVAAE7Lkr.jpg:large

pbmax
03-02-2015, 11:31 AM
ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 1m1 minute ago
Per source, salary cap is $143.28 million per team for 2015.

Fritz
03-02-2015, 11:37 AM

Here's the prevailing wisdom in Detroit, from an article in the Free Press:

"His [Suh's] presence tilts the field in a way that's hard to measure, and surely why the Lions brass strongly considered spending nearly $27 million to keep him for another year. They understand what they have in him.

They also know they have to do what it takes to sign him. Pay him what he wants. The Lions aren't building for the future. They are building for September, and that means finding a way to keep your best player."

This is the difference between the Lions and the Packers. They put themselves in this predicament by structuring Suh's last re-structuring so if he went to FA and the Lions tagged him they'd have to pay him 20% above the franchise for the year. Thus the 26 mill number.

They've also restructured Calvin Johnson and Matthew Stafford, pushing money into the future over and over. So those two are huge cap hits, and re-signing Suh would mean zero flexibility anywhere on the roster.

Joemailman
03-02-2015, 01:20 PM
Dez Bryant tagged by Cowboys and Jason Pierre-Paul tagged by Giants.

pbmax
03-02-2015, 02:52 PM
Brad Jones signed by Eagles.

I claim premature, rehabilitated player evaluation qualifications.

red
03-02-2015, 02:54 PM

suckers

pbmax
03-02-2015, 02:57 PM
BTW, it should not go unremarked that the Packer Press continued its impressive streak of premature cutting of FA due to cap number in significant ways this year.

First, both Hawk and Jones were floated as possible casualties long before they were finally released this offseason.

But mainly, that Julius Peppers could not continue to be a Packer with a cap number around $12 mil and a salary of $9.5. In hindsight, calling this one was dumb, because it would have required you to believe Ted really did sign a vet to a year and and fakery contract.

Past winners of this award are Woodson, Harris, Pickett, Barnett, Driver and KGB, KGB, KGB, KGB and KGB.

pbmax
03-02-2015, 03:08 PM
Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 2h2 hours ago
Thus far official paperwork has been filed for franchise tags for D. Thomas, Dez Bryant, Jason Pierre-Paul and J. Houston. 4pm deadline looming others

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 1h1 hour ago
Reportedly tagged so far: #Broncos WR Demaryius Thomas, #Patriots K Stephen Gostkowski, #Cowboys WR Dez Bryant, #Chiefs LB Justin Houston.

pbmax
03-02-2015, 03:26 PM
Well that worked out OK for Cobb. He and Maclin are only top WRs left.

mraynrand
03-02-2015, 04:05 PM

that might be an upgrade over Casey Matthews

mraynrand
03-02-2015, 04:08 PM
Well that worked out OK for Cobb. He and Maclin are only top WRs left.

Cleveland is desperate for a WR, but they'll never take Cobb. They only like guys with character flaws, drug dependency and a poor work ethic.

pbmax
03-02-2015, 04:38 PM
Cleveland is desperate for a WR, but they'll never take Cobb. They only like guys with character flaws, drug dependency and a poor work ethic.

Hedge against future cap problems?

vince
03-02-2015, 05:09 PM
Cap Space as of 3/2

Jaguars $68,477,511
Raiders $55,707,735
Browns $54,020,896
Jets $51,728,474
Colts $45,469,186
Titans $44,693,630
Bengals $41,095,577
Falcons $33,530,536
Buccaneers $33,442,618
Packers $33,389,792
Bills $31,321,670
Chargers $30,290,499
Bears $28,827,772
Redskins $28,330,288
Eagles $27,894,622
Seahawks $25,991,543
Vikings $23,328,924
Lions $18,723,192
Broncos $17,291,342
Panthers $16,931,314
Texans $15,253,239
Cardinals $14,332,938
Dolphins $11,238,826
Giants $10,209,638
Rams $8,528,245
Steelers $7,165,384
Cowboys $6,564,965
49ers $6,522,889
Ravens $5,015,010
Chiefs ($5,756,057)
Patriots ($11,394,313)
Saints ($20,652,515)

Joemailman
03-02-2015, 05:36 PM
Saints are still 20 million over the cap. When does the fire sale start?

red
03-02-2015, 05:56 PM
Saints are still 20 million over the cap. When does the fire sale start?

they were waaaay over last year too, they made 2 or 3 moves and then managed to sign a big name free agent and were safely back under the cap

Joemailman
03-02-2015, 06:06 PM
they were waaaay over last year too, they made 2 or 3 moves and then managed to sign a big name free agent and were safely back under the cap

Yeah, but their cap situation is starting to hurt them. They're not a playoff team anymore. Jairus Byrd was the big UFA they signed, and they probably wished they hadn't. They are in a bad situation with a declining team, big salaries, and an old, but still very good QB.

vince
03-02-2015, 06:17 PM
Raiders could dump Schaub, Woodley and one or two other non-performers and easily be more than $70 mil under the cap.

smuggler
03-02-2015, 07:03 PM
Impending 3 year 50$m contract to Cobb... Damn you, Reggie!!

mraynrand
03-03-2015, 09:50 AM
Hedge against future cap problems?

they learned from the Bills

Fritz
03-03-2015, 10:39 AM
Colts and Packers only serious playoff contenders in the top ten of that list.

Seashits have room, but Russell Wilson looming.

pbmax
03-03-2015, 06:08 PM
Will Blackmon is available after the Jaguars can't remember why they signed him.

Also the Eagles are rumored to be trading LeSean McCoy to the Bills for Kiko Alsonso.

all from PFT.com

Joemailman
03-03-2015, 06:25 PM
Will Blackmon is available after the Jaguars can't remember why they signed him.

Also the Eagles are rumored to be trading LeSean McCoy to the Bills for Kiko Alsonso.

all from PFT.com

Looks like the McCoy trade has happened. That would mean the end of C.J. Spiller in Buffalo.

Joemailman
03-03-2015, 06:33 PM
Eagles expected to release Trent Cole.

pittstang5
03-03-2015, 06:37 PM

all from PFT.com

i ead that the McCoy trade can't go down until next tuesday - is that right?

pbmax
03-03-2015, 06:43 PM

Probably. Start of the League's new year.

Rosenhaus (McCoy's agent) is Tweeting its not official and a couple of people have commented that means there is nothing they can do about it but he's going to demand to be heard. If they weren't forewarned, its in Rosenhaus' business interest to make a stink so he does get a call next time.

Rapport said LaDanian Thomlinson was told by McCoy that he did not expect to be back next year with the Eagles. Relationship with Kelly had cooled he reportedly claimed.

smuggler
03-03-2015, 10:44 PM
What an awesome trade for the Eagles. I expect this might be a trade that works out for both teams, a la Clinton Portis <-> Champ Bailey, but McCoy is 27 this year and probably only has a year or two left before he starts to decline. Alsonso is in his third year and is probably the best coverage linebacker in a pass-happy league.

Fritz
03-04-2015, 02:00 PM
Lion nation biting its collective nails over the Suh situation. Most want to see them re-sign him at any cost.

smuggler
03-04-2015, 03:46 PM
I'd think he'd be back in Detroit. Have to think the Lions brass feels similarly about the best DT in football...

Cheesehead Craig
03-04-2015, 09:24 PM
I'd think he'd be back in Detroit. Have to think the Lions brass feels similarly about the best DT in football...

I hope they do. Let him destroy their cap situation for the next 3-4 years while they remain a mediocre team.

gbgary
03-05-2015, 12:20 PM
suh to mia. wow...whodathunkit?

KYPack
03-05-2015, 08:58 PM

Yup.

This weekend should be nutso.

Some teams have to unload a ton of salary before then.

Bossman641
03-06-2015, 10:33 AM
Brandon Marshall is on the move to the Jets for what looks like a 4th or 5th round pick....Cutler to Geno....Garbage to garbage

pittstang5
03-06-2015, 01:26 PM
Rumor in Philly right now is if Mariota drops to #6, the Jets will take him and trade him to Philadelphia. No details, but "speculation" is Jets would get Philly's 1st rd, Nick Foles and another player, plus, possibly Phillys first rounder next year and/or more picks this year or next year.

Philadelphia Eagles = University of Oregon East

red
03-06-2015, 01:41 PM
looks like the market for bulaga is really heating up

most consider him the best tackle available and a lot of teams need one

looks like he's gonna test the market and get a huge deal

pbmax
03-06-2015, 01:45 PM
The lack of action on Bulaga would seem to signal they haven't given up on Cobb yet.

Joemailman
03-06-2015, 04:22 PM
Bears trade Marshall to Jets for 5th round pick. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000476933/article/bears-agree-to-trade-brandon-marshall-to-jets

red
03-06-2015, 06:19 PM
house is ready to test the market

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/06/report-davon-house-likely-to-test-free-agency/

red
03-06-2015, 06:24 PM
seattle also just re signed lynch

and released TE zach miller and DT jesse williams

whats up with williams? he's a guy i really like coming out of college for a NT

red
03-06-2015, 06:38 PM
lynch just got 31 million for 3 years. a lot of money for a RB these days

pbmax
03-06-2015, 06:48 PM
ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 44m44 minutes ago
So much for depressed RB market; LeSean McCoy gets $10.25M, Marshawn Lynch gets $12M, Vikings begging Adrian Peterson to take $12.75M.

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 40m40 minutes ago
So what does someone offer DeMarco Murray during the three-day tampering period?

red
03-06-2015, 06:57 PM
So much for depressed RB market; LeSean McCoy gets $10.25M, Marshawn Lynch gets $12M, Vikings begging Adrian Peterson to take $12.75M.

So what does someone offer DeMarco Murray during the three-day tampering period?

its tough with murray

was this year just a flash in the pan for him? he put up huge yardage, but he also almost had 100 more carries then the next closest guy in the nfl

we know AP, McCoy and lynch are the real deals, they've done it for multiple years

we're not so sure about murray. i think he'll get paid, but i would be shocked and call it a mistake if someone pays him the same as those other 3

Joemailman
03-06-2015, 06:57 PM

There was concern about his knees, both because of an injury, and because he had very spindly legs for a person his size. The concern proved justified as he spent 2013 and 2014 on IR. He was originally considered a potential 1st round pick, and ended up sliding to the 5th round.

Joemailman
03-06-2015, 09:46 PM
S Laron Landry, released last month by the Colts, has been suspended for 10 games in 2015 for PED. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000477120/article/laron-landry-suspended-10-games-for-ped-violation

I predict this may adversely affect his market value.

smuggler
03-06-2015, 09:48 PM
Yeah, Jesse Williams' knees are not meant for football, sadly...

pbmax
03-07-2015, 08:40 AM
We will soon know the bottom for Bulaga's market as Doug Free (RT) is close to a deal with the Cowboys. He is a terrible at pass blocking but good in run blocking (might be vice versa) and is a notch below Bulaga in all areas except health.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/07/report-cowboys-close-to-deal-to-keep-doug-free-off-market/

pbmax
03-07-2015, 10:49 AM
The Cowboys have reached a three-year, $15 million contract with Doug Free, Todd Archer of ESPNDallas.com reported Saturday morning.

Not even sure this is the bottom of Bulaga's market.

via PFT http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/07/report-cowboys-strike-three-year-deal-with-doug-free/

smuggler
03-07-2015, 11:43 AM
Word is that if the Cobber leaves town, the Packers might have interest in a freshly released Harvin. He's only 26, but his career has fallen apart in the last two seasons.

red
03-07-2015, 11:45 AM
Word is that if the Cobber leaves town, the Packers might have interest in a freshly released Harvin. He's only 26, but his career has fallen apart in the last two seasons.

NO NO NO NO and NO

smuggler
03-07-2015, 11:52 AM
He'd come cheap and wouldn't factor into the comp pick equations. I'm skeptical myself. That's just what I heard.

call_me_ishmael
03-07-2015, 12:21 PM
Percy is a rich man's Randall Cobb in talent. He is also a giant asshole. I'll take him because he needs to keep his nose clean or no one will touch him. Reminds me of Raiders Moss to NE Moss (minus a whole lot talent of course)

smuggler
03-07-2015, 12:30 PM
He's not the receiver that Cobb is. He's faster and that's not insignificant.

call_me_ishmael
03-07-2015, 12:34 PM
It sounds crazy... but if I'm the Packers I try to sign Ndamukong Suh. It is rare that a top 10 player in the league reaches FA. That would be like having a shot at JJ Watt. He would be the 2nd best 3-4 end in the league immediately.

smuggler
03-07-2015, 01:40 PM
It's very tricky. The money has to make sense for Suh and Green Bay. He's a great player, I just don't think it's plausible.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-07-2015, 01:44 PM
Suh has showed signs of mental issues..If I'm spending 100 million on a dlineman he better not have any red flags whatsoever. If he didn't have red flags you think the lions would be letting him hit the open market? No thanks.

Guiness
03-07-2015, 01:47 PM

They're kinda blowing smoke there - McCoy and Peterson are on old contracts. Pretty sure they wouldn't sign for that today.

The new money for Lynch, for what PFT is calling a one year deal...surprising.

pbmax
03-07-2015, 03:02 PM
They're kinda blowing smoke there - McCoy and Peterson are on old contracts. Pretty sure they wouldn't sign for that today.

The new money for Lynch, for what PFT is calling a one year deal...surprising.

McCoy has a lot of leverage over the Bills. He's not getting less. Peterson also has some leverage now, especially if Vikes want to trade him.

red
03-07-2015, 03:09 PM
i just read that the packers haven't even contacted house about re signing him

doesn't look good for him coming back, and probably not a good sign for him that his former team doesn't even want to try and keep him

Pugger
03-07-2015, 03:12 PM
It sounds crazy... but if I'm the Packers I try to sign Ndamukong Suh. It is rare that a top 10 player in the league reaches FA. That would be like having a shot at JJ Watt. He would be the 2nd best 3-4 end in the league immediately.

Doesn't Sue want QB type money??

Pugger
03-07-2015, 03:13 PM
i just read that the packers haven't even contacted house about re signing him

doesn't look good for him coming back, and probably not a good sign for him that his former team doesn't even want to try and keep him

House is a nice player but he can't stay on the field.

red
03-07-2015, 03:20 PM
Doesn't Sue want QB type money??

yeah, about 20 million per year, and there are now 3 teams in the bidding, so he might very well get it (miami, raiders, and chargers)

call_me_ishmael
03-07-2015, 04:06 PM
Suh has showed signs of mental issues..If I'm spending 100 million on a dlineman he better not have any red flags whatsoever. If he didn't have red flags you think the lions would be letting him hit the open market? No thanks.

They can't pay him. You can only pay two top 20 players in the league. Stafford and Calvin earn too much. We would be hard pressed to make it work w/ Clay but he isn't paid like Calvin and Stafford is gonna blow ARod money out of the water when he re-ups.

pbmax
03-07-2015, 04:11 PM
Is House going off the board early? I would expect that there will be a delay between the opening of FA and House's name on a contract. Someone had a source at Combine that the Packers have told everyone that Cobb is first, then they will deal with the rest.

pbmax
03-07-2015, 04:52 PM
This CB was rated #2, higher than Tramontana and House. He got less per year than Shields, but more guaranteed if early numbers are close to accurate.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 8m8 minutes ago
CB Kareem Jackson is signing a 4-year worth $34M, source said, with $20M in guarantees. Very strong.

pbmax
03-07-2015, 05:01 PM
Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 6m6 minutes ago
If K. Jackson is at $8.5M, it follows Maxwell will be at $10-$11M. House competing with Skrine, Flowers, Culliver to get into $5-$7M range.

pbmax
03-07-2015, 05:20 PM
Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 16m16 minutes ago
I think he'll get $4-5M somewhere. RT @CounselorMoe: If House gets $5-7M, does this mean Tramon should've signed for $8M over 2 with GB?

red
03-07-2015, 05:24 PM
so

so far you assholes want to bring in, suh, percy (migraine) harvin and now lance briggs

god i hate you people

red
03-07-2015, 05:25 PM
Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 16m16 minutes ago
I think he'll get $4-5M somewhere. RT @CounselorMoe: If House gets $5-7M, does this mean Tramon should've signed for $8M over 2 with GB?

tramon is the one big name free agent that i think will end up back with us

pbmax
03-07-2015, 05:53 PM
Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 16m16 minutes ago
Another popular CB RT @RavensInsider Brandon Flowers expected to remain with Chargers, according to a source with knowledge of the situation

The FA CB room is getting emptier.

oldbutnotdeadyet
03-07-2015, 06:45 PM
tramon is the one big name free agent that i think will end up back with us

I'd rather have house. If we sign tramon I hope it is a short term deal.

King Friday
03-07-2015, 08:44 PM
Well, it wouldn't be free agency time is the Vikings weren't interested in a Packer...

This time they are poking the tires on A.J. Hawk for whatever reason.

pbmax
03-08-2015, 11:47 AM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 4m4 minutes ago
LeSean McCoy & #Bills agreed on a new 5-year deal, as @Jeff_McLane said. $16M first year with $26.5M gtd, $40M total, per @RosenhausSports

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 9m9 minutes ago
LeSean McCoy and Bills have agreed on a $16M first year total with $26.5M total guaranteed and $40M over 5 years, per @RosenhausSports

Gregg Rosenthal ‏@greggrosenthal 2m2 minutes ago
McCoy was already due $24.5 million over next 3 years. Moved a lot of that money up front but probably not a ton extra.

Joemailman
03-08-2015, 01:20 PM
ESPN reporting Suh will sign 6 year, 114 million contract with Dolphins. http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/03/08/ndamukong-suh-free-agent-contract-miami-dolphins-six-years

oldbutnotdeadyet
03-08-2015, 02:43 PM
ESPN reporting Suh will sign 6 year, 114 million contract with Dolphins. http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/03/08/ndamukong-suh-free-agent-contract-miami-dolphins-six-years

Wow...

red
03-08-2015, 04:06 PM

you know whats really funny?

the raiders have already missed out on most of the big name big money guys, and they haven't exactly been working on the next tier, which others have

it would be great if they have to spend all their money on shit players

pbmax
03-08-2015, 04:09 PM
Suh has upwards of $60 million of guarantees reportedly.

red
03-08-2015, 04:16 PM
lions offered him a 6 year 102 million with 58 guaranteed

and call him crazy for not taking that and taking more money to play in a state with no state income tax

plus they fail to mention their team and city are shitholes that no one wants to live in or play for

hmm, detroit or miami. thats a real tough one, maybe detroit should have been the one offering 12 million more

pbmax
03-08-2015, 04:21 PM
lions offered him a 6 year 102 million with 58 guaranteed

and call him crazy for not taking that and taking more money to play in a state with no state income tax

plus they fail to mention their team and city are shitholes that no one wants to live in or play for

hmm, detroit or miami. thats a real tough one, maybe detroit should have been the one offering 12 million more

It would make more sense if Suh played offense.

pbmax
03-08-2015, 04:23 PM
Gregg Rosenthal ‏@greggrosenthal 3m3 minutes ago
Top 3 CBs accounted for before FA starts: Maxwell, Flowers, and Jackson. Next up: Guys like Davon House, Cromartie, Culliver.

red
03-08-2015, 04:39 PM
flowers got 4 years 36 million

maxwell is saying he's getting 5 years, 53-54 million and 25 million in guarantees

jackson got 4 years 34 million with 20 in guarantees

shields deal was 4 year 39 million with about 22.5 million "guaranteed" by my count

red
03-08-2015, 04:51 PM
big shock so far is that not only does someone want mark sanchez, it looks like multiple teams might be battling it out for him

Joemailman
03-08-2015, 05:01 PM
Frank Gore expected to become an Eagle. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/08/frank-gore-most-likely-will-be-an-eagle/

pbmax
03-08-2015, 05:27 PM

maxwell is saying he's getting 5 years, 53-54 million and 25 million in guarantees

shields deal was 4 year 39 million with about 22.5 million "guaranteed" by my count

Only the signing bonus was fully guaranteed. If you include the first two years, its $20.9375 million.

But if catastrophe struck, the Packers can still pull $6 million of that back this year. His $3 million roster bonus is due the 5th year of the League Year, or likely March 15th.

woodbuck27
03-09-2015, 06:37 AM

So a decent CB's price today is in the $ 9 -12- M $ range. I exclude the ultra Cream of the Crop.

woodbuck27
03-09-2015, 06:39 AM
Brandon Marshall is on the move to the Jets for what looks like a 4th or 5th round pick....Cutler to Geno....Garbage to garbage

That move helps clean up the Bears locker room.

woodbuck27
03-09-2015, 06:41 AM

That had to happen for Seattle to remain relevant and .....Super Bowl.

woodbuck27
03-09-2015, 06:54 AM
its tough with murray

was this year just a flash in the pan for him? he put up huge yardage, but he also almost had 100 more carries then the next closest guy in the nfl

we know AP, McCoy and lynch are the real deals, they've done it for multiple years

we're not so sure about murray. i think he'll get paid, but i would be shocked and call it a mistake if someone pays him the same as those other 3

I'm just catching up.

It makes best logical sense for Dallas to somehow sign both WR Dez Bryant and RB Demarco Murray.

http://www.ibtimes.com/dallas-cowboys-news-demarco-murrays-future-after-dez-bryant-cole-beasley-deals-1835938

Dallas Cowboys News: DeMarco Murray's Future After Dez Bryant And Cole Beasley Deals

By: Anthony Riccobono @tony_riccobono a.riccobono@ibtimes.com on March 04 2015 11:54 AM EST

Comment woodbuck27:

I don't want to see Murray in Indy. :idea:

woodbuck27
03-09-2015, 07:05 AM
http://mmqb.si.com/2015/03/09/nfl-free-agency-ndamukong-suh-dolphins-darrelle-revis-jets/

Mon Mar. 9, 2015

NFL Free Agency: The Free-For-All Has Begun

The dominoes have started to fall, so what does Ndamukong Suh to Miami and Devin McCourty back to New England mean for Darrelle Revis? Why it might be imperative for the Jets to bring back the top corner, plus many more FA thoughts

By: Peter King

Comment woodbuck27:

The Buffalo Bills...WOW !

woodbuck27
03-09-2015, 07:11 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/08/jets-are-expected-to-cut-harvin-on-monday/

Jets are expected to cut Harvin on Monday

Posted by Mike Florio on March 8, 2015, 6:50 PM EDT

Comment: woodbuck27

He just can't seem to find a comfortable home.

Joemailman
03-09-2015, 08:14 AM
Report Jeremy Maclin expected to sign with Chiefs. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2321649-jeremy-maclin-latest-news-rumors-and-speculation-surrounding-free-agent-wr

Eagles are losing speed on offense if Maclin and McCoy are gone.

pbmax
03-09-2015, 08:53 AM
There is a rumor that the 49ers have put Kaepernick on the trading block. Bears and Eagles were named.

49ers have shot it down and they have gotten Scheffer to repeat the denial.

But the guy who has the rumor has gotten some big ones before (Ryan Mallet trade) plus Harbaugh almost traded to the Browns. He's not Joe Arrigo, unless JA has a job as a radio host in Houston.

Jayson Braddock @JaysonBraddock · 7h 7 hours ago
Lastly, for the record, direct quote, "SF put Kaepernick on the trading block".

Remember, everything done in the dark comes to light.

pbmax
03-09-2015, 09:10 AM
Greg Bedard has listed Davon House as his top FA bargain at MMQB.

Fritz
03-09-2015, 09:13 AM
There is a rumor that the 49ers have put Kaepernick on the trading block. Bears and Eagles were named.

49ers have shot it down and they have gotten Scheffer to repeat the denial.

But the guy who has the rumor has gotten some big ones before (Ryan Mallet trade) plus Harbaugh almost traded to the Browns. He's not Joe Arrigo, unless JA has a job as a radio host in Houston.

Jayson Braddock @JaysonBraddock · 7h 7 hours ago
Lastly, for the record, direct quote, "SF put Kaepernick on the trading block".

Remember, everything done in the dark comes to light.

Most of Ted Thompson's harshest critics constantly bemoaned the "fact" that SF and Seattle were light years ahead of the Packers because they were so much more physical, and that the Packers had been passed by.

But now SF is a shell of its former self, and Seattle has just paid Lynch 12million and is finding some of its core being peeled away, with Russell Wilson's contract still looming.

Bossman641
03-09-2015, 09:49 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/09/san-fran-surprise-coming-monday/

SF surprise coming today?

Joemailman
03-09-2015, 09:59 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/09/san-fran-surprise-coming-monday/

SF surprise coming today?

IT appears the surprise is that Patrick Willis is retiring. http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/sources-willis-considering-retirement

Joemailman
03-09-2015, 10:03 AM
A.J. Hawk visiting the Bengals.

Bossman641
03-09-2015, 10:03 AM
Patrick Willis and Justin Smith are both retiring. Geez, imagine being a SF fan right now.....they have certainly fallen off quickly.

Joemailman
03-09-2015, 10:06 AM
Patrick Willis and Justin Smith are both retiring. Geez, imagine being a SF fan right now.....they have certainly fallen off quickly.

Smith was possibly going to be released because they signed (or will) Darnell Dockett. Willis is a shocker though.

Joemailman
03-09-2015, 10:58 AM
Michael Rodney @PackerUpdate · 21h 21 hours ago

Eagles will apparently sign 0-time Pro Bowl CB Byron Maxwell to a 5-year deal worth $54M, including $25M guaranteed. Congratulations?
0 replies 3 retweets 5 favorites

Michael Rodney @PackerUpdate · Mar 7

Well, McGinn had Cobb out the door and now his partner in crime at MJS has Bulaga on the verge of leaving. Let's hope the MJS goes 0 for 2.

Joemailman
03-09-2015, 12:27 PM
Darren Wolfson @DarrenWolfson · 2h 2 hours ago

Sounds like Bulaga back to #Packers.
0 replies 139 retweets 67 favorites

Anybody know who Darren Wolfson is?

QBME
03-09-2015, 12:32 PM

JAG trying to be somebody:

Previous Experience
Darren "Doogie" Wolfson worked for more than twelve years at KFAN Radio, a Twin Cities sports/talk format station. He filled many roles and wore multiple hats from producing and technically directing, to reporting and hosting. He spent the majority of his tenure working with Sid Hartman's son, Chad, on the popular "Chad Hartman Show." After leaving KFAN in January 2009, Darren worked for www.cbssports.com covering the Vikings, www.startribune.com, KMSP FOX-9 as a fill-in sports anchor and web show commentator, www.GopherHole.com, the St. Paul Saints TV broadcasts, and the MLB Network.
Education
Darren earned a B.A. in Journalism from the University of Minnesota and graduated in 2002.
Personal Interests
Darren was married in October 2009. He and his wife currently reside in Golden Valley. He is also a semi-reliable lunchtime hoopster (except when he's asked to play some defense).

mraynrand
03-09-2015, 12:44 PM

his mother

Fritz
03-09-2015, 12:48 PM
his mother

Darren Wolfson is his mother?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXU-ZdmzNmo

Fritz
03-09-2015, 12:58 PM
Okay, for all of you out there who, every year, bemoan Ted Thompson not handing out the big contracts and not spending to win now, baby, here's why it doesn't always work out so well:

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2015/03/09/detroit-lions-salary-cap-suh/24638587/

Lions have lost Suh - but he's still going to cost them 9.7 million this year.

Wow.

mraynrand
03-09-2015, 01:05 PM
Darren Wolfson did his mother?

narrow escape

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-JFNNfwh_e1I/TYwsVWtBHwI/AAAAAAAAGJo/KfyOpUe4yvo/s1600/Marty-and-mom.jpg

Joemailman
03-09-2015, 02:23 PM
NFL has sent memo to teams about abuses during the 3 day negotiating period.

Here is the complete memo:

"Clubs were advised of the rules for the three-day negotiating period in PP-23-15 (attached). These rules include limitations such as that a club cannot make an 'offer;' or enter into a written or oral agreement of any kind, express or implied, or make promises or representations of any type concerning the terms or conditions of employment to be offered to any Unrestricted Free Agent for inclusion in a Player Contract after the start of the new League Year; or provide assurances of intent as to the future execution of an NFL Player Contract.

"Clubs were further advised that "Any attempt to undermine the purpose of this negotiating period may be considered conduct detrimental to the League." At this time, the League office is beginning investigations into a number of reported agreements with clubs. Violations will be dealt with accordingly."

Joemailman
03-09-2015, 02:40 PM
http://www.ninersnation.com/2015/3/9/8175389/source-patrick-willis-wants-to-get-more-involved-with-his-church

Earlier today, Ruthless Sports Guy reported at BASG that a source indicated Patrick Willis is retiring in part due to "a religious awakening of sorts". I can't confirm that is the only reason, but I am hearing from a source that he wants to be more involved with his church. I have heard that is strictly related to his church, and has nothing to do with his recent toe injury recovery.

Guiness
03-09-2015, 03:13 PM
Okay, for all of you out there who, every year, bemoan Ted Thompson not handing out the big contracts and not spending to win now, baby, here's why it doesn't always work out so well:

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2015/03/09/detroit-lions-salary-cap-suh/24638587/

Wow.

Wow for sure. So his contract had a fake 6th year, it voided 5 days after the SB this year. No criteria as far as I can see. The Lions have been happily charging money against that year since 2011.

6% of their cap goes to him in 2015. They learned well from the municipal politicians in Detroit...

red
03-09-2015, 03:15 PM

Wow.

LOL

its also a really good lesson as to why you shouldn't keep restucturing a guys deal and pushing the cap hit further down the line

i think the cards did something similar many years back with fitz, somehow they managed to get out of that mess though

pbmax
03-09-2015, 03:36 PM
Not as funny as PFT Commenter, but JSCommenter (quoting actual comments on JSO website) isn't bad.

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 13s13 seconds ago
RT @JSComments: How about Janis at TE? He is very strong, probably stronger than any TE on the team now, and talk about match up nightmares.

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 25s25 seconds ago
RT @JSComments: Tolzien is a hard worker, studies hard. NFL arm. We would have won the Seattle game if he started instead of Rodgers.

Joemailman
03-09-2015, 05:40 PM
Scott Wells and Jake Long released by Rams.

pbmax
03-09-2015, 06:18 PM
DuJuan Harris is non-tendered by the Packers.

pittstang5
03-09-2015, 06:50 PM

Hero to Zero

pbmax
03-09-2015, 11:17 PM
Seattle signed Cary Williams, late of the Eagles. One team off the map for Tramontana.

smuggler
03-10-2015, 12:49 AM
How old is Jake Long? He was once neck-and-neck with Joe Thomas as best LT in the game...

woodbuck27
03-10-2015, 06:23 AM

The latest...Patrick Willis is very likely done but Justin Smith will take another week - two do decide if retirement is in his future.

It's amazing the way the 49ers 'D' is changing from it's Super Bowl year. Only three from that starting 'D' remain.

woodbuck27
03-10-2015, 07:01 AM
There's still strong talk that San Fran QB Colin Kaepernick is...on the trading block.

There's news that da Bears QB Jay Cutler (QB !@$#&%^) will be traded by Chicago if they can get something done? What NFL team would actually invest any present for a future with that 'lost in space' wanna be winner?

* Kaepernick for ** Cutler? Crap for Crap.

QB Geno Smith may not be back with the NY Jets? How about * or ** in New York and the Jets?

Houston and WR Andre Johnson is over?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12450081/andre-johnson-released-houston-texans

It certainly looks as if RB Demarco Murray will be leaving Dallas. He's pissed that the Boys won't give him the money he feel he's worth as the NFL top RB.

He's cleaned up his Twitter Account of anything and Cowboy uniform. He retained that account in terms of any communications with soon to be former team mates. So whee will DeMarco Murray be signed?

Philly or Indy? Frank Gore may land in Indy after earlier rumors he was Philly bound. If I was him I'd choose Andrew Luck as my QB. Every year the Colts make a step. Andrew Luck is so much fun to watch and my earlier analysis of him was of. I like Luck's attitude and overall strength as an NFL QB. I like his HC. The Colts owner is a real piece of work. He has to stay the 'H' out of the kitchen. :???:

So what will the Eagles do to recover at RB? Can Philly afford Demarco Murray who likely wants 'ridiculous RB money' .... say in the 10 -12 million range for likely 4 years and over 50 % of that guaranteed. RB Dujuan Harris might land in Philly for about 5-6 Million on a 2 year contract the way the RB market is shaping up this season?

If I was the Philly GM I'd look for RB in the draft.

How about the NE Patriots as they are done with Darrell Revis. The reports say that the Pat's will not pick up his what? 20 million dollar contract. On second thought and Pats and RB.They already have enough there and.... with Tom Brady.

The Patriots have also given CB Brandon Browner permission to pursue a trade. That want his Cap money back in the Cap money bank.

Denver will lose TE Justin Smith. That's a ton of production gone to reportedly Jacksonville. Just give me the $$$$ money $$$$ . He knows that the Broncos and Super bowl is nothing but a mirage. hahaha

That's just a wee bit of what I'm getting on about the NFL and this very exciting time in our NFL calendar.

GO PACK GO....GO HARD in 2015 ! SUPER BOWL !!

woodbuck27
03-10-2015, 07:56 AM
Green Bay Packer Free Agents:

There's little to no news about Tackle Bryan Bulaga's FA status. His agent Tom Condon is reportedly a low key sorta guy and not as available to the media as Randall Cobb'a agent Jimmy Sexton seems to be.

Bryan Bulaga has strong market value...and he may be a tough signing for TT. It's very very cold in Green bay late in the season and Bulaga may prefer a different climate and more so a boatload of money.

I hope Bulag and Packers gets done to keep the Packers OL together. So much of what Bryan Bulaga is thinking is tied to another former? OT Don Barkley.

Can TT cannot afford to lose both of these pieces?

The Packers CB formerly linked to the Seahawks is old news and out. Evidently CB Tramon Williams turned down the Packers offer of two years and $8 million total, thinking that he can get a longer term and more guaranteed money elsewhere. So much for his loyalty hahaha. NE or Philly and Tramon? [B]Mad money and Tramon looks like the headline.

TT and the Green Bay Packers need at CB now and I say more then at ILB and DT. Why...add this:

According to Paul Imig (FOX Sports Wisconsin) the Packers have not talked to CB Davon House's agent. So he looks gone ! He'll get a surprisingly good deal too.

The Minnesota Vikings reportedly have expressed an interest in former Packer LBer A.J. Hawk. I'm hearing that the Bengals may desire Hawk as well. I see him retiring unless he needs more money. Is his wife really really high maintenance ? :talk:

RFAs, Don Barclay, Jarrett Boykin, and Sean Richardson ....there's not much to report as of now.

GO TT GO ! GO PACK GO !!

Pugger
03-10-2015, 10:13 AM
Bulaga lives in Crystal Lake, IL in the offseason so I don't know if a warm climate would be a draw for him. His injury history could keep other suitors away.

Cheesehead Craig
03-10-2015, 11:17 AM
So I saw on ESPN that ILB Curtis Lofton would be a good pickup for the Pack. 8th year guy and played for NO. Anyone know much about him other than just linking to wikipedia or ESPN player pages? I didn't watch any Saints games so don't have any opinions.

Patler
03-10-2015, 11:36 AM
Bulaga lives in Crystal Lake, IL in the offseason so I don't know if a warm climate would be a draw for him. His injury history could keep other suitors away.

Yup. He's practically a Wisconsin kid, having grown up in Crystal Lake!

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-10-2015, 11:39 AM
The #Packers are expected to keep OT Bryan Bulaga, source says. They are closing in on a deal. High priority for them.

Via Ian Rapoport twitter, seems legit. thats great news

Pugger
03-10-2015, 11:43 AM
The #Packers are expected to keep OT Bryan Bulaga, source says. They are closing in on a deal. High priority for them.

Via Ian Rapoport twitter, seems legit. thats great news

Boy, this could be huge. If we can keep our 2 big FAs this will be one nice offseason already. :-)

Smidgeon
03-10-2015, 11:52 AM
Boy, this could be huge. If we can keep our 2 big FAs with hometown discounts this will be one nice offseason already. :-)

Fixed. For accuracy.

Carolina_Packer
03-10-2015, 12:10 PM

PB, I know that non-tendered means the Packers didn't offer him a contract. Has his contract expired? If so, I guess he just hits the FA market. I was impressed with Rajion Neal from last year's TC. Harris has good elusiveness, and can make guys miss, but he's buried on the depth chart and didn't seem to have much vision for kickoff returns, making him expendable.

pbmax
03-10-2015, 12:41 PM
PB, I know that non-tendered means the Packers didn't offer him a contract. Has his contract expired? If so, I guess he just hits the FA market. I was impressed with Rajion Neal from last year's TC. Harris has good elusiveness, and can make guys miss, but he's buried on the depth chart and didn't seem to have much vision for kickoff returns, making him expendable.

Yep, he had a one year deal but was not eligible for full FA. So he was a Restricted Free Agent. By non-tendering him, he can sign anywhere and the Pack doesn't have to count any offer on their books.

mraynrand
03-10-2015, 01:57 PM
So I saw on ESPN that ILB Curtis Lofton would be a good pickup for the Pack. 8th year guy and played for NO. Anyone know much about him other than just linking to wikipedia or ESPN player pages? I didn't watch any Saints games so don't have any opinions.

People seemed pretty high on him when he was with ATL, but I never saw it. He's Hawkesque. Reasonably solid, never makes impact plays. If he's replacing Jones, it's a slight (meh) upgrade.

pbmax
03-10-2015, 01:57 PM
I think Ian has the Lombardi offices bugged.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 31m31 minutes ago
Speaking of #Packers… what about BJ Raji? I’m told he’s weighing offers. Preference is to return, but definitely no sure thing now.

pbmax
03-10-2015, 02:08 PM
Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 4m4 minutes ago
Cobb has a 1st-year cap # of $5.35M. Added w/Tolzien's $1.35M and minus 2 guys knocked off top 51, #Packers at $25.9 under (pre-Bulaga)

pbmax
03-10-2015, 02:11 PM
Jersey Al - ALLGBP ‏@JerseyAlGBP 3m3 minutes ago
RT @NJAlberts: Per sources DAL LB McClain's agent talking with Packers

Not buying it.

pbmax
03-10-2015, 02:15 PM
He could replace House!

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 9m9 minutes ago
Report: Brandon Browner won't take pay cut http://wp.me/p14QSB-9J4c

red
03-10-2015, 02:42 PM
hmmmmm

jimmy graham is on the trade block

mraynrand
03-10-2015, 02:44 PM
hmmmmm

jimmy graham is on the trade block

Hello Jacksonville! or did they sign the Denver TE yet?

Oh wait, JV has nothing to trade...

red
03-10-2015, 02:49 PM
FUUUUCK

saints just traded him to the seahawks.

no joke

per nfl network

red
03-10-2015, 02:54 PM
seattle sends max unger and their 1st round pick #32 overall to NO for graham and a 4th rounder

red
03-10-2015, 03:00 PM
WTF is NO thinking

they saved a massive million dollars this year by trading graham, and they trade for a guy with a 4.5 million dollar cap hit

so by losing the top TE in football and getting a center they managed to ADD 3.5 million to their cap

red
03-10-2015, 03:02 PM
nick foles traded to st louis for sam bradford and draft picks

holoti ngata traded to the lions for some mid round pick- shit

both from ian rappaport

Striker
03-10-2015, 03:04 PM
So they add to their passing attack, while continuing to weaken their offensive line.

Makes sense.

Freak Out
03-10-2015, 03:04 PM
WTF over?

Patler
03-10-2015, 03:07 PM
seattle sends max unger and their 1st round pick #32 overall to NO for graham and a 4th rounder

Really??

I have to think that one through a bit.

Bossman641
03-10-2015, 03:07 PM

SHIT

Graham's deal is 4/40 MIL. Wonder how much cap room they have to give Wilson an extension. He's on last year of his rookie deal right? I can't imagine they would make him play out his rookie deal.

Freak Out
03-10-2015, 03:13 PM
Man....how nice would it be if Wilson held out. :-)

Striker
03-10-2015, 03:22 PM
If my math is correct, the Seahawks are around 10 million under the cap assuming the trade goes through.

red
03-10-2015, 03:38 PM
jake locker is retiring at age 26

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/10/jake-locker-will-retire/

denverYooper
03-10-2015, 03:40 PM
Really??

I have to think that one through a bit.

My reaction was the same after I saw the trade.

Graham is a good receiver but their protection was not great in the first place and they gave up one of their better OL for a TE who's not a strong blocker.

red
03-10-2015, 04:19 PM
LOL

keenan lewis, who is a CB for the saints has told them he no longer feels "safe or happy with the team being broken apart", and demands that the team either fully guarantees the final 3 years of his contract or release him

good luck with that

the funniest part might be a perfect example of a player being stupid and not really understanding his contracts real value

he signed a 5 year 25 million dollar deal with a 6 million dollar signing bonus, and a large jump in salary from year 3 to year 4. what he actually signed was a 3 year deal

mraynrand
03-10-2015, 04:20 PM

Man The Hurt Locker had just an awful, marred career. 26 and nothing to show for it. But...You're so young! Time to get outta the flow!

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/3iLYS2RdYvo/hqdefault.jpg

Patler
03-10-2015, 04:24 PM
This is when a wheeler-dealer like Schneider can get himself into trouble, at times. Those types of GMs can be very good at resurrecting a beaten down franchise, which Schneider very clearly and unequivocally did. Can't argue with successive Super Bowl appearances and one win. But, staying on top sometimes requires a little more restraint. If you are always looking for the next big deal to push you over the top, it can ruin the locker room and team chemistry, let alone change your roster more significantly and in ways you didn't expect.

Obviously, the Harvin deal didn't work as he hoped. I'm not sure about investing a starting center and a first round draft pick in a TE, no matter how good he is. Although, they do need pass catchers. A bit puzzling.

pbmax
03-10-2015, 04:28 PM
Jersey Al - ALLGBP ‏@JerseyAlGBP 16m16 minutes ago
what!?! RT @DraftDiamonds: New York Giants sign former #Packers & #Bengals OT Marshall Newhouse to a 2 year deal - http://nfldraftdiamonds.com/new-york-giants-sign-former-bengals-ot-marshall-newhouse-to-a-2-year-

pbmax
03-10-2015, 04:33 PM
Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 26m26 minutes ago
Per #NFL, #Packers tendered restricted free agents Don Barclay and Sean Richardson but did not make qualifying offer to Jarrett Boykin.

I heard he is dating Edgar Bennett's daughter.

pbmax
03-10-2015, 04:39 PM
Owen Daniels signed with the Bronco's and Gary Kubiak.

Now Mike Shanahan ran a run heavy offense (Kube's was his OC) that made John Elway happy. But Peyton is not John Elway, in some ways, he is reverse John Elway. Flacco is more Elway than Manning.

So I think there is a decent chance of a five-head explosion coming out of Denver this year. And while I feel bad for Peyton, Elway and the Broncos deserve the pile of rubble.

pbmax
03-10-2015, 04:42 PM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 1h1 hour ago
QB Shaun Hill is headed to the #Vikings.

Stupid sensible Vikings.

Striker
03-10-2015, 04:44 PM
Jason Cole ‏@JasonPhilCole 4m4 minutes ago
Four teams in running for Revis besides the #Patriots: #Jets, #Packers, #Steelers and mystery team.

denverYooper
03-10-2015, 04:44 PM
Wut?

Carolina_Packer
03-10-2015, 04:50 PM

Two missed top 10 QB picks in a row for the Titanics. Not good.

pbmax
03-10-2015, 04:55 PM
Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 7m7 minutes ago Howard, WI
Packers? PACKERS? RT @JasonPhilCole: Four teams in running for Revis besides the #Patriots: #Jets, #Packers, #Steelers and mystery team.

Not buying it.

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 4m4 minutes ago
Revis's reps have told teams they have $48M for 3yrs on the table now, with $40M guaranteed. My sense if that is from the Jets...

REALLY not buying it.

Hawk signs 2 year deal with the Bengals.

Joemailman
03-10-2015, 05:08 PM
A.J. Hawk signs with Bengals. http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/295814171.html

Patler
03-10-2015, 05:23 PM
A.J. Hawk signs with Bengals. http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/295814171.html

Nice for him. I think he said once that he was a die-hard Bengal fan growing up.

Patler
03-10-2015, 05:28 PM
Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 4m4 minutes ago
Revis's reps have told teams they have $48M for 3yrs on the table now, with $40M guaranteed. My sense if that is from the Jets...

3yrs/$48M with $40M guaranteed? Well, we KNOW that isn't from the Packers!

smuggler
03-10-2015, 05:29 PM
No way is that contract real. I also doubt Pittsburgh can realistically swallow that contract, given their cap issues lately...

Patler
03-10-2015, 05:34 PM
I don't know, it could be close to real. If the guy is worth $16 M/yr (he got that from NE, didn't he?) on a contract so short (3 years) there is no reason you couldn't guarantee $40M of it.

red
03-10-2015, 05:34 PM
this one shows that we thankfully aren't in the running for revis

Darrelle Revis - DB - Free Agent

The Bills are expressing interest in signing free agent CB Darrelle Revis.
Rex Ryan loves Revis and will obviously try to get him back. However, the Jets and Patriots are still considered the heavy favorites to land free agency's No. 1 player. The Bills, Steelers, Raiders, Chiefs and others are just in the background.
Related: Bills
Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Mar 10 - 5:46 PM

pbmax
03-10-2015, 06:06 PM
Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 3m3 minutes ago
He's from Louisiana. RT @AdamSchefter: Packers free-agent CB Tramon Williams will visit the New Orleans Saints tonight, per source.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 4s4 seconds ago
#Eagles announce the deal for Byron Maxwell… which seems liked it happened 9 years ago. 6 years, $63M, $25M fully guaranteed

red
03-10-2015, 06:26 PM
brandon browner is also on the saints radar

how is that even possible, they did this same thing last year, they brought in a bunch of guys when they were way over the cap to begin with

red
03-10-2015, 06:31 PM
i will start to get very worried if tramon leaves too

note all the attention raji is getting. didn't he also say last year that a lot of teams were interested, but came crawling back to us?

pbmax
03-10-2015, 06:32 PM
He isn't getting Day 1 money in either year.

mraynrand
03-10-2015, 07:07 PM
Nice for him. I think he said once that he was a die-hard Bengal fan growing up.

And now he is again, but with primo sideline access and seating.

Striker
03-10-2015, 08:09 PM
Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter · 16m 16 minutes ago
Darrelle Revis was asking teams for $40 million guaranteed. Jets' deal expected to top that. North of $40M guaranteed.

pbmax
03-10-2015, 08:14 PM
Revis' agent Tweeted he is a Jet.

Best line so far: Darrelle wanted his January's open again.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 2m2 minutes ago
Full terms RT @MMehtaNYDN: Breakdown of Revis contract: $16M FULLY gtd, $17M fully guaranteed, $15M ($6M fully gtd), $11M, $11M #nyj

Rastak
03-10-2015, 08:23 PM
Revis' agent Tweeted he is a Jet.

Best line so far: Darrelle wanted his January's open again.

With the cash this dude has pocketed, he can have a FANTASTIC time next January.

Everybody wants a ring but the dudes with brains are investing this short lived cash. Rings are great but do you go to work every day just to someday win employee of the year award and get a medal around your neck? You want to setup yourself and your family to live comfortably....or get filthy rich if that's your goal.....:-)

Joemailman
03-10-2015, 09:28 PM
Frank Gore goes to Indy, rather than Philly. Eagles going after Demarco Murray?

Rutnstrut
03-10-2015, 09:53 PM
This is when a wheeler-dealer like Schneider can get himself into trouble, at times. Those types of GMs can be very good at resurrecting a beaten down franchise, which Schneider very clearly and unequivocally did. Can't argue with successive Super Bowl appearances and one win. But, staying on top sometimes requires a little more restraint. If you are always looking for the next big deal to push you over the top, it can ruin the locker room and team chemistry, let alone change your roster more significantly and in ways you didn't expect.

Obviously, the Harvin deal didn't work as he hoped. I'm not sure about investing a starting center and a first round draft pick in a TE, no matter how good he is. Although, they do need pass catchers. A bit puzzling.

Weren't you one of the many that has said centers are easy to replace?

Cheesehead Craig
03-10-2015, 10:49 PM
First Jimmy Graham, now Drew Brees? Holy house cleaning Batman!

http://neworleans.suntimes.com/new-orleans-saints/7/126/116312/saints-trade-brees-jameis

That's one way to rebuild I guess.

Patler
03-10-2015, 11:00 PM
Weren't you one of the many that has said centers are easy to replace?

Nope. I was the one who argued they should opt to keep Wells instead of Finley because they had no suitable replacement for Wells and they had gotten by using Q when Finley was out in 2010. However, after losing Wells, I thought Saturday would be a reasonable replacement because I thought he still had a season or two left in him. He didn't.

For some reason, every chance you get you accuse me of this. Then, I remind you of my Wells/Finley position and you "remember".

If you are maybe, this time, referring to EDS last off season, I didn't mind losing him one bit, because I thought he was quite inadequate. Year end stats indicated he was the weak link in the run game, and the worst center the Packers had in pass protection since before Flanagan. EDS, I thought was easily replaced, not because he was a center, but because he really was not very good. I had hopes for Tretter, and liked the pick of Linsley in case Tretter didn't work out (which, he didn't).

Bretsky
03-10-2015, 11:25 PM
Nope. I was the one who argued they should opt to keep Wells instead of Finley because they had no suitable replacement for Wells and they had gotten by using Q when Finley was out in 2010. However, after losing Wells, I thought Saturday would be a reasonable replacement because I thought he still had a season or two left in him. He didn't.

For some reason, every chance you get you accuse me of this. Then, I remind you of my Wells/Finley position and you "remember".

If you are maybe, this time, referring to EDS last off season, I didn't mind losing him one bit, because I thought he was quite inadequate. Year end stats indicated he was the weak link in the run game, and the worst center the Packers had in pass protection since before Flanagan. EDS, I thought was easily replaced, not because he was a center, but because he really was not very good. I had hopes for Tretter, and liked the pick of Linsley in case Tretter didn't work out (which, he didn't).

I'm thinking you are developing an Odell Thurman like history with your offensive line calls...lol....Wells.......didn't you call a few future bring spots and essentially ended their careers.......who were they....Atlas Herrion ? Was there a Dwyer ? Adrian Klemm... .....did you like Orange Juice Coston ? And I think you might have made the stretch of comparing Bulaga to that pile of crap Ted Drafted......gosh I've blacked out and can't even remember Sherry Juice's name anymore....lol.......of course I know you were comparing their injury history only....but you really should have not used them in the same sentence......... I've always though Bulaga was our 2nd best OL

It's time for you to make a 100% turnaround Patler.

Join me in the Campen for OL coach of the Year Train !!!!

vince
03-10-2015, 11:29 PM
History shows that Ted made the right decision with Wells. They struggled with a couple injuries for a couple years with injuries to Jason Spitz and Saturday was a total bust but EDS held his own and now they're as well situated at Center as any team in the league - a cheap, young bad-ass who'll knock you down and a starting caliber back-up who was ready to start before getting hurt. Tretter was doing a great job at Center prior to getting hurt last year. And Linsley comes out of nowhere to almost instantly become one of the league's leading Centers. Center's covered and - minus Saturday - it has pretty much been handled for years without paying Wells big money to sit on the sidelines injured for the majority of his time since cashing in. He had some injuries in Green Bay that showed some flags as well. Bad back for an undersized interior lineman pushing 30 is a big reason not to pay Wells big money. That was the right call I'd say.

You can make an argument that Finley's been a bigger waste of money. That's been true I guess. There've not been too many bigger teases and wastes of money than Finley's been. When he was good - all to rare - he made the offense look unstoppable at times. Finley underperformed his money for sure but Wells is right up there in terms of wasted dollars spent on players.

smuggler
03-10-2015, 11:31 PM
In before the Bears trade for Brees...

pbmax
03-10-2015, 11:44 PM
Wells also wasn't the best lineman on the team. When Unger went out this year, the Seahawks couldn't function on offense.

I presume they think they have that fixed, over will get it fixed.

Patler
03-10-2015, 11:53 PM
I'm thinking you are developing an Odell Thurman like history with your offensive line calls...lol....Wells.......didn't you call a few future bring spots and essentially ended their careers.......who were they....Atlas Herrion ? Was there a Dwyer ? Adrian Klemm... .....did you like Orange Juice Coston ? And I think you might have made the stretch of comparing Bulaga to that pile of crap Ted Drafted......gosh I've blacked out and can't even remember Sherry Juice's name anymore....lol.......of course I know you were comparing their injury history only....but you really should have not used them in the same sentence......... I've always though Bulaga was our 2nd best OL

Either I'm confused, or you are. Maybe we both are! :lol: :grin:

I've always really liked Bulaga.....when he is on the field. I have, however, pointed out that you need a good backup for him, because I believe he has missed at least one start, and usually more every season so far. Somewhere in the last few pages you can find that I listed Bulaga as my #1 priority to re-sign, ahead of Cobb, because TT seems to be able to find WRs much more easily than OL. I had the same concerns about Wells, because he was always dinged up even when he was playing. Even so, he was a high priority for me because they had nothing behind him.

Atlas Herron - I was trying to read the tea leaves when they opted to keep him in GB for off season work rather than send him to NFL-E.

Sherry, as you call him (God help me, I can't remember his name either!) I disliked from the get-go. I thought he was just as awful when he broke his leg as he was in preseason. I have always contrasted Bulaga and him. Both were tried first at guard. Bulaga did well with it, Sherry was awful. Both went to RT with little or no prep. Bulaga ran with it; Sherry was awful.

The rest I think I ran hot and cold with, just as their careers ascended and declined.

vince
03-11-2015, 12:03 AM

Wow there's some names there. There've been a ton of lineman who've run the gammut. A lot of guys who didn't make it. I remember being high on Allen Barbre, who was an unmitigated disaster for about two games where he single-handedly got the QB destroyed. Great combine though. Now five years later he's serviceable in Philly. Some guys were just too big of projects. Giacomini. He's starting somewhere I'd say. That's about it. Newhouse got signed by the Giants. Poor bastards.

Sherry's gonna pop up somewhere before it's all said and done. Kansas City maybe.

Atlas Herrion had no stats whatsoever in the NFL. I'd take him over Babre. It took awhile but they got it figured out now I'd say. If Barclay and Tretter stay healthy for a change along with the starters they're talented and deep. Long live Campen.

Patler
03-11-2015, 12:14 AM
History shows that Ted made the right decision with Wells. They struggled with a couple injuries for a couple years with injuries to Jason Spitz and Saturday was a total bust but EDS held his own and now they're as well situated at Center as any team in the league - a cheap, young bad-ass who'll knock you down and a starting caliber back-up who was ready to start before getting hurt. Tretter was doing a great job at Center prior to getting hurt last year. And Linsley comes out of nowhere to almost instantly become one of the league's leading Centers. Center's covered and - minus Saturday - it has pretty much been handled for years without paying Wells big money to sit on the sidelines injured for the majority of his time since cashing in. He had some injuries in Green Bay that showed some flags as well. Bad back for an undersized interior lineman pushing 30 is a big reason not to pay Wells big money. That was the right call I'd say.

You can make an argument that Finley's been a bigger waste of money. That's been true I guess. There've not been too many bigger teases and wastes of money than Finley's been. When he was good - all to rare - he made the offense look unstoppable at times. Finley underperformed his money for sure but Wells is right up there in terms of wasted dollars spent on players.

Spitz was gone the year before Wells, I think. When they lost Wells, they had no one and had to scramble and sign Saturday. As I recall, TT tried to get a couple others, who signed elsewhere. Saturday was about all that was left when he signed. EDS wasn't really in the picture until late that season, after he had proven himself and his commitment to his profession. Somewhat of a checkered history before that.

I sure do like where they are with centers now, but it wasn't pretty between Wells and Linsley. Saturday was awful. EDS was functional, but not really very effective.

At least Wells wasn't a tease. When he played he was pretty good. Finley wasn't reliable even when he was healthy. Never knew for sure what you would get from Finley on a given day.